Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mid Terms 2018 : Hour by hour, state by state, your timetable

124»

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    What would we set the weight limit at for a rugby side. 270 stone for 15 men ?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

As an example of how rugby has got bigger, faster and nastier (and therefore more exciting and yet more dangerous) I love this video showing the All Blacks' haka evolving from a quaint bit of fun, to a genuinely terrifying war dance by enormous men (esp if you are the opposing team)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrZau5O16Wo

Watching that i had three thoughts.

1) It's amazing it ever kept going in the first place

2) Hakas are great to kick off sporting contests, and more sports should do something similar

3) Is there some 'cultural appropriation' movement seeking to get them to stop doing it?
    Yes
    Yes
    No - it is a Maori dance and the All Blacks are an evermore Maori/Polynesian team because their physique and attitude fits rugby so well. Maoris are proud of it.
    Glad to hear it. Cultural appropriation is taken to some ludicrous enough places already.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

I see 538 have posted a turnout projection for each of the senatorial races:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2018-election-results-coverage/?ex_cid=extra_banner

Plugging that into a spreadie gives 46.1% overall turnout (versus eligible voters)

HYUFD is being quite today.
    Being the only defender of Chequers in the land is an exhausting business. He deserves a break every now and again.
    I think BIg_G is a fellow Chequers defender.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Alistair said:

Fair warning, I have adjusted my green House of Representatives Majority book to halve my payout on a Dem win and treble my payout on a GOP hold/draw.

I don't see the need, the Dems should take the house fairly easily. The question is how big the victory. A big one and it's gridlock and impeachment time, a narrow one and there won't be enough fight.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    On the size of sports people, I won a last goal scorer bet at Bolton in April 2008. I had to go round to the front entrance to claim my winnings and by the time I'd got them the Arsenal players were starting to make their way out of the ground. Fabregas and Walcott came over and posed for pictures with some of the fans. They are absolutely tiny.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2018
    Still can't believe some total mentalist on Betfair offered me 3/1 on Dem majority in the House.
  • kle4 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

As an example of how rugby has got bigger, faster and nastier (and therefore more exciting and yet more dangerous) I love this video showing the All Blacks' haka evolving from a quaint bit of fun, to a genuinely terrifying war dance by enormous men (esp if you are the opposing team)

Watching that i had three thoughts.

1) It's amazing it ever kept going in the first place

2) Hakas are great to kick off sporting contests, and more sports should do something similar

3) Is there some 'cultural appropriation' movement seeking to get them to stop doing it?
    Yes
    Yes
    No - it is a Maori dance and the All Blacks are an evermore Maori/Polynesian team because their physique and attitude fits rugby so well. Maoris are proud of it.
    Glad to hear it. Cultural appropriation is taken to some ludicrous enough places already.
    https://youtu.be/Rq74bZqbOqA
    Alistair said:

Fair warning, I have adjusted my green House of Representatives Majority book to halve my payout on a Dem win and treble my payout on a GOP hold/draw.

I expect the Dems will be encouraged by that!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2018
    tlg86 said:

On the size of sports people, I won a last goal scorer bet at Bolton in April 2008. I had to go round to the front entrance to claim my winnings and by the time I'd got them the Arsenal players were starting to make their way out of the ground. Fabregas and Walcott came over and posed for pictures with some of the fans. They are absolutely tiny.

I remember seeing Michael Owen for the first time and thought he was one of the kids that are match day ball boys. And at that point he was in his mid 20s.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

As we're discussing the disappeared, why was @archer101au banned?

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2069446#Comment_2069446

I was rather amused to note you had actually commented on the post that got him banned - without realising it!
    Posted from Terminal 2 at Lisbon Airport. :)

It's Mike's site so he's free to choose who comments BTL. But I think it's a shame that the people who get banned all seem to come from one side of the political spectrum.

The reason I got hooked to this site was the diversity of opinion. You might not agree with the analysis presented by @archer101au, but I think his contributions were interesting to read.
    Good point - is there a reason why it's always the swivel-eyed loons that get banned?
    Anyone who is anyone gets banned at some point :)
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Pulpstar said:

What would we set the weight limit at for a rugby side. 270 stone for 15 men ?

I’d be tempted to go lower. 250, maybe even 240...
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

I don't see the need, the Dems should take the house fairly easily. The question is how big the victory. A big one and it's gridlock and impeachment time, a narrow one and there won't be enough fight.
    It's very noticeable that almost all of Trump's very considerable campaigning effort has been focused on the Senate which would, of course, form the Jury should the Dems ever try impeachment.

As we have all seen this man knows how to stack a court!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2069446#Comment_2069446

I was rather amused to note you had actually commented on the post that got him banned - without realising it!

It's Mike's site so he's free to choose who comments BTL. But I think it's a shame that the people who get banned all seem to come from one side of the political spectrum.

The reason I got hooked to this site was the diversity of opinion. You might not agree with the analysis presented by @archer101au, but I think his contributions were interesting to read.
    Good point - is there a reason why it's always the swivel-eyed loons that get banned?
    Did they ban your sox off, Dr?

Good night.
  • tlg86 said:

I remember seeing Michael Owen for the first time and thought he was one of the kids that are match day ball boys. And at that point he was in his mid 20s.
    That's exactly how I felt when I first saw Sam Curran.

Just imagine how good he will be when his balls drop.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2018

tlg86 said:

Joe Root is still waiting for that to happen...
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

tlg86 said:

Keaton Jennings drops balls with monotonous regularity, and he doesn't seem to be any good yet.

Alistair said:

I expect the Dems will be encouraged by that!
    Given my Presidential election 2016 performance everyone should definitely be taking the opposite of my position!

It is a good job I cleaned up on the Trump nomination before hand otherwise I would have had no bankroll left.
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

I knew there'd be an exception! :wink:
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

On the midterms, I’m starting to think we’re going to see an extreme result. The turnout factor might skew what the pollsters have been saying. At this moment in time I can see a Dem tsunami (big gains in the house and maybe even a tie or better in the senate) OR a rep hold of both houses. I’m not sure I see the oft-predicted modest dem gains to get a small house majority, coupled with a GOP narrow senate hold.

IF (planet-sized if) the Republicans do OK, then the Dems are going to be utterly shell-shocked going into 2020. They won't know who to pick - or how to campaign.
    The problem the Dems have is shared with a number of centre-left parties, to some degree or other, throughout the West. A fixation on social liberalism which whilst in many ways is commendable has the effect of crowding out the bread and butter issues that their traditional core used to vote on.
    Like healthcare, for example... ?
  • Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2018-election-results-coverage/?ex_cid=extra_banner

Plugging that into a spreadie gives 46.1% overall turnout (versus eligible voters)

Being the only defender of Chequers in the land is an exhausting business. He deserves a break every now and again.
    Did you hear about the new customs union between Beijing and Hong Kong?

They call it Chinese Chequers!

(I thank you!)
  • DavidL said:
    You can see why David Davis made Stewart Jackson his Chief of Staff.

You can see why David Davis fecked up Brexit.
  • Just watched the video, reminded me of when Jonah Lomu burst on the scene no matter who he was playing against it looked like a man vs boys, who were playing as backs. In today’s game, sure he would still be among the biggest, but there are now plenty of backs well over 6ft (and built like brick shit houses) in the international game.
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

@SeanT - I'd guess Dom Raab is 5' 10", perhaps slightly taller (and certainly more so than Sajid).

I promise not to abuse my position of influence. Peerage for me, probably for Mike S (but the LibDemmery is problematic), GCMG for TSE hailed-on, but others will have to pay the going rate.

Fair enough. He must have been standing next to some supertall politician, in a photo, for me to assume he's a bit of a half-pint.

In my experience politicians in the flesh are often surprisingly small OR surprisingly tall, just like Hollywood actors.
    A few years ago I was in the breakfast queue at the Radisson in Leeds between Stuart Broad and Steven Finn. I honestly felt like a midget. It was quite disturbing. TV gives you no idea how tall these people are.
    My biggest shock was finding myself in a bar with the entire England rugby team in the triumphant Woodward/Dallaglio era. There were players you expected to be tall and beefy, like Martin Johnson, but even Guscott was over six foot and massive.
    In the bar that nid idea. Just saying.
    It's actually brican Football. I don't see any alternative.
    I was talking abouand the danger level increased exponentially.
    As an ex

Great video. Has the increasing numbers of Maori players influenced that perhaps? Those pre-war players really don't look very comfortable do they?
    No. As kle says it must have come close to dying out, the white guys looked so awkward and even embarrassed (and English).

Then sometime around the 80s and 90s the All Blacks realised the haka was an ADVANTAGE, and could be made properly menacing, to spook opponents. This must have coincided with the influx of Maori and Polynesian players.

Its interesting to speculate what would be a similarly intimidating English alternative. Clearly a Morris Dance would not work.

But the fact is the English are the global conquerors, par excellence, and the warrior island to end all warrior islands. e.g. it wasn't the Maoris who came and trampled all over London, was it?

How do you express this in a pre-match environment. Perhaps we should simply parody their ludicrous leaps and tongue waggling, then sing God Save Your Gracious Queen.

That would hurt, and no doubt be banned by Guardianista types.
    England's an island now?
  • MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Plato used to do that, foolishly.

As a Times journalist myself, I did warn her, and then she stopped, I think.

The Times and Sunday Times are very litigious about this shit. Their successful paywall model depends on it not being breached.

I think that's true, my constant linking to interesting Times stories in my WhatsApp group has got some of them to subscribe.
    Combining those two themes, my Telegraph subscription is due to the number of links Plato used to post (often, I suspect, without herself having read much beyond the headline). The Telegraph does seem to have declined markedly in the last few months, but perhaps it is me.
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

@SeanT - I'd guess Dom Raab is 5' 10", perhaps slightly taller (and certainly more so than Sajid).

I promise not to abuse my position of influence. Peerage for me, probably for Mike S (but the LibDemmery is problematic), GCMG for TSE hailed-on, but others will have to pay the going rate.

Fair enough. He must have been standing next to some supertall politician, in a photo, for me to assume he's a bit of a half-pint.

In my experience politicians in the flesh are often surprisingly small OR surprisingly tall, just like Hollywood actors.
    A few years ago I was in the breakfast queue at the Radisson in Leeds between Stuart Broad and Steven Finn. I honestly felt like a midget. It was quite disturbing. TV gives you no idea how tall these people are.
    My biggest shock was finding myself in a bar with the entire England rugby team in the triumphant Woodward/Dallaglio era. There were players you expected to be tall and beefy, like Martin Johnson, but even Guscott was over six foot and massive.
    As an ex

Great video. Has the increasing numbers of Maori players influenced that perhaps? Those pre-war players really don't look very comfortable do they?
    No. As kle says it must have come close to dying out, the white guys looked so awkward and even embarrassed (and English).

Then sometime around the 80s and 90s the All Blacks realised the haka was an ADVANTAGE, and could be made properly menacing, to spook opponents. This must have coincided with the influx of Maori and Polynesian players.
    Buck Shelford revived it.

To be honest now amongst many rugby fans the many variant NZ hakas is now seen as completely overblown and ridiculous. The throat slitting shit is grotesque - it's just a game of rugby mate.
  • MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

The Times and Sunday Times are very litigious about this shit. Their successful paywall model depends on it not being breached.

I think that's true, my constant linking to interesting Times stories in my WhatsApp group has got some of them to subscribe.
    Combining those two themes, my Telegraph subscription is due to the number of links Plato used to post (often, I suspect, without herself having read much beyond the headline). The Telegraph does seem to have declined markedly in the last few months, but perhaps it is me.
    It has been in decline for years.
  • SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

This is one huge, primary reason why soccer is THE global sport, and American Football, Basketball, Rugby, Cricket, Baseball, whatever, will never come close to its enormous popularity.

You can be bloody good, and do very well, as long as you are fit and talented, whatever your natural size.

For this reason alone soccer will always prevail. I predict that someday it will even be the number 1 sport in the USA, the final frontier. Mums don't want their sons dying of brain injuries.
    Cricket more so I'd have said - there have been truly great players almost seven foot and others borderline midget.
    edited November 2018
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

As an ex

Its interesting to speculate what would be a similarly intimidating English alternative. Clearly a Morris Dance would not work.

But the fact is the English are the global conquerors, par excellence, and the warrior island to end all warrior islands. e.g. it wasn't the Maoris who came and trampled all over London, was it?

How do you express this in a pre-match environment. Perhaps we should simply parody their ludicrous leaps and tongue waggling, then sing God Save Your Gracious Queen.

One thing I feel we often miss with these national stereotypes is that they are based on characteristics that no longer exist.

The past is indeed a foreign country, and today's England is not the empire-building England of the 18th century nor are the current English any longer the "global conquerors, par excellence, and the warrior island to end all warrior islands". Compare the way the country reacted to a) the Blitz and b) Princess Diana's death less than 60 years later.

It is surely incontrovertible that the 'greatness' of nations or peoples ebband flow over time. If not, whay are Egypt, Greece and Italy not great powers these days? Why aren't the Arab countries great centres of science and mathematics as the were in the middle ages?
    edited November 2018
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

As an ex

it's just a game of rugby mate.
    That's why such displays are fun and more should so something like it - because whatever intensity there is it is just a game and it's a way of getting pumped up, and given it is a bit ridiculous it feels like it should not actually upset or intimidate people.

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

(I thank you!)
    I think you have got that wrong... it might be worth a check mate.
  • Andrew said:

Anazina said:

Your analysis is correct, your solution wrong. Total team weight limits is the solution.

Makes sense, given the humungous amount of doping in modern rugby. They're carrying so much weight at greater speeds than ever before - look back at players from 30 years ago, it's like a different species.
    It is not just size. Since rugby union became a professional, summer game, standards of play have risen immeasurably. Look at decades old footage of overweight bankers and doctors dropping catches in ploughed fields and it is almost embarrassing how bad some of it was.
    Sky have got aerial footage of the back garden where those idiots burnt a model of Grenfell Tower. The world really has gone mad.
  • SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

This is one huge, primary reason why soccer is THE global sport, and American Football, Basketball, Rugby, Cricket, Baseball, whatever, will never come close to its enormous popularity.

You can be bloody good, and do very well, as long as you are fit and talented, whatever your natural size.

For this reason alone soccer will always prevail. I predict that someday it will even be the number 1 sport in the USA, the final frontier. Mums don't want their sons dying of brain injuries.
    There was a trend in football 10 years ago for physically bigger players. Brazil in particular thought that was what was required to compete with the worlds best going forward. A number of African teams were thought to be good shouts for WC progress again in part to this.

The like of messi etc have shown that isn’t how it works. The biggest physical advantage in football is acceleration over 5-10 yards.
    SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

Dunno, 90% of football players outside of goalkeepers seem to be absolutely tiny. Not too many players carrying more than about 12 stone lol
  • Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

(I thank you!)
    Not really. I am content to leave it to TM and see what happens

My only red line is no deal
    edited November 2018
    kle4 said:

That's why such displays are fun and more should so something like it - because whatever intensity there is it is just a game and it's a way of getting pumped up, and given it is a bit ridiculous it feels like it should not actually upset or intimidate people.

The thing that rubs me up the wrong way is how NZ act so precious over it. See the farce of the "Haka in the shed" when Wales wanted to sing their national anthem after the haka rather than before.

And the protection it has been given by world rugby, demadning opposition teams stand a certain distance away etc. makes it so ridiculously ridiculous that I just find it utterly tiresome.

It was fun back in the 80's and early 90's but it has got completely up itself and has the whiff of Adidas marketing bollocks all over it.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    edited November 2018
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

As an ex

No. As klGod Save Your Gracious Queen.

England's an island now?
    Oh god yawn, Either you are proud of Scotland's role in the empire, under the "butcher's apron", or you aren't, and the English are all to blame. Just make your tiny fucking tartan mind up. Scot Nats are becoming VERY boring.
    Always available to prick bloviators about 'English' global conquerors & warrior islands, and other such self salving bollox.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, does anybody know what's happened to Plato?

I know she's banned from here. And then she was banned from Twitter. And then she migrated to Gab. And then six months ago. *Poof* she stopped.

Does anybody know if she's OK?

You have the power - unban her and see if she is lurking....
    As far as I can tell, she's not lurking.
    See my post below - she is lurking. If you go to her blog you can see what sites she has visited. She has been here today.
    What is her blog?
    http://plato-says.blogspot.com/

No posts for years but it tracks and displays her recently read sites.

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

(I thank you!)
    Not really. I am content to leave it to TM and see what happens

My only red line is no deal

Andrew said:

Anazina said:

Your analysis is correct, your solution wrong. Total team weight limits is the solution.

Makes sense, given the humungous amount of doping in modern rugby. They're carrying so much weight at greater speeds than ever before - look back at players from 30 years ago, it's like a different species.
    It is not just size. Since rugby union became a professional, summer game, standards of play have risen immeasurably. Look at decades old footage of overweight bankers and doctors dropping catches in ploughed fields and it is almost embarrassing how bad some of it was.
    Indeed. The professional game is infinitely superior to its amateur predecessor, it is a different game.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

Cricket more so I'd have said - there have been truly great players almost seven foot and others borderline midget.
    Gavaskar and Tendulkar are 5’5”, Vishwanath is 5’3”... ’Tich’ Freeman, the only man to take 300 wickets in an English season, was 5’2”.

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

The thing that rubs me up the wrong way is how NZ act so precious over it. See the farce of the "Haka in the shed" when Wales wanted to sing their national anthem after the haka rather than before.

And the protection it has been given by world rugby, demadning opposition teams stand a certain distance away etc. makes it so ridiculously ridiculous that I just find it utterly tiresome.

It was fun back in the 80's and early 90's but it has got completely up itself and has the whiff of Adidas marketing bollocks all over it.
    Agreed. It takes a lot to make me sympathise with the French, but fining them for confronting the haka before the 2011 World Cup final was beyond ridiculous.
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

Dunno, 90% of football players outside of goalkeepers seem to be absolutely tiny. Not too many players carrying more than about 12 stone lol
    Just checked, Drogba is 188 cm tall. He always looked like an absolute giant particularly next to the Spanish midgets. Football seems to skew to the teeny tinys..
    Drogba would look small on an NFl, rugby or basketball pitch

DavidL said:
    You can see why David Davis made Stewart Jackson his Chief of Staff.

You can see why David Davis fecked up Brexit.
    I was going to say that in fairness to David Davis.... but then I thought why would you want to be?
    The pictures of voter suppression in GA are an international embarrassment.
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

Gavaskar and Tendulkar are 5’5”, Vishwanath is 5’3”... ’Tich’ Freeman, the only man to take 300 wickets in an English season, was 5’2”.

Yeah batsmen are often midgets.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited November 2018
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

It's very noticeable that almost all of Trump's very considerable campaigning effort has been focused on the Senate which would, of course, form the Jury should the Dems ever try impeachment.

As we have all seen this man knows how to stack a court!
    No, it's about appointments. Even if the Dems won every single Senate seat up this year they couldn't get the 67-seat supermajority to convict on impeachment. If the GOP can keep 50 Senate seats, they can ram through approval for any appointment with Pence's casting vote.
  • I should say that both my wife and I have fallen under a rather nasty respiratory infection that has been with us for over four weeks and has utterly drained us. I did see the doctor yesterday but we agreed it is best at this stage not to have anti biotics.

This, alongside my disinterest in US politics, ( though I would like to see Trump shackled ) has led me to post less. I still read the comments but tire easily

I am also less concerned over Brexit, as little I say will change the course of events
  • I've despised the All Blacks ever since the disgusting spear tackle of Brian O'Driscoll.

Don't tell anyone but it made me cheer for France in the 2011 World Cup Final.
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

And the protection it has been given by world rugby, demadning opposition teams stand a certain distance away
    Yes, those examples are ridiculous, but not in a good way, they could stand with remembering it is all in good fun.

I should say that both my wife and I have fallen under a rather nasty respiratory infection that has been with us for over four weeks and has utterly drained us. I did see the doctor yesterday but we agreed it is best at this stage not to have anti biotics.

This, alongside my disinterest in US politics, ( though I would like to see Trump shackled ) has led me to post less. I still read the comments but tire easily

I am also less concerned over Brexit, as little I say will change the course of events

Get well soon Big_G and Mrs Big _G!
    What's the best non-paywall option (blog or stream) for watching the mid-terms unfold tonight - any suggestions?
  • Completely off topic - I spent the weekend along the Shropshire/Powys border visiting Ludlow, Montgomery and Bishops Castle.

Lovely part of the world that really felt like you could have stepped back in time 50 years.

Highly recommended as an alternative to the usual Cotswold/Peak District tourist traps.

What's the best non-paywall option (blog or stream) for watching the mid-terms unfold tonight - any suggestions?

Fox news. Seriously.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    I probably missed it upthread, but what's the reasoning behind the weird forecast from Hayfield? Dems falling so far short in the House but advancing in the Senate is a pretty unusual prediction
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

Some defenders are quite hefty, I wouldn't want to try to stop Harry Maguire, but I agree there are few mutants like in Basketball or Rugby.
    MaxPB said:

I should say that both my wife and I have fallen under a rather nasty respiratory infection that has been with us for over four weeks and has utterly drained us. I did see the doctor yesterday but we agreed it is best at this stage not to have anti biotics.

Yes ditto to that - hope you are both feeling better soon.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Hope you both get well soon Big G. In many ways you are the backbone of PB.
  • NEW THREAD

• MaxPB said:

Thanks - we are working on it but it is just so persistent

Get well soon G and Mrs G.

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

It has been in decline for years.
    I was reading a piece on the back of the financial section today about China and it was so bombastic and badly written I just assumed that the writer was AEP but no, it was someone else aping his style. It's really sad.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

I found CNN pretty good during the 2016 election.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    https://twitter.com/paulmotty/status/1059929741396975616

For comparison, their final poll had 30% strong-approve, 9% moderate appr, 45% strong disapprove, 10% moderate did, 6% no opinion.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    edited November 2018
    RE Rugby. The problem with RU is the ludicrous number of replacements allowed. Basically a half a new team comes on in the second half. That and the length of time to set scrums and line outs, Ditto treatment for injuries. Giving everyone a chance for a breather.
    All of these, as well as "enhanced" growth measures are leading to bigger players.
    Solutions.
    1 4 subs only. Once off you can't return. Exception for genuine blood bins.
    2 No breaks for injuries. Unless serious, play continues.
    3 Shot clock for line outs. 20 seconds to throw it in.
    4 Same for scrums. No resetting. Penalty or play on.

All of these would lead to players with greater anaerobic fitness and smaller players.

Re Haka. It was Howie Tamati of NZRL, in the 80's, and an actual, genuine Maori chief, who introduced it as a culturally meaningful ceremony, and therefore intimidatory, rather than part of the pre-match entertainment. It was part of his traditional duties and role out with the rugby field.
    Edit: he was a candidate for Maori Party at GE 2017, and has been an elected councillor.
  • rpjs said:

Hope you both get well soon Big G. In many ways you are the backbone of PB.
    You are so kind
  • Anazina said:

Get well soon G and Mrs G.
    Thabnk you so much
  • MaxPB said:

Yes ditto to that - hope you are both feeling better soon.
    Thanks Ben
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

As an ex

No. As klGod Save Your Gracious Queen.

England's an island now?
    Oh god yawn, Either you are proud of Scotland's role in the empire, under the "butcher's apron", or you aren't, and the English are all to blame. Just make your tiny fucking tartan mind up. Scot Nats are becoming VERY boring.
    Always available to prick bloviators about 'English' global conquerors & warrior islands, and other such self salving bollox.
    Again, dull. You guys have lost your edge. I guess Brexit has stolen the Sindy thunder? You guys won't get a vote again til the mid-late 2020s, earliest. Must hurt. Sympathies.
    That's been your standard 'Seany drops the mic' response for years. In definite need of a whetstone.
    For Rugby union I'd like to see a couple of changes.
    1) Penalties need to be dropped to 2 points. The enormous kicking distance combined with the ludicrous ease of giving away a penalty is the reasoning.
    2) Introduction of a free kick instead of a penalty for more minor infractions.
    3) Up tries to 6 points whilst we're at it.

Being able to win a game with barely getting into an opponent's 22 is an abomination.
  • Pulpstar said:

For Rugby union I'd like to see a couple of changes.
    1) Penalties need to be dropped to 2 points. The enormous kicking distance combined with the ludicrous ease of giving away a penalty is the reasoning.
    2) Introduction of a free kick instead of a penalty for more minor infractions.
    3) Up tries to 6 points whilst we're at it.

Being able to win a game with barely getting into an opponent's 22 is an abomination.

Reducing the points for a penalty would just further encourage the opposition to kill the ball at the breakdown. The key is to get rid of the kicking, which is tedious anyhow and terminates promising attacks: 1 point per penalty conceded in your own half, then play resumes with a free-kick.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Get well Mr and Mrs Big G.

With the Premier League came the change from the players stubbing out their fags underfoot as they jogged onto the pitch to them being super-athletes often clocking Olympic-qualifying times on the flat.
This discussion has been closed.