Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters now make it a 57% chance that TMay will be out next ye

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2018
    I do find it amusing that the Women's Equality Party is angry that the government is improving equality between men and women.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/oct/09/state-pension-age-rise-thousands-women-london-protest
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Sean_F said:

I don't know if there's any Brexit polling on the legal profession. I expect that solicitors and barristers voted much like upper middle class voters generally, about 58% to 42% in favour of Remain.
    82% of UK based lawyers voted Remain but 26% of managing and senior partners in law firms voted Leave

https://www.thelawyer.com/revealed-82-lawyers-voted-remain/
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

Northumbria?

Yer having a laugh.

It is Yorkshire or Greater Yorkshire.

Greater Durham

Run by an elected Bishop.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    English devolution must be along historic county lines - areas people actually identify with rather than obscure ‘geographical’ groupings. There’s a reason the ‘North East’ assembly referendum failed.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I would place a sporting wager that if Jeremy Corbyn were to be elected Prime Minister that some of the pb Tories would decide that they didn't need to wait until the following election to oppose some at least of his policies with every fibre of their beings and would take direct actions to seek to thwart them.

We wouldn’t stop him moving into 10 Downing Street and becoming PM
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

DavidL said:

Interesting thought. Essex is split between London and East Anglia. It is, but that’s rarely recognised. Just so long as the County Cricket ground stays in Real (i.e. East Anglian) Essex!
    How can Wessex not include Winchester?
    Excellent point. Who dreamed up this?
    The entire south is a bit clunky. the Solent/Thames area looks very odd. People tend to think of it being 'the south coast' area. Not linking Southampton with, what Milton Keynes or Northampton in the North?

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709

Pimlico Plumbers are running an eye-catching campaign.

https://twitter.com/PimlicoPlumbers/status/1049592980728926209

Yet another numpty screeching and shouting, without a workable alternative plan.

(And yes, I know he's a remainer.)
    Remaining is a workable plan - No Northern Ireland problem, no single market or customs union problem, no Gibraltar problem, no problems for exporters or the City.
    Probably also a democratically popular outcome.
    Saw a Pimlico Plumbers sign from the Soton to Waterloo train.
  • Options
    felix said:

Chris Williamson may face attempts to deselect him in Derby - he's annoyed the TU's. What a bitch Karma is sometimes :)

His response was “I’d obviously hope I have the confidence if members but if they want someone else that’s up to them. Clearly would be disappointing on an individual level but that’s life”

Difficult to disagree with that response
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Charles said:

I would place a sporting wager that if Jeremy Corbyn were to be elected Prime Minister that some of the pb Tories would decide that they didn't need to wait until the following election to oppose some at least of his policies with every fibre of their beings and would take direct actions to seek to thwart them.

If you could win a vote of confidence against him shortly after the election, you'd turn down the chance?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    Charles said:

What if you knew that once he moved in, he could only be moved out with the explicit agreement of the prime ministers and both parliaments of each of the 27 EU member states?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Interesting thought. Essex is split between London and East Anglia. It is, but that’s rarely recognised. Just so long as the County Cricket ground stays in Real (i.e. East Anglian) Essex!
    How can Wessex not include Winchester?
    Excellent point. Who dreamed up this?
    Why is Wessex split into 3 with chucks given to Kernow, Mercia and London?
  • Options

Charles said:

If you could win a vote of confidence against him shortly after the election, you'd turn down the chance?
    He’d be PM until he wasn’t.

Once we leave you can campaign to rejoin
  • Options

Charles said:

What if you knew that once he moved in, he could only be moved out with the explicit agreement of the prime ministers and both parliaments of each of the 27 EU member states?
    If those are the rules, those are the rules

(Silly analogy. Fundamentally too many people are trying to reverse a democratic decision they don’t like. I think they are misled by the media attention and the twitter sphere as to the popular appetite for this in practice)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited October 2018
    HYUFD said:
    How about we free the Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh from the Norman yoke and just have 'England'? We could grant political asylum to unionists fleeing Scotland/Wales. Everyone's happy then. Apart from the DUP of course, but honestly, has anyone ever seen a member of the DUP with a smile on their face?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Yet another numpty screeching and shouting, without a workable alternative plan.

Remaining is a workable plan - No Northern Ireland problem, no single market or customs union problem, no Gibraltar problem, no problems for exporters or the City.
    If it were democratically popular, then one of the major parties in the UK would be hurriedly making it the very centrepiece of their policies.

There is a reason why the two largest parties ran in 2017 on a platform of respecting the referendum. And the party that didn’t, well they performed catastrophically (even in Remain areas like Cambridge).

Remaining will cause at least as many problems as leaving.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

Off-topic:

I'm listening to Absolute 80s as I'm trying to do some work.

Morrisey is playing.

And it reminds me that he's a twunt.

Boring one as well
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

I do think that Remain's only real chance of winning a putative referendum on the deal (which I still see as an unlikely vote to be offered, anyway) is to take the stance that any deal will have such lengthy repercussions/transition/work to replace and renew what's being shifted and so on that "Brexit" would be a thing for many years, and use the line "Let's just end it" to push for Remain.
    Wouldn't necessarily work, but could tap in to the prevailing sentiment outside of us politics geeks of "Oh, for God's sake, why can't it all be over already?"
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

We're leaving until we aren't.

It's not the fault of Remainers if the project can't sustain support long enough to come into effect.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Northumbria does not include Cumbria, most of Lancashire and definitely not Cheshire. Which is a bit of a problem.
    More of a problem was it went right up to Edinburgh and beyond.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    Charles said:

felix said:

Chris Williamson may face attempts to deselect him in Derby - he's annoyed the TU's. What a bitch Karma is sometimes :)

His response was “I’d obviously hope I have the confidence if members but if they want someone else that’s up to them. Clearly would be disappointing on an individual level but that’s life”

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1049628459792646144
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    edited October 2018

Charles said:

Charles said:

It's not the fault of Remainers if the project can't sustain support long enough to come into effect.
    BiB - Does the same apply to Turkey? They are joining the EU until they aren't.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985

I'm going to be the politruk of our village. I've already started on my list and bought a Tom Courtenay as Strelnikov coat off ebay.
  • Options
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    How about we free the Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh from the Norman yoke and just have 'England'? We could grant political asylum to unionists fleeing Scotland/Wales. Everyone's happy then. Apart from the DUP of course, but honestly, has anyone ever seen a member of the DUP with a smile on their face?
    The Welsh would not vote for independence and even the Scots are not certain too, an English Parliament joining the Scottish Parliament, Welsh and Northern Irish Assemblies with Westminster becoming the Federal Parliament is the way forward
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

If you think so, let's extend Article 50 negotiations indefinitely and we'll be in an analogous position.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

If you think so, let's extend Article 50 negotiations indefinitely and we'll be in an analogous position.
    You said it Mr Glenn, the clock is ticking.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    The Welsh would not vote for independence and even the Scots are not certain too, an English Parliament joining the Scottish Parliament, Welsh and Northern Irish Assemblies with Westminster becoming the Federal Parliament is the way forward
    What chance the pigs at Westminster giving up the trough. It will never happen , they will keep the de facto English parliament as it stands
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited October 2018
    HYUFD said:
    The purpose of English regions would be to devolve power away from London, but to an intermediate scale larger than single counties that is large enough to tackle problems like transport infrastructure.

I think the proposals are a good starting point, but the North Of England is probably too large and London probably still too small.

Edit: I don't see much reason not to split his Thames & Solent region between its neighbours. Yorkshire can, and would want to, stand alone.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709

If it were democratically popular, then one of the major parties in the UK would be hurriedly making it the very centrepiece of their policies.

There is a reason why the two largest parties ran in 2017 on a platform of respecting the referendum. And the party that didn’t, well they performed catastrophically (even in Remain areas like Cambridge).

I'm sure one of the parties would if the small problem of the current leaders could be overcome, e.g Labour led by Kinnock or Starmer.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

(Silly analogy. Fundamentally too many people are trying to reverse a democratic decision they don’t like. I think they are misled by the media attention and the twitter sphere as to the popular appetite for this in practice)
    Seems like it would be sensible to make damn sure that was what the voters actually wanted before making Corbyn dictator for life or when all EU states agreed with each other, I'm pretty sure you'd be saying the same if those were the rules...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Everything that ever goes wrong will be "because we didn't Brexit....".

The Remainers would be whippinng boys and girls for all our future ills.

Plus we would have to grasp our ankles and assume the position, as Brussels decided what we were going to have to sign up for this week...because we never had the balls to Leave.

Remain's only chance is to let Brexit be a horror show - once we have left.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

O/T WRT the US Senate, it looks as though the Republicans are pulling away in Texas, Tennessee, and North Dakota, and the likelihood of the Democrats gaining the Senate is now remote.

It's unusual, but not very unusual, for the House and Senate to move in different directions, simply because only 2/3 of the States have Senate elections each year. 1982 is an example of this. The Republicans lost heavily in the House, but gained a Senate seat, simply because 1976, when the seats were last contested, had been such a good Democratic year.

Chances of Dem Senate have dropped by about 10% since start of month, according to fivethirtyeight models.
    Manchin looks safe in West Virginia. That leaves Indiana, Arizona, Nevada, Missouri, Florida, and Montana as very close fights. I'd be surprised if the Republicans can't win at least one of those.
    Nevada, Missouri and Florida are all toss up states; Indiana, Arizona Lean Dem and Montana still likely Dem.
    I've backed Tester, I think he's still the safest of all those states.
    If I had to pick one that the Republicans will gain, I'd nominate Missouri. Claire McKaskill is a popular Senator, but I don't see her surviving her opposition to Kavanaugh in State that's trended very rapidly Red.
    I'd back Nelson to keep his seat in Florida for the Dems aswell. The Democrat Gillum is leading in the Governor's race, so he'll pull Nelson over the line with him I expect.
    The last two polls show the Florida Governors race tightening a lot - both with only 1 point leads for Gillum. So given how unpredictable the state is I wouldn't say either race is certain.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/governor/fl/florida_governor_desantis_vs_gillum-6518.html
  • Options
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    If a PM was forced by their backbenchers into holding an English Independence from the UK referendum then I think there's a good chance that PM would lose the campaign for Remain and England would vote to Leave the British Union.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    What chance the pigs at Westminster giving up the trough. It will never happen , they will keep the de facto English parliament as it stands
    New jobs as MEPs (for England not Europe)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    The purpose of English regions would be to devolve power away from London, but to an intermediate scale larger than single counties that is large enough to tackle problems like transport infrastructure.

I think the proposals are a good starting point, but the North Of England is probably too large and London probably still too small.

Edit: I don't see much reason not to split his Thames & Solent region between its neighbours. Yorkshire can, and would want to, stand alone.
    Regionalism is what the EU tried to do to break up England in European elections
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,938

I disagree. It's unworkable as nothing would be settled: opinions generally haven't shifted since the referendum. All we'd get is yet more harmful political turmoil, and the EU would get a partner who hated them.

It'd just end up in another referendum, and another leave vote.

We're in a sh*t situation, mainly thanks to leavers who were to lazy to do any work on what would happen if they won. But they won.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985

If a PM was forced by their backbenchers into holding an English Independence from the UK referendum then I think there's a good chance that PM would lose the campaign for Remain and England would vote to Leave the British Union.

Hartlepool would be a good place for the capital and parliament of Little England.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited October 2018
    The main effect of the Kavanaugh confirmation is to unify Trump and the GOP senate far more so than previously I think. They've remembered the DEMs are the real enemy, so a bit like GE2017 for Corbyn & the 'moderates'.
  • Options

I disagree. It's unworkable as nothing would be settled: opinions generally haven't shifted since the referendum. All we'd get is yet more harmful political turmoil, and the EU would get a partner who hated them.

This is fanciful. If Brexit were reversed in another referendum, any politician proposing to go through it all over again would get nowhere.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Dura_Ace said:

Hartlepool would be a good place for the capital and parliament of Little England.
    At least Little England would have a route to export its wares. London - not so much, as The Thames gets blockaded by Kent and Essex....

And they'd be drinking their own piss within a month, as the water got cut off. (Although, no doubt, a range of high-end Piss Bars would open up in Islington....)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,611
    From every beam of every ceiling in Glasgow’s SECC droops the same giant banner: ‘HOPE’, styled in Nationalist yellow and black.

From a distance, it looks like a motivational talk has got out of hand and staged a military coup.

Underneath, SNP members trudge in dismay from conference halls to party tat stalls. Their only hope is that a spontaneous debate on the constitution breaks out at some point, for the national question has been assiduously kept off the agenda. You can’t talk about independence in here. This is the SNP conference.

https://stephendaisley.com/2018/10/09/ian-blackford-belched-out-words-like-a-stubby-little-chimney/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Sort of on-thread:

There seems to be a narrative developing that because the core Brexit supporters don't like where the negotiations are going, Brexit sceptics must, instead. That's seen in assumptions about Labour votes for the final deal, that the Tory 'Remoaner rebels' will come on board, and even suggestions that the Lib Dems would vote for the deal!

This is getting way off beam: Labour, Lib Dems and SNP are all committed to voting against any deal that doesn't include customs union membership - I can't see how any even come round to abstaining (I'm sure a few labour rebels will.) But no-one is enthusiastic about where negotiations are going; it might avoid chaos but it's looking like a truly lousy deal compared to where we are now, and given how tribal the Tories have been about it all, there's no incentive for the opposition to save TMay's bacon.

When did the opposition ever get blamed for the Government losing a vote? (The only example I can think of is the Syria vote when Ed Miliband got blamed - a great bit of spin to cover an incompetent whipping operation, tin-eared to all the rebels on the Government side.) If the vote goes down, it'll be the Tories who get the blame and no-one else.

Put it this way,a journalist offered a Tory MP a £10 bet that Jacob Rees Mogg would end up voting for the deal - he wouldn't take it. Wise move I think. The ERG have most to lose by the deal being voted down; either they lose Brexit in full, or they get totally found out by the chaos of no deal. So I see them holding their noses and twisting their logic to find a reason to support it. They have most to lose by not blinking.
  • Options
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    Excellent, excellent, excellent, one of the very best ideas expressed yet on pb.com.

But, is England ready for the misfits, ex-BNP leaders, geriatrics, and criminals that they have exported to Wales?

Unlike in Scotland, social housing providers in Wales are tied into an “Englandandwales” system. Coveniently too for England, the probation service is an “EnglandansWales” system.

Welsh housing associations often have to give priority treatment to people with no Welsh connections. Many of those housed by these routes into Wales are ‘problem families’ from England (like Georgia Davis), or they’ll be recently released from prison (like Mark Bridger).

Some examples:

Rehoused by Gravesend Council, https://tinyurl.com/y9ml42na

Courtesy of the Englandandwales Probation Services, https://tinyurl.com/yd8fun4u

Courtesy of an Englandandwales Housing Association, a gang of paedophiles helpfully relocated out of London and to Cydweli, https://tinyurl.com/y7hrqpj2

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Charles said:

felix said:

Yes, full marks for consistency. I think he'll be OK, in fact.
  • Options

I'm sure one of the parties would if the small problem of the current leaders could be overcome, e.g Labour led by Kinnock or Starmer.
    Jesus Christ .... Stephen Kinnock ... the man who couldn't even tell the truth about his daughter’s private education to the Aberavon Labour party ... the rich multimillionaire who represents one of the poorest constituencies in Wales. You think he can win a general election. He only just got the nod in Aberavon after telling a pack of lies.

A Kinnock-led Labour Party that supported tearing up the Referendum would be behind the LibDems.

It would be sub 10 per cent.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Seems like it would be sensible to make damn sure that was what the voters actually wanted before making Corbyn dictator for life or when all EU states agreed with each other, I'm pretty sure you'd be saying the same if those were the rules...
    It’s a hypothetical. That’s a waste of time
  • Options
    felix said:
    The Ed Miliband of America. I think
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Dura_Ace said:

At least Little England would have a route to export its wares. London - not so much, as The Thames gets blockaded by Kent and Essex....

And they'd be drinking their own piss within a month, as the water got cut off. (Although, no doubt, a range of high-end Piss Bars would open up in Islington....)
    Bar city airport which handles limited flights all London's airports are in local authority areas (Luton, Hillingdon Crawley, Rochford and Uttlesford) which voted leave - and even Newham was nearly 50-50. You could end up with a Berlin style airlift to feed London via the Royal Docks - although the Chinese have bought that area up now so they may get the supplies first!

When Waitrose runs out of milk coffee and teabags and people can't get their free hot drink every day Hampstead and Islington will explode with rage!
  • Options
    Putin really doesn't give a **** does he.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Put it this way,a journalist offered a Tory MP a £10 bet that Jacob Rees Mogg would end up voting for the deal - he wouldn't take it. Wise move I think. The ERG have most to lose by the deal being voted down; either they lose Brexit in full, or they get totally found out by the chaos of no deal. So I see them holding their noses and twisting their logic to find a reason to support it. They have most to lose by not blinking.

Agree with this. I'd have thought the government would be more likely to use the DUP, though: Their whole thing is getting angry at things and saying no a lot, and they probably don't particularly care whether Brexit happens or not.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    New jobs as MEPs (for England not Europe)
    So even more useless twunts slurping away the subsidised champers, no thanks.
  • Options
  • Options

From every beam of every ceiling in Glasgow’s SECC droops the same giant banner: ‘HOPE’, styled in Nationalist yellow and black.

From a distance, it looks like a motivational talk has got out of hand and staged a military coup.

Underneath, SNP members trudge in dismay from conference halls to party tat stalls. Their only hope is that a spontaneous debate on the constitution breaks out at some point, for the national question has been assiduously kept off the agenda. You can’t talk about independence in here. This is the SNP conference.

https://stephendaisley.com/2018/10/09/ian-blackford-belched-out-words-like-a-stubby-little-chimney/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Blimp Daisley whining as ever, sick he cannot be part of it , your average labour unionist loser. Can you imagine any of the other parties at the SECC, they would only need to book the toilets. The venue required and the green cheese from the unionists says it all.
  • Options

We're in a sh*t situation, mainly thanks to leavers who were to lazy to do any work on what would happen if they won. But they won.
    Perhaps Remainers should not have been so cocky and got off their butts. Hoist by their own petard.
  • Options
    He’s getting reckless.
  • Options

This is fanciful. If Brexit were reversed in another referendum, any politician proposing to go through it all over again would get nowhere.
    *If* Brexit was reversed, then we'd just be back in the situation we were before 2016, with every little ill facing the country being blamed on the EU. Except this time with the added fire of betrayal, we wuz robbed, etc.

It'd settle nothing. Euroscepticism would still infect politics on all sides, and any politician proposing to go through it all again on leave's side would get a great deal of support.

I don't like the Brexiteers screeching against a second meaningful referendum. But I'd also dislike remainers, if they won another referendum, arguing against another. And that's the problem: the country's split.

If we have another referendum, I hope to God one side or the other comprehensively wins it.
  • Options

He’s getting reckless.
    He can afford to. The west lacks anything to fight with.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    edited October 2018

"The longer Blackford gripped the podium, the more I wondered if the Nats had employed the same sign-maker as Theresa May did last year. A placard in front of him read ‘HOPE’. The letters ‘LESS’ had obviously fallen off."

Very good. Nicola is running out of time.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Perhaps Remainers should not have been so cocky and got off their butts. Hoist by their own petard.
    I don't think that's true: they did work for a win. It's just that leave had some powerful cards; including the central lie that has led us into this situation.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    malcolmg said:

What did you expect us to do? Most of us had never given the subject a moment's thought before, and in any case it all looked like a way for Cameron to shut up his internal critics. It didn't seem like anything to do with me.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,611

He’s getting reckless.
    Don’t get TSE excited....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

"The longer Blackford gripped the podium, the more I wondered if the Nats had employed the same sign-maker as Theresa May did last year. A placard in front of him read ‘HOPE’. The letters ‘LESS’ had obviously fallen off."

Plenty of time yet David
  • Options

malcolmg said:

What did you expect us to do? Most of us had never given the subject a moment's thought before, and in any case it all looked like a way for Cameron to shut up his internal critics. It didn't seem like anything to do with me.
    Cameron and the Tories are the ones to blame.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

malcolmg said:

I don't think that's true: they did work for a win. It's just that leave had some powerful cards; including the central lie that has led us into this situation.
    Cameron sat on his arse , cocky to the end.
    PS: Probably eating Pasties as well
  • Options

*If* Brexit was reversed, then we'd just be back in the situation we were before 2016, with every little ill facing the country being blamed on the EU. Except this time with the added fire of betrayal, we wuz robbed, etc.

It'd settle nothing. Euroscepticism would still infect politics on all sides, and any politician proposing to go through it all again on leave's side would get a great deal of support.

I don't like the Brexiteers screeching against a second meaningful referendum. But I'd also dislike remainers, if they won another referendum, arguing against another. And that's the problem: the country's split.

If we have another referendum, I hope to God one side or the other comprehensively wins it.
    Personne n'est corrigé; personne n'a su ni rien oublier ni rien apprendre.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Plenty of time yet David
    For the SNP certainly but Nicola is showing the strain of trying to be all things to all nationalists.

She has to keep those who want a referendum now happy and somewhat lacklustre days of action or marches down the Royal Mile are not going to cut it. She recognises that this really isn't the time and she must also recognise that the Brexit negotiations have blown any fantasy about a velvet divorce from England out of the water for ever. We have been in the EU 45 years and the Union over 300. It doesn't bear thinking about.

The GERs numbers are appalling, Swinney's time as Education Minister is one disaster after another and wiping out the NHS Trust deficits, whilst sensible, has squeezed the pips on the budget. Plus she has to put up with her predecessor being a pain in the backside.

She is an exceptionally able politician and the SNP are damned lucky to have her but you can see the strain. How much longer does she want to do this and who's next?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Ely is the obvious alternative. It has a nice cathedral (traditional hierarchy is important to the small minded), it is very small, and is right in the middle of a nice bit of inward looking fenland. Admittedly it is close to Remain voting Cambridge (danger: lots of "experts" live there), but that just might help to get that feeling of self-righteous injustice, chippy-ness and hatred of others that all nationalists thrive on.
  • Options

The Zionist pie eater sure knows the location of Unionists' buttons, everyone else, not so much. I don't suppose he'd be writing for the Mail if he was really interested in doing that.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Dura_Ace said:

Ely is the obvious alternative. It has a nice cathedral (traditional hierarchy is important to the small minded), it is very small, and is right in the middle of a nice bit of inward looking fenland. Admittedly it is close to Remain voting Cambridge (danger: lots of "experts" live there), but that just might help to get that feeling of self-righteous injustice, chippy-ness and hatred of others that all nationalists thrive on.
    Sooner Ely than Brussels.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Northumbria?

Yer having a laugh.

It is Yorkshire or Greater Yorkshire.

There’s a difference? ;)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:
    Who says that they have to have a vote?
  • Options

The Zionist pie eater sure knows the location of Unionists' buttons, everyone else, not so much. I don't suppose he'd be writing for the Mail if he was really interested in doing that.
    The correct banner for any bunch of nationalists should be HATE, not hope. At least they would at last then be being honest
  • Options
    Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

I was once walking along the waterfront in Ely when I saw a narrowboat smash into a cruiser. Obviously fertile Brexiteer territory. ;)

That's still not as good as the one a couple of decades ago, when a hire cruiser left a boatyard, hit a dolphin (*) and sank, blocking the river. The family hiring it had managed to go about fifty metres ...

(*) Not the aquatic mammal.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Winchester was, of course, the original capital of England. The once and future capital?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

Brussels wasn't/isn't our capital you dipstick. Do you live in the fens?
  • Options

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes because after Brexit our capital will definitely move from London, and it was in no way a jokey conversation. What a dope, and so easily wound up too!
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

I was once walking along the waterfront in Ely when I saw a narrowboat smash into a cruiser. Obviously fertile Brexiteer territory. ;)

That's still not as good as the one a couple of decades ago, when a hire cruiser left a boatyard, hit a dolphin (*) and sank, blocking the river. The family hiring it had managed to go about fifty metres ...

Many years ago I was by entrance to Weymouth Harbour when a cruiser turned up about 10 minutes after the lifting bridge had closed. It had a sizeable mast and as it approached the bridge at a fair speed we were watching thinking "is that going to get under?" The answer was a sizeable thud and the mast came down. What made it most amusing was that their was a guy piloting the boat and what we assumed was his wife at the back. I'd love to have seen the resulting domestic that must have followed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

Dura_Ace said:

Winchester was, of course, the original capital of England. The once and future capital?
    Winchester voted 58.9% Remain.

Sensible folk, would be an excellent for the new capital.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Possibly a good one. In those days it was I believe an ambition of Alfred to unite all of Engaland . This is of course why many football hooligans pronounce it this way, because they are in reality highly cultured and wish to hark back to a time when it was encouraged to go and have a good fight with continental foreigners (Danes, Norse, Frankish, Welsh, Irish etc.)
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    I'm not surprised she's still there, May's a fighter you don't last as long as she did in the Home Office (a death sentence of a ministerial job for most) and not have some fighting qualities.

I suspect a lot of the contenders don't want Brexit and the nature of the Brexit on their resume, they will be happy to see May 'own' that exit good or bad and then take over.

There really is a piss poor list of candidates out there, headed by Boris who proved once again he is not fit for the highest political office in the land after his stint as Foreign Secretary and his newspaper columns afterwards.

I think once there is a contest you will see one of the most engineered 'stop a candidate' efforts seen for a while in the Conservative Party. You will see tactical voting to stop Boris getting to the membership, he's hated by the majority of MP's clearly. I don't think you will see candidates giving him votes a la Labour did with Corbyn to have a contest around a wider range of views.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

Many years ago I was by entrance to Weymouth Harbour when a cruiser turned up about 10 minutes after the lifting bridge had closed. It had a sizeable mast and as it approached the bridge at a fair speed we were watching thinking "is that going to get under?" The answer was a sizeable thud and the mast came down. What made it most amusing was that their was a guy piloting the boat and what we assumed was his wife at the back. I'd love to have seen the resulting domestic that must have followed.
    My grand-uncle spent his adult life at sea as a captain. After he retired, the many generations of his family decided to take him on a canal cruise. In the week, he was the only one to run the narrowboat aground ...

To his credit, he loves that story.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

The peace treaty between England and Scotland was the Edinburgh-Northampton treaty ratified by the English Parliament at Northampton, so I say put the English Parliament in Northampton. ;)
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes because after Brexit our capital will definitely move from London, and it was in no way a jokey conversation. What a dope, and so easily wound up too!
    You might want to reread what you have written, though I think I understand what your brain cell was attempting to instruct you to type. London always was our capital you moron. Your ignorance merely confirms the stereotype Brexit supporter. Go on, tell me it was all about "sovereignty", then try and explain why
  • Options
    The ERG are increasingly sounding worried. Seems they know they're screwed, and its May's Brexit, or no Brexit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    Dura_Ace said:

Couldn’t we just give Little England the Isle of Wight and the rest of us carry on as before ?
  • Options

Brom said:

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

You might want to reread what you have written, though I think I understand what your brain cell was attempting to instruct you to type. London always was our capital you moron. Your ignorance merely confirms the stereotype Brexit supporter. Go on, tell me it was all about "sovereignty", then try and explain why
    Wither Colchester & Winchester ?
  • Options
    That nobend should trigger a by election, that’ll show Mrs May.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Couldn’t we just give Little England the Isle of Wight and the rest of us carry on as before ?
    I was thinking the same. They say New Zealand is like England in the 1950s, maybe we could persuade the Kiwis to take a few million of them in, though I am told New Zealanders are generally a broadminded positive lot, so they might say no
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

Wither Colchester & Winchester ?
    Fair point ( I too love a little pedantry). Alright then, has always been our capital of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That OK?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Isle of Wight is one of the nicest part's of the UK, it would be highly sought after.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Winchester voted 58.9% Remain.

Sensible folk, would be an excellent for the new capital.
    There isn't room. The streets are too narrow, the floodplain of the Itchen hampers expansion and such large buildings as there are, are in use for other purposes.
  • Options

May is more ruthless than Cameron. She'd expel him.
  • Options

The ERG are increasingly sounding worried. Seems they know they're screwed, and its May's Brexit, or no Brexit.
    There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
  • Options

Brom said:

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

Oh Dear Nigel, The joke just flew over your head. Sad seeing an old man so bitter about Brexit on the internet. By the way as a history graduate I should point out that London was not always our capital, you can trust me I'm an expert :)
  • Options

Haha. What a twat. Any following he had in parliament evaporated when he pulled that one. Every one realised he was nothing more than a stupid stunt
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Charles said:

felix said:
    The Ed Miliband of America. I think
    Christ! That bad.
This discussion has been closed.