Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The deal splits the Tories whilst a referendum would split LAB

Comments

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nobody here has read the deal. Anyone who claims they have is a liar.

Even if I were minded to, I'm not an international trade lawyer, I'm not even qualified to read the pre-amble.

I've read it.

Just saying.
    Why would you do that (horrible animation removed)
    Because I wanted to see what was in it for myself.

Not that hard, really.

And it wasn't that hard to read either. Much less opaque than most of the stuff I read for my doctorate.
    I don't think I could. My ADHD brain would rebel before I got two pages into that mountain of Eurocrat bullshytte.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited November 2018

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even if I were minded to, I'm not an international trade lawyer, I'm not even qualified to read the pre-amble.

I've read it.

Just saying.

Not that hard, really.

And it wasn't that hard to read either. Much less opaque than most of the stuff I read for my doctorate.
    I don't think I could. My ADHD brain would rebel before I got two pages into that mountain of Eurocrat bullshytte.
    Well, fine. But then may I gently make two further suggestions:

1) Don't make dogmatic pronouncements on the basis of what I have to say has been spectacularly awful media reporting;

2) Don't accuse anyone who has read it of lying just becuase you don't think you could do it yourself.

I have a concert to sing in. Have a good evening.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    The "have you read the entire deal?" argument is so vacuous and lazy it's almost like giving up. I'm still baffled by why people think you have to have read the whole thing to oppose the deal, but nothing more than a vague sense that May tried her darnedest is required to support it.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    The Kennedy assassination has had me contemplating the passage of time. Find it difficult to accept that November 1963 is just as close to November 1908 as to the present day! I am firmly of the view that life changed a great deal more in that earlier 55 year period.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

Yesterday was 55th anniversary of JFK assassination.Just been watching a 45 minute History Channel programme on Youtube - made in 2003 - which points the finger very firmly at LBJ.

55 years! Feels like yesterday. Everyone who was around at the time knows exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.
    Indeed so. I remember the news being announced on the BBC Tonight programme at about 7.30 that Friday evening by an unknown announcer standing in for his senior colleagues who were attending a reception elsewhere.
    Yes, I was watching Take Your Pick with Michael Miles on ITV.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I've read it.

Just saying.

Not that hard, really.

Well, fine. But then may I gently make two further suggestions:

1) Don't make dogmatic pronouncements on the basis of what I have to say has been spectacularly awful media reporting;

2) Don't accuse anyone who has read it of lying just becuase you don't think you could do it yourself.

I have a concert to sing in. Have a good evening.
    You're right. I've been a fool. Yours and only your interpretation is the Absolute Truth.

I'm amazed I never saw it before.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,143
    justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

Yesterday was 55th anniversary of JFK assassination.Just been watching a 45 minute History Channel programme on Youtube - made in 2003 - which points the finger very firmly at LBJ.

55 years! Feels like yesterday. Everyone who was around at the time knows exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.
    Indeed so. I remember the news being announced on the BBC Tonight programme at about 7.30 that Friday evening by an unknown announcer standing in for his senior colleagues who were attending a reception elsewhere.
    I was at a theatre somewhere in the middle stalls when I noticed the hall progressively emptying from the rear as the news filtered forward. Not a nice experience for the actors on stage!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    JohnO said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

justin124 said:

Yes, I was watching Take Your Pick with Michael Miles on ITV.
    Both networks went off the air for an hour or so. The BBC was criticised for eventually returning to its schedule with the Harry Worth comedy.Later in the evening George Brown appeared in a very drunken state.
  • Options
    DUP announce that the confidence and supply agreement will cease to apply if May brings the withdrawal agreement to a vote.

• Options
    Imagine if Trump had his head popped by a sniper.

The BBC would be running 24/7 footage of the street parties across the world.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

May's going on a charm offensive, completely unarmed.

Very courageous.

If a PM with no charm is going on a charm offensive, she'd be better spending her time at the Large Hadron Collider......

Maybe she's just strange?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    edited November 2018

DUP announce that the confidence and supply agreement will cease to apply if May brings the withdrawal agreement to a vote.

They don't fuck about do they :). Do you have a link to that, I mean I know its been very much implied to now but...
  • Options
    The funny thing is that the hated backstop is pretty much Norway/EEA but with better access and no fees!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They don't fuck about do they :)
    Amongst May's many enormous political miscalculations, her belief that the DUP were bluffing is one of the most infinitely baffling.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

You don't need to read something to know it's bad, BTW. I've not read Mein Kampf, L. Ron Hubbard or the UKIP manifesto but that doesn't mean I can't state with absolute certainty that they are BAD.

What a load of tosh.

Several here have read the deal and understood it.

Don't mistake your own inadequacies with others'.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

The funny thing is that the hated backstop is pretty much Norway/EEA but with better access and no fees!

The backstop is pretty damned good, particularly for Northern Ireland. The French and Danish will want us out pronto for the fishing access.
  • Options
    TBF, it doesn't really matter if anyone's read it or not. What it actually says is rather secondary to whether or not Parliament trusts the messenger.

And that's why the deal is screwed.
  • Options

Very courageous.

If a PM with no charm is going on a charm offensive, she'd be better spending her time at the Large Hadron Collider......

I thought she did well on the 5Live phone today.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Pulpstar said:

The backstop is pretty damned good, particularly for Northern Ireland. The French and Danish will want us out pronto for the fishing access.
    Agreed.

I wish, wish, wish a cabinet minister would stand up and say this.

It might be the difference between a deal and no deal.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited November 2018
    Pulpstar said:

They don't fuck about do they :). Do you have a link to that, I mean I know its been very much implied to now but...
    The DUP in my opinion are more ruthless than the Tories.

I seem to remember that certainly in the past they had non - defection agreements they had to sign before becoming MPs. The agreements specified that they would forfeit their seat if they defect and have to pay tens of thousands of pounds as well.

Pity the DUP were not the Brexit negotiators as they have a track record of getting what they want! Not that I am a fan.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

You don't need to read something to know it's bad, BTW. I've not read Mein Kampf, L. Ron Hubbard or the UKIP manifesto but that doesn't mean I can't state with absolute certainty that they are BAD.

What a load of tosh.

I've read enough to basically work out it is "no change except we lose our MEPs". If anyone thinks there's a section that's particularly bad for us (From either the leave or remain side) then I'm all ears.
    There's reams on technical stuff, and actually it is (when you think of the entirity of the relationship) actually quite a barebones document. Any FTA will be MUCH MUCH weightier.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Amongst May's many enormous political miscalculations, her belief that the DUP were bluffing is one of the most infinitely baffling.
    I guess because she spends all her time bluffing, she assumes everyone else does too?
  • Options

Very courageous.

She emits a strange charm.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/JohnJMcGivern/status/1066034085313814529
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

So passed, rather, than brought to a vote.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Isn't it a bit late if it is passed for them ?

I think that tells us all we need to know about how BAD this deal isn't for N Ireland. If it was really horrendous then they would be pulling the plug before the vote was passed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

What a load of tosh.

I've read enough to basically work out it is "no change except we lose our MEPs". If anyone thinks there's a section that's particularly bad for us (From either the leave or remain side) then I'm all ears.
    There's reams on technical stuff, and actually it is (when you think of the entirity of the relationship) actually quite a barebones document. Any FTA will be MUCH MUCH weightier.
    I'm similarly impressed. I read it on the night of publication.

It isn't as bad as most people say. I was quite impressed how many concessions and clever little caveats (that would really stymie a Corbyn govt) are included.
  • Options

So no rational person should prefer Norway to May, deal-wise, I suppose.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Can anyone say 'empty threat'?

Sounds to me that they want the deal passed without their tacit support.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

It would be weird to NC her when they still have a chance to stop her.

Funny old world. The DUP are offering her a choice between her deal and her majority.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Funny old world. The DUP are offering her a choice between her deal and her majority.
    May's taking the deal all day long, it's her legacy. Hunt or Boris can deal with the fallout.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

Very courageous.

Admit it, all these insults you throw at her are just to cover for the fact she gives you a hadron ...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Strange that didn't occur to you beforehand.

Might be advisable to slow down your posting rate and improve the quality of output...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Harder for Labour to support it now, I would have thought.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Listen to what she's saying to Tory MPs: if you back May, we'll give you Corbyn.

Now, regardless of whether she's bluffing or not (and frankly bluffing isn't her style), this message is laser-targeted to put the fear of god into Tories.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I guess because she spends all her time bluffing, she assumes everyone else does too?
    'Brexit means Brexit'
    'No deal is better than a bad deal'
    'No early General Election'
    'No Prime Minister could agree ...'

May does have a rather unfortunate relationship with the truth.
  • Options
    The DUP's threat gives Labour a massive incentive to make sure the deal passes now.

CORBS - YOU'LL HAVE YOUR ELECTION
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Err why - if the deal is PASSED the DUP pull the plug on the Tories. That gives Corbyn his beloved election !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Err why - if the deal is PASSED the DUP pull the plug on the Tories. That gives Corbyn his beloved election !
    Yes, sorry I wasn't thinking. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Pulpstar said:

The DUP's threat gives Labour a massive incentive to make sure the deal passes now.

Incidentally, I think the make up of Parliament at the moment makes a relatively stable minority Govt more likely.

How many MPs have resigned from the Labour party? How many Labour MPs would happily have a dentist appointment to prevent a GE where a) they could possibly lose their seat or b) they could see the hard left elected. 5-10, I'd say.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Listen to what she's saying to Tory MPs: if you back May, we'll give you Corbyn.

Now, regardless of whether she's bluffing or not (and frankly bluffing isn't her style), this message is laser-targeted to put the fear of god into Tories.
    No as if the Deal is to pass it will be without DUP support and in any case Yougov this week gave the Tories a 3% lead over Labour
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Heh - Doubt Corbyn will realise this latest bit of gameplaying though. But others in Labour might...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

True, but Labour won't take that risk. You can't just support the deal and trust the DUP will keep their word.

But it's certainly something for Tory MPs voting for this deal to keep in mind. You're not just voting for a bad deal that you don't want to save May's wretched skin.

No, indeed, you're also voting for a Corbyn government.

• Options
    Over the channel the jaune gilet protests mean that macron will have little time to spend on any changes to the agreement. It is basically pass TM plan or another vote.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

'Brexit means Brexit'

To which you can add today's row-back from "My-deal or No-deal or No-Bexit" to "My deal or No-deal".
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Incidentally, I think the make up of Parliament at the moment makes a relatively stable minority Govt more likely.

How many MPs have resigned from the Labour party? How many Labour MPs would happily have a dentist appointment to prevent a GE where a) they could possibly lose their seat or b) they could see the hard left elected. 5-10, I'd say.
    If the DUP votes against I think the confidence motion passes. Obviously the DUP won't support Corbyn, so GE.

Confidence motions are a big thing, I can't see any Labour abstentions - everyone from Hoey, through Flint right up to the Chukas will vote no confidence in the Tories. Even O'Mara
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    @DavidL - some Brexiteers have changed their minds, and think we should remain. They do not have the courage to admit this publicly, so they will vote against the deal claiming that it is an insufficiently hard Brexit.

I am utterly convinced.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

The key thing from the Ashcroft poll today is that equal numbers of Tory and Labour voters prefer May's Deal to No Deal 35% and 34% of voters overall. 35% of Tory voters prefer No Deal to May's Deal and 24% of Labour voters prefer No Deal to May's Deal and 27% of voters overall.

So while most Tory voters tend to back Leave still and oppose EUref2 and most Labour voters tend to back Remain and back EUref2 both parties voters are divided on whether they back the Deal or No Deal but because more Labour voters back the Deal than Tory voters back No Deal the Deal leads No Deal overall

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/

The key message from that, other than the fact that Lord Ashcroft's polls don't have a stellar record, is that the country is confused and hasn't settled upon any outcome.
    They have settled against one outcome in particular though, May's deal. Almost everyone seems to think it's worse than the alternatives.
    Wrong, they have settled against one outcome in particular, No Deal. As the polling shows both May's Deal and Remain are preferred to that
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Heh - Doubt Corbyn will realise this latest bit of gameplaying though. But others in Labour might...
    Labour would have to be mad to bite on that. They'd first have to trust the DUP, then trust that May wouldn't go with a minority government or an agreement with another party, then trust that the voters wouldn't punish them for their U-turn and support of the hugely unpopular deal
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

If the DUP votes against I think the confidence motion passes. Obviously the DUP won't support Corbyn, so GE.

Confidence motions are a big thing, I can't see any Labour abstentions - everyone from Hoey, through Flint right up to the Chukas will vote no confidence in the Tories. Even O'Mara
    If Corbyn can't get a confidence motion through the house, who would the Palace ask next?

Presumably they'll get on the blowers to the Men in Gray Suits in Blue Towers and Red Towers to see if confidence can be obtained by working, uh, *around* the current leaders?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Labour would have to be mad to bite on that. They'd first have to trust the DUP, then trust that May wouldn't go with a minority government or an agreement with another party, then trust that the voters wouldn't punish them for their U-turn and support of the hugely unpopular deal
    Indeed, how many Labour ultra remainers would vote against the deal anyway?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

It's be a big gamble. Although any potential rebels might be more tempted if they truly think the deal is ok and also want a GE. Not many look up for rebelling though

Pulpstar said:

'Brexit means Brexit'

To be fair 'brexit means brexit' didn't mean anything anyway so it's not true or untrue just nonsense.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

True, but Labour won't take that risk. You can't just support the deal and trust the DUP will keep their word.

But it's certainly something for Tory MPs voting for this deal to keep in mind. You're not just voting for a bad deal that you don't want to save May's wretched skin.

No, indeed, you're also voting for a Corbyn government.

The Tories lead with Yougov this week even with UKIP on 6%, if they want a Corbyn government crash out No Deal Brexit and economic crash will guarantee that while Remain would boost UKIP or the far right even further
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

OK crash out Brexit it is.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't shoot the messenger.
  • Options
    In order for Labour to support the deal in order to trigger the DUP into bringing down the government would be almost insanely risky.

For one thing, Labour would have zero leverage to actually make the DUP go through with their threat.

You'd be making the biggest political gamble of your career, and placing your fate in the hands of your political enemies.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

That or remain. Or dozens of labour and Tory mps are willing to eat humble pie and change stance.
  • Options
    Just pause for a second.

Why on Earth is the DUP's threat not as originally reported, i.e. if May puts it to a vote? That would make 10x as much sense as if it is passed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

That or remain. Or dozens of labour and Tory mps are willing to eat humble pie and change stance.
    You know, one day, in the next few weeks, we'll wake up to hear on the news that Jeremy Corbyn is remain. Jeremy Corbyn has always been remain.

Anyone counter-revolutionary enough to suggest Corbyn hasn't always been an arch-enthusiast of the EU will be tried by a Momentum Troika and made an unperson.
  • Options

Just pause for a second.

Why on Earth is the DUP's threat not as originally reported, i.e. if May puts it to a vote? That would make 10x as much sense as if it is passed.

i) They don't think it'll pass
    ii) It puts pressure on Tories to block the deal
    iii) The pressure on Labour to pass the deal isn't as intense (If you follow the refutations to my argument that it is)
    iv) They don't want to bring about Corbyn, so as originally reported would probably be a bluff.
  • Options
    timpletimple Posts: 118
    Labour's position could well have cost it. What would they be polling at now if they had opposed Brexit competently?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

@DavidL - some Brexiteers have changed their minds, and think we should remain. They do not have the courage to admit this publicly, so they will vote against the deal claiming that it is an insufficiently hard Brexit.

I am utterly convinced.

If you want to go down that route, then Raab's your man in the leadership contest.
  • Options

Just pause for a second.

No, I don't think so. They don't actually want to bring down the government. They want to stop the WA, and replace May with a Brexiteer with whom they can continue their comfy little C&S love in for a few more years.

Consider the threat to take away May's majority a kind of... backstop.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

You know, one day, in the next few weeks, we'll wake up to hear on the news that Jeremy Corbyn is remain. Jeremy Corbyn has always been remain.

Anyone counter-revolutionary enough to suggest Corbyn hasn't always been an arch-enthusiast of the EU will be tried by a Momentum Troika and made an unperson.
    People will believe it. Others will be so ecstatic they won't care he's made noises to the contrary. He's come a long way since he became leader.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2018
    Met Police scooter crash video released as IOPC investigates

However, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said it is investigating three cases involving "tactical contact" by Met police cars on scooters.

According to the IOPC, one of the cases being investigated involved a 17-year-old boy who suffered head injuries a year ago in Bexley.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-46321720
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    geoffw said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

notme said:

notme said:

Can we not just have sodding membership of efta, must of this drama would disappear. The Eu cannot be relied on to hold to any agreement of understanding for future trading deal.

EFTA doesn’t respect the referendum result which voted to end free movement.

Grr.. there was no option for that. Leave or remain. EFTAis leave. Modify our welfare state so it’s less atttractive and let’s get on with it.
    Apply the controls on free movement that we currently have but do not use for some reason that would make the welfare state pull a non-factor
    The proportion of EU migrants who claim non-working benefits is very small. It's just a Daily Mail scare story under the old editor. Most are working; yes, they get tax credits, as do Brits in low paid jobs. Taking them away won't be popular.
    Got some data on that have you?
    EU migrants comprise about 6% of the working age population, but the proportion of working age benefit claimants who are EU migrants is around 2%. So a significantly lower proportion. The proportion of families containing at least one EU migrant of those receiving tax credits is around 7%. Given that some of these will be mixed UK-EU families, the tax credit ratio isn't significantly out of line with the UK average.
    Interesting. What's your source?
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/475765/uk-benefits-and-tax-credits-eea-migrants.pdf

The situation was getting very expensive for the Govt so they introduced a toughening up of the rules mainly Habitual Residence Test. This resulted in the numbers coming down.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/548225/analysis-of-eea-migrants-access-to-income-related-benefits-measures.pdf
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

It's also just factually wrong.

The ability to pass a deal is a separate failure, related to thefailure to secure a good one. But they are not the same thing and it is just not true to say they are.

Yes this is assuming the EU side agree so there is something for parliament to consider.

No

A deal that has not passed, or will not pass, is not a deal. An unsigned contract is not a deal.

They have not secured a deal, however you try and spin it.
    Belatedly, there is a long list of people who have lost in court after following their belief that an unsigned contract does not bind. Signature is not one of the tests for simple contracts.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    justin124 said:

Factually dubious JFK programmes make a change from factually dubious Nazi programmes which are the History Channel’s stock in trade.
  • Options

Just pause for a second.

No, I don't think so. They don't actually want to bring down the government. They want to stop the WA, and replace May with a Brexiteer with whom they can continue their comfy little C&S love in for a few more years.

Except well over 200 Tory MPs back May's Deal and indeed with Yougov this week the Tories have a clear lead.

The DUP can sod off. To be frank I would rather the pathetic Corbyn as PM without a majority finding Merkel and Barnier force him to sign either the same Deal or even more concessions than giving in to DUP blackmail
  • Options
    matt said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

It's also just factually wrong.

The ability to pass a deal is a separate failure, related to thefailure to secure a good one. But they are not the same thing and it is just not true to say they are.

Yes this is assuming the EU side agree so there is something for parliament to consider.

No

A deal that has not passed, or will not pass, is not a deal. An unsigned contract is not a deal.

They have not secured a deal, however you try and spin it.
    Belatedly, there is a long list of people who have lost in court after following their belief that an unsigned contract does not bind. Signature is not one of the tests for simple contracts.
    There are many, many different kinds of acceptance in common law, and which one(s) apply depend entirely on the nature of the invitation to treat.

In international law, a treaty isn't worth the paper it's written on unless it's (1) negotiated, (2) signed, (3) ratified, (4) enacted and (5) enforced.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    matt said:

Who exactly is bound by the current text?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Just pause for a second.

Except well over 200 Tory MPs back May's Deal and indeed with Yougov this week the Tories have a clear lead.

The DUP can sod off. To be frank I would rather the pathetic Corbyn as PM without a majority finding Merkel and Barnier force him to sign either the same Deal or even more concessions than giving in to DUP blackmail
    May's deal had a snowball's chance in hell even before the DUP dangled the existential threat of Prime Minister Corbyn in front of the Tories.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

I am utterly convinced.

I think there’s a little bit of that, but not much.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Just pause for a second.

May's deal had a snowball's chance in hell even before the DUP dangled the existential threat of Prime Minister Corbyn in front of the Tories.
    That’s quite a post to save for the immediate moments after May gets her deal passed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Just pause for a second.

It's fortunate then that 200 Tory MPs is a majority of the Commons isn't it?

Err ...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,966
    matt said:

justin124 said:

Factually dubious JFK programmes make a change from factually dubious Nazi programmes which are the History Channel’s stock in trade.
    I really, really do not believe that LBJ was behind the assassination of JFK.
    Like everyone else who was around at the time I remember where I was. I'd not .long got home form work and my wife had just finished putting the childen to bed, although youngest (at the time) woke up again about 10.

Back in the 90's I went round the LBJ ranch, now a museum. Everyone there had a very high opinion of him. (I suppose they would, wouldn't they!)
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

I am utterly convinced.

I think so too, and May knows it which is why she's ruling out a referendum. She wants to inflict maximum pain on them and force them to come out and say it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Just pause for a second.

Even if it does not pass the first vote it has a good chance of passing on the second once the markets crash.

However the fact the Tory vote is holding up shows regardless we should have no fear of a general election rather than giving in to the DUP and the economic devastation of a No Deal Brexit and the potential breakup of the UK with Scotland voting for independence and the clueless DUP finding Northern Ireland prefers Irish unity to a hard border in Ireland.

Indeed if Corbyn scrapes in to No 10 so what, he can then deal with the mess he has caused
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

If it threatened to put Corbyn in power, I’m not sure they would actually.

Some Labour MPs would be “washing their hair”.

There are also a few independents who wouldn’t necessarily play ball. Woodcock, Field and Hopkins.

The vote would need to be 323 MPs against so with all the Tories (317) voting against plus the speaker that could make all the difference, even without the Speaker.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

Just pause for a second.

Err ...
    It is a comfortable majority of the Tory Parliamentary Party behind May
  • Options
    I listened to a piece on r5Live the other evening about May'[s thinking on Brexit. Remarkably enough I recognised a thought process (And priorities) on the whole EU very close to my own.

If this is the case, then I suspect in her subconcsious she actually wanted the Brexit vote to succeed even though she'd voted against it herself, as it probably lurks in mine ^_~
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Just pause for a second.

Err ...
    Good enough for an opposition, not a government.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

People will believe it. Others will be so ecstatic they won't care he's made noises to the contrary. He's come a long way since he became leader.
    He's come a long way in presentation. He might even have mastered the tie by now.

Corbyn doesn't care about being in or out of the EU. His programme of state control usurps that. He's mildly leave, but only because it lessens the chance of anyone saying 'you can't nationalise air'. If he becomes PM he'll move fast - sufficiently so that it'll be tricky to stop. The results don't matter - its just a revolution in sheep's clothing, but now we'll get a tie too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Just pause for a second.

Err ...
    I still expect a hardcore of 30-40 Tory MPs to vote against it on the day, plus the DUP.

The other 50 will find reasons to support it over the next few weeks.

May will need to lever c.25 Labour MPs to pass it, and a few independents.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    What's the process for a VoNC on the government being called?
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

I am utterly convinced.

I think so too, and May knows it which is why she's ruling out a referendum. She wants to inflict maximum pain on them and force them to come out and say it.
    I think you’re worried Brexit has now really got legs.
  • Options
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578
    I see the Swiss are having another important referendum. Now thats what I call democracy...

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1066047507925557248?s=19
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    HYUFD said:

Just pause for a second.

With Yougov the public also opposes the deal.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1066049396373184513
  • Options
    TM will not be blackmailed by the DUP

If they bring the government down GE it is, no one billion for them and no influence post GE

• Options
    Foxy said:

I see the Swiss are having another important referendum. Now thats what I call democracy...

They seem to have a referendum every other week in Switzerland.
  • Options

TM will not be blackmailed by the DUP

If they bring the government down GE it is, no one billion for them and no influence post GE

They might have some influence post GE, the general Labour/Tory numbers are very tight still.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938

Well yes, that's one of the two reasons why the EU is going to be as desparate as us to get rid of it.

I predict that the only people that will want the backstop to continue will be the people of Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,778
    Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

Barnesian said:

notme said:

Can we not just have sodding membership of efta, must of this drama would disappear. The Eu cannot be relied on to hold to any agreement of understanding for future trading deal.

EFTA doesn’t respect the referendum result which voted to end free movement.
    The referendum result doesn't deserve respect. It was based on widespread ignorance and corrupt practices. Why respect it?
    Contempt for democracy is such an ugly look.
    I take it you are in favour of an informed referendum on the actual deal. That's democracy in action, - not the perverse imitation of 23 June 2016.
    No. You need to enact a decision before you ask people again.

When we’ve left, I have no objection to a rejoin referendum in, say, 45 years time.
    Where does this "principle" that "you need to enact a decision before you ask people again" come from? It seems to have been conjured up out of nowhere.

In real life, in business or personally, one often makes a joint decision (to acquire a company or buy a house) but as more information emerges, and before you enact the decision, you change your mind.

"I know we agreed to acquire this company but having looked at the books it's crap. Oh we've got to buy it first before we can change our mind."

"Look dear - I know we agreed to buy this house but the survey is awful. Oh we've got to buy it first before we can change our mind."
    Poltics is not marriage or business.

You disagree with the decision. Fine. But you lost. Acceptance of that is the grown up thing to do.

You haven't answered the question Where does this "principle" that "you need to enact a decision before you ask people again" come from?
    Yes.

Consider someone with constant back pain who sees a surgeon to consider their options. The surgeon says major surgery might help but it's far from certain. The patient, after considering the pros and cons of surgery, decides in favour of surgery. However, just before the scheduled operation date, evidence emerges that the surgery is much less certain to help the patient and in fact is quite likely to make things worse.

What should the surgeon do? Just crack on with the operation. Or ask the patient, in light of the new information, to reconsider and confirm their decision?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578

Foxy said:

They seem to have a referendum every other week in Switzerland.
    Perhap it is time for another one here too :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well yes, that's one of the two reasons why the EU is going to be as desparate as us to get rid of it.

I predict that the only people that will want the backstop to continue will be the people of Northern Ireland.
    What do you think about the position of financial services under the backstop?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

And "revisit" is a long way away from "bring down the government" and risk a Jeremy Corbyn premiership.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Just pause for a second.

That’s quite a post to save for the immediate moments after May gets her deal passed
    I think grabcoque need have little fear then.
This discussion has been closed.