Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Nation once again?  Part 2 – Culture and politics

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited October 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Nation once again?  Part 2 – Culture and politics

In the  previous article I looked at economics which is quite a hurdle. This article looks at the longer term issue of the impact of putting two sets of people  together . In Ulster the past always lies ahead of us,  so somewhere along the line somebody needs to be squaring circles. The North, trapped in its history and with a victim mentality, somehow needs to fit in to a fast modernising, liberal state which increasingly wants to leave the past behind.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    The North, trapped in its history and with a victim mentality, somehow needs to fit in to a fast modernising, liberal state which increasingly wants to leave the past behind.

Now that'll be a challenge.
  • Options
    Is it truly the case that Dublin has more an impact on its hinterland than London to rUK or Paris to France? I did not realise it was quite so dominant.

Alan does sound quite frustrated at how the British governments over the years have handled the area.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    3rd, or 46th as it's known to Tory backbenchers
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,604
    kle4 said:

Is it truly the case that Dublin has more an impact on its hinterland than London to rUK or Paris to France? I did not realise it was quite so dominant.

"Dublin" usually refers to the contiguous urban area that includes South Dublin, Fingal, and Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, which combined create the traditional County of Dublin, or the Dublin Region. The Dublin Region accounts for more than 25% of the country's total population

http://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/dublin-population/
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    kle4 said:

Alan does sound quite frustrated at how the British governments over the years have handled the area.

1.9m in the Greater Dublin area out of 4.6m in RoI. Sounds pretty dominant to me.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

1.9m in the Greater Dublin area out of 4.6m in RoI. Sounds pretty dominant to me.
    As I said, I did not realise it was to that degree.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I have just thought of one good consequence of yesterday's march. We now have a riposte to Sunil's irritatingly unanswerable posting of the referendum result.

20th October

People's March 670,000.
    Leave Means Leave 1,200.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited October 2018
    Of course Protestants in Ulster would have to accept becoming part of the Republic of Ireland, which is not guaranteed if, as would be likely, Northern Irish voters voting for a United Ireland only came about because of a majority for reunification from the Catholic vote in the province with Northern Irish Protestants voting to remain part of the UK. If the Northern Ireland Assembly were scrapped and direct rule imposed from Dublin that would become even more difficult.

In the Republic Fine Gael was originally the least Republican Party, being the party of Michael Collins and the Treaty with the British. Fianna Fail was the more Republican anti Treaty party of De Valera and Sinn Fein is the most vociferous advocate of Irish unity in both the north and south of Ireland. Economically though Sinn Fein is left of FG and FF and if Irish reunification did come about it would indeed likely overtake FF and become the main opponent of FG
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,254

kle4 said:

"Dublin" usually refers to the contiguous urban area that includes South Dublin, Fingal, and Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, which combined create the traditional County of Dublin, or the Dublin Region. The Dublin Region accounts for more than 25% of the country's total population

http://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/dublin-population/
    More akin to Hungary than France.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    Excellent series of articles. Looking forward to the next one.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    'Ulster people are brusque, to the point and obstinate (with apologies to readers in Ayrshire).'

Hmmm.

Brusque, yes. Obstinate, yes.

When have we ever kept MalcolmG vaguely to the point in any thread?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

'Ulster people are brusque, to the point and obstinate (with apologies to readers in Ayrshire).'

Hmmm.

Brusque, yes. Obstinate, yes.

When have we ever kept MalcolmG vaguely to the point in any thread?

Keeping to the point is very suspect behaviour on PB.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    In some ways the most significant division in Ireland is east/west not north/south. Belfast and Dublin between them represent nearly half the population. Once you leave the east coast it’s a very empty country.
  • Options
    From previous thread:

During its 45 years in the EU, Britain has imported many tens of thousands of European laws and regulations. Many thousands more have direct effect. EU law has had absolute supremacy over British law ever since British accession. A little understood legal reality. The fabric of Europe’s legal framework is the fabric of the UK’s political life.

I’m not sure that helps the Remain argument...
  • Options

In some ways the most significant division in Ireland is east/west not north/south. Belfast and Dublin between them represent nearly half the population. Once you leave the east coast it’s a very empty country.

Cork and to a lesser extent Galway and Limerick are fairly big.
  • Options

My comments based, unlike Alanbrooke and probably yourself, on a superficial knowledge of Northern Ireland.

1. The Catholic/Republican community is on the ascendant compared with the Protestant/Unionist one these days.

2. There is a growing band of "plague on both of your houses" of mostly younger, more secular people who want Northern Ireland to be s normal place. These people mostly have an Irish identity.

3. Brexit throws the current settlement into the air. The DUP should be frightened but apparently weren't. Sinn Fein pretend to hate Brexit but actually it's a gift for them. Brexit does more for its cause of a United Ireland than decades of violence.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Superb thread header @Alanbrooke , just like the previous one.

What we are seeing in Northern Ireland is the long-term consequence of unending, unconditional fiscal transfers. I just don’t see reunification happening without a British government that will bend over backwards to smooth over the financial issues by making payments for decades into the future. A government led by Corbyn or McDonell is the best that Irish nationalists could ever hope for.

Secondly, I don’t think the Republic will be prepared to make changes to its flag, anthem, or accept the continued existence of devolved institutions and a separate jurisdiction within the island. This will make reconciliation with the Unionists very difficult, and a rejectionist minority of 15% will make government challenging.

Ultimately, I think reunification would be rejected in a referendum, even when Catholics represent over 50% of the population.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

My comments based, unlike Alanbrooke and probably yourself, on a superficial knowledge of Northern Ireland.

1. The Catholic/Republican community is on the ascendant compared with the Protestant/Unionist one these days.

2. There is a growing band of "plague on both of your houses" of mostly younger, more secular people who want Northern Ireland to be s normal place. These people mostly have an Irish identity.

3. Brexit throws the current settlement into the air. The DUP should be frightened but apparently weren't. Sinn Fein pretend to hate Brexit but actually it's a gift for them. Brexit does more for its cause of a United Ireland than decades of violence.
    3 Certainly No Deal hard border In Ireland Brexit
  • Options
    If May steps down as PM which way would she vote on Brexit issues as an MP in the Commons?
  • Options

If May steps down as PM which way would she vote on Brexit issues as an MP in the Commons?

Given May voted Remain it would certainly not be with the ERG
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    In some respects these dreadful statements help May, she is the only thing between Corbyn or fanatical Tory MPs like this one taking power
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I have just thought of one good consequence of yesterday's march. We now have a riposte to Sunil's irritatingly unanswerable posting of the referendum result.

20th October

People's March 670,000.
    Leave Means Leave 1,200.

The largest demonstration ever that Corbyn hasn't been on... (edit/ the first one, of course! I am sure he was there for the second.)
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,921
    edited October 2018
    Excellent article - top work, Mr Brooke.

My only observation is that until now the Unionists in Northern Ireland have been focused on maintaining the Union and their ascendency. If the Union ends it’s hard to think that an existential crisis won’t follow. Unionism as a political end will be dead. Some, like Arlene Foster, might resettle on the mainland; others - younger and middle class - will largely adapt and get on with it. That will leave a large rump, but maybe one that over time, and with careful management, may be reconciled. As per the previous thread, American money may smooth over many potential problems.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    Afternoon all :)

First, many thanks to Alanbrooke for two superbly written well-argued and wholly thought-provoking threads so far. Both have broadened and deepened my knowledge of Northern (and indeed Southern) Irish politics, economics and culture.

As far as unification, in the absence of a military solution, the only two alternatives would be either for the rest of the UK to throw the Northern Irish Protestants under the bus or for the south to make the north an offer it can't refuse.

I'm reminded of two notions - first, "money talks, people walk" and second "people who are busy making money are less inclined to make trouble". The preservation, continuation and perpetuation of prosperity is or are the deliverables that will make this happen. If the Northern Irish can be guaranteed their current prosperity and a continuation of said in the new Ireland, they will be in.

My other thought is whether the answer is to have Northern Ireland as part of BOTH Ireland and the United Kingdom. Before everyone starts commenting about where they were the Sunday afternoon Stodge finally went mad I'm thinking about a largely autonomous entity with a large amount of self-government but supported by and answerable to both Dublin and London which would act as mutual guarantors for the settlement.

It's rough and poorly defined but perhaps worth a Sunday afternoon's thought or two.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

20th October

People's March 670,000.
    Leave Means Leave 1,200.

The largest demonstration ever that Corbyn hasn't been on... (edit/ the first one, of course!)

And the largest ever without the SWP!

• Options
    stodge said:

First, many thanks to Alanbrooke for two superbly written well-argued and wholly thought-provoking threads so far. Both have broadened and deepened my knowledge of Northern (and indeed Southern) Irish politics, economics and culture.

As far as unification, in the absence of a military solution, the only two alternatives would be either for the rest of the UK to throw the Northern Irish Protestants under the bus or for the south to make the north an offer it can't refuse.

I'm reminded of two notions - first, "money talks, people walk" and second "people who are busy making money are less inclined to make trouble". The preservation, continuation and perpetuation of prosperity is or are the deliverables that will make this happen. If the Northern Irish can be guaranteed their current prosperity and a continuation of said in the new Ireland, they will be in.

My other thought is whether the answer is to have Northern Ireland as part of BOTH Ireland and the United Kingdom. Before everyone starts commenting about where they were the Sunday afternoon Stodge finally went mad I'm thinking about a largely autonomous entity with a large amount of self-government but supported by and answerable to both Dublin and London which would act as mutual guarantors for the settlement.

It's rough and poorly defined but perhaps worth a Sunday afternoon's thought or two.

Sounds like fudge and stodge to me?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    stodge said:

It’s neither mad nor unprecedented for two countries to share sovereignty over a territory. The practical autonomy for the region might suit everyone.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Andrew Bridgen I think.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Nah. Nobody has ever accused Boris of having a small head.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    IanB2 said:

Sounds like fudge and stodge to me?

There's nothing wrong with fudge, my friend. It's got a bad press of late but if fudge equals relative peace and prosperity I'll eat fudge all day every day.

Sometimes "the answer" isn't worth all the effort - not answering the question can be the best solution.

I think Theresa May understands this - everyone claims to want a "deal" but I suspect deep down the ideal would be for transition to go on for ever and for negotiations about the end to transition to keep minds occupied and diverted for an equal length of time.

To bring us back on topic, the only thing worse than the Irish Question would be the Irish Answer.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,703
    @Alanbrooke

Good articles. I look forward to your third. If I do have an observation, your first article listed the economic problems with an united Ireland and inferred that they precluded it. If the last decade has taught us anything, it's that people will ignore unpleasant economics in favor of fantasies when required.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,599
    The fact that May's position on the NI backstop is being openly contradicted by her Brexit Secretary is I think of great significance. As the Brexiteer now offering the most effective resistance to her failed approach, with Johnson and Davis having chosen to be sidelined, the odds of 14/1 on him succeeding her look very attractive. He appears to be daring her to sack him in the knowledge that this would trigger a challenge to her leadership, and meanwhile using her weakness to further his own claims.

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-10-21/dominic-raab-undermines-theresa-may-on-brexit-transition/
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797

GIN1138 said:
    Andrew Bridgen I think.
    Ah! :)
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,143
    viewcode said:

@Alanbrooke

Good articles. I look forward to your third. If I do have an observation, your first article listed the economic problems with an united Ireland and inferred that they precluded it. If the last decade has taught us anything, it's that people will ignore unpleasant economics in favor of fantasies when required.

inferred implied
    (A pedant writes)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Another terrific article - many thanks, Alanbrooke. There are echoes of German reunification (as the first article indicated) - West Germans felt the easterners were a bit behind the times and that support to bring them up to western levels was more of a duty than a pleasure. Conversely East Germans felt that the embrace of the west was not quite the undiluted benefit that westerners imagine, and nostalgia for aspects of the bad old days is still quite widespread. But they are getting there - it's much more one country than not. The Grim Reaper and exposure to global culture combine to smooth things out over time.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202

From previous thread:

During its 45 years in the EU, Britain has imported many tens of thousands of European laws and regulations. Many thousands more have direct effect. EU law has had absolute supremacy over British law ever since British accession. A little understood legal reality. The fabric of Europe’s legal framework is the fabric of the UK’s political life.

I’m not sure that helps the Remain argument...

It was an entertaining speech but a bizarre argument. He seemed to think we were going to repeal all those laws on Brexit which obviously we are not. In fact our law will continue to be influenced by its EU legacy for generations and it is highly likely that we will choose to adopt at least some EU law in the future of our own accord on the basis that a common rule book is a good default unless there is a reason not to.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:
    Andrew Bridgen I think.
    Ah! :)
    Probably also the source of "she better bring her own noose" comment on May and 1922.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In some respects these dreadful statements help May, she is the only thing between Corbyn or fanatical Tory MPs like this one taking power
    James Forthsyth: "It is tempting to conclude that those Tories agitating against Theresa May are all hat and no cattle. But this weekend, something does appear to have change..."
  • Options
    On topic, an excellent piece. One possibility that we might have to face up to is that some tens of thousands of Ulster men and women may well choose to come and live in the rUK as a result of unification. Which will undoubtedly add to the gaiety of the nation.

Unfortunately, I fear that they will find the modern, tolerant, equality focused UK every bit as alien as Eire, possibly even more so. The Ulster folk are indeed caught in an unpleasant time warp of their own creation. We have done them absolutely no favours by allowing ourselves to be blackmailed by the threat of bombs and killings into paying for a quiet life.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

The fact that May's position on the NI backstop is being openly contradicted by her Brexit Secretary is I think of great significance. As the Brexiteer now offering the most effective resistance to her failed approach, with Johnson and Davis having chosen to be sidelined, the odds of 14/1 on him succeeding her look very attractive. He appears to be daring her to sack him in the knowledge that this would trigger a challenge to her leadership, and meanwhile using her weakness to further his own claims.

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-10-21/dominic-raab-undermines-theresa-may-on-brexit-transition/

Probably the best route for May will be a VONC which she will still likely win, that keeps her as Tory leader for a year with no further confidence vote allowed and means she stays PM past Brexit and if most of the remaining Leavers like Leadsom, Mordaunt, Raab and McVey leave the Cabinet so be it, she and Robbins can agree the NI backstop (maybe with some vague commitment as to how it would end) and Withdrawal Agreement and Transition Period with Barnier and she can have a more united Cabinet behind her
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    FF43 said:

Excellent series of articles. Looking forward to the next one.

Hear, hear. Good stuff Alanbrooke.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cork and to a lesser extent Galway and Limerick are fairly big.
    But also on the coast.

I think this is the largest non-coastal town in Ireland:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navan
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    DavidL said:

On topic, an excellent piece. One possibility that we might have to face up to is that some tens of thousands of Ulster men and women may well choose to come and live in the rUK as a result of unification. Which will undoubtedly add to the gaiety of the nation.

Unfortunately, I fear that they will find the modern, tolerant, equality focused UK every bit as alien as Eire, possibly even more so. The Ulster folk are indeed caught in an unpleasant time warp of their own creation. We have done them absolutely no favours by allowing ourselves to be blackmailed by the threat of bombs and killings into paying for a quiet life.

Perhaps we could send all those Ulster Unionist men and women back to their ancestral homeland in Scotland, then we kill two birds with once stone
  • Options

stodge said:

It’s neither mad nor unprecedented for two countries to share sovereignty over a territory. The practical autonomy for the region might suit everyone.
    Not if it keeps them in their sink hole. They have to get that the rest of the west has moved on (apart from some of the sadder bits of greater Glasgow). We are not interested in religion, we don't care what someone wrote centuries ago about how gays or women or anyone other than us should be treated, we accept women have the right to control their own bodies even if (I at least) find their choices sometimes disappointing, we find the idea that we should turn a blind eye to non payment of rent or road tax or any other "imperialist" impost frankly bizarre, we don't see why it is acceptable to have people who operate above the law because they, or their fathers or whatever, once carried an armalite for one faction or the other.

It really is time to move on. But it won't be easy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

James Forthsyth: "It is tempting to conclude that those Tories agitating against Theresa May are all hat and no cattle. But this weekend, something does appear to have change..."
    Yes, even more hat
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    How many hours does May have left now? :p
  • Options
    geoffw said:

viewcode said:

@Alanbrooke

inferred implied
    (A pedant writes)
    OH GODSDAMMIT I MISSED THAT!

(commits seppuku immediately)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yeah, good read from Alanbrooke.
    We have done them absolutely no favours by allowing ourselves to be blackmailed by the threat of bombs and killings into paying for a quiet life.
    - that includes paying homage to the troublemakers by conceding the "backstop".
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Perhaps we could send all those Ulster Unionist men and women back to their ancestral homeland in Scotland, then we kill two birds with once stone
    That is honestly my fear. When I was offered a position in Glasgow 20 years ago we went house hunting. We looked at houses and asked about local schooling. The first question was, "well, are you a catholic or a protestant"? We decided it really wasn't for us.

Very slowly, very, very, slowly, the west coast is moving away from this nonsense. The last thing they need is 50k Protestant fundamentalists stirring it all up again. It could give us another 50 years of this nonsense.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    What kind of loser makes such comments, without even the balls to be on the record?
  • Options
    Ulster people are brusque, to the point

Certainly reminded me of some of my Scottish relations:

"Have you considered?" = "You'll be wanting (if you're lucky, 'need' more common) to....."
  • Options
    This has to be the most bonkers threat ever issued. Blazing Saddles would reject it as too ridiculous..

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1053754665446334464
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

That is honestly my fear. When I was offered a position in Glasgow 20 years ago we went house hunting. We looked at houses and asked about local schooling. The first question was, "well, are you a catholic or a protestant"? We decided it really wasn't for us.

Very slowly, very, very, slowly, the west coast is moving away from this nonsense. The last think they need is 50k Protestant fundamentalists stirring it all up again. It could give us another 50 years of this nonsense.
    Good for Gers though.
  • Options
    Fascinating pair of articles so far.

Kind of makes me think as an Englishman that we might be better off to make Northern Ireland simply be Ireland's problem and not our own.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Very slowly, very, very, slowly, the west coast is moving away from this nonsense. The last thing they need is 50k Protestant fundamentalists stirring it all up again. It could give us another 50 years of this nonsense.
    My understanding is that the Scottish Government have scenario planned a huge influx of unionist Protestant ulstermen and the possible upturn in sectarian violence against catholic communities
  • Options

Kind of makes me think as an Englishman that we might be better off to make Northern Ireland simply be Ireland's problem and not our own.

To be honest I would absolutely hate it if that happened. I like the Union just the way it is. You don't reject relatives because you don't like them.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Thanks one and all for the comments much appreciated
    It would be today my relatives drop in unexpectedly so family duties called.
    The last article which I think comes out tomorrow looks at the lessons from abroad - mostly germany and what we can learn fromit.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

DavidL said:

Yeah, good read from Alanbrooke.
    We have done them absolutely no favours by allowing ourselves to be blackmailed by the threat of bombs and killings into paying for a quiet life.
    - that includes paying homage to the troublemakers by conceding the "backstop".
    But we do Geoff, right now. Why do you think we turn a blind eye to the blatant smuggling at the present time?
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/police-and-gangsters-at-war-on-irelands-border-28472597.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Probably the best route for May will be a VONC which she will still likely win, that keeps her as Tory leader for a year with no further confidence vote allowed and means she stays PM past Brexit and if most of the remaining Leavers like Leadsom, Mordaunt, Raab and McVey leave the Cabinet so be it, she and Robbins can agree the NI backstop (maybe with some vague commitment as to how it would end) and Withdrawal Agreement and Transition Period with Barnier and she can have a more united Cabinet behind her
    She might win a vote. But her chances of doing so would be weaker if she had sacked the leading Brexiteers in her cabinet before a vote were held. Also (and by all means correct me if I am wrong) I was under the impression that the initial vote of confidence would be by secret ballot. If so, then those apparent loyalists including Remainers may not turn out to be quite so loyal as they profess to be in public.

Hunt and Javid will be wondering whether their own prospects would really be served by having to prop up a failed dead parrot for another year while her party and a large chunk of her MPs are in open revolt, and the government totally loses its ability to function without a majority for routine business. Given the risk of dragging themselves down by association as the "guilty men", they might prefer to run for the leadership in the winter of 2018/19 not 2019/20.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I did laugh when reading the previous thread, Dadao suggested a light spot of ethnic cleansing to get rid of the pieds noirs, hmm are you sure I thought ?

I wonder how another 500k Rangers supporters might affect things in Scotland, since that to me wouyld be the first port of call for many of them, Cancel Indyref2 for several generations,
  • Options

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

My understanding is that the Scottish Government have scenario planned a huge influx of unionist Protestant ulstermen and the possible upturn in sectarian violence against catholic communities
    Well, I am sure that's it covered then. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

Excellent article - top work, Mr Brooke.

My only observation is that until now the Unionists in Northern Ireland have been focused on maintaining the Union and their ascendency. If the Union ends it’s hard to think that an existential crisis won’t follow. Unionism as a political end will be dead. Some, like Arlene Foster, might resettle on the mainland; others - younger and middle class - will largely adapt and get on with it. That will leave a large rump, but maybe one that over time, and with careful management, may be reconciled. As per the previous thread, American money may smooth over many potential problems.

There is a body of unionist opinion wouldnt worry too much about a UI one the act is done, but it would be a minority from the polls Ive read. The DUPs problem is it does nothing to reach out moderate nationalists and stops the other unionists doing the same by engineering crises every so often. SF do the same in reverse.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

To be honest I would absolutely hate it if that happened. I like the Union just the way it is. You don't reject relatives because you don't like them.
    I agree. They are British and we have a moral obligation to support and help them for as long as they choose to be so. But that does not mean that they have a right to live in a rather unpleasant museum. Everything we have done since the GFA (and much before) has deepened the depth of the hole that they are in.
  • Options
    Poll published 19th October: Kantar Public Opinion
    The Conservative party maintain their +5 lead in October’s voting intentions. Scores for each party remain largely unchanged. [Among likely voters: Conservatives 41% (+1), Labour 36% (+1), Lib Dems 10% (nc), SNP 4 % (nc), Green 4% (nc), UKIP 3% (-2%), PC 1% (+1), Other 2% (+1).]

Of the 7 published polls whose fieldwork took place in October, Labour have led in just one.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2018
    who r Kantar
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    RobD said:

I think May needs to make it to the 27th of May next year to equal Brown's tenure as PM.

Should we hope for that, or wish for otherwise?
  • Options

The Conservative party maintain their +5 lead in October’s voting intentions. Scores for each party remain largely unchanged. [Among likely voters: Conservatives 41% (+1), Labour 36% (+1), Lib Dems 10% (nc), SNP 4 % (nc), Green 4% (nc), UKIP 3% (-2%), PC 1% (+1), Other 2% (+1).]

Of the 7 published polls whose fieldwork took place in October, Labour have led in just one.

And people claim the public send confusing messages. Nonsense I say.
  • Options

RobD said:

I think May needs to make it to the 27th of May next year to equal Brown's tenure as PM.

I think that is a long short. At the moment she has a month or so to overtake Campbell-Bannerman, and that's not assured.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I did laugh when reading the previous thread, Dadao suggested a light spot of ethnic cleansing to get rid of the pieds noirs, hmm are you sure I thought ?

I wonder how another 500k Rangers supporters might affect things in Scotland, since that to me wouyld be the first port of call for many of them, Cancel Indyref2 for several generations,
    I expect that some of the most ardent diehards would decamp fairly quickly without encouragement. But most Protestants would stay now, I think. And Northern Ireland is big enough and empty enough to allow for a frostily peaceful coexistence.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2018
    viewcode said:

Nor do you help your relatives by coddling and infantilising them. Nor do all relatives need to stay in the family home forever. Ultimately kids/siblings can grow up, get married and form their own happy home.

If Northern Ireland could form a happy union with the Republic that would be a joyous marriage not a tragic divorce. We could be happy relatives with the United Irish in the same way as we are with Aussies, Canadians etc
  • Options

DavidL said:

I remember in the 80s, particularly during the hunger strikes, that having my team playing Rangers (and Celtic to a lesser extent) was like going to the zoo. So many songs with so little to do with football. I was born under a Union Jack was one of the least offensive. I really, really don't want us to go back to that.
  • Options

stodge said:

Indeed Mr Meeks, but who at present is advancing that as an argument ? Personally I enjoy having two passports, access to two really good cultural heritages and flipping back and forth between the islands. It is NIs misfortune that its politicians put the past before the future and wont use the national ambiguity to their own people's advantage,
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

RobD said:

And if she survives to the anniversary of Brexit day in 2020 then I think her tenure would be one day in excess of Edward Heath's, which would be a pleasing symmetry, if nothing else.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Though 500 000 Protestant Unionists moving from Ulster to Scotland would ensure a Unionist majority in Scotland and defeat indyref2
  • Options
    To continue the family analogy ask any grandparents if they regret their own kids moving out now and starting their own families.

Northern Ireland seems perpetually stuck in the angry teenager stage. If they could move on and we could be doting grandparents then that would be a happy moment.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

I didn’t say they had worked out what todo, just that the scenario resulted in violence
  • Options

The last article which I think comes out tomorrow looks at the lessons from abroad - mostly germany and what we can learn fromit.

1) Thank you for an excellent series of articles, it was a pleasure to publish these you should become a regular

2) The final piece is set to be published overnight, assuming nothing major happens

3) Why does no one talk about an Independent Northern Ireland, it would solve so many problems,
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

I didn’t say they had worked out what todo, just that the scenario resulted in violence
    Well, there's a surprise. Sometimes I wonder if all our money is being well spent.
  • Options

3) Why does no one talk about an Independent Northern Ireland, it would solve so many problems,
    Wouldn't that relate to the money issue Alan mentioned in part 1?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

HYUFD said:

She might win a vote. But her chances of doing so would be weaker if she had sacked the leading Brexiteers in her cabinet before a vote were held. Also (and by all means correct me if I am wrong) I was under the impression that the initial vote of confidence would be by secret ballot. If so, then those apparent loyalists including Remainers may not turn out to be quite so loyal as they profess to be in public.

Hunt and Javid will be wondering whether their own prospects would really be served by having to prop up a failed dead parrot for another year while her party and a large chunk of her MPs are in open revolt, and the government totally loses its ability to function without a majority for routine business. Given the risk of dragging themselves down by association as the "guilty men", they might prefer to run for the leadership in the winter of 2018/19 not 2019/20.
    She would not sack them, they would resign once she survived the VNOC and then agreed the deal with the EU. Given the alternative to May would be PM Davis and No Deal the majority of Remainers would stick to May for hear of something worse.

Hunt and Javid can think what they want, if May goes she takes them down with her, the Tory Party will then be on a full steam ticket to No Deal Brexit and diehard Brexiteer leadership, only Davis, Boris, Mogg, Patel and maybe a now resigned Raab, Mourdant and McVey can apply, former Remainers will go down with the May ship and are deluded if they think they have a chance if May loses a confidence vote
  • Options
    Regardless of the deal or no deal arrangement, neither the UK nor Ireland are going to put physical barriers along the border betwen NI and Ireland.

The debate about how to avoid a hard border is unnecessary.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I expect that some of the most ardent diehards would decamp fairly quickly without encouragement. But most Protestants would stay now, I think. And Northern Ireland is big enough and empty enough to allow for a frostily peaceful coexistence.
    I dont disagree with that. The difference to independence was protestans were spread fairly evenly in the Free State so never had a critical mass to express their views. NI has large areas which are almost exclusively one tradition of the other.

The main question I scratch my head on is law and order. The Garda just is not geared up to coping with policing the annual riotfests in Belfast. I personally think it is such an ingrained event that they will still have to police Republican and Loyalists punch ups. Eventually both of them will see the police as the enemy and so they stay areas outside the rule of law.
  • Options

1) Thank you for an excellent series of articles, it was a pleasure to publish these you should become a regular

2) The final piece is set to be published overnight, assuming nothing major happens

3) because it is totally economically unviable?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wouldn't that relate to the money issue Alan mentioned in part 1?
    We could over them a rebate/subsidy based on them promising no violence.
  • Options

Probably due to the fiscal reasons Alanbrooke addressed in his first piece. An independent NI would lack subsidies.
  • Options

see PM
  • Options
    Follow up from the earlier post about racist abuse of an elderly black widow on Ryanair.

They have (finally) tweeted the following:

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1053918867444129797
  • Options

Probably due to the fiscal reasons Alanbrooke addressed in his first piece. An independent NI would lack subsidies.
    Doesn’t seem to deter the SNP
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    Andrew Bridgen I think.
    Wikipedia

"Bridgen has been an outspoken critic of the Speaker of the House of Commons, John Bercow. In March 2018 he suggested Bercow should resign, whilst also reporting him to the parliamentary commissioner for standards, to investigate whether he had broken the MPs’ code of conduct. An inquiry into allegations that Bercow had bullied members of staff was subsequently blocked by MPs and he remained in post.[33] In November 2017, Bridgen separately reported fellow MP Dan Poulter to the Conservative Party's newly established disciplinary committee after it was alleged he had put his hand up the skirts of an least three female MPs.[34] Poulter was subsequently cleared of inappropriate behaviour claims in March 2018.[35][36] Within Leicestershire, Bridgen has repeatedly called for disciplinary action against fellow MP Keith Vaz over a range of different issues and for him to resign."

Not all bad then.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    kle4 said:

What kind of loser makes such comments, without even the balls to be on the record?
    A frustrated macho loser. One comes across them in politics as elsewhere, though blessedly rarely.
  • Options

see PM
    Replied.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

Following the three latest polls (which have the Tories leading by between 1% and 5%) the EMA has the Tories on 39.5% and Labour on 37.8%.

This results in:
    Con 309 seats
    Lab 262 seats
    LD 17 seats
    Grn 1 seat
    PC 3 seats NI 18 seats

Tories 17 short of an overall majority. Horribly hung!

In practice the Tories could benefit from Kippers voting Tory if no UKIP candidate. Labour could also benefit from more exposure and equal air time in an election campaign. Who knows? I think we can be confident there wouldn't be a majority Labour government but roughly equal chance of a minority Tory (with DUP) or minority Labour government (assuming LDs wouldn't give C&S to the Tories).
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Following the three latest polls (which have the Tories leading by between 1% and 5%) the EMA has the Tories on 39.5% and Labour on 37.8%.

This results in:
    Con 309 seats
    Lab 262 seats
    LD 17 seats
    Grn 1 seat
    PC 3 seats NI 18 seats

In practice the Tories could benefit from Kippers voting Tory if no UKIP candidate. Labour could also benefit from more exposure and equal air time in an election campaign. Who knows? I think we can be confident there wouldn't be a majority Labour government but roughly equal chance of a minority Tory (with DUP) or minority Labour government (assuming LDs wouldn't give C&S to the Tories).
    Boundaries are to be changed though?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Regardless of the deal or no deal arrangement, neither the UK nor Ireland are going to put physical barriers along the border betwen NI and Ireland.

Not to FTA hopes, the only way Barnier will agree to that is with the backstop of SM + CU for NI and FTA for GB. May might be able to fudge the conditions in which the backstop can end if ultimately a technical solution is found to the border or a future trading relationship is agreed for the UK but without the backstop there will be no move to FTA talks and no transition period
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2018
    HYUFD said:

Not to FTA hopes, the only way Barnier will agree to that is with the backstop of SM + CU for NI and FTA for GB. May might be able to fudge the conditions in which the backstop can end if ultimately a technical solution is found to the border or a future trading relationship is agreed for the UK but without the backstop there will be no move to FTA talks and no transition period

Barnesian said:

This results in:
    Con 309 seats
    Lab 262 seats
    LD 17 seats
    Grn 1 seat
    PC 3 seats NI 18 seats

Boundaries are to be changed though?
    Not yet voted on in parliament. Would the Lords agree?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

3) because it is totally economically unviable?
    Is the official Unionist position that there's something inherently impecunious in the peoples of these smaller countries of the UK, or that the strategic oversight of successive UK governments has been less than optimal?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2018
    It seems to me that the official Labout position on the deal which May brings to the Commons will be to abstain, although some Labour MPs will vote in favour and a few against.
This discussion has been closed.