Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This might be the moment for Rory Stewart – the old Etonian of

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

I wonder if Shadsy will over on all of this happening?

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1065825614781927424

I think that is quite likely. But as things stand it's not looking enough.
    fpt:
    TOPPING said:

Mr. Mark, there'd be an argument to try and frame the debate in the most helpful way for position X.

However, the options are critical. If it's May's rubbish deal versus Remain, I maintain that Remain will win handily.

If it's Leave (with no deal) versus Remain, that'll be tighter.

May's only hope, after Westminster votes it down, is to ask: given you wanted Brexit, what type of Brexit do you want: No Deal or My Deal? Her Deal would handily win and she would get her way. Problem being she said yesterday she is not PM if there is a second Referendum. So it would rather require her successor to be sufficiently wedded to her deal to go around the country asking the voters if they would like a Theresa May "Shit sandwich? Or starving to death?"
    She already tried framing it as her deal or no deal. It didn't work
    We haven't had the vote yet. I would expect a very late night with beer and sandwiches on the night before with Ollie and Tezza and the DUP. And then for the DUP to troop through the Aye lobby.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited November 2018
    Twitter has a great deal to answer for. Our (and international) representatives seem to see it as some sort of ephemeral telephone call and not an indelible record of their painting themselves into corners. There’s much to be said for thought and silence but I fear that bridge has long been crossed.

[reading the Sanchez tweet]
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Can I just say, completely off topic, that what UKIP is doing teaming up with Tommy Robinson is an utter disgrace.

In fairness Farage shares your view:

Nigel Farage bids to topple UKIP leader Gerard Batten over Tommy Robinson role

https://news.sky.com/story/tommy-robinson-becomes-adviser-to-ukip-leader-gerard-batten-11560682

But I suspect Batten is the true colours of UKIP and Farage the exception.
    Yet Farage is quite happy to use well worn tropes about the Jews.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-jewish-lobby-nigel-farage-power-anti-semitism-ukip-leader-a8031191.html
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Can I just say, completely off topic, that what UKIP is doing teaming up with Tommy Robinson is an utter disgrace.

In fairness Farage shares your view:

Nigel Farage bids to topple UKIP leader Gerard Batten over Tommy Robinson role

https://news.sky.com/story/tommy-robinson-becomes-adviser-to-ukip-leader-gerard-batten-11560682

But I suspect Batten is the true colours of UKIP and Farage the exception.
    True. He was pretty clear on this on R4 this morning. But Farage emboldened people like Batten with his posters during the EU campaign. So he might want to examine the beams in his own eyes first.
    is Farage distancing himself from UKIP making him a future Tory????? Maybe he will get into Parliament after all, he just needs the right leadership to let him in (bit like Robinson into UKIP)
  • Options

[snip]

The other advantage you've left out of the deal, which many are forgetting in focussing purely on the economics, is that we are out of the political project and ever closer union.

Any form of Remain sees us tied in to that explicitly or implicitly. We will forever be able to choose the level of co-operation the UK has with a single EU armed force, single tax area, single currency, single national anthem, etc etc.

This is a precious freedom for many of us who voted Leave fearful of the end destination.

Yes, fair point.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    So, I wake up this morning to find that black is white, the lion is lying down with the lamb, and Brexit now means Remain.

I think what's happening here is that the Brexit Buccaneers are trying to avoid blame. Now that May has made it quite clear that No Deal isn't on the cards, the Brexiteers have to make the calculation "what will incur more blame for me, personally?"

Since it seems now pretty much universally accepted that May's deal will be significantly worse for the country than Remain, maybe it's not surprising the Buccaneers have made a damascene conversion to continuity remain.

Sure, there'll be a short term hit to their popularity amongst the gammon faced men, but in the medium-long term, they won't have to suffer being saddled with the never ending fallout from the botched brexit negotations and May's squalid little deal.

Expect more Brexit big names going Hard Remain soon. Boris can't be far behind.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

FF43 said:

Hardly any Leave voters make the logical connection that if the deal's worse than remaining it's because staying in the EU is better than leaving.

I'm changing my view somewhat. I'm beginning to think Brexit is actually unworkable, and not just full of contradictions and very crap.
    It's certainly workable, if Brexiteers want it to work. The workable version is what Theresa May is proposing. Of course in economic terms is not as good as remaining in the EU with Cameron't renegotiation package would have been, but we all knew that Brexit was going to be a net economic disbenefit, so that's not news. Against the economic disadvantages, the May deal version of Brexit offers most of the advantages the Leave campaign promised: an end to free movement, taking back control of our domestic laws to a considerable extent, an end to the CFP and CAP. Personally I don't think those are worth the economic hit, but that's what people voted for.

In other words, with May's deal Brexit would be a mistake, but not a disaster. The new line of the Brexiteers is that want to ensure it really is a disaster. It's a curious position for them to take.
    I think that is a very cogent summary of the position. We voted narrowly to leave, and the deal/future agreement is leaving narrowly.

The other advantage you've left out of the deal, which many are forgetting in focussing purely on the economics, is that we are out of the political project and ever closer union.

Any form of Remain sees us tied in to that explicitly or implicitly. We will forever be able to choose the level of co-operation the UK has with a single EU armed force, single tax area, single currency, single national anthem, etc etc.

This is a precious freedom for many of us who voted Leave fearful of the end destination.

My view entirely.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Thanks for your replies @Richard_Nabavi and @TheWhiteRabbit .

TheWhiteRabbit - the issue that concerns me is not exporters and standards but the "backstop's" implication that the UK could remain forever a satellite of the EU if the EU prevaricates over the FTA which would make a backstop unnecessary. On this I am somewhat relieved by Richard Nabavi's answer that it is not in their interest to do so.

The backstop grants to rUK a status that the EU would never give to an applicant nation, and a status to NI that the UK would never have asked for if the UK had not joined in 1972 but was doing so now.

My only hesitation is the status of the rUK is something we'd quite like the EU to make peace with.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Can I just say, completely off topic, that what UKIP is doing teaming up with Tommy Robinson is an utter disgrace. I hope UKIP disappear.

But to give airtime to that man - a convicted fraudster, a man who doesn't give a toss about poor girls being raped except insofar as it allows him to pose as some sort of a "defender of his people" and get gullible Americans and others to give him money so that he can live in a luxurious house in a gated community - shows that UKIP have lost what little moral compass they may ever have had.

God knows we do need to address the very real issues associated with integration of some Muslim communities and the attitude of some Muslim men to women and, indeed, the desirability of continued immigration into this country from parts of the Muslim world.

But this is absolutely not the way to do it. The disappearance of the BNP and the NF and similar groupuscules has been a good thing. We do not need their like resurrected now.

UKIP have always been like this, once you removed the facade UKIP have always been the BNP in blazers.

I did warn Kippers but they laughed it off.

UKIP might end up being a proscribed organisation like Combat 18 given the nasty side of the EDL.

Brexit has emboldened further.
    It's not just the EDL side which I find repellent. Nor the fact that people like him care nothing about the girls; they are just a convenient peg on which to hang their dislike of "Pakis" (to use a phrase that used to be common amongst BNP types). These two factors alone should be enough.

But Robinson is so obviously a crook and a fraudster.

How can people be so taken in?

I know the answer: if over 100 MPs can sign a petition to let that self-pitying fraudster, Adoboli, stay in the country (now rightly deported) then what hope is there for a moron like Batten to have some common and moral sense.

Why can't people see what is in front of their nose???
    Tommy Robinson and his friends don't like Pakis and the whole multiculturalism, the latter chimes in with UKIP's worldview.

Having engaged with the EDL earlier on this year it is all rather frightening.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited November 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Can I just say, completely off topic, that what UKIP is doing teaming up with Tommy Robinson is an utter disgrace. I hope UKIP disappear.

But to give airtime to that man - a convicted fraudster, a man who doesn't give a toss about poor girls being raped except insofar as it allows him to pose as some sort of a "defender of his people" and get gullible Americans and others to give him money so that he can live in a luxurious house in a gated community - shows that UKIP have lost what little moral compass they may ever have had.

God knows we do need to address the very real issues associated with integration of some Muslim communities and the attitude of some Muslim men to women and, indeed, the desirability of continued immigration into this country from parts of the Muslim world.

But this is absolutely not the way to do it. The disappearance of the BNP and the NF and similar groupuscules has been a good thing. We do not need their like resurrected now.

UKIP have always been like this, once you removed the facade UKIP have always been the BNP in blazers.

UKIP might end up being a proscribed organisation like Combat 18 given the nasty side of the EDL.

It's not just the EDL side which I find repellent. Nor the fact that people like him care nothing about the girls; they are just a convenient peg on which to hang their dislike of "Pakis" (to use a phrase that used to be common amongst BNP types). These two factors alone should be enough.

I know the answer: if over 100 MPs can sign a petition to let that self-pitying fraudster, Adoboli, stay in the country (now rightly deported) then what hope is there for a moron like Batten to have some common and moral sense.

Too many people will excuse anything that members of their own side do.
    True.

It doesn't explain those daft MPs, though. Too many people are too willing to believe bullshit.
    one mans bullshit is anothers fertiliser
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Surely if the DUP back it all those Tory MPs who said they weren't happy with the Northern Ireland aspect will fall in line?

I suppose so, to some extent. The deal-trashing seems have gathered its own momentum, though.
    It's only increasing, true.
    The deal started out with a large anti-vote, and these kind of pile ons quickly become self-sustaining.

But yes, the Parliamentary mood started negative on the deal and gets more hostile by the hour.

I doubt Brexit now apparently meaning Remain will slow this rising tide at all.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

This post pretty much sums up the disconnect between the political class and a lot of ordinary working class people.

Literally anyone who publicly shows concern for extreme Islam and the child rape gangs (that seem to be operating in every town in Britain with a sizeable Pakistani community) is accused of being a disgusting racist who is only doing it because they hate "Pakis".

In fact the political class gets far more agitated about him bringing attention to these cases than the actual rape of girls in their thousands. It's facilitating rape on an industrial scale whilst simultaneously patting themselves on the back about what wonderful people they are (whilst making sure them and their children live as far away from these areas as they possibly can).

They'll demonise this bloke and find any excuse to lock him away forever using whatever pretext they can find and do exactly the same to the next bloke who tries to tackle these issues.

Meanwhile the rapes continue unhindered and extreme Islam continues to grow.

If someone like Trump ever gets in they'll be the first ones asking BUT WHY!?
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    er.

Tommy Robinson and his friends don't like Pakis and the whole multiculturalism, the latter chimes in with UKIP's worldview.

I find the use of this language utterly unacceptable - the P word is offensive
  • Options
    Xenon said:

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of men now in jail for these offences. In which conspiracy theory does that qualify as "unhindered"?
  • Options

er.

I find the use of this language utterly unacceptable - the P word is offensive

You haven't lived until you've had the P word chanted at you by a few hundred EDL supporters, like I did in Piccadilly Gardens back in 2009.
  • Options
    Look, let's be honest. The gammons voting for UKIP now are not doing so because they're Eurosceptic, but because they're Islamosceptic.

UKIP is the only UK political party that puts intense victimisation of Muslims as a main plank of their policy raft. So at least we now know what percentage of the UK electorate thinks hating Muslims outstrips all other political concerns.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Without DUP votes, May needs significant Labour support (~50)
    With DUP votes, May needs significant Labour support (~30)

And the chances of that seem very remote, only about 10 Labour names have been mentioned as possible supporters of the deal and some of them have declared publicly they will not vote for it (Hoey, Stringer etc).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Xenon said:

This post pretty much sums up the disconnect between the political class and a lot of ordinary working class people.

Literally anyone who publicly shows concern for extreme Islam and the child rape gangs (that seem to be operating in every town in Britain with a sizeable Pakistani community) is accused of being a disgusting racist who is only doing it because they hate "Pakis".

In fact the political class gets far more agitated about him bringing attention to these cases than the actual rape of girls in their thousands. It's facilitating rape on an industrial scale whilst simultaneously patting themselves on the back about what wonderful people they are (whilst making sure them and their children live as far away from these areas as they possibly can).

They'll demonise this bloke and find any excuse to lock him away forever using whatever pretext they can find and do exactly the same to the next bloke who tries to tackle these issues.

The biggest issue for me is that too many of the people who show concern for child rape gangs utterly ignore other, similar events (and sometimes worse), and routinely dismiss womens' (and sometimes even mens') issues.

Hence it is hard not to believe they are more bothered about the identity of the perpetrators than justice for the victims.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Hardly any Leave voters make the logical connection that if the deal's worse than remaining it's because staying in the EU is better than leaving.

I'm changing my view somewhat. I'm beginning to think Brexit is actually unworkable, and not just full of contradictions and very crap.
    It's certainly workable, if Brexiteers want it to work. The workable version is what Theresa May is proposing. Of course in economic terms is not as good as remaining in the EU with Cameron't renegotiation package would have been, but we all knew that Brexit was going to be a net economic disbenefit, so that's not news. Against the economic disadvantages, the May deal version of Brexit offers most of the advantages the Leave campaign promised: an end to free movement, taking back control of our domestic laws to a considerable extent, an end to the CFP and CAP. Personally I don't think those are worth the economic hit, but that's what people voted for.

In other words, with May's deal Brexit would be a mistake, but not a disaster. The new line of the Brexiteers is that want to ensure it really is a disaster. It's a curious position for them to take.
    No, the issue is that leavers have always [funnily enough] contended that leaving wouldn't be a disaster. It is remainers saying that to leave properly would be a disaster.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

You haven't lived until you've had the P word chanted at you by a few hundred EDL supporters, like I did in Piccadilly Gardens back in 2009.

But it does look like intense hatred of Muslims isn't, of itself, much of a vote winner.

UKIP's only real policy these days is hating Muslims, and they're struggling to be little more than statistical noise in the polls.

Much better is to do something like May, who has always found ways to align her hobby of victimising immigrants with some tabloid-pleasing but utterly ineffectual crackdown on something or other.

That way you get to be a racist, and still become Prime Minister.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited November 2018

And the chances of that seem very remote, only about 10 Labour names have been mentioned as possible supporters of the deal and some of them have declared publicly they will not vote for it (Hoey, Stringer etc).
    I too struggle to see it happening but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Surely if the DUP back it all those Tory MPs who said they weren't happy with the Northern Ireland aspect will fall in line?

I suppose so, to some extent. The deal-trashing seems have gathered its own momentum, though.
    Certainly, when you get "Brexiters" claiming that joining the Euro, breaking up the UK, giving Gibraltar to Spain, absolutely anything, is better than May's deal. I wonder if some of them just intended to sabotage Brexit from the outset.
    I don't think so - it's not about the end goal. What they represent is patriotic outrage. What there is to be patriotically outraged at at any particular time isn't the point.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Mortimer said:

notme said:

Dura_Ace said:

Although i would give the balance of probabilties to Remain in a 2nd Ref, i don't think it's a slam dunk.

If the leavers can make it about things like the Euro, and EU Army, not to mention Schengen and migration, or things like a future US of E, then that might not be attractive to re-sign up to.

Plus, we have an NHS dividend already awarded from Brexit. "Which hospital wards are you going to close, Remain?"
    None, we'll just borrow the money for them. Nobody gives a fuck where money comes from.
    Mcdonnel has already committed to not borrow for day to day expenditure.
    Pension confiscation, anyone?
    you may be right!!

the corbynista lady on this week last night (who is to be the new statesmen's economics writer) when challenged by Andrew Neil that most companies aren't owned by a rich few as she had just claimed when justifying wholesale nationalisation and state control but by pension funds etc, she then responded yes but that pension wealth is very concentrated unfairly too, most workers don't have such pension savings...

suggests the corbynista view really is that private pension savings aren't fair either...
    Jeremy Corbyn couldn't even bring himself to mention the right to private property when asked to name one good thing about capitalism. I am not surprised that some of his more ignorant supporters believe that all property is theft or similar. It has been only relatively recently that we have heard people talk about land nationalisation and renationalising all ex-council houses and the like. What do people expect when the opposition has been taken over by the Far Left?
    Whilst I disagree that all property is theft, some of the landed gentry probably appropriated more than they should with the Inclosure act of 1773 ^_~
    Of course ' God gave the land to the people'.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    edited November 2018
    Voters rejected the idea of a second referendum to choose between the draft withdrawal agreement and leaving the EU with no deal by 19 points – though one in five said they didn’t know. However, there was only a 9-point margin against a referendum to choose between the draft deal and remaining in the EU....

.....There was less appetite for a general election. Only just over one in five – including fewer than four in ten Labour voters – said there should be a new election before the terms of Brexit are finalised. Only just over one in three said a general election should take place if Theresa May were replaced as PM before the Brexit deal was signed and sealed.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/11/my-new-brexit-poll-good-for-theresa-may-bad-for-her-deal/
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2018

Xenon said:

The biggest issue for me is that too many of the people who show concern for child rape gangs utterly ignore other, similar events (and sometimes worse), and routinely dismiss womens' (and sometimes even mens') issues.

Hence it is hard not to believe they are more bothered about the identity of the perpetrators than justice for the victims.
    The question is whether the Pakistani community in general reject (or not) a culture which appears to tolerate Pakistani gangs abusing non Muslim young white girls. Does multiculturalism mean accepting such a culture?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Voters rejected the idea of a second referendum to choose between the draft withdrawal agreement and leaving the EU with no deal by 19 points – though one in five said they didn’t know. However, there was only a 9-point margin against a referendum to choose between the draft deal and remaining in the EU.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/11/my-new-brexit-poll-good-for-theresa-may-bad-for-her-deal/

Interesting. A lot of the back and forth over here recently has centered on a warming to Theresa May must have meant a warming to her deal.

This appears to be untrue. Whatever credit she's getting for making a good stab of playing that bad hand she dealt herself, the electorate seem to hate the deal as much as Parliament does.

Once again, it does make you appreciate how lucky May is to be squaring off against a LOTO as hopeless as Corbyn.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

Look, let's be honest. The gammons voting for UKIP now are not doing so because they're Eurosceptic, but because they're Islamosceptic.

UKIP is the only UK political party that puts intense victimisation of Muslims as a main plank of their policy raft. So at least we now know what percentage of the UK electorate thinks hating Muslims outstrips all other political concerns.

when we reach the point where even Farage is calling out UKIP for this (R4 interview this morning) we know UKIP is nearing rock bottom
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Xenon said:

Political class thinking is dominated by in-groups and out-groups. You can only criticise the in-group and must never criticise the out-group.

But in these child rape cases it shows how ridiculous the whole charade is. You are more angry about people bringing attention to the rapes, than the rapes themselves. Purely because of the respective race of the groups. Your main focus and source of outrage is whether people trying to stop the rapes from happening are being even-handed about totally unrelated stuff.

You literally even said above that the biggest issue for you is the motivation for those concerned about the child rape gangs. That's the biggest issue to you in the matter. Seriously. And you're not alone...this is standard political thinking and I would wager would match 90% of the people on here's thoughts on the matter. Can you not see how utterly crazy it is?
  • Options

Voters rejected the idea of a second referendum to choose between the draft withdrawal agreement and leaving the EU with no deal by 19 points – though one in five said they didn’t know. However, there was only a 9-point margin against a referendum to choose between the draft deal and remaining in the EU.

Interesting. A lot of the back and forth over here recently has centered on a warming to Theresa May must have meant a warming to her deal.

This appears to be untrue. Whatever credit she's getting for making a good stab of playing that bad hand she dealt herself, the electorate seem to hate the deal as much as Parliament does.

Once again, it does make you appreciate how lucky May is to be squaring off against a LOTO as hopeless as Corbyn.
    I don't know. If they hated the deal, they should support a second referendum.

Instead they back the Deal over No Deal, but back Remain over the Deal, consistent with the mood music.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Perhaps the Conservative Party could stop navel gazing and start thinking about consequences.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

But it does look like intense hatred of Muslims isn't, of itself, much of a vote winner.

UKIP's only real policy these days is hating Muslims, and they're struggling to be little more than statistical noise in the polls.

Much better is to do something like May, who has always found ways to align her hobby of victimising immigrants with some tabloid-pleasing but utterly ineffectual crackdown on something or other.

That way you get to be a racist, and still become Prime Minister.
    Surely you're not suggesting that poor sweet dear frightened-rabbit May is capable of pandering to xenophobes too?
  • Options

I don't know. If they hated the deal, they should support a second referendum.

Instead they back the Deal over No Deal, but back Remain over the Deal, consistent with the mood music.
    It does seem like the outcome with the fewest net-net political costs will be Remain, but it's entirely unclear how Remain comes about from this Parliament, without a People's Vote and/or Corbyn making the same damascene conversion to remainerhood as Dom Raab.
  • Options

This is the Corbynista / new statesmen new employee - a new 'unofficial' outrider speaker for team Jezza a la Owen Jones?

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1065921520839655424

One of those occasions when they are both right.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Any news from the Old Bailey?
  • Options
    Best that they go now, before Comrade Corbyn "abolishes" the Lords in ye olde soviet style.
  • Options
    matt said:

Perhaps the Conservative Party could stop navel gazing and start thinking about consequences.
    I'm trying to but the bellends that are Raab and Davis are focussing on finding out that Calais is close to Dover and that No Deal means no transition.

If there really was a God, he'd me smiting down the loons who are set to ensure a Corbyn Premiership.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    AndyJS said:

Any news from the Old Bailey?

No :(
  • Options
    Mr. Cocque, I'd take hereditaries over appointees.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    UKIP descends into Civil War as former leader Nigel Farage asks its executive to hold a no confidence vote in leader Gerard Batten after he appoints Tommy Robinson as an adviser

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46308160
  • Options
    Here's my prediction for Brexit.

Theresa's deal is rejected by parliament.

Theresa resigns.

A new PM with suitable Brexit credentials (Boris, DD) is installed.

After much toing and froing between Brussels, the new PM comes back with another deal that is logically indistinguishable from Theresa's.

The Brexit Ultras hail it as a triumph and it's passed into law.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Political class thinking is dominated by in-groups and out-groups. You can only criticise the in-group and must never criticise the out-group.

But in these child rape cases it shows how ridiculous the whole charade is. You are more angry about people bringing attention to the rapes, than the rapes themselves. Purely because of the respective race of the groups. Your main focus and source of outrage is whether people trying to stop the rapes from happening are being even-handed about totally unrelated stuff.

You literally even said above that the biggest issue for you is the motivation for those concerned about the child rape gangs. That's the biggest issue to you in the matter. Seriously. And you're not alone...this is standard political thinking and I would wager would match 90% of the people on here's thoughts on the matter. Can you not see how utterly crazy it is?
    "You are more angry about people bringing attention to the rapes, than the rapes themselves."

Nope. Try again.

"You literally even said above that the biggest issue for you is the motivation for those concerned about the child rape gangs."

Yes, I did. Because for all the evil harm these gangs did, they're only a tiny proportion of all the abuse, sexual yet alone non-sexual, that goes on against boys and girls. And too many people who mention these gangs routinely ignore other cases, small and large - and these need tackling just as much as those tragic and evil cases.

If people complaining about the gangs seems genuinely interested in the welfare of the victims, what you would say is fair enough. But sadly it seems all too far from their minds, and what motivates them is the perpetrators' ethnicity.

Sometimes this is extended to the victims, with 'white girls' (often capitalised) being important, ignoring the victims of other ethnicities know to have been abused.

Can you see how crazy that is?
  • Options

On the basis of that poll May could call a Remain v her Deal poll if she cannot get her Deal through Parliament
  • Options

FF43 said:

No, the issue is that leavers have always [funnily enough] contended that leaving wouldn't be a disaster. It is remainers saying that to leave properly would be a disaster.
    By 'properly' you mean some new version of ultra-destructive crash-out Brexit, which bears zero relation to what the Leave campaigners campaigned on - remember all that stuff about reaching an amicable arrangement - the easiest in history - which would mean we were part of 'a free trade deal from Ireland to Turkey' and a smooth transition where 'nothing would change on the day after Brexit' and all that guff?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    O/T

Interesting that the US population has been increasing by less than 2 million a year over the last few years. That's a lot lower than the demographers were forecasting. The fertility rate is a lot lower than expected, just 1.87 compared to 1.88 in the UK, and deaths are higher than expected due to the drugs crisis.
  • Options

Mr. Cocque, I'd take hereditaries over appointees.

Interesting. I think I'm with you on that
  • Options
    Mrs May on BBC 5 Live answering questions:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live
  • Options

Theresa resigns.

After much toing and froing between Brussels, the new PM comes back with another deal that is logically indistinguishable from Theresa's.

Is there time for all that tooing and froing ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    AndyJS said:

O/T

Interesting that the US population has been increasing by less than 2 million a year over the last few years. That's a lot lower than the demographers were forecasting. The fertility rate is a lot lower than expected, just 1.87 compared to 1.88 in the UK, and deaths are higher than expected due to the drugs crisis.

Nice to hear some positive news
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Xenon said:

"You are more angry about people bringing attention to the rapes, than the rapes themselves."

Nope. Try again.

"You literally even said above that the biggest issue for you is the motivation for those concerned about the child rape gangs."

Yes, I did. Because for all the evil harm these gangs did, they're only a tiny proportion of all the abuse, sexual yet alone non-sexual, that goes on against boys and girls. And too many people who mention these gangs routinely ignore other cases, small and large - and these need tackling just as much as those tragic and evil cases.

If people complaining about the gangs seems genuinely interested in the welfare of the victims, what you would say is fair enough. But sadly it seems all too far from their minds, and what motivates them is the perpetrators' ethnicity.

Sometimes this is extended to the victims, with 'white girls' (often capitalised) being important, ignoring the victims of other ethnicities know to have been abused.

BiB - That's quite a big claim, do you have any statistics to back that up?
  • Options

This is the Corbynista / new statesmen new employee - a new 'unofficial' outrider speaker for team Jezza a la Owen Jones?

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1065927108671737857

iirc she was/is a researcher at Demos or IPPR (can't recall which one) and is writing a book on financialisation.

I do hope in the forthcoming GE the party makes it crystal clear that we will be electing democratic socialists and not social democrats. We wouldn't want the public being misled into believing this is going to be anything like any other Labour government would we?

In which case, the next manifesto needs to be a damn sight more honest than the last one.

I want it spelled out. How much nationalisation? When will they draw the line: BT? Or go further - any large corporate? And what about private property and land? Pensions? And the council tax levels? And CGT levels?

I could go on, but you get my drift.
  • Options
    TM 'live ' Q A on 5 live and BBC news 24 channel coming up in one minute
  • Options

AndyJS said:

O/T

This list is very positive news: only 35 countries have a fertility rate of 4 or more according to the latest data.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2127rank.html
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is the Brexiteers counter strike. The last few day's has seen No 10 move to nuke No Deal first. The counter strike is Brexiteers delegitimising the Deal in the most profound way possible - saying Remaining would be better. Some #FBPE fools think this means they now favour Remaining.

I genuinely think now there is a very real possibility of Farage and Boris coming out for a Second Referendum on No Deal Vs Remain. And we never did discover what they were discussing at that Restaurant did we ?
    Remain would probably beat No Deal about 55% to 45% according to polls but that 45% would match the total Yes got in Scotland in 2014 and give Farage and Boris endless scope to cry 'betrayal' (as I think they secretly wanted all along, they never actually wanted Leave to win, a narrow Remain win was always the best result for their careers)
    My feeling is that No Deal beats Remain because in the end the campaign would become the Prime Minister telling the electorate to choose between two options, but you can't choose one of the options it is crazy. I think at the moment the electorate is minded to blow a raspberry at commands that it can't choose to do things (note this could also apply to Corbyn).

That said I cannot envisage May calling a referendum without her deal being on the ballot paper - the struggle will be what is up against it.
    Nope, virtually no chance No Deal beats Remain as about 10% to 20% of the Leave vote was soft Brexiteers who would switch to Remain over the economic damage of No Deal.

Remember Leave only scraped 52% with single market backers, 'easiest deal in history' believers and immigration haters and Singapore lovers all in its tent
    10-20% of the Remain vote I'm sure would be susceptible to the "who governs Britain" argument.
    If they voted Remain last time no Remainers are switching
    Bold statement. Already we have our own @Richard_Nabavi voting Leave next time if there were to be a second referendum.
    Only in the event of the Deal, he would vote Remain over No Deal as I would
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

How's the old gal doing? :D
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

This list is very positive news: only 35 countries have a fertility rate of 4 or more according to the latest data.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2127rank.html
    Let me guess without looking

Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali, Chad...
  • Options

Theresa resigns.

Mogg and the ERG would still prefer No Deal to that, May is not going to resign and the EU will not reopen negotiations anyway
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

She exhibits supreme arrogance and ignorance at the same time. And she's the future of thinking?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

How's the old gal doing? :D
    She's sounding a lot more chipper than I would under the circumstances....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Fascinating panel on the DP (sic)

Leaver woman asked flat our if she preferred remain to this deal, unable to speak, let alone answer.

Fraser Nelson reckons many Brexiteer MPs would answer remain, and posited many 'wavering centrists" might also agree.

Have the headbangers really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory?
  • Options

Xenon said:

Nope. Try again.

"Yes, I did"

This says it all. More worried about not being seen to be racist than these kids being raped.

If the races were reversed you wouldn't be getting so agitated about mentioning the race factor which has motivated these crimes, which has been very well documented.

For example Baroness Warsi stated that a minority of Pakistani men see white girls as fair game, I guess she's a racist too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18117529

As I said before only the in-group is allowed to be criticised and all sorts of mental gymnastics will be performed to make that the source of the outrage.
  • Options
    matt said:

Which John McD is the real one?

Last week he was in the Newstatesman posing as a mild mannered provincial bank manager, reassuring everyone that hardly anyone would pay more tax and that everything had to be done in a sensible, restrained manner, because they need to reach out to ordinary middle income voters.

This week, he seems to be rebuilding Britain as modern version of the Soviets.

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729

Although there is a real possibility (in my mind at least) that there are a reasonably sized bunch of Labour names who will not vote for it, but won't vote against it either. I suspect that a number of the Tory 'rebels' might end up in that position too ("it's a bad deal so I can't vote for it" potentially leads to "it's the only version of leave on the table, so I won't block it")

Maybe I'm just trying to see a way through for the deal to pass because it so obviously should in my mind. (It respects the referendum result, focuses on the things which Leave campaigned on, gives the potential to move in a number of different directions after transition)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

The UK's birth rate is 1.7 children per female. Which means without immigration, the UK's population would be half what it is now in 50 years, and we'd be reduced to 15% of our current population in a century.

Immigration is the only thing stopping the UK from simply evaporating.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

The backstop grants to rUK a status that the EU would never give to an applicant nation ....

Zero-tariff access to the single market, with no EFTA £7ish billion a year and freedom of movement? A more cynical politician might just manoeuvre us to that outcome and leave it there.

Hell, that's exactly what Banks/Farrage said they wanted in the referendum campaign ..... but everybody knew it was impossible to get that agreement without yearly payments and totally bypassing the 4 freedoms.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
    The 100/1 on David Lidington as Next PM (Wm Hill, Fred, Betway) might not be a bad bet. As Vernon Bogdanor points out, if Theresa May goes, there could be an caretaker PM in place whilst the leadership contest happens, and it would have to be someone who's not in the running. He's deputy PM and a safe pair of hands. It's a long shot, but possibly one worth taking at those odds. DYOR, etc. (I'm on for a couple of quid at 500/1, from a few weeks ago).

Note: Formally there's no such thing as a 'caretaker PM', so I think the bet would pay out in these circumstances, but check the exact terms.
  • Options

Xenon said:

The biggest issue for me is the past willingness of people who have been charged with child protection to look the other way while this was taking place.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Voters as a whole prefer leaving the EU with May's Deal to leaving the EU with No Deal by 34% to 27%.

Tory voters are equally split though 35% backing May's Deal and 35% No Deal.

Voters also prefer a Tory government under May to a Labour government under Corbyn by 53% to 47%

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/11/my-new-brexit-poll-good-for-theresa-may-bad-for-her-deal/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Fascinating panel on the DP (sic)

Leaver woman asked flat our if she preferred remain to this deal, unable to speak, let alone answer.

Fraser Nelson reckons many Brexiteer MPs would answer remain, and posited many 'wavering centrists" might also agree.

Have the headbangers really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory?

If you count Theresa May as a headbanger then yes absolutely. This is her defeat and her awful deal. I'd rather remain than this, but then I didn't want May in charge.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    The Ashcroft poll is quite interesting

Keys points
    Labour is losing support on its issues since July 2017 but little change for the Conservatives.

Conservative votes do not think that the Deal honours the result of the referendum.

But they want the Deal to be accepted as an imperfect compromise and get on with other issues.

This suggests that the Conservative MPs could be persuaded that the Deal should be passed.

• Options
    Lennon said:

Maybe I'm just trying to see a way through for the deal to pass because it so obviously should in my mind.

• Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

The UK's birth rate is 1.7 children per female. Which means without immigration, the UK's population would be half what it is now in 50 years, and we'd be reduced to 15% of our current population in a century.

I don't think that birthrate would cut the population to that extent.
  • Options

The 100/1 on David Lidington as Next PM (Wm Hill, Fred, Betway) might not be a bad bet. As Vernon Bogdanor points out, if Theresa May goes, there could be an caretaker PM in place whilst the leadership contest happens, and it would have to be someone who's not in the running. He's deputy PM and a safe pair of hands. It's a long shot, but possibly one worth taking at those odds. DYOR, etc. (I'm on for a couple of quid at 500/1, from a few weeks ago).

Note: Formally there's no such thing as a 'caretaker PM', so I think the bet would pay out in these circumstances, but check the exact terms.

Ahem tipped by me at 100/1

Although I believe one PBer got 350/1 the git.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/12/31/three-tips-on-who-might-be-theresa-mays-successor/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

No it definitely wouldn't!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nope. Try again.

BiB - That's quite a big claim, do you have any statistics to back that up?
    1 in 20 children in the UK has been sexually abused:
    https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/child-abuse-and-neglect/child-sexual-abuse/sexual-abuse-facts-statistics/

Statistics are obviously hard to come by (especially since reporting abuse can be hard), but there are some fairly staggering statistics on that page.

When I was a teenager, I overheard a man saying something like: "If they're old enough to bleed, they're old enough to f**k." If people are wondering about ethnicity and background, he was about as WWC as you can get.

On a personal level, at uni a few years later, I had three female friends tell me, over the space of a few weeks, about how they had been abused. Two by family members. None of them reported it, and in one case she told her family, who did not believe her. Later still, a woman told me about how she had been abused by her dad.

Such stories have rather coloured my views since.

And the adult stats are terrible as well, with 3% of women, and 0.8% of men 16-59, having been sexually assaulted in the last year.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/sexualoffencesinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2017

The scale of the problem is massive.
  • Options
    May appears to have intimated that if her deal is rejected by Parliament then we leave with no deal.

It took the presenter about 8 goes to get an answer from her.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

matt said:

Last week he was in the Newstatesman posing as a mild mannered provincial bank manager, reassuring everyone that hardly anyone would pay more tax and that everything had to be done in a sensible, restrained manner, because they need to reach out to ordinary middle income voters.

I'm not sure you understand his political philosophy at all. The entire point is that the system concentrates wealth into a tiny elite which is certainly much, much smaller than the top 5%- and that's not even starting on the difference between income and wealth (which is far less equally distributed). Focusing on a small percentage rather than taxing the 20% to benefit the 80% isn't a compromise to electability, it's a central feature of his politics.

Whether any of this is realistic or achievable is, of course, an entirely different question.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

I thought it was a complete mystery that he wasn't given the Brexit Secy's job when Raab went off in the huff.

No mystery David, he is a useless pipsqueak, no principles or his own man, just weaselly words to defend the party line. Hopefully he never gets anywhere near the levers of power.
    Agreed Rory S is a bluffer.......spends about 3.5 months on an Army gap year commission (no real training at Sandhurst, more like a work placement), does a couple of jobs at FCO and then goes on to claim he commanded Maysan province (which is bollox) in Iraq....he was/is a functionary with a good PR - the guy tells a good story and not much else. mind you look at Boris J - never afraid of a bit of bluff and he did well with the Tory faithful......
    Seems to be standard for Tories, look at Cameron , he had a pretend job then PM.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,531
    Xenon said:

Before he started talking about rape gangs, Robinson had been jailed for assault (2005), for illegally entering the United States using a false passport (2012) for a £160,000 mortgage fraud (2014). He's also had convictions for drugs offences and public order offences.

Do you think the political classes went back in time and framed Robinson for all these offences? Or maybe, just maybe, the reason he keeps getting locked up is because he keeps breaking the law, and is among the last people you'd ever want to talk to on law and order issues?

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Interesting list. Of the 35 'countries' listed, only 4 are not Sub-Saharan Africa - Afghanistan, Iraq, Timor-Leste and 'Gaza Strip'.
  • Options

I actually managed to back him for a couple of quid at 1000/1 earlier in the year.

I do even better if he's next Conservative leader.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Thanks for your replies @Richard_Nabavi and @TheWhiteRabbit .

TheWhiteRabbit - the issue that concerns me is not exporters and standards but the "backstop's" implication that the UK could remain forever a satellite of the EU if the EU prevaricates over the FTA which would make a backstop unnecessary. On this I am somewhat relieved by Richard Nabavi's answer that it is not in their interest to do so.

LOL< you are easily taken in if you believe him.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

Voters as a whole prefer leaving the EU with May's Deal to leaving the EU with No Deal by 34% to 27%.

Tory voters are equally split though 35% backing May's Deal and 35% No Deal.

Voters also prefer a Tory government under May to a Labour government under Corbyn by 53% to 47%

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/11/my-new-brexit-poll-good-for-theresa-may-bad-for-her-deal/

Only 22% back a general election before Brexit rising to 35% if May is replaced as PM.

Voters oppose a second EU referendum with a Remain v No Deal question by a big 50% to 31% margin and with a Remain v Deal question by a smaller 47% to 38% margin.

• Options

Xenon said:

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of men now in jail for these offences. In which conspiracy theory does that qualify as "unhindered"?
    Took about ten years to do anything though
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Yeah, you're right.

I made the assumption that the average breeding age is 20, but that's pretty low, turns out it's around 24 for a first child. Let's make it 25 for QuickMath

After 50 years, the replacement rate would be .85^2=72%
    After 75 years, the replacement rate 61%
    After 100 years the replacement rate is 50%

So, we're still evaporating, just not that fast.

Now Japan, really are screwed. A fertility rate of 1.4 babies per woman

After 50 years they're at 50% replacement rate
    After 100 years they're at 25% replacement rate.

And Japan has really tight immigration laws. Japan might simply cease to exist over the next century unless something changes.

• Options
    Xenon said:

"Yes, I did"

This says it all. More worried about not being seen to be racist than these kids being raped.

If the races were reversed you wouldn't be getting so agitated about mentioning the race factor which has motivated these crimes, which has been very well documented.

For example Baroness Warsi stated that a minority of Pakistani men see white girls as fair game, I guess she's a racist too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18117529

As I said before only the in-group is allowed to be criticised and all sorts of mental gymnastics will be performed to make that the source of the outrage.

I might suggest you read my reasoning, which follows the admission.

"If the races were reversed you wouldn't be getting so agitated about mentioning the race factor ..."

Ah, thanks for telling me what I would and wold not get agitated about. As it happens, you are wrong.

"As I said before only the in-group is allowed to be criticised"

I have condemned these gangs on here many times in the past. Please try again.
  • Options

Ahem tipped by me at 100/1

Although I believe one PBer got 350/1 the git.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/12/31/three-tips-on-who-might-be-theresa-mays-successor/
    Yet another unknown pygmy
  • Options

I actually managed to back him for a couple of quid at 1000/1 earlier in the year.

I do even better if he's next Conservative leader.
    Interesting bet, thanks chaps. I think a couple of quid may be in order on this one.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited November 2018

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Um..,. slightly dodgy maths there. INE, but to me:

At a birth rate of 1.7 per female, each generation is replacing 85% of itself. Assuming that each generation is a 25 year interval, and survives for 75 years - you are a long way from halving the population in 50 years.

The replacement rate in 50 years would be 85% x 2 generations = 72%, and that's without the delayed effect of previous generations dying.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Yeah, you're right.

I made the assumption that the average breeding age is 20, but that's pretty low, turns out it's around 24 for a first child. Let's make it 25 for QuickMath

And Japan has really tight immigration laws. Japan might simply cease to exist over the next century unless something changes.

However, birthrates can go up as well as down.
  • Options

May appears to have intimated that if her deal is rejected by Parliament then we leave with no deal.

It took the presenter about 8 goes to get an answer from her.

If that is what she is saying, she has been grossly negligent in failing to prepare for no deal. If she wants Corbyn to be her successor, she is going the right way about it.
  • Options

matt said:

I'm not sure you understand his political philosophy at all. The entire point is that the system concentrates wealth into a tiny elite which is certainly much, much smaller than the top 5%- and that's not even starting on the difference between income and wealth (which is far less equally distributed). Focusing on a small percentage rather than taxing the 20% to benefit the 80% isn't a compromise to electability, it's a central feature of his politics.

Whether any of this is realistic or achievable is, of course, an entirely different question.
    I don't think wealth is that highly concentrated. Yes, the top 1% are very rich, but the median household has net wealth of £278,000.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Yeah, you're right.

The people of Japan should be applauded for this. If Japan became devoid of humans, this would be a good thing. Hopefully the rest of the world will follow.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    May refuses to say whether she'll resign if deal gets voted down in Parliament.

I wonder if that implies she will resign.
This discussion has been closed.