Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The danger of making resignation threats is this that you look

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited October 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The danger of making resignation threats is this that you look silly if you don’t follow through

Exclusive: Theresa May given the weekend to change her backstop plan or face losing Andrea Leadsom, Esther McVey and Peddy Mordaunt from Cabinet

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    I quit!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Anazina said:

I quit!

Then I claim your first.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Another Douglas :(
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    It's not the sharpest knives in the drawer we're talking about here. After all, they are all Brexiteers.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

I quit!

Then I claim your first.
    Posting ‘first’ is bad enough, claiming in first when you are in fact first loser is beyond the pale.

You must resign.
  • Options
    RobD said:

After recalculation, following @Anazina's resignation, you've been upgraded to a Desmond.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

I quit!

Then I claim your first.
    Posting ‘first’ is bad enough, claiming in first when you are in fact first loser is beyond the pale.

You must resign.
    :)
  • Options
    Under AV I’m first.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

It's not the sharpest knives in the drawer we're talking about here. After all, they are all Brexiteers.

Beaten by a bus, comes to mind...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,189
    May's deal in its Chequers form was seriously unpalatable. It looks like the final version is going to be even worse. I can understand why the sidelined leavers in the cabinet are unhappy. Who could have believed that things could have been handled as ineptly as they have been in the last 18 months (well, apart from anyone paying any attention)?

Unhappy though I am I just don't see an alternative to going through with this. Bringing May down now throws the whole process into complete chaos and would damage the country. Like Labour back benches, Tory leavers have learned the harsh lesson that failing to act is also a decision with consequences.

Given where we are I think we have no choice but to swallow her shit. What we need to do is ensure, so far as possible, that her pathetic efforts will not be binding on future governments so we can sort this out once she has gone.
  • Options
    On topic they are all fart and no follow through as we say in Yorkshire.

I see only sunlit uplands if they go.

Might be a different kettle of monkeys if Gove quits even if he is a serial backstabber.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,906
    edited October 2018
    FPT:
    PClipp said:

Sub-contract them to negotiate with Brussels.....
    Perhaps the DUP are united in knowing what they want, and what they do not want. The Conservative Party, on the other hand, is deeply fragmented, and doesn`t have a clue or a single voice. This makes the Conservative Party quite incapable of doing anything. We shouldn`t blame Mrs May for this. It is the fault of previous Conservative leaders who refused to lance the boil.
    Tory discipline is quite pathetic at the moment. Even the GOP managed to sort themselves out into a reasonably united front in the end over the controversial Kavanaugh stuff.
    Both the ERG and the remainers (Leadsom, Mcvey and Mordaunt being the latest prima donnas) can't help themselves when it comes to grandstanding whataboutery right now when they should be getting behind May.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,358
    edited October 2018
    I’ve already written both threads for Sunday so I’d appreciate a quiet weekend on the political front.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960
    Mortimer said:

Chris_A said:

LOL. Just delete the second sentence!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    "The danger of making resignation threats is this that you look silly if you don’t follow through"

This bunch do not need to make threats in order to look silly. Interviews are enough....
  • Options

I’ve already written both threads for Sunday so I’d appreciate a quiet weekend on the political front.

Be like May and ignore all around you.
  • Options
    May could end up with only Ken Clarke, Anna Soubry, Sarah Woolaston, Nicky Morgan and Dominic Grieve available to fill Cabinet positions.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Chris_A said:

Not the bus, it was the lie, and many others besides, with a large dose of nasty old xenophobia and nationalism. No one was "beaten by a bus".
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Chris_A said:

Yup all those idiots and remind us how thick you need to be to LOSE a referendum?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797
    edited October 2018
    Why the hell didn't the DUP take control of the negotiations as part of their agreement to prop up loser Theresa?

https://twitter.com/paulbranditv/status/1050753290756116480?s=21
  • Options
    Bring back control.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

After recalculation, following @Anazina's resignation, you've been upgraded to a Desmond.
    He’s now a Geoff, following your resignation with immediate effect.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

May's deal in its Chequers form was seriously unpalatable. It looks like the final version is going to be even worse. I can understand why the sidelined leavers in the cabinet are unhappy. Who could have believed that things could have been handled as ineptly as they have been in the last 18 months (well, apart from anyone paying any attention)?

Unhappy though I am I just don't see an alternative to going through with this. Bringing May down now throws the whole process into complete chaos and would damage the country. Like Labour back benches, Tory leavers have learned the harsh lesson that failing to act is also a decision with consequences.

Given where we are I think we have no choice but to swallow her shit. What we need to do is ensure, so far as possible, that her pathetic efforts will not be binding on future governments so we can sort this out once she has gone.

Very easy to criticize May in this way and of course mistakes have been made. But who could have seriously achieved much more from the result and exactly how? I'd genuinely like to know as a Remain voter who is both appalled by the result and the failure of my side to win.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,599
    Much better to publically state that they continue to be opposed to May's line, and have no intention of resigning from the Cabinet because they will fight their corner in the Cabinet in order to uphold the manifesto on which the Conservatives fought the 2017 election. Then May herself has to actively sack them and face the consequences.

Davis and Johnson should have done the same. Resigning makes it too easy for May.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,906

Bring back control.

Looks like the DUP are.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    FPT: Large scale energy storage in Oz, courtesy of the eccentric Mr Musk.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-42190358
  • Options

May could end up with only Ken Clarke, Anna Soubry, Sarah Woolaston, Nicky Morgan and Dominic Grieve available to fill Cabinet positions.

Their arrival would at least quintuple the average level of intelligence in the Cabinet, given the prevalence of quarterwits currently.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,706
    Mortimer said:

Chris_A said:

Convinced by a bus, surely? We're talking Brexiteers.
  • Options
    felix said:

DavidL said:

Very easy to criticize May in this way and of course mistakes have been made. But who could have seriously achieved much more from the result and exactly how? I'd genuinely like to know as a Remain voter who is both appalled by the result and the failure of my side to win.
    UK negotiations should start from WTO and add side agreements.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,800

Mortimer said:

Chris_A said:

Not the bus, it was the lie, and many others besides, with a large dose of nasty old xenophobia and nationalism. No one was "beaten by a bus".
    People just don't like the EU very much. That's been apparent for years.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited October 2018
    'Magnaminous in victory, gracious in defeat'.

Whilst I'm married to a Remain voter, I wouldn't let my daughter marry one. Remainers have no class.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

He’s now a Geoff, following your resignation with immediate effect.
    Ah, victory.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    On topic:

I think there are two different axis here: the number of resignations from cabinet, and what they announce when (and if) they go. In particular, do they quit and announce that their letter has gone into the '22.

If just one goes, and particularly if its Leadsom, then nothing really happens.

At the other end of the scale, if it's Leadsom, Raab and Morduant, and they all call for a VoNC, then I think the MPs will be voting on whether she remains imminently.

My suspicion is that Mrs May has made it clear to all and sundry that she will fight a VoNC and that she will win it. That doubt among the ERG, that she might hold on is surely what is preventing resignations.

The second thing that's worked in Mrs May's favour to date is that no-one is really that keen to take over right now. Boris doesn't want to lead the UK into No Deal, hence his proposal to immediately ask for a six month extension to Article 50. David Davis doesn't want the job. While most of the ERG want Canada+, very, very few of them want No Deal as a stepping stone to it.

So, in the immortal words of The Clash, "If She Goes There Will be Trouble, If She Stays It Will be Double."

• Options
    Anazina said:

I quit!

• Options
    DavidL said:

I think that is the view of the majority of the Conservative parliamentary party, and even of a large chunk of the ERG.
  • Options

felix said:

DavidL said:

Do you mean we quit with No Deal, and then start negotiations?
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    felix said:

Chris_A said:

Yup all those idiots and remind us how thick you need to be to LOSE a referendum?
    Yes Cameron the thickest of them all. Thank God he didn't stay to clear up the mess he's caused.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,844
    Strong and Stable
  • Options

Strong and Stable

Remarkably so, actually :smiley:
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Strong and Stable

You wouldn't want one of those coalitions of chaos...
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,599
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

DavidL said:

An excellent idea. Give it a month and could all be sorted.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Chris_A said:

felix said:

Chris_A said:

Yes Cameron the thickest of them all. Thank God he didn't stay to clear up the mess he's caused.
    Appointing IDS Min for W & P in 2010 not looking a genius move today, either.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

DavidL said:

Given the lost time, yes, we start from WTO and negotiate side agreements about March 29th issues and worry later about a trade deal in exchange for £38bn withdrawal bill (or less).
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Chris_A said:

felix said:

Chris_A said:

It is Osborne who sabotaged Universal Credit - which is why IDS resigned.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

DavidL said:

Given the lost time, yes, we start from WTO and negotiate side agreements about March 29th issues and worry later about a trade deal in exchange for £38bn withdrawal bill (or less).
    Spot on. It is the only way forward now.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Ishmael_Z said:

Chris_A said:

felix said:

Chris_A said:

Good article by Fraser Nelson in the Spectator on the topic:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/10/will-the-tories-have-the-wit-to-save-universal-credit-and-themselves/

When the Spectator is putting the boot in, the Tories really, really need to pay attention. While IDS isn't particularly bright, UC was a passion project for him. He resigned, quite rightly, because the Treasury is inhabited by wall to wall heartless c*nts. They've turned what was a worthy, if imperfect, attempt to address the welfare trap into yet another assault on the poor.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I hate to break this to you. You won't sort this out once May has gone. As has been obvious from the get go to anyone paying attention. At least May has, eventually, engaged seriously with the mess.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Chris_A said:

So - no lies or even half-truths on t'other side. A perfect campaign and so easily beaten.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

felix said:

Chris_A said:

Luckily for you there were no prominent campaigners from the other parties who supported Remain. No sir not one! The Labour party was united in supporting Leave!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I would have thought Esther McVey would do far more damage if she were to resign over the way universal credit was being introduced. Three more Cabinet members admitting that they were nitwits who didn't understand what had previously been signed up for would barely cause a ripple.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    edited October 2018
    Has everyone on here read Ivan Rogers’ latest intervention?

https://share.trin.cam.ac.uk/sites/public/Comms/Rogers_brexit_as_revolution.pdf
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I would have thought Esther McVey would do far more damage if she were to resign over the way universal credit was being introduced. Three more Cabinet members admitting that they were nitwits who didn't understand what had previously been signed up for would barely cause a ripple.

Alastair - So you support Davis and Johnson resigning over the Chequers plan?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,973
    Mr. Meeks, given May stated no PM could sign up to the proposition of Northern Ireland being in the customs union and the rest of the UK not, and what was said at the time of Barnier's comments, is it not that (regardless of whether the UK being in the customs union is ok or not) the EU has moved the goalposts, limiting the customs union offer from UK to NI-only, and seeking to commit an act of regulatory annexation?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited October 2018

It's an excellent read. And sums up nicely the lamentable failures of political leadership that have led the UK into its current sorry mess.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, given May stated no PM could sign up to the proposition of Northern Ireland being in the customs union and the rest of the UK not, and what was said at the time of Barnier's comments, is it not that (regardless of whether the UK being in the customs union is ok or not) the EU has moved the goalposts, limiting the customs union offer from UK to NI-only, and seeking to commit an act of regulatory annexation?

The EU made an NI only single market offer to solve the Irish border issue (if creating an NI/UK issue).

Not sure they made any customs offer since the Uk did not seek one.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,468
    Anorak said:

That's not really bulk storage, though. It's mainly used for smoothing the supply, which it does exceptionally well, but it's nowhere near cheap enough for bulk.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

DavidL said:

You are talking about ten years without trade agreements governing our trade, not just with the EU.

Brave.
  • Options
    3 utter thickies threatening to resign?! TMay should bring it on
  • Options

Alastair - So you support Davis and Johnson resigning over the Chequers plan?
    You'll notice the word "more". The writing was on the wall in December. Some of us were surprised then how readily the nutnuts accepted that. It turned out they were just really thick.

Given the complete absence of any coherent workable plan from the headbangers, they are effectively offering a nihilist vision of Brexit. That's not something that anyone sane could support (which is no doubt why so many Leavers have rallied behind them). For all its many faults, the Chequers proposal was an attempt to resolve the outstanding differences between the EU and Britain.
  • Options
    felix said:

The problems from the start were:

(i) Trying to cherry pick, which was a sop to the Remain voters. Brexit was a binary decision and whenever there was a choice, the leave manifesto was the appropriate path. Huge amounts of time have been wasted trying to maintain 'benefits' of the SM when we should have been pursuing CETA the whole time. We wasted our negotiating capital and looked confused and unprepared.
    (ii) DD was right - we should never have agreed to the sequencing of the talks. It made no sense (basically the EU saying that they could not talk trade until after Brexit, in which case there was no point the UK even taking part in a discussion) and we should have stood our ground and refused to start negotiations until something sensible was proposed. But once again, the problem was Remainers screaming that we had to make concessions, that we could not precipitate a crisis, that we could never leave without a deal. The sequencing was a huge trap and once the EU realised May would fall for it, they knew she would cave on everything. So it has proven.
    (iii) Not being prepared to walk away, and not planning for no deal as the default state. No deal was always the correct default outcome if the EU were serious about refusing to negotiate a trade outcome as part of the WA. It is simply beyond belief that the Government refused to plan for this.

Ultimately, if the UK had walked in December and stated that no backstop would ever be signed or even discussed, there would have been a crisis and it would have blown over. Once the NI issue was settled by a joint commitment to a technological solution (overseen by the WTO perhaps), the rest would have been easy - a transition period and CETA with the money linked to delivery. We would just be arguing about which 'pluses' of CETA we could agree.

This was never a particularly challenging situation. It was always going to take the UK walking out in a huff a few times early on and basically stating that they would prepare for WTO but negotiate in the meantime. But at every stage, the voice of the losers was paramount because they thought that if we conceded on everything, we would end up Remaining (either in reality or all but name). They may be right in outcome. But they have destroyed any chance of a sensible balanced deal, damaged the interests of the nation and as a result Brexit will continue to contaminate UK politics and in all probability destroy the Tory Party.
  • Options
    Penny? Thick. Esther? Thicker. Andrea? Thickest of the lot!
  • Options
    Their resignation will increase the average iQ of both the ERG and the cabinet!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Anorak said:

That's not really bulk storage, though. It's mainly used for smoothing the supply, which it does exceptionally well, but it's nowhere near cheap enough for bulk.
    It is a pointless system, more about posturing than reality. It manages some smoothing of supply but the actual capacity of this battery is tiny - it would be lucky to supply the SA market for more than a few minutes. What is really does is further distort the SA energy market by making reliable baseload uneconomical. If SA could not import all its peak supply from fossil fuel plants in other states, they would have regular blackouts. And since these states are decommissioning their own plants, SA is in deep trouble.
  • Options
    Probably because of the large fraction of their trade that occurs with or goes through the UK.
  • Options

Yes. The December agreement was for an all-UK backstop. It did not commit to membership of the CU or SM, although it made very unwise commitments to alignment. Barnier simply moved the goalposts. May should have walked out. But she doesn't have the guts.
  • Options
    Maybe Arlene Foster could lead the Conservative and Unionist party MPs in the Commons and give it some backbone.
  • Options

It's pretty bitter, but Ivan Roger's strength is that he knows what he is talking about.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

£5000 grants and a few lower interest loans are peanuts - just PR.
  • Options

We don't talk about the minutiae, but that's where the trouble is.

Nobody is talking about the complex tax issues caused by No Deal, and the fact that if we leave without a Withdrawal agreement then we drop out of EU regulations concerning withholding and double taxation. And once we do that, we're not going to be talking to the EU about it, we're going to have to negotiate with 28 members states. My former business, which had subsidiaries in Estonia, Latvia, Denmark and Italy, would be absolutely hammered by this.

Nor are they talking about the consequences of dropping out of the existing EU trade agreements, including (yes) with the US. I hold by my original contention that the consequences for non-EU trade would be more severe than for EU trade of a No Deal exit. It doesn't help that the current US government is seeking to screw us on Open Skies/Airlines, and now looks like they're blocking us from a key part of WTO rules on government procurement.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nobody is talking about the complex tax issues caused by No Deal, and the fact that if we leave without a Withdrawal agreement then we drop out of EU regulations concerning withholding and double taxation. And once we do that, we're not going to be talking to the EU about it, we're going to have to negotiate with 28 members states. My former business, which had subsidiaries in Estonia, Latvia, Denmark and Italy, would be absolutely hammered by this.

Nor are they talking about the consequences of dropping out of the existing EU trade agreements, including (yes) with the US. I hold by my original contention that the consequences for non-EU trade would be more severe than for EU trade of a No Deal exit. It doesn't help that the current US government is seeking to screw us on Open Skies/Airlines, and now looks like they're blocking us from a key part of WTO rules on government procurement.
    I'm interested you raise taxation, our perception is that Brexit wouldn't change that much. EU-DOTAS will clearly be different, but most double tax treaties are bilateral (even BEPS doesn't require us to be part of the EU).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Probably because of the large fraction of their trade that occurs with or goes through the UK.
    There is a lack of large scale container ports in Ireland. Shifting their trade so it flowed via Rotterdam would not be simple. That being said, Ireland is fortunate indeed that many of its exports are extremely valuable on price-to-weight basis (neither Intel CPUs nor pharmaceuticals are particularly bulky), so flights are an option. (Although agriculture would be a bit screwed.)
  • Options

O/T The President of Oxford University Conservatives appears to have no sense of irony:-

"The banning of members of the Bullingdon club from holding office in the association – a club banned by the university and who’s values and activities have no place in the modern Conservative Party – will I hope show that we are moving towards a more open, welcoming, and tolerant environment for all.”
  • Options

felix said:

The problems from the start
    (iii) Not being prepared to walk away, and not planning for no deal as the default state. No deal was always the correct default outcome if the EU were serious about refusing to negotiate a trade outcome as part of the WA. It is simply beyond belief that the Government refused to plan for this.

Ultimately, if the UK had walked in December and stated that no backstop would ever be signed or even discussed, there would have been a crisis and it would have blown over. Once the NI issue was settled by a joint commitment to a technological solution (overseen by the WTO perhaps), the rest would have been easy - a transition period and CETA with the money linked to delivery. We would just be arguing about which 'pluses' of CETA we could agree.

This was never a particularly challenging situation. It was always going to take the UK walking out in a huff a few times early on and basically stating that they would prepare for WTO but negotiate in the meantime. But at every stage, the voice of the losers was paramount because they thought that if we conceded on everything, we would end up Remaining (either in reality or all but name). They may be right in outcome. But they have destroyed any chance of a sensible balanced deal, damaged the interests of the nation and as a result Brexit will continue to contaminate UK politics and in all probability destroy the Tory Party.
    Ultimately TM handed the negotiations to David Davis, Boris and Liam Fox and they all turned out to be utterly useless in fighting their cause and Boris only resigned because he had no choice when David Davis resigned first

They had their chance and now TM, or someone, has to get a deal and put it to the HOC. I expect it will pass but if not the HOC will move to a second referendum.

If any Brexiteers resign from cabinet I would expect them to be replaced by serious non Brexiteers including Amber Rudd and possibly Nicky Morgan

The ERG have lost their cause and they only have themselves to blame. Apart from Raab the rest are seriously overrated

As for the party, I have no idea what happens, but I expect it will heal in time, but that is not my immediate concern. Getting the withdrawal agreement and transistion is all that matters at present
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

DavidL said:

You are talking about ten years without trade agreements governing our trade, not just with the EU.

Brave.
    Brave is better than weak, weak, weak,
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The Uk should have said March 2019, no payments and WTO.

If the EU want some payments then lets hear what you are willing to offer on trade.

Process would have been additive rather than subtractive - far less fraught.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

O/T The President of Oxford University Conservatives appears to have no sense of irony:-

"The banning of members of the Bullingdon club from holding office in the association – a club banned by the university and who’s values and activities have no place in the modern Conservative Party – will I hope show that we are moving towards a more open, welcoming, and tolerant environment for all.”

Sean I can assure that the influence of those twats closes off the society, not opens it. Welcome the 1% and show 50% the door.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797

Everyone "thick" if they take a different view to you?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That's Oxford for you - obviously too dumb for Cambfridge. :)
  • Options
    Meanwhile, elements of Leave and Remain are competing to see who can produce the most appalling memes:

https://twitter.com/KarenPollock100/status/1050751570672005121
    https://twitter.com/Daniel_Sugarman/status/1050386424464375813

The degradation of Britain's cultural life continues. And, obviously, Brexit is in large part to blame.
  • Options

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

DavidL said:

Brave.
    Brave is better than weak, weak, weak,
    I think common sense trumps both. Unfortunately we haven't had much of that recently.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Chris_A said:

felix said:

Chris_A said:

^^^^ this.

Everything he touched has turned brown.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

rcs1000 said:

I'm interested you raise taxation, our perception is that Brexit wouldn't change that much. EU-DOTAS will clearly be different, but most double tax treaties are bilateral (even BEPS doesn't require us to be part of the EU).
    Quite a few withholding tax rates are better than treaty rate due to either the directive or unilateral domestic legislation introduced by member states to deal with the threat of non-discrimination cases by extending domestic-equivalent rates to recipients in other member states (iirc Italy went down that route on dividend withholding tax for portfolio holdings). So while the treaties won’t be disrupted per se, other benefits will be lost.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

"Thick Brexiteers - too thick to vote the right way - let's vote again"

• Options
    TGOHF said:

If the EU want some payments then lets hear what you are willing to offer on trade.

Additive from zero, not the status quo. VERY subtractive from the status quo. People like their jobs, welfare and lifestyles.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Open, welcoming, tolerant. :)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Corporate tax is (for now at least) a national competence in the EU. 2003/123/EC and 90/435/EEC cover double taxation and withholding taxes between parents and subsidiaries where both are in EU/EEA states. While there are bilateral agreements with older EU members, newer ones have mostly just relied on implementing the EU directives. Our accountants - perhaps because of the complexity of our structure - were having kittens about the effect of withholding taxes in a No Deal world.
  • Options

Ultimately TM handed the negotiations to David Davis, Boris and Liam Fox and they all turned out to be utterly useless in fighting their cause and Boris only resigned because he had no choice when David Davis resigned first

They had their chance and now TM, or someone, has to get a deal and put it to the HOC. I expect it will pass but if not the HOC will move to a second referendum.

If any Brexiteers resign from cabinet I would expect them to be replaced by serious non Brexiteers including Amber Rudd and possibly Nicky Morgan

The ERG have lost their cause and they only have themselves to blame. Apart from Raab the rest are seriously overrated

As for the party, I have no idea what happens, but I expect it will heal in time, but that is not my immediate concern. Getting the withdrawal agreement and transistion is all that matters at present

Sorry but this is re-writing history. Firstly, Fox and Johnson had nothing to do with the negotiations at all. Secondly, DD has been clear that he was constantly over-ruled by May right from the start. He is on record saying he told her not to agree to the sequencing of talks, he told her not to offer the financial settlement and he told her not to offer the backstop. He told her to go for CETA from mid 2017. May deliberately sidelined DexEU because she knew that DD would (correctly) refuse to cross the redlines and would walk rather than cave in. So she set up a parallel negotiating unit and undermined him. This is all well known and not disputed.

Nobody is fooled. The negotiations were run by Remainers and the EU knew it and exploited it. It is their fault it has been a fiasco. And if the Leavers resign and they are replaced by the utterly talentless Rudd and Morgan, then it will just make the Tory disaster at the next election even more spectacular. The only people who can save you are the DUP and ERG who will reject May's deal, force No Deal and (assuming some new leadership) prove that there will be no disaster and we can then revisit the EU from a position of strength.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

We can still say it.

I like the additive rather than substractive negotiating tactic. Are you available for Number 10s Brexit unit?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,632
    Sean_F said:

"...who's..." ?!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Additive from zero, not the status quo. VERY subtractive from the status quo. People like their jobs, welfare and lifestyles.
    And their huge national debt that these spawn..
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,179
    On topic:

Bye, close the door on your way out.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean I can assure that the influence of those twats closes off the society, not opens it. Welcome the 1% and show 50% the door.
    Well, they aren't my cup of tea, but I would have thought they'd be natural Tory supporters.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Corporate tax is (for now at least) a national competence in the EU. 2003/123/EC and 90/435/EEC cover double taxation and withholding taxes between parents and subsidiaries where both are in EU/EEA states. While there are bilateral agreements with older EU members, newer ones have mostly just relied on implementing the EU directives. Our accountants - perhaps because of the complexity of our structure - were having kittens about the effect of withholding taxes in a No Deal world.
    Right, I was thinking about our relationship with the rest of the world.
  • Options

Maybe Arlene Foster could lead the Conservative and Unionist party MPs in the Commons and give it some backbone.

TBH the obvious thing to do is for the DUP to stand candidates in GB. They might even get Farage on board with that. They are pro-Brexit Unionists. They have great recognition. They would become the new UKIP overnight.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I also think there is an large slice of misogyny in the abuse of these three ministers.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,632

Sorry but this is re-writing history. Firstly, Fox and Johnson had nothing to do with the negotiations at all. Secondly, DD has been clear that he was constantly over-ruled by May right from the start. He is on record saying he told her not to agree to the sequencing of talks, he told her not to offer the financial settlement and he told her not to offer the backstop. He told her to go for CETA from mid 2017. May deliberately sidelined DexEU because she knew that DD would (correctly) refuse to cross the redlines and would walk rather than cave in. So she set up a parallel negotiating unit and undermined him. This is all well known and not disputed.

Nobody is fooled. The negotiations were run by Remainers and the EU knew it and exploited it. It is their fault it has been a fiasco. And if the Leavers resign and they are replaced by the utterly talentless Rudd and Morgan, then it will just make the Tory disaster at the next election even more spectacular. The only people who can save you are the DUP and ERG who will reject May's deal, force No Deal and (assuming some new leadership) prove that there will be no disaster and we can then revisit the EU from a position of strength.
    "DD has been clear that he was constantly over-ruled by May right from the start"

So why on earth did he not resign 'right at the start'??
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Nigelb said:

Anorak said:

True, but all it has to do is keeps the lights on while they fire up the CCGT fleet.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    TGOHF said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Chris_A said:

felix said:

Chris_A said:

^^^^ this.

Everything he touched has turned brown.
    Boom Tish!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Well, they aren't my cup of tea, but I would have thought they'd be natural Tory supporters.
    If they were not, they would not be poisoning student politics at one of the few universities where the Conservatives could actually achieve anything.
This discussion has been closed.