Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The criminal investigation into Arron Banks/LeaveEU funding wo

13»

Comments

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    kle4 said:

That's even up for debate?! Why wouldn't it? Visually it looks strange for it to be after. Certainly it was not something anyone ever upbraided us for at Uni, and they were quite hot on most referencing.

The one that gets me, and I'm sure there is a reason for it I just do not know, is putting two spaces after a full stop. I have to change so many reports which do that, my brain cannot accept it.
    This excellent book includes an explanation of where that convention came from. It's a legacy of the old-fashioned mechanical typewriter, and was used to clearly identify the end of a sentence, where single spaces would appear after the letters i and l.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CV5ZSFR/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

Apple, the world’s first company to be valued at $1 trillion, continues to grow at speed and has announced a double-digit increase in revenue.

Slightly exceeding projected revenues, with $62.9bn, the tech giant is up roughly 20% over last year.

The CEO, Tim Cook, and CFO, Luca Maestri, cited strong performances from services like iCloud, Apple Music, and the App Store, which reached an all time high of $10bn.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/nov/01/apple-revenue-report-quarter-record-breaking?CMP=twt_gu

But their devices don't work in the presence of Helium. fans are hyperventilating over the rumour their next version won't work in the presence of oxygen ...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/helium-implicated-in-weird-iphone-malfunctions/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dear oh dear Mr Eagles.

It's as well for you you were at Cambridge rather than a University that cared about such things.
    I love the Oxford comma.
    For myself I prefer an Irish redhead, but tastes differ.
    I married a quarter Irish redhead.
    Do you mean she was a quarter Irish and a redhead, or a quarter of her head was Irish and red?

The latter has conjured a strange image...
    A quarter Irish and a redhead.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

That's even up for debate?! Why wouldn't it? Visually it looks strange for it to be after. Certainly it was not something anyone ever upbraided us for at Uni, and they were quite hot on most referencing.

The one that gets me, and I'm sure there is a reason for it I just do not know, is putting two spaces after a full stop. I have to change so many reports which do that, my brain cannot accept it.
    I always put two spaces after a full stop. It's just a habit, probably first learned by two finger typing on a typewriter. It just looks better with a bit of extra space between sentences.
    The real argument is tabs or spaces in computer code.

The correct answer, of course, is spaces. Two spaces, for the purist. Four for the splitters.

(I have been responsible for writing coding style commandments guides.)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dear oh dear Mr Eagles.

It's as well for you you were at Cambridge rather than a University that cared about such things.
    I love the Oxford comma.
    Do you mean she was a quarter Irish and a redhead, or a quarter of her head was Irish and red?

Harl O'Quinn perhaps?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    kle4 said:

When I first started work in an office, I was taught by the typists (remember them?) that you should always put two spaces after a full-stop. I have never forgotten that and imho it makes typed text much easier to read.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970

Academic convention, buttressed by grammar and aesthetics, would suggest after.
    Not knowing anything about academic convention, and precious little more about grammar or aesthetics, I'd say it depends. My own style - as much as I have one - is to put small footnotes such as references before a full stop, and larger ones, such as explanations, afterwards.

My thinking being that small footnotes such as references are almost part of the sentence, and longer ones, which are almost stand-alone pieces of text that can be read on their own are not part of the footnoted sentence.

But this is complicated by what happens when references occur in the middle (1) of the sentence, rather than the end (2).

Then again, I'm probably a heretic. ;)

(1) This is roughly two-thirds of the way through the sentence.
    (2) This is the end of the sentence, aside from an ascii 02E.
    The MHRA (Modern Humanities Research Association) tell writers that they should never indicate a footnote mid-sentence. It's a good discipline, and stops you writing sentences that are too long. That the footnote comes after the full-stop is not even a matter of debate as far as they're concerned.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Pro_Rata said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dear oh dear Mr Eagles.

I love the Oxford comma.

Harl O'Quinn perhaps?
    Nice one, if perhaps an excess of Wimsey.

Good night.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

I always put two spaces after a full stop. It's just a habit, probably first learned by two finger typing on a typewriter. It just looks better with a bit of extra space between sentences.
    Can we all at least agree that fully justified text can far too often make long paragraphs harder to read, and far too often results in really oddly kerning?

whynotjustreturntoclassicallatinstyletextwithnospacesbe
    tweenthewordsorpunctuationonlyunlikethisthewordorder
    mightnotmatchthesentencestructureatall

(for those unwilling to read that mishmash, I was just thinking of old latin texts where there were no spaces between words, or punctuation to mark the end of a sentence.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dear oh dear Mr Eagles.

I love the Oxford comma.

A quarter Irish and a redhead.
    "It's a buck and a quarter quarter-staff Irish, but I'm not telling him that!"
  • Options
    edited November 2018

kle4 said:

When I first started work in an office, I was taught by the typists (remember them?) that you should always put two spaces after a full-stop. I have never forgotten that and imho it makes typed text much easier to read.
    Each to their own - I have never noticed it making things easier to read, for me it just looks likethere's too big a gap between sentences.

Not knowing anything about academic convention, and precious little more about grammar or aesthetics, I'd say it depends. My own style - as much as I have one - is to put small footnotes such as references before a full stop, and larger ones, such as explanations, afterwards.

My thinking being that small footnotes such as references are almost part of the sentence, and longer ones, which are almost stand-alone pieces of text that can be read on their own are not part of the footnoted sentence.

But this is complicated by what happens when references occur in the middle (1) of the sentence, rather than the end (2).

The MHRA (Modern Humanities Research Association) tell writers that they should never indicate a footnote mid-sentence. It's a good discipline, and stops you writing sentences that are too long. That the footnote comes after the full-stop is not even a matter of debate as far as they're concerned.
    See, now I know they are talking nonsense - if I came to believe sentences could be too long I would have to give up all communication right now! Next thing they'll tell me is paragraphs should not be 300-400 words long.

Though in all honesty, I find planning officers are among the worse for very very long sentences and paragraphs.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Before the full stop for me.

Each to their own - I have never noticed it making things easier to read, for me it just looks likethere's too big a gap between sentences.

See, now I know they are talking nonsense - if I came to believe sentences could be too long I would have to give up all communication right now! Next thing they'll tell me is paragraphs should not be 300-400 words long.

Though in all honesty, I find planning officers are among the worse for very very long sentences and paragraphs.
    Having too many words is a far more common and unhelpful problem than having too many spaces.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

I believe it’s something to do with typewriters
  • Options
    Thirty or so years ago the question was whether to kern or not to kern.

We haven't come far ...

https://type.method.ac/#
  • Options
    In Tracey Crouch the Tories have finally found a principled minister. That will never do, she'll have to go!

Oh...
  • Options
    Interesting appointment
    Brazil's far-right president-elect Jair Bolsonaro has convinced prominent anti-corruption judge Sergio Moro to lead the country's justice ministry.

Mr Moro said on Thursday it was an "honour" to be asked to be the minister overseeing justice and public security.

But his appointment is likely to fuel allegations that his high-profile anti-fraud probe was politically motivated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46063656
  • Options

We haven't come far ...

Great little game - thanks! I scored 85/100 overall but I got a bit lazy with some of the longer words.

I got into wood letter carving a few years back (a deeply satisfying pastime) and soon discovered biggest secrect to success is getting the kerning right.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    WTF language is “begun forward progress”?

What about “started work”?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I seem to recall hearing that movie being on a list of films which, at one time, had really bizarre sequel scripts in the works, along with Forrest Gump 2.

Whatever, Ridley Scott directed my favourite movie of the past 10 years, so he gets a pass on a lot from me.

Even though Blade Runner sucked.
  • Options

We haven't come far ...

Great little game - thanks! I scored 85/100 overall but I got a bit lazy with some of the longer words.

I got into wood letter carving a few years back (a deeply satisfying pastime) and soon discovered biggest secrect to success is getting the kerning right.
    I agree, bit it's odd. Non-proportional fonts can be fine and are utterly readable (in fact, I think most people prefer them when coding). However kerned fonts are more aesthetically pleasing - until the kerning rules are broken in even a minor way, in which case they can look hideous.
  • Options
    Wish someone would do a Master & Commander follow-up... It's not as if there isn't enough source material.
  • Options
    Charles said:

WTF language is “begun forward progress”?

What about “started work”?
    In fairness, it sounds like it is some way down the pipeline, so he personally probably hasn't started work on it in much of a meaningful way.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited November 2018

NEW THREAD and I'm not claiming the first.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    edited November 2018
    Mikus Smithsonius: Are you ready to do your duty for PB?

rcs1000: Yes, father.

Mikus Smithsonius: You will not be Moderator.

rcs1000: Which wiser, older man is to take my place?

Mikus Smithsonius: My powers will pass to TSE, to hold in trust until the forum is ready to rule once more. PB is to be a republic again.

rcs1000: TSE?

Mikus Smithsonius: Yes.

[Mikus Smithsonius tries to comfort rcs1000 by reaching out his hand to touch him on the face but rcs1000 pulls his head away from Mikus Smithsonius' hand in disgust]

Mikus Smithsonius: My decision disappoints you?

rcs1000: You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: Wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on Youtube, but... there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then it was as if you didn't want me for your son.

Mikus Smithsonius: Oh, rcs1000. You go too far.

rcs1000: I search the faces of the gods... for ways to please you, to make you proud. One kind word, one full hug... where you pressed me to your chest and held me tight. Would have been like the sun on my heart for a thousand years. What is it in me that you hate so much?

Mikus Smithsonius: Shh, rcs1000.

rcs1000: All I've ever wanted was to live up to you, OGH. Father.

Mikus Smithsonius: [gets down on his knees] rcs1000, your faults as a son is my failure as a father.

[Mikus opens up his arms to rcs1000 and gives him a hug]

rcs1000: [Commodus hugs Mikus and cries] Father. I would have Brexit the whole world... if you would only love me!

[rcs1000 then goes off to unplug every single one of the PB servers...]
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926

Tom Newton Dunn
    ‏Verified account @tnewtondunn
    58s59 seconds ago

The rail network is now so bad it can't get Cabinet ministers to @bbcquestiontime. Liz Truss, stuck on a stranded train, is a no show #bbcqt
This discussion has been closed.