Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters make it a 54% chance that TMay will go next year with

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited October 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters make it a 54% chance that TMay will go next year with Sajid Javid the 14% favourite to replace her

Charts from the excellent Batdata.io site which monitors the main political markets on the Betfair exchange updating its charts2 4/7.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    All alone in this lonely thread :(
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Only been open for one minute but you've beaten TSE for first
  • Options

It is a knack I have :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    I was amazed only 54% think she will last beyond next year, but I see 11% think this year, which makes it more reasonable.
  • Options
    What's remarkable is how stable 2022 or later has been.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well i hope T May tells them to fuck right off. The DUP cannot be allowed to influence the process
    Last time I looked, the DUP democratically represents one of the four component countries of the United Kingdom. They represent their loyalist voters in Westminster. (That Sinn Fein chooses not to take their seats is for them to consider. But for now, the only voice of Northern Ireland in Westminster is the DUP, whose members voted overwhelmingly to Brexit.) As democratically elected representatives, they have every right - probably more so - to "influence the process" than the arch-Remainers of Soubry and Clarke and Grieve and Wollaston, who were elected as Conservative MPs under a Manifesto that pledged to Brexit whilst exiting the CU.

Theresa May gave the DUP their power by calling a wholly unnecesary General Election. The DUP are happily playing the hand dealt them. If our Government took some lessons and played with the same steely determination in their dealings with Brussels, we might have got somewhere sooner. Indeed, Cameron might not have lost the Referendum in the first place.

Some of the attitudes expressed about the Northern Irish on this site in recent days have shown up a number of the posters on this site in a very poor light.
    IS it 11? DUP votes that could screw the whole process? I'd rather T May called A GE .
    What are the DUP screwing? All the DUP are asking for is to be treated the same as everyone else in the UK. That's entirely reasonable!

The only variances in laws between GB and NI should be due to devolution and because NI have asked for a change, not because voters outside of NI have demanded one.
    But same does not apply for Scotland , so explain that one. Parliament voted for second referendum but were crapped on by Tories.
    PS what is this GB, it is UK
    GB is rUK excluding NI.
    GB appears nowhere, it is United Kingdom and NI
    Err...Since when?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Well i hope T May tells them to fuck right off. The DUP cannot be allowed to influence the process
    While I don’t hold with groups holding the whole of the country to ransome in this case it looks like they are being asked to accept rules over which they will have no say....which does seem a bit rum...
    Same as Scotland, which is even more rum
    The sooner the LOL bring down the Tories the better.
    If not for Scotland would the Tories not be in power right now?
    Idiots for sure, ably assisted by their dopey partners Scottish Labour regional office who gave them their votes. Bigger idiots you could not find.
    Be interesting to see what happens if we get an early GE again. I know the polls don't show that much movement, but given the circumstances that would provoke an early GE, Scotland would prove interesting.
  • Options

I guess because if she can make it past next year, she is pretty well set.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The fact she's made it through this year should have increased the odds of getting through next year but it doesn't seem to have done so though. All the this year odds seem to have transferred to next year without any shifting onto later.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The fact she's made it through this year should have increased the odds of getting through next year but it doesn't seem to have done so though. All the this year odds seem to have transferred to next year without any shifting onto later.
    Because next year is crunch point, the actual start date, be in land of milk of honey or calamity.
  • Options
    Is Charles dropping by this evening? I have been keeping an eye on the news for the promised bloodbath / resignations / constitutional crisis*

* Delete as appropriate
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Because next year is crunch point, the actual start date, be in land of milk of honey or calamity.
    Indeed but this year had crunch points too. She's survived this year (so far) but has not improved her odds of getting through this year. She should have.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

Shall I save him the effort and call for a judge-led inquiry?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    May has shown a remarkable capacity for kicking the can *just far enough* down the road to fight another day.

I think that by this time next week, that will no longer be possible.

May has to stop kicking the can, and start kicking. Because otherwise events will overtake her and she'll be in the front seat of a runaway Brexit with nobody willing or able to help her.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302

Is Charles dropping by this evening? I have been keeping an eye on the news for the promised bloodbath / resignations / constitutional crisis*

* Delete as appropriate

Maybe he got confused and was actually talking about Mr and Mrs Babcock’s planned trip to IKEA.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

* Delete as appropriate

Not even I am mad enough to predict that Tory cabinet ministers might actually stand on principle. They will all back May. All they care about is positioning for the leadership.
  • Options

* Delete as appropriate

Not even I am mad enough to predict that Tory cabinet ministers might actually stand on principle. They will all back May. All they care about is positioning for the leadership.
    Positioning for the leadership does not, even at this stage, rule out resigning, as we have seen previously.
  • Options

* Delete as appropriate

What is he difference between a politician and a jellyfish?

One is a creature with a nasty sting and no backbone.

The other is a marine creature.

(With apologies to Nick Palmer!)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

* Delete as appropriate

Reminds me of this joke.

What's the difference between a Non Executive Director and a supermarket trolley?

The trolley has a mind of its own.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    Hey @archer101au @Big_G_NorthWales @HYUFD and others (even Spitfire) great discussion on previous thread.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Might seem a daft question but can anyone tell me:

If the Govt hasn't itself even decided what type of Brexit we want, what is currerntly being negotiated with the EU?

eg IF the Govt suddenly went for a Norway model, would they just say "Forget all discussions up to now, how about this?"
  • Options
    Great to see JRM chances sliding away.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

* Delete as appropriate

Reminds me of this joke.

What's the difference between a Non Executive Director and a supermarket trolley?

The trolley has a mind of its own.
    What has four legs and forty teeth?

A crocodile.

What has forty legs and four teeth?

The Politburo. (Maybe these days the Shadow Cabinet, but I dunno, Corbyn's dentures look pretty good to me.)
  • Options
    I'm trying to work out if there's a single person, *anywhere*, May could credibly claim to have convinced that Chequers is a good idea.

I wonder.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Great to see JRM chances sliding away.

Come, come Mr Eagles, that's a ludicrous statement. It implied Mogg had a chance.

Why, that would have been the equivalent of an elderly Marxist supporter of terrorism and racism with no intellect and no experience of work being elected leader of the Labour par...ah.

Yes, you're right. It is good to see!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    I think Raab is value there
  • Options
    MikeL said:

If the Govt hasn't itself even decided what type of Brexit we want, what is currerntly being negotiated with the EU?

eg IF the Govt suddenly went for a Norway model, would they just say "Forget all discussions up to now, how about this?"

A withdrawal agreement. In order for the EU to even *begin* to negotiate a trade deal with the UK, the EU demanded a withdrawal agreement that settled the following things

1) The status of northern ireland and the border with the Republic
    2) The status of EU nationals living in the UK and vice versa, as well as the jurisdiction of the ECJ to protect their rights.
    3) The financial contribution for all EU agencies the UK has either committed to or intends to remain a member of.
    4) A temporary trading and customs relationship that doesn't give UK companies an unfair advantage during the negotiation of a full deal.

Charitably, it could be argued that the government has sorted (3) and fudged (2).

(1) is nowhere close to resolved and (4) is probably impossible to get through Parliament
  • Options
    kle4 said:

* Delete as appropriate

Positioning for the leadership does not, even at this stage, rule out resigning, as we have seen previously.
    As I said before, if Raab resigned over the backstop, he would be PM by Christmas. But politicians are hugely risk averse and the thought of being left out in the cold is too much for most of them. Principle rarely comes into it; DD was an exception.
  • Options
    This is an interesting story, but it has worrying aspects:

Same-sex mice have babies
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45801043

The worrying part being the reporter felt the need to make this point:

'Mammals, including us, can make babies only through sexual reproduction.'

You would have thought even someone as thick as a Republican voter would have grasped that bit (among others)!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Quite right. Nothing. As I said on the previous thread, May is negotiating No Deal.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Hey @archer101au @Big_G_NorthWales @HYUFD and others (even Spitfire) great discussion on previous thread.

We aim to entertain!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    MikeL said:

No idea, and yes.

The only comfort we have is that every single politician involved won't get a paper-round job in the future should Brexit fail.

May. Bet May. Vote May. Simples!
  • Options
    edited October 2018

kle4 said:

* Delete as appropriate

As I said before, if Raab resigned over the backstop, he would be PM by Christmas. But politicians are hugely risk averse and the thought of being left out in the cold is too much for most of them. Principle rarely comes into it; DD was an exception.
    May is, as she has done throughout this process, continually misunderestimating her opponents.

Right now she's working on the assumption the DUP aren't prepared bring down her government if she agrees to the backstop.

She is almost certainly hilariously mistaken.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I suppose it was between a hard brexiteer, a softer brexiteer and a practical conservative

Hope that sums it up
  • Options

kle4 said:

* Delete as appropriate

May is, as she has done throughout this process, continually misunderestimating her opponents.

Right now she's working on the assumption the DUP aren't prepared bring down her government if she agrees to the backstop.

No chance. The DUP won't exist if they get this wrong. Irish politics rule the roost with regards to Brexit. I have all sorts of fond thoughts as to Ireland generally. I don't have a good word to say about the Irish as regards to Brexit. North and South I think you have acted, and continue to act, way below the slightest standard.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I suppose it was between a hard brexiteer, a softer brexiteer and a practical conservative

Hope that sums it up
    I prefer the term 'headbanger' :)
  • Options

I'm trying to work out if there's a single person, *anywhere*, May could credibly claim to have convinced that Chequers is a good idea.

I wonder.

Michael Gove?
  • Options

kle4 said:

* Delete as appropriate

She might think they are prepared to bring down her government if she agrees to the backstop, but thinks it is the only Brexit option that is now viable regardless.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    kle4 said:

I wonder.

Michael Gove?
    No, that doesn't help. If he'd been against it along with other lowlifes Barnier, Juncker, Selmayr, Boris, Davis, Corbyn, Cable, Foster, that would have conclusively proved Chequers was a brilliant idea.

As it is, the fact he supports it shows even a failed two-bit wannabe dictator who is mostly roaring drunk can be right at times.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I wonder.

Michael Gove?
    No, that doesn't help. If he'd been against it along with other lowlifes Barnier, Juncker, Selmayr, Boris, Davis, Corbyn, Cable, Foster, that would have conclusively proved Chequers was a brilliant idea.

As it is, the fact he supports it shows even a failed two-bit wannabe dictator who is mostly roaring drunk can be right at times.
    Anyone can be right at times.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I wonder.

Michael Gove?

Gove supports Chequers because he thinks all the other options ultimately mean no Brexit or the UK rejoining in a few years because of the awfulness of no deal.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I wonder.

Michael Gove?

Proving Juncker right is a near-extraordinary feat.

Proving Barnier right is scarcely less impressive.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,603

I wonder.

Herself.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I wonder.

Michael Gove?

I think you miss the idea. There are no wise men. No-one is right all the time. There are no unwise men too, no-one is daft all the time.

Juncker and Barnier? Average.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    MikeL said:

The future relationship hasn't been discussed because of the EU's sequencing. The focus has entirely been on the withdrawal agreement and the backstop.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Hope that sums it up
    You said it

And for the avoidance of doubt I am and always will be a practical conservative
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,603
    ydoethur said:

Shall I save him the effort and call for a judge-led inquiry?
    Sounds like a case for Kavanaugh, in his outraged mode.

• Options
    Tom Newton Dunn 20 minutes ago

A lot of conflicting reports around tonight, but I am still told by a senior Govt source that any deal with the EU is “still some way off”. The UK’s demand for a time limit on the customs union backstop is the major sticking point.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Maybe it's possible that the climate will change in this way: TM is stoically getting on with an almost impossible task and some sort of agreement on a WA is at least thinkable. She is being bullied on every possible side by groups, some of then startlingly nasty, who are all correct in their own eyes, but who could never command consent of a majority and are in complete disagreement with each other; in most cases the others don't have to articulate a rational and coherent plan which could survive a moment's proper scrutiny (Labour, Boris, DUP, People's Vote....). In the absence of a plausible candidate maybe 2019 is a bit early for her departure. Maybe we should wait and see.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Nigelb said:

I wonder.

Herself.
    Yes but she also convinced herself she's strong and stable and I'm not sure there's a queue of others willing to back that one up.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I wonder.

Michael Gove?

I think you miss the idea. There are no wise men. No-one is right all the time. There are no unwise men too, no-one is daft all the time.

Juncker and Barnier? Average.
    You're feeling generous.

Juncker really is a scummy two-bit nobody who would be out of his depth running a sub post office. That requires a level of ability, integrity and sobriety he altogether lacks.

As for Barnier, he is a former French Minister of Agriculture. Nuff said.

They've gravely damaged the EU, possibly beyond repair, but they have neither the courage or honesty to admit it. And for that they will not be soon forgiven whatever their fawning acolytes at the Commission and the European Parliament say at present.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

* Delete as appropriate

It depended on what May proposed in Cabinet - I’ve not seen any leaks (haven’t had time to look)

The trigger for the bloodbath was a permanent CU.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Tom Newton Dunn 20 minutes ago

A lot of conflicting reports around tonight, but I am still told by a senior Govt source that any deal with the EU is “still some way off”. The UK’s demand for a time limit on the customs union backstop is the major sticking point.

So the EU have been asked to compromise on the time limit, and they’re struggling.

Not negotiating in good faith, springs to mind.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Maybe it's possible that the climate will change in this way: TM is stoically getting on with an almost impossible task and some sort of agreement on a WA is at least thinkable. She is being bullied on every possible side by groups, some of then startlingly nasty, who are all correct in their own eyes, but who could never command consent of a majority and are in complete disagreement with each other; in most cases the others don't have to articulate a rational and coherent plan which could survive a moment's proper scrutiny (Labour, Boris, DUP, People's Vote....). In the absence of a plausible candidate maybe 2019 is a bit early for her departure. Maybe we should wait and see.

TM can run down the clock putting the EU in panic mode and then in the new year, when everything is kicking off, move to accepting a Norway deal

Just another theory
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

The problem I have with that is I can just about see, given time, that the public perception of May can go in that way and this there is not a groundswell view that she should go soon...but I cannot see how she lasts long enough given at some point all the groups against her will be able to come together to defeat whatever she has come up with in the Commons, since she simply does not have the MP support necessary. The kicking of cans is coming to an end, and whether a deal is done or not I just cannot see how she lasts past next year.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

TM can run down the clock putting the EU in panic mode and then in the new year, when everything is kicking off, move to accepting a Norway deal

Just another theory
    The EU won't panic, they seem very confident we will give in, not without reason.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

the 2 people I was talking to about this yesterday quite liked him.

But then 1 really liked BJ.

The other though got BJ was ok - “he has bad judgement and no discipline but if you tell him not to do something he won’t do it. The problem is that he’s very good it find ways to get into trouble that no one has thought to tell him not to. It’s a bit like wrangling a toddler”

That’s one hell of an endorsement!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Hope that sums it up
    You said it

I was talking about you ;)
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

the 2 people I was talking to about this yesterday quite liked him.

But then 1 really liked BJ.

The other though got BJ was ok - “he has bad judgement and no discipline but if you tell him not to do something he won’t do it. The problem is that he’s very good it find ways to get into trouble that no one has thought to tell him not to. It’s a bit like wrangling a toddler”

That’s one hell of an endorsement!
    Well who doesn't like a BJ.

Fnarr Fnarr.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I'm going to start really worrying about the Brexit can kicking when Philip Hammond announces during the Budget about the three new months being slotted in between January and March for "tax reasons".
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

The future relationship hasn't been discussed because of the EU's sequencing. The focus has entirely been on the withdrawal agreement and the backstop.
    And Ivan Rogers has been proven right in his warnings from 2 years ago. These discussions will take a long time. 2 years later even the WA is not agreed in detail, and trade talks are in embryo.

Does anyone think that they will be finished by the end of the WA period in a further 2 years?

Those bored of Brexit are going to be more bored than Fox jr at the St Petersburg Artillery Museum...can you believe that he couldn't summon any enthusiasm for a discussion of the merits of the SU100?

• Options
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

The problem I have with that is I can just about see, given time, that the public perception of May can go in that way and this there is not a groundswell view that she should go soon...but I cannot see how she lasts long enough given at some point all the groups against her will be able to come together to defeat whatever she has come up with in the Commons, since she simply does not have the MP support necessary. The kicking of cans is coming to an end, and whether a deal is done or not I just cannot see how she lasts past next year.
    I have suggested previously that In May/ June 2019, following Brexit, she will offer to continue as caretaker pm while the party goes through a proper leadership election, including to the members and concludes for the return of Parliament in September
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

And Ivan Rogers has been proven right in his warnings from 2 years ago. These discussions will take a long time. 2 years later even the WA is not agreed in detail, and trade talks are in embryo.

Does anyone think that they will be finished by the end of the WA period in a further 2 years?

Those bored of Brexit are going to be more bored than Fox jr at the St Petersburg Artillery Museum...can you believe that he couldn't summon any enthusiasm for a discussion of the merits of the SU100?

The future trading agreement should be straightforward since we are in perfect alignment with EU rules, it's a shame politics has to get in the way ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

* Delete as appropriate

No chance. The DUP won't exist if they get this wrong. Irish politics rule the roost with regards to Brexit. I have all sorts of fond thoughts as to Ireland generally. I don't have a good word to say about the Irish as regards to Brexit. North and South I think you have acted, and continue to act, way below the slightest standard.
    I think the DUP would be very happy with the UK in a Customs Unions with the EU. What they don't want is Northern Ireland cut off from Great Britain.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Just another theory
    The EU won't panic, they seem very confident we will give in, not without reason.
    They wont but EU Countries with ports, especially Ireland, will be in a blind panic if we are closing in on March 19 with no deal
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So I see that story about a student union banning clapping turned out to be a lie then. Shock.

https://twitter.com/hannahchrstina/status/1050330286997819392?s=19

Culture war is cancelled.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Hope that sums it up
    You said it

I was talking about you ;)
    I can confidently say that on here and elsewhere you would be on your own on that comment
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

The future trading agreement should be straightforward since we are in perfect alignment with EU rules, it's a shame politics has to get in the way ;)
    It is only straightforward if we are bound to remain in alignment!

If we can deviate from those rules (surely the point of Brexit?) then it ceases to be straightforward at all.

In the immortal words of Sartre: "In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team"

• Options
    Revealed: Princess Eugenie and her fiancé Jack Brooksbank are both related to... the same slave-trading conman

Slave-trafficker Edward Lascelles made a fortune buying and selling Africans

He locked them up for months on so-called factory ships on which many died

Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank are distantly related to the 18th-century character

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6258387/Princess-Eugenie-fianc-Jack-Brooksbank-related-slave-trading-conman.html

Abolition the monarchy now.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Alistair said:

So I see that story about a student union banning clapping turned out to be a lie then. Shock.

The outrage machine has long moved on, corrections are too little too late.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Can we do jazz hands to celebrate?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

If we can deviate from those rules (surely the point of Brexit?) then it ceases to be straightforward at all.

In the immortal words of Sartre: "In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team"

But the whole point of the FTA will be to stay in alignment in some areas. That usually takes time with other countries (such as Canada), because the alignment actually has to occur.
  • Options
    Monday's cabinet will be very interesting
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It's back on again: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/10/11/student-union-seeks-ban-students-dressing-tories-fancy-dress/

:D
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

But the whole point of the FTA will be to stay in alignment in some areas. That usually takes time with other countries (such as Canada), because the alignment actually has to occur.
    "some" being a small word with a Tardis like interior. As soon as "some" non alignment is permitted, a world of complexity is born.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

"some" being a small word with a Tardis like interior. As soon as "some" non alignment is permitted, a world of complexity is born.
    You have to wonder how on earth Canada managed to negotiate a deal when they only aligned in some areas.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

It's back on again: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/10/11/student-union-seeks-ban-students-dressing-tories-fancy-dress/

Actually, those do by and large seem quite sensible rules.
  • Options
    We all know the true dividing line in the culture wars.

The forces of light and goodness who despise pineapple on pizza and the degenerates who like it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

You have to wonder how on earth Canada managed to negotiate a deal when they only aligned in some areas.
    It took 7 years, and is much less than what we have at the moment.

Do you think a team that has actually been in reverse for 10 months can get it sorted in 18 months post Brexit?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Can we do jazz hands to celebrate?
    I think it's jizz hands that needed to be worried about when it came to the various fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists excited by that story.
  • Options

The forces of light and goodness who despise pineapple on pizza and the degenerates who like it.

It will all be currywurst in the future. For you, ze pineapple war is over.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,998
    edited October 2018

Surely it's the degenerates who throw away vast sums on evil Apple products, and the forces of light and goodness who spend wisely on other, superior products? ;)
  • Options

Pizza is an abomination onto Nuggan
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

It is only complicated if either side rules out the option of looking again at the arrangement should they feel some time in the future that divergence has taken place to an unacceptable extent. In the meantime there should be nothing to stop the EU and UK to continue as we are on day one. Instead the idiotic requirement is that there should be a binding agreement to continue as now for evermore, or nothing. As such, the EU is putting a far higher bar in place for an agreement on trading relations with the UK than it seeks for arrangements with other states and blocs. Its motive for doing so seems to have no grounding in economic necessity, and is instead driven by political motives to try and punish the UK for its temerity.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Do you think a team that has actually been in reverse for 10 months can get it sorted in 18 months post Brexit?
    Canada was starting from a point where it and the EU had completely different standards, and the time taken was in working out how to bring them closer together. By contrast, standards between the EU and UK are already completely aligned. There should for the moment to be next to nothing to sort out.
  • Options

Well who doesn't like a BJ.

Fnarr Fnarr.

I don't.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

Methinks you have bigger problems to worry about Rob
  • Options
    Charles said:

* Delete as appropriate

It depended on what May proposed in Cabinet - I’ve not seen any leaks (haven’t had time to look)

Given the lack of blood, do not look too hard. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

If you say so.

(Complete fucking idiots to a man (or woman) is nearer the mark in my view.)
  • Options

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

It is only complicated if either side rules out the option of looking again at the arrangement should they feel some time in the future that divergence has taken place to an unacceptable extent. In the meantime there should be nothing to stop the EU and UK to continue as we are on day one. Instead the idiotic requirement is that there should be a binding agreement to continue as now for evermore, or nothing. As such, the EU is putting a far higher bar in place for an agreement on trading relations with the UK than it seeks for arrangements with other states and blocs. Its motive for doing so seems to have no grounding in economic necessity, and is instead driven by political motives to try and punish the UK for its temerity.
    No, it is a simple choice. Full and binding alignment with the single Market, or a Canada style FTA negotiated by the same muppets currently languidly negotiating. Bear in mind that the UK and EU27 each have different pluses in mind. Canada or Norway has always been the choice, but a choice that May has dithered over for 2 years.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Methinks you have bigger problems to worry about Rob
    Do I? That sounds ominous.
  • Options

Charles said:

* Delete as appropriate

Given the lack of blood, do not look too hard. :D:D:D
    Although LauraK now tweeting that Downing Street on resignation watch..,
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

I wonder why? Perhaps it is because they weren't in alignment when they started.
  • Options
    In the real world I am beginning to suspect that events are about to overtake domestic politics. I Was visiting a large manufacturer in the midlands today. They are a core part of UK industry with £20m turnover. Like much of industry they are owned by offshore private equity. They are struggling to be allowed to invest despite a massive order book and premium products. Staff retention is low and employees age is high. How will Brexit help solve the real world issues this plant faces and the real risk of it being closed.

Much of our wealth in this country is in the hands of people who don’t care about Brexit. We want control of our country but we have mortgaged much of it to pawnbrokers.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

No, it is a simple choice. Full and binding alignment with the single Market, or a Canada style FTA negotiated by the same muppets currently languidly negotiating. Bear in mind that the UK and EU27 each have different pluses in mind. Canada or Norway has always been the choice, but a choice that May has dithered over for 2 years.
    Don't forget sequencing prevents any negotiation on the future trading relationship.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

If you say so.

(Complete fucking idiots to a man (or woman) is nearer the mark in my view.)
    How genderist of you!! Not everyone applies the outdated, discriminatory, medieval, hideous words “man” or “woman” to themselves.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

I wonder why? Perhaps it is because they weren't in alignment when they started.
    I am sure that a deal could be quick if we agreed to follow all present and future SM rules, and that the European Courts could adjudicate disputes.

It is when the question of increasing divergence comes in that it becomes complex.

If we are planning to just shadow every EU rule and regulation for evermore, what is the point of Brexit?
  • Options
    Not sure what there is to ponder - for one there's clearly no guarantee it will be the final compromise, for two it isn't a compromise at all, so it's time to see if they are willing to suck it up and give up, or if they will accept the negative consequences of no deal.
This discussion has been closed.