Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the “deal” has impacted on the main UK political betting m

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

Possible sequence of events:

- DUP vote with Labour to defeat the government on Finance Bill
    - Confidence vote in government tabled
    - DUP vote with the government to defeat no confidence motion
    - Corbyn forced to back Wollaston amendment on a people's vote
    - Amendment for second referendum passes
    - Government wins meaningful vote with referendum commitment

How does the amendment for second referendum pass?
    With Labour, SNP, Lib Dem and Tory rebel votes.
    But a second referendum requires a vote on legislation in parliament.

How will a legislative Bill get put to parliament in the time scale?
    The government would have to bring forward the legislation, which would then command cross-party support and could be fast-tracked.
    But a Conservative government is not going to bring forward the necessary legislation for a second referendum.
    If the meaningful vote passes with an amendment requiring one, they'd have to.
    Sadly William you can keep telling them but it is fingers in the ear time
    So the question would then be do Labour want a General Election more than second referendum? Because the obvious thing for the Eurosceptics to do would be to support a VONC in Parliament and bring about a GE at which point the meaningful vote bill falls.
    A general election leading to a minority Corby government guaranteeing permanent Customs Union membership and probably permanent Single Market membership too thanks to the SNP
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Tonights Evening Standard has the most wonderful 'Dads Army' front page

George Osborne going for the jugular

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1064872231770251266?s=20
    Osborne is backing May now?
    Just opposing the imbecile.

Oh so he's not backing her.
    Think of it as a political Rorschach blot.

More of a modern day Molotov–Ribbentrop pact.

Or when Churchill aligned us with Stalin.

Now you could argue that both May and Osborne are the modern day Churchill.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/09/01/george-osborne-the-modern-day-winston-churchill/
    Time George stood in his former constituency and got rid of McVey who could join UKIP
    he's poison
    Cameron, Osborne, Clegg coalition would be a dream team right now
    Why? They created this mess.
    NO they did not. The voting public swayed by the Brexit loon liars did.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hypothetically if May was ousted and Prime Minister Rees-Mogg *shudder* was elected and went to Barnier et al and said the backstop is dead, we're heading automatically to WTO unless they change the deal to remove the backstop do you really think they'll think "he's not serious"?

They'd say (in diplomatic language) 'You're completely mad, come back when you've changed your mind (assuming you last last long enough as PM to get that opportunity'.
    Cue we walk away with no deal, and become Singapore on their border. Lovely stuff.
    Household final expenditure as a percent of GDP

Singapore: 36%
    UK: 66%

Household savings rate (OECD)

Singapore: 19%
    UK: -1.6%

Exactly and Singapore is a city state, only London could really be Singapore
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    glw said:

A statement from the President of the United States,

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

You really should read it.

Quite indescribable. Cynical yet utterly naive at the same time.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Oil down 7% in just a few hours:

https://www.bloomberg.com/energy
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Completely OT we found out today my daughter will be having interviews for Trinity College Cambridge in a couple of weeks. Which should please TSE as he is forever screaming its virtues.

They're minted, aren't they? I think they own the land on which the Port of Felixstowe is built.

Oh, and best of luck to her.
    Wow. Not really had much to do with Oxbridge so this is all new to me. My parents were solidly working class and diet go to University so I was the first from my family in the early 80s. It is a sign I suppose of how much things have changed since WW2 that my daughter is even considered.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So what 14% still is a lot less than the 44% we send to the EU.

If you try and dictate terms to a much larger economy there will only be one winner, them.

We may have been able to dictate terms to Scotland had they voted for independence in 2014, we cannot dictate terms to the EU after the Brexit vote

We're not dictating terms, we're declining one term. The rest of the terms are up for negotiations but had Scotland voted for independence there are terms they could quite rightly have refused to agree if the UK had demanded it. This is one such term.
    Which is pivotal to the EU agreeing a Withdrawal Agreement and Transition Period and to the GFA
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is that because Russia and China failed in their attempt to curtail OPEC
  • Options

The government would have to bring forward the legislation, which would then command cross-party support and could be fast-tracked.
    But a Conservative government is not going to bring forward the necessary legislation for a second referendum.
    So the question would then be do Labour want a General Election more than second referendum? Because the obvious thing for the Eurosceptics to do would be to support a VONC in Parliament and bring about a GE at which point the meaningful vote bill falls.
    And each deselected and the GE fought with new candidates and of course many of them will be out of Parliament and labour will hold a referendum and we will stay no matter
    That is a lot of suppositions. Not least that the constituencies would deselect them.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    rcs1000 said:

Hypothetically if May was ousted and Prime Minister Rees-Mogg *shudder* was elected and went to Barnier et al and said the backstop is dead, we're heading automatically to WTO unless they change the deal to remove the backstop do you really think they'll think "he's not serious"?

They'd say (in diplomatic language) 'You're completely mad, come back when you've changed your mind (assuming you last last long enough as PM to get that opportunity'.
    Cue we walk away with no deal, and become Singapore on their border. Lovely stuff.
    Household final expenditure as a percent of GDP

Singapore: 36%
    UK: 66%

Household savings rate (OECD)

Singapore: 19%
    UK: -1.6%

Facts. What good are those when one can enjoy sovereignty, boiled, steamed or raw.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Something big is happening. Maybe it's Trump's statement on Saudi Arabia.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018

tlg86 said:

Completely OT we found out today my daughter will be having interviews for Trinity College Cambridge in a couple of weeks. Which should please TSE as he is forever screaming its virtues.

They're minted, aren't they? I think they own the land on which the Port of Felixstowe is built.

Wow. Not really had much to do with Oxbridge so this is all new to me. My parents were solidly working class and diet go to University so I was the first from my family in the early 80s. It is a sign I suppose of how much things have changed since WW2 that my daughter is even considered.
    They have an excellent wine cellar, and therefore get a huge number of Firsts:

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/6827

I was able to get my hands on some of the excess stocks the dons were selling off a few years ago. Jolly good stuff it was too, it reminded me of Omar Khayyam:

I often wonder what the Vinters buy
    One half so precious as the Goods they sell
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

HYUFD said:

If you try and dictate terms to a much larger economy there will only be one winner, them.

We may have been able to dictate terms to Scotland had they voted for independence in 2014, we cannot dictate terms to the EU after the Brexit vote

We're not dictating terms, we're declining one term. The rest of the terms are up for negotiations but had Scotland voted for independence there are terms they could quite rightly have refused to agree if the UK had demanded it. This is one such term.
    There's no comparison to negotiations over Scottish independence. In the case of Scottish independence the British state would be on both sides of the table. Brexit isn't like that because the UK started the negotiations as a sovereign state.
  • Options

Congratulations, tell her to relax and enjoy it.

University made me the person that I am today.

Is from 2014 but still makes me laugh

A boozy correlation: wine expenditure and Firsts. Data compiled by a Cambridge graduate shows a correlation between colleges’ wine expenditures and Firsts.

A graph produced by a Cambridge graduate demonstrates a striking correlation between the wine budgets of Cambridge colleges and the academic attainment of their students.

Kings, St John’s, Trinity and Jesus – the four colleges with an annual wine budget over £200,000 – all obtained more firsts than the collegiate average during the last academic year. With an annual wine expenditure of £14,033 and only 13.2% of students receiving first class degrees, Hughes Hall represents the lowest point on the graph.

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/6827

I believe the trend still exists.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Nigelb said:

Xenon said:

Tonights Evening Standard has the most wonderful 'Dads Army' front page

George Osborne going for the jugular

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1064872231770251266?s=20
    Osborne is backing May now?
    Just opposing the imbecile.

Oh so he's not backing her.
    Think of it as a political Rorschach blot.

More of a modern day Molotov–Ribbentrop pact.

Or when Churchill aligned us with Stalin.

Now you could argue that both May and Osborne are the modern day Churchill.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/09/01/george-osborne-the-modern-day-winston-churchill/
    Time George stood in his former constituency and got rid of McVey who could join UKIP
    he's poison
    His reaction to the exit poll in 2017 showing that the Tories had lost their majority was to grin. 3 mins 50 secs:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4jNO_UCDHc
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

What subject is she applying for? Getting that right is the most important thing.
  • Options

And each deselected and the GE fought with new candidates and of course many of them will be out of Parliament and labour will hold a referendum and we will stay no matter
    That is a lot of suppositions. Not least that the constituencies would deselect them.
    This last weekend constituency chairs took ERG to task and told them they did not have constituency support for their action. It was expected that on monday the ERG would have their numbers having come back from their constituencies. The fact they didn't gives credence to this
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

JRM and the ERG have wet dreams about being able to declaim in that way about their own country.

Just penis envy which explains a lot.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Congrats to your daughter :+1:
  • Options

glw said:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

Fairly predictable
    It sounds like it was written by an 8 year old.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

What subject is she applying for? Getting that right is the most important thing.
    English
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

The oil market is very fragile.

Oil producers know that their oil in the ground will eventually not be worth pumping as other energy sources out compete them. ("The stone age didn't end because they ran out of stone".) So each wants to maximise production in the short to medium term to make best use of their assets while prices are still high.

But excess supply will cause prices to collapse so a disciplined OPEC is the only way oil producers can optimise this. But OPEC discipline is breaking down.

So I agree, "something big is happening". It will hurt the oil producers (US, Saudi and Russia) and help the oil consumers (Japan, EU). It should also reduce inflation and boost the world economy.
  • Options

This last weekend constituency chairs took ERG to task and told them they did not have constituency support for their action. It was expected that on monday the ERG would have their numbers having come back from their constituencies. The fact they didn't gives credence to this
    That was over opposition to the deal. This would be about stopping Brexit. Which is a very different matter.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

How do you think Singapore's membership of ASEAN affects its success? It certainly doesn't seem to be in any hurry to leave it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

glw said:

Fairly predictable
    Bit harsh on most 8 year olds :smile:
  • Options
    I’m happy laying the idea of a 2019 election. I don’t see a particularly obvious route to it.
  • Options

glw said:

Fairly predictable
    Bit harsh on most 8 year olds :smile:
    Probably true :)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited November 2018
    New PB style guide rules.

The ERG are no longer to be described as influential.

The same applies to Jacob Rees-Mogg, he is also not to be described as senior.
  • Options

I’m happy laying the idea of a 2019 election. I don’t see a particularly obvious route to it.

I think it depends on the attitude of Tory Eurosceptics if we get past March and have actually left. They may believe that the dangers inherent in bringing May down have passed and so make a move against her. The question would then be whether they succeed or in their attempt - successful or not - they alienate part of the party and there is a successful VONC in Parliament. It is not straightforward but I think there is a reasonable chance they might try it.
  • Options

Solo to henceforth be described as the 3rd best film of the franchise.
    Pineapple on Pizza to be regarded as a matter of individual choice rather than a genetic aberration.
  • Options

Don't tell him, Mogg.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English
    A very good choice, plenty of time for the extra curricular activities.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    @Richard

I too went to Trinity College, Cambridge. I wish her the best of luck, because it was a fantastic place to study.

Or, in my case, to learn loads about subjects I wasn't studying and to run a ball.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited November 2018

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English
    Oh dear, bad choice, should have done History. :smiley:

More seriously, Congratulations and good luck to her. Whether she gets in like TSE or just misses out like me an Oxbridge interview is a great experience. Fingers crossed however that she gets in.
  • Options

Solo to henceforth be described as the 3rd best film of the franchise.
    "I've got a good feeling about this!"
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The important question that's never talked about is fungibility. Is it easier for the EU to find alternative export markets, or for the UK?

I suspect the answer is that - excepting Ireland - the answer is that it's easier for the EU.
    You also need to apply the concept to the the imports of both the UK and EU from each other that because the economies are generally at the same development level the impact of trade barriers will be the same to both. So if the trade barriers result in a 50% reduction in both sides the UK has a larger import gap to fill than the EU does because we import more than we export. But as you say depends on the fungibility.

We respect to a past historical case of seeing can the EU swap exports markets easily I would look at the Russian sanctions. In the case of food the EU could not easily replace the exports and this resulted in milk powder mountains, pork prices failing and compensation packages for farmers.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    AndyJS said:

Putting my "confused" hat on for a second - not clear why both oil and the airlines are down.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There's no comparison to negotiations over Scottish independence. In the case of Scottish independence the British state would be on both sides of the table. Brexit isn't like that because the UK started the negotiations as a sovereign state.
    Not what Leave means Leave thought
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

More seriously, Congratulations and good luck to her. Whether she gets in like TSE or just misses out like me an Oxbridge interview is a great experience. Fingers crossed however that she gets in.
    Did you get any "interesting" questions? My friend who did natural sciences was asked "why do animals not have wheels?" in his interview. Trying to think of odd questions they could ask for English.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

Did you get any "interesting" questions? My friend who did natural sciences was asked "why do animals not have wheels?" in his interview. Trying to think of odd questions they could ask for English.
    Didn't get any for History. Was asked what my handicap was in economics, which flummoxed me until I realised he was asking about golf.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Putting my "confused" hat on for a second - not clear why both oil and the airlines are down.
    Oil down because airlines are down? People flying less?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,204
    Estimate the horsepower of a grasshopper.

:-)
  • Options

Why would we want to be "Singapore"?

- No minimum wage
    - 11 days holiday per year
    - no sick pay
    - restrictive laws on childcare related leave
    - no protection from employer related discrimination
    - Big inequality gap (plenty of poverty swept under the carpet)
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123

Did you sue?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Don't know about airlines, but I am starting to whether Boeing are in deep, deep, well-deserved shit.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/18/americas/lion-air-boeing-safety-intl/index.html
  • Options

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
    Singapore does have a strong public housing system though

http://blogs.worldbank.org/sustainablecities/what-about-singapore-lessons-best-public-housing-program-world
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,771

1) Singapore is a low-tax city-state which prioritises wealthy foreign businessmen over the poor indigenes and has little in the way of a welfare state
    2) The UK is a medium-sized mature mixed economy with a welfare state and the NHS as a secular religion.

The chance of the UK becoming a Singapore is small. The chance of the UK becoming a Singapore in a timeframe capable of influencing the decision is zero.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Easyjet published good figures today, with strong bookings for next year, yet dropped 5.49%.

Markets are a bit jittery at the moment. As confident as a flock of sheep with wolves circling. I don't think it Brexit related as much as global.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Don't know about airlines, but I am starting to whether Boeing are in deep, deep, well-deserved shit.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/18/americas/lion-air-boeing-safety-intl/index.html
    We're all in deep shit.
    It's the new abnormal.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

1) Singapore is a low-tax city-state which prioritises wealthy foreign businessmen over the poor indigenes and has little in the way of a welfare state
    2) The UK is a medium-sized mature mixed economy with a welfare state and the NHS as a secular religion.

The chance of the UK becoming a Singapore is small. The chance of the UK becoming a Singapore in a timeframe capable of influencing the decision is zero.
    The chance of Britain becoming Zimbabwe with worse weather is more likely!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

People flying less because Mr Market still thinks the UK is going to do a crash-out No Deal Brexit, stopping planes flying?
  • Options

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
    Flogged for spitting and no chewing gum what's not to like?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English
    an Oxbridge interview is a great experience. Fingers crossed however that she gets in.
    Seconded. I discovered, later, that the main reason I got in (to the other place) was that halfway through the interview I concluded that I wasn't going to get in and so decided to give as good as I got - so if there's one tip it's - 'be yourself'!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    TOPPING said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
    What's their policy on people with tattoos?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Several ERGs...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited November 2018

Did you sue?
    Nah, that's what happens at the dump.

Oxford University graduate sues institution for £1m after claiming 'poor teaching' cost him his career. Faiz Siddiqui says he would have become a successful lawyer if he had he got better marks

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/oxford-university-sued-poor-teaching-cost-faiz-siddiqui-career-a8068166.html

Spoiler alert: He lost the case because the judge said if every Oxford graduate who was poorly educated decided to sue the courts would be permanently clogged up with former graduates of Oxford suing the dump. I think.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

I was asked about the physics of a refigerator door left open.

It was at Oxford though. They offered me a place for Chemistry, but I wanted to do Medicine, so went to the Great Wen.

• Options

I think they'd think he's entirely serious. I don't think they'd do as he demanded.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

http://blogs.worldbank.org/sustainablecities/what-about-singapore-lessons-best-public-housing-program-world
    I am not saying it lacks a housing program, but it is severely under stress - so much so that, some years ago, the government had to mandate a "stop at two" policy (Singaporean version of China's One Child Program). How do you think telling Brits how many kids they could have would go down?

40% of those living in Singapore are immigrants which does not help on housing either.
  • Options

Did you sue?

Oxford University graduate sues institution for £1m after claiming 'poor teaching' cost him his career. Faiz Siddiqui says he would have become a successful lawyer if he had he got better marks

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/oxford-university-sued-poor-teaching-cost-faiz-siddiqui-career-a8068166.html

Spoiler alert: He lost the case because the judge said if every Oxford graduate who was poorly educated decided to sue the courts would be permanently clogged up with former graduates of Oxford suing the dump. I think.
    In all seriousness Oxford has gone downhill quite significantly in the last few years. I wouldn't bother applying there for HIstory now.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English
    an Oxbridge interview is a great experience. Fingers crossed however that she gets in.
    Seconded. I discovered, later, that the main reason I got in (to the other place) was that halfway through the interview I concluded that I wasn't going to get in and so decided to give as good as I got - so if there's one tip it's - 'be yourself'!
    Yes, I would agree, much the same for me.

I interview for our Medical School, and natural candidates come over much better than the over rehearsed. Trust the process.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tlg86 said:

Didn’t you used to be able to walk from Lands End to John O’Groats without leaving their property?

Sounds like a challenge for @JosiasJessop
  • Options
    John_M said:

TOPPING said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
    Depends on which gang you're in.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

I am not saying it lacks a housing program, but it is severely under stress - so much so that, some years ago, the government had to mandate a "stop at two" policy (Singaporean version of China's One Child Program). How do you think telling Brits how many kids they could have would go down?

40% of those living in Singapore are immigrants which does not help on housing either.
    The ultimate irony of Brexit would be a surge in immigration.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I was asked about the physics of a refrigerator door left open

Doesn't it make the room hotter eventually? The refrigeration coils inside the fridge are attempting to make the whole room colder, but the heat dump at the back of the fridge is making the room hotter, and inefficiencies mean the latter are stronger than the former.

But doesn't it also depend on the temperature in the fridge and outside the fridge when the door was opened?

• Options

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

Singapore has a desperate need for immigrants as it has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Doesn't it make the room hotter eventually? The refrigeration coils inside the fridge are attempting to make the whole room colder, but the heat dump at the back of the fridge is making the room hotter, and inefficiencies mean the latter are stronger than the former.

But doesn't it also depend on the temperature in the fridge and outside the fridge when the door was opened?

And I thought conversations about Rees-Mogg needing a fluffer were nerdy...
  • Options
    John_M said:

TOPPING said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
    As long as they've got more teeth than tattoos they're fine....its when its the other way round they get upset...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    TOPPING said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
    And landing cards that list offences punishable by death.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Rees-Mogg does not need a fluffer. Every part of him is rigid and unbending.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

How do you know? Unless you have a very powerful microscope...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Didn’t you used to be able to walk from Lands End to John O’Groats without leaving their property?

Sounds like a challenge for @JosiasJessop
    :)

I used to have a flatmate who worked at Trinity, and he said the same thing about being able to walk between Cambridge and Oxford on their land - in the olden days, at least.

(He was a bit of a git. When drunk he would get a golf club, stand in the back garden and just hit golf balls over the rooftops of Milton, not caring what they hit.)

But I'd love to do Land's End to John O' Groats again (having done it before by perhaps the longest route whilst remaining on the mainland- along the western coast).
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

Singapore has a desperate need for immigrants as it has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world.
    So it's dominated by the global elite, you get machine-gunned for minor infringements, you get no holidays, you live in a shoebox and you're too tired/polluted to have kids. Great. Let's do that then.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Richard

I too went to Trinity College, Cambridge. I wish her the best of luck, because it was a fantastic place to study.

Or, in my case, to learn loads about subjects I wasn't studying and to run a ball.

For a moment I thought you were talking about rugby...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
    And landing cards that list offences punishable by death.
    Great idea. Mentioning Brexit at the top, pineapple on pizza towards the middle, praising The Last Jedi as an afterthought.
  • Options
    Many years ago I was interviewed for a place at Trinity Hall, Cambridge but was not successful. Years later I took my teenage son for a tour of that college and when he mentioned to the Porter that I'd not been offered a place the Porter observed that it was because they only took the best. Charming I'm sure (if undoubtedly correct).
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English
    In a recent interview I was asked, “what makes you think you can do xyz?”

To which I responded, “what makes YOU think I can do xyz?”

I got the job.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Did you sue?

In all seriousness Oxford has gone downhill quite significantly in the last few years. I wouldn't bother applying there for HIstory now.
    Hmm. I know a number of excellent professors of both history and archaeology from Oxford. Pretty sure they - and I - would disagree with that assertion.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

What?

0.0005kg * 1m * 9.81m/s2 = 0.0049 Joules

Nobody uses horsepower in energy calculations these days.... SI units only please.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

War not good for airlines

OPEC failure not good for oil prices
  • Options

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

I am not saying it lacks a housing program, but it is severely under stress - so much so that, some years ago, the government had to mandate a "stop at two" policy (Singaporean version of China's One Child Program).
    I fear on Singapore you are not as well informed as you might think - the Government is tearing its hair out over its fertility rate:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/spores-fertility-rate-down-as-number-of-singles-goes-up

Yes, it has problems (which country doesn't?) and no, the model for a city state (even a very prosperous one like Singapore) is not remotely applicable here - but if we were a city state there's a lot we could learn from it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

I got “what is the most significant bridge in the world”
  • Options
    edited November 2018

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

I got the job.
    I'll steal that for my next interview.

Can't be more shambolic than the last one. When the high point of your day is the admission by the second most senior man in the organisation (technically the most senior man, as the boss was a woman) that he doesn't know if his office has a photocopier, you know your day is going to be a bit of a fiasco.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

I got the job.
    In my recent job interview I got the job because of this.

Interviewer: What would you consider one of your strengths?

Me: I perform under pressure

Interviewer: Can you give me an example?

Me: *deep breath*

Mm ba ba de,
    Um bum ba de,
    Um bu bu bum da de
    PRESSURE, pushing down on me

• Options

ydoethur said:

Did you sue?

Hmm. I know a number of excellent professors of both history and archaeology from Oxford. Pretty sure they - and I - would disagree with that assertion.
    Yes, I'm sure they would. They'd just be wrong.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

I interview for our Medical School, and natural candidates come over much better than the over rehearsed. Trust the process.
    I was interviewed for medical school. The questions were: is your father a doctor? Grandfather or uncle perhaps? No aunts, mind. And nothing about rugby.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Nah, it's Brexit. All the planes will be grounded so they won't need any fuel. Simples.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

What war did you have in mind?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

"Stop at two" was a success, but try implementing something like it here. ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Richard

Trinity's list of alumni on Wikipedia has a section for spies. Not many colleges can say that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alumni_of_Trinity_College,_Cambridge#Spies
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English
    Good luck to her, Mr Tyndall. Cambridge is a wonderful place, and a wonderful institution. And much better than that Oxford dump. ;)

I know we have our disagreements, but if she chooses Trinity and you ever find yourself at a loose end in Cambridge, let me know and I'll buy you a pint or three,
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Did you sue?

Historians or ancient historians ?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

rcs1000 said:

@Richard

Trinity's list of alumni on Wikipedia has a section for spies. Not many colleges can say that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alumni_of_Trinity_College,_Cambridge#Spies
    They were all Russian to judgement!
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Did you sue?

The problem really is that they don't seem to have any younger ones coming through. 20 years ago, when I was starting out, it would be inconceivable to have any historical topic where there wasn't a big figure at Oxford doing serious research in it. Now it's all about York, Warwick, Cambridge, Bristol and Exeter. I think there's one active historian at Oxford whose work I use, and he must be north of 60.
  • Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

I was interviewed for medical school. The questions were: is your father a doctor? Grandfather or uncle perhaps? No aunts, mind. And nothing about rugby.
    You remind me of a friend joining the army. He tried the Blues & Royals and was asked about his horse. He replied that he did not have one. The reply was "Good God!!! How can you play polo?"

He joined a different regiment :)
  • Options
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

What did you with? I might have gone with Wayne.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Did you sue?

Ancient and prehistory. A couple of each. One is a notable author as well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

I got the job.
    I'll steal that for my next interview.

Can't be more shambolic than the last one. When the high point of your day is the admission by the second most senior man in the organisation (technically the most senior man, as the boss was a woman) that he doesn't know if his office has a photocopier, you know your day is going to be a bit of a fiasco.
    I was once interviewed by a man who'd enjoyed a good lunch, and when walking down the corridor, he was literally bouncing off the walls.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English
    Good luck to her, Mr Tyndall. Cambridge is a wonderful place, and a wonderful institution. And much better than that Oxford dump. ;)

I know we have our disagreements, but if she chooses Trinity and you ever find yourself at a loose end in Cambridge, let me know and I'll buy you a pint or three,
    Cheers sir. I can promise I am much nicer in person than on here.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

How do you know? Unless you have a very powerful microscope...
    Good question. How do you measure the rigidity of a Rees-Mogg? I suggest clamping his feet in a vice, extending his horizontal body unsupported, then place weights in his mouth until his back fails. Reassemble him using duct tape and a stout board then repeat the experiment from different angles. Note the weights at the point of failure and take an average or minimum as required. After the experiment is over reassemble as much of the Rees-Mogg as can be retrieved, place in a bucket and return to his relatives or an appropriate storage receptacle. Dispose of any leftovers safely and clean your workbench before departure.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

Einstein-Rosen bridge.
This discussion has been closed.