Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The story of the night on the betting markets

124»

Comments

• Options

Mr. Eagles, he certainly is. Was the 51st state.

Which law is it that states the likelihood of making a typo increases when you point out someone else's?

https://www.sciencealert.com/people-who-pick-up-grammar-mistakes-jerks-scientists-find

url says it all!
    Sorry, I have high standards when it comes to (protecting) the English language.
    Which makes it so ironic how often you're brought down by your "autocorrect"!
    Irony is always amusing, plus writing threads on an iPhone is pain, always prefer a MacBook.

My favourite was one of my fans obsessing about my correct use of the Oxford Comma, said fan was incapable of correctly using apostrophes.
    So what you are saying is the iPhone is a crap....
    Nah, I have fat fingers.

I've tried using Siri and other voice assistants to 'write' my threads.

All of them struggle with my working class Yorkshire accent.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2018

Which law is it that states the likelihood of making a typo increases when you point out someone else's?

https://www.sciencealert.com/people-who-pick-up-grammar-mistakes-jerks-scientists-find

url says it all!
    Sorry, I have high standards when it comes to (protecting) the English language.
    Irony is always amusing, plus writing threads on an iPhone is pain, always prefer a MacBook.

My favourite was one of my fans obsessing about my correct use of the Oxford Comma, said fan was incapable of correctly using apostrophes.
    Nah, I have fat fingers.

So what you are saying is the iPhone keyboard is crap as is Siri...

In all seriousness, I find all the voice assistants pretty crappy and just faster / easier to push buttons.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Trump says 'could be a beautiful bipartisan situation' on healthcare and infrastructure
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Talking of fake news, I'm loving the BBC's headline "Trump hails big victory despite losses".

The ultimate fake newsery from the Orange One.

Next week: "Trump hails sunshine despite torrential rain"

"Trump welcomes Saturday despite it being Sunday" etc.
  • Options

There was a prominent German online poker player who for years was allowed the screen name IHateJuice.

This always amused* me.

*If that's the right word.
    He's a sales rep from Sunny Delight.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited November 2018

url says it all!

Nah, I have fat fingers.

In all seriousness, I find all the voice assistants pretty crappy and just faster / easier to push buttons.
    A while back at work a new software was launched which converted any voicemails you received into text which arrived as an email in your inbox, it caused some mirth.

My favourite was from one my assistants telling me she couldn't come into work because she was ill and that she had diarrhea. The software converted 'I have diarrhea' into 'I have a dire rear'
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Trump apparently wants 'beautiful, crystal clear water' now the US has 'just about the cleanest air we have ever had' but needs to protect business too before moving onto questions.

• Options

There was a prominent German online poker player who for years was allowed the screen name IHateJuice.

This always amused* me.

*If that's the right word.
    Is that you holding the placard? :lol:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    rpjs said:

Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1060032186819272709?s=21

Floridian felons is the new Mondeo man....

Ex felons.
    I believe in the American system, which of course was inherited from ours, once convicted of a felony you retain the designation for life, no matter whether you've completed your sentence or not. Historically in English law, being convicted as a felon meant being subject to a mandatory forfeiture of life and property, so the condition of being a felon wouldn't be for long.
    In practice, most felons were not executed. You could be hanged, or imprisoned, or transported to the colonies, either for a term or for life, or pardoned, or given a pardon in return for joining the armed forces. It was also a complete defence to a felony charge if a woman committed a felony on the instructions of her husband.
    Indeed, but wasn't that more in the later 18th and early 19th centuries? As I understand it, increasing population led to increasing crime which was met with a huge increase in capital (felony) offences, as a deterrent, since detection was unlikely with no professional police. This lead to juries becoming reluctant to convict even when the evidence was clear as they were reluctant to hang people for relatively minor offences. This led to workarounds like "benefit of clergy" and the Judgement of Death Act.
    Medieval laws were notoriously contradictory, due to competing juristictions and customary law varying so much from court to court. Also, punishments could vary enormously depending on your social status, and the social status of the person you had wronged.
  • Options

url says it all!

Nah, I have fat fingers.

Yep they are all shit – solutions looking for problems the lot of them.

I only ever use Siri to find out the time in other cities so I can carry on with my work without googling it. She is good at that. Anything more advanced than that, no.

And why anyone would want Alexa in their house hearing their every word and feeding their data to Amazon, I have absolutely no idea.
  • Options
    Trump telling CNN reporter 'that's enough' says 'CNN should be ashamed having you working for them, you are a very rude, horrible person'. Tells the next reporter who tries to defend him 'I am not a great fan of yours either'
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

url says it all!

Nah, I have fat fingers.

A while back at work a new software was launched which converted any voicemails you received into text which arrived as an email in your inbox, it caused some mirth.

My favourite was from one my assistants telling me she couldn't come into work because she was ill and that she had diarrhea. The software converted 'I have diarrhea' into 'I have a dire rear'
    Durchfall !
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited November 2018
    M&S should go into just doing food, though I can understand why they'd want to get out of Essex PDQ.

https://twitter.com/ITVJoel/status/1060221717136752645
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Trump telling CNN reporter 'that's enough' says 'CNN should be ashamed having you working for them, you are a very rude, horrible person'. Tells the next reporter who tries to defend him 'I am not a great fan of yours either'

Sounds like the Donald is in a good mood.
  • Options
    So Trump thinks he has the power to end the investigation?

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1060222948668305415
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, diarrhoea*.

Mr. Anazina, I quite agree. The adverts amuse me, though. People gleeful that they can be so bone idle they don't have to get up to switch a light, or manually put a CD into a stereo that they're willing to put up with an electronic device listening to everything they say.

Crackers.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sounds like the Donald is in a good mood.
    Now telling another reporter 'Excuse me, I am not responding to you, you rudely interrupted him, now sit down!'
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Trump appears even more unhinged than usual...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

So Trump thinks he has the power to end the investigation?

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1060222948668305415

Presumably ending it by confessing guilt and resigning! Otherwise not his call.
  • Options
    But Hillary's emails.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2018

twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1060223096961945600

The new season of the apprentice is looking pretty tasty if that trailer is anything to go by.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    Not sure Don's very happy today? :D

Not sure why, because on past performance first time Presidents who lose the House but keep the Senate usually win a second term?

Maybe he's upset about something else...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Not sure why, because on past performance first time Presidents who lose the House but keep the Senate usually win a second term?

Perhaps mueller has asked him in for a chat now the mid terms are over?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

Ex felons.
    I believe in the American system, which of course was inherited from ours, once convicted of a felony you retain the designation for life, no matter whether you've completed your sentence or not. Historically in English law, being convicted as a felon meant being subject to a mandatory forfeiture of life and property, so the condition of being a felon wouldn't be for long.
    In practice, most felons were not executed. You could be hanged, or imprisoned, or transported to the colonies, either for a term or for life, or pardoned, or given a pardon in return for joining the armed forces. It was also a complete defence to a felony charge if a woman committed a felony on the instructions of her husband.

And most were paroled on landing in New South Wales. Indeed the development of Van Diemans Land as a penal colony, particularly Port Arthur, was because transportation had become too soft a punishment.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, hmm.

Can I claim to be 70?

Get my pension now. And my free bus pass.

Drunken lunacy, it is.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

We all know he won't do well in prison.
  • Options
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, hmm.

Can I claim to be 70?

Drunken lunacy, it is.

Do you self identify as prematurely aged?
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, hmm.

Can I claim to be 70?

Drunken lunacy, it is.

I can see this catching on. 15 year olds could self-identify as 18 so they could buy booze.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

Ex felons.
    Indeed, but wasn't that more in the later 18th and early 19th centuries? As I understand it, increasing population led to increasing crime which was met with a huge increase in capital (felony) offences, as a deterrent, since detection was unlikely with no professional police. This lead to juries becoming reluctant to convict even when the evidence was clear as they were reluctant to hang people for relatively minor offences. This led to workarounds like "benefit of clergy" and the Judgement of Death Act.
    Medieval laws were notoriously contradictory, due to competing juristictions and customary law varying so much from court to court. Also, punishments could vary enormously depending on your social status, and the social status of the person you had wronged.
    Yes, it is quite fascinating to read about the competition between the courts of justice and the courts of equity, and the awfulness of "petty treason", especially as applied to women.
  • Options
    John Snow though gets 'a very fair question' on avoiding conflict in politics and with the media
  • Options
    I'll identify as a 68 year old man once I've accrued stamp to get the full pension. My student loan remainder will be written off too, double bonus.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    Foxy said:

Mr. Glenn, hmm.

Can I claim to be 70?

Drunken lunacy, it is.

Do you self identify as prematurely aged?
    I have long considered myself and been accused of being a young old fart.
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, hmm.

Can I claim to be 70?

Drunken lunacy, it is.

I can see this catching on. 15 year olds could self-identify as 18 so they could buy booze.
    I think we've solved the WASPI problem.
  • Options
    Hypothetical scenario - The ECJ agrees with the EU that Art 50 can't be unilaterally revoked, and the DUP stops supporting the Gov't in the house.

What does everyone do in that scenario ?
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, for pension purposes, yes.

I also consider myself to be an eight year old, and will request 50% of the child benefits my parents will receive.

I shall also consider myself a 19 year old, take out a full student loan, slap it into an ISA and, because I'll be earning below the minimum (living on the pension) not have to pay it back. Well, that or I'll identify as being aged beyond the repayment term limit.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hypothetical scenario - The ECJ agrees with the EU that Art 50 can't be unilaterally revoked, and the DUP stops supporting the Gov't in the house.

Panic?
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, hmm.

Can I claim to be 70?

Drunken lunacy, it is.

Actually might as well go for 85 to get the free TV license.
  • Options

I also consider myself to be an eight year old, and will request 50% of the child benefits my parents will receive.

I shall also consider myself a 19 year old, take out a full student loan, slap it into an ISA and, because I'll be earning below the minimum (living on the pension) not have to pay it back. Well, that or I'll identify as being aged beyond the repayment term limit.

Identify as 19 to get the full student loan, then identify as 70 to not have to pay it back !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    She'd do well to ignore the bigoted pricks and push through on Labour votes. That we as a country are in truck to ten frothing religious fundamentalists is a national embarrassment.
  • Options
    Looks like Tester is going to make it, just.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, Thunderdome!
  • Options
    Offtopic, listened to a radio 4 investigation into housing benefit fraud, particularly prevalent around Stamford Hill in London.
    Was quite staggering the extent of it that goes on there.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    +1
    Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:
    She'd do well to ignore the bigoted pricks and push through on Labour votes. That we as a country are in truck to ten frothing religious fundamentalists is a national embarrassment.
    +1
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Laugh at the Brexiteers who said No Deal was just Project Fear.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mr. Glenn, hmm.

Can I claim to be 70?

Drunken lunacy, it is.

Actually might as well go for 85 to get the free TV license.
    You don't want to overdo it because they might put you into a care home.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:
    A delicious irony for all the remainers who voted Labour in 2017.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Man Utd are playing Juve again tonight. When they met a couple of weeks back at Old Trafford it was 1-0 to the Italian club – very close to a complete victory for United.
  • Options

He was always going to make it, just appeared close because they counted all Gianforte's votes first up - now they're finally getting round to his !

Mind you having lumped at short odds to find him 10,000 votes behind when I turned on my phone was a bit of an unpleasent start to the day !
  • Options

The NY Times have given him the tick.
  • Options

Ha ha ha ha ha – what an absolute chump Trumpton is. What a wally!
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, diarrhoea*.

Mr. Anazina, I quite agree. The adverts amuse me, though. People gleeful that they can be so bone idle they don't have to get up to switch a light, or manually put a CD into a stereo that they're willing to put up with an electronic device listening to everything they say.

Crackers.

The new Apple OS has a function whereby you can control your curtains from your laptop. I already own an innovative set of curtains which I can control from my curtains.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    Pulpstar said:

Disagree.

Bottom line is that we either no deal now - while completely unprepared - or sign up to this contested backstop with the option to resile from it in the future, which would then have, more or less, the effect of a no deal exit, but with time to prepare.
    And, of course, that circumstance need never happen - while a no deal exit in a few months’ time is otherwise inevitable.

I just don’t get the obsession with the small print.

• Options
    Mr. Anazina, reminds me of a Bob Monkhouse joke.

"The Americans have developed an incredible new weather forecasting system. Anywhere in the world, you can find your address and see what the weather is at that very moment.

We have that in Britain. It's called a window."

Anyway, my multi-aged self must depart for bed/a wild night out/doing the housework/relaxing.
  • Options
    He really is in full on flaming asshole mode this morning.

• Options
    So, Trump impeachment has only shortened from 2.74 to 2.3 on the Dem win. I think it's now value - not because of an impetuous early move by the Dems (though that is possible) but because they won't be able to hold back on Mueller's presumed findings (or if Mueller is fired).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Disagree.

Bottom line is that we either no deal now - while completely unprepared - or sign up to this contested backstop with the option to resile from it in the future, which would then have, more or less, the effect of a no deal exit, but with time to prepare.
    And, of course, that circumstance need never happen - while a no deal exit in a few months’ time is otherwise inevitable.

The ERG, DUP and others are clearly worried that if they do not get what they want now, then no matter how much time there is to prepare they will never get a chance to get what they want again. It is not entirely an unreasonable fear.

But all those who claim to despise no deal therefore need to decide if they are willing to see this crap deal through, or if they are willing to accept the increased risk of no deal because of the ERG and DUP fears.

Frankly they should - if the DUP are royally pissed off by the Brexit deal then there has to be a chance they will stop backing the government and even, despite current claims, vote to bring it down at some point after the deal is done, so people can prevent no deal and still try to get a GE to take down the government.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    It’s amusing that Theresa May is letting Cabinet Ministers review the Withdrawal Agreement without the detail about the Irish border.

And to think people say she doesn’t have a sense of humour!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:
    A delicious irony for all the remainers who voted Labour in 2017.
    Yes, it's obviously their fault.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

Identify as 19 to get the full student loan, then identify as 70 to not have to pay it back !
    Pah! I am going to identify myself as an international governmental institution and thus pay no tax at all.
  • Options

So, Trump impeachment has only shortened from 2.74 to 2.3 on the Dem win. I think it's now value - not because of an impetuous early move by the Dems (though that is possible) but because they won't be able to hold back on Mueller's presumed findings (or if Mueller is fired).

Yeah... I am tempted to put a small bet on Mitt for the 2020 nomination, on the grounds that he’s the only Republican left in office not an utterly craven enabler of Trump.

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

It’s amusing that Theresa May is letting Cabinet Ministers review the Withdrawal Agreement without the detail about the Irish border.

And to think people say she doesn’t have a sense of humour!

She's doing it for your own good.

Having bunch of thick ideologues go over the fine print can only end in misery.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I believe a point will arise when some GOP members with high ambitions decide that being against Trump is the politically smart move. There is ample evidence from the 2016 election that most of the senior members of the GOP dislike Trump, so there may yet be a rush to wield the knife.
  • Options
    Can I self identify as a Royal Duke?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Pah! I am going to identify myself as an international governmental institution and thus pay no tax at all.
    And I a lesser developed state (which I’m sure plenty of people would confirm), and put in for a slice of the 17bn aid budget.

• Options

You don’t already ?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Does that affect the Senate forecast?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Disagree.

The ERG, DUP and others are clearly worried that if they do not get what they want now, then no matter how much time there is to prepare they will never get a chance to get what they want again. It is not entirely an unreasonable fear.

But all those who claim to despise no deal therefore need to decide if they are willing to see this crap deal through, or if they are willing to accept the increased risk of no deal because of the ERG and DUP fears.

Frankly they should - if the DUP are royally pissed off by the Brexit deal then there has to be a chance they will stop backing the government and even, despite current claims, vote to bring it down at some point after the deal is done, so people can prevent no deal and still try to get a GE to take down the government.
    Sounds reasonable.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I identify as a pirate. But can I get the NHS to amputate one of my legs, me hearties?
  • Options
    Looks like the Senate is going to end up 54-46, at the upper end of expectations for the GOP.
  • Options

I identify as a pirate. But can I get the NHS to amputate one of my legs, me hearties?

No, but we do have a yard arm ready for you...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

You don’t already ?

A few years ago I self identified as a member of the Qatari Royal Family.

It is a long story, but my friends told these very beautiful women that I was a member of the aforementioned Royal Family.

It was an amazing night.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

url says it all!

Nah, I have fat fingers.

I hope you didn’t get one from your girlfriend at the time asking you to get home as fast as you can so you can kick her puppy.
This discussion has been closed.