Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In contrast to new reports of a TMay confidence move YouGov gi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited October 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In contrast to new reports of a TMay confidence move YouGov give her the highest best PM rating since early June

This is getting so tiresome in sharp contrast to the PMs recovering poll ratings. It seems like every week at the moment hardline CON Brexiteers are briefing journos that they are very near to getting the 48 letters from MPs demanding a TMay conference vote.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    She should could all Scipio Africanus on the Hannibalesque ERG.
  • Options
    David Davis is an incompetent.

He was blindsided by a back stop he arranged and trumpeted.

Speaks volumes that he makes Boris look competent.

Next they’ll be touting IDS as May’s replacement.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

First? Suspicious.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    95% of the letters are in.
  • Options
    RobD said:

First? Suspicious.
    I gave you all plenty of warning there was a new thread.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Probably not far off :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably not far off :p
    But like May's deal, the final 5% may be err..
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    More evidence that the public does not hate split parties, and the conventional wisdom is wrong.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

More evidence that the public does not hate split parties, and the conventional wisdom is wrong.

What choice does the public have? The split Tories and the bipolar Labour Party.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Con leadership betting moving around. Davis was almost joint fav over weekend, now back out at 11.
  • Options
    Done by a disgruntled employee. How can you defend against that, if they need that access/information to do their job.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    So what? May as leader or not does not seem hugely important to me, getting something through parliament does and that's hard no matter what.
    notme said:

5 point con lead YouGov.

Insane or wrong.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    No Conservative leader is going to be humiliated by having a different Prime Minister when the Conservatives are in power.
    Neville Chamberlain says hello.
    I think the main takeaway from this idea is that the ERG realises it doesn't have the votes.
    Actually I think Mrs May has lost the pragmatists/One Nation wing of the party/the people who think on her worst day Mrs May is miles better than the likes of David Davis, Andrea Leadsom, Boris et al on their best days.
    Depends what "lost" means. I'll give her the rest of 2018. but fight another election? No way.
    I think May getting Brexit over the line then changing leader is a good strategy.
    It's been the strategy for a year. Getting over the line is proving problematic.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Her pride in being a "bloody difficult woman" is the problem. She thinks obstinacy is a virtue even when she has close to no support for the scheme she cooked up which now dare not speak its name.

I don't think that's quite it. If they don't think her plans are good enough they can act, it is not unreasonable for her to press ahead if they are not acting, even if her ideas are indeed bad.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I agree its tiresome but it's not just Brexiteers or her position would be stronger.
  • Options

At least in terms of polling. The public are very forgiving it seems
  • Options

What choice does the public have? The split Tories and the bipolar Labour Party.
    Other parties do exist. Even with FPTP you'd assume someone else might benefit.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    The public probably feels guilty that its vote for Brexit has dumped huge problems on the Prime Minister, who opposed it. So the approval ratings might be a sympathy vote.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    RobD said:

Done by a disgruntled employee. How can you defend against that, if they need that access/information to do their job.
    There is software that will monitor access and flag up unusual access patterns - and suspending access if desired.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

RobD said:

There is software that will monitor access and flag up unusual access patterns - and suspending access if desired.
    And if they're in charge of that software? who watches the watchers who watch the watchers who.......etc etc
  • Options
    Theresa's recovery is surely driven by some kind of sympathy vote. The public see these ludicrous and unappealing Brexity men - DD, Boris, Fox etc. - and grant that Remainer Theresa is at least trying to sort out their mess, while they just ponce around being objectionable. They'd be much less forgiving if DD or Boris actually took over. Prepare for PM Jezza were that situation ever to arise.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2018

Theresa's recovery is surely driven by some kind of sympathy vote. The public see these ludicrous and unappealing Brexity men - DD, Boris, Fox etc. - and grant that Remainer Theresa is at least trying to sort out their mess, while they just ponce around being objectionable. They'd be much less forgiving if DD or Boris actually took over. Prepare for PM Jezza were that situation ever to arise.

Much as I'd like to agree, I think there's a soupçon of projection involved in your thinking.
  • Options
    RobD said:

At work I have all that information.

The system automatically logs every time I access an individual’s details.

If I want to access the entire file or departmental details it is logged to the Finance Director for approval.
  • Options

RobD said:

And if they're in charge of that software? who watches the watchers who watch the watchers who.......etc etc
    Yes, there is some limit to how well things can be protected.
  • Options

Russell Crowe and co. managed to defeat "Scipio Africanus" in Gladiator :)
  • Options

RobD said:

At work I have all that information.

The system automatically logs every time I access an individual’s details.

If I want to access the entire file or departmental details it is logged to the Finance Director for approval.
    The High Court made a finding that Morrisons was not at fault.

So the Court of Appeal is really finding a non-delegable duty, not vicarious liability.
  • Options

So the Court of Appeal is really finding a non-delegable duty, not vicarious liability.

I shall keep that for the next time my mother tells me I should have been a lawyer. She will be forced to agree I was right. :p
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited October 2018

Wasn't he right about sequencing, though? Which predates the backstop (indeed, makes it necessary).
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Exactly what I have been hearing from non partisan people over the last couple of days. I think this is one case where the story tells you more than polling numbers. My bet if I can find somewhere to place it is that the Tories' support will plummet if they get rid of her.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

RobD said:

It's a boring job. The watchers watching the watchers are clock-watchers....
  • Options

Wasn't he right about sequencing, though? Which predates the backstop (indeed, makes it necessary).
    Don’t know. If he did think that why did he go along with such sequencing?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    kle4 said:

Really? Who can form a majority administration? Only Labour and the Tories, there are no other options. A few years ago the SNP won almost every seat in Scotland. They did not form a govt in Westminster.

You are logic-chopping Mr Kle4 - you are correct in theory but in practice, here in the real world, there are only two options and both are split.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Suspect they’ll be nodded through if they are an exact duplicate of the EU regs.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Exactly what I have been hearing from non partisan people over the last couple of days. I think this is one case where the story tells you more than polling numbers. My bet if I can find somewhere to place it is that the Tories' support will plummet if they get rid of her.
    I think you are right at the end although i'm unsure the public is engaged enough on the detail of Tory in-fighting to the degree it affects their current voting intentions. But yes a leadership contest and a new leader would reveal the divisions too starkly for anything other than a drop in support. All in all the UK is in one helluva mess.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Really? Who can form a majority administration? Only Labour and the Tories, there are no other options. A few years ago the SNP won almost every seat in Scotland. They did not form a govt in Westminster.

You are logic-chopping Mr Kle4 - you are correct in theory but in practice, here in the real world, there are only two options and both are split.
    I am doing no such thing. It is rare and remarkable but main FPTP parties do get supplanted sometimes. If both of ours are as bad as people say then we would see a sea change.

We aren't, because people don't think they are as bad as they claim.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

RobD said:

You pay them well enough so that they won't betray the company. You choose them carefully in the first place.
  • Options

It was that or resign, I presume. I assume he thought it was better to stay in the tent, not least because a resignation at that point might have collapsed the whole tent!
  • Options
    Just reviewed my Next PM/Next Con Leader betting position.

What a mess!
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

It was that or resign, I presume. I assume he thought it was better to stay in the tent, not least because a resignation at that point might have collapsed the whole tent!
    Surely it would have been an alarm bell about how he'd be pushed around though? He promised the row of the summer, folded on day 1 whether through ignorance, persuasion or changing his mind. How did he then expect to be top dog on all the strategic decisions? He's not the hardest worker but he's clearly very smart.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Surely it would have been an alarm bell about how he'd be pushed around though? He promised the row of the summer, folded on day 1 whether through ignorance, persuasion or changing his mind. How did he then expect to be top dog on all the strategic decisions? He's not the hardest worker but he's clearly very smart.
    I wonder how the negotiations would have gone with a Con majority of 70?
  • Options

What a mess!

Least you didn't errm... scoop #76 or so at 9.4 for May's departure till the year end. I still think she'll hang on till the end of the year, though every post/twitter journalist often seems to spell DOOOM.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I am doing no such thing. It is rare and remarkable but main FPTP parties do get supplanted sometimes. If both of ours are as bad as people say then we would see a sea change.

There have certainly been occasions over the past 20 years when the Lib Dems have surged, due to disillusionment with the big two.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Had any polician ever been luckier in their enemies than TMay?
  • Options

Had any polician ever been luckier in their enemies than TMay?

The same maelstrom that affects her affects them.
  • Options

What a mess!

I am reasonably ok, as long as it is one of the touted contenders and not some one from the unknown who appears from nowhere to scoop the prize, like Kwarteng.

Hunt is payday.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

tpfkar said:

Or a Lab majority?
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Much better.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

tpfkar said:

Not very differently I think. The negotiations would always have been driven by the EU and their overriding aim is to ensure the UK gets a worse deal outside the club than inside it. May might have been able to retreat from her red lines with rather more dignity, but she would still have had to retreat or jump from the cliff. Brexit could never have been an easy process even if the Tories had a majority of 200.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tpfkar said:

Or a Lab majority?
    Oh I think that's quite easy, Brexit - but remaining in the customs union. NI in the single market.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2018

What a mess!

I am reasonably ok, as long as it is one of the touted contenders and not some one from the unknown who appears from nowhere to scoop the prize, like Kwarteng.

Hunt is payday.
    My book's certainly got its bright spots, with a big payout on Javid as Next PM, and a reasonable one on Hunt. But it's a bit of a structural mess, and badly positioned if there's a change of PM without one of my Next Leader nags getting the gig.

Plus some ragged leftovers from days which now seem long past - £6 on Michael Fallon at 80/1 seemed a good bet in October last year!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

There have certainly been occasions over the past 20 years when the Lib Dems have surged, due to disillusionment with the big two.
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm not betting on a Cableasgm. Erotic or otherwise.
  • Options
    Question - who hates May more, 'true' Brexiteers or the FBPE lot ?
    Personally I think they're both large groups of people that won't listen and lack pragmatism.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Pulpstar said:

Personally I think they're both large groups of people that won't listen and lack pragmatism.

She’s either through skill or luck managing to slide a mid way between them. Fools to the left of me, jokers to the right....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I find her pretty dismal but don't hate her, and find some of the recent comments revolting.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715
    notme said:

Pulpstar said:

She’s either through skill or luck managing to slide a mid way between them. Fools to the left of me, jokers to the right....
    .... here I am stuck in the middle with EU?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm not betting on a Cableasgm. Erotic or otherwise.
    At his age, it would probably finish him...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    kle4 said:

I think there is a sympathy vote for Mrs May. I suspect quite a lot of politically disengaged people admire her for battling on against the shovel loads of stuff being heaped on her by members of her own party. If she were deposed, I think the Tory share would plummet.

For the record, after the latest YouGov poll, the EMA is now showing the Tories 2% ahead of labour.

Con 39.7
    Lab 37.6%

Con seats 313
    Lab seats 258
    LD 17
    UKIP 0
    Green 1
    SNP 40
    NI 18

Tories 13 short of an overall majority. Labour gain just one seat from Tories - Southampton Itchen.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

I think there is a sympathy vote for Mrs May. I suspect quite a lot of politically disengaged people admire her for battling on against the shovel loads of stuff being heaped on her by members of her own party. If she were deposed, I think the Tory share would plummet.

For the record, after the latest YouGov poll, the EMA is now showing the Tories 2% ahead of labour.

Con 39.7
    Lab 37.6%

Con seats 313
    Lab seats 258
    LD 17
    UKIP 0
    Green 1
    SNP 40
    NI 18

Tories 13 short of an overall majority. Labour gain just one seat from Tories - Southampton Itchen.
    I have also heard quite a few people incensed by the way May was treated at last EU summit.

Some sympathy out there in the Dog and Duck.
  • Options
    Anyway, off to see First Man film.

Please don't bring the government down while I am in the dark with my phone off.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Con 39.7
    Lab 37.6%

Con seats 313
    Lab seats 258
    LD 17
    UKIP 0
    Green 1
    SNP 40
    NI 18

I have also heard quite a few people incensed by the way May was treated at last EU summit.

Some sympathy out there in the Dog and Duck.
    I'd agree - but I think the sympathy results as much from the sticky position she finds herself in at home (rock/hard place stuff) as it does from any nastiness over the water ("she's doing the best she can in trying circumstances"). And I don't think 20 per cent on either wing of her parliamentary party give a stuff about that compared to pushing the argument their way.

I still think that she or whoever takes over will carry the can for the consequences of a bad Brexit.. whether that's because it's a rule-taking BINO or the economy tanking after some idiotic nonsense designed to avoid it.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

I find her pretty dismal but don't hate her, and find some of the recent comments revolting.
    Compared with all the alternatives she is a giant and they are pygmies.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, comrades.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

notme said:

Pulpstar said:

.... here I am stuck in the middle with EU?
    Boom....
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Compared with all the alternatives she is a giant and they are pygmies.
    That is regrettably true.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Mr. Smithson, can be hard to tell. I forget if it was Galba or Otho who was said to have been a great potential emperor, if only he had never become one.

Likewise, Julian was plucked from academic pursuits yet became a very competent Caesar (somewhat iffier as an Augustus).

Edited extra bit: if it were*.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Whoever went with the noose/show trial language seems to have done her a small favour, some MPs rallying round today.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Although at those times, the LibDems had a, what's it called, a "leader".
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Does May have any supporters?

To use a football analogy, there is a hardcore bunch of Ultras in the away end, and the rest of the ground is full of neutrals.
  • Options
    Mr. P, is that accurate?

I would've gone for a heart surgery comparison myself.

Mr. Pulpstar, they're a masterclass in backfiring idiocy, as May is with jelly-spined capitulation and total lack of foresight (alas for us we have Prometheus' brother acting as her muse).
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I do occasionally have the suspicion that the famed "Cleggasm" of the 2010 debates may have saved the Conservative Party from the fate of the Liberals in the 1920s.

Had that not occurred and Cameron achieved his expected majority in 2010, he'd have governed alone and the Conservatives taken all the price of power, while the Lib Dems would have been untainted by compromise. Had Cameron then gone for a Brexit referendum as once promised, we could have had all this a couple of years earlier, but with a far stronger and more credible Lib Dem third party.

That could have got interesting.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Although at those times, the LibDems had a, what's it called, a "leader".
    Not to mention a few credible alternative policies.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Showing results in the polling for them then
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I do occasionally have the suspicion that the famed "Cleggasm" of the 2010 debates may have saved the Conservative Party from the fate of the Liberals in the 1920s.

Had that not occurred and Cameron achieved his expected majority in 2010, he'd have governed alone and the Conservatives taken all the price of power, while the Lib Dems would have been untainted by compromise. Had Cameron then gone for a Brexit referendum as once promised, we could have had all this a couple of years earlier, but with a far stronger and more credible Lib Dem third party.

Would Cameron have gone for it in his first term?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Would Cameron have gone for it in his first term?
    I think it might have depended on if UKIP surged as they did. Cameron does seem to have always had the instincts of a high-stakes gambler, after all.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited October 2018
    I bow to no one in my disillusionment with PM May. However, this not the right time for a defenestration, and it's irresponsible of the backbench Ultras to be agitating for one. Neither we nor the EU are going away; there is plenty of time for our relations to evolve after we've left. That's hopeful for both Leavers and Remainers.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It’s more likely he’d have lost office in the 2015GE to a Lab/LD coalition, as there’d have been no human shield.

But, I expect a Conservative majority Government would have been forced to be more eurosceptic and better able to defend/mitigate against the rise of UKIP.

So possibly swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

What a mess!

As of today's date I'm well placed unless:

1) Jeremy Corbyn is next Prime Minister
    2) Jacob Rees-Mogg is next Prime Minister
    3) David Miliband is next Prime Minister
    4) Rishi Sunak becomes next Prime Minister without also being next Conservative leader.

My concerns are in that order.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Julian Smith has done an absolubtely first rate job as the chief whip with Brexit thus far. Probably why he kept his job after the pairing 'fiasco' (Though given the tightness of the vote may have been intentional)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Julian Smith has done an absolubtely first rate job as the chief whip with Brexit thus far. Probably why he kept his job after the pairing 'fiasco' (Though given the tightness of the vote may have been intentional)
    The Tories could do with a Walter Harrison. He provided some Labour MPs with disguises so that they could vote twice.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

What a mess!

4) Rishi Sunak becomes next Prime Minister without also being next Conservative leader.

I have three betting concerns:

1) May surviving till the end of the year
    2) May surviving till the end of the year
    3) Tester holding Montana (Which has seen no polling in ages)
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    A very good friend of mine who is a london MP told me today that he and others who are Brexiteers have spoken to the likes of Steve Baker and Mogg and told them to stop boxing TM in and give her some room to manoeuver because failure to do so will lead in total failure.
  • Options

What a mess!

Next PM is reasonably good for me, next Con leader not so much... though I have been trying to play them against each other, which might prove dangerous in some of the wilder scenarios. Next Labour leader is the best - I'm still waiting to collect on the short-odds Eagle, Smith & Watson lays from 2016!!

Corbyn, Rees-Mogg, Johnson and Leadsom are all max red. I'm annoyed at having given away much of my Davis green, though I think that's still pretty unlikely I could have got a much better price for it.

Sajid is a v good result; my most plausible jackpot is Matt Hancock (there's still a chunk at 85 on next PM; not mine!)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    I agree.

I understand he has asked Tory MPs not to rely on being paired, i.e. bums on seats where possible.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    timmo said:

A very good friend of mine who is a london MP told me today that he and others who are Brexiteers have spoken to the likes of Steve Baker and Mogg and told them to stop boxing TM in and give her some room to manoeuver because failure to do so will lead in total failure.

If "total failure" means no Brexit, do they have a view on how that might come about?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    May’s 14 point lead is among her highest since the GE - the highest being +15. Unfortunately the Tories are stupid enough to dump her.
  • Options

timmo said:

If "total failure" means no Brexit, do they have a view on how that might come about?
    General election leading to corbyn winning and being forced into second referendum methinks.

For what it's worth, I agree. If May falls the risk of 'No Brexit' is very much increased.
  • Options
    timmo said:

If they think a Mayite Brexit is worse than no Brexit they should keep going. If not they should not.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

May’s 14 point lead is among her highest since the GE - the highest being +15. Unfortunately the Tories are stupid enough to dump her.

They will not dump her
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Mr. Smithson, can be hard to tell. I forget if it was Galba or Otho who was said to have been a great potential emperor, if only he had never become one.

Likewise, Julian was plucked from academic pursuits yet became a very competent Caesar (somewhat iffier as an Augustus).

Edited extra bit: if it were*.

I think that was actually Flavius Punctilious Egregious Ridiculous.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, I agree with Mike that now would be a stupid time to dump May for many reasons.

However, Westminster has its own rhythms and just because May is relatively popular in the country doesn't mean she'll survive. MPs need to weigh up not just what would happen were May to lose the vote but what would happen if she won it.

To my mind, by far the best option is for her to step down next summer (and if she won't go voluntarily, to be pushed then). There is insufficient impetus on domestic policy and what instincts for action she has are often bad ones. She certainly cannot be allowed to fight another general election.

However, if a vote comes before then, it's almost certain that if she wins, she will either do so by a narrow enough margin that her authority is shot, or by a big enough margin to see her through future threats. The former should lead to her resignation anyway, the latter would see her through to 2022. But if she cannot be allowed to go through to 2022, then MPs who would otherwise back her will still need to vote against that outcome and hope that they can rally around a sensible option to succeed her. For that reason if a vote is called, I reckon it's likely that she'd lose (I'd make it about a 4/7 shot at the moment), whatever the other risks and consequences.
This discussion has been closed.