Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the Deal’s going down. Then what?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited November 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the Deal’s going down. Then what?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Interesting analysis as always from David. I think the chance of a second referendum is a bit higher than David does, as a possible consequence of Parliament rejecting the deal. As Parliament has been unable to agree, the issue can be passed to the electorate on a Deal vs Remain vs No Deal basis, with an alternative vote system. That has attractions for May, because she might well get the deal through on that basis because it's the "middle option"; it also appeals to Remainers as they get another shot; it gives the ERG at least a chance of what they want. Above all, it rids Parliament of having to decide itself when it's manifestly unable to, while avoiding an election which Tory MPs don't want.

Note that, without going into legal matters, it is possible that there will shortly be a by-election due in a marginal Conservative seat. I imagine Farage will have another go if that happens.
  • Options
    Good article but I'd quibble with one part.

If the deal is voted down May could support Remain, having proposed a referendum, in a choice between leaving without any deal and staying in.
This discussion has been closed.