Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Kavanaugh Supreme Court nomination: Trump ups the ante by

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited October 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Kavanaugh Supreme Court nomination: Trump ups the ante by mocking the woman who says she was sexually assaulted

In the betting PaddyPower make it 3/10 that Brett Kavanaugh will be confirmed as Justice of the Supreme Court in 2018 and 21/10 that he won’t.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Trump is a tosser.

Who knew?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited October 2018
    I’m sure the reaction of Trump and the GOP would be different if Brett Kavanaughwas a Mexican or Muslim.
  • Options
    Like the Madness of King George.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    America grates again.
  • Options
    Conservatives queing to get into the auditorium
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    All of this is a symptom rather than just a cause of the USA's ills. It is now a country where partisan reliability is far more important than other characteristics. In that respect it resembles the USSR or tribal African countries. It is unlikely to be good for the USA in the medium term, never mind the long term.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited October 2018

You sure? I was expecting it to be half empty :D
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

All of this is a symptom rather than just a cause of the USA's ills. It is now a country where partisan reliability is far more important than other characteristics. In that respect it resembles the USSR or tribal African countries. It is unlikely to be good for the USA in the medium term, never mind the long term.

It is like Venice in the 18th century. Elections cost more than ever, partisan fury and identity is all, while the foundations of its prosperity are quietly dissolving.

You probably need an external stressor to snap them out of it, but why would the Chinese do that? Much better to wait.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sky reporting huge demand and the auditorium will be full.

Also party thoughts are that Boris has peaked
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

The queuing will be staged - seems to have been well leaked to various sources...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Sky reporting huge demand and the auditorium will be full.

Also party thoughts are that Boris has peaked
    Sounds like wishful thinking to me...
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

I’m sure the reaction of Trump and the GOP would be different if Brett Kavanaughwas a Mexican or Muslim.

Not sure we'd be talking about his nomination to SCOTUS if he was :)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The queuing will be staged - seems to have been well leaked to various sources...
    How do you stage queuing
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    TGOHF said:

Mrs May saying to Johnson "Mine's bigger than yours".

And the public says why don't the pair of you just grow up?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    I see that Shaun Bailey is attacking Sadiq Khan for being 'Showbiz Sadiq'

This seems dumb to me - the London mayor is an ambassador for the city, and the only time the Tories won was with Boris who dialled up showbiz whenever he could. I'm sure he'll develop better lines, but not a promising start.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    You get the people at the front to double round to the back?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    Get people to arrive earlier than they otherwise would.

Queueing is inevitable as long as the doors are closed and always happens every single year for the PMs speech. Why would this year be any different?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    shut the inside doors G, very simple. I watched a bit last night and it was like a graveyard and the audience that was there were in the waiting room, no young faces to be seen.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    tpfkar said:

This seems dumb to me - the London mayor is an ambassador for the city, and the only time the Tories won was with Boris who dialled up showbiz whenever he could. I'm sure he'll develop better lines, but not a promising start.

Let's not forget that in both his London elections Boris was up against Ken. He might have found it harder against Sadiq
  • Options

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    Ask loyalists and staff to turn up early and don't let anyone in.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    shut the inside doors G, very simple. I watched a bit last night and it was like a graveyard and the audience that was there were in the waiting room, no young faces to be seen.
    For security the doors are always (to my knowledge) closed until the last minute for the PMs speech which isn't the case for others. That creates the queueing effect handily too. It would be an unprecedented shock if there was no queuing.

Even May sceptics are going to want to hear what the PM has to say anyway. Nobody who has paid to go to Conference whatever their views would want to miss this.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Let's not forget that in both his London elections Boris was up against Ken. He might have found it harder against Sadiq
    In his first election Ken was still a force to be reckoned with not a farce.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

What awesome track record of achievement is Sadiq going to roll out in his campaign ?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    Morning Malc.

Are you saying Mother Theresa's Faking It? :D
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,524
    edited October 2018

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

Queueing is inevitable as long as the doors are closed and always happens every single year for the PMs speech. Why would this year be any different?
    It's all good practice for post Brexit Britain.

Queueing for passport control on holiday, queueing for customs, queueing for portaloos on the M20, queueing for rationed avocados.

It will help immigrants integrate with British traditions.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    edited October 2018
    GIN1138 said:

Watching it now (on the politics channel), and the auditorium is only a third full, if that. How many seats does it hold? How many MP's will be there, or even Cabinet Ministers?

Edit: and what is the weather like outside or are they all being given another chance to buy Tory Party mugs and Save Theresa goodies?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

Queueing for passport control on holiday, queueing for customs, queueing for portaloos on the M20, queueing for rationed avocados.

If people have to queue they won't go to Spain. The Spanish know this - hence there wont be long queues to get into Spain.

Project Fear and logic are rarely bedfellows.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,524

Trump is a tosser.

Who knew?

Yes, just when you think he couldn't stoop lower, he does. He could win a limbo dance contest vs a snake.
  • Options
    Iain Dale attended Boris's presentation and was sat in the upper tiers. He said that it is true that those on the main floor were overjoyed but he said that while some joined in in the upper tiers, many did not
  • Options
    OchEye said:

GIN1138 said:

Watching it now (on the politics channel), and the auditorium is only a third full, if that. How many seats does it hold? How many MP's will be there, or even Cabinet Ministers?

Edit: and what is the weather like outside or are they all being given another chance to buy Tory Party mugs and Save Theresa goodies?
    Don't judge until she's on the stage. The bottom front section is reserved for the cabinet etc and they won't arrive until the last moment. The public will be at the back and in the rafters. See how busy they are.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

GIN1138 said:

I would expect all the cabinet and many mps
  • Options

Trump is a tosser.

Who knew?

Just found this, looks like the NYT has trumped 46-1

https://youtu.be/60zE7B-09cM
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    If only the Russians would release the Golden Shower videos
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

Don't be ridiculous. Surely all the advocados will rot in customs hold ups along with the rest of the fresh fruit?
  • Options

Iain Dale attended Boris's presentation and was sat in the upper tiers. He said that it is true that those on the main floor were overjoyed but he said that while some joined in in the upper tiers, many did not

Ian Dale hates Boris though so he wouldn't necessarily be an independent witness.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

tpfkar said:

Agreed - and likewise Sadiq only had to beat Zac Goldsmith who lacked star quality and was damaged goods by polling day. Sadiq v Boris may have been a close fight.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Trump is a tosser.

Who knew?

Yes, just when you think he couldn't stoop lower, he does. He could win a limbo dance contest vs a snake.
    If you are referring to the clip where he jokes about having one beer, that was beyond acceptable. He is disgusting and America deserves better, much much better.

Shame on him
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Ian Dale hates Boris though so he wouldn't necessarily be an independent witness.
    Is there no critic of Boris you cannot accept. Were you there
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    Foxy said:

Trump is a tosser.

Who knew?

It is all Alice in Wonderland stuff. Trump thinks attacking the woman is good for a positive response from his base. Yet the base think the elite are stitching the country up. As far as I can see from the AEP article, Kavanaugh is about as East Coast elite as they come.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    For security the doors are always (to my knowledge) closed until the last minute for the PMs speech which isn't the case for others. That creates the queueing effect handily too. It would be an unprecedented shock if there was no queuing.

Even May sceptics are going to want to hear what the PM has to say anyway. Nobody who has paid to go to Conference whatever their views would want to miss this.
    For sure
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Morning all.

Every time I think I've seen Maximum Maybot, she surpasses herself with her tone-deafness.

The stories trailing May's speech say that she has identified the voters she needs to take back from Corbyn: "They want to support a party that is decent, moderate and patriotic. One that puts the national interest first".

She genuinely doesn't get it. People who value "patriotic" and "national interest" above all else are still voting Conservative. But if you can't afford a home, you don't care about "national interest". If your season ticket has gone up yet again, you don't care about "patriotic". "It's in the national interest" was her response to the nurse who challenged her about low pay in the GE interview and look how that went down.

Unless she genuinely pulls a rabbit out of the hat in her speech, my expectation of the next election has swung this week from "too close to call" to Labour win.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Trump is a tosser.

Who knew?

It is all Alice in Wonderland stuff. Trump thinks attacking the woman is good for a positive response from his base. Yet the base think the elite are stitching the country up. As far as I can see from the AEP article, Kavanaugh is about as East Coast elite as they come.
    Yes but he's their East Coast elite as is Trump a New York tycoon.

It's what Yes, Minister would call an irregular verb.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135

Class division. Remainers in the dress circle, plebs leavers in the stalls.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

He needs first of all to get noticed.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

Don't be ridiculous. Surely all the advocados will rot in customs hold ups along with the rest of the fresh fruit?
    Freudian slipperiness? :smile:
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

If people have to queue they won't go to Spain. The Spanish know this - hence there wont be long queues to get into Spain.

I had to queue yesterday to get back into UK, lots of idiots use the electronic gates and then do anything but look at the camera and wonder why it does not work.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

I had to queue yesterday to get back into UK, lots of idiots use the electronic gates and then do anything but look at the camera and wonder why it does not work.
    Brexit will not cure stupid.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

I endorse that with a passion
  • Options
    Always good to see a Brit win a Nobel prize.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1047366792308514817

I guess he didn't go to the Labour conference then.

Both main parties are in their worst state in my lifetime.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

GIN1138 said:

Is there no critic of Boris you cannot accept. Were you there
    Fact of the matter is Boris is A List. He is exciting and full of ideas, the paparazzi love him. I'm not saying he'd be a great PM but the contrast between his fizz and energy with May's insipid, tone-deaf managerialism is stark. Just by being alive Boris makes May look uninspiring.

It was really funny yesterday watching Gavin Williamson (a bloke who shouldn't be anywhere near ministerial office; another black mark against May) sauntering through conference with nobody around him, and then Boris after him surrounding by a hundred photographers. LOL.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    Morning Malc.

Hello GIN, she should just pack it in whilst she has a shred of credibility left , let some of the other losers get pelters instead. I do think she is useless but is also on a hiding to nothing with the dingbats she has to deal with on either side of the divide in the Tory party. She chose to keep all the deadwood there and so must accept the pelters, anybody with a pair would have chosen a bunch of newbies for cabinet and got rid of all that deadwood from the start.
  • Options

If Adonis is being booed then there is hope for the Cons yet.

• Options
    Oh please, please, not general election.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

Also, if there’s even the smallest chance of a repeat of last year’s fiasco you wouldn’t risk missing it.
  • Options

Indeed - it is to be hoped that TM can get us over the line in march and move the agenda onto domestic issues

Labour though are sinking deeper and deeper into the mire and that is long term
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

tpfkar said:

Plus Johnson hadn't really been found out when he was running for Mayor of London. His flaws have had much more publicity in the intervening years.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

Also, if there’s even the smallest chance of a repeat of last year’s fiasco you wouldn’t risk missing it.
    I'm still hoping she will give her speech in rap to appeal to the younger audience.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    Morning Malc.

Hello GIN, she should just pack it in whilst she has a shred of credibility left , let some of the other losers get pelters instead. I do think she is useless but is also on a hiding to nothing with the dingbats she has to deal with on either side of the divide in the Tory party. She chose to keep all the deadwood there and so must accept the pelters, anybody with a pair would have chosen a bunch of newbies for cabinet and got rid of all that deadwood from the start.
    Yep - keeping on Hammond was a big mistake. She was following the Gordon Brown approach of sidelining the talent and surrounding herself with mediocrity in an attempt to stifle a challenge.

Hopefully long gone by next Summer.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

Brexit will not cure stupid.
    Unfortunately
  • Options
    I'm on:

Chequers 1.66
    Canada 2.0
    Boris 2.5
    Global Trading Nation 6.0

Norway at 6.0 is tempting.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately (we'll see later!) I'm limited to tuppence-ha'penny on each bet anyway.
  • Options

Indeed - it is to be hoped that TM can get us over the line in march and move the agenda onto domestic issues

Labour though are sinking deeper and deeper into the mire and that is long term
    You might be being a touch optimistic to think that May has any ideas on domestic issues that can unite her party (or even obtain enough support to get through Parliament). The 2017 manifesto, and Hammond’s inability to propose tax changes requiring parliamentary approval in his budgets suggests that the malaise isn’t just down to Brexit.
  • Options

I'm on:

Chequers 1.66
    Canada 2.0
    Boris 2.5

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately (we'll see later!) I'm limited to tuppence-ha'penny on each bet anyway.

I doubt she will bother with Boris.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited October 2018
    OchEye said:

Trump is a tosser.

Who knew?

Just found this, looks like the NYT has trumped 46-1

https://youtu.be/60zE7B-09cM
    The male presenter playing the expert role seems to be confused by the NYT having adjusted the figures to today's dollar values.

ETA it might explain why Trump is so keen to get Kavanaugh's bottom on the Scotus bench, if he is worried about being prosecuted for tax evasion.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I'm on:

Chequers 1.66
    Canada 2.0
    Boris 2.5

Quite likely to make a joke about him, I think.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Polruan said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing

I'm still hoping she will give her speech in rap to appeal to the younger audience.
    If she can address the Irish backstop while rhyming ‘chequers’ and ‘feckers’ she’ll be on course for an overall majority next time round.
  • Options
    Ooh

Tory MP: We need a strong leader

James Duddridge has submitted a letter of no confidence in Theresa May.

The MP for Rochford and Southend East says in his letter to Graham Brady, chair of the 1922 committee: “I am normally a loyalist, served in the Whip’s Office for nearly five years and have never voted against the government.

“However, there comes a point that blind loyalty is not the right way forward.

“We need a strong leader, someone who believes in Brexit and someone to deliver what the electorate voted for.

“The Prime Minister seems incapable of doing this.

“I have not met a single MP who thinks she will lead us into another election after the last disastrous snap election.

“We will fail to cut through on issues other than Brexit until we are beyond Brexit, yet the can is kicked further and further down the road.

“I write this with heavy heart, however we now need a proper leadership election and to move on.”
  • Options
    OT.

Headlines in our local paper.

Having gone to four weekly bin collections Aberconwy Council are seeking an 11.8% council tax rise next year.

This is in Labour run Wales
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I'm on:

Chequers 1.66
    Canada 2.0
    Boris 2.5

Theresa May making a joke? :D
  • Options
    I expect her to be fairly combative. It will be a deal based on the Chequers proposals or how do we work together to mitigate no deal at all? I think she was genuinely angry after Salzburg and we will see some of that anger today.

I expect her to announce a series of steps her government will take in the next few weeks for the latter possibility.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Fenster said:

Fact of the matter is Boris is A List. He is exciting and full of ideas, the paparazzi love him. I'm not saying he'd be a great PM but the contrast between his fizz and energy with May's insipid, tone-deaf managerialism is stark. Just by being alive Boris makes May look uninspiring.

In days of yore, the Court Jester / Fool was often very entertaining, but no one made the mistake of thinking he should govern just because he made people laugh.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

I'm on:

Chequers 1.66
    Canada 2.0
    Boris 2.5

I didn't say it would be funny!
  • Options

Ooh

The MP for Rochford and Southend East says in his letter to Graham Brady, chair of the 1922 committee: “I am normally a loyalist, served in the Whip’s Office for nearly five years and have never voted against the government.

“We need a strong leader, someone who believes in Brexit and someone to deliver what the electorate voted for.

“I have not met a single MP who thinks she will lead us into another election after the last disastrous snap election.

“We will fail to cut through on issues other than Brexit until we are beyond Brexit, yet the can is kicked further and further down the road.

“I write this with heavy heart, however we now need a proper leadership election and to move on.”

He's spot on.

• Options

Ooh

Oh dear... Just what Theresa needs 20 minutes before she gives her speech! :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

I'm on:

Chequers 1.66
    Canada 2.0
    Boris 2.5

I didn't say it would be funny!
    :D
  • Options

Ooh

Why do this the morning of the speech and not after she's given it? Surely her speech will move the agenda on unless another letter comes out? Whereas if done after the speech this would come across more as a reaction.

Insread backstabbing her this morning looks like a cowards way of doing it to me. Not quite Mark Reckless but not far off.
  • Options

OchEye said:

GIN1138 said:

I would expect all the cabinet and many mps
    Expected, yes, standing and applauding her every bon mot and witty remark, and definitely giving a 10 minute plus standing ovation at the end.... And then?
  • Options

Ooh

Why do this the morning of the speech and not after she's given it? Surely her speech will move the agenda on unless another letter comes out? Whereas if done after the speech this would come across more as a reaction.

Insread backstabbing her this morning looks like a cowards way of doing it to me. Not quite Mark Reckless but not far off.
    Possibly because there are a few other MPs scheduled to announce their letters after the speech to keep it top of the agenda?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Ooh

nutjob
  • Options

Ooh

Maybe there's going to be an orchestrated series of letters going in today?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    Morning Malc.

Yep - keeping on Hammond was a big mistake. She was following the Gordon Brown approach of sidelining the talent and surrounding herself with mediocrity in an attempt to stifle a challenge.

Gordon Brown's cabinet had pretty much every senior Labour figure in it, including leadership rivals.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Ooh

Oh dear... Just what Theresa needs 20 minutes before she gives her speech! :D
    He’s on team Boris. What do you expect from a rat?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Yes, and so far job done. I was surprised to see people saying it's been a disaster, it seems to me to have gone OK. Nothing memorable, but that's probably a good thing in the circumstances, and Boris has fallen rather flat, which is helpful.

Of course things might change in the next hour or so.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Ooh

Very poor timing. What a stupid thing to do.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Ooh

Because his immediate prime interest is in disrupting May's speech.

Stupid stunt.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I'm on:

Chequers 1.66
    Canada 2.0
    Boris 2.5

Yes but more likely to be a not subtle reference rather than calling him by name.
  • Options

Ooh

Stupid stunt.
    I think auto-correct changed the final word of your post.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Ooh

Possibly because there are a few other MPs scheduled to announce their letters after the speech to keep it top of the agenda?
    Go big or go home.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yes, and so far job done. I was surprised to see people saying it's been a disaster, it seems to me to have gone OK. Nothing memorable, but that's probably a good thing in the circumstances, and Boris has fallen rather flat, which is helpful.

Of course things might change in the next hour or so.
    I said as long as she keeps her voice and the stage set doesn't fall down around her head it'll be considered a "win" for Mrs May.

But talk about setting the bar low... All reminds me of IDS's leadership I must say...
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Ooh

He believes Boris is the answer. He is wrong.
  • Options

Ooh

Stupid stunt.
    They are pathetic. Hope TM takes them on and wins a vnoc easily
  • Options
    Kavanaugh now 1/7 to be confirmed; 7/2 not to be. That's a huge change since the start of this thread.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    Morning Malc.

She didn't have a choice. Well, she did - she could have resigned but given that she didn't resign, she wasn't strong enough to replace Hammond immediately post-GE. Indeed, by all accounts, she was planning to replace him so while she can be blamed for a lot, I don't think you can lay the whole of the blame for that one at her door. You can of course blame her for the election result and for not then quitting.

She won't be long gone by next summer - there's too much going on to take two months out on a leadership election - but I do think she'll go during next summer.
  • Options
    Speech now 11.45.
This discussion has been closed.