Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Prize Competition: Your chance to win the definitive work on w

Comments

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    MY ENTRY
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    One for DavidL - and any visitors to the Dundee V&A:

https://twitter.com/MarinaOLoughlin/status/1048850273454706690
  • Options
    MY ENTRY
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited October 2018

alex. said:

O/T

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/08/new-zealands-degrading-abortion-ban-breaches-human-rights-say-activists

I had no idea New Zealand's abortion laws were so tough. What are the historic reasons for this? Religious, or something else? Seems anomalous in a country which boasts of its progressive politics as regards representation of women?

In practice:

New Zealand's abortion rate (number of abortions per 1000 women aged 15–44 years) is slightly below Australia's (22.2), and the United States (21.3), but above Japan's (13.8), Finland and Scotland's (both 10.9) and many European countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_New_Zealand
    A good result for the Catholic Church this weekend. The approval of Kavanaugh means the US Supreme Court now has a conservative majority and Bolsonaro easily won round 1 of the presidential election in Brazil.

Bolsonaro is a strong Catholic heavy on traditional family values and takes a tough anti abortion line
  • Options
    MY ENTRY
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Welcome to PB, Mr. Bake.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    MY ENTRY
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited October 2018

Ha, I was wondering whether to mention the BBC's recent good news segment on parents being denied access to their children because of spurious claims made by their former spouse/partner (they decided to highlight a mother's case despite the vast majority of such instances happening to fathers).

Now a spot of reinforcing negative stereotypes: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45751016

"Panorama: Can violent men ever change?

Every year more than a million people are victims of domestic abuse in the UK. Often the focus is on helping the victim find safety - but what of the abusers? Should they be given help? And can they change?"

"Rachel is now an advocate for survivors and hears from lots of women seeking support."

Male victims of domestic violence are often estimated at around 30-40%. One Canadian study (an outlier, to be fair) had them in the majority. The idea that perpetrators of domestic violence = men is one of those little sexist tropes deemed acceptable because it's misandry, which has brilliantly led to male refuges being horrendously underfunded.

We have to see things in the way they now are. Most things are now Identity Politics, and must be seen through that prism.

Watched three (good) UK dramas in the last three weeks. All three have the same core premise. White men are universally foolish or damaged in some way, and that white men are the real dangers to society.
    Bodyguard was classic. I should have smelled a rat when it started off with a women Muslim suicide bomber on the BBC. The rest was strictly through the IP playbook though. The real threat to peace was white men, even the Muslims were being tricked by white men into committing terrorist acts.

Strictly Eve, the premise of an attractive female assassin. Who it keeps suggesting is that away because of a childhood sexual abuse incident. All the men (except the one who came out as gay, but was then killed) are seen as pathetic, weak and untrustworthy.

No offence, again good drama, but all the men are either impulsive idiots or the source of the problems, even when the story is about a black crime syndicate,the source of the problem is still a white man who is shown to be pathetic as a weak.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    MY ENTRY 42.00
    Pulpstar said:

42.00, life, the universe and 1/10th of the funding secured.

Just to be clear.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    MY ENTRY

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Mr. Notme, identity politics is pervasive bullshit.

Watched Doctor Who, just to see how it was. Actually liked it more than I thought I would, but the two white male characters who were named were a craven chap with low self-esteem, and a grumpy dick who took the piss out of the black chap's dyspraxia (that line really jarred, as otherwise he was just a low level grumpy fellow).

Bit of a shame, as the plot actually made sense, which is more than the last time I watched it (NB dinosaurs weren't 200 feet tall).

Edited extra bit: and she looked better in ragged men's clothing than the outfit she actually chose. Not even Jesus could love that costume.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    MY ENTRY

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited October 2018
    MY ENTRY

51.25% for O'Rourke
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    MY ENTRY

I think later arriving ballots are normally better for the Dems so his final share might tick up a bit. I think this will be recount area on election night with Beto up a smidge. There are 3 candidates so a plurality win.

Imaging the Senate comes down to this race and they have to recount *every single ballot* in this huge State.......
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    MY ENTRY

50.00% cuz that would be fun.
  • Options
    "No electorate can bind another, and a referendum result is either democratic or irreversible, but not both." True, dat.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, hasn't someone else suggested exactly 50%?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Watched Doctor Who, just to see how it was. Actually liked it more than I thought I would, but the two white male characters who were named were a craven chap with low self-esteem, and a grumpy dick who took the piss out of the black chap's dyspraxia (that line really jarred, as otherwise he was just a low level grumpy fellow).

Bit of a shame, as the plot actually made sense, which is more than the last time I watched it (NB dinosaurs weren't 200 feet tall).

Edited extra bit: and she looked better in ragged men's clothing than the outfit she actually chose. Not even Jesus could love that costume.

Identity politics is bullshit, now here's my entirely race and gender based review of a TV show.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    MY ENTRY
    With the Libertarian vote at around 5% that’ll not only be enough to win but enough to send Trump over the top with anger at the electoral system.
    Otherwise I agree with Mr(?) Nunuone
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    MY ENTRY

Good morning fellow Remainers!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Mr. Stereotomy, you missed the bits where I said I liked it more than I thought I would, and praised the plot for actually making sense.

Maybe it was just a one-off. We'll see if the next episode introduces a white chap who isn't evil/stupid/pathetic.

Incidentally, do you actually disagree that the dyspraxia line jarred with the character? Or that Crane Fellow (Kevin?) was portrayed in a less than flattering light?

As the Panorama nonsense implying men are only perpetrators, and women only victims, of domestic violence and the recent excellent Grievance Studies hoax by Helen Pluckrose et al. showed, knocking men is in fashion. (They rewrote Mein Kampf to give it a feminist slant, and got it published in an academic journal).

Edited extra bit: as an aside, I rather liked Krypton. Lots of female characters, black and white characters. And it avoided the identity politics rubbish rather well.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    After much thought on this over recent weeks, I think he is correct.

It is only by actually leaving that the possibility of a later rethink or even another referendum could work without serious, possibly violent, division.

I may have missed it, but I don't think he mentions demographics.

Of course, this might mean an application to rejoin at some point, which could have nightmares like the Euro and a French 'non'.

To be clear, I think that just because he might well be right, doesn't mean it will happen. I don't think anybody knows what is going to happen, and my prediction that we wouldn't in the end actually leave, may yet come through.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

O/T

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/08/new-zealands-degrading-abortion-ban-breaches-human-rights-say-activists

I had no idea New Zealand's abortion laws were so tough. What are the historic reasons for this? Religious, or something else? Seems anomalous in a country which boasts of its progressive politics as regards representation of women?

After Northern Ireland, New Zealand has the toughest abortion laws in the Western World
    The reality is that abortion is available on demand in NZ based in "mental health" grounds, the act as written by parliament isn't applied. I'd advise caution when reading Eleanor Ainge Roy on NZ issues, it's like trying to form an opinion of the UK just reading Polly Toynbee
  • Options

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

O/T

After Northern Ireland, New Zealand has the toughest abortion laws in the Western World
    The reality is that abortion is available on demand in NZ based in "mental health" grounds, the act as written by parliament isn't applied. I'd advise caution when reading Eleanor Ainge Roy on NZ issues, it's like trying to form an opinion of the UK just reading Polly Toynbee
    The rules are the same here. Everyone pretends there are restrictions, but the health of the mother are so wide, that it is rarely challenged.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    thanks for that was looking for part four a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    MY ENTRY
    44.44%
    DOUBLE CARPET WOULD EXPECT NOTHING ELSE......
  • Options
    Anorak said:

MY ENTRY

50.00% cuz that would be fun.

MY ENTRY Updated to 49.99 because of geoffw.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, you'll have my sympathies if he gets 50.01%.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    MY ENTRY - 46.82
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, you'll have my sympathies if he gets 50.01%.

If it was for the Euromillions jackpot, I'd deserve them. For a book on the GE, I'll manage to control my disappointment :p
  • Options
    notme said:

Ha, I was wondering whether to mention the BBC's recent good news segment on parents being denied access to their children because of spurious claims made by their former spouse/partner (they decided to highlight a mother's case despite the vast majority of such instances happening to fathers).

Now a spot of reinforcing negative stereotypes: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45751016

Every year more than a million people are victims of domestic abuse in the UK. Often the focus is on helping the victim find safety - but what of the abusers? Should they be given help? And can they change?"

"Rachel is now an advocate for survivors and hears from lots of women seeking support."

Male victims of domestic violence are often estimated at around 30-40%. One Canadian study (an outlier, to be fair) had them in the majority. The idea that perpetrators of domestic violence = men is one of those little sexist tropes deemed acceptable because it's misandry, which has brilliantly led to male refuges being horrendously underfunded.

We have to see things in the way they now are. Most things are now Identity Politics, and must be seen through that prism.

Watched three (good) UK dramas in the last three weeks. All three have the same core premise. White men are universally foolish or damaged in some way, and that white men are the real dangers to society.
    Bodyguard was classic. I should have smelled a rat when it started off with a women Muslim suicide bomber on the BBC. The rest was strictly through the IP playbook though. The real threat to peace was white men, even the Muslims were being tricked by white men into committing terrorist acts.

Strictly Eve, the premise of an attractive female assassin. Who it keeps suggesting is that away because of a childhood sexual abuse incident. All the men (except the one who came out as gay, but was then killed) are seen as pathetic, weak and untrustworthy.

No offence, again good drama, but all the men are either impulsive idiots or the source of the problems, even when the story is about a black crime syndicate,the source of the problem is still a white man who is shown to be pathetic as a weak.
    I thought Bodyguard was overrated but as I understood it the denouement was that the female suicide bomber turned out to be a skilled Jihadi mastermind and the female Chief Superintendent was the insider mole for the crims? The hero of the hour was a white male.

I know it doesn't take much for blokes of a certain outlook to see the hidden hand of the sistahs belittling them, but that doesn't even qualify as not much.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, alright. If he gets 50.01% you'll have my indifference :)
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, alright. If he gets 50.01% you'll have my indifference :)

You're a true gent.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    deleted
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277

If you want that to be part of your trip book a long way in advance. Its very heavily booked.
  • Options

notme said:

being tricked by white men into committing terrorist acts.

I thought Bodyguard was overrated but as I understood it the denouement was that the female suicide bomber turned out to be a skilled Jihadi mastermind and the female Chief Superintendent was the insider mole for the crims? The hero of the hour was a white male.

I know it doesn't take much for blokes of a certain outlook to see the hidden hand of the sistahs belittling them, but that doesn't even qualify as not much.

The vast majority of those who hold positions of power and responsibility in the UK are white males. It is therefore no great surprise they are the main protaganists in most dramas.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,073
    edited October 2018
    notme said:

deleted

We all see what we want to see I guess..

Edit: Lol, or not as the case may be.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45775309

When will the morons, especially on the right start taking notice?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Identity politics is bullshit, now here's my entirely race and gender based review of a TV show.
    He means the other (bad) sort of identity politics. White men have it rough these days, show some compassion.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Dura_Ace said:

He means the other (bad) sort of identity politics. White men have it rough these days, show some compassion.
    The real scandal is how easily we've been brainwashed into accepting the American use of the word gender to mean sex.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

MY ENTRY

48.16 for Beto.

Close but no cigar.

There are three candidates in the race, although yours is still more plausible than some!
    There are? https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/tx/texas_senate_cruz_vs_orourke-6310.html

He doesn't seem to be troubling the scorers much.
    This is the third one:

https://www.nealdikeman.com
    Why do they bother? It must be a slightly weird hobby, like trainspotting (sorry Sunil). Probably means I am a bit high though.
    Why do the Liberal Democrats field candidates in Liverpool Wavertree? Or Labour in Cornwall? Or the Conservatives in most of Manchester?
    Because they want to be seen as representative of and interested in the whole country. Accepting no go areas would damage them overall.

If I was American I would find the Libertarian viewpoint interesting but ultimately frivolous because it is a wasted vote.
    And a vote for the Liberal Democrats is not (with apologies to Foxy)?
    To be fair, almost all votes are wasted in Single-Member Plurality.

If your candidate was third, or second by a long way, or even won by more than a few votes, you may as well have drawn a willy on your ballot paper.
    You either voted for someone with no chance, or someone with no chance, or just piled up another vote where your candidate won anyway.
    It's very rare and big news under FPTP when a single vote counts e.g North East Fife.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

The real scandal is how easily we've been brainwashed into accepting the American use of the word gender to mean sex.
    Nothing to do with Americans. Anthropologists in the 1970s borrowed the word 'gender' from linguistics to distinguish those humans who were biologically male/female (sex) from those who regarded themselves as male/female (gender).
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

I’ve never had gender.............
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

Dura_Ace said:

Nothing to do with Americans. Anthropologists in the 1970s borrowed the word 'gender' from linguistics to distinguish those humans who were biologically male/female (sex) from those who regarded themselves as male/female (gender).
    in other words bollox
  • Options

What other word can you use which marks identity as social construction rather than biology?
  • Options
    Mr. Ace, or we could suggest that all bigotry's stupid and shouldn't be applauded because it 'balances a historical wrong' or somesuch nonsense.

Krypton has a mixed case of both race and gender, and manages to never portray all of one race, gender, or combination even as evil.

Just laughing off this nonsense is the kind of idiocy that leads to Mein Kampf being accepted by academics provided it's rewritten to have men as the evildoers. It leads to the idiotic notion that buying books only by women or non-white men is a good thing, because we should judge books by the colour of the author's skin or their gender and not on their quality.

Identity politics is the opposite of equality, of what people like Martin Luther King stood for.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

in other words bollox
    Well, bollocks are certainly involved... :)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

in other words bollox
    In girl on girl?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    My entry 48.57
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    My entry:

• Options
    On the competition: seems the vast majority are expecting Cruz to retain his seat. I wonder whether the Supreme Court story has helped him by firing up Republican voters and will end up bolstering red turnout.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    MY ENTRY

38.52%

Would love to be wrong, but I have a bad feeling that when the opposition isn't streets ahead, they often do worse on the day to their surprise. I perceive the Democrats have an Ed Miliband feel about them at the moment.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    lolandol said:

MY ENTRY
    44.44%
    DOUBLE CARPET WOULD EXPECT NOTHING ELSE......

I fear Mr Meeks beat you to it 49 minutes before....quadruple death to the Chinese....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

O/T

Correct. The article is highly misleading, and the headline is dishonest; the "ban" does not exist. The abortion rate in New Zealand is, according to the numbers, about the same as the average for Western Europe.
    http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/wrjp336abrate2.html

I am also unaware of any recognised treaties that confer a Human Right to Abortion (welcome correction on that), as claimed in the article.

Do not believe everything you rad in the Guardian !

At least Val Policella gets labelled as opinion, so we know in advance that it is sometimes wibble.
  • Options
    MY ENTRY

• Options

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

in other words bollox
    In girl on girl?
    Golly, I'm not sure I'm ready for girl on girl before elevenses.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    MY ENTRY

November 6th is a New Moon with Jupiter in the ascendant so Beto's vote share will be

• Options
    Mr. Divvie, I recall an old Mock the Week, in which Hugh Dennis reveals the superhero every man wants to see is Girl-on Girl. :p
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

in other words bollox
    In girl on girl?
    That would presumably depend on the opinion and underlying equipment of the "girl".
  • Options
    edited October 2018

On the competition: seems the vast majority are expecting Cruz to retain his seat. I wonder whether the Supreme Court story has helped him by firing up Republican voters and will end up bolstering red turnout.

That's made me think of this piece of campaigning from Obama.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhRqg0ADbk
    Contrast with Hillary Clinton..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

MY ENTRY: 44.50%
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    notme said:

You should have watched Vanity Fair on ITV which despite taking some liberties with the original was very well done, capturing the cynical, amoral, self-deluding and self-seeking nature of pretty much all the main characters, including - no, especially - the women. Despite being 150 years old, it is one of the best commentaries on life today. One of my all time favourite books.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Well, he's been confirmed now. Surely the lesson we can draw from our referendums (and indeed GE2017) is that it's narrowly losing that really fires a side up?
  • Options
    Anyway, MY ENTRY

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Almost nothing on the Today programme about the Brazilian election. I think it's one of the biggest stories around at the moment. 46% voting for a far-right demagogue in a country where white men are only about 20% of the population. (White men supposedly being the type of person who vote for this sort of candidate).

Minorities are disproportionately the victims of crime (the biggest political issue in Brazil) and so presumably welcome a candidate who promises to eradicate it.

Minorities are not actually united in anger towards white male oppressors.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

notme said:

Wn, even the Muslims were being tricked by white men into committing terrorist acts.

You should have watched Vanity Fair on ITV which despite taking some liberties with the original was very well done, capturing the cynical, amoral, self-deluding and self-seeking nature of pretty much all the main characters, including - no, especially - the women. Despite being 150 years old, it is one of the best commentaries on life today. One of my all time favourite books.
    It is an excellent story. The only sympathetic characters are pretty stupid (Amelia, Major Dobbin, Jos Sedley). The intelligent characters (Becky Sharpe, Lord Steyne) are downright evil. George Osborne manages to be both stupid and nasty.
  • Options

Identity politics is the opposite of equality, of what people like Martin Luther King stood for.

I could see how you would think that if you were only familiar with one line from one of his speeches. King was a great proponent of what we would now call affirmative action.

"A society that has done something special against the Negro for hundreds of years must now do something special for the Negro." MLK

He also advocated the creation of 20,000,000 jobs reserved for people of colour.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Pulpstar said:

That's made me think of this piece of campaigning from Obama.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhRqg0ADbk
    Contrast with Hillary Clinton..
    "One voice can change the room."

Ain't that the truth.

We will probably never see his like again.
  • Options

In my case, it's more that Senate contests tend to revert to type, unless there are very unusual circumstances (such as choosing a sexual predator to contest Alabama).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If you want that to be part of your trip book a long way in advance. Its very heavily booked.
    Just checked - tables available on Wednesday - perhaps mid-week in October in Fife isn't so compelling!
  • Options
    Mr Conway.....was there anything in 1939 that might have been driving US economic performance we wouldn't necessarily want to see repeated today?

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1049212983665201154
  • Options

Mr Conway.....was there anything in 1939 that might have been driving US economic performance we wouldn't necessarily want to see repeated today?

That does seem to be a rather obvious point. WWII rescued the US economy.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Saw that on Sky News this morning. A very odd analysis which probably doesn't show what he wants it to show. Leaving aside the obvious flaw in the comparison, I actually think it suggests the UK has done okay these last few years.
  • Options
    The Nobel Ctte have found a way of upsetting Trump:

https://twitter.com/BBCBusiness/status/1049242325409517569
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Dura_Ace said:

I could see how you would think that if you were only familiar with one line from one of his speeches. King was a great proponent of what we would now call affirmative action.

"A society that has done something special against the Negro for hundreds of years must now do something special for the Negro." MLK

He also advocated the creation of 20,000,000 jobs reserved for people of colour.
    The latter de facto happened. Those streets and office blocks won't clean themselves.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, thanks for sharing that video, hadn't seen it before.

Mr. Price, sound point.

Mr. Ace, I stand corrected on that narrow point. On everything else, I maintain my view.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    tlg86 said:

Saw that on Sky News this morning. A very odd analysis which probably doesn't show what he wants it to show. Leaving aside the obvious flaw in the comparison, I actually think it suggests the UK has done okay these last few years.
    I've said we should declare war on the French, and this just supports my argument. Why potter along with a peace-time economy when we could be building Lancasters by the thousand.
  • Options
    The climate change report today warning of serious issues if the world does not reduce emissions to me is impossible to achieve when you look at how disfunctional the world is. Trump and Putin have no intention of doing anything, China may want to but in truth will not, and in such an angry and divisive political class I fear little will change.

I heard an activist on the radio saying everyone should immediately install solar panels and insulation and go to their car dealer this weekend and buy an electric car. Really.

I doubt that mankind will be able to prevent climate change despite many peoples best endeavours.

It is not to say I do not support sensible measures and have indeed installed solar panels (very successful) and insulation and have a low emission BMW.
  • Options

The climate change report today warning of serious issues if the world does not reduce emissions to me is impossible to achieve when you look at how disfunctional the world is. Trump and Putin have no intention of doing anything, China may want to but in truth will not, and in such an angry and divisive political class I fear little will change.

I heard an activist on the radio saying everyone should immediately install solar panels and insulation and go to their car dealer this weekend and buy an electric car. Really.

I doubt that mankind will be able to prevent climate change despite many peoples best endeavours.

It is not to say I do not support sensible measures and have indeed installed solar panels (very successful) and insulation and have a low emission BMW.

Climate change cannot be halted. Economic growth offers the best opportunity to cope with its effects.
  • Options

I feel the same: we have solar panels providing hot water and electricity, tonnes of insulation, a renewable heat source boiler, do loads of composting, recycle as much as possible etc and will be soon growing our own vegetables. But an electric car remains a no-no until the range gets longer and there are sufficient and fast charge points in Cumbria, where living without a car is impossible.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Go vegetarian. Consume less. Things we could all do individually without govt getting involved.
    But yes, I think the combination of Western denialism and an increasingly wealthy developing world makes achieving this very difficult.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I feel the same: we have solar panels providing hot water and electricity, tonnes of insulation, a renewable heat source boiler, do loads of composting, recycle as much as possible etc and will be soon growing our own vegetables. But an electric car remains a no-no until the range gets longer and there are sufficient and fast charge points in Cumbria, where living without a car is impossible.
    We are very similar but at my age 75 I have a low emission diesel BMW that I have no intention of swopping for electric car at anytime soon

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Climate change cannot be halted. Economic growth offers the best opportunity to cope with its effects.
    Progress is never achieved by halting economic progress.

We need to engineer scientific solutions to climate change, not reduce our living standards.
  • Options
    So - 'Better than France, not as good as Germany (smaller Financial sector) or soaraway US':

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1049249472251908097
  • Options
    I see the quality of SCon candidates is remaining admirably consistent.

https://twitter.com/Penmanshiel/status/1049002057829629953

• Options

So - 'Better than France, not as good as Germany (smaller Financial sector) or soaraway US':

The problem I have with these statistics is that they always set par as being the peak before the crash. But the peak before the crash was an unsustainable bubble which is why we crashed.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, that's an astute point.
  • Options

The problem I have with these statistics is that they always set par as being the peak before the crash. But the peak before the crash was an unsustainable bubble which is why we crashed.
    Yes, exactly. You just need to choose a different time period to get a completely different picture.
  • Options

Yes, exactly. You just need to choose a different time period to get a completely different picture.
    The joy of stats!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

We need to engineer scientific solutions to climate change, not reduce our living standards.
    We do not have to reduce our living standards, but we could live less wastefully. TBF, progress towards this has already been made, but we need to progress further.

Probably the largest factor we could change is the number of people on the planet. Encourage contraception and smaller families and get the population down. Less people consume less resources. Ironically, a shorter term solution is to get more people to live in cities as it is easier to concentrate resources amongst a larger population.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Deleted. Fishy.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

We do not have to reduce our living standards, but we could live less wastefully. TBF, progress towards this has already been made, but we need to progress further.

Probably the largest factor we could change is the number of people on the planet. Encourage contraception and smaller families and get the population down. Less people consume less resources. Ironically, a shorter term solution is to get more people to live in cities as it is easier to concentrate resources amongst a larger population.
    Except most developed countries already have childbirth below replacement ratio.

In fact we are regularly told we need migration as we need more workers.
  • Options
    rubricrubric Posts: 5
    MY ENTRY

...and this regular reader of PB, who usually lurks, very much hopes that BO'R and a sufficient number of the swing-state (and swing congressional district) Democrats tip the balance to take control of both houses.
  • Options
    My Entry

• Options
    edited October 2018

Checks rcs1000 video... Doesn't reducing the population increase the pensioner burden per worker and hence cut into standard of living though ?

On a different note, population levels out once a society is developed enough -

During the year 2016, as many births as deaths were recorded in the EU (5.1 million), meaning that the natural change of the EU population was neutral.
    https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/8102195/3-10072017-AP-EN.pdf/a61ce1ca-1efd-41df-86a2-bb495daabdab
    http://www.visualcapitalist.com/animation-world-population-2100-region/
    All the growth in global population from 2050 onward is coming from one continent, Africa. Which tails off as the Congo for instance develops... but then there is the massive electricty consumption of Air Con for the new shiny flats of Dar Es Salaam..

But really, global population is "solved" for europe and the west in general.
This discussion has been closed.