Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the ERG plotters get their 48 letters today and TMay loses

Comments

• rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

They are a disgrace. Not a woman in sight and no diversity.

They have no awareness of just how bad that photo looks
    White men really are despised in this country aren't they?
    Those 7 aren't very popular round these parts.
    Not in our household and we are voting members of the party
    Who the hell are they? I can identify just two.
  • dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Peter Lilley but the rest, I have no idea
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Sean_F said:

Out of curiosity, what happens if the draft deal is rejected by EU ministers (France and Spain seem unhappy?)

Theresa May gives a huge sigh of relief?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
    geoffw said:

"how we unilaterally maintain medical exports to the EU in the absence of a deal."
    If the EU wishes to block medical exports (because of standards/paperwork?) then I can't see that there's anything we can unilaterally do about that in the immediate term. But why would they wish to do that - harm their own people?

Again I think we are making progress. Yes, there's absolutely nothing we could do to prepare for this eventuality. OK, so it's just the pharmaceutical and medical devices sectors that get clobbered, so I suppose those wanting No Deal would just accept the concomitant job losses as necessary collateral damage. Unfortunately, though, that same sort of collateral damage would apply across a lot of the economy. Nothing we could do about it, and no preparations we can make to avoid it altogether.

As for why the EU would wish to do that: they wouldn't. They would seek a deal to avoid it. It's called the Withdrawal Agreement, and it's 500 pages long. We have the text. But if we don't ratify it, then what are they supposed to do? They have their own legal procedures to follow, They'd be a bit stuffed, of course. That's not much consolation.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Xenon said:

They could have got a limited "deal" keeping things running if they'd said we'd go for hard brexit with WTO rules.

Instead they made no planning for this eventuality at all and came up with the current dog's dinner that no one wants.

I think we're slowly making progress. A 'limited "deal" keeping things running if they'd said we'd go for hard brexit with WTO rules' is not No Deal. It's a Withdrawal Agreement - exactly like the 500 pager which has been negotiated - followed after the end of the transition period with a more distant relationship than Theresa May envisages. You are perfectly right that that kind of deal would in principle be possible, except that the stumbling block of the Irish border is even worse, and also it would breach the Leave campaign's promises of a 'free trade deal from Ireland to Turkey'. What it isn't though is 'no deal' - we'd still have to sign the withdrawal agreement, or something very similar to it.
    I have no problems at all with signing a withdrawal agreement. My one concern is the backstop.
    Could an MP put in an amendment which is to accept the deal but not the current non unilateral backstop - could perhaps pass with a majority.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

Xenon said:

They could have got a limited "deal" keeping things running if they'd said we'd go for hard brexit with WTO rules.

Instead they made no planning for this eventuality at all and came up with the current dog's dinner that no one wants.

I think we're slowly making progress. A 'limited "deal" keeping things running if they'd said we'd go for hard brexit with WTO rules' is not No Deal. It's a Withdrawal Agreement - exactly like the 500 pager which has been negotiated - followed after the end of the transition period with a more distant relationship than Theresa May envisages. You are perfectly right that that kind of deal would in principle be possible, except that the stumbling block of the Irish border is even worse, and also it would breach the Leave campaign's promises of a 'free trade deal from Ireland to Turkey'. What it isn't though is 'no deal' - we'd still have to sign the withdrawal agreement, or something very similar to it.
    I mentally went through this argument piece by piece as to why I might vote to leave before the ref and concluded that; by the time I'd reached the end of the process as to everything that wouldn't harm/we might want to change - then we might as well stay in.
    Lack of trade deals was a big concern - the EU seems to have been busy on those in the period from when the referendum was held, so could perhaps be an argument to shift from leave to remain.
  • XenonXenon Posts: 471

Xenon said:

The free trade deal is impossible...the EU want too much for it, so it should have been scrapped ages ago and a more realistic deal that could get through parliament passed.

And the backstop is ridiculous.

I can see us remaining to be honest from here.
    TGOHF said:

Xenon said:

I have no problems at all with signing a withdrawal agreement. My one concern is the backstop.
    Could an MP put in an amendment which is to accept the deal but not the current non unilateral backstop - could perhaps pass with a majority.
    Barnier and Varadkar would laugh that one out of court.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    eek said:

Anyone know off hand how much we spend subsidising Northern Ireland every year?

Purely in terms of net spending/tax, about 9 bill. Then add on extra security spending.

The former is usual for poorer and rural areas though, it's about 5k per person. Wales is about 4k, NE England 3.5k, NW 2.5k, etc.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Xenon said:

Amendments to the bill that affect anything relating to the EU will be futile.

Because negotiating treaties is an executive power. Grieve playing politics doesn’t achieve anything.

It’s why the ‘meaningful vote’ will be anything but meaningful.
    One irony is that the SNP would give their eye teeth for NI's backstop; and the DUP would be very happy with Scotland's position in the Brexit.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

geoffw said:

"how we unilaterally maintain medical exports to the EU in the absence of a deal."
    If the EU wishes to block medical exports (because of standards/paperwork?) then I can't see that there's anything we can unilaterally do about that in the immediate term. But why would they wish to do that - harm their own people?

Again I think we are making progress. Yes, there's absolutely nothing we could do to prepare for this eventuality. OK, so it's just the pharmaceutical and medical devices sectors that get clobbered, so I suppose those wanting No Deal would just accept the concomitant job losses as necessary collateral damage. Unfortunately, though, that same sort of collateral damage would apply across a lot of the economy. Nothing we could do about it, and no preparations we can make to avoid it altogether.

As for why the EU would wish to do that: they wouldn't. They would seek a deal to avoid it. It's called the Withdrawal Agreement, and it's 500 pages long. We have the text. But if we don't ratify it, then what are they supposed to do? They have their own legal procedures to follow, They'd be a bit stuffed, of course. That's not much consolation.
    In the case of Meds (as with most other things that need approval) it depends on where the approval took place. If a UK made drug was approved by another EU member agency then with no deal it would still be approved for sale in the EU27.
    If the talks really did breakdown then all the EU needs to do is say that all past approvals for drugs completed by the UK agency are still valid. This does not mean new druds the UK approved after no deal date would be valid.
    So we could not make any unilateral plans to keep exporting to the EU, we would be dependent on the EU realising that stuff like the number one pancreatic cancer and breast cancer drug used in the EU is made only in the UK.
  • dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

They are the men in suits.

They don't care about their image. They expect people to consider what they say.
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

One thing which puzzles me in the current brouhaha is what exactly the DUP want. I can see what they don't like about the proposed withdrawal agreement, but they also don't want a hard border in Ireland and they still support Brexit. So the pressure they are putting on the PM is aimed at achieving what change, exactly?

Not to be subject to the single market in goods within the backstop ?
    Get a trade deal for the whole UK that avoids a hard border. Squares every circle.
    The issue is there isn't time for that before 29th March ! The Trade Deal will take many years to thrash out, but we need to leave to transition first.
    So agree a transition but don't agree anything permanent before the transition. My issue is us sacrificing permanent commitments to get a temporary transition. I have no issues as all with temporary commitments that last as long as the transition.
    Aren't the single market rules for NI the backstop though ?
    Which is the problem. We should never have agreed to that.
    Also happens to be the WTO rules...
  • Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Xenon said:

Indeed. It's take it or leave it.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,847
    Yes I have to say that laying her to go in 2018 at the 3/1 available on betfair does look like a stonking bet. It's 20 Nov now. The letters aren't in and she's a strong fav to win a VONC even if they do go in. The big vote on the deal won't be till 7 Dec at the earliest and by then it will be beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.

The bet simply has to be done. Just give me a second ... Done it!
  • A Withdrawal Agreement without a backstop is just a transition period.
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Xenon said:

Amendments to the bill that affect anything relating to the EU will be futile.

Because negotiating treaties is an executive power. Grieve playing politics doesn’t achieve anything.

It’s why the ‘meaningful vote’ will be anything but meaningful.
    Well it's a meaningful Hobson's choice vote.

TGOHF said:

Xenon said:

The EU is asking to take on good faith that the backstop is an outcome they really don't think will ever come into effect.

So, how about we don't actually sign any deal - just go about implementing its terms, in good faith? That should be good enough for the EU. After all, it's supposed to be good enough for us.....
  • Sean_F said:

Out of curiosity, what happens if the draft deal is rejected by EU ministers (France and Spain seem unhappy?)

It's qualified majority voting so Spain doesn't count.
  • To be clear, what I am saying is:

- 'No deal' is not an option

- It is not the case that the UK could have prepared for 'no deal', it is simply not possible for us unilaterally to avoid the disastrous consequences. It is a blame-shifting fantasy to say it's all Theresa May's fault for not planning for no deal.

Following on from that, I think the EU have over-reached by insisting on the Irish backstop, with potentially disastrous consequence for both sides, but I don't think they will back down on this.
  • The unexplored risk to this bet is that Theresa May might resign. This is entirely possible if the meaningful vote is lost badly.

It’s still a good bet though which is why I’m on it.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

They are the men in suits.

They don't care about their image. They expect people to consider what they say.
    They are in for a shock then, because what they say is usually complete nonsense.
  • TGOHF said:

Xenon said:

The EU is asking to take on good faith that the backstop is an outcome they really don't think will ever come into effect.

So, how about we don't actually sign any deal - just go about implementing its terms, in good faith? That should be good enough for the EU. After all, it's supposed to be good enough for us.....
    Because I expect the deal needs to be and have legal force. A nod and a wink would likely be illegal.
  • I put this up a few years ago and there was tentative interest but nothing came of it - a "Political Bettors" team for Only Connect? [I have already been on, in series 4, so couldn't be part of the team]. If you might be interested, say so - pretty sure there'd be a good team amongst the regular commenters, never mind the lurkers...
    https://twitter.com/OnlyConnectQuiz/status/1064616271063539719
  • The unexplored risk to this bet is that Theresa May might resign. This is entirely possible if the meaningful vote is lost badly.

Even if she does, though, won't she stay on until a replacement is appointed?

Indeed. I don't understand the "May won't resign" argument. She has a clear sense of duty and that so far has kept her battling onwards despite the massive pressure and hostility. That same sense of duty would surely have her step down if it became clear that she did not have the ability to move anything through Parliament.

The unexplored risk to this bet is that Theresa May might resign. This is entirely possible if the meaningful vote is lost badly.

If it is 200 for, 400 against - why hang around?

The unexplored risk to this bet is that Theresa May might resign. This is entirely possible if the meaningful vote is lost badly.

Indeed. I don't understand the "May won't resign" argument. She has a clear sense of duty and that so far has kept her battling onwards despite the massive pressure and hostility. That same sense of duty would surely have her step down if it became clear that she did not have the ability to move anything through Parliament.
    Anyone run the numbers yet - how many Labour/LD MPs would have to back the deal or abstain for it to pass ?

Thanks. That's what I was saying.

Likely but not guaranteed. In opposition but Ed Miliband didn't. If she lost very badly (either in HOC or VONC) she might see an immediate exit to a safe pair of hands as calming the situation down. Unlikely but not impossible.

To be clear, what I am saying is:

- It is not the case that the UK could have prepared for 'no deal', it is simply not possible for us unilaterally to avoid the disastrous consequences. It is a blame-shifting fantasy to say it's all Theresa May's fault for not planning for no deal.

Following on from that, I think the EU have over-reached by insisting on the Irish backstop, with potentially disastrous consequence for both sides, but I don't think they will back down on this.

The EU are playing hardball because we wanted a free trade agreement.

May should have realised that wasn't possible ages ago instead of capitulating on everything else.

It is absolutely her fault that they continued down this path long after it was shown that we couldn't get any acceptable deal from it.

So as not to leave a void. He position would be like Cameron's in 2016.
  • TGOHF said:

Xenon said:

Because I expect the deal needs to be and have legal force. A nod and a wink would likely be illegal.
    The deal needs to have legal force the backstop doesn't.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    I think we should leave on WTO terms and abolish all tariffs and quotas. That will be a big gain to UK consumers. Though of course it involve some damage to our producers who have built their businesses behind the protective Common External Tariff. Some compensation measures to soften the blow for them might be considered. At the same time we should maintain, and even align our standards with the current EU-compliant standards where we are 100% compliant at the moment. With this arrangement there should be no need for any changes at the NI-RoI border.
    I've asked him which side he plans to disappoint; he also badly misunderstands the timetable.

There's going to be a void if she stays. She has spent 2 years shaping a deal that has got a giant raspberry. The only task she will be left with in Downing Street is feeding Larry....
    Xenon said:

May should have realised that wasn't possible ages ago instead of capitulating on everything else.

It is absolutely her fault that they continued down this path long after it was shown that we couldn't get any acceptable deal from it.
    Or maybe Brexit is like the squareroot of -1? Only imaginary solutions exist.
    edited November 2018
    If Labour offered TM support for her bill but the price was a GE - would she take it ?

• TGOHF said:

If Labour offered TM support for her bill but the price was a GE - would she take it ?

Before or after the WA becomes law?

Xenon said:

It's impossible to leave the EU?

FFS it was easier for countries to get out of the Soviet Union. The comparisons get ever more apt every day don't they?

TGOHF said:

Well after obviously - otherwise she wouldn't accept.

Her sense of "good for the nation" would be satisfied ? Or is she just swinging the lead with that line...
  • There's going to be a void if she stays. She has spent 2 years shaping a deal that has got a giant raspberry. The only task she will be left with in Downing Street is feeding Larry....

Whilst that's true, the meaningless vote is going to take place in December, Xmas and the New Year will be almost upon us, and there's no obvious unity candidate who could take over to steady the ship while the mutinous crew decide which of them will be the next captain. So I think the most likely thing is that she'd stay while the leadership contest happened, which would take us into the new year and (hopefully!) payout for those of us who've bet against a 2018 exit!

Cameron was still PM until May became PM.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

FFS it was easier for countries to get out of the Soviet Union. The comparisons get ever more apt every day don't they?
    They get ever more ridiculous.

Xenon said:

No no, there's a 585 page solution on the Gov website. So a solution certainly ∃, that it may be transcendental is neither here nor there.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited November 2018
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Her sense of "good for the nation" would be satisfied ? Or is she just swinging the lead with that line...
    I think she'd take it as long as Labour gave her space to make hte optics work.
  • Pulpstar said:

One irony is that the SNP would give their eye teeth for NI's backstop; and the DUP would be very happy with Scotland's position in the Brexit.

https://twitter.com/Smicht/status/1064797534030319616
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

FFS. It's a piece of piss to get out of. One merely invokes an Article of the Treaty. Not enough are prepared to pay the price though. There would be some economic damage, but no tanks, or secret police or torture or assassinations or anything.
    So not an apt comparison at all really.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Xenon said:

No they don't.

It's perfectly possible, if completely stupid, to leave. The UK is trying to leave while retaining some of the benefits of membership. That's what's impossible.
  • Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Undeveloped countries based on argriculture and low industry 30odd years ago? Where laws and regulations were rudimentary compared to now?

I would certainly expect that to be the case.

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I think she'd take it as long as Labour gave her space to make the optics work.
    A general election in return for the deal to pass through. The vote on that would be fascinating - could tempt Corbyn though.

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I think she'd take it as long as Labour gave her space to make hte optics work.
    The ERG would get their 48 letters no problem if she attempted it.

• geoffw said:

I think we should leave on WTO terms and abolish all tariffs and quotas. That will be a big gain to UK consumers. Though of course it involve some damage to our producers who have built their businesses behind the protective Common External Tariff. Some compensation measures to soften the blow for them might be considered. At the same time we should maintain, and even align our standards with the current EU-compliant standards where we are 100% compliant at the moment. With this arrangement there should be no need for any changes at the NI-RoI border.

Sounds like a good plan. Couple that with cutting business taxes - I'd abolish employers NI and cut corporation tax personally.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

FFS. It's a piece of piss to get out of. One merely invokes an Article of the Treaty. Not enough are prepared to pay the price though. There would be some economic damage, but no tanks, or secret police or torture or assassinations or anything.
    Some Brexiteers would prefer it if there were. At least then they'd be able to see the enemy. When the enemy consists primarily of the ties of reality, it's much harder to fight against.
    dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Yes really easy to get out of. Only the Dutch, Irish and French referendums ignored and in all probability ours too. Piece of piss as you say.
  • Doses of reality or more project fear?

Doses of reality or more project fear?
    Yeah - let's go with Project Fear. What is the worst that could happen???
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    So all those apologists on here that have been telling us that there can be no further negotiation seem to have been full of shit.

Cameron wasn't rejected by either the Commons or his own MPs. Different scenario.
  • Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

A general election in return for the deal to pass through. The vote on that would be fascinating - could tempt Corbyn though.
    ... did you correct my typo?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Thanks to the, ahem, genius of the FTPA, though, that is not in her gift.
    Support would be needed from Tory MPs who might not be confident of returning. Would she get it? As well as minor parties? Several of whom are skint.
    Xenon said:

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Yes really easy to get out of. Only the Dutch, Irish and French referendums ignored and in all probability ours too. Piece of piss as you say.
    Are you living in a parallel universe in which Cameron is in his ninth year as PM and Article 50 was never invoked?
    Dura_Ace said:

Xenon said:

No they don't.

It's perfectly possible, if completely stupid, to leave. The UK is trying to leave while retaining some of the benefits of membership. That's what's impossible.
    :+1:
  • Doses of reality or more project fear?
    Yeah - let's go with Project Fear. What is the worst that could happen???
    The worst that could happen is some of the many warnings from before the referendum actually turns out to be true. Not happened yet, but they're getting recycled here now.

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

... did you correct my typo?
    No.
  • Xenon said:

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Are you living in a parallel universe in which Cameron is in his ninth year as PM and Article 50 was never invoked?
    Are you living in a parallel universe in which the EU Constitution/Lisbon Treaty was dropped after the Dutch, Irish and French all rejected it?

Xenon said:

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Are you living in a parallel universe in which the EU Constitution/Lisbon Treaty was dropped after the Dutch, Irish and French all rejected it?
    I'm living in the real world, in which the Lisbon Treaty was democratically ratified by every member state.
    The backstop is the single greatest error of May's career of terrible errors.

The backstop might be the single greatest foreign policy fuck up in UK politics since Suez?

The backstop needs to die, and that means May's dodgy deal needs to die, and that means May's career needs to die. There must be no forgiveness for a fuckup of this magnitude.
  • Xenon said:

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

I'm living in the real world, in which the Lisbon Treaty was democratically ratified by every member state.
    When were the Dutch and French referendums that reversed their democratic rejections of it?
  • Xenon said:

Yes, the "No Deal" terminology is one pushed by the Remain camp including No 10.

Such a limited agreement would be fine in the short term, securing the UK's exit but without a trade agreement other than WTO terms.

It would kick into dust the EU's hope of reversing Brexit. So, with the choice being narrowed to a choice between a WTO continuation or a trade agreement, they would have to negotiate in good faith, making the best of what for them would be a bad job compared to the UK remaining.

The EU have a £95bn annual balance of payments surplus in trade in goods with the UK to protect, selling us twice as much as we sell them, so there will be a lot of pressure on EU negotiators after April. Furthermore, the UK would not already have ceded the ground on financial services that it has in May's agreement - which astonishingly allows the EU to unilaterally withdraw from current arrangements at just a month's notice, as the same time as the EU's goods exports are protected under the customs union. The question of continuing UK payments to the EU budget would be moot, the only settled point being that the EU would know they would not get a penny if an agreement were not reached, because the UK was already out of the EU.

The EU has been willing to reach trade agreements with the likes of Canada when negotiating from a far stronger position. Once the UK has left, I would expect a deal to be reached within two months.

Xenon said:

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

We're not out yet.

My prediction: The deal fails to go through parliament and then another referendum with two options, remain and this crappy deal with the former winning.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018

The backstop might be the single greatest foreign policy fuck up in UK politics since Suez?

The backstop needs to die, and that means May's dodgy deal needs to die, and that means May's career needs to die. There must be no forgiveness for a fuckup of this magnitude.

Fine.

Have you checked with the EU that the end of Mrs May's career would kill off the backstop? Just thought it would be as well to give them a buzz first to check there are no snags.

Xenon said:

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

When were the Dutch and French referendums that reversed their democratic rejections of it?
    That's a question for their electorates. You'll be able to point to our example of a second referendum on Brexit as a model for best practice in this area.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited November 2018
    Even if May did face a No confidence vote she will almost certainly win it given over 200 out of 318 Tory MPs are reported to back the Deal and she only needs to won by 1

That will keep her in place for a year until well past Brexit Day while a new leader would take over with barely 2 months left to get a Deal agreed, almost impossible
  • The backstop is the single greatest error of May's career of terrible errors.

Fine.

Have you checked with the EU that the end of Mrs May's career would kill off the backstop? Just thought it would be as well to give them a buzz first to check there are no snags.
    If the new PM says 'over my dead body' to the backstop then yes it would. It wasn't even in their original proposals, it only came in when May revealed how weak she was and it was pathetic to agree to it.

Fine.

Maybe not. But May still deserves to be made to pay for an unforced fuckup of this astonishingly huge magnitude.

Whoever has to suffer by picking through the smoldering remains of her disastrous idiocy, it cannot be her.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Xenon said:

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Only after a second vote in Ireland...
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2018

Well said. The rest of the deal is not that bad, it has bits to upset everyone and bits to please everyone. The backstop is unforgiveable.
  • Mr. Xenon, I suspect that's the likeliest outcome.

But it may be that Labour (some MPs, anyway) will back the deal in sufficient numbers for it to pass.

Fine.

Maybe not. But May still deserves to be made to pay for an unforced fuckup of this astonishingly huge magnitude.

Whoever has to suffer by picking through the smoldering remains of her disastrous idiocy, it cannot be her.
    If anything was a fuck up, it was not making clear before the referendum that the British state would uphold its previous commitments to Northern Ireland even if it made a UK-wide Brexit impossible.
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

We spent 40+ years integrating ourselves into Europe. Do you seriously imagine we can undo all that in 2 years?

We could really do hard, hard Brexit. Just stop interacting with Europe, refuse to pay anything, put barriers on all ports or entry. Of course the country would grind to a halt and food shortages would become a reality very quickly. About 30% of our food comes directly from Europe as does peak energy demands from the cross-channel grids.

If we had the sort of Brexit some of the economically illiterate Leavers keep banging on about then it really would feel like the Soviet Union with queues for potatoes and foodstuffs.

But that would fine wouldn't it?
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

We're not out yet.

My prediction: The deal fails to go through parliament and then another referendum with two options, remain and this crappy deal with the former winning.
    Bloody well hope so!

Can't see it at the moment with the Labour party's sitting on the fence stance!
  • eek said:

Xenon said:

dixiedean said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Only after a second vote in Ireland...
    To William voting again and again until you get the right answer is reasonable. No second vote in the Netherlands or France though.
    Government once again fails to halt the court cases that will rule Brexit revocable:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-fails-again-to-block-court-case-that-could-allow-the-uk-to-reverse-brexit-2018-11
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

Fine.

If the new PM says 'over my dead body' to the backstop then yes it would. It wasn't even in their original proposals, it only came in when May revealed how weak she was and it was pathetic to agree to it.
    The EU have been absolutely clear No backstop and guarantee of No hard border in Ireland then No Deal.

That means there is no alternative deal to May's achievable from an alternative Tory leader, the only alternative is permanent Customs Union for the whole UK from PM Corbyn quite probably with permanent Single Market too as the SNP will demand that and he will need them for a majority
  • Xenon said:

Xenon said:

We spent 40+ years integrating ourselves into Europe. Do you seriously imagine we can undo all that in 2 years?

We could really do hard, hard Brexit. Just stop interacting with Europe, refuse to pay anything, put barriers on all ports or entry. Of course the country would grind to a halt and food shortages would become a reality very quickly. About 30% of our food comes directly from Europe as does peak energy demands from the cross-channel grids.

If we had the sort of Brexit some of the economically illiterate Leavers keep banging on about then it really would feel like the Soviet Union with queues for potatoes and foodstuffs.

Alternatively we can leave without putting up barriers. And it was your beloved EU that decided 2 years and no longer than 2 years (with no pre-notification talks allowed) is appropriate.
  • HYUFD said:

Fine.

The EU have been absolutely clear No backstop and guarantee of No hard border in Ireland then No Deal.

That means there is no alternative deal to May's achievable from an alternative Tory leader, the only alternative is permanent Customs Union for the whole UK from PM Corbyn quite probably with permanent Single Market too as the SNP will demand that and he will need them for a majority
    They're bluffing.
    Scott_P said:
    It isn't really a choice. There's going to be a general election next year regardless. A new leader might detoxify the poison and incompetence May has spewed all over the process, but it won't change the numbers in Parliament.
    Scott_P said:
    Interesting implied threat to VoNC the government there, not even Baker and Mogg have gone that far ;)
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Scott_P said:
    What about change the leader AND have an election? :D
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Fine.

If anything was a fuck up, it was not making clear before the referendum that the British state would uphold its previous commitments to Northern Ireland even if it made a UK-wide Brexit impossible.
    It's unreasonable to argue that the GFA must override the constitutional wish of a majority of British voters to leave the European Union, particularly as the GFA does not bind any part of the UK to remain in the European Union.
    edited November 2018

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Alternatively we can leave without putting up barriers. And it was your beloved EU that decided 2 years and no longer than 2 years (with no pre-notification talks allowed) is appropriate.
    And it was a British Lawyer who wrote the 2 years bit into the treaty....

Edit: If we do not put up barriers then our own industry is exposed to worldwide competition which will undercut many of them.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

Even if May did face a No confidence vote she will almost certainly win it given over 200 out of 318 Tory MPs are reported to back the Deal and she only needs to won by 1

That will keep her in place for a year until well past Brexit Day while a new leader would take over with barely 2 months left to get a Deal agreed, almost impossible

No -- the Prime Minister would lose a no confidence vote because any likely successor would have broadly the same policies, and few MPs will want her anywhere near an election campaign.

There has been a paradox. Two paradoxes. The smaller is that Theresa May has got better at campaigning which ought to strengthen her position but probably won't. The crucial one is the ERG is revealed to be a busted flush. This means backbenchers can vote against May knowing that the ERG can't get 48 letters written so does not have a prayer of getting a Brexiteer into the final two.

The ERG's blustering has made it safe to depose Theresa May!

edited November 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Amongst the mockery it seems they're planning on going for Mickey Fab's post vote ambush.
  • They just can't help themselves can they:

https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1064856688791093249
This discussion has been closed.