Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The main loser from the MidTerms looks set to be “Big Pharma”

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    geoffw said:

Hi Beverly_C ... "otherwise we are heading for the WTO cliff or EU vassalage".
    Which of those would you choose?

Vasslage. The economic effects should be less bad than falling off the WTO cliff. I have no desire to see the UK driven into the brick wall of Leave's fantasy, although, in the aftermath, watching them deny it is their fault would be highly entertaining.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966

As someone who voted Remain, and who continues to think we'll be fortunate if Brexit can be contained to be merely a mistake rather than a disaster, I have to say that the only significant new piece of information since the referendum is that the economic damage from Brexit uncertainty, so far at least, is less than anyone expected. It's hard to see how that justifies a rerun of the People's Vote. That's the plain truth of the matter; sorry guys'n'gals.

Agree with your general point. However, the sheer incompetence of those who advocated Leave surely counts as a "significant new piece of information"?
  • Options

As someone who voted Remain, and who continues to think we'll be fortunate if Brexit can be contained to be merely a mistake rather than a disaster, I have to say that the only significant new piece of information since the referendum is that the economic damage from Brexit uncertainty, so far at least, is less than anyone expected. It's hard to see how that justifies a rerun of the People's Vote. That's the plain truth of the matter; sorry guys'n'gals.

Fine. If I am wrong about effects of Brexit then the UK will be fine and I will have egg on my face. I can live with that.

If you are wrong, the UK will be screwed up. I hope you can live with that.
    Why should I have trouble living with being shown to be right? If voters want to ignore warnings from people like me and David Cameron, more fool them, but as a democrat I'd say that's better than the alternative.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Agree with your general point. However, the sheer incompetence of those who advocated Leave surely counts as a "significant new piece of information"?
    No, we knew that.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

So why did we have a referendum asking if we wanted to remain or leave?

To appease the headbangers
    Sounds far fetched to me...

But lets assume for a moment Brexit really can't be delivered, that means your admitting the UK is NOT "sovereign" (even though you always claimed we were) as in your own words it's "impossible" to enact the sovereign will of the people...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

No, we knew that.

It was in fact part of the plan.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

But lets assume for a moment Brexit really can't be delivered, that means your admitting the UK is NOT "sovereign" (even though you always claimed we were) as in your own words it's "impossible" to enact the sovereign will of the people...

No, I am confirming that Brexit as sold at the referendum was a fantasy.

If you voted for it, you were mugged
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,154

geoffw said:

Vasslage. The economic effects should be less bad than falling off the WTO cliff. I have no desire to see the UK driven into the brick wall of Leave's fantasy, although, in the aftermath, watching them deny it is their fault would be highly entertaining.
    Thank you.
    Very telling.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

If the sovreign will of the people was to abolish death, we could not enact it. There are some things that "sovereign will" cannot accomplish.

The world is more interconnected than at any previous time in history. There are more limits on "sovereign will" than ever before. It is called progress.

https://youtu.be/yCm9Ng0bbEQ
  • Options

dixiedean said:

No, we knew that.
    Fair enough. Must say the breathtaking full extent of it continues to confound me on an almost daily basis. Maybe I was naive...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Even David Cameron said more than once that "if we want to leave we can leave" - Now your saying we can't?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Thank you.
    Very telling.
    Telling? That I am prepared to chose the lesser of two evils?

More like common sense....
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

GIN1138 said:

Brexit can't be delivered.

Why?
    Okay, Brexit can't be delivered in less than 10 years and possibly not in less than 20- by which time public opinion will have swung against it and one or probably both of the main parties will be committed to remaining/rejoining. So there is at best a very narrow window whereby we could just about slip out if a set of unlikely but not impossible circumstances arise. Common sense cries out to stop it now.
    I think Corbyn would be a disaster. What he wants wouldn’t work in my view in ten or twenty years, by which time anyway, I’ve little doubt opinion will have changed and we will have royally booted him out big time. However, if he wins 330 seats next time he can form a narrow majority govt and have a go. What wouldn’t be right is preventing him from forming a govt for nearly three years whilst we all moan about the impact his policies would have, and hankering for a rerun of the GE before he’s even sat down in Downing St because “ we think know more now about his policies than we did”.

Do we live in a free country with a responsive democracy or not? If not, I fear the consequences for our society, because the ballot box will demonstrably have been shown not to count.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    edited November 2018
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

As this lamentable Government confirmed in the Brexit White Paper, we were always sovereign, it just didn’t feel like it.

Do you disagree?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Even David Cameron said more than once that "if we want to leave we can leave" - Now your saying we can't?

We can leave any time we like.

We can't deliver Brexit as sold during the referendum. It is a fantasy.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

No. We CAN leave. The question is, how much economic damage are we prepared to tolerate.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

As this lamentable Government confirmed in the Brexit White Paper, we were always sovereign, it just didn’t feel like it.

Do you disagree?
    If we can't leave when we want to because it's "impossible" then obviously no were were not sovereign?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Unlike the folk on here who are tremendously well informed, though mysteriously not especially good at predictions, most people would assume that if the government offers them a choice of options then both options are viable. I certainly assumed that before the vote was called some office somewhere in Whitehall had put together a plan for how it was to be implemented. Mugged is a pretty good adjective, and it applies to remain voters like myself as well. I did think through how to vote before I cast it - but it turns out I needn't have bothered putting in the effort. The guys selling it hadn't.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Do you disagree?
    (Post script. Much as most of our trade _is_ via Dover, it just didn’t feel like it. To the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union that is.)
  • Options

Unlike the folk on here who are tremendously well informed, though mysteriously not especially good at predictions, most people would assume that if the government offers them a choice of options then both options are viable. I certainly assumed that before the vote was called some office somewhere in Whitehall had put together a plan for how it was to be implemented. Mugged is a pretty good adjective, and it applies to remain voters like myself as well. I did think through how to vote before I cast it - but it turns out I needn't have bothered putting in the effort. The guys selling it hadn't.

In July 2016, on the eve of his appointment as secretary of state for Brexit, David Davis predicted that the whole thing would be a doddle. Brussels would cater to Britain’s needs and the prime minister would simultaneously negotiate “a free trade area massively larger than the EU”. Within a year, Davis had changed his tune. It was complicated, he conceded. In June 2017, he told an audience of business leaders that the intricacies of the negotiations “make the Nasa moonshot look quite simple”. In July 2018, Davis resigned.

He is not the only gung-ho Eurosceptic to meet a steep learning curve in government. His successor, Dominic Raab, is at a different stage on the journey, but the trajectory looks familiar. His speech to Tory conference this year had the swagger of the Brexit buccaneer who has yet to experience the pitch and roll of open water. “If the EU want a deal, they need to get serious,” he said. He did not specify what aspect of the continental position was, in his eminent opinion, unserious.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/08/dominic-raab-britain-island-ignorance-brexit-secretary
  • Options
    edited November 2018

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

No. We CAN leave. The question is, how much economic damage are we prepared to tolerate.
    Yes. We are also sovereign to declare war on the USA, Russia and China at the same time. It is not impossible.
    The issue is whether it is a good idea or not.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No, we knew that.
    Fair enough. Must say the breathtaking full extent of it continues to confound me on an almost daily basis. Maybe I was naive...
    As a party member Richard no doubt sees the abject idiocy of the Conservative Leavers at close quarters. I have to say the complete ineptness of every Leaver who has sought to effect Brexit has not surprised me.

I’m not a fan of a second referendum unless it looks likely to produce a decisive result either way. At present it doesn’t. As a result Britain is entering a long term tailspin.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Do you disagree?
    If we can't leave when we want to because it's "impossible" then obviously no were were not sovereign?
    Sigh. We can and are leaving. But our destination won’t be the promised sunlit uplands. You really don’t get it after all this time and these millions of words.
  • Options
    I've just watched the BBC's documentary on Charles at 70.

I think it was supposed to provide us with reassurance that he gets the difference between being heir and sovereign, and to show him as a reasoned human being.

I'm afraid I wasn't convinced.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,634

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

A diamond hard Brexit was always possible, and still is.

What makes it disastrous is the near total incompetence of the Tory government to prepare for it.

We have spent the last 12 months trying to break our word that we agreed last December in the WA. The Tories have sown the wind, they will reap the whirlwind.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1060655710395080705

Perhaps, now that the current Brexit Sec.y is having to deal with hard facts, he is having to prepare his excuse so he can resign and then return to the comparative calm of the backbenches where he can look forward to someone else sorting out those tricky Brexit issues..... ;)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

... set against the benefits of leaving.
    These are obviously judgements. I think what economic damage might occur will be in the short run because of the disruption. In the longer run it will be pure benefit as we run our economy to suit ourselves.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Do you disagree?
    (Post script. Much as most of our trade _is_ via Dover, it just didn’t feel like it. To the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union that is.)
    Our trade is 55% to 60% RoW and 45% to 40% EU. So how can most of our trade come via Dover?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

In the longer run it will be pure benefit as we run our economy to suit ourselves.

Unless running our economy to suit ourselves involves long multinational supply chains.

In which case we're fucked
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

Foxy said:

Floater said:

kyf_100 said:

Floater said:

I believe we already had a peoples vote?

oh, you mean vote again until you get the result you want.

How very EU
    No. Vote again because we now have a much clearer idea of the brick wall the Leavers are pointing us at.
    And if people still vote to leave, what then? Will you accept the result then? The polls have hardly changed in two and a half years, despite well over two years of relentless campaigning from the remain side.

A second referendum, particularly a "people's" vote that can be framed as the establishment dismissing the first one for the wrong type of people voting for the wrong sort of thing, would have no guarantee of victory.

So what then? A third? A fourth? How many will it take?
    If people reinforce the Leave vote, then we Leave no matter how bad or disastrous it will be. But there cannot be any recriminations from Leavers if the whole thing is a pile of poop.

If the country is certain it wants to indulge in a national hiri-kiri then so be it, but we should have the opportunity to step back from the precipice.
    Yet we were told there would only be one chance ot say remain - we were told that again and again.

Of course now remain lost they want to forget all of that

As I say how very EU
    The calls for a #peoplesvote are not coming from the EU, they are coming from Britons in Britain.

23.6.16 was a people's vote.
    We had a 'people's vote' on 2015-05-07. We had another on 2017-06-08. Whilst many Conservatives might want to wipe the latter from their memory, I am unconvinced many people believe it was not a 'people's vote' or in any way invalid because of its proximity to a previous vote.
  • Options

I think it was supposed to provide us with reassurance that he gets the difference between being heir and sovereign, and to show him as a reasoned human being.

He's going to be a disaster... Luckily it'll be a relatively short reign so the monarchy should manage to survive whatever damage he does to it. :D
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Thank you.
    Very telling.

You are looking at things factually. Brexit is not about facts, it is about emotion. Emotion on both sides of the argument.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He's going to be a disaster... Luckily it'll be a relatively short reign so the monarchy should manage to survive whatever damage he does to it. :D
    I hope you’re right.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

geoffw said:

In the longer run it will be pure benefit as we run our economy to suit ourselves.

Unless running our economy to suit ourselves involves long multinational supply chains.

I wonder how other successful economies manage not being in the EU?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Scott_P said:

geoffw said:

I wonder how other successful economies manage, not being in the EU?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

GIN1138 said:

Brexit can't be delivered.

Why?
    Okay, Brexit can't be delivered in less than 10 years and possibly not in less than 20- by which time public opinion will have swung against it and one or probably both of the main parties will be committed to remaining/rejoining. So there is at best a very narrow window whereby we could just about slip out if a set of unlikely but not impossible circumstances arise. Common sense cries out to stop it now.
    I think Corbyn would be a disaster. What he wants wouldn’t work in my view in ten or twenty years, by which time anyway, I’ve little doubt opinion will have changed and we will have royally booted him out big time. However, if he wins 330 seats next time he can form a narrow majority govt and have a go. What wouldn’t be right is preventing him from forming a govt for nearly three years whilst we all moan about the impact his policies would have, and hankering for a rerun of the GE before he’s even sat down in Downing St because “ we think know more now about his policies than we did”.

Do we live in a free country with a responsive democracy or not? If not, I fear the consequences for our society, because the ballot box will demonstrably have been shown not to count.
    The better analogy would be that Corbyn ran on a manifesto that had no detail at all, and having won only then started working on how he was going put the programme into practice - only to discover that his programme didn't command a majority in the House of Commons. In that case demonstrations calling for his resignation and a fresh election would be perfectly reasonable.

And even then, we'd get the chance to vote him out in 5 years if the Labour Party itself hadn't already done so.

The ballot box would still count.

Getting back to the real world, if the government chose to cancel Brexit tomorrow - which let's face it is not impossible - there is nothing stopping voters switching to UKIP or insisting that their MP supports Brexit in the future. The Lib Dem MP in Eastbourne has made just such a commitment to his electors.

https://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/eastbourne-mp-explains-why-he-did-not-vote-on-brexit-bill-1-8541529

Abandoning Brexit now does not threaten democracy and if people want the country out we will leave - but we can't do so without putting in the hard work of arranging how we are going to unpick the jumper we've knitted first.
  • Options

Perhaps, now that the current Brexit Sec.y is having to deal with hard facts, he is having to prepare his excuse so he can resign and then return to the comparative calm of the backbenches where he can look forward to someone else sorting out those tricky Brexit issues..... ;)
    Desperate rear guard, dead cat stunt, to cover for the news that he wasn't aware that we transport a lot of goods between France and UK via Calais and Dover.

Pathetic.

Raab has been busted as not up to the higher rank of politics.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

These are obviously judgements. I think what economic damage might occur will be in the short run because of the disruption. In the longer run it will be pure benefit as we run our economy to suit ourselves.
    Two points:

1. The international situation (both EU and rest-of-world) means that there will be constraints on how "... we run our economy to suit ourselves". The world of today is very different from 50 or 100 years ago.

2. "The short run" may be decades long. It took the Irish about 70 years to get over their split. It certainly will not be measured in weeks or months.
  • Options

Monarchy is not about ability or suitability. It is about institutionalising inheiritance.

I think Charles is fine, but even if he is crap, he is still king. If we want to assess and select a candidate on merit rather than genetic lottery then we should have an elected head of state.

The programme on BBC2 on "WW1: The Final Hours" was compelling history though, well worth watching.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited November 2018
    Scott_P said:
    I don't subscribe to any papers or magazines, and its an insult to suggest I am misinformed by some journo because I do not.

The journos are probably more misinformed than the rest of us, they just pick up fag ends to make a story.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Monarchy is not about ability or suitability. It is about institutionalising inheiritance.

I think Charles is fine, but even if he is crap, he is still king. If we want to assess and select a candidate on merit rather than genetic lottery then we should have an elected head of state.

The programme on BBC2 on "WW1: The Final Hours" was compelling history though, well worth watching.
    Monarchy = Socialism!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Desperate rear guard, dead cat stunt, to cover for the news that he wasn't aware that we transport a lot of goods between France and UK via Calais and Dover.

Pathetic.

To be fair to Raab, the strategic significance of the Dover Calais Link is a highly specialised topic, quite opaque without years of experience or technical qualifications such as GCSE geography.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    4 by elections today. Con defence in Devon and 3 Labour defences in Ealing and Harlow(x2)'
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    https://twitter.com/JGreenDC/status/1060632740775841792?s=19

John Yoo thinks the sitting president is a god emporer so for him to say its an illegal action is pretty profound.
  • Options

I don't subscribe to any papers or magazines, and its an insult to suggest I am misinformed by some journo because I do not.

Are you the Secretary of State for media? Does your job involve papers and magazines?

Then perhaps your reading habits are less relevant...
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Thank you.
    Very telling.

You are looking at things factually. Brexit is not about facts, it is about emotion. Emotion on both sides of the argument.
    You are probably right.

Well, let the Leavers get on with it. It is their project, good luck to them.

Good night
  • Options

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Two points:

1. The international situation (both EU and rest-of-world) means that there will be constraints on how "... we run our economy to suit ourselves". The world of today is very different from 50 or 100 years ago.

2. "The short run" may be decades long. It took the Irish about 70 years to get over their split. It certainly will not be measured in weeks or months.
    1: we can sign up or not to many of those constraints - our decision.
    2: around 2 to 4 years imo.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The journos are probably more misinformed than the rest of us, they just pick up fag ends to make a story.
    aaah I see he writes for the New Statesman, . The title of the rag is misinformation in itself. Its a left wing rag innit>?? It calls itself liberal and independent.. LOL
  • Options

Foxy said:

Monarchy = Socialism!
    Only for those who understand neither.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

To be fair to Raab, the strategic significance of the Dover Calais Link is a highly specialised topic, quite opaque without years of experience or technical qualifications such as GCSE geography.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1060479972480110592
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

We are governed by morons.
  • Options

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Two points:

Yes Ireland voted to leave the U.K. despite the economics of the time. I think the Irish Free State is a good analogy for us. Get out, and the gradual salami slicing will work to separate us over time.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Unfair on morons.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    geoffw said:

Scott_P said:

geoffw said:

It really is a mystery .......

• Options
    slade said:

4 by elections today. Con defence in Devon and 3 Labour defences in Ealing and Harlow(x2)'

Thanks.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    GIN1138 said:

Relative to his mother maybe - but he has very, very long lived genes. He could still reign for 30 years!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Actually our company does sell more to Inner (not Outer admittedly!) Mongolia than Ireland. Really!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Cheap shot

Some of the shit being thrown at politicians is thrown by morons, whether they be MP's or Journos..
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Actually our company does sell more to Inner (not Outer admittedly!) Mongolia than Ireland. Really!

:smile:
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It’s perfectly possible to support the institution whilst criticising the behaviour of the individual within it. I would have used even stronger language about Edward VIII.

There are rules about being a leading member of the royal family, and the heir, but Charles seems to think the rules don’t really apply to him, or can be bent.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

GIN1138 said:

Relative to his mother maybe - but he has very, very long lived genes. He could still reign for 30 years!
    Another cheap shot.. by gin 1138 He has no idea how Charles will behave as PM, just like no one knew how the current Queen was going to reign. If Twitter had been about in 1952 one could imagine the bile chucked at her because of her youth.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pathetic.

It does show we’ve grown to be overly reliant on the port of Dover, at the expense of many of our other ports.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Fine. If I am wrong about effects of Brexit then the UK will be fine and I will have egg on my face. I can live with that.

If you are wrong, the UK will be screwed up. I hope you can live with that.
    Why should I have trouble living with being shown to be right? If voters want to ignore warnings from people like me and David Cameron, more fool them, but as a democrat I'd say that's better than the alternative.
    David Cameron said leaving would not be a disaster.

Was he lying?

David Cameron put a vote to the Country on an issue we are now being told equates to economic suicide.

Doesn't really encourage me to trust a Conservative party if they were that reckless.

• Options
    welshowl said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Two points:

Yes Ireland voted to leave the U.K. despite the economics of the time. I think the Irish Free State is a good analogy for us. Get out, and the gradual salami slicing will work to separate us over time.
    The early days of the IFS then ROI are not exactly glorious, poor and a land people departed from, with a declining population. As late as 1970, 90% of Irish exports were to the UK. Of course things transformed and it prospered after joining the EU.

If we are to follow the same trajectory, why not skip the 50 years of dependence and go straight to the EU membership?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Natural resources.

Apparently the grand Brexit plan is to export the industrial amounts of stupid they have been generating for 2 years
  • Options
    Yet another thread where the more intense Leavers work backwards from their hatred of the EU to deduce that everything is going to be ok (to a given value of ok).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Floater said:

Natural resources.

Apparently the grand Brexit plan is to export the industrial amounts of stupid they have been generating for 2 years
    Let me guess: innovative jams?
  • Options
    Raab unable to organise piss up in Brewery.

Was unaware they manufacture beer
  • Options
    Foxy said:

welshowl said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Two points:

The early days of the IFS then ROI are not exactly glorious, poor and a land people departed from, with a declining population. As late as 1970, 90% of Irish exports were to the UK. Of course things transformed and it prospered after joining the EU.

If we are to follow the same trajectory, why not skip the 50 years of dependence and go straight to the EU membership?
    The analogy l use is not 100% of course. We are in a far better position than the IFS was at the outset.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    IF the EU agrees to this, it has moved hugely. Remember it is still an organisation that thinks that membership of the CU and membership of the single market rise and fall together.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
    Floater said:

Was he lying?

David Cameron put a vote to the Country on an issue we are now being told equates to economic suicide.

Doesn't really encourage me to trust a Conservative party if they were that reckless.

One of my absolute pet hates is accusations of lying when a politician expresses an opinion or prediction about what might happen. Do you not know the difference between a lie and a prediction which turns out to be wrong?

As for whether leaving will be a disaster or not, that depends on what deal we get with our EU friends, and most of all on the vote in parliament on the deal. If parliament rejects a deal, yes, there is a risk it will be a disaster. I've planned my affairs to take account of that, I suggest others do the same, as far as they can.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

What do you sell, tent pegs for yurts?

Funnily enough I had an enquiry from Mongolia a couple of months back. I did a quick reci and it looks a lot more prosperous than I had imagined. Could well be a growth market.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Pathetic.

It does show we’ve grown to be overly reliant on the port of Dover, at the expense of many of our other ports.
    Really, are you serious? You’ll be saying we’ve grown too reliant on the sun for daylight next and should give the moon a fair chance.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    geoffw said:

Scott_P said:

geoffw said:

Maybe not being parked on the EU's doorstep helps?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Monarchy = Socialism!
    From the programme I learned that the three negotiators at the armistice agreement were Foch(French - OK), Wemyss (British - who?) and Germany (Erzburger - double who). Foch became a national hero, Wemyss a one generation member of the House of Lords, and Erzburger was assassinated by right wingers.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Pathetic.

Buy a map.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Funnily enough I had an enquiry from Mongolia a couple of months back. I did a quick reci and it looks a lot more prosperous than I had imagined. Could well be a growth market.
    No. Engineering products.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

GIN1138 said:

Another cheap shot.. by gin 1138 He has no idea how Charles will behave as PM, just like no one knew how the current Queen was going to reign. If Twitter had been about in 1952 one could imagine the bile chucked at her because of her youth.
    Edward VII was expected to be a disaster, but actually turned out to be pretty good.

Edward VIII on the other hand looked every inch a king (at least as far as the public was concerned) and look how that turned out.

• Options

welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

• Options

welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Mongolia is a member of the next group of countries to succeed the BRICS.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Well done.
  • Options
    slade said:

Foxy said:

Monarchy = Socialism!
    From the programme I learned that the three negotiators at the armistice agreement were Foch(French - OK), Wemyss (British - who?) and Germany (Erzburger - double who). Foch became a national hero, Wemyss a one generation member of the House of Lords, and Erzburger was assassinated by right wingers.
    Wemyss was First Sea Lord at the time. He is little known as the Navy saw little action after Jutland.
  • Options
    The Brexiteers have found an alternative to Dover and the channel tunnel that provides access to a unique, hitherto untapped market.

In April 2019, David Davis will unveil a new tunnel crossing. With our entrance in Yorkshire, the new tunnel provides a direct multidimensional link to 1950s Britain enabling us to trade with the best possible partner, ourselves.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Brexiteers have found an alternative to Dover and the channel tunnel that provides access to a unique, hitherto untapped market.

In April 2019, David Davis will unveil a new tunnel crossing. With our entrance in Yorkshire, the new tunnel provides a direct multidimensional link to 1950s Britain enabling us to trade with the best possible partner, ourselves.

Here you go:

https://theloadstar.co.uk/new-po-terminal-elevate-tilbury-post-brexit-rival-port-dover/
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Pathetic.

Buy a map.
    I have maps of all parts of the UK, thanks.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Do you disagree?
    Our trade is 55% to 60% RoW and 45% to 40% EU. So how can most of our trade come via Dover?
    Through Dover to Calais and then to Rotterdam to the rest of the world.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Here you go:

https://theloadstar.co.uk/new-po-terminal-elevate-tilbury-post-brexit-rival-port-dover/
    Let me guess, Raab is favouring a new powerful trade route. Billions of pounds of trade will flow between Tilbury and Dover?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Pathetic.

Really, are you serious? You’ll be saying we’ve grown too reliant on the sun for daylight next and should give the moon a fair chance.
    Yes, I’m serious.

Felixstowe, Harwich, Hull and Southampton are under-utilised ports for European trade, and the ABP have said so. It’s not dissimilar to how recent travails with NAFTA have led Canada to realise it’s overly reliant on trade with the US and needs to develop and diversify its markets.

But, from reading your posts today, you are in ultra partisan mode today. You at your worst.
  • Options
    Kwasi on Question Time. :open_mouth:
  • Options

Floater said:

Was he lying?

One of my absolute pet hates is accusations of lying when a politician expresses an opinion or prediction about what might happen. Do you not know the difference between a lie and a prediction which turns out to be wrong?

As for whether leaving will be a disaster or not, that depends on what deal we get with our EU friends, and most of all on the vote in parliament on the deal. If parliament rejects a deal, yes, there is a risk it will be a disaster. I've planned my affairs to take account of that, I suggest others do the same, as far as they can.
    How does anyone “plan their affairs” to take account of anything? What are your suggestions?

Most of us have very large mortgages, and little savings, with what’s left locked into a big-name managed stakeholder pension.

We can’t really do anything about anything.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Pathetic.

Yes, I’m serious.

Felixstowe, Harwich, Hull and Southampton are under-utilised ports for European trade, and the ABP have said so. It’s not dissimilar to how recent travails with NAFTA have led Canada to realise it’s overly reliant on trade with the US and needs to develop and diversify its markets.

But, from reading your posts today, you are in ultra partisan mode today. You at your worst.
    I have no confidence in this government. That is not partisan.
This discussion has been closed.