Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Midterms survey finds the Democrats making progress in 69

Comments

• Options
    Electric Cars are now a present technology not something in the future. Today's UN report just emphasises the need to move away from as much fossil fuel tech as we can onto something more efficient.

Cars we can do, an explosion of the charging network (both BP and Shell own/partner charging companies) is imminent, the real challenge will be commercial vehicles.

As for induction charging I am sure I remember seeing something on Top Gear an eternity ago where they trialled induction loops on the move. Our Hyundai Ioniq already drives itself on the motorway, so imagine an improvement in induction charging where on the motorway instead of the car "only" steering accelerating and braking itself it also charges. Then apply that technology to trucks...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

As I have pointed out regularly, a remarkable number of Leavers are utterly reckless:

https://twitter.com/PeterKGeoghegan/status/1049248523630387201

How reckless to think of breaking up the country!

And completely different from a bawling Remainer who proposed London Independence in a famous online tantrum after the Referendum, then.

How is the London Independence Party coming on?
    London will not indefinitely bankroll reactionary spongers. So I suggest that instead of insulting the bit of the country that props up their prejudices, the craziest Leavers have a good long think about how they're going to reach an accommodation with it.
    When I have insulted London?

I merely pointed out the inconsistency of your argument.
    There's nothing inconsistent in my argument. London would be well shot of the leeching Leave-voting areas which offer it nothing except a drain on resources and insults. That is a sensible aim in its own right.

Leavers, on the other hand, are willing to destroy the United Kingdom in order to save it. This is unhinged.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

As I have pointed out regularly, a remarkable number of Leavers are utterly reckless:

And completely different from a bawling Remainer who proposed London Independence in a famous online tantrum after the Referendum, then.

London will not indefinitely bankroll reactionary spongers. So I suggest that instead of insulting the bit of the country that props up their prejudices, the craziest Leavers have a good long think about how they're going to reach an accommodation with it.

There's nothing inconsistent in my argument. London would be well shot of the leeching Leave-voting areas which offer it nothing except a drain on resources and insults. That is a sensible aim in its own right.

Leavers, on the other hand, are willing to destroy the United Kingdom in order to save it. This is unhinged.
    There is no guarantee Scots would vote for independence even if No Deal, Panelbase had No ahead 52% to 48% even if No Deal yesterday.

In any case all the polling shows even most English voters would comfortably vote for Remain over No Deal so are no different to Scots in that regard. Indeed May is almost agreed on the Withdrawal Agreement and Transition Period to negotiate a FTA by ensuring the whole UK will stay in the Customs Union until a technical solution is found to the Irish border
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718

I see my post on climate change on the last thread and the responses has become a topic of conversation on this thread.

While I thought the response to my post from Matt was absurd and could only come from a Londoner the discussion has broadened out somewhat and is very interesting

The wide scale acceptance outside the Metropolitan areas requires a huge price fall and massive increase in the range. Also charging needs to be as quick as filling the tank now.

In addition someone has going to have to explain how the Treasury replaces the huge income from fuel duty and the cost and time scale when 100% EV are on our roads when they presently account for 2%

Missed your Climate Change post, but I agree the cost of cars will have to come down. Electric cars are simpler than internal combustion (although of course nowhere near as developed) so that's likely. Battery technology is progressing (plus super capacitors) and economies of scale should kick in. The question is how long that will take.
    I wouldn't worry about taxes, I'm sure the government will think of something.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

And when did I insult London, Mr SaffronWalden, Mr Hungary?

I did not insult London. Unless you regard yourself as the embodiment of London, and a slight against Meeks is a slight against the whole of London ... but surely, no.
  • Options

I did not insult London. Unless you regard yourself as the embodiment of London, and a slight against Meeks is a slight against the whole of London ... but surely, no.
    I'm not sure what you think you are gaining by making your posts personal about me, but it certainly doesn't include my respect.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Electric Cars are now a present technology not something in the future. Today's UN report just emphasises the need to move away from as much fossil fuel tech as we can onto something more efficient.

Cars we can do, an explosion of the charging network (both BP and Shell own/partner charging companies) is imminent, the real challenge will be commercial vehicles.

As for induction charging I am sure I remember seeing something on Top Gear an eternity ago where they trialled induction loops on the move. Our Hyundai Ioniq already drives itself on the motorway, so imagine an improvement in induction charging where on the motorway instead of the car "only" steering accelerating and braking itself it also charges. Then apply that technology to trucks...

How do you find the Ioniq? I was considering their plug in hybrid, which would be totally electric day for commuting with its 30 mile range, yet still capable of getting to the Isle of Wight.

• Options

I see my post on climate change on the last thread and the responses has become a topic of conversation on this thread.

While I thought the response to my post from Matt was absurd and could only come from a Londoner the discussion has broadened out somewhat and is very interesting

The wide scale acceptance outside the Metropolitan areas requires a huge price fall and massive increase in the range. Also charging needs to be as quick as filling the tank now.

In addition someone has going to have to explain how the Treasury replaces the huge income from fuel duty and the cost and time scale when 100% EV are on our roads when they presently account for 2%

Missed your Climate Change post, but I agree the cost of cars will have to come down. Electric cars are simpler than internal combustion (although of course nowhere near as developed) so that's likely. Battery technology is progressing (plus super capacitors) and economies of scale should kick in. The question is how long that will take.
    I wouldn't worry about taxes, I'm sure the government will think of something.
    Widescale us of EV will become normal but the time scale is likely to be many years of evolution
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Regarding commercial vehicles, you’d think that lorrys would be prime for this considering they need to stop every 4 hours anyway. Motorway service stations will be rubbing their hands together with glee.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

I'm not sure what you think you are gaining by making your posts personal about me, but it certainly doesn't include my respect.
    I am merely pointing out the inconsistency of someone arguing it is reckless of Leavers to envisage the break up the country .,. while it is sensible for Remainers to envisage the self-same thing.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Maybe we could lay metal rails on the ground and modify the wheels of the car to sit on them and take the charge that way....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

London does very well out being the capital city of the UK. Without its hinterland, it would be 1920's Vienna or Budapest.
  • Options

Regarding commercial vehicles, you’d think that lorrys would be prime for this considering they need to stop every 4 hours anyway. Motorway service stations will be rubbing their hands together with glee.
    I think the weight of HGV batteries is an issue, as these would have considerable impact on payload at current axle weight limits.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

London does very well out being the capital city of the UK. Without its hinterland, it would be 1920's Vienna or Budapest.
    London's hinterland is the whole of Europe. Brexit is a direct assault by the spongers on their golden goose.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    edited October 2018

'Huge' and 'massive' are exaggerations.
    The newly launched Hyundai Kona Electric has a 300 mile range at a cost of £30k, so it's fairly clear that it won't take a massive increase in battery energy density and/or fall in battery costs to come within a better than acceptable range for just about everybody.

Your point about fuel duty is a fair one, and will cause disruption, but governments are adept at replacing tax revenues from elsewhere.
    Consider also that motoring costs (fuel, servicing and vehicle replacement) ought to drop significantly with the mass adoption of electric vehicles - and our balance of payment ought to improve into the bargain.

Net net. we will be noticeably better off. Though the transition might be uncomfortable.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Leave voting areas very often provide the staff who come to work in London. It is a tad hyperbolic to claim that London gets nothing from the country in which it is located. Indeed, the very dominance of London may be one of the problems we have as a country in that we do not have, as many other successful European countries do, strong regional polities and cities and economies. Or not as strong as they might be.

That might be one of the reasons for the Leave vote, of course. But regardless of that I would have thought that a more well-balanced country and economy to be a good thing in itself. Many of the things which make London attractive are also the things which make life in London pretty bloody difficult and stressful unless you have money, lots of it.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Sean_F said:

London's hinterland is the whole of Europe. Brexit is a direct assault by the spongers on their golden goose.
    Spot on! +1.
  • Options
    Why do the right-wingers think that the anthropogenic forcing of the climate cannot be reduced or even halted. Just curious to know as this is probably the biggest crisis facing humanity.
  • Options

The money saved from Brexit will do it. We pay those European parasites enough to budget for electric infrastructure 6.28 times over....

- More money for the NHS
    - A computer in every house
    - All electric infrastructure
    - Empathy lessons for Mrs May (politician and PM)
    - Holidays in Israel for J Corbyn (messiah)
    - Expansion of the Royal Navy to invade Switzerland and empty its banks
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Why do the right-wingers think that the anthropogenic forcing of the climate cannot be reduced or even halted. Just curious to know as this is probably the biggest crisis facing humanity.

Bernard Woolley: What if the Prime Minister insists we help them?
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Then we follow the four-stage strategy.
    Bernard Woolley: What's that?
    Sir Richard Wharton: Standard Foreign Office response in a time of crisis.
    Sir Richard Wharton: In stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Sir Richard Wharton: In stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we *can* do.
    Sir Humphrey Appleby: Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The newly launched Hyundai Kona Electric has a 300 mile range at a cost of £30k,

... or you could buy a Hyundai i10 for £10K and 20K of petrol at current prices should get you about 170,000 miles which the car would probably never do.

"Huge" and "Massive" in terms of cost may be understated

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leave voting areas very often provide the staff who come to work in London. It is a tad hyperbolic to claim that London gets nothing from the country in which it is located. Indeed, the very dominance of London may be one of the problems we have as a country in that we do not have, as many other successful European countries do, strong regional polities and cities and economies. Or not as strong as they might be.

That might be one of the reasons for the Leave vote, of course. But regardless of that I would have thought that a more well-balanced country and economy to be a good thing in itself. Many of the things which make London attractive are also the things which make life in London pretty bloody difficult and stressful unless you have money, lots of it.
    Yes, and this happens on a lifetime basis as well as a commuting basis. London (and other cities) suck in young graduates, but often these move out later to more rural or coastal residences, depending on budgets.

Cumbria and Sussex included, so I understand contain a number of ex City types :)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

rcs1000 said:

Re electrical charging points.

We have electrical cables running down every single street in London. It is barely any more difficult to install an electrical charge point than a parking meter.

Over the next 25 years, every urban street will be filled, end-to-end, with electrical charge points. Every supermarket parking space will have one. Every multistory or office car park.

You will be predicting a computer in every home next :open_mouth:
    Running an electric car and using public charge points can be expensive - sometimes £8 a time. Assuming that gives you 100 miles it is probably not that much cheaper than the petrol for a my Toyota Auris Hybrid which does 60+ MPG
    £9.85 at 60mpg, £8.44 at 70mpg with the average fuel price of £1.30 a litre from the latest AA fuel price report.

I'd love to compare the cost of electricity per kWh you were charged to reach £8 a time with the unit cost for domestic supply. Must have been eye-watering.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    SNP 41% (-1)
    CON 26% (+2)
    LAB 24% (+1)
    LD 7% (-1)

Survation Scotland.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

I think we could do a lot more to be "green".

- Green roofs, for instance. Good for wildlife and provide insulation. There are loads of flat roofs on terraced houses in London and blocks of flats which could be "greened" in this way.
    - Similarly, front gardens with plants in them rather than cars so as to help with water run-off and minimise flooding.
    - Water butts all over the place, including underground ones where practical.
    - And washing lines instead of tumble dryers. They appear to have vanished and yet they are free and dry washing far better than expensive dryers.
    - Community compost heaps in parks. There are sealed ones which are very good at composting, avoid attack by rats and foxes and you don't have to drive to them as you do with recycling centres.
    - Guerilla gardening at roundabouts and underplanting of trees in streets with spring bulbs and the rest.
    - Bird feeders.
    - Making gadgets repairable rather than forcing you to throw them away the minute there is a fault.
    - More allotments.
    - Not wrapping even the smallest item in bloody plastic so that you need a knife to get at the object you've bought.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

rcs1000 said:

We have electrical cables running down every single street in London. It is barely any more difficult to install an electrical charge point than a parking meter.

Over the next 25 years, every urban street will be filled, end-to-end, with electrical charge points. Every supermarket parking space will have one. Every multistory or office car park.

Running an electric car and using public charge points can be expensive - sometimes £8 a time. Assuming that gives you 100 miles it is probably not that much cheaper than the petrol for a my Toyota Auris Hybrid which does 60+ MPG
    £9.85 at 60mpg, £8.44 at 70mpg with the average fuel price of £1.30 a litre from the latest AA fuel price report.

I'd love to compare the cost of electricity per kWh you were charged to reach £8 a time with the unit cost for domestic supply. Must have been eye-watering.
    I can't speak for OGH, but it might be that 'public charge points' have some hefty costs over and above the base leccy price: e.g. the cost of equipment and the ground rental.

These costs would have to be amortised over many users - and given the lack of use of the ones I see around, that must be a hefty addition per user.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The newly launched Hyundai Kona Electric has a 300 mile range at a cost of £30k,

... or you could buy a Hyundai i10 for £10K and 20K of petrol at current prices should get you about 170,000 miles which the car would probably never do.

Yes, you could.
    I wan't saying that electric vehicles are a compelling proposition for many people right now. My point was that it's pretty clear from what is available to buy today, that is won't require any dramatic technological innovations for electric cars to make up the majority of new vehicle registrations within a decade.

Add self driving cars into the mix, and many people who have them now won't bother owing cars at all.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

- Green roofs, for instance. Good for wildlife and provide insulation. There are loads of flat roofs on terraced houses in London and blocks of flats which could be "greened" in this way.
    - Similarly, front gardens with plants in them rather than cars so as to help with water run-off and minimise flooding.
    - And washing lines instead of tumble dryers. They appear to have vanished and yet they are free and dry washing far better than expensive dryers.
    - Community compost heaps in parks. There are sealed ones which are very good at composting, avoid attack by rats and foxes and you don't have to drive to them as you do with recycling centres.
    - Guerilla gardening at roundabouts and underplanting of trees in streets with spring bulbs and the rest.
    - Bird feeders.
    - Making gadgets repairable rather than forcing you to throw them away the minute there is a fault.
    - More allotments.
    - Not wrapping even the smallest item in bloody plastic so that you need a knife to get at the object you've bought.
    Be careful with those bird feeders.

My experience has been it provides “fuel” for an aerial “drop” on my clean, dry washing.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, you could.
    I wan't saying that electric vehicles are a compelling proposition for many people right now. My point was that it's pretty clear from what is available to buy today, that is won't require any dramatic technological innovations for electric cars to make up the majority of new vehicle registrations within a decade.

Add self driving cars into the mix, and many people who have them now won't bother owing cars at all.
    :+1:
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, and this happens on a lifetime basis as well as a commuting basis. London (and other cities) suck in young graduates, but often these move out later to more rural or coastal residences, depending on budgets.

Cumbria and Sussex included, so I understand contain a number of ex City types :)
    Ha! I know one person who works in the City and commutes weekly from Cumbria. (Not me, I hasten to add.). That's exceptional.

There is a lot of talent and energy outside London. And many of those people want to make the places they live in better. This is to be applauded not sneered at. But there is often a failure to recognise this or to assume that those who don't want to live/work in London are somehow deficient in some way. I like my life in London (and I have also learnt to love my bit of Cumbria). But I can also understand why one of my children has chosen to make her career elsewhere and another is thinking of doing so. For the young, life/work in London can feel like going round on a hamster wheel with not much to show for it at the end - unless you aim for those occupations which pay enough to make it worthwhile. Not everyone wants to do this. An economy made up of City folk and those who service them is not necessarily the nirvana that some assume.
  • Options
    Arlene Foster meets Michel Barnier instead of Dominic Raab this week. That's a bit of a clue to where power lies at present.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    murali_s said:

Even if it could and AGW was really a thing - skipping a burger or two isn't worth the effort when China is going coal crazy.

https://www.chinadialogue.net/blog/10761-China-is-building-coal-power-again/en

"Satellite imagery reveals that many coal-fired power projects that were halted by the Chinese government have quietly restarted.

Analysis by CoalSwarm estimates that 46.7 gigawatts of new and restarted coal-fired power construction is visible based on satellite imagery supplied by Planet Labs. The coal-fired power plants are either generating power or will soon be operational. If all the plants reach completion they would increase China’s coal-fired power capacity by 4%."

So forgive me if I have a delicious steak for tea tonight without the slightest pang of guilt.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

- Bird feeders.
    - More allotments.
    All good ideas, but here is a "sticky" one for you - bottled water.

In many areas of the world, the only safe water is bottled and many of the bottles are single use and each person needs several per day. They do not seem to get recycled in anything like the quantity needed, but to ban them would introduce massive health issues.

For myself, I never use bottled water as I drink tea, coffee, wine and prosecco
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Arlene Foster meets Michel Barnier instead of Dominic Raab this week. That's a bit of a clue to where power lies at present.
    Perhaps she'll come back a convinced (European) Unionist.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156
    Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

. . .- And washing lines instead of tumble dryers. They appear to have vanished and yet they are free and dry washing far better than expensive dryers.
    . . .
    In 1994 Palo Alto celebrated its centenary and the local rag explained to readers what life was like 100 years ago. One of the astonishing examples of pioneer life was that families hung out their washing on lines to dry.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

... or to assume that those who don't want to live/work in London are somehow deficient in some way.

I would not live in London if you paid me to...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It's about £500 to install a home charging point (with government grant).
    The new Hyundai has a 65kW battery pack which gives around a 300 mile range.

Cost of (daytime) electricity is (say) 15p per unit including VAT (you could reduce that with a night time rate), so 300 miles costs about a tenner, plus a pound a day over a couple of years to pay for the charging point.

The petrol would be around three times as much ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, you could.

"My point was that it's pretty clear from what is available to buy today, that is won't require any dramatic technological innovations for electric cars to make up the majority of new vehicle registrations within a decade."

Currently, electric cars lack range and cost too much. Currently, batteries are a highly significant proportion of the cost of an electric car. To increase range (and thereby make them more fit for purpose) you have to add more batteries, increasing cost. This makes them less affordable and desirable.

The only way around this cycle is to have technological innovations: such as a dramatic increase in energy density, a super-fast charging capability similar to filling an IC car up, or a decrease in battery cost of an order of magnitude or more.

Lots of companies are promising this, but there is a long road from what works in a lab to what works in a million cars.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

- Bird feeders.
    - More allotments.
    Be careful with those bird feeders.

My experience has been it provides “fuel” for an aerial “drop” on my clean, dry washing.
    Since we got bird feeders our cat food bill has dropped dramatically.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

- Bird feeders.
    - More allotments.
    I don't have a tumble drier, but the problem I had this summer with our washing line was the enthusiasm of my neighbours for having smoky barbecues.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

. . .- And washing lines instead of tumble dryers. They appear to have vanished and yet they are free and dry washing far better than expensive dryers.
    . . .
    In 1994 Palo Alto celebrated its centenary and the local rag explained to readers what life was like 100 years ago. One of the astonishing examples of pioneer life was that families hung out their washing on lines to dry.
    I was born and raised a couple of miles away from Willington power stations. Before hanging the washing out to dry, mum would always check the wind direction as any whites might end up with black specks of soot on them.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    TGOHF said:

murali_s said:

Even if it could and AGW was really a thing - skipping a burger or two isn't worth the effort when China is going coal crazy.

"Satellite imagery reveals that many coal-fired power projects that were halted by the Chinese government have quietly restarted.

Analysis by CoalSwarm estimates that 46.7 gigawatts of new and restarted coal-fired power construction is visible based on satellite imagery supplied by Planet Labs. The coal-fired power plants are either generating power or will soon be operational. If all the plants reach completion they would increase China’s coal-fired power capacity by 4%."

So forgive me if I have a delicious steak for tea tonight without the slightest pang of guilt.
    LOLz

Typical response from a right-wing fruitcake. What price facts and knowledge?

"Even if it could and AGW was really a thing" HAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    murali_s said:

TGOHF said:

murali_s said:

LOLz

You should be outside the Chinese embassy murali - they are ruining the planet.

• Options
    The following story shows why China really can't be trusted on the climate:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44738952
  • Options

Yeah but Chinese CO2 doesn't offend murali as much as Trump CO2.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Except that story's not about CO2 ... ;)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Except that story's not about CO2 ... ;)
    Ok - CFC's then :D

Either way - murali is typical of those who have hijacked the green agenda for political aims.

The biggest casualty in this is the green agenda.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

- Bird feeders.
    - More allotments.
    All good ideas, but here is a "sticky" one for you - bottled water.

In many areas of the world, the only safe water is bottled and many of the bottles are single use and each person needs several per day. They do not seem to get recycled in anything like the quantity needed, but to ban them would introduce massive health issues.

For myself, I never use bottled water as I drink tea, coffee, wine and prosecco
    I never buy bottled water here. Anyone doing so strikes me as bloody daft.

There is a sports shop not far from where I live - the sort aimed at people who drive to the gym to get onto their running machines - and they advertise "thin water", whatever that is.

Maybe in other parts of the world we need to develop biodegradable water bottles and/or invest in safe water sources.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    New ElectoralCalculus forecast based on September polls:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

- Bird feeders.
    - More allotments.
    I don't have a tumble drier, but the problem I had this summer with our washing line was the enthusiasm of my neighbours for having smoky barbecues.
    Well, it was so hot that washing tended to be dry in minutes so I did not worry too much about barbecues. But of all the houses on my side of the street - south-facing and with a good cross-wind, wonderful for drying - most of which are occupied by families mine is now the only one with a washing line. I can only imagine everyone else's homes must be full of racks with drying sheets, pants and the rest - or they have enormous electricity bills.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    murali_s said:

You genuinely think that the solubility of a problem varies directly with its magnitude?
  • Options
    The Conservative and Unionist Party has become the English Nationalist Party.
    https://twitter.com/peterkgeoghegan/status/1049248523630387201?s=21
  • Options

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

. . .
    I was born and raised a couple of miles away from Willington power stations. Before hanging the washing out to dry, mum would always check the wind direction as any whites might end up with black specks of soot on them.
    The classic economic "externality" (I believe it's in Marshall's Principles).
  • Options
    murali_s said:

TGOHF said:

murali_s said:

LOLz

Science is apolitical, and incompetent invective does not win arguments. Why not make your first ever adult and substantive post and state your position on the apparent facts which have been offered to you? In case you don't know how to google, here's a link: coalswarm.org
  • Options

"My point was that it's pretty clear from what is available to buy today, that is won't require any dramatic technological innovations for electric cars to make up the majority of new vehicle registrations within a decade."

Currently, electric cars lack range and cost too much. Currently, batteries are a highly significant proportion of the cost of an electric car. To increase range (and thereby make them more fit for purpose) you have to add more batteries, increasing cost. This makes them less affordable and desirable.

The only way around this cycle is to have technological innovations: such as a dramatic increase in energy density, a super-fast charging capability similar to filling an IC car up, or a decrease in battery cost of an order of magnitude or more.

Lots of companies are promising this, but there is a long road from what works in a lab to what works in a million cars.

Actually, no.

Many households - particularly outside London, or in places like... uh... Los Angeles - have two cars.

In the vast majority of these households, only one car will be used for long trips. The other will be used to do the school run, go to the supermarket, and perhaps a modest commute. The car may well be doing 200 miles a week. But it's doing that at a rate of at most 40 miles a day.

A car with a 200 mile range, that can do longer trips occasionally, but will never be used for a cross country roadtrip, can easily be electric. As it will be plugged in every night, it will mostly be using off peak electricity. This car will have lower maintenance costs than an internal combustion engine. It will have negligible fuel costs. It will be higher performance and more pleasant to drive (more torque, more storage).

Why would anyone choose an internal combustion engine car over an electric one for a second car? I think it's no surprise at all that Tesla Model 3's are outselling other cars in their price range in the US - the BMW 3-series, Audi A4, Mercedes C-class, Lexus IS and Jaguar XE. And when I say outselling, I mean selling more than all those cars combined.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

- Bird feeders.
    - More allotments.
    Well, it was so hot that washing tended to be dry in minutes so I did not worry too much about barbecues. But of all the houses on my side of the street - south-facing and with a good cross-wind, wonderful for drying - most of which are occupied by families mine is now the only one with a washing line. I can only imagine everyone else's homes must be full of racks with drying sheets, pants and the rest - or they have enormous electricity bills.
    We've always used washing lines. Clothes last longer if they are dried naturally.

(In LA, there is a laundry service that promises to wash and air dry your clothes. I can only assume they do it in a big warehouse. With fans.)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

You genuinely think that the solubility of a problem varies directly with its magnitude?
    Maybe more effort should be dedicated to problems of larger magnitude.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    felix said:

SNP 41% (-1)
    CON 26% (+2)
    LAB 24% (+1)
    LD 7% (-1)

Survation Scotland.

SNP down 5% on 2016 should be enough to give Ruth Davidson rather than Patrick Harvie the balance of power
  • Options

Wales of course voted Leave too.

Plus that also presumes that Scots will automatically vote Yes to independence after Brexit, that is not certain either, Panelbase had No to independence ahead 52% to 48% yesterday even in the event of No Deal, the hardest of Brexit outcomes
  • Options
    Me_Me_ Posts: 66
    Hi everyone, does anyone has Paul Magg's email? I want to talk about the Brazilian election, but I didn't find his contact. Thanks.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Actually, no.

Many households - particularly outside London, or in places like... uh... Los Angeles - have two cars.

In the vast majority of these households, only one car will be used for long trips. The other will be used to do the school run, go to the supermarket, and perhaps a modest commute. The car may well be doing 200 miles a week. But it's doing that at a rate of at most 40 miles a day.

A car with a 200 mile range, that can do longer trips occasionally, but will never be used for a cross country roadtrip, can easily be electric. As it will be plugged in every night, it will mostly be using off peak electricity. This car will have lower maintenance costs than an internal combustion engine. It will have negligible fuel costs. It will be higher performance and more pleasant to drive (more torque, more storage).

Why would anyone choose an internal combustion engine car over an electric one for a second car? I think it's no surprise at all that Tesla Model 3's are outselling other cars in their price range in the US - the BMW 3-series, Audi A4, Mercedes C-class, Lexus IS and Jaguar XE. And when I say outselling, I mean selling more than all those cars combined.
    Tesla Model 3's cost an absolute fortune, and are nowhere near the promised price - if they don't reduce it soon I'll start calling it a classic bait-and-switch. ;)

You have a point about second cars, but the original quote was about the majority of new car registrations - and they're not second cars by definition.

Most people aren't rich. for those of us who are not, there are lots of negatives to EVs at the current time. I look forward to those negatives being addressed, but we're nowhere near that atm.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Cost of (daytime) electricity is (say) 15p per unit including VAT (you could reduce that with a night time rate), so 300 miles costs about a tenner, plus a pound a day over a couple of years to pay for the charging point.

But you don't have the capital outlay of the charging unit. My petrol bill for the year is about £730 and the range of my car is just under 600 miles - two or three times better than an EV.

When EVs are the cars of choice for UBER drivers then you'll know they've arrived.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

. . .
    WE still use washing line when weather permits, washing smells so much better. Need tumble dryer though as backup.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

SNP 41% (-1)
    CON 26% (+2)
    LAB 24% (+1)
    LD 7% (-1)

Survation Scotland.

SNP down 5% on 2016 should be enough to give Ruth Davidson rather than Patrick Harvie the balance of power
    LOL
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

Maybe more effort should be dedicated to problems of larger magnitude.
    Of course. But that is not what is being claimed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Plus that also presumes that Scots will automatically vote Yes to independence after Brexit, that is not certain either, Panelbase had No to independence ahead 52% to 48% yesterday even in the event of No Deal, the hardest of Brexit outcomes
    Support is holding and even rising , will be a certainty next time for sure.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

You'd really have to go out of your way to deliberately misinterpret that comment like that. The "as" makes it very clear he's saying that the magnitude of the crisis is why he wants to know, not a reason to think it's soluble.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Support is holding and even rising , will be a certainty next time for sure.
    Independence from UK - Good
    Independence from EU - Bad

You nationalists in Scotland should just admit what the nationalists in Wales hate to put in writing, that the underlying reason for independence is that you fucking hate the English.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

None of which mitigates the fact that the Conservative and Unionist Party is now the English Nationalist Party

• Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

But you don't have the capital outlay of the charging unit. My petrol bill for the year is about £730 and the range of my car is just under 600 miles - two or three times better than an EV.

When EVs are the cars of choice for UBER drivers then you'll know they've arrived.
    Not Ubers yet...but black cabs yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxnJQP2_0E
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

HYUFD said:

None of which mitigates the fact that the Conservative and Unionist Party is now the English Nationalist Party

And what's wrong with that? Would you have opposed a Labour/SNP coalition post-2015?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No as I said Wales voted Leave and the Tories are the main opposition party in Wales and Scotland
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited October 2018
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

And what's wrong with that? Would you have opposed a Labour/SNP coalition post-2015?

There’s nothing wrong with it. I just think it’s noteworthy that an avowedly unionist party has so abandoned unionism.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No as I said Wales voted Leave and the Tories are the main opposition party in Wales and Scotland

Neither of which has anything to do with the fact that most Tory voters now value England leaving the EU above preserving the UK.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

There’s nothing wrong with it. I just think it’s noteworthy that an avowedly unionist party has so abandoned unionism.

To be fair to the Tories - and I don't like being fair to them - it's the voters that have moved that way, mostly as a reaction to asymmetrical devolution. One of the worst moments of the EU referendum for Remain in my opinion was the appearance of Nicola Sturgeon on the ITV debate. A terrible decision to put her on a GB broadcast.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335

Or it recognises the deal has all but been done but that’s she’s the sticking point.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Thats just a hybrid with a 20 mile range battery. Is it not?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
  • Options
    notme said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Just? Cabbies will charge as often as possible to maximise electric miles. More electric miles means better air means healthier Londoners.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

TGOHF said:

murali_s said:

LOLz

Science is apolitical, and incompetent invective does not win arguments. Why not make your first ever adult and substantive post and state your position on the apparent facts which have been offered to you? In case you don't know how to google, here's a link: coalswarm.org
    Look here, AGW is a fact. The Earth is warming and warming alarmingly. The CO2 hypothesis is the only one that holds water. Pretty much everyone with half a brain buys into it. Yes, there is uncertainty to the rate of warming and with these things there is unlikely to be a linear projection as the human fingerprint is superimposed on the natural variability of the climate.

The deniers of which there are only a handful these days cannot come up with a sound scientific explanation why the globe has warmed over the last 150 years.

2019 will most likely to another top 3 year - no surprises there I guess.

You link in a mickey-mouse website, I'll give you a link to a world acclaimed institution. Go educate yourself - you might learn something my friend.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate-guide

• Options

notme said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Just? Cabbies will charge as often as possible to maximise electric miles. More electric miles means better air means healthier Londoners.
    Where will they charge?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Freggles said:

Nice

Ah, it's the name your favourite biscuit thread.

Plain chocolate digestive.
    The pb biscuit of choice is the bourbon. They have learned nothing and they have forgotten nothing.
    I've long felt that the fact that Garibaldi was from Nice and expelled the Bourbons is a subtle hint that we are indeed living in a simulation.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

TGOHF said:

murali_s said:

"Satellite imagery reveals that many coal-fired power projects that were halted by the Chinese government have quietly

LOLz

Look here, AGW is a fact. The Earth is warming and warming alarmingly. The CO2 hypothesis is the only one that holds water. Pretty much everyone with half a brain buys into it. Yes, there is uncertainty to the rate of warming and with these things there is unlikely to be a linear projection as the human fingerprint is superimposed on the natural variability of the climate.

The deniers of which there are only a handful these days cannot come up with a sound scientific explanation why the globe has warmed over the last 150 years.

2019 will most likely to another top 3 year - no surprises there I guess.

You link in a mickey-mouse website, I'll give you a link to a world acclaimed institution. Go educate yourself - you might learn something my friend.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate-guide

You make your argument but why hector posters

Climate change is with us but the argument has to be that without worldwide agreement the heavy lifting will not be present. Trump and Putin are not interested and there are so many conflicts and divisive politics I just do not see co-ordinated responses.

I am sure individual countries will green their economies where there is the political will and their electorate accept the cost.

I do expect the UK will develop further solar and wind power plus EV but it is a long term project, not the 10 years mentioned today
  • Options

notme said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Where will they charge?
    Install inductive charging at cab ranks? The new city-centre tram extension in Birmingham is going to have that at the terminus I believe. The trams will run on conventional OLE wires on the existing route and then on batteries for the extension as wires were deemed an eyesore for the centre.
  • Options

notme said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Where will they charge?
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/electric-vehicles-and-rapid-charging#on-this-page-6
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Of course voters are not the party whose official policy and practice remains steadfastly Unionist - unlike Labour who'd sellout NI at the drop of a hat.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

. . .
    It's illegal to put your clothes out to dry in many, if not most places, in the US, including where I live.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Belatedly, I haven’t lived in London since 2000. I grew up in a (very) rural county, I live in one now. I walk, I cycle, I drive - I have the scars, literally, from cycling in London.

At least some of the comments I’ve seen here are similar to those that one sees from people of my mother’s generation - EVs are good for other people and I’m not going to compromise in my lifestyle - I need, I want.The evidence around pollution near major roads and it’s effects on human health means that, increasingly internal combustion engines will be seen as a blight not worth suffering. That’s not withstanding a moral argument about pollution, behaviour and its effect on future generations.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

SNP 41% (-1)
    CON 26% (+2)
    LAB 24% (+1)
    LD 7% (-1)

Survation Scotland.

I will still be surprised if the SNP exceed 35% at the next Westminster election. Labour could well be at circa 30%.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

. . .
    It's illegal to put your clothes out to dry in many, if not most places, in the US, including where I live.
    Why?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

. . .
    Thanks, I didn't know that. Why is it illegal?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rpjs said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

. . .
    Why?
    For aesthetic reasons mostly. We're not allowed to fence or hedge in our property as well.

For a country that calls itself the "Land of the Free" the US has a myriad of petty regulations.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

notme said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Where will they charge?
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/electric-vehicles-and-rapid-charging#on-this-page-6
    Thanks for that.

I'm unsure even that would fit in with the standard back cab duty cycle - and why is the taxpayer paying for what is an advantage for the cabbie? ;)
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Foxy said:

rpjs said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

. . .
    Why?
    For aesthetic reasons mostly. We're not allowed to fence or hedge in our property as well.

For a country that calls itself the "Land of the Free" the US has a myriad of petty regulations.
    "For a country that calls itself the "Land of the Fee" the US has a myriad of petty regulations."

I fixed that for you ;)
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Foxy said:

rpjs said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

murali_s said:

. . .
    Why?

Don't good fences make good neighbours? I have always thought that is a very American insight .
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps it just reflects the views of an increasing number of English voters. My view is that the Union is, if not already a dead letter, approaching its death throes.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OT Google is closing google+ after a data breach and may be in trouble for keeping schtum about vulnerabilities.
  • Options
    matt said:

Belatedly, I haven’t lived in London since 2000. I grew up in a (very) rural county, I live in one now. I walk, I cycle, I drive - I have the scars, literally, from cycling in London.

At least some of the comments I’ve seen here are similar to those that one sees from people of my mother’s generation - EVs are good for other people and I’m not going to compromise in my lifestyle - I need, I want.The evidence around pollution near major roads and it’s effects on human health means that, increasingly internal combustion engines will be seen as a blight not worth suffering. That’s not withstanding a moral argument about pollution, behaviour and its effect on future generations.

That's wrong.

I ink the vast majority of people can see the advantage of EVs - an exception IME being out-and-out petrolheads who like the smell of petrol and grease.

It's not a case of "EVs are good for other people and I’m not going to compromise in my lifestyle", but: "EVs are good, but only other people can afford them, and my 'lifestyle' is actually how I effing well get into work. It's a necessity."
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

In LA, I've had electric Ubers a bunch of times
This discussion has been closed.