Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Will May reach and deal and

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Will May reach and deal and can she get it through parliament if she does?

This week’s PB / Polling Matters podcast is split into two parts:

Read the full story here

Comments

• tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    First out of the club
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Glorious Second!
  • currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

What will you do if Brexit is a success?

Rejoice.

What will you do when it's not?
    Deal with it, I voted Remain and wish Cameron was still PM, but hes not and we are leaving the EU. Since the vote this country has boomed, going completely against all predictions from the Remain side. I am optomistic. I really don't see the point in worrying about predictions as from my experience they are nearly always wrong. All your posts are just predictions from "experts" of how things are going to be terrible. You would have wasted alot of time if things go well.
    Get real. The idea that leaving the single market and customs union will introduce trade barriers is not a "prediction" but the actual reality of what it means.
    Get real. Does it even matter? We are routinely told we don't need trade deals with the rest of the world as Germant can trade despite the lack of them. So does it matter if there are more barriers?

Or does running out own country well matter more?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    She's doomed to try, doomed to fail.....
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

Deal with it, I voted Remain and wish Cameron was still PM, but hes not and we are leaving the EU. Since the vote this country has boomed, going completely against all predictions from the Remain side. I am optomistic. I really don't see the point in worrying about predictions as from my experience they are nearly always wrong. All your posts are just predictions from "experts" of how things are going to be terrible. You would have wasted alot of time if things go well.
    Get real. The idea that leaving the single market and customs union will introduce trade barriers is not a "prediction" but the actual reality of what it means.
    Get real. Does it even matter? We are routinely told we don't need trade deals with the rest of the world as Germant can trade despite the lack of them. So does it matter if there are more barriers?

Creating trade barriers with Ireland is sufficient in itself to conclude that the country is not being well run. It's not all about economics you know.
  • FPT. Mr Dancer I take no pleasure in our nation being a laughing stock, quite the reverse. It is one of the reasons I feel genuine anger toward many Leavers and their faux patriotism.

There are undoubtedly some Leave supporters who like Mr Dancer articulate their thinking well, though I still struggle to see the logic in isolating our country from a large trading block on our doorstep when the benefits are so unclear and the counterarguments to Brexit so logical and clear. What we are saying is that 27 other countries that are happy to pool their sovereignty for considerable benefit are wrong and we (or rather 52% of "us") are right. If there is such a thing as the wisdom of the crowd, we are clearly not very wise.

The one thing I will take some pleasure from is the opprobrium that history will quickly pore on Johnson Fox and Davis for their conceit, self aggrandisement and lies.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    "Reach and deal" ?
    Is that a card trick or a sexual peccadillo ?

She's doomed to try, doomed to fail.....

Is this about Hillary running again?
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    FPT - TSE Good luck
  • currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

Mr Thompson, I assume you mean "running down our country"? Please see my previous post. Leavers are in no position what so ever to claim the patriotic high ground. They have made our country a laughing stock internationally, and those politicians responsible should never be allowed to forget the mess they have created.
  • kjh said:

FPT - TSE Good luck

Thanks.
  • Nigelb said:

"Reach and deal" ?

haha. probably the latter, and may involve POTUS and Stormy Daniels

Nigelb said:

"Reach and deal" ?

Let's not go there. We traumatised TSE yesterday.
  • currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

Creating trade barriers with Ireland is sufficient in itself to conclude that the country is not being well run. It's not all about economics you know.
    We aren't the ones threatening barriers. We have said we want a trade deal, they don't want to talk about one. That's on them not us. We aren't prisoners we can leave and negotiate one when they get over us leaving and are ready to talk.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited October 2018
    That Eurobarometer poll has Remain 51 - 34 Leave for the UK (with don't knows/don't votes/refused the balance, so exactly 60-40 with those excluded).

Seems a long way out compared to other recent polls.
  • Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

"Reach and deal" ?

Let's not go there. We traumatised TSE yesterday.
    Oh damn I missed that, must have logged off. What time?

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

We aren't the ones threatening barriers. We have said we want a trade deal, they don't want to talk about one. That's on them not us. We aren't prisoners we can leave and negotiate one when they get over us leaving and are ready to talk.
    An FTA creates trade barriers compared with the status quo.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,546

FPT. Mr Dancer I take no pleasure in our nation being a laughing stock, quite the reverse. It is one of the reasons I feel genuine anger toward many Leavers and their faux patriotism.

There are undoubtedly some Leave supporters who like Mr Dancer articulate their thinking well, though I still struggle to see the logic in isolating our country from a large trading block on our doorstep when the benefits are so unclear and the counterarguments to Brexit so logical and clear. What we are saying is that 27 other countries that are happy to pool their sovereignty for considerable benefit are wrong and we (or rather 52% of "us") are right. If there is such a thing as the wisdom of the crowd, we are clearly not very wise.

The one thing I will take some pleasure from is the opprobrium that history will quickly pore on Johnson Fox and Davis for their conceit, self aggrandisement and lies.

May must surely go down as the worst PM of the modern era. With Cameron close behind.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

That Eurobarometer poll has Remain 51 - 34 Leave for the UK (with don't knows/don't votes/refused the balance, so exactly 60-40 with those excluded).

It includes people who are ineligible to vote in our elections and is unweighted by post vote. Kantar have said that it can't be compared with their other polls.
  • FPT. Mr Dancer I take no pleasure in our nation being a laughing stock, quite the reverse. It is one of the reasons I feel genuine anger toward many Leavers and their faux patriotism.

May must surely go down as the worst PM of the modern era. With Cameron close behind.
    I used to think so, but history will be the judge. She has not been given the best cards. People used to say that Gordon Brown was terrible, and in many ways he was, but history may judge his handling of the crash well.
  • currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

Mr Thompson, I assume you mean "running down our country"? Please see my previous post. Leavers are in no position what so ever to claim the patriotic high ground. They have made our country a laughing stock internationally, and those politicians responsible should never be allowed to forget the mess they have created.
    So a Country which has full employment, which has what is widely regarded as the greatest city in the world, that has history and culture that most other countries can only dream of and where people are prepared to live in horrendous conditions in France just so that they can live here, is now a laughing stock. Get real. This is an awesome country to live in, which is why so many people want to come and live here.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    It is now likely if May confirms she has confirmed the backstop of permanent SM and CU membership for Northern Ireland that the UK will be on the same terms anyway in the transition period until the end of 2021 and that will be enough for the DUP to keep propping May up given Corbyn and McDonnell are the alternative.

However if no final trade deal agreed by the end of 2021 Boris may fancy his chances of toppling May and chucking the DUP and leading the Tories into a 2022 general election on a platform of CETA for GB
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited October 2018

FPT. Mr Dancer I take no pleasure in our nation being a laughing stock, quite the reverse. It is one of the reasons I feel genuine anger toward many Leavers and their faux patriotism.

I suspect Cameron wins simply for creating this mess by calling the referendum and then running a campaign that didn't offer a single positive reason for remaining....

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

I am disappointed by the performance of Theresa May and most of her ministers. And more than disappointed by most of her predecessors who embedded us in an institution that it's fiendishly hard to get out of.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I think you will find there are some countries in that 27 who really don't want to "pool their sovereignty"

of course "pool" means lose in this case

I think you would also be hard pushed to say the EU was being run for the benefit of other than at tops 2 countries - look what happened to southern Europe because of that.

Why also does Merkel get to invite in a couple of million new guests on her own and then when it all goes spectacularly wrong decide that all EU nations have to take their fare share?

There are also sizeable groups of the population in certain counties that really do want to leave or at least stop the ever increasing federalisation

You will also have to admit we were never asked about joining anything other than a trading block.

So, really in your eyes only some "lies" matter?

I used to think so, but history will be the judge. She has not been given the best cards. People used to say that Gordon Brown was terrible, and in many ways he was, but history may judge his handling of the crash well.
    I think May is decisive in a way that Brown wasn't. It's easy to mistake her can kicking for indecision but it's more about keeping control over process. When the time comes for big calls she's shown she is not afraid.
  • currystar said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

So a Country which has full employment, which has what is widely regarded as the greatest city in the world, that has history and culture that most other countries can only dream of and where people are prepared to live in horrendous conditions in France just so that they can live here, is now a laughing stock. Get real. This is an awesome country to live in, which is why so many people want to come and live here.
    Don't disagree with most of what you have said, except the "get real".

I was (obviously) referring to our current political predicament. We are a laughing stock, so to use your ridiculous hackneyed phrase "get real" yourself. Brexit is an unpatriotic endeavour that has embarrassed the country in the eyes of the world. Only an idiot would think otherwise.
  • currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

And? So what?

Don't be silly. Whilst it's true that Theresa May is not temperamentally well-suited to the job, and has a tin-ear politically, she's actually doing reasonably well given the awful circumstances and the lack of a majority: she's managed to balance the opposing factions, the economy is being exceptionally well-run, and it's looking as though there's a good chance she'll manage a reasonable deal with the EU, if parliament doesn't wreck it. That's a hell of a lot better a record than Blair, for the obvious reason, or Brown, for multiple obvious reasons, and puts her on a par with (say) John Major, and better than Callaghan.

Cameron was of course the best PM, bar Maggie, of the last 50 years, and I don't expect to see another PM as good as him in my remaining lifetime.
    edited October 2018

There are undoubtedly we are clearly not very wise.

Brown left a huge deficit and high unemployment and Blair invaded Iraq without UN backing.

In many respects John Major is now the best PM post Thatcher, he left a growing economy, low inflation, a reasonably balanced budget and relatively low inflation, managed his Eurosceptic backbenchers without the UK crashing out of the EU unlike Cameron and won the Gulf War only with a UN backed coalition
  • currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

And? So what?
    Shows that Gove and Johnson et al said Brexit would lead to frictionless and easier trade.
  • Labour have chosen an all woman shortlist for Sheffield Hallam.

Wise.

Don't be silly. Whilst it's true that Theresa May is not temperamentally well-suited to the job, and has a tin-ear politically, she's actually doing reasonably well given the awful circumstances and the lack of a majority: she's managed to balance the opposing factions, the economy is being exceptionally well-run, and it's looking as though there's a good chance she'll manage a reasonable deal with the EU, if parliament doesn't wreck it. That's a hell of a lot better a record than Blair, for the obvious reason, or Brown, for multiple obvious reasons, and puts her on a par with (say) John Major, and better than Callaghan.

Cameron was of course the best PM, bar Maggie, of the last 50 years, and I don't expect to see another PM as good as him in my remaining lifetime.
    I don't think anything in modern times really compares for sheer dismal failure than the period chronicled by Philip Whitehead in the Writing on the Wall (which covered the 1967-1981 period).
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Labour have chosen an all woman shortlist for Sheffield Hallam.

Wise.

More discrimination.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

currystar said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

I was (obviously) referring to our current political predicament. We are a laughing stock, so to use your ridiculous hackneyed phrase "get real" yourself. Brexit is an unpatriotic endeavour that has embarrassed the country in the eyes of the world. Only an idiot would think otherwise.
    You remind me of Colonel Cathcart in 'Catch 22'. Always worrying about 'feathers in his cap' and 'black eyes'. Some people think we're daft. It doesn't matter a hill of beans.

Cameron set himself the aims of anchoring Scotland In the union, anchoring the UK in the EU and ending Tory wars over Europe.

And he failed miserably on all three. He left the country an international laughing stock with its alliances in tatters and the union under more strain than at anytime in the past 300 years. And Tory MPs openly refer to their government as a shitshow and confess that they would not vote for it!

If that is success I hate to think what failure would look like!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    I think the big news is that @HYUFD has now caught and passed me on the PB post count leaderboard with his well wishing for the Gov't :)
    John_M said:

currystar said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

You remind me of Colonel Cathcart in 'Catch 22'. Always worrying about 'feathers in his cap' and 'black eyes'. Some people think we're daft. It doesn't matter a hill of beans.
    The sad thing is, most of the world isn't interested in us. They have enough on their plate.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    John_M said:

Some people think we're daft. It doesn't matter a hill of beans.

It really does though. It matters for investment, which means jobs and taxes
  • Floater said:

I think you will find there are some countries in that 27 who really don't want to "pool their sovereignty"

I think you would also be hard pushed to say the EU was being run for the benefit of other than at tops 2 countries - look what happened to southern Europe because of that.

Why also does Merkel get to invite in a couple of million new guests on her own and then when it all goes spectacularly wrong decide that all EU nations have to take their fare share?

There are also sizeable groups of the population in certain counties that really do want to leave or at least stop the ever increasing federalisation

You will also have to admit we were never asked about joining anything other than a trading block.

er no, you really need to check your facts. The idea that we were "only joining a trading block" is another whopper. The much maligned (and exaggerated) "ever closer union" was well known. The arguments against the EEC were well aired, and one of these was that we would "lose" some sovereignty (please see previous comments on the bogus sovereignty argument). I don't know whether you are old enough to remember the original referendum, or are capable of researching, but your statement is simply wrong and is another Brexit fanatic lie.
  • Sean_F said:

I don't think anything in modern times really compares for sheer dismal failure than the period chronicled by Philip Whitehead in the Writing on the Wall (which covered the 1967-1981 period).
    Yes, I've been following politics since the end of the Macmillan period, and I'd agree with that. It was a collective failure of the political class and of both parties, rather than of any individual PM, though.

It's also interesting to note why it happened: failure to grasp the nettle whilst there was still time to do so. The whole history of the last forty years might well have been different if Wilson hadn't bottled it when Barbara Castle came up with her In Place of Strife proposals.

currystar said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

I did vote remain but I didn't really understand the EU then. Mt experience of the EU now and their behaviour during this process and the EU's dealings with Greece and other Southern European countries means that I would now vote leave. I do not consider it unpatriotic. I used to think Farage exaggerated how bad the EU are, I don't think so anymore.
    Pulpstar said:

I think the big news is that @HYUFD has now caught and passed me on the PB post count leaderboard with his well wishing for the Gov't :)

I hope they are grateful
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,968
    edited October 2018
    This is acceptable and all patriotic Brits will agree, only traitors and Putin's little helpers will disagree.

https://twitter.com/CER_Grant/status/1053297961508261888
    Scott_P said:

John_M said:

I've always accepted the IFS, NIESR (et al) reports on the economic impact of the various Brexit scenarios. However, and I appreciate it's nitpicking, I care not if the entire population of (say) Moldova is splitting their sides at the feckless Brits and their crazy ideas. If it's the CEO of (say) Nissan, that's a different kettle of fish.
  • Cameron set himself the aims of anchoring Scotland In the union, anchoring the UK in the EU and ending Tory wars over Europe.

And he failed miserably on all three. He left the country an international laughing stock with its alliances in tatters and the union under more strain than at anytime in the past 300 years. And Tory MPs openly refer to their government as a shitshow and confess that they would not vote for it!

Voters decided not to follow his advice. That doesn't make him a bad PM, it means voters made a mistake. More fool them: we are seeing the consequences.

This is acceptable and all patriotic Brits will agree, only traitors and Putin's little helpers will disagree.

Interesting.

Floater said:

er no, you really need to check your facts. The idea that we were "only joining a trading block" is another whopper. The much maligned (and exaggerated) "ever closer union" was well known. The arguments against the EEC were well aired, and one of these was that we would "lose" some sovereignty (please see previous comments on the bogus sovereignty argument). I don't know whether you are old enough to remember the original referendum, or are capable of researching, but your statement is simply wrong and is another Brexit fanatic lie.
    I think it would be fair to say that most of our political leaders have been less than frank about the nature of our involvement with the EU. Gordon Brown's promise of a referendum on the EU constitution and then reneging when it was renamed the Lisbon Treaty was only the most egregious.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,363

I suspect someone will find fault with it.
    edited October 2018
    Sean_F said:

John_M said:

currystar said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

currystar said:

Rejoice.

Deal withit well.

The sad thing is, most of the world isn't interested in us. They have enough on their plate.
    Most of the world are interested in the US for obvious reasons and China as they have the most impact on their lives economically and politically and Russia can be added too if you live in the Middle East or Eastern Europe and the EU in economic terms.

As far as they think of the UK they think of the royal family and a few British celebrities, actors and pop stars and sports stars and London and that is about it. Brexit is a vague curiosity outside Europe but not much more than that
    Pulpstar said:

Polls show that you are still in the lead.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

John_M said:

I've always accepted the IFS, NIESR (et al) reports on the economic impact of the various Brexit scenarios. However, and I appreciate it's nitpicking, I care not if the entire population of (say) Moldova is splitting their sides at the feckless Brits and their crazy ideas. If it's the CEO of (say) Nissan, that's a different kettle of fish.
    Rimmel will be unlikely to persuade starry-eyed east European teenagers to get the London look if they think the London look involves hissing at people whose surnames end with Vs or vowels.
  • Mr. Currystar: the old "I used vote this way, but now I vote that" line is a great troll line.

The "EU" and its representatives report to the 27/28 sovereign countries that are members. Barnier has a duty to hold the line. It is us that have had the tantrum. They are not being exceptionally unreasonable, just negotiating form a position of strength. If the position were reversed and it was, say, Wales wanting to accede from the UK I can't imagine we would say "oh of course, you little darlings, we will agree to everything you say after 52% of your population has just told us to fuck off!"

Cameron set himself the aims of anchoring Scotland In the union, anchoring the UK in the EU and ending Tory wars over Europe.

Voters decided not to follow his advice. That doesn't make him a bad PM, it means voters made a mistake. More fool them: we are seeing the consequences.
    Ah, the voters! If only we didn't have to bother with them how much easier things would be!

Political leaders are supposed to lead, neither Cameron nor May had any idea of what leadership means. The Tories have not had a leader worthy of the name since Thatcher, all her successors have merely followed the line of least resistance in the Party.
    edited October 2018

Just stick to the SM and CU backstop for NI, the UK will be on the same terms in the transition period anyway, then try for a CETA style deal for GB from 2021
  • Sean_F said:

Floater said:

I think it would be fair to say that most of our political leaders have been less than frank about the nature of our involvement with the EU. Gordon Brown's promise of a referendum on the EU constitution and then reneging when it was renamed the Lisbon Treaty was only the most egregious.
    True, but in the past membership of the EU fixation was a minority sport. It featured about 20th in people's list of concerns. It was mainly a few gammons in the Tories and Old Labour that fixated about it
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    This is surely perceptive from Merkel and the reason we should not give up hope for a relatively sensible ending to the Brexit fiasco:

“We all need to find an answer on Ireland and Northern Ireland. But if you don’t have an agreement then you don’t have an answer either” — Angela Merkel
    Round up the usual suspects, Saudi style:
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/saudis-weigh-using-scapegoat

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

John_M said:

Rimmel will be unlikely to persuade starry-eyed east European teenagers to get the London look if they think the London look involves hissing at people whose surnames end with Vs or vowels.
    We exported the scouse brow to them. We have to atone for our sins.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

True, but in the past membership of the EU fixation was a minority sport. It featured about 20th in people's list of concerns. It was mainly a few gammons in the Tories and Old Labour that fixated about it
    That and the right-wing press acting as a mouthpiece for the eurosceptic elite.
  • HYUFD said:

It is now likely if May confirms she has confirmed the backstop of permanent SM and CU membership for Northern Ireland that the UK will be on the same terms anyway in the transition period until the end of 2021 and that will be enough for the DUP to keep propping May up given Corbyn and McDonnell are the alternative.

However if no final trade deal agreed by the end of 2021 Boris may fancy his chances of toppling May and chucking the DUP and leading the Tories into a 2022 general election on a platform of CETA for GB

Boris will be long gone by then. He is a busted flush. Even ERG prefer DD. You do seem to find it difficult to face up to his great fall. He would also lose the conservatives their Scottish seats. Do you not realise how toxic he is
  • Ah, the voters! If only we didn't have to bother with them how much easier things would be!

Political leaders are supposed to lead, neither Cameron nor May had any idea of what leadership means. The Tories have not had a leader worthy of the name since Thatcher, all her successors have merely followed the line of least resistance in the Party.

Now you really are being silly. Whatever else you can say about Cameron, one thing he most certainly did was provide leadership. He took the party and shook it up completely, making it electable and relevant to the modern world in a way it had forgotten to be for a couple of decades. He took it well out its comfort zone - in language and tone, in gay marriage, in applauding Blair, in community relations, and even in respect of the EU. It was magnificent leadership by any standard.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

kjh said:

FPT - TSE Good luck

Thanks.
    Indeed. Good luck.
  • Nigelb said:
    Yes, it's obvious how this is going to turn out - and it's not going to be agreeable for whoever gets to take the rap.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Has that x1.5 button always been there? It's a gamechanger :)
  • Ah, the voters! If only we didn't have to bother with them how much easier things would be!

Now you really are being silly. Whatever else you can say about Cameron, one thing he most certainly did was provide leadership. He took the party and shook it up completely, making it electable and relevant to the modern world in a way it had forgotten to be for a couple of decades. He took it well out its comfort zone - in language and tone, in gay marriage, in applauding Blair, in community relations, and even in respect of the EU. It was magnificent leadership by any standard.
    Agree with that. He had outstanding leadership abilities that are quite uncommon in politicians. Sadly he called an unnecessary referendum which will be the one thing he is remembered for and the political chaos that followed

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

It was a very big issue up till the early eighties, and then from the mid nineties. David Allen Green has given a good account (recalling his past allegiance as a Conservative Eurosceptic) of how Maastricht and then the drive to create the euro began shifting Conservative views.

Ah, the voters! If only we didn't have to bother with them how much easier things would be!

I thought Cameron a fine PM. He made a misjudgement and a series of tactical mistakes that proved his undoing. I can't dislike him for that. He was probably better as the PM of the coalition - that played to his undoubted strengths.
    Nigelb said:
    He's lined up to be their Yagoda.
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

It was a very big issue up till the early eighties, and then from the mid nineties. David Allen Green has given a good account (recalling his past allegiance as a Conservative Eurosceptic) of how Maastricht and then the drive to create the euro began shifting Conservative views.
    We all have our personal journeys.

I was too busy earning a living, raising children, getting wed, divorced, wed, widowed and so forth to really give a shit. Maastricht was a minor wtf? moment, but it wasn't until the shenanigans around the constitution and the subsequent Lisbon treaty that I got my xenophobe on, as Alastair might put it.
  • Sean_F said:

Floater said:

That and the right-wing press acting as a mouthpiece for the eurosceptic elite.
    Daily Mail has had quite a change recently and supports TM in general
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    John_M said:

I thought Cameron a fine PM. He made a misjudgement and a series of tactical mistakes that proved his undoing. I can't dislike him for that. He was probably better as the PM of the coalition - that played to his undoubted strengths.
    Being in office between Brown and May makes Cameron look a lot better than he really was.

However, his "Too many Tweets..." line is one of the best political soundbites of our time.
  • Mr Pointer, I am not sure there is anything elite about eurosceptics. Einstein, Bradley Wiggins, Steve Redgrave, Eric Clapton...all definitely elite.

Eurosceptics? As Bob Hoskins would say, "I've shit 'em"
  • Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

Yes, but not among the general population. Most (including many educated people) still don't know the difference between the ECJ and ECHR, and don't really care
  • SeanT said:

Quite. Nabavi is delusional. On any metric Cameron failed SPECTACULARLY

Not on, for example, the metric of rescuing the UK economy after the crash and the Brown spending orgy. To take the most obvious and important metric.
    edited October 2018

Cameron was the most electable Tory leader since Thatcher, Major though left a better legacy for the country, a strong economy, near peace in Northern Ireland and a UN backed coalition in the Gulf War and a UK in the EU but with opt outs
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2018
    Extraordinary poll from Germany:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Germany, Forschungsgruppe Wahlen poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 27% (-1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 20% (+3)
    AfD-EFDD: 16%
    SPD-S&D: 14% (-3)
    LINKE-LEFT: 10%
    FDP-ALDE: 8%

Field work: 16/10/18 – 18/10/18
    Sample size: 1,117"

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects
    edited October 2018
    AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

This, on the SPD's woes, was excellent. Reminds me very much of the plight of contemporary Blairites.

https://www.ft.com/content/a1f88c3c-d154-11e8-a9f2-7574db66bcd5

They've fallen a long way since Brandt.

HYUFD said:

Boris will be long gone by then. He is a busted flush. Even ERG prefer DD. You do seem to find it difficult to face up to his great fall. He would also lose the conservatives their Scottish seats. Do you not realise how toxic he is
    By 2022 DD will be past it and the Tories will want an election winner and there will likely be a Unionist majority at Holyrood anyway provided May has agreed the Withdrawal Agreement and Transition Period
    I hope you all have David Davis covered for next Prime Minister / Conservative leader:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1053209939504709634?s=21

Mr. Currystar: the old "I used vote this way, but now I vote that" line is a great troll line.

The "EU" and its representatives report to the 27/28 sovereign countries that are members. Barnier has a duty to hold the line. It is us that have had the tantrum. They are not being exceptionally unreasonable, just negotiating form a position of strength. If the position were reversed and it was, say, Wales wanting to accede from the UK I can't imagine we would say "oh of course, you little darlings, we will agree to everything you say after 52% of your population has just told us to fuck off!"

Check my posts from around the time of the vote, you will see that i am no troll.
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

I think you wil

er no, yohe original referendum, or are capable of researching, but your statement is simply wrong and is another Brexit fanatic lie.
    It was a minority sport, an idee fixe, a cranky obsession, for people like ME. I think when I first joined PB in about 2005 I was virtually the only eurosceptic on the site, and I was roundly derided for my monomania. Fair enough. But I kept warning, over the years, that my obsession was grounded in reality, and that my scepticism would spread, dangerously, unless it was addressed.

Again I was ignored, and people like me were ignored. How many times did Our Genial Host chortlingly point out that the EU was ranked 493rd in the list of issues facing the country?

He's not chortling now, is he? In the end, I was right, and the europhiles got it horribly, horribly wrong.
    Congratulations. You’ve seen Britain turn through an inflection point into long term decline and into a period where nothing other than Britain’s relationship with other European countries is going to be discussed for the foreseeable future.

It’s a huge waste but there we are.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

By 2022 DD will be past it and the Tories will want an election winner and there will likely be a Unionist majority at Holyrood anyway provided May has agreed the Withdrawal Agreement and Transition Period
    DD is past it now. But my point is Boris is finished and I was not talking about Holyrood I was talking about UK GE
  • SeanT said:

I hope you all have David Davis covered for next Prime Minister / Conservative leader:

And yet others are tweeting that a deal has been done (which sceptics won't like) and TMay reckons she can get it through parliament with Labour help.

Who the F knows.
    I suppose both might be true: DD to be the front man to sell the deal which is largely agreed. But as you say, who knows?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:

I think you wil

er no, yohe original referendum, or are capable of researching, but your statement is simply wrong and is another Brexit fanatic lie.
    It was a minority sport, an idee fixe, a cranky obsession, for people like ME. I think when I first joined PB in about 2005 I was virtually the only eurosceptic on the site, and I was roundly derided for my monomania. Fair enough. But I kept warning, over the years, that my obsession was grounded in reality, and that my scepticism would spread, dangerously, unless it was addressed.

Again I was ignored, and people like me were ignored. How many times did Our Genial Host chortlingly point out that the EU was ranked 493rd in the list of issues facing the country?

He's not chortling now, is he? In the end, I was right, and the europhiles got it horribly, horribly wrong.
    Nah you were a big fan of Lisbon. I remember it clearly.
  • AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Merkel really has done what one might call a Cameron....

SeanT said:

And yet others are tweeting that a deal has been done (which sceptics won't like) and TMay reckons she can get it through parliament with Labour help.

Who the F knows.
    I suppose both might be true: DD to be the front man to sell the deal which is largely agreed. But as you say, who knows?
    Maybe they'll make JRM the man to sell the deal.
  • AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

How long before Greens top the poll
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Time to hit the release switch on this government, the SPD!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    In terms of the header question, probably and no respectively.
  • Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Who the F knows.
    Maybe they'll make JRM the man to sell the deal.
    There are limits!

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

The overall balance between right and left in Germany hasn't altered much since the election. It's the composition of those balances that have changed.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771

That'll be because they ask questions in such a way as to recieve the answer they want. I tend to think of them as having a +7-10 percentage point pro-EU bias.
  • I hope you all have David Davis covered for next Prime Minister / Conservative leader:

I was just thinking yestrday that May must surely feel she needs to hand over to a Brexit PM and that David Davis is the obvious choice. It would need to be uncontested by Conservative MPs. Woud Boris hold back?
    rcs1000 said:

That'll be because they ask questions in such a way as to recieve the answer they want. I tend to think of them as having a +7-10 percentage point pro-EU bias.
    Kantar have said it can't be compared with any of their regular polls in this country. It was not past vote weighted, includes 15-18 year olds, and EU citizens.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2018
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

The overall balance between right and left in Germany hasn't altered much since the election. It's the composition of those balances that have changed.
    It is the extremes on those right and left. Same as here, we had Tory and Labour both basically liberal democracy / pro capitalist parties, now we have opened the gates to Marxist McDonnell and Co.
  • Nick Clegg taking over as head of communications and public affairs at Facebook and moving to California.

A good move by Facebook.

Will be interesting to see how Clegg gets on with Zuckerberg.
This discussion has been closed.