Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mid Terms 2018 : Hour by hour, state by state, your timetable

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

RobD said:

twitter.com/jdportes/status/1059878831362838530

It's a fake? :o
    Yes Senator Vreenak.
    My bad, not enough a's.... :D
  • Nice article, but it seems vanishingly unlikely that the Dems would be up one seat in the Senate whilst failing to gain the House. If the polls have underestimated the GOP, or underestimated enthusiasm from Trump's core support, they have done so for both Senate and House. Just 16 Democrat House gains would make the GOP extremely confident in North Dakota, Indiana, Missouri, and even Florida.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    rcs1000 said:

Steris today the largest company in our industry and a multi billion dollar company announced it is moving registered HQ from the UK to Ireland due to Brexit. Not sure how much tax revenue this will cost the UK but if they are moving when will others go. Ireland has a good reason for talks to fail and a hard Brexit to happen.

Recent economic sentiment data has been tough across all sectors. Are we heading for a self imposed recession? I get the feeling TM is running out of time.

It's the double taxation / withholding tax issue that I keep banging on about.
    I thought you voted Leave?
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Pulpstar said:

Dominic Raab is closing down Boris Johnson all the time in the next Prime Minister and next Conservative leader as the Brexiteer candidate of choice on the Betfair market.

If we see crossover, can we expect his price then to shorten very markedly indeed?

I've got him as red in the book, and can't see the big short odds case for him. If Brexit works, May is going nowhere. If it doesn't then he's down with the Govt ship. Id have the big offices of state (Hunt, Javid) ahead of him.
    I don't particularly rate him to be honest. Looks like another false favourite to me
    He's close to both Michael Gove and David Davis, I can see them both endorsing him

If it happens then JohnO becomes the most influential PBer of all time.
    I thought ‘Archer Australia’ and ‘Mortimer’ were considered the only serious contenders for the accolade.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

twitter.com/jdportes/status/1059878831362838530

It's a fake? :o
    Yes Senator Vreenak.
    My bad, not enough a's.... :D

Will you be rooting for Trumpton tonight Rob?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    More proof that we are governed by morons.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,776
    As an aside, does anybody know what's happened to Plato?

I know she's banned from here. And then she was banned from Twitter. And then she migrated to Gab. And then six months ago. *Poof* she stopped.

Does anybody know if she's OK?
    rcs1000 said:

I know she's banned from here. And then she was banned from Twitter. And then she migrated to Gab. And then six months ago. *Poof* she stopped.

Was s/he ever ‘okay’? If her online persona was a genuine reflection of her real persona (highly doubtful, admittedly) she was in need of serious help.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Georgia sounds so Democratic and civilised.

https://twitter.com/Teedurful/status/1059837351608889344?s=19

Took 4 hours before people could vote.

Multiple reports of precincts with non functional machines.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

House: +32 (Dems take control)
    Senate Rep + 1 (ND) (GOP retain control)

I think the Republicans will take Missouri too, and have a good shot at Indiana. West Virginia, Florida and Montana will, I suspect, stay Democrat.

On the other side of the equation, I think the Dems will probably sneak Nevada, and may also grab Arizona.

My central assumption is R + 1 in the Senate, but I think R + 2 is nearly as likely.
    I think you're broadly right, but the Ds will just hold MO and ID. I am still hoping for an upset in TN or (please!) TX but I doubt it'll happen.
    That's the thing, isn't it?

Is it possible that the Dems nab both Nevada and Arizona, while only losing ND? Absolutely. And both TN and TX are theoretically possible. Heck, Heidi could hold on in ND, and TN flip.

It's not likely, but it's possible.
    I was just reading that Heitkamp took ND in 2012 despite being down in every single pre-election poll. She’s more down in the 2018 polls though so she’s probably a goner nonetheless.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    rcs1000 said:

Is Archer banned from here now?
    edited November 2018
    rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

House: +32 (Dems take control)
    Senate Rep + 1 (ND) (GOP retain control)

I think the Republicans will take Missouri too, and have a good shot at Indiana. West Virginia, Florida and Montana will, I suspect, stay Democrat.

On the other side of the equation, I think the Dems will probably sneak Nevada, and may also grab Arizona.

My central assumption is R + 1 in the Senate, but I think R + 2 is nearly as likely.
    I think you're broadly right, but the Ds will just hold MO and ID. I am still hoping for an upset in TN or (please!) TX but I doubt it'll happen.
    That's the thing, isn't it?

Is it possible that the Dems nab both Nevada and Arizona, while only losing ND? Absolutely. And both TN and TX are theoretically possible. Heck, Heidi could hold on in ND, and TN flip.

It's not likely, but it's possible.
    I was just reading that Heitkamp took ND in 2012 despite being down in every single pre-election poll. She’s more down in the 2018 polls though so she’s probably a goner nonetheless.
    I don't think she was down in every pre-election poll. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_North_Dakota,_2012
    Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,468
    Anazina said:

rcs1000 said:

Was s/he ever ‘okay’? If her online persona was a genuine reflection of her real persona (highly doubtful, admittedly) she was in need of serious help.
    She has a blog that again hasn't been posted to for sometime but it does show her activity and she seems to visit here. Just looked and it says she was here 3 hours ago.
  • Alistair said:

Jim Crow would be proud
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    When are we going to send election observers over there?

Looks quite "Banana Republic"...
    Anazina said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, a nasty piece of work. Good riddance to bad rubbish!
  • The polling is far different to the 2016 election, where most polls herded around a point that slightly understated Trump and overstated Clinton. On last night's evidence, there is no herding this year, with polls ranging from +15 D to +1 R.

There will not be a systemic polling error this year, but some pollsters are going to have their reputations trashed in 24 hours.

The polling is far different to the 2016 election, where most polls herded around a point that slightly understated Trump and overstated Clinton. On last night's evidence, there is no herding this year, with polls ranging from +15 D to +1 R.

There will not be a systemic polling error this year, but some pollsters are going to have their reputations trashed in 24 hours.

24?

We'll start knowing in about four and a bit hours.
    SeanT said:

Dominic Raab is closing down Boris Johnson all the time in the next Prime Minister and next Conservative leader as the Brexiteer candidate of choice on the Betfair market.

If we see crossover, can we expect his price then to shorten very markedly indeed?

Raab is quietly impressive, articulate, sounds and looks the part, is not an old Etonian, he IS a grammar schoolboy, and has a refugee Jewish ancestry/backstory. He is a bit short, I think, but hey, you can't have it all.

If the Tories are looking for fresh blood, and a proper Brexiteer (but not a loon), he's got a very good chance.

VALUE.
    Corbyn will destroy Raab, especially in any election campaign. To be honest, May is your best bet...
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

I've got him as red in the book, and can't see the big short odds case for him. If Brexit works, May is going nowhere. If it doesn't then he's down with the Govt ship. Id have the big offices of state (Hunt, Javid) ahead of him.
    I don't particularly rate him to be honest. Looks like another false favourite to me
    He's close to both Michael Gove and David Davis, I can see them both endorsing him

I thought ‘Archer Australia’ and ‘Mortimer’ were considered the only serious contenders for the accolade.
    Hey, I'm clinging to your 'most patronising' sobriquet.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    SeanT said:

Raab is quietly impressive, articulate, sounds and looks the part, is not an old Etonian, he IS a grammar schoolboy, and has a refugee Jewish ancestry/backstory. He is a bit short, I think, but hey, you can't have it all.

If the Tories are looking for fresh blood, and a proper Brexiteer (but not a loon), he's got a very good chance.

VALUE.
    I find him quite seriously boring to be honest. I accept that there are worse traits in a politician and an extraordinary number of them are on show in both parties at the present time but, blimey, he makes Hammond look lively.
    SeanT said:

proper Brexiteer (but not a loon)
    No such thing exists.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.
    I find him quite seriously boring to be honest. I accept that there are worse traits in a politician and an extraordinary number of them are on show in both parties at the present time but, blimey, he makes Hammond look lively.
    I have always found him a dull and uninspiring plodder. I cannot see much notable in terms of cabinet career, but then I saw much the same in May but the Tory boys loved her. At least until she blew the election.

SeanT said:

Anazina said:

rcs1000 said:

That's far too harsh. She was a bit lonely and quite poor, I think - and sometimes went over the top after a sherry or three - but clever and interesting, too.

Physician heal etc
    I’m suspect she is perfectly sane IRL (hence the qualifier in parentheses) - she just presented as seriously troubled, were one to take her posts at face value!
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Most influential, most patronising.

Rumour on the street is you can have it all*

*lyrical reference for 90s clubbers.
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.
    I have always found him a dull and uninspiring plodder. I cannot see much notable in terms of cabinet career, but then I saw much the same in May but the Tory boys loved her. At least until she blew the election.

I don't know if I qualify as a Tory boy or not but a choice between her and the blessed mother had me not much short of despair.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Most influential, most patronising.

Rumour on the street is you can have it all*

*lyrical reference for 90s clubbers.
    Mortimer can be a bit patronising for a youngster.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.
    He's left no impression on me at all so far. While I'm not in the Boris fan club, I feel like having gone with the boring and safe option last time the Tories will want someone with a bit more pizzazz, since some seem to be concerned about Corbyn's charisma.
    I am coming to terms with the fact that I’m going to stay up, for a bit, to watch the midterms.

I usually end up with Fox because their mathematicians are better, and bolder, than the other networks.

Which channel is recommended? I have full fat cable so have access to several American channels that outside election time just gather dust.
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.
    OK he's not the wittiest either, but he does evince intelligent competence. Which is lacking in almost everyone else.

That said he will only reach the final two as the necessary Brexiteer candidate, and I think a Remainer will probably win the final round, if only to unite the party after a traumatic Brexit (and it's gonna be traumatic, whatever).

I cannot think of any other outright Brexiteer with the the momentum. BoJo has blown it. Davis is too old. Hannan isn't even a candidate. There surely has to be a Brexiteer in the final, so Raab it is. Then I would expect someone like Javid to win.
    I think it depends on if the true believers make a distinction, as I do, between Brexiteers (who are more gung ho and bullish, and more committed) and Brexiters (who want to leave or now support leave, but are more flexible about how) and if Raab is still seen as being positive enough for the Brexiteers. To hear some tell it anyone who has remained in the Cabinet has ruined themselves in the eyes of the true believers, but I could see a Raab being the stronger leave option vs a Javid type.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    House Forecast: Dem +37 (DEM majority of 24)
    Senate Forecast: Dem -1(GOP majority of 4)
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.
    OK he's not the wittiest either, but he does evince intelligent competence. Which is lacking in almost everyone else.

That said he will only reach the final two as the necessary Brexiteer candidate, and I think a Remainer will probably win the final round, if only to unite the party after a traumatic Brexit (and it's gonna be traumatic, whatever).

I cannot think of any other outright Brexiteer with the the momentum. BoJo has blown it. Davis is too old. Hannan isn't even a candidate. There surely has to be a Brexiteer in the final, so Raab it is. Then I would expect someone like Javid to win.
    Javid I find genuinely interesting, a Tory who can think and reach outside the box. I would be delighted if he was the next leader. Raab, meh.

I think and hope (or possibly hope and think) that after next March the distinction between leavers and remainers will be less important. If that is the case I see Raab fading away, not least because his job will have disappeared and it is unlikely that May will feel the need to promote him. In my view people like Hunt will come to the fore in such a scenario. Who Gove backs will be very important.
  • rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    I hope to god no one ever tries to introduce voting machines in the UK. I am a Puritan as far as technology and voting goes, I was against all those New Labour initiatives to explore alternative voting methods back when they were in power. As soon as you introduce technology to the voting process you introduce something that is far easier to manipulate.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited November 2018
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.

Outsider is Esther McVey. I understand the baggage of her partner but she is well in with IDS et al. She also has I think steet smarts, the opposition are having a go on UC and so far she has avoided any accusations sticking.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,589
    murali_s said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    When are we going to send election observers over there ?
    It’s OK, apparently Russia already has.

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2018
    SeanT said:

Anazina said:

rcs1000 said:

That's far too harsh. She was a bit lonely and quite poor, I think - and sometimes went over the top after a sherry or three - but clever and interesting, too.

Physician heal etc
    I believe back in the day a number of PBers met her in person and didn’t think anything out of the ordinary. Wasn’t she also PB poster of the year at one point?

It was only when she went big on the Trump conspiracy sites that people started to wonder what the hell was going on.
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.

I think and hope (or possibly hope and think) that after next March the distinction between leavers and remainers will be less important.
    It's not as ridiculous as some may think it sounds. After all, when May was making hard Brexit noises and huddling up to the harder crowd there were fewer complaints about how a former remainer could not possibly deliver true Brexit. Once moved on to the next stage there will be plenty of arguments about direction (and how to avoid government collapse), but perhaps the divergent stances of some leavers and some remainers as now will expand further and make it less of an issue.

But I fear that as so many will not like the agreement to get to the next stage, and it probably needs to rely on Labour votes or highly reluctant Brexiteers all but forced into it, that the bitterness and need, for some, to retain the distinction will continue.
  • On the midterms, I’m starting to think we’re going to see an extreme result. The turnout factor might skew what the pollsters have been saying. At this moment in time I can see a Dem tsunami (big gains in the house and maybe even a tie or better in the senate) OR a rep hold of both houses. I’m not sure I see the oft-predicted modest dem gains to get a small house majority, coupled with a GOP narrow senate hold.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,589

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    I hope to god no one ever tries to introduce voting machines in the UK. I am a Puritan as far as technology and voting goes, I was against all those New Labour initiatives to explore alternative voting methods back when they were in power. As soon as you introduce technology to the voting process you introduce something that is far easier to manipulate.
    They also break down:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/06/wet-ballots-new-york-2018-elections-965331
  • rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    A returning officer made the best argument against electronic voting.

'Electronic voting would deny the voters the opportunity of drawing a penis against a candidate's name, or an assortment of rude words against the name of a candidate or candidates'
    edited November 2018

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.

Outsider is Esther McVey. I understand the baggage of her partner but she is well in with IDS et al. She also has I think steet smarts, the opposition are having a go on UC and so far she has avoided any accusations sticking.
    I just don't get her either. And, whether it is her fault or not, UC is making the Titanic look positively seaworthy after it had its unfortunate disagreement with the lump of ice. She is all too likely to end up going down with the ship (which will teach her to be friends with IDS).
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.

'Electronic voting would deny the voters the opportunity of drawing a penis against a candidate's name, or an assortment of rude words against the name of a candidate or candidates'
    You can understand why Trump likes them then......
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.
    He's left no impression on me at all so far. While I'm not in the Boris fan club, I feel like having gone with the boring and safe option last time the Tories will want someone with a bit more pizzazz, since some seem to be concerned about Corbyn's charisma.
    There is literally no one in the front ranks (or second ranks) of the parliamentary Tory party with any genuine charisma, apart from Boris (who has surely shot his own fox), and maybe Patel (who is too strident and rightwing, tho also very milfy)

If you've spotted some charisma, let me know. It would cheer me up.

The same, of course, goes for Labour. That's why magic gramps Corbyn stands out, just by being a grizzled and grumpy old Trot in a vest, he is different. That's all it takes, in this diminished era.
    I think your analysis of Corbyn points to the answer for the Tories - one of them needs to try to stand out in some way. In a leadership contest even those who are relatively experienced should get a chance to try to reinvent their image somewhat, and it's clear for instance that Javid has tried to grab some attention since his promotion in a way which will allow him to do so. Being not utterly boring, and reasonably engaging, may be sufficient to win the day in the Tory contest. Actually being able to counter the Corbyn campaigning fervour (even if matching it is not likely) will be a different issue of course.
    rcs1000 said:

You have the power - unban her and see if she is lurking....

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    I don't really see what real benefits they are supposed add to our elections at least, while having a bunch more potential negatives to add to the mix.
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

rcs1000 said:

Seconded
  • SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.

Thing with McVey is (possibly because she’s been stuck on some tough jobs, possibly because she’s too blunt) she’s got a bit of a reputation as an unfeeling and uncaring person when it comes to benefits. For the same reason as the poll tax haunted Howard, I wonder if her days in DWP will haunt her forever more. (I concede that Howard did at least become leader).

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    Agreed, but in the UK the rule is no more than two elections can be held on the same day. When I go to vote this evening it'll be for US Senator, US Representative, Governor & Lt. Governor (single ticket), State Senator, State Representative, Town Council-man/-woman and Superior Court Judge. That's quite a small ballot compared to some areas. So in NYS we vote by filling in a paper ballot multi-choice style, which is read by an optical reader and tallied. The paper ballots are retained to provide a paper trail. I think it's a sensible compromise.
    edited November 2018
    What was Plato banned from twitter for? On here she went down the rabbit hole of constantly posting fake news and conspiracy sites links, but by the standards of twitter where the likes of ISIS supporters don’t get banned, her stuff must have got really dark or they thought she was a Russian bit?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    murali_s said:

Anazina said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, a nasty piece of work. Good riddance to bad rubbish!
    You really are quite vile
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

On the midterms, I’m starting to think we’re going to see an extreme result. The turnout factor might skew what the pollsters have been saying. At this moment in time I can see a Dem tsunami (big gains in the house and maybe even a tie or better in the senate) OR a rep hold of both houses. I’m not sure I see the oft-predicted modest dem gains to get a small house majority, coupled with a GOP narrow senate hold.

IF (planet-sized if) the Republicans do OK, then the Dems are going to be utterly shell-shocked going into 2020. They won't know who to pick - or how to campaign.
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/trump-election-hacking-and-the-georgia-governors-race

A reminder about what a shit show Georgia's election systems are.

No paper audit trail. Centralised system with 2 year old vulnerability in the CMS running it. Passwords indexed by Google. The list goes on.
    rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    Agreed, but in the UK the rule is no more than two elections can be held on the same day. When I go to vote this evening it'll be for US Senator, US Representative, Governor & Lt. Governor (single ticket), State Senator, State Representative, Town Council-man/-woman and Superior Court Judge. That's quite a small ballot compared to some areas. So in NYS we vote by filling in a paper ballot multi-choice style, which is read by an optical reader and tallied. The paper ballots are retained to provide a paper trail. I think it's a sensible compromise.
    That is quite a modest list. My understanding (clearly wrong) was that you had to vote for everyone from the dog catcher up.
    Anazina said:

I am coming to terms with the fact that I’m going to stay up, for a bit, to watch the midterms.

I usually end up with Fox because their mathematicians are better, and bolder, than the other networks.

Which channel is recommended? I have full fat cable so have access to several American channels that outside election time just gather dust.

It's good for us (if not for them) that the polls close v early in the US.

I think that even with Freeview there'll be a reasonable choice of viewing.
  • What was Plato banned from twitter for? On here she went down the rabbit hole of constantly posting fake news and conspiracy sites links, but by the standards of twitter where the likes of ISIS supporters don’t get banned, her stuff must have got really dark or they thought she was a Russian bit?

Happened around the same time as Twitter took down a plethora of pro Trump Russian bot accounts.
    edited November 2018
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Relatedly, it's on days like this I miss PB-ers like Rod Crosby, James Kelly and Stuart Dickson. They could all be eccentric and prickly, but they all brought some serious and clever analysis.

This is especially true of Crosby. Sometimes you have to tolerate the madness of the genius, to get the genius. He was super smart, if eccentric.
    The problem with Rod was not eccentricity, it was his obsession with his second favourite subject after polling...the Jews and especially holocaust. At times he made red ken look balanced and only casual observer of the history of hitler and Zionism.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    SeanT said:

VALUE.
    Most impressive of all is that he is close personal friend of JohnO - Which means that very shortly PB could have our very own Prime Minister in Downing St (almost) - Not to mention Lord John O Of PB! :D
  • On the midterms, I’m starting to think we’re going to see an extreme result. The turnout factor might skew what the pollsters have been saying. At this moment in time I can see a Dem tsunami (big gains in the house and maybe even a tie or better in the senate) OR a rep hold of both houses. I’m not sure I see the oft-predicted modest dem gains to get a small house majority, coupled with a GOP narrow senate hold.

IF (planet-sized if) the Republicans do OK, then the Dems are going to be utterly shell-shocked going into 2020. They won't know who to pick - or how to campaign.
    The problem the Dems have is shared with a number of centre-left parties, to some degree or other, throughout the West. A fixation on social liberalism which whilst in many ways is commendable has the effect of crowding out the bread and butter issues that their traditional core used to vote on.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    edited November 2018
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

VALUE.
    Most impressive of all is that he is close personal friend of JohnO - Which means that very shortly PB could have our very own Prime Minister in Downing St (almost) - Not to mention Lord John O Of PB! :D
    And a GCMG for me.

If Dave had been PM for a few more years, I'd have gotten it by next year.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

On the midterms, I’m starting to think we’re going to see an extreme result. The turnout factor might skew what the pollsters have been saying. At this moment in time I can see a Dem tsunami (big gains in the house and maybe even a tie or better in the senate) OR a rep hold of both houses. I’m not sure I see the oft-predicted modest dem gains to get a small house majority, coupled with a GOP narrow senate hold.

I think both sides have been energised by different subjects and could both turn out in huge numbers negating much of the effect of each other. The Dems have to hope their voters turn out efficiently (and are able to actually vote by the looks of things) while the GOP have to hope that suburban and rural whites come out to support Trump again like they did in 2016. If only one or the other happens we could be in for a big result though.

This is true, but that could easily be a blessing. Trump may/will hit a big bump next year, and even a relatively unknown Dem candidate may find it his/her lucky day.

rcs1000 said:

As far as I can tell, she's not lurking.

What was Plato banned from twitter for? On here she went down the rabbit hole of constantly posting fake news and conspiracy sites links, but by the standards of twitter where the likes of ISIS supporters don’t get banned, her stuff must have got really dark or they thought she was a Russian bit?

Happened around the same time as Twitter took down a plethora of pro Trump Russian bot accounts.
    Was Plato a bot? :D
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    edited November 2018

I doubt if they thought she was a Russian bit, although they may have mistaken her for a Russian bot.
    edited November 2018
    rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    Agreed, but in the UK the rule is no more than two elections can be held on the same day. When I go to vote this evening it'll be for US Senator, US Representative, Governor & Lt. Governor (single ticket), State Senator, State Representative, Town Council-man/-woman and Superior Court Judge. That's quite a small ballot compared to some areas.
    Ugh - maybe there is a such a thing as too much democracy.

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Relatedly, it's on days like this I miss PB-ers like Rod Crosby, James Kelly and Stuart Dickson. They could all be eccentric and prickly, but they all brought some serious and clever analysis.

This is especially true of Crosby. Sometimes you have to tolerate the madness of the genius, to get the genius. He was super smart, if eccentric.
    The problem with Rod was not eccentricity, it was his obsession with his second favourite subject after polling...the Jews and especially holocaust. At times he made red ken look balanced.
    When Ken said, do you know somebody else that was obsessed with Jews, more than one answer flicked through my head. I have to confess if this was my blog and I was responsible for what was published here I would feel pretty cautious.

I miss Stewart Dickson a lot. His sin of Scottish subsamples looks pretty modest after the polling fiascoes of the last few years and he had wit, something I will always forgive a lot for.
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

This is especially true of Crosby. Sometimes you have to tolerate the madness of the genius, to get the genius. He was super smart, if a bit loopy on that whole Holocaust thingy.
    Crosby was a holocaust denier and a virulent anti Semite. That he was PhD standard mathematics was hardly a mitigating factor. Agree that Stuart and particularly James were excellent. And what of Tim? A PB legend, and one you yourself sparred entertainingly with.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    GIN1138 said:

A slapped Bot!!
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

The problem with Rod was not eccentricity, it was his obsession with his second favourite subject after polling...the Jews and especially holocaust. At times he made red ken look balanced and only casual observer of the history of hitler and Zionism.
    I know, I know, he was nutty on that subject. But he did provide real and unique insight, and his predictions were often uncannily accurate, when everyone else on here (including me) had not a clue.

Shame. I hope he is happy in Malta or wherever it was he retired. We stayed in touch on Twitter for a while, then he drifted away.
    Oh on polling / modelling he was super knowledgeable/ interesting. I remember pushing him quite hard on the background to his GE model and his responses were very good / fact based rooted in serious peer reviewed academic material. His views on Jews / holocaust not so much....
    DavidL said:

rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    That is quite a modest list. My understanding (clearly wrong) was that you had to vote for everyone from the dog catcher up.
    Totally depends on the state. In general terms the further west you go, the longer the ballots are. My brother is also a newly-minted US citizen, but in San Francisco, and his ballot this year was four pages. NYS is quite conservative in that we don't usually have ballot propositions, only for legislature-initiated constitutional amendments and local bond issues (NYC has three amendments to the city constitution on their ballot). CA usually has a dozen or so propositions. Also in NY some municipalities, including my village (as opposed to the town of which it's part) hold their local elections in May, and our county elections are in odd-numbered years.
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    I don't really see what real benefits they are supposed add to our elections ...
    Are you serious? The advantages are obvious - there is no easier way known to "fix" an election..... Oh... you mean advantages for the voters?

(Pauses)

I miss GrumpyOldMan/Coldstone.

Wonder is he ever made it up with his son?
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

How can you tell? Do you have a Plato detector?
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Her account said that she hadn't visited the site since March 2017, so I was surprised to see a claim upthread that she was lurking five or six hours ago.

I think she was a normal person with right wing views who developed a really weird and highly unfortunate obsession with Trump. A bit like a diehard Corbynista, with extra conspiracy theory thrown in. Mind you, there were more than a few Labour posters on here last year who seemed to be going much the same way, although as Corbyn ultimately lost they didn't go quite as full-on as Plato.

GIN1138 said:

A slapped Bot!!

When I think of all those Plato's Pussy jokes I made... I might have been talking with someone in a dungeon under the Kremlin working on the instructions of Mad Vlad...

Better be careful with my door handles from now on! :D

On the other hand, if they get hammered, it will mean the end of Pelosi and Warren, and that has to be positive for the Dems.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.

On the plus side, good arguments for voting by Etch-A-Sketch
  • rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.
    Pah, when I was I living in London in 2004 I voted in the following elections on the same day with three different voting systems

1) The European Elections (using the D'Hondt method)

2) London Mayoral Election (using the supplementary vote system)

3) London Assembly Election (using the additional member system)
    MaxPB said:

I think both sides have been energised by different subjects and could both turn out in huge numbers negating much of the effect of each other. The Dems have to hope their voters turn out efficiently (and are able to actually vote by the looks of things) while the GOP have to hope that suburban and rural whites come out to support Trump again like they did in 2016. If only one or the other happens we could be in for a big result though.
    White women: they're the key. If they stick with the Republicans, then it will be a long night for the Democrats.

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

That's quite disturbing.

On the plus side, good arguments for voting by Etch-A-Sketch
    I do not wish people's creative expression stifled, and I demand I be allowed to cast my vote via the greatest form of art ever devised...interpretive dance.
    Anazina said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

This is especially true of Crosby. Sometimes you have to tolerate the madness of the genius, to get the genius. He was super smart, if a bit loopy on that whole Holocaust thingy.
    Crosby was a holocaust denier and a virulent anti Semite. That he was PhD standard mathematics was hardly a mitigating factor. Agree that Stuart and particularly James were excellent. And what of Tim? A PB legend, and one you yourself sparred entertainingly with.
    Ahem,

As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; [16] but they were kept from recognizing him.
    Dadge said:

rcs1000 said:

Seconded
    If we're unbanning people then @archer101au was one of the most articulate and interesting Brexiters.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Turnout in Orange County , Florida now over 53%
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    @SeanT - I'd guess Dom Raab is 5' 10", perhaps slightly taller (and certainly more so than Sajid).

I promise not to abuse my position of influence. Peerage for me, probably for Mike S (but the LibDemmery is problematic), GCMG for TSE hailed-on, but others will have to pay the going rate.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

How can you tell? Do you have a Plato detector?
    Well, I can see the last visit by IP address, her address was last used in 2017. And there is no evidence that she's tried to register a new account. And the last visit by her login was also in 2017.
  • It was the Scots who were shown to be too thick to have more than two elections on the same day that ruined it for the rest of us.
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    edited November 2018
    Anazina said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

On a betting site, I'd have thought being PhD standard mathematician would be a pretty powerful mitigating factor!

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

White women: they're the key. If they stick with the Republicans, then it will be a long night for the Democrats.
    If they stick with the Republicans under these circumstances, it's not a long night but a long decade the Dems are facing.

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

On a betting site, I'd have thought being PhD standard mathematician would be a pretty powerful mitigating factor!

Certain things are hard to mitigate against.
    Any chance Archer-From-Aus could be unbanned? I know he got on OGH's tits but he was pretty smart (or seemed to be to me)
    JohnO said:

@SeanT - I'd guess Dom Raab is 5' 10", perhaps slightly taller (and certainly more so than Sajid).

I promise not to abuse my position of influence. Peerage for me, probably for Mike S (but the LibDemmery is problematic), GCMG for TSE hailed-on, but others will have to pay the going rate.

:D:D:D
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

The problem with Rod was not eccentricity, it was his obsession with his second favourite subject after polling...the Jews and especially holocaust. At times he made red ken look balanced.
    When Ken said, do you know somebody else that was obsessed with Jews, more than one answer flicked through my head. I have to confess if this was my blog and I was responsible for what was published here I would feel pretty cautious.

I miss Stewart Dickson a lot. His sin of Scottish subsamples looks pretty modest after the polling fiascoes of the last few years and he had wit, something I will always forgive a lot for.
    It’s remarkable that Dickson was banned for quoting Scottish subsamples, despite repeated warnings. Seems a mild transgression in this modern era of fake news.
    TOPPING said:

Dadge said:

rcs1000 said:

Seconded
    If we're unbanning people then @archer101au was one of the most articulate and interesting Brexiters.
    Is he banned? I enjoyed sparring with him.

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

He told someone who lost a family member in the holocaust that they didn't die and probably just deliberately hid from their family.
  • Anazina said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Rod was given loads of warnings, but he just couldn’t stop himself posting about the holocaust. It isn’t like he was asked not to post about current politics or polling.
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Dadge said:

rcs1000 said:

Seconded
    Aren’t you Banmaster General?
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Dadge said:

rcs1000 said:

Seconded
    Yes, he complained about one of OGH's thread headers and OGH didn't take kindly to it! :D
This discussion has been closed.