Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the “deal” has impacted on the main UK political betting m

124»

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    How difficult was it to get into Oxbridge circa 1950? Any ideas?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited November 2018
    Anazina said:

The Nations League is one of the best things to happen to football in many a year. It just throws up lots of exciting matches with lots riding on every match. You have to hand it to UEFA - it’s a brilliant concept.

Just wait until we get to the end of the conventional qualifying for Euro 2020 and it becomes apparent that it's in someone's interest to lose.

And with a bit of luck we'll get Ukraine v Russia in the playoffs.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Anazina said:

The Nations League is one of the best things to happen to football in many a year. It just throws up lots of exciting matches with lots riding on every match. You have to hand it to UEFA - it’s a brilliant concept.

Switzerland v Belgium and Germany v Dutch just amazing, and England not bad either
    Yep. Sadly I missed the Germany game :(
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    justin124 said:

Fairly straightfoward...

1) Be male
    2) Let them know which college your dad attended
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    edited November 2018
    justin124 said:

Very easy. Hobsbawm said any degree less than a third at Cambridge in his earlier days of teaching there (which was about 1958 I think) was a piece of paper with writing on it because otherwise the failure rate would be embarrassing. He did say however that it was very difficult indeed to get a First.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    Yes, it has gone from a fringe concern, to a major discussion point, and possibility in 6 months.Brexiteers once again taking their eye off the ball.

In other news, all is right in the world:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1064855699266646016?s=19
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

If the government is going to accept all the Labour amendments to the Finance Bill could it please submit one to stop the obscenely large rise in the 40% threshold and share it our among all taxpayers instead or even use it to uprate benefits in line with inflation.

You do know McDonnell has publically supported it
    Yes and for the life of me I cannot see why.
    It is the right thing to do. Aspiration matters
    So you have to be bribed to be aspirant do you?
    That is just silly
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:
    DUP = National unity government :o
    Can't be long before Labour tables a VONC in the government.

If the DUP fail to support the government (which has got to be highly likely) it's off to the polls we go and bye bye Theresa. And good riddance.
    Why do you hate Theresa- savour of the nation?
    Wasn't that Lily-the-Pink?
    The saviour of the human raaacee

Hang on wasnt that Gordon Brown
  • Options

justin124 said:

Fairly straightfoward...

1) Be male
    Shirley Williams and Thatcher were of that era.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You know Beverley - I know you didn't mean it the way it came across but I have to say I think that was tactlessly phrased.

It must have been tactlessly phrased because I certainly did not mean to be tactless. Sorry.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Some police officers will do anything for pussy...
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Fairly straightfoward...

1) Be male
    Shirley Williams and Thatcher were of that era.
    Women who changed the world. Good for them :+1:
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You know Beverley - I know you didn't mean it the way it came across but I have to say I think that was tactlessly phrased.

It must have been tactlessly phrased because I certainly did not mean to be tactless. Sorry.
    VM for you.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

If the government is going to accept all the Labour amendments to the Finance Bill could it please submit one to stop the obscenely large rise in the 40% threshold and share it our among all taxpayers instead or even use it to uprate benefits in line with inflation.

You do know McDonnell has publically supported it
    Yes and for the life of me I cannot see why.
    It is the right thing to do. Aspiration matters
    So you have to be bribed to be aspirant do you?
    That is just silly
    Well you raised it. According to you people aspire to earn more so that they can pay tax at 40% rather than they can earn more and provide better for their families. Yes, you're being very silly indeed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Very easy. Hobsbawm said any degree less than a third at Cambridge in his earlier days of teaching there (which was about 1958 I think) was a piece of paper with writing on it because otherwise the failure rate would be embarrassing. He did say however that it was very difficult indeed to get a First.
    But what proportion of applicants was then accepted by the colleges? It occurs to me that far fewer pupils were then in the market seeking a university place - particularly from the state sector. Not that many stayed on to take the Higher Certificate in the sixth form in those days - though I believe that Oxbridge then relied on their Entrance Exams.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

VM for you.
    Reply for you.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    How does he know?

A VONC in the government and a general election is going to be just as likely as a second referendum - More so if DUP and Labour team up to bring the government down.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

kinabalu said:

Estimate the horsepower of a grasshopper.

:-)

What?

0.0005kg * 1m * 9.81m/s2 = 0.0049 Joules

Nobody uses horsepower in energy calculations these days.... SI units only please.
    Tsk. That's energy, not power. Back to school.

Divide by (say) 0.01 seconds to give 0.49 J/s or Watts, which is 0.00066 hp.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

Just wait until we get to the end of the conventional qualifying for Euro 2020 and it becomes apparent that it's in someone's interest to lose.

I am very tired and have been drinking wine, you might have explain the first bit to me...
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Anorak said:

kinabalu said:

What?

Nobody uses horsepower in energy calculations these days.... SI units only please.

:)

You anorak you .... :D
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Oil down 7% in just a few hours:

https://www.bloomberg.com/energy

Putting my "confused" hat on for a second - not clear why both oil and the airlines are down.
    War not good for airlines

OPEC failure not good for oil prices
    What war did you have in mind?
    Oops. Sorry.

Forget I said anything
    Having been reassured by @Nigelb I'm now suddenly worried again. Are you telling me that a planned war has been delayed and hasn't started?
    I’m not telling you anything Dr
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

I am very tired and have been drinking wine, you might have explain the first bit to me...
    It's not inconceivable that a team might be unable to make the top 2 of their group, but might be playing a team who could finish in the top 2, and were they to do so, their playoff place would cascade to their opponents in the nations league.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

How does he know?

A VONC in the government and a general election is going to be just as likely as a second referendum - More so if DUP and Labour team up to bring the government down.
    So the DUP tie up with Corbyn - you are in fantasy land.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Yes, much better than the usual Euro-qualifiers, which seem to depend on who can give the biggest thrashing to football tiddlers like San Marino.
    I predict it will eventually eclipse those, if UEFA develop it. Very competitive tournament. This Scotland vs Israel match is another corker. There have been so many brilliant matches.
    Not every one is gripped by it!

https://twitter.com/SamWhyte/status/1064973471455825920?s=19
    But in Jeremiah 12:17 it says we should be two-nil up!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

How does he know?

These are very, very strange times. ;)

I could see something happening like in 1979 when the SNP voted with the Blessed Margaret to end the Labour government... That was over referendum troubles as well wasn't it?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:
    Some police officers will do anything for pussy...
    Mrs Slocombe walks among us yet.......
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

It's not inconceivable that a team might be unable to make the top 2 of their group, but might be playing a team who could finish in the top 2, and were they to do so, their playoff place would cascade to their opponents in the nations league.
    Ah yes, I can see that. Interesting.

Beautiful Forrest hattrick for Scotland.
  • Options
    We must be due a YouGov poll soon? We've only had one in November so far where-as in October there was five?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:

kinabalu said:

What?

:)

You anorak you .... :D
    Oui, c'est moi.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

But what proportion of applicants was then accepted by the colleges? It occurs to me that far fewer pupils were then in the market seeking a university place - particularly from the state sector. Not that many stayed on to take the Higher Certificate in the sixth form in those days - though I believe that Oxbridge then relied on their Entrance Exams.
    I don't know. I can tell you from this link that in 1950 43% of Oxford entrants were state educated and 34% of Cambridge entrants were, which suggests a strong degree of bias towards wealthier students even after free higher education was brought in in 1944, but I don't know how many applicants they had. There are no reliable statistics readily available for this before 1990.

They brought in the entrance exam in 1944 I think. There wasn't one after the First World War, I know.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

How does he know?

I could see the DUP tying up Corbyn, in all fairness.

And then brutally torturing him to death, but that's not the sort of thing I want to see in politics even for the likes of a Corbyn.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

GIN1138 said:

How does he know?

The DUP are more pragmatic, and less principled, than you might think. As someone here pointed out yesterday, if they were willing to share power with Martin McGuinness from 2007, they won't have too many qualms about a one-time arrangement with Corbyn, better known for marmalade than Molotovs.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

The DUP are more pragmatic, and less principled, than you might think.

They cannot possibly be less principled than I believe them to be.

Edit - sharing power is very different from the sort of arrangement they would have with Corbyn. Stormont had limited power and they could check it at any time by collapsing power-sharing. Corbyn is an unabashed supporter of the IRA and a united Ireland and would have nearly unlimited power.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

OLD THREAD!

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    NASA losing the plot:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/11/nasa-plans-invasive-review-of-spacex-after-musk-smoked-weed/?fbclid=IwAR1xwmBczNe2BwAdPBqijGZpwcdkPoc2vbkpGlGDaZgw66U3WkJ8u27XlDc

Elon smokes pot ?

More delays whilst extensive culture testing takes place at not only SpaceX but Boeing too...

Rocket blows up, hole in Soyuz capsule on mission before that ?

No worries - US astronauts fly up again on December 3rd with Russian safety !
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

I don't know. I can tell you from this link that in 1950 43% of Oxford entrants were state educated and 34% of Cambridge entrants were, which suggests a strong degree of bias towards wealthier students even after free higher education was brought in in 1944, but I don't know how many applicants they had. There are no reliable statistics readily available for this before 1990.

They brought in the entrance exam in 1944 I think. There wasn't one after the First World War, I know.
    On what basis were students admitted in the absence of an entrance exam?
    I don't believe the 1944 Act was implemented until the late 1940s.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Pulpstar said:

NASA losing the plot:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/11/nasa-plans-invasive-review-of-spacex-after-musk-smoked-weed/?fbclid=IwAR1xwmBczNe2BwAdPBqijGZpwcdkPoc2vbkpGlGDaZgw66U3WkJ8u27XlDc

Elon smokes pot ?

More delays whilst extensive culture testing takes place at not only SpaceX but Boeing too...

Rocket blows up, hole in Soyuz capsule on mission before that ?

No worries - US astronauts fly up again on December 3rd with Russian safety !

The Russian / Soyuz situation is an aberration, and one that is politically out of their control. This makes sense.

After all, they are the paymaster to both companies.
  • Options
    NotchNotch Posts: 145
    edited November 2018
    ydoethur said:

(...) even after free higher education was brought in in 1944 (...)

It was in 1962 that mandatory student grants were introduced for both tuition fees and maintenance. But some local authorities contributed to tuition fees before then.

The last conscripts entered the armed forces in 1960 and left in 1963.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

On what basis were students admitted in the absence of an entrance exam?
    I don't believe the 1944 Act was implemented until the late 1940s.
    @justin124

On the basis of an interview. That was it. Sometimes they had school reports, but not always.

Edit - I think with regard to secondary education it was implemented from 1945 but the actual changes in exams didn't take effect until 1947, while the rollout of the new school system was hampered by the administration involved. Could be wrong though, I haven't checked. The exams began for ex-servicemen though so I believe were earlier.
This discussion has been closed.