Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A second referendum is a dangerous distraction to the real act

Comments

• Options

All options look implausible from here. One has to occur.

Trying to renegotiate looks more of a timewasting distraction to me than a second referendum. A second referendum, however, should not include a Deal option. Either Parliament blesses the deal or it is discarded. The public should not be expected to opine on 500 page documents but on concepts.

That's how we got into this mess in the first place. It's also an unsustainable basis for a vote to put the same question again. The question of concepts was decided in 2016. Now is the time to decide on details. Either parliament does that or the people do. If, as you say (and you're right) that the public should not be expected to opine on 600+ pages of text, then that implies that it's parliament's job to sort it out.

And here's the point: even if there is a referendum on 'concepts', it would *still* be parliament's job to agree the details - so unless you're trying overturn the previous result before it could be enacted, what's the point?
    I see no case for a referendum if there is a deal. But that presently looks unlikely.

The previous result gave no mandate for no deal Brexit. No one suggested that would happen. There is no previous result to overturn if the deal is rejected. The choice that everyone thought they were making turned out to be unavailable. Time for an update.

To be clear, I think I would abstain in such a referendum. For me this is not about a reversal but about the country choosing between two highly unappetising options given where we now are. Proceeding without a mandate to a no deal Brexit supported actively by just a third of the population would be a recipe for a political tornado.
    There is going to be a political tornado whatever happens.
    Yes. I assess a fresh referendum to be the least damaging of the options. But I’m under no illusion that it’s a good option. It has long been my view that the Brexit vote as secured is a complete disaster.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,969
    Just been out for the last couple of hours. What the f*** happened in the cricket?
  • Options

Nope, the decision on staying or going was already taken in 2016. The only legitimate vote would be on whether we accept or reject the deal with the alternative being No Deal. Reopening the question of Remaining has no legitimacy.

We're a democracy. Any vote based on choosing between deliverable alternatives is legitimate. You're free to abstain.
    Nope. Asking the same question again before the result of the first vote is enacted is illegitimate. It is a basic assault on democracy. Unless of course you are from the Barnesian camp which sees democracy as an unnecessary evil.
    Referendums have had no place in our democratic traditions and it's offensive to seek to impose dubious rules about their legitimacy.
    Referendums now have a strong established place in our democratic traditions - at least on basic constitutional matters. And that is absolutely right. So it is only right that we do impose some basic rules about how they are conducted and enacted. There have been 12 referendums on constitutional issues since 1973 and dozens if not hundreds at local levels dating right back to before WW1. Under certain circumstances like increasing local taxation above a level set by central Government they are mandatory.

You may not like them but trying to claim they have no place in our democratic tradition just shows your ignorance.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    edited November 2018
    dixiedean said:

For my 2,500th post can I query the process that allows HMG to publicly hand out gongs in exchange for votes? In what way is this remotely allowable by convention?

Agreed. It is a ridiculous situation. I am in favour of gongs/awards etc for service to the country in many different forms but it should be entirely independent of Government or even Parliament.
    Yet another issue which Brexit could provide an opportunity to address as part of a "National reboot."
    And yet another which Brexit supporters rarely, if ever, raise.
    Agreed unfortunately
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Trying to renegotiate looks more of a timewasting distraction to me than a second referendum. A second referendum, however, should not include a Deal option. Either Parliament blesses the deal or it is discarded. The public should not be expected to opine on 500 page documents but on concepts.

That's how we got into this mess in the first place. It's also an unsustainable basis for a vote to put the same question again. The question of concepts was decided in 2016. Now is the time to decide on details. Either parliament does that or the people do. If, as you say (and you're right) that the public should not be expected to opine on 600+ pages of text, then that implies that it's parliament's job to sort it out.

And here's the point: even if there is a referendum on 'concepts', it would *still* be parliament's job to agree the details - so unless you're trying overturn the previous result before it could be enacted, what's the point?
    I see no case for a referendum if there is a deal. But that presently looks unlikely.

The previous result gave no mandate for no deal Brexit. No one suggested that would happen. There is no previous result to overturn if the deal is rejected. The choice that everyone thought they were making turned out to be unavailable. Time for an update.

To be clear, I think I would abstain in such a referendum. For me this is not about a reversal but about the country choosing between two highly unappetising options given where we now are. Proceeding without a mandate to a no deal Brexit supported actively by just a third of the population would be a recipe for a political tornado.
    Some good may come of it. If the two centrist wings of the duopoly came together to override the extremes that might not be a bad thing.
  • Options
    F1: been AFK for a bit. Working on the pre-qualifying tosh.

Bemused by Raikkonen's long odds. He was 2nd quickest in third practice but remains 17 for pole. Hmm.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Yes. I assess a fresh referendum to be the least damaging of the options. But I’m under no illusion that it’s a good option. It has long been my view that the Brexit vote as secured is a complete disaster.
    How do you justify advocating a 'no deal' referendum then? It's even more reckless than Cameron's original gambit. However slim the possibility, just imagine the repercussions from a majority vote that could be interpreted as a mandate for going on a war footing.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Barnesian said:

I just saw Barnesian's comment that "They need a new leader."

My first assumption was they meant the Tories. Or maybe Labour.

Then I clicked to expand the quotes, turns out it's the LDs.

The world we live in, eh.

I'm a Corbynista now (except for Corbyn's position on the EU). But my mission locally is to defeat Zac and the Tories and the only way is through the LibDems. For that the LibDems need a new leader.

Actually I suspect the LibDems can defeat Zac anyway. Maybe I should help in a Tory/Labour marginal when the GE comes.
    Used to be quite a few round your way. Not anymore. Bit of a trek, but Uxbridge would be my suggestion.

There's Putney, of course, but Justine is quite sound on Brexit these days.
  • Options

Nope, the decision on staying or going was already taken in 2016. The only legitimate vote would be on whether we accept or reject the deal with the alternative being No Deal. Reopening the question of Remaining has no legitimacy.

We're a democracy. Any vote based on choosing between deliverable alternatives is legitimate. You're free to abstain.
    Nope. Asking the same question again before the result of the first vote is enacted is illegitimate. It is a basic assault on democracy. Unless of course you are from the Barnesian camp which sees democracy as an unnecessary evil.
    Referendums have had no place in our democratic traditions and it's offensive to seek to impose dubious rules about their legitimacy.
    Referendums have had a place in Britain's democracy for nearly fifty years now. I'd say that was something of a convention. In particular, they've been used regularly since 1997 - itself more than 20 years ago now - under governments involving all three established parties and have never been seriously challenged as a legitimate form of deciding first-order issues. Indeed, going back to the Maastricht debates, and certain other EU treary ratifications since, the *denial* of a referendum caused more fuss than the granting of other ones. No-one seriously suggested that the right way to determine the question of Scottish independence was through a vote in Holyrood, and nor do they now. Referendums are now a part of Britain's constitution; live with it.
    "The *denial* of a referendum caused more fuss than the granting of other ones."

What does that tell you about the present situation? Referendums are now a part of Britain's constitution; live with it. People will not tolerate having a Brexit deal imposed without a people's vote.
    They have had a vote. What you want is to have them keep voting again and again until they give you the answer you want. A typical EU trick we have seen plenty of times before.
  • Options

Referendums have had a place in Britain's democracy for nearly fifty years now. I'd say that was something of a convention. In particular, they've been used regularly since 1997 - itself more than 20 years ago now - under governments involving all three established parties and have never been seriously challenged as a legitimate form of deciding first-order issues. Indeed, going back to the Maastricht debates, and certain other EU treary ratifications since, the *denial* of a referendum caused more fuss than the granting of other ones. No-one seriously suggested that the right way to determine the question of Scottish independence was through a vote in Holyrood, and nor do they now. Referendums are now a part of Britain's constitution; live with it.
    "The *denial* of a referendum caused more fuss than the granting of other ones."

What does that tell you about the present situation? Referendums are now a part of Britain's constitution; live with it. People will not tolerate having a Brexit deal imposed without a people's vote.
    They have had a vote. What you want is to have them keep voting again and again until they give you the answer you want. A typical EU trick we have seen plenty of times before.
    There has never been a campaign for a referendum with as much support as the people's vote movement. Like it or not you have to deal with reality.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

The lesser of two evils, Corbyn is a bumbling deluded fool, May is pure evil.

He is bumbling, and deluded, and a fool.

But he's also an unabashed supporter of and at times paid apologist for Russia, Venezuela, Iran, Hamas, the IRA and John McDonnell.

It is possible he's evil as well.
    Ydoethur , May's pals make that lot look like pussy cats.
    Without wishing to be an apologist for the House of Saud -

That remark is simply wrong.
    The Tories have been chums with the nastiest of the nasty throughout the years , they are no better than Corbyn, just nastier.
    Thatcher sent British forces to train the Khmer Rouge!
    Exactly , but the morons on here think they are whiter than white.
    Some six or seven years ago, when I was in that unfortunate country, her doing so was held against us.
  • Options
    Betting Post

F1: pre-qualifying will be up shortly, but I've decided to tip Raikkonen each way for pole, at 17 (third the odds top 2), with a hedge at 3.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

However slim the possibility, just imagine the repercussions from a majority vote that could be interpreted as a mandate for going on a war footing.

Oh FFS......

Are you in charge of the EUs hyperbole mountain?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

you should have added "supposed" in front of democracy there
    Whose lawn are you planning on parking your tiger tank on Mr G?
    LOL, Just getting prepared, going to be a few torrid years ahead.
    PS: it is TIKI and I bought a custom painted RC model of this particular tank for my grandson, really smart model.
    I bet. I'm a STUG III or T-34 man myself.
  • Options

There has never been a campaign for a referendum with as much support as the people's vote movement. Like it or not you have to deal with reality.
    I am dealing with reality. The reality is that you want to overturn a democratic decision before it has even been enacted. That is a sure fire way to destroy people's faith in the democratic system and once you do that they will look for alternative means to achieve their ends. That is what you are advocating.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

I'm a Corbynista now (except for Corbyn's position on the EU). But my mission locally is to defeat Zac and the Tories and the only way is through the LibDems. For that the LibDems need a new leader.

Actually I suspect the LibDems can defeat Zac anyway. Maybe I should help in a Tory/Labour marginal when the GE comes.
    Used to be quite a few round your way. Not anymore. Bit of a trek, but Uxbridge would be my suggestion.

Any chance of United Remain in Uxbridge S? I’d love to see Johnson lose.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

all three established parties and have never been seriously challenged as a legitimate form of deciding first-order issues. Indeed, going back to the Maastricht debates, and certain other EU treary ratifications since, the *denial* of a referendum caused more fuss than the granting of other ones. No-one seriously suggested that the right way to determine the question of Scottish independence was through a vote in Holyrood, and nor do they now. Referendums are now a part of Britain's constitution; live with it.

I am dealing with reality. The reality is that you want to overturn a democratic decision before it has even been enacted. That is a sure fire way to destroy people's faith in the democratic system and once you do that they will look for alternative means to achieve their ends. That is what you are advocating.
    That’s not true. It is perfectly reasonable and democratic to confirm a decision in the light of new information.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Any chance of United Remain in Uxbridge S? I’d love to see Johnson lose.
    Whatever else happens that night, that would be the moment for uncorking the krug!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

at what point does the case for a referendum on Northern Ireland's status become hard to challenge? If Catholics outnumber Protestants at the 2021 census is that the trigger?

Or will it be driven by a succession of opinion polls saying there is a majority in favour?

I don't know. But a referendum is an obligation under the GFA when there is a possibility it could win. We aren't there quite yet.
  • Options

"Their ends" being to intimidate people into supporting their project because they couldn't convince them at the ballot box?
  • Options
    Are we heading to EFTA?

"All futures are possible. But when politics seems stuck, it is wise to look for where momentum is building."

https://www.ft.com/content/1c490256-eda6-11e8-89c8-d36339d835c0
  • Options

Are we heading to EFTA?

"All futures are possible. But when politics seems stuck, it is wise to look for where momentum is building."

https://www.ft.com/content/1c490256-eda6-11e8-89c8-d36339d835c0

No, but it's interesting that people with links to Cameron are proposing it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

For my 2,500th post can I query the process that allows HMG to publicly hand out gongs in exchange for votes? In what way is this remotely allowable by convention?

If you want to see the honours system made a mockery, wait until May gives Olly Robins his kighthood for fucking up Brexit.....
  • Options
    What exactly is the shared objective of the Tory deal saboteurs (assuming they have one)? Is it no-deal utopia or 'silly old Theresa messed it up; let one of the cunning, ruthless Brexit men do it'? (Or are they proclaiming the latter but intending the former?)
  • Options

Since the exit from the EU would be happening literally like a few weeks after the referendum, I'm not really seeing how they get "again and again".
  • Options

What exactly is the shared objective of the Tory deal saboteurs (assuming they have one)? Is it no-deal utopia or 'silly old Theresa messed it up; let one of the cunning, ruthless Brexit men do it'? (Or are they proclaiming the latter but intending the former?)

I think the PB approved answer to that question is 'unicorns'.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,814

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

The lesser of two evils, Corbyn is a bumbling deluded fool, May is pure evil.

He is bumbling, and deluded, and a fool.

But he's also an unabashed supporter of and at times paid apologist for Russia, Venezuela, Iran, Hamas, the IRA and John McDonnell.

It is possible he's evil as well.
    Ydoethur , May's pals make that lot look like pussy cats.
    Without wishing to be an apologist for the House of Saud -

That remark is simply wrong.
    The Tories have been chums with the nastiest of the nasty throughout the years , they are no better than Corbyn, just nastier.
    Thatcher sent British forces to train the Khmer Rouge!
    Exactly , but the morons on here think they are whiter than white.
    Some six or seven years ago, when I was in that unfortunate country, her doing so was held against us.
    It is the hypocrisy that gets me, all this flannel about whiter than white UK when they are up to their neck in despots and dictator's doings. Unbelievable that so many fools believe it as well.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

at what point does the case for a referendum on Northern Ireland's status become hard to challenge? If Catholics outnumber Protestants at the 2021 census is that the trigger?

Or will it be driven by a succession of opinion polls saying there is a majority in favour?

I don't know. But a referendum is an obligation under the GFA when there is a possibility it could win. We aren't there quite yet.
    thanks. I wasn't aware of that obligation.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

PS: it is TIKI and I bought a custom painted RC model of this particular tank for my grandson, really smart model.
    STUG is very nice, another favourite, I also like the Jagdpanther. We did Tiger day at Bovington recently and plans for going to Deutsche Panzermuseum, Munster in the spring. Grandson would also love to go to Kubinka in Moscow as they are supposed to have superb collections.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited November 2018
    The Lib Dems only known policy is to stop Brexit. Vince Cable is a disaster for their cause.

It is interesting as the heat and intensity on brexit increases and for another referendum they are not cutting through at all and seem marooned

While I am not a Corbyn supporter labour have so far been able to face both ways at once on brexit while the Lib Dems are in a straightjacket of their own making

It is also becoming more obvious as we approach the hiatus that those who support a second referendum seem to have no plausable path to one, but as important seem to want the wording slanted to their side and do not seem to have come to terms that they could lose
  • Options

dixiedean said:

thanks. I wasn't aware of that obligation.
    Correction to that. When the majority of NI and the Republic want to unite, the govt is obliged to comply. Technically, a referendum is not necessary, but it would be difficult to see a way without one.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

STUG is very nice, another favourite, I also like the Jagdpanther. We did Tiger day at Bovington recently and plans for going to Deutsche Panzermuseum, Munster in the spring. Grandson would also love to go to Kubinka in Moscow as they are supposed to have superb collections.
    you sound like an awesome grandad. I took my 5yo son to the royal armouries in leeds last month. he chose a pack of replica bullets from the gift shop. took them to school for show and tell and they got confiscated and given to the police. the teacher was "sure they were live" and berated us for encouraging his interest in such things.
  • Options

The Lib Dems only known policy is to stop Brexit. Vince Cable is a disaster for their cause.

It is interesting as the heat and intensity on brexit increases and for another referendum they are not cutting through at all and seem marooned

While I am not a Corbyn supporter labour have so far been able to face both ways at once on brexit while the Lib Dems are in a straightjacket of their own making

It is also becoming more obvious as we approach the hiatus that those who support a second referendum seem to have no plausable path to one, but as important seem to want the wording slanted to their side and do not seem to have come to terms that they could lose

To be fair to Vince, though, he has managed to reduce their known policies from 2 at the election down to one. Just Brexit now. Confusion about gay sex has been ditched. A significant advance there.
  • Options
    NotchNotch Posts: 145
    edited November 2018
    It is not clear that in a referendum there would be a Condorcet winner. Which is of more than academic interest when the option that gets eliminated in Round 1 would have won a Yes/No vote.

If there is a Yes/No vote on one option to begin with and then a conditional question on the same ballot which only comes into play in the case of a Yes (say) result, we will still get a large part of the electorate who feel cheated, because there is no unbiased way to choose what the first question will ask. Should it be Remain/Leave? Or Yes/No to May's deal? There is no "objective" answer to that.

Vernon Bogdanor's proposal of two referendums would be sensible if the electorate were a club and we were talking about two votes at an EGM or even two EGMs. What makes it crazy or distractedly sweet is that the electorate isn't a club.

Showing that a referendum could cause big problems doesn't show that not having one won't cause bigger ones. There is no way that any government is going to ignore parliamentary backing for a referendum. They have lost enough legitimacy as it is.

If the Commons backs "May's deal", there won't be a referendum.

If they don't back it, there will have to be. There is ample time for one. Greece managed it in 10 days in 2015. Are British officials a bunch of snowflakes? Renegotiation won't happen, so in this scenario the only alternative to a referendum would be No Deal. Which probably wouldn't get past the Commons either. Oh f***ing dear. And then a GE wouldn't help much.

If May's deal doesn't get past the Commons then the politicians will have screwed up, so hand the issue back to the people. That's not ideal, but there's no workable alternative. This is the basis on which I support a simple Leave/Remain referendum with it being made clear that "Leave" means WTO, hard Brexit, No Deal, however one wants to bill it.

In game show terms you get two options: Remain or No Deal.

• Options

Fair point, although entirely contrary to your previous one. But at least in this case there had already been a referendum. Some people won't tolerate it but in terms of the consequences, that's a lesser consideration than what granting one would do - so it won't happen.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    geoffw said:

Oh joy! James Forsythe points out that the backstop could be illegal.

The so-called backstop would see various EU rules and regulations apply in Northern Ireland even after the UK has left the EU.

But this provision might be illegal under European Human Rights law. The Matthews case brought against the UK Government in 1999 established that people have a right to vote in elections to the parliaments that set their laws.

Under the backstop, the European parliament would help decide the law in Northern Ireland but without any representation for the people of Northern Ireland.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/opinion/7817034/theresa-mays-brexit-blueprint-tory-rebellion/

Well perhaps we could leave the EU, but in a way that keeps our MEPs and whereby we continue to apply European law and participate in EU programmes?
  • Options

Fair point, although entirely contrary to your previous one. But at least in this case there had already been a referendum. Some people won't tolerate it but in terms of the consequences, that's a lesser consideration than what granting one would do - so it won't happen.
    The number of Conservative pundits desperately thrashing around looking for an alternative to a second referendum suggests it's very likely to happen.
  • Options
    My take on TM

She has fought since the election to achieve a brexit that honours the referendum but above all else minimises risk to business. In that respect she has achieved it

However, both extreme sides want their own way or else

I believe TM will continue her fight speaking over the heads of the mps but knows it is unlikely to go through. At that point I would expect her to go to Brussels and tell them it is no deal. She has ruled out a referendum and therefore the EU will be facing a crisis of their own.

They will have a choice of removing the backstop or entering a managed no deal exit

If she follows this she will not be challenged and the DUP will be onside

If she resigns and walks away real chaos will happen but hopefully, what we know of TM, is she will not do a David Cameron but she will fight on for brexit.

I could be very wrong and it may not happen, but it could
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

you sound like an awesome grandad. I took my 5yo son to the royal armouries in leeds last month. he chose a pack of replica bullets from the gift shop. took them to school for show and tell and they got confiscated and given to the police. the teacher was "sure they were live" and berated us for encouraging his interest in such things.
    Unbelievable, I would have ripped the idiot a new one.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,649
    edited November 2018

I believe TM will continue her fight speaking over the heads of the mps but knows it is unlikely to go through. At that point I would expect her to go to Brussels and tell them it is no deal. She has ruled out a referendum and therefore the EU will be facing a crisis of their own.

They will have a choice of removing the backstop or entering a managed no deal exit

They don't appear to regard that as a choice at all. Yes, negotiating stances and all that, but there seems little doubt which one they would choose.
  • Options

My take on TM

She has fought since the election to achieve a brexit that honours the referendum but above all else minimises risk to business. In that respect she has achieved it

If she resigns and walks away real chaos will happen but hopefully, what we know of TM, is she will not do a David Cameron but she will fight on for brexit.

Afternoon Big_G, regardless you can never trust a liar , she has to go and it cannot be soon enough.
  • Options

How do you justify advocating a 'no deal' referendum then? It's even more reckless than Cameron's original gambit. However slim the possibility, just imagine the repercussions from a majority vote that could be interpreted as a mandate for going on a war footing.
    Because people are entitled to make bad choices.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Thank you, David. A very interesting article.

If there is another referendum, the government money will be supporting Deal this time; so I suppose it comes down to how much money Remain and No Deal can muster and which side the supporters will place it, which depends on what the question is.

Good afternoon, everybody.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

all three established parties and have never been seriously challenged as a legitimate form of deciding first-order issues. Indeed, going back to the Maastricht debates, and certain other EU treary ratifications since, the *denial* of a referendum caused more fuss than the granting of other ones. No-one seriously suggested that the right way to determine the question of Scottish independence was through a vote in Holyrood, and nor do they now. Referendums are now a part of Britain's constitution; live with it.

That’s not true. It is perfectly reasonable and democratic to confirm a decision in the light of new information.
    Not when that new information is nothing more than unsubstantiated opinion.
  • Options

There isn't a shared objective I think, but the largest group appears to be that that May messed it up and otherwise it would be fine. We've seen this with some of the ridiculous commentary that this deal, even though officially backed by Cabinet, is hers and hers alone. Yes she is the primary architect, but those who vote for it and back it in Cabinet cannot escape any fallout from that. I was at an event recently with Stewart Jackson and he is very much pushing the line that it was all completely fine but then May mucked it up. He did also state May had cost him 2 jobs in 18 months, so he's not holding a grudge.
  • Options

What choice would the people of Ireland have in this process?
  • Options

Very much against the spirit of the times for some.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

My take on TM

you can never trust a liar , she has to go and it cannot be soon enough.
    I thought you liked Nicola:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/17/nicola-sturgeon-urged-apologise-30-billion-north-sea-oil-lie/

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-accused-lying-amid-11880343
  • Options

The text of the withdrawal agreement is substantial new information.
  • Options
    NotchNotch Posts: 145

Jonathan said:

"The government didn't manage to agree a deal" wouldn't be an opinion.
  • Options

If you want to see the honours system made a mockery, wait until May gives Olly Robins his kighthood for fucking up Brexit.....
    Isn’t getting one in his employment contract?
  • Options

The previous resrnado.
    What choice would the people of Ireland have in this process?
    Can they not lobby the EU to pursue various options, which would have an impact on whatever options the UK has before it? A complaint from some has been Ireland has had too much influence all of this.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

My take on TM

Afternoon Big_G, regardless you can never trust a liar , she has to go and it cannot be soon enough.
    Good morning Malc. As you know I do not accuse people of being liars as it could be applied to all politicians. However, I do believe this has shown how the political class have collectively failed. Enjoy your day
  • Options

My take on TM

As discussed yesterday, she has form for changing her mind over going to the country!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

My take on TM

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/17/nicola-sturgeon-urged-apologise-30-billion-north-sea-oil-lie/

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-accused-lying-amid-11880343
    You like to recycle. Did you miss the news this week that the Clair fields are now online , those same ones that Tories/Unionists said did not exist in 2014, turns out SNP were right and it has billions of barrels and will run 40 years. UK will squander that as well if allowed.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    edited November 2018
    Notch said:

Jonathan said:

The Government hav already managed to reach a deal. If you want a referendum then the only legitimate choice should be between accepting or rejecting the Deal. Rejecting Brexit should not be an option as that question had already been settled.
  • Options

Notch said:

Jonathan said:

The Government havdcalreafy managed to reach a deal. If you want a referendum then the only legitimate choice should be between accepting or rejecting the Deal. Rejecting Brexit should not be an option as that question had already been settled.
    You can say it's been settled until you're blue in the face but if people do not regard it as settled then it isn't settled.
  • Options

The text of the withdrawal agreement is substantial new information.
    So it is legitimate to vote on accepting or rejecting it. Not on the basic question of Brexit.
  • Options

If, against all odds, a deal does end up being agreed, then he will probably deserve one - getting even a bad deal through would be a tremendous effort.

But this continued attempt to put it all one the shoulders of one person doesn't ring true and comes across as a rather lame tactic from those against it. It isn't necessary anymore, we are past the phase where people were trying to attack May by pretending it was really that evil official - everyone can now be open that the problem is May.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

They don't appear to regard that as a choice at all. Yes, negotiating stances and all that, but there seems little doubt which one they would choose.
    I think the EU will be in a panic as will the markets. Now is the time for someone to make the case on a managed brexit. Just saying WTO and not paying 39 billion is as silly as the 350 million on the bus
  • Options

Notch said:

Jonathan said:

The Government hav already managed to reach a deal. If you want a referendum then the only legitimate choice should be between accepting or rejecting the Deal. Rejecting Brexit should not be an option as that question had already been settled.
    Clearly the question is getting reopened. That is problematic, but when the deal gets rejected there is an argument that why do the people need to be asked about it, since parliament has already declared that that deal is unacceptable, in which case some other option would best be presented.

I'd put the chances of Brexit happening as no better than 50/50 now.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

Barnesian said:

It is not illegitimate. What law does it break?

I said illegitimate not illegal. Your comprehension skills are slipping this morning.
    Illegitimate means illicit or outside the law. Illegal is a synonym. Look in a dictionary.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think the EU will be in a panic as will the markets. Now is the time for someone to make the case on a managed brexit. Just saying WTO and not paying 39 billion is as silly as the 350 million on the bus
    That it is silly won't prevent it happening. The EU's flaw in all this has been to just assume we will have to do certain things because the alternative cannot be countenanced, when the politics are such that it might still happen. The EU has politics to manage as much as anyone else, and are unwilling to do certain things even if it might seem more beneficial, because of that politics. They're little different to us in that respect.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

My take on TM

You like to recycle. Did you miss the news this week that the Clair fields are now online , those same ones that Tories/Unionists said did not exist in 2014, turns out SNP were right and it has billions of barrels and will run 40 years. UK will squander that as well if allowed.
    Independence for the Shetlands Malc
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    edited November 2018

My take on TM

I don't see what prevents her from being no confidenced at that point. Remain-leaning Tories would have no reason to keep her in place
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,387

Just been out for the last couple of hours. What the f*** happened in the cricket?

Rashid got to bowl on a wicket with a bit of bounce, and Jennnings cemented his place in the team, as specialist short leg...

• Options

Notch said:

Jonathan said:

The Government havdcalreafy managed to reach a deal. If you want a referendum then the only legitimate choice should be between accepting or rejecting the Deal. Rejecting Brexit should not be an option as that question had already been settled.
    You can say it's been settled until you're blue in the face but if people do not regard it as settled then it isn't settled.
    No the fact that some people do not accept it doesnt make them right. There will always be the malcontents and misanthropes unwilling to accept a decision. I am sure you will we some from the ultra Leave side if the deal is passed. That doesn't mean we should listen to their gibbering. For the good of the country it is important that we do not.
  • Options

Notch said:

Jonathan said:

No the fact that some people do not accept it doesnt make them right. There will always be the malcontents and misanthropes unwilling to accept a decision. I am sure you will we some from the ultra Leave side if the deal is passed. That doesn't mean we should listen to their gibbering. For the good of the country it is important that we do not.
    In the latest YouGov opinion poll, 50% of women think Brexit was the wrong decision and only 35% think it was right. Numbers like that must make you question the long-term viability of your project.
  • Options

My take on TM

I don't see what prevents her from being no confidenced at that point. Remain-leaning Tories would have to reason to keep her in place
    You mean remain conservative mps would vnoc her. The ERG have failed to get 48, remain are maybe 20 or so
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Notch said:

Jonathan said:

But surely if it's such a marginal group then you have nothing to fear from Remain being on another referendum, and in fact having it defeated would be an extremely effective way of bringing people around to support May's deal
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

I said illegitimate not illegal. Your comprehension skills are slipping this morning.
    Illegitimate means illicit or outside the law. Illegal is a synonym. Look in a dictionary.
    You've never seen someone use the word illegitimate non-literally? People, and politicians, do it all the time.

I don't regard a second vote with remain as an option to be illegitimate, but come on, to pretend people don't also use illegitimate in a broader sense than the literal is weak as all hell.
  • Options

Notch said:

Jonathan said:

But surely if it's such a marginal group then you have nothing to fear from Remain being on another referendum, and in fact having it defeated would be an extremely effective way of bringing people around to support May's deal
    I am becoming less confident a referendum happens but if it does it has to be remain - deal - no deal as that reflects the division in the country
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

You've never seen someone use the word illegitimate non-literally? People, and politicians, do it all the time.

I don't regard a second vote with remain as an option to be illegitimate, but come on, to pretend people don't also use illegitimate in a broader sense than the literal is weak as all hell.
    The definition top on google says "not authorized by the law; not in accordance with accepted standards or rules" - Richard clearly meant the latter.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited November 2018
    While I'm sure he's right about Hayes' motivation, the language and tone of this letter is everything one's come to expect from the ERG... rude, bullying, highly personal, unprofessional - on Commons paper addressed to a colleague, and allowed to leak out. Keep it for the pub.

If Frankie Boyle had made those comments about someone on TV, a lot of the people who are guffawing him on would be outraged.

https://www.iaindale.com/articles/tory-mps-go-to-war-over-john-hayes-utter-cock-knighthood
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Notch said:

Jonathan said:

In the latest YouGov opinion poll, 50% of women think Brexit was the wrong decision and only 35% think it was right. Numbers like that must make you question the long-term viability of your project.
    Those are worrying figures for Remain when you consider the unabated flood of doom that the media has plastered No Deal with in the last six or eight weeks.

If this is peak fear and remain numbers are here I doubt Remain would have a significant win after a referendum campaign.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322

I cannot see the Labour leadership backing a referendum. A lot of Labour MPs might, but not enough to get it through the Commons. The most likely scenario from here is [not a referendum]

In present circumstances, 100% agreed.

(a) Could someone who thinks that there is going to be a referendum, or at least that it is feasible/plausible/likely, explain why they think SO and I are wrong?

(b) Even if SO and I are correct that the referendum is not a likely outcome from this point, we are indeed facing a set of implausible outcomes of which one must happen, so let's just say it turns out there is a referendum. What needs to change between now and then for this to occur? Given we are in the hypothetical world where a referendum takes place, what form of wording is most likely to get through the Commons? Who would conceivably back each set of question options? Because I'm having such a difficulty even imagining a referendum taking place at all, I don't feel I have any handle whatsoever on which variants of a referendum scenario are more likely than others.
    Other alternatives have to fail first. TM's deal would need to be defeated, A Labour VONC would need to fail. TM would need to reject a new election. It would need to be generally agreed that this is no Parliamentary majority for any solution.

At that point, MPs may decide to pass the buck back to the electorate, with a straight choice of the surviving options: (1) Remain (2) WTO exit. (1) is embarrassing but not especially damaging economically - life goes on. But it can't reasonably be done without a fresh mandate. (2) is damaging but but if people really want it, so be it.

Why would the Labour leadership agree? Because Brexit's not an article of faith for them ether way. They have opinions like everyone else, but it's not die-in-the-ditch territory as it is for many Tories. If the alternative is hard Brexit plus Tories soldiering on, it starts to look quite good, especially if it leads to an election win thereafter.
  • Options

I cannot see the Labour leadership backing a referendum. A lot of Labour MPs might, but not enough to get it through the Commons. The most likely scenario from here is [not a referendum]

(a) Could someone who thinks that there is going to be a referendum, or at least that it is feasible/plausible/likely, explain why they think SO and I are wrong?

(b) Even if SO and I are correct that the referendum is not a likely outcome from this point, we are indeed facing a set of implausible outcomes of which one must happen, so let's just say it turns out there is a referendum. What needs to change between now and then for this to occur? Given we are in the hypothetical world where a referendum takes place, what form of wording is most likely to get through the Commons? Who would conceivably back each set of question options? Because I'm having such a difficulty even imagining a referendum taking place at all, I don't feel I have any handle whatsoever on which variants of a referendum scenario are more likely than others.
    Other alternatives have to fail first. TM's deal would need to be defeated, A Labour VONC would need to fail. TM would need to reject a new election. It would need to be generally agreed that this is no Parliamentary majority for any solution.

At that point, MPs may decide to pass the buck back to the electorate, with a straight choice of the surviving options: (1) Remain (2) WTO exit. (1) is embarrassing but not especially damaging economically - life goes on. But it can't reasonably be done without a fresh mandate. (2) is damaging but but if people really want it, so be it.

Why would the Labour leadership agree? Because Brexit's not an article of faith for them ether way. They have opinions like everyone else, but it's not die-in-the-ditch territory as it is for many Tories. If the alternative is hard Brexit plus Tories soldiering on, it starts to look quite good, especially if it leads to an election win thereafter.
    A 2nd vote happens when enough MPs conclude it is the only way out of a constitutional mess.

Seems to me at least possible that this will happen.
  • Options

Notch said:

Jonathan said:

That’s also a view, rather than a fact.
    Given that a number of those who helped lead the Brexit campaign have expressed a preference for remaining over the deal, it is an open question. The personal outrage of various individuals doesn’t settle it one way or the other.

My own preference would be for parliament to approve the imperfect deal. Should it fail to do so there is no settled legal, constitutional or democratic position for what should happen next - and whatever does will seriously annoy large numbers of people.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited November 2018
    Nigelb said:

Notch said:

Jonathan said:

Given that a number of those who helped lead the Brexit campaign have expressed a preference for remaining over the deal, it is an open question. The personal outrage of various individuals doesn’t settle it one way or the other.

My own preference would be for parliament to approve the imperfect deal. Should it fail to do so there is no settled legal, constitutional or democratic position for what should happen next - and whatever does will seriously annoy large numbers of people.

If you follow that probability tree posted earlier, the chanced of another ref are around 35%, and remaining around 20%. That seems about right to me.
  • Options
    France in chaos. Calais blocked. Demands for Macron to resign

No deal scenario

No, it is happening at this moment
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Of course they do. They say it's illegitimate when it's not actually illegal when they've run out of arguments. I was calling Richard out on that.
  • Options

Thanks for the considered response. Two things I have an issue with:

1) At this stage, is it even guaranteed that "Remain" is a live option, practically? Also it would be difficult to get any Brexiteer MPs to support a referendum with Remain as an option, so the parliamentary arithmetic would require support across the spectrum to make up for this.

2) In principle the "surviving options" could include "the Deal"? MPs might not feel able to vote through the Deal themselves, but might be content to let the electorate grubby their hands by doing it for them? Essentially, any situation in which an MP agrees to a referendum means presenting at least one option that the MP doesn't like. Couldn't the Deal be one of them?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Notch said:

Jonathan said:

If you follow that probability tree posted earlier, the chanced of another ref are around 35%, and remaining around 20%. That seems about right to me.
    And if you lick you finger and stick it in the air, the wind direction is near impossible to discern at the moment....
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    Jonathan said:

The problem with this line of thinking is that it only seems to apply to the decision to leave the EU.

We have been having new information about the EU for 40 years since the original referendum eg. Maastricht Treaty, Lisbon Treaty, ever closer union etc. and never been asked to confirm this decision democratically.

But when we vote to leave then that decision suddenly doesn't count with each new piece of information apparently. It's a bad argument.
  • Options
    For many the thought of Junckers and the rest smirking as we remain would be too much and they would vote out no matter the consequences
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Jonathan said:

The problem with this line of thinking is that it only seems to apply to the decision to leave the EU.

We have been having new information about the EU for 40 years since the original referendum eg. Maastricht Treaty, Lisbon Treaty, ever closer union etc. and never been asked to confirm this decision democratically.

But when we vote to leave then that decision suddenly doesn't count with each new piece of information apparently. It's a bad argument.
    It is transparent.
  • Options

No deal scenario

I wonder how many people in Britain are thinking "yeah, I remember that"
  • Options

For many the thought of Junckers and the rest smirking as we remain would be too much and they would vote out no matter the consequences

A trivial thing on which to base so consequential a decision, but you might well be right.
  • Options
    Theresa's deal is surely doomed - the Leavers eviscerated it with the same speed and ruthlessness as they did with Dave's before it. The wretched thing never stood a chance. I can only foresee two outcomes now:

1) If the EU is prepared to indulge us, we could go through the farce of Theresa's replacement (DD or whoever) 'renegotiating' something else. It will be crap, of course, but the Leavers are more likely to back it simply because one of their own has his name on it.

2) No Deal it is then. This might be salutary in the long term. Despite the economic damage of No Deal, exposing the Brexit ultras as charlatans, fantasists or nincompoops will surely amount to a kind of political cleansing. We can then peer into the future poorer but healthier.
  • Options

How does Labour place a Referendum Bill before parliament and guide it through the legislative steps so that the vote can be held before March 29?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

No deal scenario

Macron is President and is highly unlikely to resign, there is no French Vice President who would take over and elections are fixed term and constitutionally in France the President is also very difficult to impeach
  • Options

The number of Conservative pundits desperately thrashing around looking for an alternative to a second referendum suggests it's very likely to happen.
    There are two perfectly obvious alternatives to a second referendum: a second vote in the Commons, and No Deal.
  • Options
    O/T Real Madrid be wanting to sack their new manager in record time.
  • Options

Even if it votes for No Deal - as it well might?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Of course they do. They say it's illegitimate when it's not actually illegal when they've run out of arguments. I was calling Richard out on that.
    Utterly wrong as usual. I have never claimed it would be illegal and clearly did not in this case. You are just squirming because you have no other response. I choose my words carefully. You should try to do the same.
  • Options

There are two perfectly obvious alternatives to a second referendum: a second vote in the Commons, and No Deal.
    Keep voting until you get the right answer?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Notch said:

It is not clear that in a referendum there would be a Condorcet winner. Which is of more than academic interest when the option that gets eliminated in Round 1 would have won a Yes/No vote.

If there is a Yes/No vote on one option to begin with and then a conditional question on the same ballot which only comes into play in the case of a Yes (say) result, we will still get a large part of the electorate who feel cheated, because there is no unbiased way to choose what the first question will ask. Should it be Remain/Leave? Or Yes/No to May's deal? There is no "objective" answer to that.

Vernon Bogdanor's proposal of two referendums would be sensible if the electorate were a club and we were talking about two votes at an EGM or even two EGMs. What makes it crazy or distractedly sweet is that the electorate isn't a club.

Showing that a referendum could cause big problems doesn't show that not having one won't cause bigger ones. There is no way that any government is going to ignore parliamentary backing for a referendum. They have lost enough legitimacy as it is.

If the Commons backs "May's deal", there won't be a referendum.

If they don't back it, there will have to be. There is ample time for one. Greece managed it in 10 days in 2015. Are British officials a bunch of snowflakes? Renegotiation won't happen, so in this scenario the only alternative to a referendum would be No Deal. Which probably wouldn't get past the Commons either. Oh f***ing dear. And then a GE wouldn't help much.

If May's deal doesn't get past the Commons then the politicians will have screwed up, so hand the issue back to the people. That's not ideal, but there's no workable alternative. This is the basis on which I support a simple Leave/Remain referendum with it being made clear that "Leave" means WTO, hard Brexit, No Deal, however one wants to bill it.

In game show terms you get two options: Remain or No Deal.

May could quite easily call a Deal v No Deal referendum if she cannot get her Deal through the Commons which would get enough of the ERG on board and potentially the DUP to get through Parliament and still adhere to her commitment that we will Brexit next March.

According to Ashcroft's poll yesterday Deal would narrowly win it
This discussion has been closed.