Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The end of the court of Sessions?

Comments

• Options

Senate Minas Gerais - former president Dilma only 4th:

Jornalista Carlos Viana (PHS): 21%
    Dinis Pinheiro (SOLIDARIEDADE): 18%
    Rodrigo Pacheco (DEM): 18%
    Dilma Rousseff (PT): 15%
    Miguel Correa (PT): 7%
    Rodrigo Paiva (NOVO): 7%
    Fábio Cherem (PDT): 4%
    Professora Duda Salabert (PSOL): 3%
    Coronel Lacerda (PPL): 2%
    Bispo Damasceno (PPL): 1%
    Edson Andre P (AVANTE): 1%
    Kaka Menezes (REDE): 1%
    Professor Tulio Lopes (PCB): 1%
    Vanessa Portugal Barbosa (PSTU): 1%
    Ana Alves (PCO): 0%

Results not expected until 11PM our time according to El Pais
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Yep Haddad is back out to 3.2 now.

If Rd 1 really is 41/25, it will be very difficult for Haddad to win the second round, Bolsonaro will only need to add Alckmin's share and he'll be pretty much there.

Broadly agree. imho the bands are:

Under 30% - Haddad favourite
    30-35% - Tight but Haddad favourite
    35-40% - Tight but Bolsonaro favourite
    Over 40% - Bolsonaro solid favourite unless run-off polls show a big surge in stop-Bolsonaro voters.
  • Options
    Yes that's right - unlike the US they'll wait for the whole country to finish voting before any pres exits get released.

It might make it fairer, but less fun to watch!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

If Rd 1 really is 41/25, it will be very difficult for Haddad to win the second round, Bolsonaro will only need to add Alckmin's share and he'll be pretty much there.

I recall a Maldivian presidential election where the candidate with circa 45% in the first round didn't win the second round, only getting 48/49%, but I don't know if it was in any way free or fair.
  • Options

Yes that's right - unlike the US they'll wait for the whole country to finish voting before any pres exits get released.

It might make it fairer, but less fun to watch!

what's weirder is the votes have been coutned but no-one has leaked the results ;) in a country the leading candidate thinks is so corrupt the military dictatorship was better
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited October 2018
    Bolsonaro's son leads his Rio Senate seat, but well short of a knockout

edit: one of his sons, apparently he has a few
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Populism is not just a British, nor even a developed world phenomenon. Bolsonaro seems a fairly nasty specimen:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/06/homophobic-mismogynist-racist-brazil-jair-bolsonaro

• Options
    I see from his wiki page that Bolsonaro has been a member of 9 differently named political entities in his political career. I wonder if that is just a result of a lot of party rebrandings.
  • Options
    Bolsonaro into 1.38 and the official results site has crashed.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Evening again all :)

I presume we discussed ad infinitum and indeed ad nauseam the results of the Latvian General Election:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_parliamentary_election,_2018

The Party representing the Russian minority comes out on top but the confusing and turbulent nature of Latvian conservative and liberal politics has left the New Conservative Party (pro EU) with 16 seats and a new Liberal grouping with 13 seats with the other big winners the "Who Owns The State?" party also with 16 seats. These three blocs are all new to the Saeima and have won 45 seats between them.

The big losers are the Liepaja Party of the Prime Minister which has lost 10 of its 21 seats and the centre-right Unity Party which is part of the EPP grouping and lost 15 of its 23 seats.

I'm going to find somewhere dark and have a lie-down....
  • Options
    Well, I've just noticed this. .Question.

What do Cardiff and TSE have in common?
  • Options

Bolsonaro into 1.38 and the official results site has crashed.

gotta get TSE up and running again
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Eduardo Suplicy (PT -Haddad) loses to the Bolsanaro candidate in Sao Paulo & centre-right, meaning not in the run-off
  • Options
    stodge said:

I presume we discussed ad infinitum and indeed ad nauseam the results of the Latvian General Election:

The Party representing the Russian minority comes out on top but the confusing and turbulent nature of Latvian conservative and liberal politics has left the New Conservative Party (pro EU) with 16 seats and a new Liberal grouping with 13 seats with the other big winners the "Who Owns The State?" party also with 16 seats. These three blocs are all new to the Saeima and have won 45 seats between them.

The big losers are the Liepaja Party of the Prime Minister which has lost 10 of its 21 seats and the centre-right Unity Party which is part of the EPP grouping and lost 15 of its 23 seats.

My recollection is the other parties usually find a way to group to prevent the russian minority party with the most seats being in government.
  • Options
    If Bolsonaro gets elected, could be a good time to be a white guy in Brazil - he likes the idea of "whitening" the race....

(urgh.)
  • Options
    Well I have to confess that Latvia is the outside the "basket" of countries that I follow - it votes on a Saturday and is very fragmented and that's all I know.

But if you can't have niche discussions on Sunday night on PB where can you?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

If Bolsonaro gets elected, could be a good time to be a white guy in Brazil - he likes the idea of "whitening" the race....

(urgh.)

I thought white people were in a slight minority in Brazil so it would be odd if he wins the election.
  • Options
    Wow, showing the pictures form London where thousands of Brazilians voted earlier. Voting is compulsory in Brazil, but I do not know if that includes citizens abroad
  • Options
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

My recollection is the other parties usually find a way to group to prevent the russian minority party with the most seats being in government.
    I do not know anything about Latvian politics but is it not more evidence that next years EU elections could provide a very different commission with lots of hard right and left meps replacing those in the centre

See Trump has today launched a full on attack on Junckers and the EU with his threat of 25% taxes on German cars receiving rapturous applause from those present

He was mimicking Junkers and generally expressing complete disdain for the EU
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,956

kle4 said:

stodge said:

I do not know anything about Latvian politics but is it not more evidence that next years EU elections could provide a very different commission with lots of hard right and left meps replacing those in the centre

See Trump has today launched a full on attack on Junckers and the EU with his threat of 25% taxes on German cars receiving rapturous applause from those present

Yes but he does that to everyone who doesn't agree with him.
  • Options
    Anyway while we wait for the exits in Brazil, these are all the 2019 elections (the ones I'll be following anyway!) - quite a busy year:

Argentina
    Australia
    Belgium
    Canada
    Denmark
    Finland
    Greece
    India
    Indonesia
    Israel
    Portugal
    South Africa
    Switzerland
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

Anyway while we wait for the exits in Brazil, these are all the 2019 elections (the ones I'll be following anyway!) - quite a busy year:

Argentina
    Australia
    Belgium
    Canada
    Denmark
    Finland
    Greece
    India
    Indonesia
    Israel
    Portugal
    South Africa
    Switzerland

Plus the biggest round of UK council elections this Parliament
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

He is quite the most stupid President the US could have elected and he does not look like he is going anywhere, sadly
  • Options

kle4 said:

stodge said:

'Jean-Claude, a great business person, head of the European Union,” Trump said. “Jean-Claude my friend. I’d say, ‘Jean-Claude, we want to make a deal.'”

“He goes, ‘No, no, no. We are very happy,'” Trump said, slightly rolling the “r” and dropping the “h” and drawing out the “pee” in “happy” for emphasis'

https://www.politico.eu/article/no-no-no-donald-trump-tries-out-jean-claude-juncker-accent/
  • Options
    edited October 2018

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

He is quite the most stupid President the US could have elected and he does not look like he is going anywhere, sadly
    Trump is no intellectual but he is sharp, Rubio was the thickest candidate the US could have elected in 2016

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gop-debate-christie-rubio-square-off-fiery-exchange/story?id=36763275
  • Options

kle4 said:

stodge said:

"Do you want Total War?" Goebbels in 1943, receiving rapturous applause from those present.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Trump is no intellectual but he is sharp, Rubio was the thickest candidate the US could have elected in 2016
    Trump is quite the most divisive objectionable person to hold the office
  • Options

kle4 said:

stodge said:

"Do you want Total War?" Goebbels in 1943, receiving rapturous applause from those present.
    I hope that is an extreme example, the word there is hope
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Maybe but that is different from being the stupidest
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Maybe but that is different from being the stupidest
    There is no maybe about it
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
    Cyclefree said:

VM for @NickPalmer, if he’s around.

Thanks very much - yes, got it and replied by email.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    edited October 2018
    According to journalist Ricardo Noblat, the presidential exit poll that will be released by Ibope will show Bolsonaro winning in the first round.

So let's see if that's true.

One of the great things about election days/nights is separating the fake rumours from the real ones.
  • Options
    William Hague on The Imitation Game now on ITV
  • Options
    Resultado da votação em Dublin, Irlanda

Ciro Gomes 369 votos
    J. Bolsonaro 366 votos
    J. Amoedo 145 votos
    F. Haddad 95 votos
    Marina Silva 37 votos
    Geraldo Alckmin 22 votos
    G. Boulos 22 votos
    Álvaro Dias 7 votos
    Daciolo 2 votos
    João Goulart 2 votos
  • Options

kle4 said:

The Commission isn't proportional to Parliament - they are appointed by the national governments and Parliament says yea or nay. I can see Hungary proposing someone controversial, maybe Italy, but that's probably it.

The reason Harmony may get into government this time is that the other parties include overt homophobes and keen LGBT supporters- it's hard to see them teaming up. Also, Harmony has made an effort to be non-sectarian with several leading non-Russian candidates, and politically they are centrists, neither latter-day commnuists nor Putin fans, so I suspect the refusal to work with them in government will be less strong.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

According to journalist Ricardo Noblat, the presidential exit poll that will be released by Ibope will show Bolsonaro winning in the first round.

So let's see if that's true.

One of the great things about election days/nights is separating the fake rumours from the real ones.

not out the question given results elsewhere (I have greyed out)
  • Options

Ciro Gomes 369 votos
    J. Bolsonaro 366 votos
    J. Amoedo 145 votos
    F. Haddad 95 votos
    Marina Silva 37 votos
    Geraldo Alckmin 22 votos
    G. Boulos 22 votos
    Álvaro Dias 7 votos
    Daciolo 2 votos
    João Goulart 2 votos

Thanks! do you have a link for those? are other results out yet?
  • Options
    Harmony is not a terrible name for a party - perhaps that new centrist that is totally going to happen and not at all a pipe dream could take that as their name?
  • Options

Ciro Gomes 369 votos
    J. Bolsonaro 366 votos
    J. Amoedo 145 votos
    F. Haddad 95 votos
    Marina Silva 37 votos
    Geraldo Alckmin 22 votos
    G. Boulos 22 votos
    Álvaro Dias 7 votos
    Daciolo 2 votos
    João Goulart 2 votos

Thanks! do you have a link for those? are other results out yet?
    If you believe Twitter, most countries have released overseas results (I have no idea). Only in Germany did Bolsonaro do badly
  • Options
    Is anyone else betting on Brazil at the mo?
  • Options
    you mean other than my +1/-3 possible outcomes (I might go in again, but no doubt a fraction of the amount staked by others)
  • Options
    Big move to Bolsonaro on BF - into 1.25
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

More disturbing WTF stories:

Turkey says journalist was murdered in Saudi consulate
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45775819

'Limousine crash' leaves twenty dead in New York State
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45778366

The journalist murdered at the Saudi embassy has Saudi dissidents absolutely shitting themselves. People are moving house and disappearing off the grid.
    Will our government stop arms sales to the Saudis over this, even if they will not for the Yemen war crimes?
    That's a lot of money.
    We expected other countries to apply sanctions over Salisbury.
    I was commenting on the likelihood of something happening. I think we all knew the answer.
    Yes, but is it OK to tolerate the Saudis doing this, while we complain over Putin doing the same?

Can you not see a dangerous international trend developing?
    Do we (and by we, I mean our government) complain about Putin doing the same?
    I do seem to recall that we objected to Putin bumping off opposition activists abroad.
    I know it's splitting hairs, but isn't a consulate technically Saudi soil?
    Having done some digging it would seem that it is not Saudi soil, but it does have diplomatic immunity.
    Diplomatic impunity more like.
    There is no diplomatic immunity for murder.
  • Options
    Interpol chief arrested in China:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-45777681
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    AndyJS said:
    Isn’t that the second Interpol chief in recent years to get his collar felt by his home country’s plod? Wasn’t there one from South Africa too?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

The journalist murdered at the Saudi embassy has Saudi dissidents absolutely shitting themselves. People are moving house and disappearing off the grid.
    Will our government stop arms sales to the Saudis over this, even if they will not for the Yemen war crimes?
    That's a lot of money.
    I was commenting on the likelihood of something happening. I think we all knew the answer.
    Yes, but is it OK to tolerate the Saudis doing this, while we complain over Putin doing the same?

I do seem to recall that we objected to Putin bumping off opposition activists abroad.
    Having done some digging it would seem that it is not Saudi soil, but it does have diplomatic immunity.
    You mean TV shows have lied to me?!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That's a lot of money.

A Google of diplomatic immunity for murder suggests that actually, there is.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That's a lot of money.

A Google of diplomatic immunity for murder suggests that actually, there is.
    Most nation states give murderers up.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    rpjs said:

AndyJS said:
    Isn’t that the second Interpol chief in recent years to get his collar felt by his home country’s plod? Wasn’t there one from South Africa too?
    This one seems a bit more sinister.

The Chinese state is starting to 'disappear' prominent figures in a more open way. And that is never good.
  • Options
    Half of votes immediately I think
  • Options
    45% v 28% (Ibope)
  • Options
    Exit poll: 2nd round needed. Bolsonaro 45%, Haddad 28%
  • Options
    Gomes 14 Alckmin 4
  • Options
    Bolsonaro currently on 49% with half of votes counted
  • Options

Exit poll: 2nd round needed. Bolsonaro 45%, Haddad 28%

Looks like a populist rightist v a leftist runoff and if Bolsonaro wins then Brazil has its very own Trump
  • Options

Is there a live results page? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    So crudely, Bolsonaro + Alckmin = 49, Haddad + Gomes = 42

Apparently Bolsonaro is at 49% in current vote count, Haddad 26% with 53% counted.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

... the official one is down for DC and me, but Twitter is getting some graphics from somewhere
  • Options

AndyJS said:

... the official one is down for DC and me, but Twitter is getting some graphics from somewhere
    Right, thanks.
  • Options
    http://divulga.tse.jus.br/index.html

is slow at the moment but will keep looking around - want to see vote count in the states too.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That's a lot of money.

Yes there is it would just be expected to be waived.
  • Options
    48.9%, 57% counted

Looks like no victory tonight. But ow low does it have to go for Haddad to have any chance????
  • Options

48.9%, 57% counted

Looks like no victory tonight. But ow low does it have to go for Haddad to have any chance????

I wonder what the highest vote below 50%+1 anyone has ever got in the first round of an election, only for them to lose in the second round?
  • Options
    Bolsonaro now 1.16 on BF

I think he has to be below 45% for Haddad to have any chance.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    AndyJS said:

48.9%, 57% counted

I wonder what the highest vote below 50%+1 anyone has ever got in the first round of an election, only for them to lose in the second round?
    No first round winner has EVER lost the second round.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you just meant Brazil.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    AndyJS said:

48.9%, 57% counted

This one I looked up from earlier must be close

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maldivian_presidential_election,_2013

Has anyone ever gone backwards after winning the first round and almost winning outright?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

AndyJS said:

48.9%, 57% counted

How about this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_presidential_election,_1974#Result
  • Options

Quincel said:

AndyJS said:

48.9%, 57% counted

How about this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_presidential_election,_1974#Result
    I meant in Brazil, mis-read his post.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That's a lot of money.

CPS guidance says the following:

“Criminal immunity is only afforded to the Service Staff at foreign diplomatic or foreign London-based consular missions in respect of the acts performed in the course of their duties. However, such staff are not inviolable.”

Murder is not an act performed in the course of a diplomat’s duties.

• Options
    Haha no probs.

Although winning Rd 1 and losing Rd 2 must be fairly rare.

Here's one for people - change of governing party (excluding technocrats) without an election? (or revolution obv)

Post WW2 I can only think of W Germany 1982 and Spain 2018 - any other examples?
  • Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_presidential_election,_1981

same again but other way round re candidates v 1974
  • Options

Haha no probs.

Here's one for people - change of governing party (excluding technocrats) without an election? (or revolution obv)

Post WW2 I can only think of W Germany 1982 and Spain 2018 - any other examples?

Alternative follow-up: What's the biggest round one lead to ever be caught, or the closest to 50% to lose? No idea myself.
  • Options

Haha no probs.

Greek post-junta, I guess - there wasn't a revolution, IIRC the junta just got fed up and handed over power.

But in general I think the incoming party wants to get a mandate, rather than winning by getting some defections.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That's a lot of money.

“Criminal immunity is only afforded to the Service Staff at foreign diplomatic or foreign London-based consular missions in respect of the acts performed in the course of their duties. However, such staff are not inviolable.”

Are you sure? I mean James Bond never seems to end up in court
  • Options
    It's probably not unusual for a candidate to win the first round with 30% and lose in the second round.
  • Options

Haha no probs.

There have been a few coalition governments where the PM has switched from one to the other, in Scandanavia for example, or where coalition parties have joined/left without an election
  • Options
    The other rare thing of course is for a PM to come from a party that finished below 2nd at an election.

Outside of Belgium (!) there's Denmark 2015 and Austria 1999.
  • Options
    Bolsonaro is on 48.12% with 72% counted according to this page:

https://g1.globo.com/politica/eleicoes/2018/apuracao/presidente.ghtml
  • Options
    Perfect

Bolsonaro's vote likely to dip but only to 46.7% +/-1 according to my calculations
  • Options

Greek post-junta, I guess - there wasn't a revolution, IIRC the junta just got fed up and handed over power.

But in general I think the incoming party wants to get a mandate, rather than winning by getting some defections.

And of course South Africa was very similar to Greece in that way.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That's a lot of money.

I have some vague memory of someone with diplomatic immunity who killed someone drink driving, pretty open and shut case but the diplomats country chose to withdraw his immunity rather than it being automatically voided by his actions.

I'd guess you could given enough time, resources and with strong evidence of guilt get it legally removed without the diplomats nations consent but I assume that would not be easy to do.
  • Options
    Apparently he's on 48% with 72% counted, but BF just moved back to 1.3. Why?!
  • Options
    Now 1.5! Small amounts but still, wtf?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That's a lot of money.

Are you sure? I mean James Bond never seems to end up in court
    I know, it’s the lack of legal realism in those films that ruin them for me .......

• Options
    Honestly think BF is either going loopy or there's some info out there I'm missing. Are the final 20% or votes from Haddad strongholds? Even if he slipped to 45% or slightly less this has still *surely* improved Bolsonaro's chances from the polls, but he's back on BF to barely shorter than when the night started!

I've reversed my position and am now green on Bolsonaro, red on everyone else.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Is that for him to be elected president overall?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Quincel said:

Yes. It appears the final results are from Haddad areas so he's softening a bit to 47% atm, maybe 45% at the end (bang on the exit poll if so). I struggle to see how this isn't much better for him than polls suggested, and he was 1.4 before the results began.
  • Options
    Just checked, he's back to 1.3. I frankly thing 1.1-1.2 seems fair but on the other hand I know very little about Brazilian politics so I wouldn't like to be too bullish.
  • Options
    I appreciate it isn't an AV election, the anti-Bolsonaro parties can go off and find new (i.e. more) voters for the second round - it isn't just whose voters will split where. But so can Bolsonaro, and he appears even more popular than polls predicted by quite a large margin. Those same polls had him a narrow favourite in run-offs even before this.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Quincel said:

AndyJS said:

Quincel said:

Yes. It appears the final results are from Haddad areas so he's softening a bit to 47% atm, maybe 45% at the end (bang on the exit poll if so). I struggle to see how this isn't much better for him than polls suggested, and he was 1.4 before the results began.
    Anything could happen in the final round, which I guess explains why the odds are as they are. 3 weeks is a long time in Brazil. For example if his supporters start causing trouble all over the place it could damage his popularity.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That's a lot of money.

Its happened before overseas and they got away with it: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/can-a-diplomat-get-away-with-murder-1282444.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Quincel said:

AndyJS said:

Quincel said:

Anything could happen in the final round, which I guess explains why the odds are as they are. 3 weeks is a long time in Brazil. For example if his supporters start causing trouble all over the place it could damage his popularity.
    But anything could have happened in 3 weeks and two days - but two days ago he was polling around 35% in the first round and was on 1.4. Now he's gotten 45-47% in the first round and he's just 1.3? I just don't buy it. That's a move from 70% likely to win to 75% likely.

But then again, I really don't know much about this situation so I might just be missing something.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,735
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That's a lot of money.

You mean TV shows have lied to me?!
    Bbbuttt, Martin Riggs promised...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwC_IaY3BmY

• Options
    Quincel said:

AndyJS said:

Quincel said:

AndyJS said:

Quincel said:

But anything could have happened in 3 weeks and two days - but two days ago he was polling around 35% in the first round and was on 1.4. Now he's gotten 45-47% in the first round and he's just 1.3? I just don't buy it. That's a move from 70% likely to win to 75% likely.

But then again, I really don't know much about this situation so I might just be missing something.
    He could go down in the next 3 weeks in the same way he went up in the previous 3.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Quincel said:

AndyJS said:

Quincel said:

AndyJS said:

Quincel said:

He could go down in the next 3 weeks in the same way he went up in the previous 3.
    Sure, it isn't a done deal. But are his chances not much better at 47% than 35% in the first round?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

That's a lot of money.

Its happened before overseas and they got away with it: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/can-a-diplomat-get-away-with-murder-1282444.html
    He went to jail: http://articles.latimes.com/1997/dec/20/news/mn-531
  • Options
    Looks like BF has gotten bored and he's down to 1.18 after all. And I'm tired, see you in the morning people, and may the odds be ever in your favour.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,735
    In some unexpectedly happy news, Steve Richards has a new series out on BBC Parliament. It's called "Reflections" (cf his previous "Turning Points") and you can find it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0bkyrx5
This discussion has been closed.