Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After a difficult week since the “deal” was published some wel

12346»

Comments

• TOPPING said:

If TM wins this she is entitled to stay as long as she wishes. Furthermore she has recently shown a side of her which was not on view in 2017.

This is heading towards her 'Falklands' moment

She'll be entitled to stay but she will go. She will have expended all her energy on it, political or otherwise.
    And if that is the case she will have secured her legacy and respect
    Her legacy of having completely bollocksed up the Brexit negotiations, failed to convince her party of her dodgy deal, and then slinking off into the sunset a broken and exhausted failure.

TBH it's better than the incompetent racist old fuck deserves as a legacy.
    Your crude language is pathetic. Manners maketh man
    Big G you are a lot better when you are the authentic voice of Conservatism and as such a national (PB) treasure.

Language and manners policeman, less so.
    I just do not accept crude language has a part in debate
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited November 2018
    TOPPING said:

If TM wins this she is entitled to stay as long as she wishes. Furthermore she has recently shown a side of her which was not on view in 2017.

She'll be entitled to stay but she will go. She will have expended all her energy on it, political or otherwise.
    Her legacy of having completely bollocksed up the Brexit negotiations, failed to convince her party of her dodgy deal, and then slinking off into the sunset a broken and exhausted failure.

Big G you are a lot better when you are the authentic voice of Conservatism and as such a national (PB) treasure.

I find your cowering behind your petticoats like a timid scullery maid tiresome in extremis, Big G.

You're welcome to disagree, of course. But I think nasty racist old fucker is a perfectly cromulent enumeration of May's broader political outlook.
  • TOPPING said:

I find your cowering behind your petticoats like a timid scullery maid tiresome in extremis, Big G.

You're welcome to disagree, of course. But I think nasty racist old fucker is a perfectly cromulent enumeration of May's broader political outlook.
    Says more about you than me
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

I wonder if the EU's bad faith refusal to discuss the backstop will make this a nice round 70 by Sunday teatime.

Refusal to discuss it? Did this document that's been agreed by the British Prime Minister just emerge from thin air?

TOPPING said:

I don't give a flying badger's fuck what you accept, TBQHWY.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

:D:D:D
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/here-are-all-the-tory-mps-who-have-indicated-so-far-that

By our count 75 Tory MPs – both Leavers and Remainers – have publicly indicated they won't vote for May's deal.

- StandUp4Brexit MPs
    - letter writers
    - those who resigned
    - others who've indicated they cannot support it

• ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited November 2018
    https://www.itv.com/news/2018-11-20/easyjet-ceo-johan-lundgren-confident-flights-will-continue-in-a-no-deal-brexit/

Perhaps. this in the event of no deal, a "bare bones" agreement is something that May has in her back pocket.
    So voting against the WDA will not result in a total no deal at all.
  • https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/here-are-all-the-tory-mps-who-have-indicated-so-far-that

By our count 75 Tory MPs – both Leavers and Remainers – have publicly indicated they won't vote for May's deal.

- StandUp4Brexit MPs
    - letter writers
    - those who resigned

I reckon 40 (30 Brexiteers + 10 Remainers/PV).

Although I get the sense that the gov't can get that leaver number down now the ERG have demonstrated their weakness

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-11-20/easyjet-ceo-johan-lundgren-confident-flights-will-continue-in-a-no-deal-brexit/

Perhaps. this in the event of no deal "bare bones" agreement is something that May has in her back pocket.
    So voting against the WDA will not result in a total no deal at all.

Some deal is better than a bum deal.
  • TOPPING said:

It's funny that the pollsters seem to be shying away from actually asking the question "what do you think of the deal?"

Because while we're farting about laughing at some old white men prancing around for our amusement, opposition to the deal seems to be hardening in all quarters.
    LOL. What do you think of A La Recherche du Temps Perdu would probably yield more informed answers.
    That book once got me a job offer. The interviewer turned out to be a great Proust fan, but only in the English translation. I had just read it in French.

(I didn't take the job offer, though).
    Was it a waste of time?
  • https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/here-are-all-the-tory-mps-who-have-indicated-so-far-that

- StandUp4Brexit MPs
    - letter writers
    - those who resigned

Maybe we should start a list of right-leaning PBers against the deal.

1. Grabcocque
    2. GIN1138

...?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/here-are-all-the-tory-mps-who-have-indicated-so-far-that

- StandUp4Brexit MPs
    - letter writers
    - those who resigned

I reckon 40 (30 Brexiteers + 10 Remainers/PV).

Although I get the sense that the gov't can get that leaver number down now the ERG have demonstrated their weakness
    Why though? Humiliation rarely makes people less angry in my experience.

All that's happened is they've fallen in line behind somebody who has a plausible strategy for getting rid of May. Practically, this makes the ERG more dangerous now, because they're finally being marshalled by the competent.

YES WE FABRICANT.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

The old favourites are the best.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

TOPPING said:

I suppose the difference in attitude reflects a difference in upbringing.

- StandUp4Brexit MPs
    - letter writers
    - those who resigned

Maybe we should start a list of right-leaning PBers against the deal.

1. Grabcocque
    2. GIN1138

...?

You misunderstand me. Everyone on here does except for TSE. I like to view politics through the prism of early 90s TV scifi.

May's dodgy deal is the work of a Vorlon. Me, I am a Shadow.
    RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

I suppose the difference in attitude reflects a difference in upbringing.
    Maybe. I'm come from a white working class background, swearing is a natural and normal part of a well-rounded rustic argot.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    New playground overleaf.
    Newt H Read?
  • JayWJayW Posts: 33
    I wonder how many times May has supposedly been heading for her 'Falklands' moment according to the adorably optimistic BigG? She can barely win any vote in parliament at all at the moment. The opposition voters who will go for this deal will barely count in the single figures, likewise abstentions.
  • Maybe. I'm come from a white working class background, swearing is a natural and normal part of a well-rounded rustic argot.

Oi, I've got the working class PBer sewn up.

If I remember correctly you were educated at a very rough actual dump, which explains it all.
  • NEW THREAD

• justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

I'm trying to read the tea leaves on Number 10's apparent pivot from "It's my deal or no deal" to "It's my deal or no Brexit". As far as I can tell, it's a bad sign for the prospect of the deal getting through parliament, because it means they've given up on trying to persuade Remain/soft Brexit leaning no-voters, and are instead trying to persuade no deal/hard Brexit leaning no-voters, who are both less numerous and probably more hardened in their opposition. Or is there another interpretation?

She's addressing two different constituencies - and no Brexit and no Deal are both possibilities, if her deal is rejected.
    She is now moving towards EUref2 if her Deal is rejected which would almost certainly see Remain win so she is telling the ERG back my Deal on a first or second vote or see Brexit likely cancelled
    Seems like she's abandoned any hope of winning in 2022.

On today's Yougov she would actually gain a seat in 2022 even with UKIP up to 6%.

Why risk it with a No Deal recession?

Recent months have shown a pro-Tory house effect in YouGgov polls when viewed in relation to other pollsters. As it is, a 3% lead is a mere 0.3% swing from Lab to Con and some Labour MPs affected could expect a first term incumbency boost.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

Barnesian said:

Not so. People who voted for Remain were voting for Cameron's deal. That's what would have happened if Remain won. People who voted for Leave were not voting for a particular deal and we have seem the consequence of that. Surely you can see the difference? If not, I can't help you any further.

There is no difference between the two. Cameron's deal was non existent in reality as it did not reflect what would have happened had we stayed in. All those who thought that by voting remain they were voting for no change in our position in the EU were kidding themselves. That is the reality. If you can't see that you are no help to anyone.
    Richard, it's good to have you back on PB but, as per your apology to Beverley the other day, I wish you would learn to moderate your more personal comments.

Your response above was fine, informative and a well-argued point, until you got to the last sentence.

There was no need for that last sentence. It adds nothing to your argument and simply personalises the discussion. You have four sentences of playing the ball and then one unnecessary sentence of playing the man.

You've clearly recognised the issue and fair play to you for doing so. Please, take a couple of seconds to reflect before hitting 'Post Comment' each time. Thank you.
    To be fair to Richard in that case, he was responding in kind, and in a similar tone, to the previous comment.
    That's correct. I wasn't offended, just amused.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2018

It's funny that the pollsters seem to be shying away from actually asking the question "what do you think of the deal?"

Because while we're farting about laughing at some old white men prancing around for our amusement, opposition to the deal seems to be hardening in all quarters.
    Irony being that most of those opposed to it have never read it, or actually understand the details. Esteemed PBers excepted.

May has been really, really, really, really shit at explaining and selling it. It's not one tenth as bad as its been portrayed.
This discussion has been closed.