Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big reason TMay is defying political gravity is because of t

Comments

• TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited November 2018

"Rabidly eurofederalist organisation supports Tories' humiliating capitulation to the EU" shouldn't really be considered news.

If you don't think the CBI's views are relevant, ignore them.

Other people listen to them and we should give those people a chance.

Perhaps you could circulate in advance the list of usual suspects you will ignore, you know, before you know their views.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So 40 odd ERG types will vote against the bill

And also 250 Labour MPs will vote against the bill

yet all the media focus is on the ERG.

Seems er - well..
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

"Rabidly eurofederalist organisation supports Tories' humiliating capitulation to the EU" shouldn't really be considered news.

How many votes in Parliament do you think the CBI will flip?
  • "Rabidly eurofederalist organisation supports Tories' humiliating capitulation to the EU" shouldn't really be considered news.

If the CBI had said "non", probably 20-30.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited November 2018
    TGOHF said:

Seems er - well..

Labour is the opposition. There is ALWAYS more focus on rebels, and rightly so.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    TGOHF said:

Seems er - well..

It's a man bites dog situation.
  • XenonXenon Posts: 471

Xenon said:

HYUFD said:

Xenon said:

kle4 said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

I'll say this for no dealers - they presumably believe no deal is a good thing, and that is why they will vote down this or any deal.

They also realise that if this drags on much longer they aren't going to get any Brexit at all.
    It.
    C'mon, i euros worth of derivative contracts, and we wouldn't even awal deal on the table.
    So it looks to Brexiteers that they are trying to bounce us into a crap deal by purposely by making the alternative impossible. And I'm right behind them not standing for it.
    So...even if it is a disaster and the alternative is not, we should choose disaster because the people framing the choice for the alternative outmaneuvered the other side and that's not fair?

If one doesn't think the other option is non-disaster that is different.
    Outmaneuvered? You mean being completely lied to repeatedly to run down the clock so it means we can't actually leave the EU in anything but name.

The alternative is to get rid of her and start preparing for no deal now, whilst trying to get an extension to the leaving date.

This deal won't get through parliament, so they need to do this anyway.
    No they won't. There is no majority in the house for that. As soon as May falls, a good proportion of the Consverative Party will push to block exactly that, and potentially push for an extention and a referendum.
    I will instantly switch to pushing EUref2 if May's Deal is voted down as will many Tory MPs and I suspect most of the Commons and quite likely ultimately May herself.

If the ERG end up with EUref2 and Remain they have nobody to blame but themselves
    Exactly. As a tory voter I would then utterly support that too. Not my ideal outcome (that would be a sensible leave deal), but more sensible than the chaos of no-deal.
    Personally I think we should have EUref3 when “no deal” wins.
    No deal won't be allowed on the ballot paper.

They'll keep us in by hook or by crook.
    Good
    Easier than winning a referendum I suppose.
    TGOHF said:

Seems er - well..

The StandUp4Brexit squad say there are 53 Tory MPs declared against it, and that's not including any of those that resigned last week.

By the time this comes to a vote, May's ability to turn everything she touches to shit, she may well have flipped a few more and pushed that up to 70 Tories against.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

HYUFD said:

Xenon said:

kle4 said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

I'll say this for no dealers - they presumably believe no deal is a good thing, and that is why they will vote down this or any deal.

They also realise that if this drags on much longer they aren't going to get any Brexit at all.
    It.
    C'mon, i euros worth of derivative contracts, and we wouldn't even awal deal on the table.
    So it looks to Brexiteers that they are trying to bounce us into a crap deal by purposely by making the alternative impossible. And I'm right behind them not standing for it.
    So...even if it is a disaster and the alternative is not, we should choose disaster because the people framing the choice for the alternative outmaneuvered the other side and that's not fair?

If one doesn't think the other option is non-disaster that is different.
    Outmaneuvered? You mean being completely lied to repeatedly to run down the clock so it means we can't actually leave the EU in anything but name.

The alternative is to get rid of her and start preparing for no deal now, whilst trying to get an extension to the leaving date.

This deal won't get through parliament, so they need to do this anyway.
    No they won't. There is no majority in the house for that. As soon as May falls, a good proportion of the Consverative Party will push to block exactly that, and potentially push for an extention and a referendum.
    I will instantly switch to pushing EUref2 if May's Deal is voted down as will many Tory MPs and I suspect most of the Commons and quite likely ultimately May herself.

If the ERG end up with EUref2 and Remain they have nobody to blame but themselves
    Exactly. As a tory voter I would then utterly support that too. Not my ideal outcome (that would be a sensible leave deal), but more sensible than the chaos of no-deal.
    Personally I think we should have EUref3 when “no deal” wins.
    No deal won't be allowed on the ballot paper.

They'll keep us in by hook or by crook.
    Good
    Easier than winning a referendum I suppose.
    Seemingly so.

So -- ignoring your counterfactual for a second -- in the universe we *currently* inhabit, you don't think the CBI will change any minds at all?

I'm inclined to agree with you.
  • TGOHF said:

Seems er - well..

The StandUp4Brexit squad say there are 53 Tory MPs declared against it, and that's not including any of those that resigned last week.

By the time this comes to a vote, May's ability to turn everything she touches to shit, she may well have flipped a few more and pushed that up to 70 Tories against.
    Do they have a list?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

dixiedean said:

Chukka on Politics Live saying he would be surprised if any Labour MP voted for the deal. Only possibility he thinks is Frank Field.

And he isn't even Labour!
    and Chukka is now is he? Things do move fast....
    No. Frank Field has resigned the Whip. Am not aware of Chukka having done so.
  • "Rabidly eurofederalist organisation supports Tories' humiliating capitulation to the EU" shouldn't really be considered news.

So -- ignoring your counterfactual for a second -- in the universe we *currently* inhabit, you don't think the CBI will change any minds at all?

I'm inclined to agree with you.
    I don't mean they'd have said "no deal".

But they might have said "the only way to protect British jobs is to remain". That, I think, would have given much succour to those on both sides of the house that want a second referendum.

They were however expected to back the deal, so they are only doing what is expected.
  • Any Labour MP who backs May's deal will be deselected faster than the time it takes their ass to hit the pavement outside their constituency party office.

The only Labour MPs who would even consider it are those that are retiring or have already been deselected.

And Kate Hoey already said she's opposed.

Which leaves, what, around 2 MPs?

There's still the chance of them abstaining. There's no indication that they will, but something about the idea of Labour holding their nerve en masse just seems hard to imagine.
    Momentum has more than proven capable of moving swiftly against MPs that betray the leadership.

You're asking Labour MPs to, en masse, risk ending their political careers to save a Tory PM, and a deal they almost certainly hate, and to end the opportunity to get a people's vote or a general election.

For a Labour MP to do that would be, frankly, insane beyond redemption.
    Aren't there a few who represent strong Leave constituencies?

Incidentally, I find that my MP here in glorious Gloucestershire where I now abide is one Laurence Robertson, who has written openly to ask for the defenestration of our beloved PM. I can only assume it is because that sort of thing helps entrench his majority of twenty thousand or so.

Laurence clearly appreciates on which side his bread is buttered.

• The question is, did anyone else?
    "As a collector and connoisseur of bad coup attempts, I’m afraid the ERG is still some way short of the amusing attempt to replace Ed Miliband with Alan Johnson, where the conspirators forgot to ask Alan Johnson first if he was up for it."

https://twitter.com/politic_animal/status/1064512780848513024

I really think that supporters of the deal here on pb should join me in my "pox on both their houses" saloon.

Perhaps they think that if they keep pushing the party lines then the rest of us will accept fantasy as reality and march arm-in-arm into a rosy future whilst they, the faithful, are rewarded by the party for pulling the wool over the eyes of the gullible.

My cynicism seems to have increased markedly in the last few weeks.
    And mine.

Whilst I retain small hopes for a return to Remain, it is only in accordance with the betting adage that when in a hole it is best to stop digging. It wouldn't actually makes things better, it would just stop them from getting worse.

We really are watching a slow-motion train crash.
    Indeed we are. I feel our politicians should be first against the wall when the revolution comes :D
    Allow me to load the rifles...…

They are not the only culpable ones. I'd have Juncker and allies in the second batch for extermination, and many other groups and individuals to follow, but the part played by the Conservative has to be the most culpable.

It has to be the most chronic example of political and administrative incompetence we have seen in this country since Lord North and pals lost the Colonies.
    Juncker & Co have not covered themselves with glory. Having said that, I hold no animosity towards Barnier - he is merely doing a good job of implementing the brief he has been given and Verhofstadt seems very sympathetic to the UK.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    Tory GE Manifesto

We dont have any actual policies and hey we may have fucked up Brexit but the alternative is Jezza.

• NotchNotch Posts: 145
    What on earth is Olivia Tobin at the Evening Standard talking about?

"What is a 'no confidence' vote?

A 'no confidence vote' takes place if the Prime Minister is no longer deemed fit to hold her role by her own MPs (...)

What would happen next?

If this is the case, what is known as a two-week ‘cooling off’ period will commence.

During this time, Parliament is dissolved, although Mrs May would still remain in Downing Street.

If the Tories cannot choose a new leader and form a new Government with the support of a majority of MPs within 14 calendar days, an early General Election is triggered."

Was her piece simply not read by a grownup before publication, or is someone trying to stir "VONC" together with "GE" in people's minds?

Tory GE Manifesto

We dont have any actual policies and hey we may have fucked up Brexit but the alternative is Jezza.

That's 36% right there.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=roYOWDR82TQ

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1064507537599406081

Do they still want to get rid of the Pound and join the Euro?
    Yes.
    From a business point of view, it makes sense as it removes a set of currency fluctuations and thus simplifies deals, contracts and purchases.
  • 53 Tory MPs who won't vote "for a deal that keeps us in the CU, SM or ECJ," Oh good, so they'll vote for Theresa May's deal. This is very encouraging.
    Notch said:

A 'no confidence vote' takes place if the Prime Minister is no longer deemed fit to hold her role by her own MPs (...)

What would happen next?

If this is the case, what is known as a two-week ‘cooling off’ period will commence.

During this time, Parliament is dissolved, although Mrs May would still remain in Downing Street.

If the Tories cannot choose a new leader and form a new Government with the support of a majority of MPs within 14 calendar days, an early General Election is triggered."

Was her piece simply not read by a grownup before publication, or is someone trying to stir "VONC" together with "GE" in people's minds?

Somebody has confused being NC-ed by her party vs being NC-ed by Parliament under the FTPA.
  • Pulpstar said:

Are big business and the CBI joining the ranks of traitors and saboteurs (Which now includes May herself) today ?
    @AlastairMeeks Was not wrong when he said to buy shares in betrayal.

That was me!!!

53 Tory MPs who won't vote "for a deal that keeps us in the CU, SM or ECJ," Oh good, so they'll vote for Theresa May's deal. This is very encouraging.
    I also find that humour keeps me going through these dark and ridiculous times.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2018

My dodgy Indian bookmaker spidey-senses are going off....
  • OneArmedBadgerOneArmedBadger Posts: 41
    edited November 2018
    Notch said:

What would happen next?

26 Jun 2018 - Evening Standard welcomes Olivia Tobin as an Online Reporter. Olivia was previously a Reporter at Croydon Advertiser.

No deep conspiracy at work. Astonishing, but that's how things roll in newsrooms these days. Particularly when all the editor really cares about are tweetable cartoons and high-profile opinion pieces. And when there aren't any readers paying any money.
  • Pulpstar said:

Are big business and the CBI joining the ranks of traitors and saboteurs (Which now includes May herself) today ?

That was me!!!

Sol Campbells?
  • 53 Tory MPs who won't vote "for a deal that keeps us in the CU, SM or ECJ," Oh good, so they'll vote for Theresa May's deal. This is very encouraging.
    As a connoisseur of logical absurdities, I'm finding plenty to keep me going. In a strong field, DD's ConHome article today is surely the stand-out winner.
  • Sean_Fear said:

eek said:

So it might be december now....

If it's such an almighty struggle to get to just 48 people out of 300+ MPs... is there not a clue there to these people? Perhaps they might also read Fabricant's piece on his thinking....
    The more I look at it the more I see a referendum coming with 2 options:-

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

and I suspect Remain will squeak it...
    A two-option referendum would be a gerrymander.

If you have a referendum, it should simply be May's deal, Yes/No.
    Mays deal would be resoundingly defeated.

Parliament would then decide to Remain.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

Tory GE Manifesto

Yep it'll be Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn 24/7

I doubt it will wash though. It was barely enough in 2017 afterall...

53 Tory MPs who won't vote "for a deal that keeps us in the CU, SM or ECJ," Oh good, so they'll vote for Theresa May's deal. This is very encouraging.
    Alternatively 53 MPs that will never vote for any form of Brexit that doesn't crash the economy; otherwise known as 'remainers'.
  • Pulpstar said:

That was me!!!

It was you, to be fair.
    If May tries to bring her doomed dodgy deal to a vote, Labour should move a VONC under the FTPA immediately before it. See what the DUP do. Dare them to save May,.
  • HYUFD said:

200 business leaders signed a letter against May’s deal last week.
    The Alliance of British Entrepreneurs was set up to oppose Chequers, their opposition to the deal was almost definitional.
    I think your comment is a red herring. It doesn’t alter the fact that many in business oppose May’s deal. The CBI members might be supportive but they are the multinationals.

As a connoisseur of logical absurdities, I'm finding plenty to keep me going. In a strong field, DD's ConHome article today is surely the stand-out winner.
    Worringly I think we're almost alone here in engaging with the logical impossibility of his argument. Haven't seen it done so on twitter, except by myself.
    Pulpstar said:

Worringly I think we're almost alone here in engaging with the logical impossibility of his argument. Haven't seen it done so on twitter, except by myself.
    I think everyone stopped listening to Davis a long while ago. It's not worth the lost brain cells to try to engage with his nonsense.
  • Xenon said:

HYUFD said:

Yes big business always have the best interests of the population at heart. They'd never sell us out for a few more quid.

If you think business wants to cut itself off from access to the U.K. market, you are delusional.
  • HYUFD said:

The Alliance of British Entrepreneurs was set up to oppose Chequers, their opposition to the deal was almost definitional.
    I think your comment is a red herring. It doesn’t alter the fact that many in business oppose May’s deal. The CBI members might be supportive but they are the multinationals.
    There may well be businesses that oppose Brexit. I don't know. The existence of the ABE is not great evidence of that fact.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

Sean_Fear said:

eek said:

If it's such an almighty struggle to get to just 48 people out of 300+ MPs... is there not a clue there to these people? Perhaps they might also read Fabricant's piece on his thinking....

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

The follow-up election: "who governs us, the voters or the MPs?" would be a bloodbath for those who voted to can Brexit....
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
    I don't know if this was discussed over the weekend, but to my mind this tweet by Alastair Burt is the most acute comment anyone has made on recent developments:

https://twitter.com/AlistairBurtUK/status/1063746585442623488
    GIN1138 said:

Tory GE Manifesto

Once May either has this deal through or it is rejected then it is probably time for her to go. She's done more for this country than we deserve quite frankly, and deserves a good rest.
    The destruction of the Eurosceptics is something keeping me warm at night.

The fact their behaviour could see the UK sign up to Schengen and the Euro is the cherry on the parfait.
    You do have to wonder how many of these MPs have properly read the proposed deal.
  • Sean_Fear said:

eek said:

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

The follow-up election: "who governs us, the voters or the MPs?" would be a bloodbath for those who voted to can Brexit....
    UKIP would spike but both Labour and Tory MPs would be re-elected a plenty.
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Tory GE Manifesto

Once May either has this deal through or it is rejected then it is probably time for her to go. She's done more for this country than we deserve quite frankly, and deserves a good rest.
    I can't see anyone recovering this for Con to be honest. They're done!

The only question is how bad the next election will be for them...

Sean_Fear said:

eek said:

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

It'd be a bloodbath for the Tories, Labour's voters are generally remainers.
  • matt said:

May and her supporters are so inept in office that they helping to keep Corbyn’s Labour within touching distance of power. When are people going to realise that ditching May and replacing her with someone who has relevant policies, political charisma and can properly articulate an argument without being restricted to a sounbite or a speech written by someone else is the only way to see off Corbyn.

All this negative politics about the alternative being Corbyn didn’t work in the last election and it won’t work in the next one.

You're quite correct, a Mogg premiership, supported by Johnson and Davis, would have the Conservatives on 60%. Are you on drugs?
    No but it sounds like you should be - tranquillisers. When you calm down, try looking at the lead in the polls May lost in the last election, and a look at the current polls wouldn’t hurt either. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of May’s ability to beat Corbyn
  • I don't know if this was discussed over the weekend, but to my mind this tweet by Alastair Burt is the most acute comment anyone has made on recent developments:

It's a 2nd vote folks.

The fact their behaviour could see the UK sign up to Schengen and the Euro is the cherry on the parfait.
    TBF it probably means the destruction of the whole party, not just the septics.

Unfortunately that is so.

Yes, the voters won't make a distinction between Rees Mogg (Who probably still gets in) and Amber Rudd who will have no chance down in Hastings.
  • I don't know if this was discussed over the weekend, but to my mind this tweet by Alastair Burt is the most acute comment anyone has made on recent developments:

It’s going to happen anyway. The Leave camp have split and the Remain camp are approaching full square behind stopping Brexit, if at all politically possible.

There’s just not enough people willing to accept this compromise. It’s very depressing for Leavers like me.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,976
    edited November 2018

The socially liberal, fiscally dry not obsessed by Europe and gays wing will be fine.

It’ll be like The Beatles losing Pete Best.
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-urged-to-meet-nicola-sturgeon-and-form-united-front-for-new-brexit-vote-1-4831676

As time goes on, the pressure on Corbyn to agree to a People's Vote is going to become very intense, especially as we get close to M-day.

Given recent events that may not be a bad thing.

The socially liberal, fiscally dry not obsessed by Europe and gays will be fine.

You had me at gays.

I don't know if this was discussed over the weekend, but to my mind this tweet by Alastair Burt is the most acute comment anyone has made on recent developments:

It’s going to happen anyway. The Leave camp have split and the Remain camp are approaching full square behind stopping Brexit, if at all politically possible.

There’s just not enough people willing to accept this compromise. It’s very depressing for Leavers like me.
    If only Tories had rowed in behind May, at least it would be Labour being asked the hard questions. There's plenty in the deal to laud it on the airwaves should they have wished to pursue this path.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:

The denizens of Mumsnet have themselves worked up about food shortages following a no-deal Brexit, but surely all the problems at the border will be for UK exports, not imports?

I can't imagine any UK government causing food shortages by imposing border checks on food imports.

Am I missing anything? (I'm assuming that only a very small proportion of food imports travel by air)

Most trucks carry goods both ways (i.e. the mode of transport itself is bidirectional). After the first load arrives, those trucks will not be able to return without negotiating the 40-mile car park approaching Dover. This could be solved, of course, by making the trucks return empty, which would given inflation a mighty boost as prices rose.

And this presumes that the govt is totally happy to believe that food trucks are not carrying anything else, and that the EU is totally happy to believe that all returning trucks are actually empty.
    Plus there is an issue with licences for truck drivers to operate in EU in a No Deal situation iirc.
    SHUT UP YOU FEARMONGERING TRAITOR!!
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2018

The socially liberal, fiscally dry not obsessed by Europe and gays wing will be fine.

Hoorar for us! We'll need to coach Ken C in to staying on a bit longer as our caretaker until we've drawn lots on who the leader should be.
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_Fear said:

eek said:

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

Depends if there is time to form an anti-Establishment "Voters" Party before that election. I could see that getting a good hearing in Leave-voting Labour seats.
  • Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Tory GE Manifesto

I’d sell the deal to the ERG by getting her to go in 2019 and getting a proper Leaver, like Gove, to lead the full FTA negotiations.
  • HYUFD said:

There may well be businesses that oppose Brexit. I don't know. The existence of the ABE is not great evidence of that fact.
    200 signatures against the dealis pretty convincing evidence that business is as divided as every other part of the electorate. There is no case for saying business supports the deal.
  • eek said:

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

And the real chaos ensues. There is no way that the win for Remain would be anything more than marginal - 52/48 the other way at best. So you then have something in the order of 16 million people who have been told that democracy no longer works and there is no point using the normal democratic process to get what you want. How many of those do you think it takes before people start dying?
    They'll only believe that 'democracy doesn't work' if enough idiots tell them that.

In reality. it would be democratic.

1) We had a vote.
    2) The result was close.
    3) A lot of time and effort has been spent getting a deal.
    4) The deal has been rejected by the elected parliament.

In that scenario, it would be democratic to throw it back to the people in another referendum (though much would depend on the options given).

"How many of those do you think it takes before people start dying? "

Project Fear.
    Cancelling a democratic decision before it has even been enacted on the basis of an incompetent negotiation run by those who didn't even support the decision is not democracy.

That is the accurate narrative that will be pushed by many including myself.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 886
    If ERG cannot muster 48 MPs to sign no confidence letters, looks as if number actually voting against the deal and their leader will be into single figures -say 10 (or perhaps more likely 20 abstentions). Add four or five abstentions from the remainers -Grieve, Greening, etc. then support for the deal will be at about 304 including perhaps 4 of the various Independents.

SNP, Lib Dems Plaid and Greens number 52 so will need 243 out of current 257 Labour MPs to vote against for the deal to fail. Given the hostility of some to whatever Corbyn wants then to only lose 14 to abstentions (or 7 to voting for the deal) will be some ask.

I have ignored the DUP as their hostility to the deal should just about balance their hatred of Labour, leading them to abstain.

Pulpstar said:

Sean_Fear said:

eek said:

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

Depends if there is time to form an anti-Establishment "Voters" Party before that election. I could see that getting a good hearing in Leave-voting Labour seats.
    You mean UKIP ? They have, and will take plenty of net Tory votes.

It's a 2nd vote folks.
    I doubt it. More likely to be a big push towards EEA / EFTA membership
    Anazina said:
    Nobody in particular.

The important point is that he's the 53rd declared Tory against the deal, excluding all those who resigned last week. Suggests that May's initial deficit in her party for the deal is a bad as -70.

There's no way in god's clean earth she seriously believes she can flip 70 Tories just using the dark arts of the whip's office, so I can see two possibilities

1) The meaningful vote won't happen
    2) May has something up her sleeve
  • Postman late at the HoC today?
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_Fear said:

eek said:

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

UKIP is tainted with being bat-shit crazy though.... Needs a new party.

That's in line with the article on Conhome (so I won't link to it for long-established PB etiquette) by Nicky Morgan early this morning.
  • Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Tory GE Manifesto

I’d sell the deal to the ERG by getting her to go in 2019 and getting a proper Leaver, like Gove, to lead the full FTA negotiations.
    No, recent events have shown beyond any doubt at all (even if there was any doubt before) that the ERGers will simply never under any circumstances do anything other than trash any possibility of a reasonable implementation of Brexit. It doesn't matter what is in any deal or who fronts it, it will always be a betrayal in their eyes.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited November 2018

If May tries to bring her doomed dodgy deal to a vote, Labour should move a VONC under the FTPA immediately before it. See what the DUP do. Dare them to save May,.

I don't understand this opposition to the deal being brought to a vote that some seem to have. A majority of MPs oppose it from different sides of the Chamber for a variety of reasons, some of them even being decent reasons. Why should any MP who believes this deal to be worthy of rejection have a problem with, you know, rejecting it?

We'll never know how many would truly have voted for or against this particular deal if they don't consider it. Isn't it good for all the parties to know how many might rebel on both sides?
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Seems er - well..

That's true, although Labour voting against should not be ignored (nor would they want it ignored, since they believe it to be for the best of reasons. And coincidentally assists them in replacing the government, but that's hardly a Labour only thing when it comes to considering the best course of action).

No one, of any party, should vote for a deal they think is terrible, if the truly believe they can get a better alternative and are prepared for the risks of attempting that. No one, of any party, should vote against the deal if they think it good, or they do not think a better alternative is possible.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

It's a 2nd vote folks.
    I agree with this actually. I think a Norway for Now plus CU is now the most likely outcome on a plurality basis. I don't think any one outcome has a 50% chance as yet.

I think the chances of No Deal are very low as parliament won't vote to visit utter chaos on the UK economy and make us an international laughing stock.
    The following sequence of events I would put at >60%:

1) deal voted down
    2) vonc intra Tory
    3) Lab decides to offer 2nd referendum in GE manifesto
    4) pressure for GE overwhelming
    5) GE, Lab victory
    Anazina said:

It's a 2nd vote folks.
    I agree with this actually. I think a Norway for Now plus CU is now the most likely outcome on a plurality basis. I don't think any one outcome has a 50% chance as yet.

I think the chances of No Deal are very low as parliament won't vote to visit utter chaos on the UK economy and make us an international laughing stock.
    Right now they don't have to vote though - art 50 expires on March 29th !
    kle4 said:

I don't understand this opposition to the deal being brought to a vote. A majority of MPs oppose it from different sides of the Chamber for a variety of reasons, some of them even being decent reasons. Why should any MP who believes this deal to be worthy of rejection have a problem with, you know, rejecting it?
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Seems er - well..

That's true, although Labour voting against should not be ignored (nor would they want it ignored, since they believe it to be for the best of reasons. And coincidentally assists them in replacing the government, but that's hardly a Labour only thing when it comes to considering the best course of action).

No one, of any party, should vote for a deal they think is terrible, if the truly believe they can get a better alternative and are prepared for the risks of attempting that. No one, of any party, should vote against the deal if they think it good, or they do not think a better alternative is possible.
    The DUP have threatened May with "consequences" if she brings it to a vote. I'm merely thinking Labour need to hold the DUP to their word by moving a VONC under the FTPA as soon as May announces the time and date of the vote.

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_Fear said:

eek said:

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

Biggest beneficiary of this May deal will be the stay at home party.

That's in line with the article on Conhome (so I won't link to it for long-established PB etiquette) by Nicky Morgan early this morning.
    Parliament does not support the will of the people - just what Corbyn and McDonnell want to hear.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited November 2018
    I'm sure some MPs do think that, it wouldn't make the agitators for a vote now look any sillier. Another reason, frankly, why May should want a vote now, as some MPs also probably noted.

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Tory GE Manifesto

There is much to be said for ERG holding back and following the Fabricant line - wait until her deal has been voted down in Westminster. Then put the letters in, when she is self-evidently a failed PM.

The replacement-PM candidates can put in their pitch to MPs what they would do next.
  • HYUFD said:

200 signatures against the dealis pretty convincing evidence that business is as divided as every other part of the electorate. There is no case for saying business supports the deal.
    I accept that the existence of the ABE is good evidence that at least 200 businesses exist who oppose the deal.

The CBI claims 190,000 businesses, the BCC (no comment yet), 75,000 and the FSB (seemingly in support of the deal but not 100% clear) 160,000. None of those organisations are great evidence either, but at least they exist independently of the Brexit issue.

I expect on a no-deal/deal basis deal would win 90/10; but quite a lot of businesses would like may to pull "Remain" out the hat somehow.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    TOPPING said:

1) deal voted down
    2) vonc intra Tory
    5) GE, Lab victory

Why would the Tories not preempt 4 and offer the referendum immediately?

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_Fear said:

eek said:

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

A formal split in Con would be interesting... And I'd think is very likely?
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_Fear said:

eek said:

1) May's deal
    2) Remain

Biggest beneficiary of this May deal will be the stay at home party.

No, the biggest beneficiary will be Corbyn....
  • If the ERG resort to allowing May to stay - or even supporting the WA if she agrees to go - then what a success for her.
  • Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Tory GE Manifesto

There is much to be said for ERG holding back and following the Fabricant line - wait until her deal has been voted down in Westminster. Then put the letters in, when she is self-evidently a failed PM.

The replacement-PM candidates can put in their pitch to MPs what they would do next.
    If this deal doesn’t pass we won’t be Leaving, mate.

It’s sub-par and May’s cocked up, but we’ve got no choice. Eyes on the prize.

TOPPING said:

1) deal voted down
    2) vonc intra Tory
    5) GE, Lab victory

Why would the Tories not preempt 4 and offer the referendum immediately?
    Because they are not that politically astute.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

It's a 2nd vote folks.
    EFTA/EEA fails the Dorries test for any deal - does it give us MEPs and a commissioner?
This discussion has been closed.