Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A massive Westminster day ends with TMay still in place

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited November 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A massive Westminster day ends with TMay still in place

Although I disagree with her on so many things you can but admire the way she is holding on and battling forward in spite of all the obstacles and setbacks. This was always going to be a very difficult period for the Prime Minister who took over shortly after the referendum in July 2016 never more so than today.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited November 2018
    First like Jack Leach
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Unlike her enemies, she ended the day with her dignity intact.
  • Options
    Coy tracey
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258
    Fourth
  • Options
    My, she is tenacious, isn't she?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    May is easy to shift. It just requires the Brexiteers to be able to count.

Hang on, may be a slight flaw in the plan...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

Unflushable.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Is there a list somewhere of those MPs who've publicly admitted to sending a letter so far?
  • Options
    Clearly the letters to Brady have all been posted early on pb.com threads and lost in the bowels of the vanilla commenting system.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Apparently the ERG have decided not to send in all their letters yet as they do not have the numbers to topple her which means a VONC now would see her stay in place for a year and she could not then be replaced until after Brexit according to C4 news earlier
  • Options
    I think we should pay a lot less attention to the ERG in future. They are clearly not the well-organised highly disciplined party within a party that the media have portrayed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Apparently the ERG have decided not to send in all their letters yet

They never had the numbers. And they can't count.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Apparently the ERG have decided not to send in all their letters yet as they do not have the numbers to topple her which means a VONC now would see her stay in place for a year and she could not then be replaced until after Brexit according to C4 news earlier

Feeble. Less ERG more ER?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Our Ambassador to Burma wrote his Master's Thesis on the Oasis song 'Wonderwall' according to 'Inside the FO' on BBC2
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    AndyJS said:

Is there a list somewhere of those MPs who've publicly admitted to sending a letter so far?

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-may-letters-factbox/factbox-who-has-submitted-letters-of-no-confidence-in-pm-may-idUKKCN1NK2AU
  • Options

I think we should pay a lot less attention to the ERG in future.

If Cameron had faced down the swivel-eyed loons we wouldn't be in this mess
  • Options
    If the 48-threshold is reached tomorrow does that mean the vote wouldn't happen until Monday so this would be hanging over everyone all weekend with a VONC called but not yet having happened?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    I think it is far too early to call the ERG’s move a failure.

I wish they hadn’t done it, but they generally achieve their objectives when they act.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So why did their unofficial leader call a big press conference and state that he was doing so himself?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I think they should seriously consider re-branding - for a group with that "R" in the title, they seem to do precious little research.
  • Options
    alex. said:

So why did their unofficial leader call a big press conference and state that he was doing so himself?

He's a twat. And can't count
  • Options

AndyJS said:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-may-letters-factbox/factbox-who-has-submitted-letters-of-no-confidence-in-pm-may-idUKKCN1NK2AU
    Thanks very much. 14 isn't very many to declare openly.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I wish they hadn’t done it, but they generally achieve their objectives when they act.

Only because no-one has called their bluff before. Now it has been called and we find that Jacob wasn't holding a winning hand after all.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

For an organisation that has been “achieving its objectives” for a long period of time, they sure don’t seem very happy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I think we should pay a lot less attention to the ERG in future.

If Cameron had faced down the swivel-eyed loons we wouldn't be in this mess
    He didn't even need to face them down. All he needed to do was ignore them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Anybody heard anything from Javid today? Hunt? Boris?

• Options

Mortimer said:

Only because no-one has called their bluff before. Now it has been called and we find that Jacob wasn't holding a winning hand after all.
    If Brady received the 48th letter the afternoon, for example, I doubt anything would have happened yet. And probably wouldn’t until Monday.
  • Options
    alex. said:

For an organisation that has been “achieving its objectives” for a long period of time, they sure don’t seem very happy.

Maybe they are tired of all the winning. So much winning. The best.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think they should seriously consider re-branding - for a group with that "R" in the title, they seem to do precious little research.
    Nor, does it seem, they are actually a group...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That has been so obvious for so long. They are a shambles
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

In that case, May ought to be encouraging her loyalists to send in letters to settle the issue for a year.
  • Options

He didn't even need to face them down. All he needed to do was ignore them.

Sadly true
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

HYUFD said:

Ironically, they are European, even if they don't want to be.
  • Options

If the 48-threshold is reached tomorrow does that mean the vote wouldn't happen until Monday so this would be hanging over everyone all weekend with a VONC called but not yet having happened?

Frankly I do not care. TM would win hands down
  • Options

HYUFD said:

They look foolish and cheap. May looks honourable. She won the day.
  • Options
    O/T:

Greens almost there in Germany.

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Germany, Infratest dimap poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 26% (+1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 23% (+4)
    AfD-EFDD: 14% (-2)
    SPD-S&D: 14%
    LINKE-LEFT: 9%
    FDP-ALDE: 8% (-3)

Field work: 12/11/18 – 14/11/18
    Sample size: 1,506"
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Mogg apparently has had to pull back after divisions emerged at the ERG meeting of about 30-40 ERG MPs tonight with reservations over launcing a VONC now
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Mogg apparently has had to pull back after divisions emerged at the ERG meeting of about 30-40 ERG MPs tonight with reservations over launcing a VONC now
    Pathetic.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I would just like to say that Rees Mogg is a prat of epic proportions.

A demain...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Foxy said:

Unflushable.
    Is she a floater?

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jonathan said:

Unlike her enemies, she ended the day with her dignity intact.

Not so sure about that

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

If Brady received the 48th letter the afternoon, for example, I doubt anything would have happened yet. And probably wouldn’t until Monday.
    Yes. That is possible. I made the argument myself earlier.

I suppose I was expecting that they would know who had sent a letter in, even if some of those who had didn't want to be public about it. But this doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

She should get a dozen or so of her supporters to put letters in to provoke a VoNC.

But she won't - she too ethical for that.
  • Options
    Re Thread header - your first sentence absolutely summarises my feelings too Mike.
  • Options
    Mogg is Tony Marlow, circa 1995.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

She should get a dozen or so of her supporters to put letters in to provoke a VoNC.

But she won't - she too ethical for that.
    I think she is wise not to dignify the moggsters by calling her own vnoc

Today has seen ERG exposed as a sham and no doubt added many to TM cause in her mps
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,958
    48th - which is about 30 more than Mogg can count to by the looks of it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Why do the words "piss up" and "in a brewery" spring to mind in whenever a Brexiteer hoves into view?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

AfD also level with SPD, even if Greens get closer to the CDU, CDU + AfD are now on 40%, 3% ahead of SPD + Greens on 37%.

The main movement is still SPD to Green, especially as the CDU are also up 1% in this poll
  • Options
    Talking of Bridgen's brigade.... this has aged well

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1062831927231741953
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

14 last I heard.
  • Options
    I wonder if letters have been withdrawn today. I would not be surprised. If I were Brady I would actively confirm the old ones were still active.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258

HYUFD said:

And they certainly aren't very European.
  • Options

It's a very big 'if' by the look of it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The damage to the Brexit cause from having Rees Mogg as their most prominent spokesman must be incalculable. He looks like a caricature of upper class twit of the year and if Theresa May gets to stay on she'll largely owe it to Jacob.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I wonder if letters have been withdrawn today. I would not be surprised. If I were Brady I would actively confirm the old ones were still active.

I am not sure he is allowed to comment on the numbers until 48 are confirmed
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Jonathan said:

Yeah I imagine some people panic withdrew after Mogg's stupid stunt.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The damage to the Brexit cause from having Rees Mogg as their most prominent spokesman must be incalculable. He looks like a caricature of upper class twit of the year and if Theresa May gets to stay on she'll largely owe it to Jacob.

I agree
  • Options
    Roger said:

Rogerdamus has just doomed the PM...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

They can't even knife their leader properly. Useless pillocks.
  • Options
    When the story of Brexit is written, the change of editor at the Daily Mail may prove to be decisive
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

AfD also level with SPD, even if Greens get closer to the CDU, CDU + AfD are now on 40%, 3% ahead of SPD + Greens on 37%.

The main movement is still SPD to Green, especially as the CDU are also up 1% in this poll
    What the CDU plus AfD are is irrelevant. The CDU will not work with them. Far more likely to work with Greens, as in Hesse. That is a clear majority.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I am not sure he is allowed to comment on the numbers until 48 are confirmed
    I'm surprised I have to say, but it seems they haven't got the numbers. Pathetic.
  • Options
    I get the impression that the serious politicians said as little as possible today.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Bloody hell.

Talk about the editorship being in new hands.

Stunning from the Mail...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Need a chess grandmaster....Don’t 90% of chess matches end up in a drawn out stalemate these days?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

When the story of Brexit is written, the change of editor at the Daily Mail may prove to be decisive

And their circulation is up
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited November 2018
    Tellls you what muppets the Tory Brexiteers are that Graham Brady still hasn’t received 48 letters after May produces a complete capitluation to the EU over Brexit. Tory Brexiteers are all mouth and no trousers.
  • Options
    Dacre is gone.

• Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,589
    edited November 2018
    Jonathan said:

I get the impression that the serious politicians said as little as possible today.

Didn't hear a peep out of certain Cabinet ministers, Javid, Hammond etc.

Much like yesterday, they let the idiots rush to the 24 hour news channels, and sat it out. Wise.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Scott_P said:
    Calls the Brexiteers “peacocking saboteurs”.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Calls the Brexiteers “peacocking saboteurs”.
    180 degree turn in only a few months. Amazing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Hah - I bet he buys stocks at their peak too.
  • Options

Tellls you what muppets the Tory Brexiteers are that Graham Brady still hasn’t received 48 letters after May produces a complete capitluation to the EU over Brexit. Tory Brexiteers are all mouth and no trousers.

Indeed.

It seems changing PM is not quite as easy as ordering Nanny to change another nappy.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No that can't be right Big_G - because we were assured their editorial line would change back to headbanger Brexit as their circulation declined.

Or could it just be that DM readers actually quite admire TMay and respect loyalty?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Bit difficult if the govenment takes the amendments first before the meaningful vote, as has been muted
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Much like yesterday, they let the idiots rush to the 24 hour news channels, and sat it out. Wise.
    Hammond is one of the main reasons the Brexit deal is so toxic as he has refused funding for no deal preparation which means we have no negotiating leverage. Javid is a straw man who blows with the wind.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Scott_P said:
    Very interesting. There could be an HoC majority for that... and it will strengthen the resolve of Conservative Remainers (and soft-Remainers) not to capitulate to May's deal.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Seems the owner has played a blinder.
  • Options

Indeed.

It seems changing PM is not quite as easy as ordering Nanny to change another nappy.
    Very good! :lol:
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    FPT
    The monster of Berlaymont's hatred of Britain wins through.

Fraser:

But the risk, here was always that the EU would take Britain’s best offer then demand more. This is precisely what has just happened. Raab discovered at the last minute that the “backstop” clause for Northern Ireland was no longer a last resort, no longer a bridge to a proper free-trade deal. It was to become the basis on which the final Brexit deal would be built. This had been sneaked into the text at the last minute – with Raab only finding about it once the deal was agreed by No 10.

Perhaps the worst of it was the union. British negotiators picked up word that Martin Selmayr, the chief Brussels bureaucrat, had told his officials that the UK must pay a price for Brexit – and that the price is Northern Ireland. He wanted the Brexit transition deal to be written in such a way that, if the United Kingdom wanted to break free and strike a new arrangement, it would have no choice but to leave Northern Ireland behind.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/15/despite-revulsion-mrs-mays-deal-confident-opponents-wont-move

• Options
    Scott_P said:

"A majority of them just want to get on with it" sounds like common sense has not completely left the cabinet.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Very interesting. There could be an HoC majority for that... and it will strengthen the resolve of Conservative Remainers (and soft-Remainers) not to capitulate to May's deal.
    But as I have just said, amendments are to be voted on first before the vote on the deal
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Jonathan said:

Hammond is one of the main reasons the Brexit deal is so toxic as he has refused funding for no deal preparation which means we have no negotiating leverage. Javid is a straw man who blows with the wind.
    Deleted
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    And when it fails to control immigration, the public will be fuming.

Remain MPs playing silly buggers and not respecting the result won’t end well.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Scott_P said:
    Yes they have. Wood and trees.

Of course you can slice it up and pick out the holes. But back in the real world compromise was going to be needed. We now have a deal on the table that is miles better than Cameron’s offering, and critically changes the direction of the ever closer union ratchet. Take it, get it through, and time is on your side Jacob. Over the years we will separate further. Don’t, and you risk nothing, with all the bitterness still festering ( I really fear for us if we do not leave, and trash democracy in the process without having addressed any of Leavers’ concerns, which will not evaporate no matter how much Adonis et al think they will).

Jacob: Take it.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Just 32% support No Deal with Sky News today, there is no point preparing for it as there is not enough support for it in the country.

If No Deal had 50% support that would be a different matter but it does not

https://news.sky.com/story/majority-of-brits-now-against-brexit-and-back-second-eu-referendum-sky-data-poll-11555078
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Could pass just if Corbyn and McDonnell back it with Labour (bar Hoey, Field and Stringer), LD, SNP, PC, Green + Tory Remainer voters but EEA means free movement and single market and UKIP back with a vengeance
This discussion has been closed.