Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris might need much more than Moggsy’s public backing if he’

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,288
    edited November 2018

Jeremy doing his best to help TMay.

He will be infuriating a lot of voters and as for the EU leaders they must be livid
  • Options

Corbyn is ridiculous. Just so sad labour hasn't got a statesman to lead it

They'd be 25 points ahead if they did.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

They certainly have no chance of being elected if they abandon Brexit or go ahead with May’s BRINO

If Theresa May manages to get this through the party should be in an excellent position. She'll have delivered Brexit, which even sensible Remainers acknowledge is desirable given the referendum result. She'll have got an end to automatic freedom of movement, which was the principal motivation of Leave voters and a major concern for many Remain voters. We'll be out of the CAP and CFP. She'll have ended direct jurisdiction of the ECJ in UK domestic law, killed off 'ever closer union', and removed the impact of EU law on a range of domestic topics. At the same time she'll have avoided economic catastrophe and the disruption of a no-deal crash out.

Of course, if the noisome ultras keep the party split and howl that all this progress - which is exactly what they campaigned for, almost word-for-word - as 'betrayal', then, yes, the party will be very severely damaged.

I'm not optimistic. They seem to have gone raving mad in a destructive frenzy, trashing their success, after succeeding against the odds. A funny old world, indeed,
    I don’t think you can claim any of those for May’s deal. “Ending freedom of movement” is just semantics until we know what happens to immigration and immigration policy post any deal being concluded. We don’t. Similarly, the CFP where fishing rights under the “political statement” have yet to be negotiated. Same with the CAP if we keep EU regs and subsidies to farmers. The extent to which the ECJ will continue to be the final arbiter on U.K. legal cases is also unknown as yet.

May’s agreement seems to give the EU what the want. What it gives Britain is distinctly unclear.

Rabid Tory europhiles like Soubry and Greening are going to be as upset as Brexiteers such as Bone and JRM so the prospects for party unity are pretty non existent.
    But that was always going to be the case. The EU was never going to set up a fully functioning free-trade agreement until the Withdrawal Argeement was done and in place.

So May’s deal is a “blind Brexit”. No one in their right minds, whether they are pro Brexit or anti, should think that is worth having or is “a good deal”.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

The future relationship document is 26 pages of non-binding waffle with acres of wriggle room built in. It sells no-one out because it contains no firm commitments. To get outraged by it is to reveal yourself to be someone looking for reasons to be outraged.

What an outrageous thing to say. I'm outraged.
  • Options

True, but also irrelevant. The narrative avalanche has started. If you squint your ears "May betrays UK fishing, gets nothing in return" is being breathed on the political winds.

Quite possibly. But one doesn't need to join in the nonsense.
    What then PB?

In all seriousness, selling any deal has always looked tough - too much to gain by mistruths, not that genuine concerns are not also in play .
  • Options

FPT:

Freggles said:

Bring back the days of buying a game and that's it.

Glad the rumours of the death of 2nd hand game discs haven't yet come true, at least.

As a reasonably hardcore PC gamer, I can only agree with this. These days its:
    1. Release game with multiple bugs and charge full price.
    2. Release 'DLC' which is effectively paid for patches to bring the game up to speed over the next 2 years.

Total cost of a 'new' game has gone from £30-£40 ten years ago to well over £100 if you buy everything on day one. That increase isn't inflation alone.

I never buy games at release anymore, and when I hear of one I might be interested in playing, I just think 'Oh, that'll interest me to buy in maybe three years time when its all patched and DLCed up'.
    You missed.

0. Charge for "early access" version, which isn't even an alpha version, 2 years before actual release.
    3. Charge extra for access to buggy and unfinished game 4 days before advertised release date.
    4. Make the game such a grind to level up, that its requires either use of micotransaction purchases or 100hrs of side missions in order to be strong enough to actually progress with the main story.
    Indeed. It's probably the main reasons my favourite games are:

Countdown to Doomsday (1990)
    Gateway to the Savage Frontier (1991)
    UFO: Enemy Unknown (1994)
    Civilisation II (1995)
    Hearts of Iron 2 (2005)
    Neverwinter Nights (2002)

The game I'm playing at the moment is Fallout New Vegas, which at a 2010 release is relatively new, but it's also completely 'settled' meaning what I see is what I get. No one is going to fleece me out of another £20 in the future.
    Just replayed that myself. Holds up well.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

May is such a technocrat. Her technique of never ending repetition, killing intelligent debate by making it tedious, could work for her - but I doubt on this it won't. It might have worked in the Home office, but the passion for Brexit could well override it.

Probably. She cannot fight passion with passion so uses the tactics she can. But brexit is a special case.
  • Options
    If what is on offer is not what people voted for, as though there was a single prospectus , then we know what should be done. Remainers will be surprised how many converts they are making.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The good old "Didn't believe in unicorns hard enough" excuse
    The number of dissident Conservative MPs is going up rather than down at present. If the government has a strategy for getting the sheep back in the pen, it needs to start sending the collies out sooner rather than later.
    I don't think it does. I think it's just hoping that some don't follow through and labour are less united in rejecting it than they seem . Pretty hopeless really, but it's just going through the motions.
This discussion has been closed.