Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the “deal” has impacted on the main UK political betting m

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the “deal” has impacted on the main UK political betting markets

Read the full story here

Comments

• The NI Committee were told end of last week by the head of the port of Rotterdam - Europes larget importer - that the Irish border problem is a fiction and can be solved by existing technology in under 2 years

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/border-a-ficticious-problem-dutch-expert-tells-mps-1-8706484
    He needs to convince Michel Barnier and Leo Varadkar, not the UK.
    All that's needed is to convince Barnier and Varadkar is that we are serious, which requires May to be ousted.

Barnier's original proposals didn't have the backstop in them and Varadkar's predecessor was working on a technological solution. This whole thing is an imaginary mess which we should never have allowed ourselves to agree to.
    We're not serious. That's because the threat of walking away is so mad that it ain't gonna happen, and everyone knows that.

I agree that the whole thing is largely an imaginary mess, and would go away if we had the trade deal we want, but it's not me you need to convince, it's Barnier, Varadkar and the rest of the EU.
    Hypothetically if May was ousted and Prime Minister Rees-Mogg *shudder* was elected and went to Barnier et al and said the backstop is dead, we're heading automatically to WTO unless they change the deal to remove the backstop do you really think they'll think "he's not serious"?
  • Hypothetically if May was ousted and Prime Minister Rees-Mogg *shudder* was elected and went to Barnier et al and said the backstop is dead, we're heading automatically to WTO unless they change the deal to remove the backstop do you really think they'll think "he's not serious"?

They'd say (in diplomatic language) 'You're completely mad, come back when you've changed your mind (assuming you last last long enough as PM to get that opportunity'.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

The NI Committee were told end of last week by the head of the port of Rotterdam - Europes larget importer - that the Irish border problem is a fiction and can be solved by existing technology in under 2 years

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/border-a-ficticious-problem-dutch-expert-tells-mps-1-8706484
    All that's needed is to convince Barnier and Varadkar is that we are serious, which requires May to be ousted.

Barnier's original proposals didn't have the backstop in them and Varadkar's predecessor was working on a technological solution. This whole thing is an imaginary mess which we should never have allowed ourselves to agree to.
    We're not serious. That's because the threat of walking away is so mad that it ain't gonna happen, and everyone knows that.

I agree that the whole thing is largely an imaginary mess, and would go away if we had the trade deal we want, but it's not me you need to convince, it's Barnier, Varadkar and the rest of the EU.
    Hypothetically if May was ousted and Prime Minister Rees-Mogg *shudder* was elected and went to Barnier et al and said the backstop is dead, we're heading automatically to WTO unless they change the deal to remove the backstop do you really think they'll think "he's not serious"?
    Ask Tspiras how that would go.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Fourth.... or is it 48th?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

The NI Committee were told end of last week by the head of the port of Rotterdam - Europes larget importer - that the Irish border problem is a fiction and can be solved by existing technology in under 2 years

What if it's Peter Bone, and he threatens the EU with nuclear weapons?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    edited November 2018

They'd say (in diplomatic language) 'You're completely mad, come back when you've changed your mind (assuming you last last long enough as PM to get that opportunity'.
    Cue we walk away with no deal, and become Singapore on their border. Lovely stuff.

Cue we walk away with no deal, and become Singapore on their border. Lovely stuff.
    You'll get to live through the kind of collapse that scarred your idol Vladimir Putin.
  • The NI Committee were told end of last week by the head of the port of Rotterdam - Europes larget importer - that the Irish border problem is a fiction and can be solved by existing technology in under 2 years

They will think he is barking and tell him to grow up
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545

I reckon they'd tell him to count to 48 to calm down...
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042

You'll get to live through the kind of collapse that scarred your idol Vladimir Putin.
    Yawn.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

So we’d get to reintegrate Newfoundland (vide Crimea) into the Empire?

Sounds like a winner to me.
    I
    RoyalBlue said:

So we’d get to reintegrate Newfoundland (vide Crimea) into the Empire?

Sounds like a winner to me.
    Boris can be the first Governor. It’s not Southern Thule, but it’ll do.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,838

Mogg will reply..

"Let the wealthy and great
    Roll in splendour and state.
    I envy them not, I declare it,
    For I eat my own lamb,
    My own chickens and ham;
    I shear my own fleece and I wear it.
    I have lawns; I have bowers.
    I have fruits; I have flowers,
    The lark is my morning alarmer.
    So jolly boys now,
    Here's God speed the plough.
    Long life and success to the farmer."
    edited November 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/thomasmessenger/status/1064830099084779520

Far too vibrant.
  • Is OGH planning a holiday in May or early June?

Could be a busy time on PB.
  • Tonights Evening Standard has the most wonderful 'Dads Army' front page

George Osborne going for the jugular
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706

They will say 'sod off' go to No Deal WTO terms then, it will hammer over 40% of your exports and less than 20% of our ours and be a painful lesson to any future nation trying to leave the EU without a trade deal largely on our terms

I thought Osborne wanted May cut up and put in a freezer?

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1064872231770251266?s=20
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    May is much better at dealing with icebergs than the Titanic was. Who's to say now that she won't still be there in 2022?
  • Dadge said:

May is much better at dealing with icebergs than the Titanic was. Who's to say now that she won't still be there in 2022?

If she pulls this off she is entitled to stay as long as she wants
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911

Doubt that's what the working class leavers had in mind when they voted for Brexit, still, I have always suspected they were nothing more than cannon fodder in the plans of the right-wing Tories.
    edited November 2018
    Possible sequence of events:

- DUP vote with Labour to defeat the government on Finance Bill
    - Confidence vote in government tabled
    - DUP vote with the government to defeat no confidence motion
    - Corbyn forced to back Wollaston amendment on a people's vote
    - Amendment for second referendum passes
    - Government wins meaningful vote with referendum commitment
  • Calling Roger:

https://twitter.com/IpsosMORI/status/1064936108327428096?s=20

(As ever perception can be deeply unfair - Advertising Executives are one of the few people on that list who have to tell the truth if they want their work aired....)
  • Possible sequence of events:

How does the amendment for second referendum pass?

With Labour, SNP, Lib Dem and Tory rebel votes.
  • HYUFD said:

They will say 'sod off' go to No Deal WTO terms then, it will hammer over 40% of your exports and less than 20% of our ours and be a painful lesson to any future nation trying to leave the EU without a trade deal largely on our terms
    Then we do that and a hard border appears in Ireland. 5% of UK exports go to Ireland, but 14% of Irish exports go to the UK (and a greater proportion of Irish exports travel through the UK) so the hard border hurts them more.

Or alternatively they drop this nonsense and we agree a mutually-respectful deal.

Tory Remainers have said that if Mogg keeps pushing us towards No Deal, they will respond and go for a 2nd vote, iirc.
  • XenonXenon Posts: 471

Tonights Evening Standard has the most wonderful 'Dads Army' front page

Osborne is backing May now?
  • HYUFD said:

Then we do that and a hard border appears in Ireland. 5% of UK exports go to Ireland, but 14% of Irish exports go to the UK (and a greater proportion of Irish exports travel through the UK) so the hard border hurts them more.

Or alternatively they drop this nonsense and we agree a mutually-respectful deal.
    I think there is only one person talking nonsense here
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Calling Roger:

(As ever perception can be deeply unfair - Advertising Executives are one of the few people on that list who have to tell the truth if they want their work aired....)

That doesn't mean you should trust what they say.
  • Xenon said:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

He is barking and does need to grow up.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,551
    Xenon said:

Just opposing the imbecile.

Tory Remainers have said that if Mogg keeps pushing us towards No Deal, they will respond and go for a 2nd vote, iirc.
    And I suspect that is nearly half the party

It's obvious that is what they are going to do, with no deal not being an option.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

They'd say "OK then".

The Irish would be hurt the most, but we'd also be hammered.

You see, we're not just dropping out of relationships with the EU, we'd be dropping out of relationships with the rest of the world. And, as we've seen with Open Skies / aviation negotiations with the US, the rest of the world is seeing this as an opportunity to get one up on us.

As I say, better keep May or June free in our diaries...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,838
    TSLA almost up at 350. Boy I'd hate to have shorted that stock.
    Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Oh so he's not backing her.
  • Xenon said:

Looks like it
  • rcs1000 said:

They'd say "OK then".

The Irish would be hurt the most, but we'd also be hammered.

You see, we're not just dropping out of relationships with the EU, we'd be dropping out of relationships with the rest of the world. And, as we've seen with Open Skies / aviation negotiations with the US, the rest of the world is seeing this as an opportunity to get one up on us.

But as was discussed a few posts back in the chain it only takes convincing Varadkar and this is over. The Irish threatening a hard border to prevent a hard border is an obvious bluff, they don't want a hard border so are threatening something they are trying to prevent. The problem is we're too weak to call their bluff.

If the PM is serious about calling it, whether it is smart too or not, then that changes the Game Theory for the Irish. Mogg is prepared to accept a bonkers Brexit, Varadkar is not prepared to have a hard border, so Varadkar would need to be the one who blinks then.

As I say, better keep May or June free in our diaries...
    I'm best man on the 15th of June next year.

You’re suggesting we move five million people to the Isle of Wight and abandon the rest of the UK ?
    Interesting plan.

I’ll put you down as the first volunteer.

• David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2018

But a second referendum requires a vote on legislation in parliament.

How will a legislative Bill get put to parliament in the time scale?
    Pulpstar said:

I shorted it the day before yesterday. :)

This story is more serious than people realise: https://electrek.co/2018/11/14/tesla-model-3-cold-weather-flaws/

The government would have to bring forward the legislation, which would then command cross-party support and could be fast-tracked.

In a national emergency the HOC and HOL can act very quickly
  • rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

This story is more serious than people realise: https://electrek.co/2018/11/14/tesla-model-3-cold-weather-flaws/
    Is it? Even the author says there are solutions (even if inconvenient ones) and that Tesla are normally good at addressing this sort of issue.

In theory yes, in reality we will be more likely to become Cuba or Venezuala on their border under PM Corbyn

The government would have to bring forward the legislation, which would then command cross-party support and could be fast-tracked.
    But a Conservative government is not going to bring forward the necessary legislation for a second referendum.
    Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Think of it as a political Rorschach blot.

But a Conservative government is not going to bring forward the necessary legislation for a second referendum.
    If the meaningful vote passes with an amendment requiring one, they'd have to.

With the bakcing of the PM yes. There wouldn't be backing of the PM if she's no confidenced.

HYUFD said:

So what 14% still is a lot less than the 44% we send to the EU.

If you try and dictate terms to a much larger economy there will only be one winner, them.

We may have been able to dictate terms to Scotland had they voted for independence in 2014, we cannot dictate terms to the EU after the Brexit vote
  • Sky reporting the 'Political Declaration' expanded now to 15 pages and is not going to be published tomorrow due to ongoing negotiations
  • Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

More of a modern day Molotov–Ribbentrop pact.

Or when Churchill aligned us with Stalin.

Now you could argue that both May and Osborne are the modern day Churchill.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/09/01/george-osborne-the-modern-day-winston-churchill/
  • HYUFD said:

If you try and dictate terms to a much larger economy there will only be one winner, them.

We may have been able to dictate terms to Scotland had they voted for independence in 2014, we cannot dictate terms to the EU after the Brexit vote

We're not dictating terms, we're declining one term. The rest of the terms are up for negotiations but had Scotland voted for independence there are terms they could quite rightly have refused to agree if the UK had demanded it. This is one such term.
  • Sky reporting the 'Political Declaration' expanded now to 15 pages and is not going to be published tomorrow due to ongoing negotiations

More written in a few days than the past 18 months.

With the bakcing of the PM yes. There wouldn't be backing of the PM if she's no confidenced.
    She will win a vnoc. There is growing anger in the party over the Dads Army extreme fringe and no way will a vnoc succeed
    edited November 2018

Most Tory MPs back this Deal and May probably secretly backs EUref2 over No Deal as do a small majority of Tory MPs
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Pulpstar said:

AIUI most of the long-term shorts would already have made their money back, thanks to Musk's insanity a few months ago.

Personally, I foresee a similar rollercoaster ride over the next few years - and uch of it down to Musk himself.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    No!!!!!! Really????? As though she'd do that! :D

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Is it? Even the author says there are solutions (even if inconvenient ones) and that Tesla are normally good at addressing this sort of issue.
    Electrek are massive Tesla bulls normally. When they have a negative story, it means something. Given the valuation, even a modest slowdown in deliveries to more Northerly places could be a big negative for the stock.

(This is really a trading call - I'm not making a long term bet here.)
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    THat poll has come nicely for TMay.. enough to frighten off a few waverers..

Sadly William you can keep telling them but it is fingers in the ear time
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Eh? So if parliament legislates for a referendum, you're saying the executive will overrule it? Interesting.

Of course we can have a referendum,
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2018
    Rant deleted.
  • Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/09/01/george-osborne-the-modern-day-winston-churchill/
    Time George stood in his former constituency and got rid of McVey who could join UKIP

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Well it is, literally, a great splodge of ink, and Xenon is seeing what he wishes to see, so I prefer my comparison.

Household final expenditure as a percent of GDP

Singapore: 36%
    UK: 66%

Household savings rate (OECD)

Singapore: 19%
    UK: -1.6%

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Time George stood in his former constituency and got rid of McVey who could join UKIP
    Doubt they'd want the deserter back again.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Jonathan said:

Eh? So if parliament legislates for a referendum, you're saying the executive will overrule it? Interesting.

Of course we can have a referendum,
    I think he was agreeing with williamglenn
  • HYUFD said:

Most Tory MPs back this Deal and May probably secretly backs EUref2 over No Deal as do a small majority of Tory MPs
    I think that is now a 'growing' majority of conservative mps
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Calling Roger:

Odd view of what constitutes a profession. But did the weight poll responders by truthfulness? Can we trust the probity of the responders? There seems to be a inherent logical failing.
  • THat poll has come nicely for TMay.. enough to frighten off a few waverers..

Which poll
    HYUFD said:

The important question that's never talked about is fungibility. Is it easier for the EU to find alternative export markets, or for the UK?

I suspect the answer is that - excepting Ireland - the answer is that it's easier for the EU.
    matt said:

Calling Roger:

Odd view of what constitutes a profession. But did the weight poll responders by truthfulness? Can we trust the probity of the responders? There seems to be a inherent logical failing.
    Bodycams in the US are leading a great many people to have lower trust for the police.
  • David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2018
    matt said:

Calling Roger:

And do we trust pollsters?

Where do they come on the trust chart prepared by pollsters.?
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

he's poison
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    A statement from the President of the United States,

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

You really should read it.
  • Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

he's poison
    Cameron, Osborne, Clegg coalition would be a dream team right now
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    edited November 2018

So the question would then be do Labour want a General Election more than second referendum? Because the obvious thing for the Eurosceptics to do would be to support a VONC in Parliament and bring about a GE at which point the meaningful vote bill falls.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

he's poison
    Why? They created this mess.
  • glw said:

A statement from the President of the United States,

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

You really should read it.

Fairly predictable
    edited November 2018

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

he's poison
    they were shit at the time and would be worse now, all PR puff and bollocks

if you want to know why we are were we are look the posh boys and how they misread the country
  • Completely OT we found out today my daughter will be having interviews for Trinity College Cambridge in a couple of weeks. Which should please TSE as he is forever screaming its virtues.

Completely OT we found out today my daughter will be having interviews for Trinity College Cambridge in a couple of weeks. Which should please TSE as he is forever screaming its virtues.

Mr Tyndall

havent seen you for a while, nice to see youre back
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Rant deleted.

Well that won't catch on :)
  • Completely OT we found out today my daughter will be having interviews for Trinity College Cambridge in a couple of weeks. Which should please TSE as he is forever screaming its virtues.

Mr Tyndall

havent seen you for a while, nice to see youre back
    Cheers sir.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    edited November 2018

Completely OT we found out today my daughter will be having interviews for Trinity College Cambridge in a couple of weeks. Which should please TSE as he is forever screaming its virtues.

They're minted, aren't they? I think they own the land on which the Port of Felixstowe is built.

Oh, and best of luck to her.

So the question would then be do Labour want a General Election more than second referendum? Because the obvious thing for the Eurosceptics to do would be to support a VONC in Parliament and bring about a GE at which point the meaningful vote bill falls.
    And each deselected and the GE fought with new candidates and of course many of them will be out of Parliament and labour will hold a referendum and we will stay no matter
This discussion has been closed.