Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds that by 43% to 22% voters believe tha

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited October 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds that by 43% to 22% voters believe that Corbyn backs Remain

Interesting polling from YouGov this morning on how prominent political figures are perceived to view Brexit.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Ha.
  • Options
    48% to 27% May would Remain. That's interesting.

If she betrays Brexit people won't believe she's done so as a Leaver.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    LOL great cut through by Vince Cable on what is, after all, the LD's raison d'etre!
  • Options
    Um in your header its surely backwards on May? They think she's against Brexit 48 to 27.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Scott_P said:
    Arlene seems to be torpedoing Theresa May...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2018
    Apart from the delusion over Corbyn, the most striking figure there is that 45% don't know what Vince Cable would want. That is an astonishing communications failure by the LibDems given that they are trying to position themselves as the party of Remain. It suggests that they have considerable scope to improve their support at the expense of Labour, if they can only get their act together.

Edit: I see @TOPPING got there first.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 122
    Re 'Farage is a remainer' - that's the problem with assuming that with a big enough sample, you can get whatever accuracy you want - it ignores the fact that at least 5% of the population are jokers.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Scott_P said:
    To paraphrase Arlene - we cannot have Brexit.

And these are Mrs May's "allies"?

Comedy gold :D
  • Options
    More Tory voters than Labour think Jezza is a Remainer? So much for the 'Corbyn a secret Leaver' meme so loved by the PB Tories.
  • Options
    What's the point of the Lib Dems? They've got one policy that anyone remembers, and Invisible Vince can't even get that across.
  • Options

More Tory voters than Labour think Jezza is a Remainer? So much for the 'Corbyn a secret Leaver' meme so loved by the PB Tories.

There's nothing secret about the fact that Corbyn is a Leaver.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited October 2018

The hierarchy of sneer from Remainers is most enlightening. The only thing lower on their ladder of virtue than Boris is a female protestant unionist.

• Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Only slightly predictable....You just can’t fudge something like a customs union or regulatory barrier.

Arlene is quite right - this plan would place NI in a desperate position, unable potentially to freely trade with GB. Looks like May is taking orders from Robbins again. That always ends well.

What happened to ‘it is up to the EU to come back with proposals’? That was a decent approach. Planning the next set of concessions when yet again the EU have not moved at all is crazy.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The hierarchy of sneer from Remainers is most enlightening. The only thing lower on their ladder of virtue than Boris is a female protestant unionist.

Wrong.

Mark Reckless is on the lowest rung.

He’s lower than a snake’s bollocks.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Only slightly predictable....You just can’t fudge something like a customs union or regulatory barrier.

Arlene is quite right - this plan would place NI in a desperate position, unable potentially to freely trade with GB. Looks like May is taking orders from Robbins again. That always ends well.

What happened to ‘it is up to the EU to come back with proposals’? That was a decent approach. Planning the next set of concessions when yet again the EU have not moved at all is crazy.
    Who knew the vicars daughter would be a disaster at poker... ;)
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    To paraphrase Arlene - we cannot have Brexit.

And these are Mrs May's "allies"?

It's all "Comedy Gold". The Tories are, well, being Tories, Labour don't know their arse from there elbow, and you've got Vince Cable as your main man, with a coronation for Swinson once Invisible Vince fades away completely.
  • Options

There's nothing secret about the fact that Corbyn is a Leaver.
    It seems to be secret to the point of being under a DSMA Notice to most of your fellow voters.
  • Options
    I can understand 4% of voters thinking Farage backs Remain.

Brexit means he loses his job, which is one of the few upsides of Brexit.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    TGOHF said:

.....a female protestant unionist living in Hartlepool.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2018
    Said this a number of times, Jezza has by luck become the candidate that people pin their beliefs on, regardless of reality / what he says. Previous polling has shown basically a 50/50 split think he is for remain / leave.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,841

FPT, the 48/42 split against Kavanaugh pretty much mirrors the split in generic polling. Democrats overwhelmingly oppose him, Republicans overwhelmingly support him.

I expect this makes it a bit more likely that Democrats win the House, and a bit harder for Red State Democrats to retain their seats in the Senate.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    edited October 2018

Um in your header its surely backwards on May? They think she's against Brexit 48 to 27.

Yes @MikeSmithson you have the figures for May the wrong way around. People believe she would like to remain.

If anyone wants to know how different the public view politics then this is pretty high. I think most people on this board would peg May as a pragmatic remainer, and also Cameron and Blair as more ardent remainer.

Vince Cable is interesting, and I’m not sure it is necessarily a Libdem issue, insofar as I’m not sure how many people know who he is and which party he is in. Those who know probably figure for most of the positive negative answers.

Corbyn is also interesting because again on here most would probably peg Corbyn as a principled leaver from his voting record, so his fence sitting has probably led to the responses. Only problem is he can’t fence sit indefinitely, and there is probably an upside for SNP and Libdems, if he votes through a deal, and the Tories if he doesn’t.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,927
    I think Arlene Foster is quite right to make the Irish sea border a red line.
  • Options

Can't be long before Nigel sits on the Lords can it?

Lord Farage!!!!!!! Their Lordship's would have an attack of the vapours. :D
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Am I misreading or do the public think TM would rather remain? And therefore there is a mistake in the header?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    ajb said:

Re 'Farage is a remainer' - that's the problem with assuming that with a big enough sample, you can get whatever accuracy you want - it ignores the fact that at least 5% of the population are jokers.

There is a minority school of thought that thinks people like Farage are just anti-establishment contrarians, who would be arguing for us to join the EU if we weren’t already members.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    Pulpstar said:

Don't worry, there'll be a technical solution to that.

It'll be made a crimson line instead.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've been quite impressed by the DUP politicians on the whole question of the Brexit negotiations. They seem to take a very logical view.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Northern Ireland already has a different regulatory regime. Try getting an abortion there, or having a gay wedding. Arlene can’t have it both ways. Actually, she can, of course.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

I've been quite impressed by the DUP politicians on the whole question of the Brexit negotiations. They seem to take a very logical view.
    They'd have made a better job of negotiating than hopeless (hapless) Theresa...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, probably.
  • Options
    If the DUP cause a Hard Brexit then there should be a referendum in Great Britain on expelling Northern Ireland from The Union.

We should take back control from these bigots.

Why should we suffer because of 10 DUP MPs.

Did we lose a war?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited October 2018
    Off-topic: with splendidly ironic timing, a lady physicist has won the Nobel Prize.

Arthur Ashkin, Gérard Mourou and Donna Strickland win Nobel physics prize

American, Frenchman and Canadian awarded 9m Swedish kronor (£770,000) prize for work on advances in laser physics

Ashkin wins half of the prize for his development of “optical tweezers” which have allowed tiny organisms to be handled with light beams. Mourou and Strickland share a quarter of the prize each “for their method of generating high-intensity, ultra-short optical pulses,” the Nobel committee said.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/02/arthur-ashkin-gerard-mourou-and-donna-strickland-win-nobel-physics-prize
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I voted remain, and I understand all those calling for staying as close as possible. But the only way to negotiate was to come from No deal inwards to closer alignment. The government has its negotiating strategy all wrong. They could have been explicit with that strategy and put the pressure on the EU, and preparations could have been made for No deal as that was our initial stance.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Why should there be a different regulatory regime in GB and NI for womens' bodies? Surely unacceptable?
  • Options

Did we lose a war?

No, Theresa ****ed up the election.... :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I voted remain, and I understand all those calling for staying as close as possible. But the only way to negotiate was to come from No deal inwards to closer alignment. The government has its negotiating strategy all wrong. They could have been explicit with that strategy and put the pressure on the EU, and preparations could have been made for No deal as that was our initial stance.
    Yep, you should start with your bottom line (no deal) and go from there.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm actually I think May has done a better job than many give her credit for, and she'd have been better than say Boris. That said I think Foster would have been firmer and perhaps may have been the best negotiator for the whole of the UK. The DUP negotiated well for confidence and supply to the Tories.
  • Options
    11.12: Newsflash from America: E-commerce giant Amazon is DOUBLING its minimum wage, for US workers.

It will now pay at least $15 per hour, up from $7.25 previously.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2018/oct/02/oil-four-year-high-iran-sanctions-trump-italy-budget-eurozone-business-live
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

And if we refuse to pay £39m presumably he loses his pension too!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

It's all "Comedy Gold". The Tories are, well, being Tories, Labour don't know their arse from there elbow, and you've got Vince Cable as your main man, with a coronation for Swinson once Invisible Vince fades away completely.

The problem is Vince has always been a transitional leader - everyone knows that. There won't be a coronation, of that I am now certain.

Layla Moran will run and I think she will win - she was impressive at our Conference but then every partisan thinks all their speakers are excellent. Some would say there have already been five speeches at the Conservative Conference worthy of Cicero (the Roman not the former contributor on here).

As I'm diametrically opposed to the main plank of LD policy, I'm currently fairly semi-detached in my support but then I look over at the Conservative and Labour parties and see a lot of virtue in political non-alignment but you can't vote Non-Aligned at an election and I always vote.

The LD Party has to accept we will be leaving the EU and should be agitating for a deal as close to BINO as possible in that regard so staying in the CU as a minimum. Hoping somehow the whole thing can be stopped/reversed is simply a fool's errand.
  • Options

If the DUP cause a Hard Brexit then there should be a referendum in Great Britain on expelling Northern Ireland from The Union.

Did we lose a war?

I think that would make a hard Brexit more likely. Concern about the position of Northern Ireland is the only thing that stands in the way of a Canada-type deal with the EU.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm actually I think May has done a better job than many give her credit for, and she'd have been better than say Boris. That said I think Foster would have been firmer and perhaps may have been the best negotiator for the whole of the UK. The DUP negotiated well for confidence and supply to the Tories.
    The problem with Theresa May's approach is that she works out what a final sensible settlement should be, puts it forward, and expects everyone to agree that she's right, just repeating it when challenged. As it happens, she is right, but that's no way to negotiate.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

You appear to be the bigot - downgrading 10 elected MPs because of their geography.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,986
    edited October 2018
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

No. No. No. Isn’t that Arlene’s position?
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, assuming that's a genuine question, it is very silly.

You're arguing against all devolution. The point of devolution is difference in domestic law.

Customs and single market type affairs are foreign matters because they involve international trade and transport of goods, services, and people.

This is not a complicated point.

[I do think abortion should be legal in Northern Ireland but imposing it from Westminster makes a mockery of devolution].
  • Options
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1047040479936860160

Hang on a sec, I thought it was the EU that wanted to treat us as a third-party country with no special relationship.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I agree that May's idea of starting in the middle with a proposal that is predictably unacceptable to the EU has been a disaster. However, another approach might have been to start from the other side: BINO, and then negotiate concessions in return for our lack of representation, followed by a gradual drift away from the EU as more opt-outs and exceptions are agreed. While politically difficult, it would at least have achieved the aim of leaving the EU without unnecessarily damaging British industry.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,595

Did we lose a war?

No, just an election.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Hang on a sec, I thought it was the EU that wanted to treat us as a third-party country with no special relationship.

What's Verhofstadt wittering on about, we're not in the EU post Brexit, that's the whole point. With May hemmed in on all sides (Including rightfully by the DUP), no deal seems to be creeping inch by inch closer this morning.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, more to the point, the EU actively endorses discrimination based on nationality (free movement for citizens of member states, after all).
  • Options
    There are already different regulatory regimes in the UK.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I agree that May's idea of starting in the middle with a proposal that is predictably unacceptable to the EU has been a disaster. However, another approach might have been to start from the other side: BINO, and then negotiate concessions in return for our lack of representation, followed by a gradual drift away from the EU as more opt-outs and exceptions are agreed. While politically difficult, it would at least have achieved the aim of leaving the EU without unnecessarily damaging British industry.

May’s pre-negotiation red lines were the biggest mistake she made. And all for a good headline in the Daily Mail.

• Options
    edited October 2018

And there's a border in Ireland too, different currencies, taxes, duties..
  • Options

He speaks for the Parliament, not the EU27.

• Options

And already different regulatory regimes between Northern Ireland and the Republic. In neither case is a hard border needed.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

True, but that doesn't make his tweet any less bonkers. And of course the EU Parliament will have to ratify any deal, so he can't be completely ignored.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Did we lose a war?

No you lost the peace when Blair caved in to the DUP and SF

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

I seldom agree with you, Richard, but on this one you have a point. Once we are outside the EU, we will be able to dictate our own immigration policy and it won't be the EU's business though they are quite within their rights to have a view.

The notion of a skills-based immigration policy is the only viable option and hopefully we can move to a system where we treat all applicants the same irrespective of their country of origin.

I'm not averse to students and others coming here, learning here and taking those skills back to their countries - it may disadvantage us marginally but it's for the greater good and we should not oppose the promulgation of good practice and viable and valuable skills.

Nor should we be annoyed if someone comes along and does it better than us and teaches us for learning is ever a dialogue.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    FPT
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, it’s something similar to the USA/Canada Trusted Trader scheme, which operates along long unmanned sections of their shared border.

Regular border crossers fill in a form online with details of truck and cargo, paying taxes and tarrifs as appropriate. Occasional crossers can either register for the scheme or use the existing self-assessment procedures for VAT to square duties. Police and customs in the border region stop vehicles based on intelligence (as they do now) but there are no checks at the border. No physical border infrastructure is required except for the existing ANPR cameras that read numberplates of vehicles crossing the border, again as they do now.

Do you have a link explaining this? I googled it up and the what I'm seeing doesn't seem to match your description at all - it seems like there are lots of areas without physical barriers, but if you try to cross there you'll get arrested - see https://www.quora.com/Are-there-really-parts-of-the-US–Canada-border-that-are-unprotected
    Canada have a scheme of registered travellers who are allowed to cross borders in rural areas. https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/rabc-pfre/menu-eng.html

The main difference between this border and Ireland is that policing of the border in Ireland is only necessary for goods, not for people who are covered by the Common Travel Area agreement which isn’t changing.
    If you look that up it's just a couple of weird, exceptional areas - the middle of a national park, islands where hardly anyone lives the border is really unhelpful etc. And it doesn't seem to be anything to do with the Trusted Trader thing you mentioned, which seems to be a way of making the checks go faster at border controls, not a way of getting across the border without going through one.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Why should there be a different regulatory regime in GB and NI for womens' bodies? Surely unacceptable?
    then stop paying their MLAs salaries, theyre paid to review legislation
  • Options
    stodge said:

I seldom agree with you, Richard, but on this one you have a point. Once we are outside the EU, we will be able to dictate our own immigration policy and it won't be the EU's business though they are quite within their rights to have a view.

The notion of a skills-based immigration policy is the only viable option and hopefully we can move to a system where we treat all applicants the same irrespective of their country of origin.

I'm not averse to students and others coming here, learning here and taking those skills back to their countries - it may disadvantage us marginally but it's for the greater good and we should not oppose the promulgation of good practice and viable and valuable skills.

Nor should we be annoyed if someone comes along and does it better than us and teaches us for learning is ever a dialogue.
    I assume basically every EU member state has a skills-based immigration framework for third country nationals, so I am not sure Guy speaks for Berlin or Bucharest
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
  • Options
    edited October 2018

11.12: Newsflash from America: E-commerce giant Amazon is DOUBLING its minimum wage, for US workers.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2018/oct/02/oil-four-year-high-iran-sanctions-trump-italy-budget-eurozone-business-live

Newsflash: Amazon is also hiking its minimum wage in the UK too.

It just announced it will now pay at least £10.50 per hour in London, and £9.50 across the rest of the UK.

As in America, the rise will apply to all full-time, part-time, temporary (including those hired by agencies), and seasonal employees from the start of November.
  • Options

It just announced it will now pay at least £10.50 per hour in London, and £9.50 across the rest of the UK.

As in America, the rise will apply to all full-time, part-time, temporary (including those hired by agencies), and seasonal employees from the start of November.
    That seems out of character for Amazon.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    There is currently a border between NI and Ireland for currency, income tax, corporation tax, social taxes like National Insurance and VAT.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Sean_F said:

That seems out of character for Amazon.
    When I first saw it, I thought I bet they don't include temps or subsidiaries etc. But it seems its everybody, including WholeFoods.
  • Options

True, but that doesn't make his tweet any less bonkers. And of course the EU Parliament will have to ratify any deal, so he can't be completely ignored.
    There will be no deal. So no need for a vote in the EU parliament nor the UK parliament.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Pulpstar said:

What's Verhofstadt wittering on about, we're not in the EU post Brexit, that's the whole point. With May hemmed in on all sides (Including rightfully by the DUP), no deal seems to be creeping inch by inch closer this morning.
    I think his point (not very well expressed in a few characters) is that a deal with the U.K. which allows free trade privileges would not be allowed to discriminate between U.K. nationals and other EU nationals - basically just reiterating inseparability of 4 freedoms point. Nothing new or controversial.
  • Options
    what time is BoJo's speech?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @JosiasJessop FPT

You asked for details of the trusted traveller scheme

But you chose to ignore @Sandpit ‘s post explaining them

Suggest you read that

• Options
    stodge said:

The problem is Vince has always been a transitional leader - everyone knows that. There won't be a coronation, of that I am now certain.

Layla Moran will run and I think she will win - she was impressive at our Conference but then every partisan thinks all their speakers are excellent. Some would say there have already been five speeches at the Conservative Conference worthy of Cicero (the Roman not the former contributor on here).

As I'm diametrically opposed to the main plank of LD policy, I'm currently fairly semi-detached in my support but then I look over at the Conservative and Labour parties and see a lot of virtue in political non-alignment but you can't vote Non-Aligned at an election and I always vote.

The LD Party has to accept we will be leaving the EU and should be agitating for a deal as close to BINO as possible in that regard so staying in the CU as a minimum. Hoping somehow the whole thing can be stopped/reversed is simply a fool's errand.

You should stand for LD leader Stodge.
  • Options
    Does ‘discouragement’ of low-skilled workers mean that young Brits, instead of seeking bar work in the Balearics or the Canaries will pick vegetables around Boston instead?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,595

I thought the whole point of the new policy was that it wouldn't discriminate on the basis of nationality, but only skills (and possibly the presence or absence of a trade deal with the country, or trade block, of origin in question) ?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,669

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

then stop paying their MLAs salaries, theyre paid to review legislation
    That might focus Arlene’s mind....along with NI - UK regulatory alignment on gay marriage and abortion....since “regulatory alignment” is such an important principle.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    I see civil partnerships are to be extended to straight couples. Phew that's a relief.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    There is currently a border between NI and Ireland for currency, income tax, corporation tax, social taxes like National Insurance and VAT.
    But isn’t the point that the existence of different direct tax regimes doesn’t necessitate any form of border controls, and the EU framework for VAT and lack of currency controls removes the need for controls that would otherwise be required?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited October 2018
    Charles said:

@JosiasJessop FPT

Suggest you read that

I don't think he made a post explaining it? I asked for a post explaining the thing he mentioned, and he posted about a different thing?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Because of devolution.

Liberals believe in devolution and localism.
  • Options
    Mr. Dean, it was always a bit odd they weren't available to straight couples. I'd probably axe them for everyone, but if civil partnerships are to exist they shouldn't be limited to gay couples.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

what time is BoJo's speech?

One. I've already made arrangements to be out.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Theresa May.

If Boris had won the leadership he'd have kept George in the Cabinet... He wouldn't have sacked him and sent him out the back door. :D
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282

Off-topic: with splendidly ironic timing, a lady physicist has won the Nobel Prize.

Arthur Ashkin, Gérard Mourou and Donna Strickland win Nobel physics prize

American, Frenchman and Canadian awarded 9m Swedish kronor (£770,000) prize for work on advances in laser physics

Ashkin wins half of the prize for his development of “optical tweezers” which have allowed tiny organisms to be handled with light beams. Mourou and Strickland share a quarter of the prize each “for their method of generating high-intensity, ultra-short optical pulses,” the Nobel committee said.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/02/arthur-ashkin-gerard-mourou-and-donna-strickland-win-nobel-physics-prize

She is apparently the first woman to win even a share of the Physics Nobel for 55 years. The Italian was basically unhappy, as I understand it, that women were being promoted because they were women and not on merit because there was a desire to achieve gender equality. Nobels are not everything but this does tend to suggest that those women given these promoted posts are not being immensely creative with the positions they are given.
  • Options

Mr. Dean, it was always a bit odd they weren't available to straight couples. I'd probably axe them for everyone, but if civil partnerships are to exist they shouldn't be limited to gay couples.

Indeed. Hardly an eye-catching initiative though.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Does ‘discouragement’ of low-skilled workers mean that young Brits, instead of seeking bar work in the Balearics or the Canaries will pick vegetables around Boston instead?

Hmmmmmm, I rather doubt that.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Scott_P said:
    But isn’t the point that the existence of different direct tax regimes doesn’t necessitate any form of border controls, and the EU framework for VAT and lack of currency controls removes the need for controls that would otherwise be required?
    Ironically the person who'd tell you most strongly that divergent tax regimes do create an internal border is the EU
  • Options

Apart from the delusion over Corbyn, the most striking figure there is that 45% don't know what Vince Cable would want. That is an astonishing communications failure by the LibDems given that they are trying to position themselves as the party of Remain. It suggests that they have considerable scope to improve their support at the expense of Labour, if they can only get their act together.

Lib Dems have failed to differentiate themselves from Labour - they are always attacking the Conservatives not Labour.

• Options

Apparently ending UK citizens’ freedom of movement in the EU only affects metropolitan elitists with second homes in Tuscany, so all the young, working class Brits who take advantage of it will be fine. It’s Project Fear to say otherwise.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    Charles said:

@JosiasJessop FPT

Suggest you read that

I have read it. And I didn't choose to ignore it; I'm afraid it falls into exactly the situation I'm talking about.

Still, it's good that your certainty about the 'technical solution' is based on rather wispy stuff.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

There will be a SAWS scheme of some sort. Relax, your future supply of cheap strawberries is assured.
  • Options

Lib Dems have failed to differentiate themselves from Labour - they are always attacking the Conservatives not Labour.

That’s not what Labour people say!
    Although there are more LD/Con ‘marginals’ than LD/Lab ones. So Labour votes are often the ones to squeeze.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Scott_P said:
    Ironically the person who'd tell you most strongly that divergent tax regimes do create an internal border is the EU.

Not the EU, the Commission! That’s very different.

• Options

Polruan said:

Scott_P said:
    Ironically the person who'd tell you most strongly that divergent tax regimes do create an internal border is the EU
    I can see there’s a body of opinion in the EU that closer harmonisation of direct taxes is beneficial, but hadn’t noticed much argument that they created internal borders or undermined the four freedoms - unless specific rules are discriminatory. But territoriality principles etc. are fine. What were you thinking of in particular?
This discussion has been closed.