Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Prize Competition: Your chance to win the definitive work on w

124»

Comments

• Options

matt said:

Perhaps you should be asking yourself the question why you have a car at all. The entitlement culture is strong in the elderly.

I have just seen your post. Are you real or do you live in London
    If you do not stop making controversial posts like this Mr G, the workhouse nurse might take your internet access away. The decrepit elderly are only supposed to read the church magazine whilst mashing their gums together in protest at the Vicar's mishandling of the tea fund.

Ageism is the last bastion of prejudice. It is a very interesting one though, because it is one of the few "isms" that generally gets less intense as the prejudiced individual gets older
    On that basis, I wonder how society would turn out if humans were like Swordtail fish?
    It sounds a very interesting analogy? Could you explain please
  • Options
    The incels are taking Taylor Swift backing the Democrat in Tennessee well. Immediate removal from a host of wank banks is my guess.

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1049251386075041792
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    matt said:

Cyclefree said:

The climate change report today warning of serious issues if the world does not reduce emissions to me is impossible to achieve when you look at how disfunctional the world is. Trump and Putin have no intention of doing anything, China may want to but in truth will not, and in such an angry and divisive political class I fear little will change.

I heard an activist on the radio saying everyone should immediately install solar panels and insulation and go to their car dealer this weekend and buy an electric car. Really.

I doubt that mankind will be able to prevent climate change despite many peoples best endeavours.

It is not to say I do not support sensible measures and have indeed installed solar panels (very successful) and insulation and have a low emission BMW.

I feel the same: we have solar panels providing hot water and electricity, tonnes of insulation, a renewable heat source boiler, do loads of composting, recycle as much as possible etc and will be soon growing our own vegetables. But an electric car remains a no-no until the range gets longer and there are sufficient and fast charge points in Cumbria, where living without a car is impossible.
    We are very similar but at my age 75 I have a low emission diesel BMW that I have no intention of swopping for electric car at anytime soon

Perhaps you should be asking yourself the question why you have a car at all. The entitlement culture is strong in the elderly.
    Don't be a ninny. Why should the old be confined to their houses? Why don't you try living in a deeply rural area, one with steep hills, say, and try doing the school run or the shopping or getting to the doctor let alone anywhere for a bit of social activity on your feet on on your bicycle in rain or cold. And then add age into the mix.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Some stark numbers on the political shifts amongst British Jews here, wholly unsurprisingly...
    https://twitter.com/andrewf_barclay/status/1049254362596433925
    http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/party-preferences-british-jews/

Those that are in denial about Corbyn's anti-Semitism (Nick Palmer ex-MP et al) need to ask why the voter group that best knows what anti-Semitism smells like, i.e. a Jewish one, is deserting the Labour party like never before. When is the parliamentary Labour Party going to live up to his historical principles and remove this loathsome individual from his position?

Those who support Labour have calculated that he is likely to win them power with policies they like and if the price of that is turning a blind eye to anti-semitism or pretending it doesn't exist or has been exaggerated or is being used by shadowy groups for political purposes then that is a small price and one they are willing to pay.

Principles? Pah! What do they matter? Power is the only thing that matters. The only surprise here is why anyone should think that the Left does not understand this basic rule of politics. Principles are for wimps and for those deluded enough to think that what a person says matters more than what they do or don't do.

[Sarcasm alert, in case anyone was wondering if I'd been too influenced by one Wm M Thackeray]
    That may well be their calculation. I rather hope that there will be enough principled Labour voters who find the idea of an anti-Semitic PM rather repulsive. I wish to remain hopeful that it will be the case. I am not Jewish, but I like to think if I got the slightest whiff of anti-Semtism or any other form of racism from any Conservative or LibDem leader I would not vote for their party while that person was incumbent.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    edited October 2018
    Miss Cyclefree, honestly. Next you'll be opposing the proposed Logan's Run Act.

Edited extra bit: also, good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

matt said:

I have just seen your post. Are you real or do you live in London
    If you do not stop making controversial posts like this Mr G, the workhouse nurse might take your internet access away. The decrepit elderly are only supposed to read the church magazine whilst mashing their gums together in protest at the Vicar's mishandling of the tea fund.

Ageism is the last bastion of prejudice. It is a very interesting one though, because it is one of the few "isms" that generally gets less intense as the prejudiced individual gets older
    On that basis, I wonder how society would turn out if humans were like Swordtail fish?
    It sounds a very interesting analogy? Could you explain please
    If all the males are removed from a tank of swordtails, the oldest females turn male. Other fish can do this too (Rock Bass, IIRC, has one male per school)

What would the position of women in society be like if some of the older males (who usually run things in patriarchal societies) had formerly spent a large portion of their lives as female?

Would women's position in society be less inferior? Would those who transformed grasp Male Privilege with both hands and, like Borgia, "... now that we have the Papacy we mean to enjoy it..."? What would happen in places like Rwanda where half the male population died and women now enjoy a more balanced public life whilst still struggling with the same old prejudicies in their personal and family life.
  • Options

Miss Cyclefree, honestly. Next you'll be opposing the proposed Logan's Run Act.

Edited extra bit: also, good afternoon, everyone.

For the avoidance of doubt Mr Dancer, we require you to declare that, as a historical anachronism, you do not possess a car and travel everywhere on a palanquin carried on the shoulders of six eunuchs.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mrs C, I am not a historical anachronism! I'm the epitome of modernity. Why, this very year I acquired a mechanical calculator of cutting edge design (manufactured in 1948, designed in 1938).

And I do not possess a car. I travel in a chariot drawn by six enormo-haddock.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    New thread.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,491
    edited October 2018
    Another interesting Decarbonisation graph.

The importance of C02 from landfill was a surprise for me.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZdfXWNW4AAizfh.jpg

(Source
    https://twitter.com/burgersb/status/979357336207855618)

Also:
    https://twitter.com/burgersb/status/979359426716069889

• Options

Mrs C, I am not a historical anachronism! I'm the epitome of modernity. Why, this very year I acquired a mechanical calculator of cutting edge design (manufactured in 1948, designed in 1938).

And I do not possess a car. I travel in a chariot drawn by six enormo-haddock.

I expected no less :D:D
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    MattW said:

Another interesting Decarbonisation graph.

The importance of C02 from landfill was a surprise for me.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZdfXWNW4AAizfh.jpg

(Source
    https://twitter.com/burgersb/status/979357336207855618)

Also:
    https://twitter.com/burgersb/status/979359426716069889

Looking at that last graph, the green crap in action!
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited October 2018
    Sean_F said:

The climate change report today warning of serious issues if the world does not reduce emissions to me is impossible to achieve when you look at how disfunctional the world is. Trump and Putin have no intention of doing anything, China may want to but in truth will not, and in such an angry and divisive political class I fear little will change.

I heard an activist on the radio saying everyone should immediately install solar panels and insulation and go to their car dealer this weekend and buy an electric car. Really.

I doubt that mankind will be able to prevent climate change despite many peoples best endeavours.

It is not to say I do not support sensible measures and have indeed installed solar panels (very successful) and insulation and have a low emission BMW.

Climate change cannot be halted. Economic growth offers the best opportunity to cope with its effects.
    Why can't the anthropogenic forcing of the climate be stopped/reduced?

Waiting for a sensible response from any of the right-wing fruitcakes that live on this blog...

• Options
    SagandSagand Posts: 35
    edited October 2018
    My entry 44.90
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    MY ENTRY 48.50.

This is (rounded) the fifth power of the ratio (e/Pi).
  • Options
    My Entry 37.88
  • Options
    Cruz will get 54.55% of the vote in the election for the Senate seat in Texas to be held on November 6th 2018.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    My Entry
    44.54%
  • Options
    My entry 50.42%
This discussion has been closed.