Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters now make it a 57% chance that TMay will be out next ye

13»

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited October 2018
    Personally I for one am very grateful for the many Londoners that work long hours with expensive rents, overcrowded housing and roads (I 'visited' the M25 a few weeks back) and horrendous pollution all to provide plenty of tax receipts for the rest of the country.
  • That nobend should trigger a by election, that’ll show Mrs May.
    May is more ruthless than Cameron. She'd expel him.
    Nah. Cf Bollywood’s biggest fan Zac Goldsmith.
  • felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:
    The Ed Miliband of America. I think
    Christ! That bad.
    Well Hillary Clinton won the popular vote so not that bad.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

That nobend should trigger a by election, that’ll show Mrs May.
    May is more ruthless than Cameron. She'd expel him.
    Nah. Cf Bollywood’s biggest fan Zac Goldsmith.
    Good point, but at that time she still had Johnson in the cabinet who could have used the Heathrow issue against her and he'd made the pledge before she took over.
  • Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

If a PM was forced by their backbenchers into holding an English Independence from the UK referendum then I think there's a good chance that PM would lose the campaign for Remain and England would vote to Leave the British Union.

Hartlepool would be a good place for the capital and parliament of Little England.
    Ely is the obvious alternative. It has a nice cathedral (traditional hierarchy is important to the small minded), it is very small, and is right in the middle of a nice bit of inward looking fenland. Admittedly it is close to Remain voting Cambridge (danger: lots of "experts" live there), but that just might help to get that feeling of self-righteous injustice, chippy-ness and hatred of others that all nationalists thrive on.
    Sooner Ely than Brussels.
    Brussels wasn't/isn't our capital you dipstick. Do you live in the fens?
    Yes because after Brexit our capital will definitely move from London, and it was in no way a jokey conversation. What a dope, and so easily wound up too!
    You might want to reread what you have written, though I think I understand what your brain cell was attempting to instruct you to type. London always was our capital you moron. Your ignorance merely confirms the stereotype Brexit supporter. Go on, tell me it was all about "sovereignty", then try and explain why
    Oh Dear Nigel, The joke just flew over your head. Sad seeing an old man so bitter about Brexit on the internet. By the way as a history graduate I should point out that London was not always our capital, you can trust me I'm an expert :)
    Gosh mummy must be very proud! They must be doling out history degrees like Smarties nowadays if brexiters who can't construct a sentence or argument get them. Did you buy it online? I was referring to capital of UK for period while we have been in the EEC/EU, which even a duffer with a pass grade history degree from DegreesRUS Online must be able to figure
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Brom said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

If a PM was forced by their backbenchers into holding an English Independence from the UK referendum then I think there's a good chance that PM would lose the campaign for Remain and England would vote to Leave the British Union.

Hartlepool would be a good place for the capital and parliament of Little England.
    Couldn’t we just give Little England the Isle of Wight and the rest of us carry on as before ?
    Isle of Wight is one of the nicest part's of the UK, it would be highly sought after.
    We’re told sacrifices must be made to appease the Brexiteers - it seems a reasonable one.

It could easily support a few million inhabitants with a bit of effort, and they could have their Singapore on the Channel.

felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:
    Christ! That bad.
    OTOH Ed wasn’t running against Trump.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,759
    Pulpstar said:

Personally I for one am very grateful for the many Londoners that work long hours with expensive rents, overcrowded housing and roads (I 'visited' the M25 a few weeks back) and horrendous pollution all to provide plenty of tax receipts for the rest of the country.

It's bizarre that London has the highest level of GDP per head of any region, but the lowest level of home ownership.
  • Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Couldn’t we just give Little England the Isle of Wight and the rest of us carry on as before ?
    Isle of Wight is one of the nicest part's of the UK, it would be highly sought after.
    We’re told sacrifices must be made to appease the Brexiteers - it seems a reasonable one.

It could easily support a few million inhabitants with a bit of effort, and they could have their Singapore on the Channel.

Its going to be great
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Brom said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Clearly you've never lived there off-season. (I haven't but my father and aunt grew up there and they said it was a miserable dump during the winter.)
  • Nigelb said:

felix said:

Charles said:

felix said:
    Christ! That bad.
    OTOH Ed wasn’t running against Trump.
    Indeed, Ed was up against the only Tory to win a majority in the last 26 years.

Unlucky.
  • rpjs said:

Brom said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Clearly you've never lived there off-season. (I haven't but my father and aunt grew up there and they said it was a miserable dump during the winter.)
    That'll give them a new thing to moan about. They will probably blame it on the ferriners
  • Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

Ely is the obvious alternative. It has a nice cathedral (traditional hierarchy is important to the small minded), it is very small, and is right in the middle of a nice bit of inward looking fenland. Admittedly it is close to Remain voting Cambridge (danger: lots of "experts" live there), but that just might help to get that feeling of self-righteous injustice, chippy-ness and hatred of others that all nationalists thrive on.
    Yes because after Brexit our capital will definitely move from London, and it was in no way a jokey conversation. What a dope, and so easily wound up too!
    You might want to reread what you have written, though I think I understand what your brain cell was attempting to instruct you to type. London always was our capital you moron. Your ignorance merely confirms the stereotype Brexit supporter. Go on, tell me it was all about "sovereignty", then try and explain why
    Oh Dear Nigel, The joke just flew over your head. Sad seeing an old man so bitter about Brexit on the internet. By the way as a history graduate I should point out that London was not always our capital, you can trust me I'm an expert :)
    Oxford (in the civil war) and Winchester.

Where else capital of England other than London?
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    rpjs said:

Brom said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Spend a lot of time there over the Winter, fantastic pubs and walks, but I agree it relies upon seasonable jobs too much. Thankfully I go there to escape work not to apply for it.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    DavidL said:

From every beam of every ceiling in Glasgow’s SECC droops the same giant banner: ‘HOPE’, styled in Nationalist yellow and black.

From a distance, it looks like a motivational talk has got out of hand and staged a military coup.

Underneath, SNP members trudge in dismay from conference halls to party tat stalls. Their only hope is that a spontaneous debate on the constitution breaks out at some point, for the national question has been assiduously kept off the agenda. You can’t talk about independence in here. This is the SNP conference.

https://stephendaisley.com/2018/10/09/ian-blackford-belched-out-words-like-a-stubby-little-chimney/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"The longer Blackford gripped the podium, the more I wondered if the Nats had employed the same sign-maker as Theresa May did last year. A placard in front of him read ‘HOPE’. The letters ‘LESS’ had obviously fallen off."

Very good. Nicola is running out of time.
    Doubt it, look at how many knives went into Salmond's back on the rumours of an attempt to return to Bute House. Sturgeon and Murrell know where all the skeletons are, after all, they buried them...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    So, a DD coronation for a couple of year to sort out Canada +++ it is then.

And you thought it was just a fantasy......
  • The ERG are increasingly sounding worried. Seems they know they're screwed, and its May's Brexit, or no Brexit.

May way or the highway?

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Isn’t Canada+++ (what a dreadful name) GB only?
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes indeed, there are certainly arguments for Colchester and even further back Malmesbury (if you want a far-fetched argument about Wessex). Hard to believe poor old Nigel Foremain thought it had always been London. I of course look forward to the day parliament moves to the Midlands.
  • RobD said:

Yup. It doesn’t solve the Northern Ireland problems.

The DUP won’t go for it.
    Branson blasting off into space shortly he hopes.

https://www.rt.com/business/440729-branson-going-space-soon/
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, my fellow Myrmidons.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited October 2018
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes indeed, there are certainly arguments for Colchester and even further back Malmesbury (if you want a far-fetched argument about Wessex). Hard to believe poor old Nigel Foremain thought it had always been London. I of course look forward to the day parliament moves to the Midlands.
    Back to Tamworth, capital of Mercia. We're going to build a wall dyke and make the Welsh pay for it.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2018

RobD said:

The DUP won’t go for it.
    I think something will be fudged so that all parties can claim their red lines haven't been crossed, and Theresa May can claim it's a comprehensive deal like Chequers, and the ERG can claim it's not like Chequers at all, and the EU can claim it's not cherry-picking and doesn't threaten the integrity of the Single Market, whatever that means (no-one's ever explained why a trade deal should threaten the integrity of the Single Market, so that should be one of the easier fudges) .

The main obstacle to commonsense breaking out is the stupid back-stop, which is bizarre.

RobD said:

The DUP won’t go for it.
    No surrender to the ERG!
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789

RobD said:

The DUP won’t go for it.
    Detail. Managing the DUP will be the easiest negotiation in history. They want to sell us their [pause] - what does NI positively do?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

From every beam of every ceiling in Glasgow’s SECC droops the same giant banner: ‘HOPE’, styled in Nationalist yellow and black.

From a distance, it looks like a motivational talk has got out of hand and staged a military coup.

Underneath, SNP members trudge in dismay from conference halls to party tat stalls. Their only hope is that a spontaneous debate on the constitution breaks out at some point, for the national question has been assiduously kept off the agenda. You can’t talk about independence in here. This is the SNP conference.

https://stephendaisley.com/2018/10/09/ian-blackford-belched-out-words-like-a-stubby-little-chimney/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The Zionist pie eater
    Are you sure you aren't a Corbynite?
    I’m
    matt said:

RobD said:

The DUP won’t go for it.
    Detail. Managing the DUP will be the easiest negotiation in history. They want to sell us their [pause] - what does NI positively do?
    They currently sell us votes in the Commons. ;)
    matt said:

RobD said:

The DUP won’t go for it.
    Well, they provide confidence and supply for Theresa May. It might not be the most striking good or service in history, but it does give a good deal of leverage beyond their modest number of MPs.
    edited October 2018

RobD said:

The DUP won’t go for it.
    I think something will be fudged
    Seems the EU is (not) planning on that basis - Grauniad coverage of that BoE report DavidL posted earlier:

The Bank of England has issued its strongest warning yet to the EU that its lack of adequate planning for Brexit has created growing risks for almost £70tn of complex financial contracts.

Threadneedle Street said the bloc had made only limited progress to protect the financial system and time was running out, with little more than six months before the UK is due to leave the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/oct/09/bank-of-england-warns-eu-brexit-risk-financial-stability-derivatives
  • matt said:

RobD said:

The DUP won’t go for it.
    The most positive thing Northern Ireland has ever done for Great Britain is to help launch the regeneration of Manchester thanks to the 1996 bombing.

I owe my very well paid job all thanks to the likes of Martin McGuinness.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Pulpstar said:

Barely space. It's not going that high - only 264,000 ft or 80km. That's not even at the Kaman line.

SS2 is so disappointing. It's a decade late, killed four people, and only gets you to the lowest definition of 'space'.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Hmm, I've not been following too closely, but I thought she'd turned into a big Trump cheerleader.
  • The bellends that worked at DExEU are out in force today.

Senior government figures could be trying to engineer the softest possible form of Brexit to allow Britain to rejoin the EU, an MP and former minister has claimed.

Steve Baker, who quit the Brexit department in July, suggested "powerful forces" were seeking to keep the country in arrangements similar to the single market and customs union.

https://news.sky.com/story/government-figures-could-be-preparing-for-uk-to-rejoin-eu-former-brexit-minister-11521603
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Nicola about to ice-skate onto stage.

Pulpstar said:

Barely space. It's not going that high - only 264,000 ft or 80km. That's not even at the Kaman line.

SS2 is so disappointing. It's a decade late, killed four people, and only gets you to the lowest definition of 'space'.
    Trust me, I realise how utterly 'dead end' Branson's efforts are with regard to future space dvelopments - didn't realise he wasn't going to go above the Karman line though.
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Trust me, I realise how utterly 'dead end' Branson's efforts are with regard to future space dvelopments - didn't realise he wasn't going to go above the Karman line though.
    Could he get to Australia double quick though?
  • I think I have some bets somewhere on Nikki Haley being the nominee in 2020 or even winning in 2020.
  • I was on @ 20/1 to be Rep candidate, I don't know if that will be good or bad

I was on @ 20/1 to be Rep candidate, I don't know if that will be good or bad
    I think she's very impressive, which, given the state of US politics, means she's doomed to failure. Not rabid enough for the GOP base.

The bellends that worked at DExEU are out in force today.

Senior government figures could be trying to engineer the softest possible form of Brexit to allow Britain to rejoin the EU, an MP and former minister has claimed.

Steve Baker, who quit the Brexit department in July, suggested "powerful forces" were seeking to keep the country in arrangements similar to the single market and customs union.

https://news.sky.com/story/government-figures-could-be-preparing-for-uk-to-rejoin-eu-former-brexit-minister-11521603

The deep state gets everywhere don't it.
  • John_M said:

If the Deep State was that good Remain would have won a landslide.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2018
    On thread. Unless the Tory pzrty commits harakiri Mrs May should still be there. The poosible alternatives are much worse.
    Hopefully a promotion for John Bolton is coming shortly.

John_M said:

Joking aside, there's an unhealthy streak of paranoia running through both Left and Right - 'shadowy forces', 'the deep state', 'international jewry' and so forth.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited October 2018

The Zionist pie eater
    Are you sure you aren't a Corbynite?
    If use of the term Zionist is the qualification, Daisley is also a Corbynite.

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/author/stephen-daisley/

About Me

Stephen Daisley is a UK-based freelance writer and journalist who has contributed to a wide range of publications, including Commentary, Standpoint, and The Commentator, and writes a blog called The Eclectic Partisan. He has an MSc in Political Communication and an interest in Israel, politics, and antisemitism. He is a Catholic, a Zionist, and writes from a center-right perspective.
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Joking aside, there's an unhealthy streak of paranoia running through both Left and Right - 'shadowy forces', 'the deep state', 'international jewry' and so forth.
    Having watched some of the Kavanaugh process in the senate, 'Dark money' is another one for your bingo card
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Lets hope his capsule is on a non return trajectory.
  • John_M said:

John_M said:

Is George Soros that I feel sorry for.

John_M said:

John_M said:

I'm sure that being a multi-billionaire has its consolations.
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Thank god no one has cottoned on to the grand PB Tory conspiracy...... oh, bugger.
    Wonder what price @Shadsy is willing to give on Kanye's appointment to the UN.
    Pulpstar said:

Wonder what price @Shadsy is willing to give on Kanye's appointment to the UN.

Or Roy Moore?
    Mr. Pulpstar, you mean Ye, the artist formerly known as Kanye.
    Maybe Ivanka will be appointed?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Wow. Nikki Haley.

Will she run?

I'm on at 26 from some time ago.
  • Pulpstar said:

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

If Trump has learnt anything during the Kavanaugh process, it't that there is little political downside in picking a nominee that fires up the base and p*sses off the left at the same time. He'll be keen to not let the 'Kavanaugh bounce' die, so picking someone like Bolton (a man already rejected by the senate for the same position during the Bush years) would certainly do that.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

John_M said:

John_M said:

Why ?

Pulpstar said:

If Trump has learnt anything during the Kavanaugh process, it't that there is little political downside in picking a nominee that fires up the base and p*sses off the left at the same time. He'll be keen to not let the 'Kavanaugh bounce' die, so picking someone like Bolton (a man already rejected by the senate for the same position during the Bush years) would certainly do that.
    Wouldn’t National Security Advisor -> UN Ambassador be a demotion?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Pulpstar said:

I would have thought so.

Pulpstar said:

Is it ? I have little idea of the relative merits of US diplomatic/official posts sorry :). Bolton has been there before, so I doubt it'll be him in reality. Now Kanye...
    Put a little on Haley to be the red nominee in 2020, at 23.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

John_M said:

John_M said:

Running so many similtaneous different conspiracies must be exhausting. Perhaps he needs a support organisation: Soros Pro European Conspiracy Training Resource Executive or SPECTRE for short.

John_M said:

John_M said:

Why ?
    Presumably because he is the bogeyman of a million right wing conspiracy theorists ?
    Including Trump.

Pulpstar said:

Bolton wouldn’t accept it (demotion or otherwise). He has far more influence in his current position, and is an accomplished enough bureaucrat to ensure the offer is never made.

Someone like Bolton, possibly.
    John_M said:

John_M said:

"Institutional inertia" doesn't sound as sexy, and doesn't provide an excuse for inadequate leadership.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

John_M said:

John_M said:

"Institutional inertia" doesn't sound as sexy, and doesn't provide an excuse for inadequate leadership.
    Could make for a depressing Dr Who episode, a villain like Institutional Inertia.
    "A person with the ability to adapt his morality and conscience in such a way he can unreservedly accept the dogma that the Party is never wrong" (quote from a Communist veteran in Stalin: the Court of the Red Tsar).

No wonder Corbyn likes marching with Stalin banners so much.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited October 2018

John_M said:

John_M said:

Why ?
    He’s a holocaust survivor and Trump supporters and a few prominent Leave/Anti-EU supporters repeat a modern day blood libel against Soros.

Is positively Corbynite.

Great video:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=POiqY4FIfMY

Was the punch at the end really necessary?
    edited October 2018

Pulpstar said:

In any event, Republicans will be running on the Kavanaugh thing all the way to November.

Today’s effort from McConnell - senators ‘literally under assault’:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/09/mcconnell-kavanaugh-assault-881856
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited October 2018
    There may be some comfort eating going on in Daisley Towers this evening.

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1049678640169046017

What else is she going to talk about? ;)
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1049681330588606465

Is the momentum building up against Chris Williamson?
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    55,000 at Beto rally - largest campaign rally this year by far (including Trump's)
    http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/can-democrats-take-the-senate-after-kavanaugh-vote-1339737667578?v=railb&
    Dr. Spyn, Rohm didn't fall in a day.
    RobD said:

What else is she going to talk about? ;)
    One trick pony.....
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

"A person with the ability to adapt his morality and conscience in such a way he can unreservedly accept the dogma that the Party is never wrong" (quote from a Communist veteran in Stalin: the Court of the Red Tsar).

Yes, just what Kavanaugh brings to mind.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    RobD said:

The +++ is for the amount of fudge required to make up Schrodingers Border, that keeps both the EU and the DUP happy.....

When May won't utter the word 'Chequers' why should Mordaunt?
  • Even Wales labour do not trust Corbyn

The Welsh Government have awarded a 15 year passenger rail franchise for Wales and the borders to KeolisAmey, to operate on behalf of the Welsh Government, with effect from the 14th October.
    Dr. Foxy, that wasn't an edifying spectacle. I don't believe throwing away the principle of innocent until proven guilty is correct. No idea if this is possible, but it would've been better to hold a proper and full investigation, taking things as far as the evidence, or lack thereof, determined.

Worth remembering Trump's a symptom of a pre-existing divide. Had Clinton narrowly won, the divide would still exist, but it would've continued to be underreported and underappreciated because the victors would've had the handle of the media, (as we would've seen had Remain won).
  • NEW THREAD

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

Many Pies will be munched for sure.
This discussion has been closed.