Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the “deal” has impacted on the main UK political betting m

Comments

• mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited November 2018
    q
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Oil down 7% in just a few hours:

https://www.bloomberg.com/energy

Putting my "confused" hat on for a second - not clear why both oil and the airlines are down.
    War not good for airlines

OPEC failure not good for oil prices
    What war did you have in mind?
    One he’s invented in between licking himself like a dog while talking about Cambridge.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    edited November 2018

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Completely OT we found out today my daughter will be having interviews for Trinity College Cambridge in a couple of weeks. Which should please TSE as he is forever screaming its virtues.

They're minted, aren't they? I think they own the land on which the Port of Felixstowe is built.

Oh, and best of luck to her.
    Wow. Not really had much to do with Oxbridge so this is all new to me. My parents were solidly working class and diet go to University so I was the first from my family in the early 80s. It is a sign I suppose of how much things have changed since WW2 that my daughter is even considered.
    What subject is she applying for? Getting that right is the most important thing.
    English
    an Oxbridge interview is a great experience. Fingers crossed however that she gets in.
    Seconded. I discovered, later, that the main reason I got in (to the other place) was that halfway through the interview I concluded that I wasn't going to get in and so decided to give as good as I got - so if there's one tip it's - 'be yourself'!
    In a recent interview I was asked, “what makes you think you can do xyz?”

To which I responded, “what makes YOU think I can do xyz?”

I got the job.
    I'll steal that for my next interview.

Can't be more shambolic than the last one. When the high point of your day is the admission by the second most senior man in the organisation (technically the most senior man, as the boss was a woman) that he doesn't know if his office has a photocopier, you know your day is going to be a bit of a fiasco.
    I was once interviewed by a man who'd enjoyed a good lunch, and when walking down the corridor, he was literally bouncing off the walls.
    That would at least have been entertaining.

Edit - come to think of it, it wasn't even a good lunch. Orange juice and lettuce.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

HYUFD said:

Cue we walk away with no deal, and become Singapore on their border. Lovely stuff.

Why would we want to be "Singapore"?

- No minimum wage
    - 11 days holiday per year
    - no sick pay
    - restrictive laws on childcare related leave
    - no protection from employer related discrimination
    - Big inequality gap (plenty of poverty swept under the carpet)
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
    Singapore does have a strong public housing system though

http://blogs.worldbank.org/sustainablecities/what-about-singapore-lessons-best-public-housing-program-world
    I am not saying it lacks a housing program, but it is severely under stress - so much so that, some years ago, the government had to mandate a "stop at two" policy (Singaporean version of China's One Child Program).
    I fear on Singapore you are not as well informed as you might think - the Government is tearing its hair out over its fertility rate:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/spores-fertility-rate-down-as-number-of-singles-goes-up

Yes, it has problems (which country doesn't?) and no, the model for a city state (even a very prosperous one like Singapore) is not remotely applicable here - but if we were a city state there's a lot we could learn from it.
    I mentioned "Stop at Two" in another post ...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

University made me the person that I am today.

Did you sue?
    Nah, that's what happens at the dump.

Oxford University graduate sues institution for £1m after claiming 'poor teaching' cost him his career. Faiz Siddiqui says he would have become a successful lawyer if he had he got better marks

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/oxford-university-sued-poor-teaching-cost-faiz-siddiqui-career-a8068166.html

Spoiler alert: He lost the case because the judge said if every Oxford graduate who was poorly educated decided to sue the courts would be permanently clogged up with former graduates of Oxford suing the dump. I think.
    In all seriousness Oxford has gone downhill quite significantly in the last few years. I wouldn't bother applying there for HIstory now.
    Hmm. I know a number of excellent professors of both history and archaeology from Oxford. Pretty sure they - and I - would disagree with that assertion.
    Historians or ancient historians ?
    Ancient and prehistory. A couple of each. One is a notable author as well.
    But neither in the Faculty of History.
  • Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cue we walk away with no deal, and become Singapore on their border. Lovely stuff.

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

http://blogs.worldbank.org/sustainablecities/what-about-singapore-lessons-best-public-housing-program-world
    I am not saying it lacks a housing program, but it is severely under stress - so much so that, some years ago, the government had to mandate a "stop at two" policy (Singaporean version of China's One Child Program). How do you think telling Brits how many kids they could have would go down?

40% of those living in Singapore are immigrants which does not help on housing either.
    Singapore has a desperate need for immigrants as it has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world.
    "Stop at two" was a success
    So why did they reverse it in 1986?

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

I am not saying it lacks a housing program, but it is severely under stress - so much so that, some years ago, the government had to mandate a "stop at two" policy (Singaporean version of China's One Child Program). How do you think telling Brits how many kids they could have would go down?

40% of those living in Singapore are immigrants which does not help on housing either.
    Singapore has a desperate need for immigrants as it has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world.
    Perhaps the then premier preferred doggy style?

Oh sorry, you meant the policy...
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Completely OT we found out today my daughter will be having interviews for Trinity College Cambridge in a couple of weeks. Which should please TSE as he is forever screaming its virtues.

They're minted, aren't they? I think they own the land on which the Port of Felixstowe is built.

Wow. Not really had much to do with Oxbridge so this is all new to me. My parents were solidly working class and diet go to University so I was the first from my family in the early 80s. It is a sign I suppose of how much things have changed since WW2 that my daughter is even considered.
    What subject is she applying for? Getting that right is the most important thing.
    English
    Oh dear, bad choice, should have done History. :smiley:

More seriously, Congratulations and good luck to her. Whether she gets in like TSE or just misses out like me an Oxbridge interview is a great experience. Fingers crossed however that she gets in.
    Did you get any "interesting" questions? My friend who did natural sciences was asked "why do animals not have wheels?" in his interview. Trying to think of odd questions they could ask for English.
    I got “what is the most significant bridge in the world”
    Einstein-Rosen bridge.
    The most significant bridge in the world is the next one I need to cross...
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Only because he probably didn’t consider UCC😉
  • HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

I am not saying it lacks a housing program, but it is severely under stress - so much so that, some years ago, the government had to mandate a "stop at two" policy (Singaporean version of China's One Child Program).
    I fear on Singapore you are not as well informed as you might think - the Government is tearing its hair out over its fertility rate:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/spores-fertility-rate-down-as-number-of-singles-goes-up

Yes, it has problems (which country doesn't?) and no, the model for a city state (even a very prosperous one like Singapore) is not remotely applicable here - but if we were a city state there's a lot we could learn from it.
    I mentioned "Stop at Two" in another post ...
    1970-1986

ended 32 years ago.....
  • Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    welshowl said:

Emmanuel is far nicer

viewcode said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

More seriously, Congratulations and good luck to her. Whether she gets in like TSE or just misses out like me an Oxbridge interview is a great experience. Fingers crossed however that she gets in.
    Did you get any "interesting" questions? My friend who did natural sciences was asked "why do animals not have wheels?" in his interview. Trying to think of odd questions they could ask for English.
    Einstein-Rosen bridge.
    The most significant bridge in the world is the next one I need to cross...
    The most significant one was the first one.

Otherwise we'd still be wondering how the f*** to cross this tiny gorge.
    edited November 2018
    Chris_A said:

welshowl said:

Emmanuel is far nicer
    I suspect we are talking a different UCC there from the one I and Mr Tyndall were at!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

The Charles Bridge?

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

The Charles Bridge?
    It’s very picturesque and all that, but why is it significant?

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

Because it was too successful. One of the worldwide successes in reducing population has been the education of women who then want to have careers. It has the double benefit of increasing the skilled workforce as well as slowing global population growth. I suspect that Singapore has been a victim of this trend too whatever the other factors in the govts population controls were.
    edited November 2018
    Didn't Labour lose them all though because Corbyn forgot to turn up?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,065

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English
    an Oxbridge interview is a great experience. Fingers crossed however that she gets in.
    Seconded. I discovered, later, that the main reason I got in (to the other place) was that halfway through the interview I concluded that I wasn't going to get in and so decided to give as good as I got - so if there's one tip it's - 'be yourself'!
    Yes, I would agree, much the same for me.

I interview for our Medical School, and natural candidates come over much better than the over rehearsed. Trust the process.
    I was interviewed for medical school. The questions were: is your father a doctor? Grandfather or uncle perhaps? No aunts, mind. And nothing about rugby.
    It's not like that now.

One of my year was interviewed very aggressively when she claimed grade 8 cello. "What use is that in Tooting? Can you play reggae?".
    welshowl said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

The Charles Bridge?
    It’s very picturesque and all that, but why is it significant?
    They named it after Charles. :)
    ydoethur said:

These ones were due to be voted on tonight.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English
    Good luck to her, Mr Tyndall. Cambridge is a wonderful place, and a wonderful institution. And much better than that Oxford dump. ;)

I know we have our disagreements, but if she chooses Trinity and you ever find yourself at a loose end in Cambridge, let me know and I'll buy you a pint or three,
    Cheers sir. I can promise I am much nicer in person than on here.
    I think we probably all are. T'Internet can occasionally bring out the wrong side of all of us - there's something about communicating online that depersonalises conversations.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Putting my "confused" hat on for a second - not clear why both oil and the airlines are down.
    Oil down because airlines are down? People flying less?
    Don't know about airlines, but I am starting to whether Boeing are in deep, deep, well-deserved shit.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/18/americas/lion-air-boeing-safety-intl/index.html
    Boeing has very - how to put this - aggressive accounting.

So, let's say they start building a new plane, which we'll call the Dreamyliner for simplicities sake. Now, Boeing estimates how much a Dreamyliner will cost on average over the 40 years they produce it. So, say they reckon it will cost $100m on average over the period.

Then, when they sell a Dreamyliner now, and it actually costs $150m to make it, they pretend it only costs $100m and declare a profit as if it had only cost $100m, and they promise that later, when they are really good at making Dreamyliners and it only costs $80m, then they will charge the full $100m.

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

Because it was too successful. One of the worldwide successes in reducing population has been the education of women who then want to have careers. It has the double benefit of increasing the skilled workforce as well as slowing global population growth. I suspect that Singapore has been a victim of this trend too whatever the other factors in the govts population controls were.
    World fertility rates have taken a major tumble. Nearly half the world is below replacement rate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46118103
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

World fertility rates have taken a major tumble. Nearly half the world is below replacement rate.

Good. We need fewer people.

ydoethur said:

Neither seem terribly controversial or important, for all McDonnell's bluster.

The really important one is the climb down over FOBTs. After all that angst, the loss of a good Minister, and a pointless attempt to keep that idiot McVey, they've gone ahead and done the right thing in the most damaging way imaginable.
  • What a surprise:

' Shares in Deutsche Bank hit record lows today after the German bank confirmed it was involved in the Danske Bank money-laundering scandal.

Danske whistleblower Howard Wilkinson had claimed on Monday that a major European lender was involved in processing up to $150bn (£117bn) in suspicious payments. '

http://www.cityam.com/269441/deutsche-bank-shares-hit-record-lows-german-bank-dragged

This was a surprise though and a nice surprise:

' Manufacturing activity picked up in the quarter to November, as the industry rallied after a disappointing October report, according to the latest statistics from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). '

http://www.cityam.com/269410/manufacturing-activity-bounces-back-after-poor-october
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Midterm turnout is not going to be high, you can't tell anything from early voting.

https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/1064941445042171904?s=19
  • Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

But why do you think a UK government would want to apply a policy the Singapore government abandoned over three decades ago?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

From memory, the world population is due to stabilize around 2070-2080 at around ten billion people.
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Don't know about airlines, but I am starting to whether Boeing are in deep, deep, well-deserved shit.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/18/americas/lion-air-boeing-safety-intl/index.html
    It may well come down to the excuse Boeing have for not communicating the change to pilots. Their first effort was rather unpersuasive. The reality might be rather damaging.
    edited November 2018

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

But why do you think a UK government would want to apply a policy the Singapore government abandoned over three decades ago?
    I don't. I was pointing out that the much-trailed meme of us becoming "Singapore off Europe" was not a desirable future. Singapore has, and has had, many policies and practices that would be a retrograde step for many UK residents.

From earlier.....

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    GIN1138 said:
    DUP = National unity government :o

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

It may well come down to the excuse Boeing have for not communicating the change to pilots. Their first effort was rather unpersuasive. The reality might be rather damaging.
    I am reminded of my Blackadder.

Loud knock at the door.

'Get the door, Baldrick.'

Loud crash. Baldrick walks in carrying the door.

'Baldrick, I would advise you to make the explanation you are about to give phenomenally good.'

'You said 'Get the door.''
  • ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Is it possible the 737Max is a stretch too far? A fuselage from over 60 years ago and an undercarriage from over 50 years ago - add to that newer more powerful engines that could tip the plane onto its back in the right circumstances and an insistence that pilots qualified to fly on earlier versions can fly this too......may have been an accident waiting to happen.
    GIN1138 said:
    Labour MPs have gene telling him that for three years, but the bastard's still there. He's like a limpet.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
    Si

I don't. I was pointing out that the much-trailed meme of us becoming "Singapore off Europe" was not a desirable future. Singapore has, and has had, many policies and practices that would be a retrograde step for many UK residents.

From earlier.....

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc
    And you get life imprisonment for dropping a piece of litter. Or something like that.

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

It doesn't need to do so, we are one of the many countries with a fertility rate below replacement rate, especially so in indigenous Britons.

Bev is right though, one of the best ways to reduce fertility rate is to educate girls, even if only to Primary level.

• GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited November 2018
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:
    Can't be long before Labour tables a VONC in the government.

If the DUP fail to support the government (which has got to be highly likely) it's off to the polls we go and bye bye Theresa. And good riddance.
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

From memory, the world population is due to stabilize around 2070-2080 at around ten billion people.
    We are already pretty much at peak child. It just needs to work its way up through the age range in the next generation or so.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    glw said:

A statement from the President of the United States,

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

You really should read it.

JFC
  • AndyJS said:

Petrol at ASDA is now below £1.20.

Looks like more falls could be on the way.

Didn't OGH have some theory about fuel price changes and government popularity ?
    edited November 2018
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

So, let's say they start building a new plane, which we'll call the Dreamyliner for simplicities sake. Now, Boeing estimates how much a Dreamyliner will cost on average over the 40 years they produce it. So, say they reckon it will cost $100m on average over the period.

Then, when they sell a Dreamyliner now, and it actually costs $150m to make it, they pretend it only costs $100m and declare a profit as if it had only cost $100m, and they promise that later, when they are really good at making Dreamyliners and it only costs $80m, then they will charge the full $100m.
    To be fair, that is kinds-sorta how it works. Until it doesn't.
    And if they didn't, they might not sell enough planes to find out anyway ?

(And also why the F35 is cheaper than the Eurofighter.)
  • GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

If the DUP fail to support the government (which has got to be highly likely) it's off to the polls we go and bye bye Theresa. And good riddance.
    You do realise that a lot of brexiteers could fall and Corbyn can only win by offering a referendum, so goodbye brexit anyway
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

I think they would have to be actively vote against for it to be carried on current numbers.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,279
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

I was asked about the physics of a refrigerator door left open

Doesn't it make the room hotter eventually? The refrigeration coils inside the fridge are attempting to make the whole room colder, but the heat dump at the back of the fridge is making the room hotter, and inefficiencies mean the latter are stronger than the former.

But doesn't it also depend on the temperature in the fridge and outside the fridge when the door was opened?

If the room temperature is higher than the fridge thermostat setting (e.g. 6 degC) and the power is on, the fridge motor will be running at some point whether to door is open or closed. And that electrical energy can only end up warming the room.
    If the government is going to accept all the Labour amendments to the Finance Bill could it please submit one to stop the obscenely large rise in the 40% threshold and share it our among all taxpayers instead or even use it to uprate benefits in line with inflation.

What a surprise:

' Shares in Deutsche Bank hit record lows today after the German bank confirmed it was involved in the Danske Bank money-laundering scandal.

Danske whistleblower Howard Wilkinson had claimed on Monday that a major European lender was involved in processing up to $150bn (£117bn) in suspicious payments. '

http://www.cityam.com/269441/deutsche-bank-shares-hit-record-lows-german-bank-dragged

This was a surprise though and a nice surprise:

' Manufacturing activity picked up in the quarter to November, as the industry rallied after a disappointing October report, according to the latest statistics from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). '

http://www.cityam.com/269410/manufacturing-activity-bounces-back-after-poor-october

Yes, the UK industrial activity number was excellent.

Interestingly, the part of the world where economic numbers are collapsing right now is... Russia.

The pace of income growth dropped from 7.2% year-over-year in September to 4.4% in October. That's a pretty horrible slowdown and suggests an absolute decline in October. Retail sales there were also very weak and producer price inflation was higher than expected.
    edited November 2018

AndyJS said:

Petrol at ASDA is now below £1.20.

Looks like more falls could be on the way.

Didn't OGH have some theory about fuel price changes and government popularity ?
    More significantly for us, so is natural gas (down 8%).
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The really important one is the climb down over FOBTs. After all that angst, the loss of a good Minister, and a pointless attempt to keep that idiot McVey, they've gone ahead and done the right thing in the most damaging way imaginable.
    Your Shambolic Government has caved in complete surrender on the 5 amendments to the Finance Bill tonight.

They lose every vote if the DUP continue to vote with Labour.

GE 2017 Mays gift that keeps on giving.

When is the VONC??
    Chris_A said:

welshowl said:

Emmanuel is far nicer
    That'll be the ducks.
    edited November 2018
    Chris_A said:

If the government is going to accept all the Labour amendments to the Finance Bill could it please submit one to stop the obscenely large rise in the 40% threshold and share it our among all taxpayers instead or even use it to uprate benefits in line with inflation.

Why would they do that? That wouldn't sit well with their client vote of millionaire trades unionists. (Although come to think of it it wouldn't affect them much, more damaging to those very poor MPs like Kate Osamor on her £130,000 a year.)
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? Program accounting allows for a great deal of - ummm... - opinion on the part of management.

And it's much more aggressive than Rolls Royce who declares losses at the start of an engine programme, and then profits as it matures.
    edited November 2018

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Doesn't it make the room hotter eventually? The refrigeration coils inside the fridge are attempting to make the whole room colder, but the heat dump at the back of the fridge is making the room hotter, and inefficiencies mean the latter are stronger than the former.

But doesn't it also depend on the temperature in the fridge and outside the fridge when the door was opened?

If the room temperature is higher than the fridge thermostat setting (e.g. 6 degC) and the power is on, the fridge motor will be running at some point whether to door is open or closed. And that electrical energy can only end up warming the room.
    The fridge motor will run continuously, and quite likely burn out (not being designed to do so).
  • Chris_A said:

You do know McDonnell has publically supported it
  • GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Why do you hate Theresa- savour of the nation?

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Your Shambolic Government has caved in complete surrender on the 5 amendments to the Finance Bill tonight.

They lose every vote if the DUP continue to vote with Labour.

GE 2017 Mays gift that keeps on giving.

When is the VONC??
    It's not my government.

And your leader couldn't even be bothered to turn up, he's so useless.
    edited November 2018

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Is it possible the 737Max is a stretch too far? A fuselage from over 60 years ago and an undercarriage from over 50 years ago - add to that newer more powerful engines that could tip the plane onto its back in the right circumstances and an insistence that pilots qualified to fly on earlier versions can fly this too......may have been an accident waiting to happen.
    What? The 737 of today has one thing in common with the 737 of 50 years ago - the name.

It is not even the same shape or size and the original's Pratt & Whitney engines were a joke compared to modern turbofans. Today's aircraft - whether Boeing, Embraer or Airbus - are far, far safer than their predecessors.

[Edit: I just had a peek at a 737Max and they still have the original 737 wheel-well issue (The wheels are external to the aircraft when in flight. It is an easy way to spot a 737 when overhead)]
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? Program accounting allows for a great deal of - ummm... - opinion on the part of management.

And it's much more aggressive than Rolls Royce who declares losses at the start of an engine programme, and then profits as it matures.
    And that has its own problems, caution not being seen as a positive value in the modern world.

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Because he's still struggling to get his head round the fact that Labour are the only major party unanimously trying to force a Hard Brexit?
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Tasty!
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    The Nations League is one of the best things to happen to football in many a year. It just throws up lots of exciting matches with lots riding on every match. You have to hand it to UEFA - it’s a brilliant concept.
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

And that has its own problems, caution not being seen as a positive value in the modern world.
    Well, not in finance anyway.

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Though that assumes the fridge isn't in a new build, where the insulation is so bad that even an RTG in the room wouldn't keep it warm ...
    edited November 2018
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

The fridge motor will run continuously, and quite likely burn out (not being designed to do so).
    Yes, there are many fascinating aspects to discuss! convection, inefficiency, air flow etc etc. It was quite an interesting interview.

I would expect different questions from an English tutor though.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

You do realise that a lot of brexiteers could fall and Corbyn can only win by offering a referendum, so goodbye brexit anyway
    As I said last night. I've had enough of all of them. Terrible twosome - May and Hammond. Boris. JRM. Soubry. Clarke. Grieve. We've heard far too much of all of them. I just want rid if the entire shower at this point.

Time for a fresh start with the Marxist's.
    IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- No minimum wage
    - no sick pay
    - housing issues
    - immigrant problems....

etc

We are already pretty much at peak child. It just needs to work its way up through the age range in the next generation or so.
    I suspect that, by then, I will have helped reduce numbers (by one) :open_mouth:
    Chris_A said:

Because it cant be separated from the Basic Rate increase apparently

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

I think the key is: "an insistence that pilots qualified to fly on earlier versions can fly this too"

If that particular allegation is true, it sounds like a marketing ploy that made its way down to engineering, and when engineering realised it could not be met, marketing won.
    Anazina said:

The Nations League is one of the best things to happen to football in many a year. It just throws up lots of exciting matches with lots riding on every match. You have to hand it to UEFA - it’s a brilliant concept.

Yes, much better than the usual Euro-qualifiers, which seem to depend on who can give the biggest thrashing to football tiddlers like San Marino.
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Yes, there are many fascinating aspects to discuss! convection, inefficiency, air flow etc etc. It was quite an interesting interview.

What.. like "Please spell 'Refrigerator' "?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Doesn't look as if any of tonight's amendments were of any great significance.

BBC reports one was a review of effectiveness of provisions re tax avoidance (this was an SNP amendment).

Doesn't state what others were - but doesn't look as if any of them affect tax rates etc.
  • ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

What? The 737 of today has one thing in common with the 737 of 50 years ago - the name.

[Edit: I just had a peek at a 737Max and they still have the original 737 wheel-well issue (The wheels are external to the aircraft when in flight. It is an easy way to spot a 737 when overhead)]
    And the fuselage - its the same width as the 707 which first flew 61 years ago (which is why I prefer the A320) .

The original engines dictated the size of the main landing gear and clearance above the runway. That hasn't changed - so to fit bigger engines they have had to mount them further forward of the wing and higher (and raised the front landing gear, which is an easier fix).

Because the engines are further forward and higher, they have a turning moment about the COG to pitch the aircraft up - which could exacerbate a stall if applied at full power - hence the "clever" automatic stabiliser trim program they installed.....without telling anyone, least of all the poor Lion air pilots.
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

As I said last night. I've had enough of all of them. Terrible twosome - May and Hammond. Boris. JRM. Soubry. Clarke. Grieve. We've heard far too much of all of them. I just want rid if the entire shower at this point.

The Marxist's what?

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

What.. like "Please spell 'Refrigerator' "?
    I did once pass a Physiology exam at Med School despite mis-spelling it on the paper. They didn't like to mark me down as only a handful had passed, and the low pass rate was a bit embarrassing.
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

More likely Trump's trade wars starting to bite (or being perceived as so).
  • Anazina said:

Switzerland v Belgium and Germany v Dutch just amazing, and England not bad either
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Yes, much better than the usual Euro-qualifiers, which seem to depend on who can give the biggest thrashing to football tiddlers like San Marino.
    I predict it will eventually eclipse those, if UEFA develop it. Very competitive tournament. This Scotland vs Israel match is another corker. There have been so many brilliant matches.

Chris_A said:

Yes and for the life of me I cannot see why.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

More likely Trump's trade wars starting to bite (or being perceived as so).
    Ahh, that makes sense, thank you.

I was wondering if World War Three had broken out and I hadn't noticed.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Oops. Sorry.

Forget I said anything
    edited November 2018
    MikeL said:

BBC reports one was a review of effectiveness of provisions re tax avoidance (this was an SNP amendment).

Doesn't state what others were - but doesn't look as if any of them affect tax rates etc.

What is significant is the Government can no longer govern

Can you name any Government that cant pass its own finance bill that survived?
  • Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

It is the right thing to do. Aspiration matters
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Oops. Sorry.

Forget I said anything
    Having been reassured by @Nigelb I'm now suddenly worried again. Are you telling me that a planned war has been delayed and hasn't started?
    Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

I predict it will eventually eclipse those, if UEFA develop it. Very competitive tournament. This Scotland vs Israel match is another corker. There have been so many brilliant matches.
    Not every one is gripped by it!

https://twitter.com/SamWhyte/status/1064973471455825920?s=19
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tlg86 said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

English

What did you with? I might have gone with Wayne.
    This was the early 90s so I went with the only bridge that connected Split to Dalmatia

MikeL said:

And Corbyn can't turn up to vote.

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

And the fuselage - its the same width as the 707 which first flew 61 years ago (which is why I prefer the A320) .

The original engines dictated the size of the main landing gear and clearance above the runway. That hasn't changed - so to fit bigger engines they have had to mount them further forward of the wing and higher (and raised the front landing gear, which is an easier fix).

Because the engines are further forward and higher, they have a turning moment about the COG to pitch the aircraft up - which could exacerbate a stall if applied at full power - hence the "clever" automatic stabiliser trim program they installed.....without telling anyone, least of all the poor Lion air pilots.
    The real failure here was that they installed a mechanism that had the ability to override the pilots without warning (or training) the pilots about it. The mechanism also appears to be faulty given the number of AOA indicators that have been reportedly replaced and it is not uncommon for aviation tech to have teething issues.
  • IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

The Marxist's what?
    Another driven mad by brexit sadly

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

The real failure here was that they installed a mechanism that had the ability to override the pilots without warning (or training) the pilots about it. The mechanism also appears to be faulty given the number of AOA indicators that have been reportedly replaced and it is not uncommon for aviation tech to have teething issues.
    You know Beverley - I know you didn't mean it the way it came across but I have to say I think that was tactlessly phrased.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Wasn't that Lily-the-Pink?
    ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

It sounds as if he didn't need to do so. Superb economy of effort!

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

It is the right thing to do. Aspiration matters
    So you have to be bribed to be aspirant do you?
  • Last week Jacob Rees-Mogg declared that Theresa May was going to turn Britain into a “slave state”. Today, as journalists asked him about his failed coup against the Prime Minister, he urged them to employ more “moderate language”.

“‘Coup’ is entirely the wrong word,” protested the chairman of the European Research Group. “Indeed it’s rather a silly word… This type of over-egged language is really rather damaging to political debate…”

Very well. It wasn’t a coup. Perish the thought. It was merely a delicate suggestion to a cherished friend to look again at her proposals and, in view of their disappointing reception on the back benches, sling her hook the traitorous rat.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/20/did-ergs-plot-flop-dont-worry-simple-explanation/

Last week Jacob Rees-Mogg declared that Theresa May was going to turn Britain into a “slave state”. Today, as journalists asked him about his failed coup against the Prime Minister, he urged them to employ more “moderate language”.

“‘Coup’ is entirely the wrong word,” protested the chairman of the European Research Group. “Indeed it’s rather a silly word… This type of over-egged language is really rather damaging to political debate…”

Very well. It wasn’t a coup. Perish the thought. It was merely a delicate suggestion to a cherished friend to look again at her proposals and, in view of their disappointing reception on the back benches, sling her hook the traitorous rat.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/20/did-ergs-plot-flop-dont-worry-simple-explanation/

Ha! Quite :)
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

It sounds as if he didn't need to do so. Superb economy of effort!
    Winston Churchill was reportedly most annoyed with Heath for being dragged away from a dinner to vote, telling him sharply after the winning margin of five was confirmed, 'Remember, one is enough.'

I'm thinking about he way this looks as much as anything. It's like Pidcock railing against Universal Credit then missing the vote on it because she was having a dirty week with her boyfriend. Instant hit in the credibility.

If Corbyn seriously hints he has the government on the run he should be bending every fibre to beat them. He isn't. So either he doesn't want to beat them - which given he clearly agrees with their tax policies seems possible - or he doesn't care.
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Not every one is gripped by it!

https://twitter.com/SamWhyte/status/1064973471455825920?s=19

Lol!
    Well at least we agree about Adonis!
This discussion has been closed.