Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB was really concerned about Corbyn’s 2014 Tunisia covera

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

Erdogan suggests a referendum on whether Turkey should continue to apply to join the EU

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1ME26K

"continue to apply"? The man must be a xenophobic liar.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mr. Thompson, my understanding is that Plaid believes in Welsh independence in a conceptual sense, but they don't want it in the foreseeable future.

The latter part, at least, is sensible as Wales has about 3% of the UK's population and 2% of the wealth.

AIUI, Plaid Cymru’s policy is to have Wales as a separate nation within the EU. However the new Leader has only just taken over so there may well be some changes of emphasis.
    A bit of a problem as the Welsh voted to Leave the EU
    Plaid 'who' here in Wales.
    They are still largely stuck in their West Coast and Anglesey heartland
    New Plaid leader on Today this morning. Advocating early independence. Totally flummoxed when asked how to bridge the £15bn gap between public spending and tax take in Wales. For reference the current Welsh govt budget for their share of devolved public spending is £15bn.

And Wales doesn't have oil or whisky.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    I know

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mr. Thompson, my understanding is that Plaid believes in Welsh independence in a conceptual sense, but they don't want it in the foreseeable future.

The latter part, at least, is sensible as Wales has about 3% of the UK's population and 2% of the wealth.

AIUI, Plaid Cymru’s policy is to have Wales as a separate nation within the EU. However the new Leader has only just taken over so there may well be some changes of emphasis.
    New Plaid leader on Today this morning. Advocating early independence. Totally flummoxed when asked how to bridge the £15bn gap between public spending and tax take in Wales. For reference the current Welsh govt budget for their share of devolved public spending is £15bn.

I know it’s cloud cuckoo land.

He’s bright is Mr Price and he’s trying to galavanise an ossified debate ( on independence) by being radical.

But it’s just bollocks. A huge percentage of the population lives within commuting distance of England and if you start radically diverging tax the inevitable problems will follow.

How the hell he thinks he can bridge the tax/spending gap of that magnitude is beyond me.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Erdogan suggests a referendum on whether Turkey should continue to apply to join the EU

Liar as in then haven't been a serious applicant for a while? I'm not sure I see Xenophobic in what he's said.

On the face of it I'd think that a referendum was an ok idea on the subject. As I'm British though the whole referendum idea has to be discarded forever-more.

Turkey has been treated a little bit poorly by the EU in my view. (Turkey applying for EU membership is nothing like a tiny country doing so).

It'd be much better really if the countries of the middle east got together to just plain agree. A MEU of Turkey, Iran, Israel, and Egypt would have some clout.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Liar as in then haven't been a serious applicant for a while? I'm not sure I see Xenophobic in what he's said.

On the face of it I'd think that a referendum was an ok idea on the subject. As I'm British though the whole referendum idea has to be discarded forever-more.

Turkey has been treated a little bit poorly by the EU in my view. (Turkey applying for EU membership is nothing like a tiny country doing so).

It'd be much better really if the countries of the middle east got together to just plain agree. A MEU of Turkey, Iran, Israel, and Egypt would have some clout.

An interesting list potential members.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    Really pleased to see the Yazidi girl and the Congolese doctor win the Nobel Peace prize. The suffering of women in war is often overlooked and it is really good to see those trying to do something about it being honoured for their efforts.

It is, I think, a little bit too easy for women in the West to focus on the issues they face while ignoring the very much worse brutality endured by nameless women in far away countries. The Yazidis in particular have suffered appallingly - being subject to genocidal brutality by IS scum - and too many of those who make a big show of claiming how they are on the side of the oppressed have turned their faces away from this forgotten minority.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    welshowl said:

I know

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He’s bright is Mr Price and he’s trying to galavanise an ossified debate ( on independence) by being radical.

But it’s just bollocks. A huge percentage of the population lives within commuting distance of England and if you start radically diverging tax the inevitable problems will follow.

How the hell he thinks he can bridge the tax/spending gap of that magnitude is beyond me.
    Soverignty may be more important to Welsh voters than economics. The result of the Brexit votes suggests that is the case.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Cyclefree said:

Really pleased to see the Yazidi girl and the Congolese doctor win the Nobel Peace prize. The suffering of women in war is often overlooked and it is really good to see those trying to do something about it being honoured for their efforts.

It is, I think, a little bit too easy for women in the West to focus on the issues they face while ignoring the very much worse brutality endured by nameless women in far away countries. The Yazidis in particular have suffered appallingly - being subject to genocidal brutality by IS scum - and too many of those who make a big show of claiming how they are on the side of the oppressed have turned their faces away from this forgotten minority.

+1. She gave just amazingly courageous testimony, and he's living the Hippocratic oath to the ultimate. People like that give hope for the human race.

Incidentally, Betfair had lots of punters on the selection who were clearly unaware of the Norwegian Nobel committee penchant for picking out less-known heroes, and bet that they'd give the prize to Donald Trump. As I said a couple of months ago, this was free money to lay, and so it's proved.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

welshowl said:

I know

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Soverignty may be more important to Welsh voters than economics. The result of the Brexit votes suggests that is the case.
    That is always a possibility, but surely there is little indication to date that Welsh voters are even close to thinking that? PC are not exactly knocking on the door like the SNP are, and even with a massive surge would still be a long way back from convincing the public to accept such a hit.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

+1. She gave just amazingly courageous testimony, and he's living the Hippocratic oath to the ultimate. People like that give hope for the human race.

Incidentally, Betfair had lots of punters on the selection who were clearly unaware of the Norwegian Nobel committee penchant for picking out less-known heroes, and bet that they'd give the prize to Donald Trump. As I said a couple of months ago, this was free money to lay, and so it's proved.
    I've no view on these people. However I can't see why they won a 'Peace prize' - admittedly I see it as a compromised idea anyway.

Rename it a Nobel 'Humanity Prize' or something. Or better still just make it without name.

• Options

welshowl said:

I know

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Plaid will not form a Welsh government
  • Options
    kle4 said:

welshowl said:

I know

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is always a possibility, but surely there is little indication to date that Welsh voters are even close to thinking that? PC are not exactly knocking on the door like the SNP are, and even with a massive surge would still be a long way back from convincing the public to accept such a hit.
    They are largely a fringe and rural/language/North West Wales interest - and bitterly divided internally at present. Still, they are healthier than the Lib Dems in Wales.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
  • Options
    "One of the UK’s most prominent journalists, Carole Cadwalladr". Is that really true?

"Some weird journalist that no-ones ever heard of." is more the mark. Doesn't make her wrong mind you.

• Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    How can any government sign a deal which is dependent on the EU being nice at some stage in the future. They are completely unworthy of any trust.
  • Options
    saddo said:

How can any government sign a deal which is dependent on the EU being nice at some stage in the future. They are completely unworthy of any trust.
    I assume it will be an international treaty
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    edited October 2018
    Omnium said:

Cyclefree said:

I've no view on these people. However I can't see why they won a 'Peace prize' - admittedly I see it as a compromised idea anyway.

Rename it a Nobel 'Humanity Prize' or something. Or better still just make it without name.

Their actions are bringing hope to those traumatised by what they have endured. They are trying in a way to bring peace to peoples’ lives. And that is very important, not just for its own sake, healing those who have been harmed, but because it plays some small part in stopping a cycle of violence from continuing. And by speaking up it may make the rest of us realise that this ought to be stopped, can be stopped and that there is some hope for those harmed by it.

It may not be peace in the old-fashioned signing a big treaty at a table way but it recognises and encourages those who are trying to provide practical help to those who have suffered unimaginably.

Far more worthy IMO than massaging the egos of politicians, whatever you call the prize.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    I see BMG’s latest poll has fallen back into line with Labour 39 (-1), Cons 38 (+2), LibDems 10 (-2).
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    Correct. The original planned move was because of Brexit, however.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Omnium said:

Cyclefree said:

Their actions are bringing hope to those traumatised by what they have endured. They are trying in a way to bring peace to peoples’ lives. And that is very important, not just for its own sake, healing those who have been harmed, but because it plays some small part in stopping a cycle of violence from continuing. And by speaking up it may make the rest of us realise that this ought to be stopped, can be stopped and that there is some hope for those harmed by it.

It may not be peace in the old-fashioned signing a big treaty at a table way but it recognises and encourages those who are trying to provide practical help to those who have suffered unimaginably.

Far more worthy IMO than massaging the egos of politicians, whatever you call the prize.
    Sky televised it live waiting with bated breath for Trump to win and the announcement was a complete anti climax - but I agree with you, they are worthy winners
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Leftist rabble in the senate.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:
    No, it wasn't. Brexit was not a major factor. The main reason they wanted to move is because Dutch law allows more protection for local companies against predatory takeovers, and Unilever are being eyed up by Kraft Heinz, and others.
    Someone should have told the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/14/unilever-pick-rotterdam-over-london-main-headquarters-brexit
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leftist rabble in the senate.

That's no way to talk about senators.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    Charles said:

Been out and have come home to see the US is as divided as ever

As we are but maybe light at the end of the tunnel. Pound rising strongly - now 1.14 euros

Also my daughter has just be appointed a mental health first aider in her department at the DWP.

Really quite proud of her

FTSE Down 1.35%
    A casual reader might connect that with his daughter’s appointment
    Do we have such readers on PB?
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:
    No, it wasn't. Brexit was not a major factor. The main reason they wanted to move is because Dutch law allows more protection for local companies against predatory takeovers, and Unilever are being eyed up by Kraft Heinz, and others.
    Someone should have told the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/14/unilever-pick-rotterdam-over-london-main-headquarters-brexit
    I believe that the SeanT hotline to the Guardian project fell aside after just one lunch. (It appears as an exceptional item in their accounts)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:
    Apparently so, but I think Mr D was merely referring to the impression given by certain organisations and individuals at the time.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    JohnO said:

I see BMG’s latest poll has fallen back into line with Labour 39 (-1), Cons 38 (+2), LibDems 10 (-2).

The last BMG was Lab 40, Con 35 - so this is Con +3.

Still quite a wide variation between pollsters - most recent for each pollster:

YouGov - Con +6
    Opinium - Con +3
    ICM - Con +1
    ComRes - Lab +1
    BMG - Lab +1

All within last 10 days - though at different points in Conference cycle.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:
    Apparently so, but I think Mr D was merely referring to the impression given by certain organisations and individuals at the time.
    I should have added a :p!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

JohnO said:

The last BMG was Lab 40, Con 35 - so this is Con +3.

Still quite a wide variation between pollsters - most recent for each pollster:

YouGov - Con +6
    Opinium - Con +3
    ICM - Con +1
    ComRes - Lab +1
    BMG - Lab +1

All within last 10 days - though at different points in Conference cycle.
    I see YouGov's double diamond status is unquestionable.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited October 2018
    These Republicans really lack self awareness.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

The last BMG was Labour 40 - Conservatives 35 - Lib dem 12

So that is Labour (39) - 1 - Conservatives (38) + 3 - Lib dems (10) - 2

Labour also lost a seat last night to the Lib Dems

Not much cheer for labour and this week labour have:

Fallen out in Scotland

Fall out every day in England

And tonight chaos in Liverpool

• Options
    Collins is making Kavanaugh sound like quite the liberal here :D
  • Options
    I'm truly shocked that a Republican senator would vote for a Republican nominee to the supreme court. Truly!
  • Options
    Who are the senators behind her btw ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.
    Why not? Is Israel somehow different?

These are the 4, and they can be outstanding together. They're not doing so well apart.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,611
    How did the Unilever - or should that be Uniremainer? - get itself into such a humiliating position?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/10/05/unilevers-u-turn-isfar-dignified-probably-best-option/amp/
  • Options
    Do you know why I am losing your twitter feeds?

Ok on my moblle not ok on my samsung tablet
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

These are the 4, and they can be outstanding together. They're not doing so well apart.
    Yes?
  • Options
    I'm truly shocked that someone not yet named is unwilling to walk into this shitstorm xD !
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

Yes?
    No.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

Yes?
    Even Turkey/Iran is a massive stretch lol
  • Options
    MAGA
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

Yes?
    No.
    Has your weekend release from the asylum started early or something?!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:
    Well, they would, wouldn't they. And now they look a bit stupid.
    It's probably fair to say that Brexit has made fools of us all, one way or another, even if some more than others.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MAGA

So when the Maine 2020 Senate market opens up, should I be laying the GOP like there's no tomorrow?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

Yes?
    Even Turkey/Iran is a massive stretch lol
    Crossing the Sunni/Shia divide would probably prove impossible, throwing Israel into the mix would have the same effect as a grenade. :D
  • Options
    4 country alliances more likely than Turkey-Israel-Egpyt-Iran

Cuba-USA-Russia-Pakistan
    England-Venezuela-France-China
    1649-1700s Ireland-England-Netherlands-Scotland

Amongst others..
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MAGA

So when the Maine 2020 Senate market opens up, should I be laying the GOP like there's no tomorrow?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Collins#Electoral_history

If she runs again she'll win again.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Pulpstar said:

MAGA

I think North Dakota is expected to be a GOP gain.
    I am on Tester in Montana...

Who are the senators behind Collins ?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Pulpstar said:

MAGA

Depends how much money you want to lose. She has a 36% majority.
  • Options
    Last time I checked it wasn't the judges who were voting today?
  • Options

JohnO said:

Fallen out in Scotland

To be fair you predicted that the 6-point Tory lead was an outlier and I predicted the 5-point Labour one was, and we were both right. Put it there, pardner!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cuba-USA-Russia-Pakistan

Amongst others..

Wasn't William of Orange king of England, Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands ?

And allied to the Pope ?
  • Options
    Good - It would be nice if there was a deal, on transition or anything else, which could be backed on a cross party basis. Or even had a couple of dozen on either side cross the floor on the issue.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Pulpstar said:

Cuba-USA-Russia-Pakistan

Amongst others..

Wasn't William of Orange king of England, Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands ?

And allied to the Pope ?
    I hear the Irish sing great songs about him
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Collins almost certainly a yes ( had lunch with McConnell and McConnell came out happier than when he went in) , Flake a definite yes. Murkowski a definite no.

Manchin a probable Yes but not yet clear.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited October 2018

JohnO said:

Fallen out in Scotland

To be fair you predicted that the 6-point Tory lead was an outlier and I predicted the 5-point Labour one was, and we were both right. Put it there, pardner!
    Indeed Nick - but I am a bit surprised todays you gov retains that 6% lead and it was completed after labour's conference and before the conservatives and TM's speech

However I think the polls need a pinch of salt at present
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MAGA

I think North Dakota is expected to be a GOP gain.
    I am on Tester in Montana...

Who are the senators behind Collins ?
    https://twitter.com/splus7bot/status/1048299404736618496

I think on the left, Shelley Moore Capito (West Virginia) and on the right, Cindy Hyde-Smith (Mississippi)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    linkrider said:

Whether judges should be 'independently' appointed or straight political appointees might be a suitable subject for an article by one of PBs erudite contributors?
    It's fascinating that the 'Democrats' were content to excuse Blowjob Bill's indiscretions but find ancient allegations against a Republican to be so damming?

(Almost all) Democrats were massively too forgiving of Clinton's lies.

But there is an important distinction here. Politicians can be kicked out by voters. Judges are for life. And appointed Judges should be - like Caeser's wife - above suspicion. They should not - at best - have been economical with the truth during their confirmation hearings. And they should not be nakedly partisan.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

Yes?
    No.
    Are you telling me you escaped?

Hey no need to sweep up if you did.

Abuse aside. These nations are clear potential allies. They're educated, sophisticated, and are their own masters. Whatever we might think, the people of these nations have been doing joined-up-thinking for far longer than we have.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

linkrider said:

Whether judges should be 'independently' appointed or straight political appointees might be a suitable subject for an article by one of PBs erudite contributors?
    It's fascinating that the 'Democrats' were content to excuse Blowjob Bill's indiscretions but find ancient allegations against a Republican to be so damming?

(Almost all) Democrats were massively too forgiving of Clinton's lies.

But there is an important distinction here. Politicians can be kicked out by voters. Judges are for life. And appointed Judges should be - like Caeser's wife - above suspicion. They should not - at best - have been economical with the truth during their confirmation hearings. And they should not be nakedly partisan.
    And threatening revenge.
  • Options
    51-49
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

I know

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nah. Not in a month of dydd Sul ( Sundays).
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    JohnO said:

Interesting - still out of line with other posters but much less so.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

Yes?
    No.
    These nations are clear potential allies.
    All nations are potential allies, and you can drive about a thousand buses between the goalposts of defining what makes some 'clear' potential allies.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

"One of the UK’s most prominent journalists, Carole Cadwalladr". Is that really true?

"Some weird journalist that no-ones ever heard of." is more the mark. Doesn't make her wrong mind you.

Ummm: her "scoops" which turned out to be fabrications make her wrong.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

Award winning though.
  • Options
    felix said:

JohnO said:

Interesting - still out of line with other posters but much less so.
    Cons are +3
  • Options
    kle4 said:

All nations are potential allies, and you can drive about a thousand buses between the goalposts of defining what makes some 'clear' potential allies.

All four nations hate pork because of their religion.

Ergo all four hate Hawaiian Pizzas, that's a great and clear alliance to start with.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

How did the Unilever - or should that be Uniremainer? - get itself into such a humiliating position?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/10/05/unilevers-u-turn-isfar-dignified-probably-best-option/amp/

Lol - good one!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

You misinterpret and misquote (I'm sure accidentally) me. I was just saying that because I've never heard of her doesn't mean she's wrong. I have no view at all on the truthfulness of what she's said.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

MAGA

Although 2014 was a very good year for the Republicans, and Maine will also be voting (heavily) for a Democratic President in 2020.

She should be favourite, sure, but not an overwhelming one.
  • Options
    Worth noting that the Republican Senator from Montana will not be in Washington this weekend for the vote, as he'll be at a wedding. So it'll probably end up 50-49.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Worth noting that the Republican Senator from Montana will not be in Washington this weekend for the vote, as he'll be at a wedding. So it'll probably end up 50-49.

No, he's been lent a private plane to ensure he makes it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

Yes?
    No.
    Where would you look if you were the Iranian President or Iranian PM? Repeat the same question for Egypt, Israel and Turkey. China? The US? The EU? A rejuvenated UK?

Their mutual self-interest is so blindingly obvious that they'll see it soon enough.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

MAGA

Although 2014 was a very good year for the Republicans, and Maine will also be voting (heavily) for a Democratic President in 2020.

Collins won by 23% in 2008 when Obama won Maine by 17%.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

You misinterpret and misquote (I'm sure accidentally) me. I was just saying that because I've never heard of her doesn't mean she's wrong. I have no view at all on the truthfulness of what she's said.
    Trust me on this, then, she's not the most accurate of journalists.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

Yes?
    No.
    Where would you look if you were the Iranian President or Iranian PM? Repeat the same question for Egypt, Israel and Turkey. China? The US? The EU? A rejuvenated UK?

Their mutual self-interest is so blindingly obvious that they'll see it soon enough.

Hope springs eternal
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is it his own wedding ?

It will be his political funeral if its 49-50.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

MAGA

Sure. But that was based around a good amount of bipartisanship. She may not have that to rely on in 2020.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No, he's been lent a private plane to ensure he makes it.
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    Just FYI

I have stuck £20 on Haddad in Brazil and if you can get anythign like 2/1 I suggest you do the same.

The odds are based on first round preferences, which show Bolsonaro with a large lead. But he is not popular with supporters of other parties. The second round polling (which no-one has transcribed to Wikipedia!) shows him neck and neck with Haddad, and no better - results like 49/51.

Now there is quite a margin of error with any firebrand like Bolsonaro, but there is no reason to think the polls are necessarily underestimating him.

There will also be the opportunity to bet after Sunday with the benefit of the first round results, so watch for that.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

Yes?
    No.

Abuse aside. These nations are clear potential allies. They're educated, sophisticated, and are their own masters. Whatever we might think, the people of these nations have been doing joined-up-thinking for far longer than we have.
    If you ignore a thousand years of enmity and mistrust and war, sure.

The notion that Israel would go into an alliance with a country that wants to eliminate it from the map is absurd.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Err, right.

Yes?
    No.

If you ignore a thousand years of enmity and mistrust and war, sure.
    Sounds like us and France.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Fallen out in Scotland

Indeed Nick - but I am a bit surprised todays you gov retains that 6% lead and it was completed after labour's conference and before the conservatives and TM's speech

I agree, a good result for the Tories. It was however taken in the middle of the Tory conference (Sun/Mon), amid massive coverage of Tories, good and bad.

As you say, best taken with caution anyway. I suspect things will only settle down after the Brexit deal which appears to be approacing - if then.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

welshowl said:

I know

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Only 7% of Welsh voters favour independence according to a February poll this year, although 44% want more powers for the Assembly.
    https://www.icmunlimited.com/polls/bbc-wales-st-davids-day-poll-2018/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_independence

Polls have put support for English independence higher than that eg a 2007 poll had 15% backing English independence, 32% the status quo, 20% an English Parliament and 25% EVEL

https://toque.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ICM2007SundayTelegraph.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_independence
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

I didn't for one moment suggest she was. I suggested that she wasn't one of the UK's most prominent journalists. Nothing more. I have no view on her work because I've never heard of her. I can't say if it's the most elegant. brilliant and insightful of work, or the crayon-unworthy daubs of someone like myself.

I'm 100% sure though that just because I've never heard of her, and that you and others seem to disapprove of her, she isn't necessarily wrong.

• Options
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

I didn't for one moment suggest she was. I suggested that she wasn't one of the UK's most prominent journalists. Nothing more. I have no view on her work because I've never heard of her. I can't say if it's the most elegant. brilliant and insightful of work, or the crayon-unworthy daubs of someone like myself.

I'm 100% sure though that just because I've never heard of her, and that you and others seem to disapprove of her, she isn't necessarily wrong.

The number of corrections and clarifications she has had to issue suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

MAGA

Sure. But that was based around a good amount of bipartisanship. She may not have that to rely on in 2020.
    She'll say that she voted for Kagan and Sotomayor as well - she has the voting record to back up her bipartisanship.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Fallen out in Scotland

I agree, a good result for the Tories. It was however taken in the middle of the Tory conference (Sun/Mon), amid massive coverage of Tories, good and bad.

As you say, best taken with caution anyway. I suspect things will only settle down after the Brexit deal which appears to be approacing - if then.
    I really do hope a Brexit deal can be agreed, not for party advantage but to move on.

Brexit will be an issue for years but maybe not quite as full on as it is just now
This discussion has been closed.