Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Moggsy’s TM confidence vote gamble could rebound into a confid

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited November 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Moggsy’s TM confidence vote gamble could rebound into a confidence vote on himself

Yesterday the old Etonian father of six, Jacob Rees-Mogg, took a massive gamble when he had an impromptu press conference outside the palace of Westminster in which he declared his lack of confidence in the state-school educated Mrs May. He announced that he had sent a letter calling for a confidence vote and it looked as though the other 47 letters and needed were either there or would be arriving quickly.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First! Like Mrs May & Leave...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959

rcs1000 said:

It is the deal that 50% of Remainers and 75% of Leavers are happy with. It is the deal that reflects the fact that the vote was a close one.

Where do you get these figures? They are in stark contrast to polling so far (Rory Stewart got in trouble for saying something similar - he had to admit he'd conjured them up).
    I invented them, obviously.

But I'm basing them on the pb-selectorate. A clear majority of PB-leavers are supportive of the deal, and around half of PB-remainers.
  • Options
    Hilariously, at his press conference Rees Mogg talked of the immense talent of Johnson, Davis, Raab, McVey and Mordaunt.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Hilariously, at his press conference Rees Mogg talked of the immense talent of Johnson, Davis, Raab, McVey and Mordaunt.

LOL - that was funny! :)
  • Options
    Meanwhile, a Michael Gove-shaped figure lurks in the shadows...
  • Options

Is "talent" a euphemism?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

I disagree with your statement that "The May deal does not leave us as a perpetual vassal state." However, much of what you state is valid, and it may be better to look at the deal as a "cup half full", as the alternatives are likely to be much worse. I was merely highlighting the key issue, as I see things. I am not concerned about the implications for the 6 counties, as they are on the road to rejoining the rest of Ireland to make a whole nation once again.

"Perpetual" means "never ending or changing".

I will bet you £5 that the UK-EU customs union ends before the heat death of the universe. I'll even offer you 10-1 if you like,
    It'll be a pity if Brexit is undone because Brexit Ultras can't compose themselves with a modicum of patience. We spent a long time in the EU. A gentle undocking over time would be better (and more respectful of a substantial minority who would like to reverse course!) than simply stripping naked and hurling ourselves out of the EU window.
    Well yes.

I am increasingly optimistic that the House of Commons will - reluctantly - back this deal.

I've loaded up on Dixons shares in anticipation.
    I was totally confident of that at the beginning of the week but yesterday was a shocker and no mistake. So many people will have to climb down from such peaks of pomposity that it is hard to imagine it happening any time soon. May's deal is the pragmatic thing to do but pragmatism is being trounced by vanity and self perceived virtuosity.
    There are a lot of people who want to vote against it to register a protest, but would secretly prefer it to pass. Which is why the 48 votes have not materialised. People want intellectual purity without the consequences, which means voting against something you hope will pass.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is "talent" a euphemism?
    'ego'....
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, isn't Mordaunt still in place?

And, if that list is complete, interesting omission of Gove.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    murali_s said:

LOL - that was funny! :)
    The word I would use to describe Mogg is SMUG. Sums him up nicely methinks
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    edited November 2018
    FPT
    SquareRoot said:
    » show previous quotes
    When some of your team are playing crap, you call them into the middle just like the Sri Lanka captain just did and give them a damn good bollocking.
    The Captain has to be slightly apart from the team.. whilst being in the team..

I said:
    I seem to remember that another Geoffrey had some comments on the role of the Captain though: "It’s rather like sending our opening batsmen to the crease only for them to find that before the first ball is bowled, their bats have been broken by the team captain. "

There's been a fair bit of that as well.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

Meanwhile, a Michael Gove-shaped figure lurks in the shadows...

Time to call a plumber then?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2018
    Pulpstar said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/15/johnny-bobbitt-gofundme-scam-arrest-viral-gas-story-couple-charged

Some questions on this - Why do people give after say $10,000 has arrived. Also isn't the whole "gofundme" just some high powered form of begging. What happened to the concept of just paying for stuff or going without if you can't afford stuff ?

I know this one is being prosecuted but the whole 'I need money for xyz' industry seems a bit whiffy. Please note I'm not talking about say donations to Cancer Research or Guide Dogs for the Blind or Cat's Trust.

The majority of Go Fund Me's are for USA medical expenses - mostly cancer IIRC.

Which I find intensly depressing, it's people begging to stay alive.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    My key takeaway from the analysis above is that Mogg has had sex six times. Frankly I find that hard to believe.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

I disagree with your statement that "The May deal does not leave us as a perpetual vassal state." However, much of what you state is valid, and it may be better to look at the deal as a "cup half full", as the alternatives are likely to be much worse. I was merely highlighting the key issue, as I see things. I am not concerned about the implications for the 6 counties, as they are on the road to rejoining the rest of Ireland to make a whole nation once again.

I will bet you £5 that the UK-EU customs union ends before the heat death of the universe. I'll even offer you 10-1 if you like,
    It'll be a pity if Brexit is undone because Brexit Ultras can't compose themselves with a modicum of patience. We spent a long time in the EU. A gentle undocking over time would be better (and more respectful of a substantial minority who would like to reverse course!) than simply stripping naked and hurling ourselves out of the EU window.
    Well yes.

I am increasingly optimistic that the House of Commons will - reluctantly - back this deal.

I was totally confident of that at the beginning of the week but yesterday was a shocker and no mistake. So many people will have to climb down from such peaks of pomposity that it is hard to imagine it happening any time soon. May's deal is the pragmatic thing to do but pragmatism is being trounced by vanity and self perceived virtuosity.
    There are a lot of people who want to vote against it to register a protest, but would secretly prefer it to pass. Which is why the 48 votes have not materialised. People want intellectual purity without the consequences, which means voting against something you hope will pass.
    There is a technical flaw in that approach as the numbers adopting it exceed 325.....
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    @rcs100 Why Dixons shares?
  • Options
    May would do better if when asked if the DUP were going to vote with her said "that's their decision to make". Instead of shrill waffle about all MPs having to choose - which is her making explicit that her own MPs also have to choose and therefore are no longer under her control.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    With apologies to the sensible 'Leavers' I now would prefer a second referendum in which I'd repeat my Remain vote and be moderately confident of victory. for me the antics of the 'ultras' have negated my willingness to accept the original result.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

daodao said:

Well yes.

There is a technical flaw in that approach as the numbers adopting it exceed 325.....
    Yes... I'm aware of that...
  • Options
    Mike is quite right here. First law of the streets is 'you come for the king, you best not miss'.

If Corbyn can stay on when most of his MPs are against him, then May might see this through yet.

There's still the matter of getting whatever through the house, but if she plays hardball, then the TINA might gain traction.
  • Options

@rcs100 Why Dixons shares?

Because a Brexit deal would push GBPUSD towards $1.50.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What is point
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, the question is how that comes about.

If the Commons votes for the deal, the deal will be done.

If the deal falls it's possible that May might (prior to defenestration, so she'll have to be quick) put down a vote on a second referendum. Big risk for pro-EU types to deliberately vote down the deal in order to try and get another referendum.

However, if such a vote were put to Parliament it sounds like it'd pass with little difficulty.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    He has nothing to lose. Outside of the media looking for stories of the théâtre de l'absurde the man's seen as a village idiot.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Good performance by May so far!
  • Options
    JRM has been all mouth and no trousers for a long time but yesterday, finally, he did actually act. Mrs May doesn’t have a monopoly on brains, has produced a dire Brexit that is actually worse than staying in the EU and has fundamentally misunderstood why Leave won. To deliver such an cataclysmic climb down as her Brexit deal, she has sacriced the Gov’s entire domestic policy agenda which is an abdication of good government.

JRM did the right thing yesterday. If Brady doesn’t get his 48 letters, it will say a lot more about the gutless winders on the Tory back benches than it will about JRM himself.

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Mortimer said:

She is remarkable
  • Options

Mr. Felix, the question is how that comes about.

If the Commons votes for the deal, the deal will be done.

If the deal falls it's possible that May might (prior to defenestration, so she'll have to be quick) put down a vote on a second referendum. Big risk for pro-EU types to deliberately vote down the deal in order to try and get another referendum.

However, if such a vote were put to Parliament it sounds like it'd pass with little difficulty.

I think Parliament will demand it and the means will be found to do that.
  • Options

May would do better if when asked if the DUP were going to vote with her said "that's their decision to make". Instead of shrill waffle about all MPs having to choose - which is her making explicit that her own MPs also have to choose and therefore are no longer under her control.

May, for once, is showing some political nous. She is only going to win the day by going over the heads of MPs and talking to the country.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Someone needs to put up that photo where Davies and Barnier are on opposite sides of the table - Barnier with his papers, ready to get down to work and Davies with a grin thinking he's on some away-day from work!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Far more serious than any of this what on earth has happened to Moeen's batting? On form Jimmy should be looking slightly askance at his position in the line up.

Match back in the balance again. It's riveting stuff.

Edit, in fairness unlucky there, struck outside the line.
  • Options
    And now she's saying her massive police cuts aren't responsible for the massive cut in police numbers and the impact on crime
  • Options
    felix said:

With apologies to the sensible 'Leavers' I now would prefer a second referendum in which I'd repeat my Remain vote and be moderately confident of victory. for me the antics of the 'ultras' have negated my willingness to accept the original result.

I voted Leave because I wanted a trade deal with the EU and nothing else. May should have stuck with David Davis’ approach. If there is a second referendum I shall still vote Leave. I think the behaviour of the Remoaners who have failed to respect the original referendum is abhorrent. They deserve a Corbyn Gov. Leavers do not.
  • Options

JRM has been all mouth and no trousers for a long time but yesterday, finally, he did actually act. Mrs May doesn’t have a monopoly on brains, has produced a dire Brexit that is actually worse than staying in the EU and has fundamentally misunderstood why Leave won. To deliver such an cataclysmic climb down as her Brexit deal, she has sacriced the Gov’s entire domestic policy agenda which is an abdication of good government.

JRM did the right thing yesterday. If Brady doesn’t get his 48 letters, it will say a lot more about the gutless winders on the Tory back benches than it will about JRM himself.

Leave won because Northern Ireland doesn't want to be connected economically with the Republic?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Mortimer said:

Also shows she can debate for future elections.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leave won because Northern Ireland doesn't want to be connected economically with the Republic?
    Leave win because it secured 52% of the votes compared to Remain’s 48%.
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, unfortunately, just hoping something should happen does mean it will. There has to be a practical means of effecting it.

Mind you, I do think that, whatever happens, this is going to rumble on for a very long time.
  • Options
    May has impressive resilience, but remains a lousy politician. She still takes the line ‘I am right’ and seems to think that fact alone will convince others to back her.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

And Mrs May does not understand that?

Well, it's a view.
  • Options
    Also, as a country we should back May's deal. It's the only deal in town, even though it's obviously inferior to remaining in the EU.

The default to this deal is a hard Brexit. I wish the default was the status-quo (remaining in the EU) but sadly it isn't.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

felix said:

I voted Leave because I wanted a trade deal with the EU and nothing else. May should have stuck with David Davis’ approach. If there is a second referendum I shall still vote Leave. I think the behaviour of the Remoaners who have failed to respect the original referendum is abhorrent. They deserve a Corbyn Gov. Leavers do not.
    You cain’t always get what you want....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    I think she is going to pull it off and despite myself (I am a left leaning remainer) I am rooting for her. The alternatives of a Moggster type brexit (he reminds me of a reptile for some reason) or an Alistair Campbell type breathtakingly arrogant disregarding of the referendum result are simply untenable. I think a majority of MPs will ultimately feel the same and will back the deal, either as is or as tinkered with a little. You can get better than evens that May survives this year and that IMO is value.
  • Options
    The callers to the May phone-in have been largely sympathetic to May personally, even if they don't like the deal. The most recent a Brit in Spain remarking that those who caused this mess have run away.
  • Options

And now she's saying her massive police cuts aren't responsible for the massive cut in police numbers and the impact on crime

I think arguing that the massive reduction in crime over recent years (despite the politicians frenzy to create ever more absurd new crimes and our obsession with historic sex) is entirely down to the reduction in police numbers is extreme. There must be other factors.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    kinabalu said:

I think she is going to pull it off and despite myself (I am a left leaning remainer) I am rooting for her. The alternatives of a Moggster type brexit (he reminds me of a reptile for some reason) or an Alistair Campbell type breathtakingly arrogant disregarding of the referendum result are simply untenable. I think a majority of MPs will ultimately feel the same and will back the deal, either as is or as tinkered with a little. You can get better than evens that May survives this year and that IMO is value.

This is well put and I think you are right.
  • Options
    "Prime Minister are you Chamberlain"?
  • Options
    The only argument she has got is that ‘no deal is terrible’ therefore you have to sign up to this deal, there is no alternative.

Not only is that not true, but it severely limits her ability to convince others.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited November 2018

felix said:

That is not the point. Remainers didn’t get what they wanted in the referendum and look how badly they have behaved since - like spoilt brats.

The problem with May’s deal is that it is not worth having at all. It has no merits and it doesn’t even give us back control of our borders, money and laws as he falsely claimed yesterday.
  • Options

The callers to the May phone-in have been largely sympathetic to May personally, even if they don't like the deal. The most recent a Brit in Spain remarking that those who caused this mess have run away.

There's a lot of that view I think. The British tend to admire dogged perseverance - that's what the quitters don't get.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Also, as a country we should back May's deal. It's the only deal in town, even though it's obviously inferior to remaining in the EU.

The default to this deal is a hard Brexit. I wish the default was the status-quo (remaining in the EU) but sadly it isn't.

Crash out isn't the only alternative, nobody except maybe JRM wants that. We don't have to settle for May's deal, very few want that. There is a majority of MPs wanting to stay in the EU, even if their leaders don't. Also the polls show movement in the country towards staying.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited November 2018
    Morning PB

Has May gone yet? :D

Anyone found Gove yet? :D
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    @rcs1000 - do you think, if the deal passes, that we will leave the single market (FoM, CFP, CAP, etc.) in July 2020?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Jonathan said:

The only argument she has got is that ‘no deal is terrible’ therefore you have to sign up to this deal, there is no alternative.

Not only is that not true, but it severely limits her ability to convince others.

So what do you think the alternative is?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, it's a view.

How does her deal deliver anything that reflects why voted Leave ? It doesn’t give us control of anything - not our money, not our borders, and not our laws let alone anything else.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

felix said:

That is not the point. Remainers didn’t get what they wanted in the referendum and look how badly they have behaved since - like spoilt brats.

The problem with May’s deal is that it is not worth having at all. It has no merits and it doesn’t even give us back control of our borders, money and laws as he falsely claimed yesterday.
    Have you read the deal? It does exactly that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Reports that only 30 to 40 MPs turned up at the ERG meeting yesterday rather than the 80 or so the ERG claim for their caucus. If that is so then May's Deal might even have a chance of getting through with Labour rebels. Plus the ERG was also divided over strategy as they know they lack the votes to topple May now
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think arguing that the massive reduction in crime over recent years (despite the politicians frenzy to create ever more absurd new crimes and our obsession with historic sex) is entirely down to the reduction in police numbers is extreme. There must be other factors.
    Ah yes, looking at stats instead of what is actually happening on the streets and being widely reported.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, it's a view.

How does her deal deliver anything that reflects why voted Leave ? It doesn’t give us control of anything - not our money, not our borders, and not our laws let alone anything else.

The leave campaign was about more money for the NHS
  • Options

It wasn't me!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Jonathan said:

Well there are the Remain or No Deal alternatives and if I were her I would threaten a referendum on that forced choice if she cannot get her Deal through Parliament
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Jonathan said:

So what do you think the alternaitve is?
    There are at least three.

1) Barnier is open to further talks, use the mechanism to extend A50 and continue negotiations
    2) Run a referendum with no deal, the deal and no Brexit.

Or

3) Replace the troublesome unloved bespoke backstop agreement with simple re-entry. This solves almost all problems with the deal.

I prefer 2) then 3). But to say there is no alternative is incorrect.
  • Options
    currystar said:

felix said:

We don't know what the deal will be. This is the withdrawal agreement - and Raab's resignation letter implied that leaving the single market completely is far from certain.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    murali_s said:

For goodness sake only 32% back No Deal in Sky's poll yesterday, that is even less popular than the poll tax.

The default without this deal will end up being Remain, the question then is just when not if
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Interesting but not surprising. Though I now have quite a respect for Mrs May's qualities appointing Davis Johnson and Fox showed a reckless lack of judgement
  • Options
    currystar said:

felix said:

How does it actually gives back control of those. It says nothing about immigration, our trading laws are determined by Brussels with us having g no say; trade isn’t mentioned so the issue of paying for trade isn’t discussed let alone raised, and we are faced with being in a customs union which,together with the EU determining our trading laws, effectively rules out our ability to conclude any trade deals on our own.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

For goodness sake only 32% back No Deal in Sky's poll yesterday, that is even less popular than the poll tax.

The default without this deal will end up being Remain, the question then is just when not if
    HYUFD - the legal default is No deal. Politics needs to happen for that to change in any direction.

We’re not led by sentient opinion polls.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Crash out isn't the only alternative, nobody except maybe JRM wants that. We don't have to settle for May's deal, very few want that. There is a majority of MPs wanting to stay in the EU, even if their leaders don't. Also the polls show movement in the country towards staying.
    https://twitter.com/BenPBradshaw/status/1063347261281841153
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    You're much too hasty Mike.

Events dear boy, events.

Watch the next 72 hours ...
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    One thing I missed in all yesterdays hubbub - Did Theresa ever manage to fill the vacant Brexit and Work and Pensions jobs? Or are those seats still empty in the Cabinet?
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited November 2018

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, it's a view.

That was the sign on the Vote Leave bus. I don’t think many of the Vote Leave campaigners spent too much time on the doorstep discussing the NHS. I didn’t and Leave.EU seemed fixated on immigration almost exclusively.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

One thing I missed in all yesterdays hubbub - Did Theresa ever manage to fill the vacant Brexit and Work and Pensions jobs? Or are those seats still empty in the Cabinet?

Not filling Brexit Secretary doesn't seem that big a deal. As for DWP, it's not as though anything major's happening in that department, is it?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Also shows she can debate for future elections.
    It is a learned skill which many politicians these days do not bother to learn. Gordon Brown was as bad. If you spend your career avoiding questions then you won't learn how to answer them.

Jeremy Corbyn has spent the last 40 years speaking to any group that will pay his travel expenses, so it was no surprise at GE 2017 that he was fairly good at it.

It is noticeable that the new Number 10 team has cottoned on to this, and this increased exposure will stand Theresa May in good stead. Similarly, the Prime Minister's African tour was a crash course in being human interacting with the public.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited November 2018

currystar said:

felix said:

How does it actually gives back control of those. It says nothing about immigration, our trading laws are determined by Brussels with us having g no say; trade isn’t mentioned so the issue of paying for trade isn’t discussed let alone raised, and we are faced with being in a customs union which,together with the EU determining our trading laws, effectively rules out our ability to conclude any trade deals on our own.
    Well tough, the reality of the modern global economy is that common rules need to be followed between countries. It would of course far more preferably to have kept the status that meant we actually had a say in them.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Not yet.

According to Sam Coates at the Times Gove gave her an ultimatum that he’d only take the job if allowed to renegotiate, at 4.45.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, it's a view.

That was the sign in the Vote Leave bus. I don’t think any of the Vote Leave campaigners spent too much time on the doorstep discussing the NHS. I didn’t and Leave.EU seemed fixated on immigration almost exclusively.
    Remember this?
    https://youtu.be/LtlGN8wVnis
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It's the exact same argument that lost the referendum in the first place.

Maybe williamglenn is right and she's deliberately manoeuvring herself into a position where she is forced to offer a referendum to avoid no-deal.
  • Options
    Interesting snippet from Portillo:
    https://twitter.com/bbcthisweek/status/1063220990845452288

Shame This Week isn't on rather earlier, to be honest.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

1) Barnier is open to further talks, use the mechanism to extend A50 and continue negotiations

Or

3) Replace the troublesome unloved bespoke backstop agreement with simple re-entry. This solves almost all problems with the deal.

1 is already dead. See Merkel and the swedes yesterday
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Reports that only 30 to 40 MPs turned up at the ERG meeting yesterday rather than the 80 or so the ERG claim for their caucus. If that is so then May's Deal might even have a chance of getting through with Labour rebels. Plus the ERG was also divided over strategy as they know they lack the votes to topple May now

How many Labour rebels will support it ? Honey has already said she will vote against it so I doubt it will be enough to make a difference.

If the ERG can’t muster 48 votes between them though, they will be a laughing stock andrightly so.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

HYUFD - the legal default is No deal. Politics needs to happen for that to change in any direction.

We now have a Deal. If May cannot get her Deal through Parliament it will now likely be EUref2, perhaps even called by May herself.

No Deal now means riots on the streets with less than a third support for it that make the poll tax riots look like a picnic and the collapse of the £, the stock exchange and the economy. I repeat No Deal means it is a question of when not if we stay in the EU before next March or we rejoin the EEA with full single market and customs union membership after

Brexiteers better realise this Deal is the best Brexit they will get
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It is the deal that 50% of Remainers and 75% of Leavers are happy with. It is the deal that reflects the fact that the vote was a close one.

Where do you get these figures? They are in stark contrast to polling so far (Rory Stewart got in trouble for saying something similar - he had to admit he'd conjured them up).
    I invented them, obviously.

But I'm basing them on the pb-selectorate. A clear majority of PB-leavers are supportive of the deal, and around half of PB-remainers.
    Ah yes :).

Another anecdote is from my poker game last night - mostly working-class Leavers who I think are generally Tory (it's Surrey), quite vocal about it (usually we don't talk politics). They think it's all a shambles, the deal is rubbish and May should resign and make way for some unspecified leader to sort it out. It doesn't make them pro-Labour, though - they just feel fed up.

• Options

You're much too hasty Mike.

Events dear boy, events.

Watch the next 72 hours ...

You may be right.. but the movement could be either way.

I still think the view expressed on here - that the deal's not too bad and most people just want it to be got on with - has some merit.

Although I was surprised by the vehemence and unanimity against it in the Commons yesterday, it might not take too many constituency chairmen getting grief from their business chums on the golf course this week to soften it.

At the same time, the ultras on both sides might realise it's a complete coin toss if this fails whether they get No Deal or Remain, and decide this is the least worst option.

Apart from the vote in parliament, yesterday was the biggest chance to disrupt this. Had Mordaunt and Gove jumped with Raab and McVey, AND 48 letters gone in, it may have proved fatal. But every day she and the deal go on, they're stronger than they were the day before.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

Not filling Brexit Secretary doesn't seem that big a deal. As for DWP, it's not as though anything major's happening in that department, is it?
    No but it's odd for a PM not to be able to immediately fill vacant Cabinet positions?

Just add's to the feeling that Theresa May's had it!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Or

1 is already dead. See Merkel and the swedes yesterday
    Barnier explicitly did not rule it out at his press conference. I take Merkel's comments as an attempt to be helpful. If push came to shove, I expect that Barnier would restart talks. The optics of refusing talks are not good.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, it's a view.

That was the sign in the Vote Leave bus. I don’t think any of the Vote Leave campaigners spent too much time on the doorstep discussing the NHS. I didn’t and Leave.EU seemed fixated on immigration almost exclusively.
    Dominic Cummings, who was looking at the data, credited the NHS bus with getting Leave over the line. The official leave campaign feared that Farage banging on about immigrants all the time was driving voters away. Of course, this could be because they'd already banked the anti-immigration vote.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, it's a view.

I thought that it would:
    - stop us paying for the CAP.
    - stop freedom of movement.
    I think in all circumstances we have to follow regulations in the single market if we want to sell into the single market, so I don't see any scenario - except some sort of self-defeating trade war - where we do not have to follow EU law to some extent.

Your side have won. My side lost. Rejoice?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

We now have a Deal. If May cannot get her Deal through Parliament it will now likely be EUref2, perhaps even called by May herself.

No Deal now means riots on the streets with less than a third support for it that make the poll tax riots look like a picnic and the collapse of the £, the stock exchange and the economy. I repeat No Deal means it is a question of when not if we stay in the EU before next March or we rejoin the EEA with full single market and customs union membership after

Brexiteers better realise this Deal is the best Brexit they will get
    One of the problems of prioritising opinion polling over legislation on the statute book is that you don’t properly understand the legislation.

I reluctantly support the deal, but telling people that No deal wont be the outcome of voting it down is irresponsible when that is what the laws point to.

• Options

Interesting snippet from Portillo:
    https://twitter.com/bbcthisweek/status/1063220990845452288

Shame This Week isn't on rather earlier, to be honest.

You can watch the whole thing on iplayer right now (that's actually the best way of watching it as you can fast-forward through all of the annoying/glib bits)

Portillo's prediction is that it will be the Cabinet that does May in when they realize the deal won't get through Parliament and as Theresa won't abandon it they'll have to abandon her (to save the government and their jobs)
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited November 2018
    Edit: Someone beat me to it, leave NHS advert...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965
    GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

No but it's odd for a PM not to be able to immediately fill vacant Cabinet positions?

Just add's to the feeling that Theresa May's had it!
    Surely there is little harm in leaving a role empty for a day or 2 whilst you find a suitable candidate and the junior people handle anything ultra-critical.
    Now if the role isn't filled by Tuesday next week that's a different matter.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, it's a view.

Remember this?
    Yep - but how that change what I said about issues on the doorstep. How much time in the televised debates was spent in the NHS. Not much.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Ah yes, looking at stats instead of what is actually happening on the streets and being widely reported.
    Are yes hearsay and 'widely reported' - always tell the truth!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, it's a view.

Remember this?
    Yep - but how that change what I said about issues on the doorstep. How much time in the televised debates was spent in the NHS. Not much.
    How much was spent on the Customs Union or avoiding an Irish Sea border?
  • Options

currystar said:

felix said:

Well tough, the reality of the modern global economy is that common rules need to be followed between countries. It would of course far more preferably to have kept the status that meant we actually had a say in them.
    Don’t know much about the economy then do you. Exporters always have to comply with the trade regs of the country to whom they export. That is as true for U.K. companies exporting to the EU under Singke Marketrukes as it is for U.K. exporters selling to the US under WTO rules.

It doesn’t affect in the slightest how we choose to regulate our domestic economy and there is no sensible reason whatsoever for us to bind our domestic economy, which is 80% of our GDP, by the rules of the Single Market.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Jonathan said:

It's the exact same argument that lost the referendum in the first place.

Maybe williamglenn is right and she's deliberately manoeuvring herself into a position where she is forced to offer a referendum to avoid no-deal.
    That is exactly what appeared with the "my deal or no deal or no Brexit" choice she conjured up yesterday.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, it's a view.

Remember this?
    How much was spent on the Customs Union or avoiding an Irish Sea border?
    Not a lot but the fact that so much time has been negotiating those is a reflection of how the EU has outnegotiated Britain and how foolish it was of May not to concentrate on trade rather than chasing after some kind of special relationship with the EU whichthe EU clearly don’t want.
This discussion has been closed.