Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The sum of all fears

1235»

Comments

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    currystar said:

I think modern cars are just too good. I know that sounds mad but I have a three year old Fiesta with 35,000 on the clock. It drives like it did the first day I got it. There will be no rust problems and it has just sailed through its first MOT with absolutely nothing to report. I normally replace my car every three years but there really is no point with this one as it remains in perfect condition. Cars are just made too well, there is no need to replace them.

That may well be true, but a sudden drop like this is probably due to something else.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,884
    TGOHF said:
    And their sales are being cannibalised by other VAG brands. If you want a Golf R you also have the choice of enjoying that that distinctive DSG farting sound in a Cupra R, Octavia vRS or S3.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780

DavidL said:

No, we will see that the hysteria was just that, that life goes on as before, that the fear stories were simply fantasies and that UK is perfectly capable of operating successfully outside the EU.

I agree that May's failure to build any kind of a consensus has been a major weakness. I have said many times before that the government should have recognised that the negotiation of this deal was a national interest not a party one. I have argued before that Peter Mandelson should have been involved, for example. Brexit has been handled as badly as it possibly could have been in many respects but as we get to the point choices will narrow and people will have to decide whether to respect the decision of the British people or not.

The way to make everyone happy with this process would be to put a thing in the exit agreement allowing the UK to rejoin within 12 months of leaving (and ending the transition) if they so choose, then have a re-referendum *after* being out of the EU for a bit.
    I really can't see the EU signing up for that but its quite an amusing idea.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:
    Gee it's almost as if the public haven't appreciated being lied to regarding VW's emissions etc
    Try reading the article - it's that VW simply haven't been able to meet the stricter tests with existing models.
    The public would very likely have carried on buying the same old crap had they been allowed to.

It does not speak well (to put it mildly) of VW, but you give public opinion way too much credit.
    so manufacturer stopped from selling illegal products sees sales drop
    edited October 2018

Nissan aren't happy. I really think people need to wake up to the damage Brexit is doing and is going to do.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/oct/04/nissan-becomes-latest-manufacturer-to-warn-against-hard-brexit

5 live business were reporting on the car industry problems this morning. New car sales in UK are down 20% and in Germany 30%. The reasons given were the assault by governments on diesel, the high cost of new cars, the ending of ppi compensation payouts in the UK, the new emission rules slowing the delivery to the customers, high priced electric cars and hybrids, and huge deterioration of value the day you drive out of the garage. Also fears Trump will hit european car makers with tariffs.

The car industry is in a mess and needs to slow production and slash prices due to the over supply. The opinion was that while brexit is causing uncertainty the car makers have many more fundamental problems with their products

Funny that UK reporting does not mention the huge drop (30%) in Germany
    reading the German press they have some big problems

60% of output is diesel and the government is now finally forcing their industry to meet the very legislation they themselves proposed. A new range of legislation is on the horizon and their industry cant meet the spec.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

People can be very cruel to fat people. Not good. It's one of the nastiest and hard to shift forms of prejudice. You see it on the left and the right. Fat cats for example.

True enough. I'm sorry to say I get flares of nasty thoughts about very overweight people at times, particularly after I manage to lose some weight, but I hope at least I recognise that and chastise myself for doing so.
    Hmm. One should never be nasty to people but I'm very concerned about the attempts by some morbidly obese people to try to normalise what is a profoundly unhealthy lifestyle. We should be encouraging people to lose weight, not declaring something unhealthy to be normal.
    Agreed. There are complicated issues around morbid obesity, depression and self image of which we should be understanding and compassionate but saying its ok to be fat is not the way to go. The health consequences are simply too adverse both for the individual and society.
    Mcdonnell making it up as he goes along on Sky
  • currystar said:

Nissan aren't happy. I really think people need to wake up to the damage Brexit is doing and is going to do.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/oct/04/nissan-becomes-latest-manufacturer-to-warn-against-hard-brexit

5 live business were reporting on the car industry problems this morning. New car sales in UK are down 20% and in Germany 30%. The reasons given were the assault by governments on diesel, the high cost of new cars, the ending of ppi compensation payouts in the UK, the new emission rules slowing the delivery to the customers, high priced electric cars and hybrids, and huge deterioration of value the day you drive out of the garage. Also fears Trump will hit european car makers with tariffs.

The car industry is in a mess and needs to slow production and slash prices due to the over supply. The opinion was that while brexit is causing uncertainty the car makers have many more fundamental problems with their products

I think modern cars are just too good. I know that sounds mad but I have a three year old Fiesta with 35,000 on the clock. It drives like it did the first day I got it. There will be no rust problems and it has just sailed through its first MOT with absolutely nothing to report. I normally replace my car every three years but there really is no point with this one as it remains in perfect condition. Cars are just made too well, there is no need to replace them.
    My BMW which I bought in Feb 16 with 8 miles on the clock having been registered in Dec 15 was greatly discounted by £8,000 and includes full 5 year free service and parts .

It drives like a dream, has a road tax of £30, does 55 mpg, and I have little doubt I will have it for many years to come
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    currystar said:

I literally yesterday replaced my wife's car (petrol zafira that drank fuel) with a diesel as she now has a new job 70 miles away..

That 3 year old diesel cost £21k new but cost me £9k so the garage must of bought it for £7k max....
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Vince Cable accuses May of entering a 'fantasy competition' with Jeremy Corbyn by promising an end to austerity in a clear pitch for fiscally conservative, classically liberal Tory Remainers votes
    https://mobile.twitter.com/vincecable/status/1047761672306397185

Vince who?
    Vince Cable, Mr Mortimer. That`s what he wrote. I have the feeling that you are so busy buying and selling books, that you have fogotten how to read.
  • NEW THREAD

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    RoyalBlue said:

People have control over what they eat and how much exercise they do. Obesity already costs the NHS billions. We are the fattest nation in Europe, and British children are now fatter than American ones.

Being fat is not an identity. The vast majority of people who are fat are so because of their personal choices. Highlighting the consequences of people’s actions is not ‘fat-shaming’. Is pointing out the effects of smoking or excessive alcohol consumption a form of prejudice too?

Pretty harsh there, pardner.

Plenty of underlying reasons why people are overweight other than "greed".
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

"We can never leave the CU".

How do you think they will manage that?

Turkey isn’t in The Customs Union.
    Yesterday TM delivered the starkest of warnings to the hard brexiteers that no one will get all they wish for and compromise is needed. There was a significant warning to those who pursue a hard brexit that the end result could well be no brexit at all

In a very well received conference speech she is clearly laying down the marker that there may be an overwhelming parliamentary demand for a second referendum if she fails to get a deal

I would say that this warning needs to be taken on board by those who seek to put a border in NI and impede just in time manufacturing or we will continue to be a member of the EU with no hope of getting another leave vote in the foreseeable future
    Yesterday May was all things to all people, just as she is one day every year. May promising big at Conference time, and not delivering on that through year is one thing she is at least consistent in.

I’m most shocked by lack of policy and policy detail from this weeks conference, it can’t all be wait to see what happens, subtracting Brexit from everything there’s still much to be improved, if you’ve been in nearly a decade you need to be considered full of ideas and solutions for tomorrow to stop people thinking you’re yesterday. That’s the Tories real opponent, endless hours wittering on about Corbyns anti Semitism on a par with Hitler and how he’s in pocket of Putin and the GRU is just lazy wasting precious air time. whatever the Brexit there is a whole list of things to be addressed before the next conference, not addressing now sounds like there isn’t enough ideas, planning, or grip of it. That’s the main take out from this weeks conference.

Ill advised jig of joy, Chequers stubbornness (without actually being able to say the word Chequers) lack of detail meaning promises quickly picked apart, everything about that speech was horrid.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    As I wondered around Nice airport yesterday there was a flight from Rome and another from Liverpool. The difference in size would have to be measured in percentages of tons. I fear that in three or four years time when we assume full European Pariah status they will put a surcharge on us for weight and lack of dress sense
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Vince Cable accuses May of entering a 'fantasy competition' with Jeremy Corbyn by promising an end to austerity in a clear pitch for fiscally conservative, classically liberal Tory Remainers votes

https://mobile.twitter.com/vincecable/status/1047761672306397185

Vince who?
    The politician who danced before Theresa.
This discussion has been closed.