Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Beto O’Rourke, third favourite for WH2020, gets closer to putt

Comments

• Mr. Xenon, I remember Laura Kuenssberg saying that if we did Remain we'd lose the rebate, as it's not in a treaty, but retain Shengen/single currency opt-outs, which are in treaties.
  • XenonXenon Posts: 471

Xenon said:

I can't see anything except remain from here. They've made such a balls up of negotiations that there doesn't seem to be any other choice.

Unfortunately none of the options are great.

The option which does least damage to the economy - but most damage to democracy is Remain. ("You Plebs can be ignored").

The option which is pretty meh to the economy and ok-ish to democracy is the deal. (No one likes it much, but the country is still split)

Crash out Brexit does most damage to the economy and significant damage to democracy ("winner takes all Leave")
    What damage does winner takes all do to democracy? That's simply democracy when we are faced with a binary choice, especially one where we were told by both sides leaving meant leaving the SM and CU before the vote.
    It damages democracy that those in favour of Leaving said this wouldn’t happen because we held all the cards etc.

The voters hate being lied to.
    Like the emergency budget in the event of voting leave for example.

Both sides talked a lot of crap during the campaign, focusing purely on the opponents lies while hand-waving those on your own side just comes across as sour grapes.
  • NotchNotch Posts: 145
    edited November 2018
    RobD said:

[The Electoral Commission] also say no referendum should be held before 6 months after the legislation has past approving the referendum.

Where are you getting that from?
    It's not a legal requirement, but it is advised:

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/195867/EU-Referendum-media-briefing.pdf

(section 2)
    The day the government start publicly relying on this briefing by the Electoral Commission, we can expect a referendum announcement within a few days and the referendum itself within a couple of weeks.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,547
    Scott_P said:

Even if remain were to win, a second referendum with those options would solve nothing and would just lead to yet more banging on about Europe.

That's probably (but not certainly) true, however, we have had 40 years of peace, growth and prosperity while constantly banging on about Europe.

Sacrificing the former to silence the latter is not a good deal.

If we crash out, it will be a disaster and we will still bang on about whose fault it was until we all die.
    I agree. I think May's deal is the way to go (although I think Cameron's deal was better, that is obviously impossible to get back to).

But we are where we are.
  • This whole farrago results from the Tories putting party before country. The referendum was called in the interests of the Tory party, as was the 2017 election. Tories are in no position to appeal to their opponents on national interest grounds.

Anyway I guess most Labour MPs believe that the national interest lies in defeating the deal and going for a second referendum.

Actually, no. The Brexit issue was harmful to the Conservative Party, but it wasn't as though only traditional Conservative voters wanted Brexit: plenty of would-be Labour voters moved over to UKIP, and voted leave.

A referendum was required. There had been too many years' of people moaning and whinging about the EU, and we were not willing to deal with issues in our own remit as it was easier to blame the EU instead. If we had not had one in 2016, we would have had one within a few years, whoever was in power. It was inevitable.

Sadly for your last line, I cannot see a sane process or question for a second referendum that would deal with all the options, and also how to even get a second referendum.

*Anyone* wanting a second referendum are risking a very hard crash out. Some say they want a second referendum knowing that, others are deluded.
    If the 2nd referendum is between May's Deal and Remain then a hard crash out is impossible.
    Firstly, that presumes that the EU are willing to let us have the time to have such a referendum.

Secondly, your choices neglect the hard leavers, insane winnets as they may be. Their side won the referendum, and a second referendum that did not have that option would be easy to call undemocratic - and perhaps it would be. If anything, it's easier to argue that as leave won, it should be a choice between May's deal and a hard Brexit.

Even if remain were to win, a second referendum with those options would solve nothing and would just lead to yet more banging on about Europe.

A May's deal / remain referendum would not solve anything in the short and long terms. Sadly, neither would many of the other options.
    "if May really believes this is what the British people want, there is one thing she should fear less than anything else: a second referendum"
    "May insisted that we ask the people again for a renewed mandate, just two short years later. If this logic worked then, why not now?"

https://theconversation.com/theresa-may-is-gaslighting-a-nation-with-her-brexit-deal-mantra-107623
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

**NOTICE**

Can all those Brexiters who voted Leave please stop talking about Brexiters in the third person as if they bear no responsibility for what is happening. Those in charge now, those in charge once and now gone, those who voted for it. All the same. No of course you didn't realise it would turn out like this and hoped for EEA/EFTA/Norway Plus/Canada Plus Plus whatever the fuck.

This absolute shithow is all your fault.

So please enough of the "they".

There's a difference between Leavers and Brexiteers.

As there is a difference between Remainers and EverCloserUnioners.
    Nah. The ballot paper was the ballot paper.
    And we could Leave or Remain.

But Leaving does not satisfy those who want to create libertarian pirate island while Remaining would not have satisfied those who wanted to create United States of Europe.
    Those who voted Leave, whatever colour horn they wanted the unicorn to have (h/t @rcs1000 ) are responsible. If they didn't realise it would turn out like this then it's worse than I thought. As for Remainers? Who cares, we lost.
    You're responsible too, by your logic. You voted for a party that had leave in its manifesto.
  • Xenon said:

I can't see anything except remain from here. They've made such a balls up of negotiations that there doesn't seem to be any other choice.

The option which does least damage to the economy - but most damage to democracy is Remain. ("You Plebs can be ignored").

The option which is pretty meh to the economy and ok-ish to democracy is the deal. (No one likes it much, but the country is still split)

Crash out Brexit does most damage to the economy and significant damage to democracy ("winner takes all Leave")
    What damage does winner takes all do to democracy? That's simply democracy when we are faced with a binary choice, especially one where we were told by both sides leaving meant leaving the SM and CU before the vote.
    It damages democracy that those in favour of Leaving said this wouldn’t happen because we held all the cards etc.

We did hold the cards but remainer May chucked away our aces.
    Delusional.
    Philip should really read Sean Fear’s excellent post from yesterday.

This whole farrago results from the Tories putting party before country. The referendum was called in the interests of the Tory party, as was the 2017 election. Tories are in no position to appeal to their opponents on national interest grounds.

Anyway I guess most Labour MPs believe that the national interest lies in defeating the deal and going for a second referendum.

Actually, no. The Brexit issue was harmful to the Conservative Party, but it wasn't as though only traditional Conservative voters wanted Brexit: plenty of would-be Labour voters moved over to UKIP, and voted leave.

A referendum was required. There had been too many years' of people moaning and whinging about the EU, and we were not willing to deal with issues in our own remit as it was easier to blame the EU instead. If we had not had one in 2016, we would have had one within a few years, whoever was in power. It was inevitable.

Sadly for your last line, I cannot see a sane process or question for a second referendum that would deal with all the options, and also how to even get a second referendum.

*Anyone* wanting a second referendum are risking a very hard crash out. Some say they want a second referendum knowing that, others are deluded.
    If the 2nd referendum is between May's Deal and Remain then a hard crash out is impossible.
    Firstly, that presumes that the EU are willing to let us have the time to have such a referendum.

Secondly, your choices neglect the hard leavers, insane winnets as they may be. Their side won the referendum, and a second referendum that did not have that option would be easy to call undemocratic - and perhaps it would be. If anything, it's easier to argue that as leave won, it should be a choice between May's deal and a hard Brexit.

A May's deal / remain referendum would not solve anything in the short and long terms. Sadly, neither would many of the other options.
    "if May really believes this is what the British people want, there is one thing she should fear less than anything else: a second referendum"
    "May insisted that we ask the people again for a renewed mandate, just two short years later. If this logic worked then, why not now?"

https://theconversation.com/theresa-may-is-gaslighting-a-nation-with-her-brexit-deal-mantra-107623
    Those are meaningless quotes; wish-fulfilment that ignore the real world.

Please tell me how we get to a second referendum from where we are, and what options you think will 'solve' the current mess.

Mr. Xenon, I remember Laura Kuenssberg saying that if we did Remain we'd lose the rebate, as it's not in a treaty, but retain Shengen/single currency opt-outs, which are in treaties.

The EU could fudge it if they wanted. I don't buy all this "bound by treaties" stuff, the EU just does what it wants.

If they want us to stay they will make it happen.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited November 2018

Dianne Abbott is absolutely right. " Tactical contact " exists within a clear legal frame work. The idea any democracy let alone a common law one would go further and introduce a blanket indemnity for police officers to ram citizens with cars is absurd. It's the stuff of literal dictatorship.

And we need twelve good men and women to convict. I can't say I particularly liked the Onasanya mistrial verdict, but am thankful it's a reminder of the sanctity of the jury.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,095

Mr. Xenon, I remember Laura Kuenssberg saying that if we did Remain we'd lose the rebate, as it's not in a treaty, but retain Shengen/single currency opt-outs, which are in treaties.

That sounds a very reasonable position to be in, compared with the current one.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

We did hold the cards

A joker, Mr Bun the Baker, and Ferrari Testarossa Top Trump
  • Another day, another award for Carole Cadwalladr:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1067340429081890816

I'm sure the diehard Leavers who want to wave her work away will come up with some good reasons why her work is unaccountably winning so many awards.

This award is from an organisation that has listed the UK as an "Enemy Of The Internet" since 2014, along with:

Bahrain: 2012–present
    Belarus: 2006–8, 2012–present
    China: 2008–present
    Cuba: 2006–present
    Ethiopia: 2014–present
    India: 2014–present
    Iran: 2006–present
    North Korea: 2006–present
    Pakistan: 2014–present
    Russia: 2014–present
    Saudi Arabia: 2006–present
    Sudan: 2014–present
    Syria: 2006–present
    Turkmenistan: 2006–present
    United Arab Emirates: 2014–present
    United States: 2014–present
    Uzbekistan: 2006–present
    Vietnam: 2006–present

Hmm..
  • Xenon said:

Because the reality of a crash out Brexit will be very far removed from the "sunny uplands" Leave voters voted for - even if some of them knew there would be compromises. And both sides told contradictory tales about the SM & CU (IIRC it was more Remain who said we'd come out of both, rather than Leave which had a kaleidoscope of options).
  • Xenon said:

Which Aces were those?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

It is genuinely impressive how prodigiously and comprehensively fucked we now are whatever the outcome.

Sometimes you just have to step back and look with awe and wonder.
  • Another day, another award for Carole Cadwalladr:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1067340429081890816

I'm sure the diehard Leavers who want to wave her work away will come up with some good reasons why her work is unaccountably winning so many awards.

This award is from an organisation that has listed the UK as an "Enemy Of The Internet" since 2014, along with:

Bahrain: 2012–present
    Belarus: 2006–8, 2012–present
    China: 2008–present
    Cuba: 2006–present
    Ethiopia: 2014–present
    India: 2014–present
    Iran: 2006–present
    North Korea: 2006–present
    Pakistan: 2014–present
    Russia: 2014–present
    Saudi Arabia: 2006–present
    Sudan: 2014–present
    Syria: 2006–present
    Turkmenistan: 2006–present
    United Arab Emirates: 2014–present
    United States: 2014–present
    Uzbekistan: 2006–present
    Vietnam: 2006–present

Hmm..
    Sorry, that was her other award this month from RSF.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,095

Xenon said:

So a "real" Brexiter - one of those who ran away at the first sign of trouble, perhaps? - would not only have got more from the EU but would be more successful in winning a majority from Parliament? Expecting a unicorn is bad enough but you expect it to be able to fly as well?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,963

Xenon said:

In 2017, we had a general election in which 86% of votes were cast for parties who pledged they would implement the decision to Brexit.

Theresa May in the Conservative manifesto said we would do this by leaving the CU and the SM.

That is a shed-load of lying, right there.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    That's a really good article, and worth reading in full. The part I'd highlight is this as it's underrated on PB (I'm going to the McDonnell meeting that the Guardian organised tonight - interesting to see if he adds anything on this):

“People think of Corbyn ‘he’s a secret Brexiteer, he hates the EU,’” the [front-bench] MP said. “I don’t know any of that; all I know is that he voted Remain, he campaigned for Remain despite having a lifelong scepticism of the EU, but nonetheless I’ve got no reason to believe he’s done anything but tell the truth.

“In terms of him wrecking a people’s vote, I think you need to see it through the lens of — does having a people’s vote increase the chances of having a stable Labour government?”

The MP added: “That’s my view. Other people who are less friendly to Jeremy may be coloured by a ‘can’t stand Corbyn, he’ll block this,’ that kind of view. I know Jeremy. I can’t see he would deliberately block a people’s vote, especially if he knew that was going to gift us, you could make an argument that this was the best way out of this and at the same time it was going to deliver a stable Labour government.

“I think there’s a lot more pragmatism going on on the Labour front bench, with the Labour leadership, than people give them credit for.”
    edited November 2018

Which Aces were those?

• Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,884
    She's right, you can't have the old bill running people over at will. The police need less powers to inflict violence on the citizenry not more.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited November 2018
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I note Fabian Picardo absolubtely ripped the BBC to shreds this morning on their complete failure to present the Gibraltar situation accurately.
    Certainly a politician living in the real world.

Picardo's `real world' is about the size of a municipal park in a UK metropolitan borough....., I dont blame him for fighting.hard to be heard...look what the Conservatives did to Hong Kong's voters when faced with a neighbour who wanted it back who had big trading potential....Gib folk should be fearful of vague Tory promises.
    OMG not HK now.

Hong Kong (ex the Island, for the details people) was on a lease which expired. The UK honoured that contract.

All the Conservatives did to Hong Kong's voters was to comply with their international treaty obligations.
    Part of Kowloon as well, if one is being pedantic. The Peninsula Hotel could have been forever British. Mind you the lavatories would have been less effective if the Chinese had stopped water flowing from the New Territories.

EDIT - I see that the point has been made. Still, union jack underpants.
  • Xenon said:

"The option which does least damage to the economy - but most damage to democracy is Remain. ("You Plebs can be ignored")."
    In a new referendum all of us, 'plebs' included, will be asked again and not ignored.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    IanB2 said:

That sounds a very reasonable position to be in, compared with the current one.
    Paying even more money into the EU? Hmmm.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776

This whole farrago results from the Tories putting party before country. The referendum was called in the interests of the Tory party, as was the 2017 election. Tories are in no position to appeal to their opponents on national interest grounds.

If a second referendum were held, (and I think we're past the point where it could be) it would have to be between three options. Anything else would just be trying to rig the result.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

**NOTICE**

Can all those Brexiters who voted Leave please stop talking about Brexiters in the third person as if they bear no responsibility for what is happening. Those in charge now, those in charge once and now gone, those who voted for it. All the same. No of course you didn't realise it would turn out like this and hoped for EEA/EFTA/Norway Plus/Canada Plus Plus whatever the fuck.

But Leaving does not satisfy those who want to create libertarian pirate island while Remaining would not have satisfied those who wanted to create United States of Europe.
    Those who voted Leave, whatever colour horn they wanted the unicorn to have (h/t @rcs1000 ) are responsible. If they didn't realise it would turn out like this then it's worse than I thought. As for Remainers? Who cares, we lost.
    You're responsible too, by your logic. You voted for a party that had leave in its manifesto.
    Not really. I don't and didn't have a problem with the referendum being held. It is the result I take issue with.
    Scott_P said:

Which Aces were those?

This photo sums it all up.

Despite a majority in the country wanting out of the EU, there weren't any prominent politicians who shared their views. They are all straight out of the Westminster bubble.

No wonder it's such a mess.
  • Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

**NOTICE**

Over 85% of voters in 2017 voted for parties with leave in their manifesto.
    matt said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I note Fabian Picardo absolubtely ripped the BBC to shreds this morning on their complete failure to present the Gibraltar situation accurately.
    Certainly a politician living in the real world.

Picardo's `real world' is about the size of a municipal park in a UK metropolitan borough....., I dont blame him for fighting.hard to be heard...look what the Conservatives did to Hong Kong's voters when faced with a neighbour who wanted it back who had big trading potential....Gib folk should be fearful of vague Tory promises.
    OMG not HK now.

Hong Kong (ex the Island, for the details people) was on a lease which expired. The UK honoured that contract.

All the Conservatives did to Hong Kong's voters was to comply with their international treaty obligations.
    Part of Kowloon as well, if one is being pedantic. The Peninsula Hotel could have been forever British. Mind you the lavatories would have been less effective if the Chinese had stopped water flowing from the New Territories.

EDIT - I see that the point has been made. Still, union jack underpants.
    Those lavatories are bliss.
  • Soft on crime:
    twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1067359292238544896

Well according to Abbott figures under a corbyn government we will be able to afford 100,000s of new police, there will be so many on the streets there won’t be any need to chase anybody.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited November 2018

TGOHF said:

She has a point. Did you know in recent years 28 people have been killed during police chases, two thirds have been innocent bystanders.

The police display shocking judgment in a lot of these cases.
    Surely then you will support the police shortening these chases by ejaculating these hoodlums from their mopeds at the earliest opportunity ?
    No. I’d ban mopeds from city centres.
    Ban all internal combustion engined vehicles and I'd be with you there.

(exceptions for deliveries before 8am/after 6pm and for rural buses that terminate/originate in the city centre, obviously)
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2018
    Xenon said:

Scott_P said:

Which Aces were those?

Despite a majority in the country wanting out of the EU, there weren't any prominent politicians who shared their views. They are all straight out of the Westminster bubble.

There are not even two prominent politicians in that photo who share each other's views. That is what is wrong with this process: Cameron launched the referendum and later May triggered Article 50 without either of them troubling to establish what Brexit ought to look like. There is no consensus even amongst leavers, even amongst the ERG or UKIP, and there never was.
    Sean_F said:

If a second referendum were held, (and I think we're past the point where it could be) it would have to be between three options. Anything else would just be trying to rig the result.
    How do we count the votes, a three option referendum could well fall prey to condorcet's paradox.
  • Sean_F said:

I think I agree but I wonder if the No Deal option isn't harder than it sounds. Are you allowed a minimal deal to keep the planes flying, or does No Deal mean No Deal? If you can have a minimal deal, what's the line between what you're allowed to do and what you're not?
    edited November 2018
    Xenon said:

Scott_P said:

Which Aces were those?

Brexit has amply illustrated that our politicians are not fit for purpose.

Don't be surprised if the voters sling out many of them. A new party that pledges to listen, then act, would clean up.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Xenon said:

Scott_P said:

Which Aces were those?

Brexit has amply illustrated that our politicians are not fit for purpose.

Don't be surprised if the voters sling out many of them. A new party that pledges to listen, then act, would clean up.
    The SDP?

A new party that pledges to listen, then act, would clean up.

Yes, populists can win votes. Look at Trump.

But he is not actually delivering what they want.

That's a really good article, and worth reading in full. The part I'd highlight is this as it's underrated on PB (I'm going to the McDonnell meeting that the Guardian organised tonight - interesting to see if he adds anything on this):

“People think of Corbyn ‘he’s a secret Brexiteer, he hates the EU,’” the [front-bench] MP said. “I don’t know any of that; all I know is that he voted Remain, he campaigned for Remain despite having a lifelong scepticism of the EU, but nonetheless I’ve got no reason to believe he’s done anything but tell the truth.

“In terms of him wrecking a people’s vote, I think you need to see it through the lens of — does having a people’s vote increase the chances of having a stable Labour government?”

The MP added: “That’s my view. Other people who are less friendly to Jeremy may be coloured by a ‘can’t stand Corbyn, he’ll block this,’ that kind of view. I know Jeremy. I can’t see he would deliberately block a people’s vote, especially if he knew that was going to gift us, you could make an argument that this was the best way out of this and at the same time it was going to deliver a stable Labour government.

“I think there’s a lot more pragmatism going on on the Labour front bench, with the Labour leadership, than people give them credit for.”
    " I think you need to see it through the lens of — does having a people’s vote increase the chances of having a stable Labour government?”"

The problem with that is that many things might increase the chances of having a stable Labour government. That does not mean the cost of those things is automatically worth the sunlit uplands of a stable Labour government.

Taking an extreme example, an attack on the Conservative Party Conference that saw all Conservative MPs killed might increase the chances of a stable Labour government (and indeed, Corbyn appears to have some sympathy for people who tried just that). Does that make it worthwhile?

Labour are helping the country towards a massively damaging hard Brexit that will cost people jobs, wealth and happiness. It is a sick example of putting party before the country.

It's time Labour loyalists grew up.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:
    Anyone British that volunteers to be Irish needs their hard drive examined by the police.

• Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
    The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that there is only one possible plan for Theresa May and the government if and when the deal is voted down. A general election to get a public mandate for the deal just doesn't work as a plan - Tory MPs, having just trashed the deal, are hardly going to campaign a few weeks later in support of it. and if the PM tried it, she would split the party. However, there is no realistic possibility of the deal being renegotiated in any substantive way, and leaving with no deal is unthinkable. Asking for extra time of itself won't square this circle. Therefore the choice is stark: either get the deal agreed some other way, or ask the EU if we can please reverse this Brexit malarkey. In terms of avoiding utter disaster, either would work if there is sufficient democratic cover.

My conclusion therefore is the obvious one that Plan B is a Remain/Deal referendum, which would almost certainly get through parliament with the support of Remainy Tories, the LibDems, a large chunk of Labour MPs even if not the leadership, and probably the SNP. The recent behaviour of Theresa May in seemingly going over the heads of MPs to appeal direct to the public for support for her deal makes good sense in this scenario, as does the warning in the Conservative whip's memo to MPs that there will be votes with three-line whips in the final week of the parliamentary term.

Clearly there are big difficulties. Timing is a major issue; maybe the PM thinks she can get this through in time to hold the referendum before March 29th despite the existing legislation on referendums, although that looks really difficult, perhaps totally impractical. Alternatively an extension to Article 50 could be sought, although that brings further problems.

Another issue is whether Theresa May will be there to implement this, but if she isn't the parliamentary arithmetic doesn't change, so her successor has the same dilemma.

Clearly also the ERGers are going to kick up one hell of a stink if this is how things pan out, but they've somewhat neutered themselves by arguing that the deal is worse than Remain.

So, 2019 referendum it is, I think. And, ironically, all this is the doing of the ERG, for trashing what they have been campaigning for for years. If they’d said the deal isn’t perfect, but they’ll support it to get us out of the EU, we’d be definitely leaving in a few weeks’ time.
    Mrs Brown's Boys, a BBC Christmas highlight? Jeez..... Looking like a Netflix Christmas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46346051

" I think you need to see it through the lens of — does having a people’s vote increase the chances of having a stable Labour government?”"

The problem with that is that many things might increase the chances of having a stable Labour government. That does not mean the cost of those things is automatically worth the sunlit uplands of a stable Labour government.

Taking an extreme example, an attack on the Conservative Party Conference that saw all Conservative MPs killed might increase the chances of a stable Labour government (and indeed, Corbyn appears to have some sympathy for people who tried just that). Does that make it worthwhile?

Labour are helping the country towards a massively damaging hard Brexit that will cost people jobs, wealth and happiness. It is a sick example of putting party before the country.

It's time Labour loyalists grew up.
    No that is unfair. You are effectively saying that everyone should "see sense" and vote with the Conservatives. But that makes a mockery of our politics. It is the job of the opposition to oppose and they are allowed to say that they wouldn't have started from there. It is a moral hazard for any government to get itself into all and any kinds of trouble and then expect the opposition to bail it out.
  • Pulpstar said:

How do we count the votes, a three option referendum could well fall prey to condorcet's paradox.

Do 2 rounds. I think this part is easy, because there are two distinct questions:
    1) What kind of Brexit?
    2) Do you actually want to do it?

This works better as separate votes, because the media has a really hard time handling more than two opinions at the same time, so you get a much cleaner discussion than if you were trying to do 3 options at once.

The downside is that you have a big old bunfight about whether these two rounds are separate campaigns, in which case the winning Leave side gets to raise money and send out leaflets twice, or only one, in which case the winning Leave side is disadvantaged because they have to fight twice with the same resources. But I think Remainers would be prepared to suck it up if you settled this stuff in the Leave side's favour on the Beggars Can't Be Choosers principle.

So, 2019 referendum it is, I think. And, ironically, all this is the doing of the ERG, for trashing what they have been campaigning for for years. If they’d said the deal isn’t perfect, but they’ll support it to get us out of the EU, we’d be definitely leaving in a few weeks’ time.

Yes, they are fools. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
    edited November 2018

The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that there is only one possible plan for Theresa May and the government if and when the deal is voted down. A general election to get a public mandate for the deal just doesn't work as a plan - Tory MPs, having just trashed the deal, are hardly going to campaign a few weeks later in support of it. and if the PM tried it, she would split the party. However, there is no realistic possibility of the deal being renegotiated in any substantive way, and leaving with no deal is unthinkable. Asking for extra time of itself won't square this circle. Therefore the choice is stark: either get the deal agreed some other way, or ask the EU if we can please reverse this Brexit malarkey. In terms of avoiding utter disaster, either would work if there is sufficient democratic cover.

My conclusion therefore is the obvious one that Plan B is a Remain/Deal referendum, which would almost certainly get through parliament with the support of Remainy Tories, the LibDems, a large chunk of Labour MPs even if not the leadership, and probably the SNP. The recent behaviour of Theresa May in seemingly going over the heads of MPs to appeal direct to the public for support for her deal makes good sense in this scenario, as does the warning in the Conservative whip's memo to MPs that there will be votes with three-line whips in the final week of the parliamentary term.

Clearly there are big difficulties. Timing is a major issue; maybe the PM thinks she can get this through in time to hold the referendum before March 29th despite the existing legislation on referendums, although that looks really difficult, perhaps totally impractical. Alternatively an extension to Article 50 could be sought, although that brings further problems.

Another issue is whether Theresa May will be there to implement this, but if she isn't the parliamentary arithmetic doesn't change, so her successor has the same dilemma.

Clearly also the ERGers are going to kick up one hell of a stink if this is how things pan out, but they've somewhat neutered themselves by arguing that the deal is worse than Remain.

Hoisted by their own fantasies. I think there is a serious danger of the 48 letters going in if May puts forward that particular referendum though.
    On the plus side for May I think Art 50 would be extended for that particular referendum.

Sean_F said:

I think I agree but I wonder if the No Deal option isn't harder than it sounds. Are you allowed a minimal deal to keep the planes flying, or does No Deal mean No Deal? If you can have a minimal deal, what's the line between what you're allowed to do and what you're not?
    They won't allow a bare bones deal in case the public decide to actually vote for it.

It has to be total chaos or being subservient to the EU.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,603
    Quite right Mr Dancer. Bull bars as fitted to US police cruisers should be permitted in order to reduce the damage to police vehicles too! Any nasty little oik who rides a motorcycle with the express intention of stealing someone's mobile phone deserves the full force of the law, even if it is in the form of a 2.5 tonne BMW X5!

My conclusion therefore is the obvious one that Plan B is a Remain/Deal referendum,

The flaw in that plan is that it would peeve many many Conservative MPs and many many voters who would be quite angry.

Nobody much would campaign for the deal - remain would probably win due to apathy - and the party would disintegrate.

It does kick the can down the road for a couple of months so it's right up TM's street.
  • The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that there is only one possible plan for Theresa May and the government if and when the deal is voted down. A general election to get a public mandate for the deal just doesn't work as a plan - Tory MPs, having just trashed the deal, are hardly going to campaign a few weeks later in support of it. and if the PM tried it, she would split the party. However, there is no realistic possibility of the deal being renegotiated in any substantive way, and leaving with no deal is unthinkable. Asking for extra time of itself won't square this circle. Therefore the choice is stark: either get the deal agreed some other way, or ask the EU if we can please reverse this Brexit malarkey. In terms of avoiding utter disaster, either would work if there is sufficient democratic cover.

The legal challenges alone would take you way past 29th March. And if you do not include a No Deal option the hardliners will bring down May like a shot.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Is it?
    In what context is the choice any longer in our own hands?
    We have a referendum, assuming the EU allows an extended period for this to happen. The result is close, but we ask to remain.
    Remain as unhappy members, difficult members, a split nation who are members because they couldn't get the goodies they want. If you were the EU would you let us remain without some long term commitment? Say no more referendum for 10 years? Could we give that commitment?
    A second referendum could make the EU less willing to keep us inside the club.
    In that situation it is the deal of May of Drop out.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that there is only one possible plan for Theresa May and the government if and when the deal is voted down.
    Therefore the choice is stark: either get the deal agreed some other way, or ask the EU if we can please reverse this Brexit malarkey. In terms of avoiding utter disaster, either would work if there is sufficient democratic cover.

I thought you disagreed with this, because I am fairly certain that, when I said, you told me it was not an option.

Remain or remain in all but name.

Let's be honest, that's all us plebs were ever allowed to choose from the start.

Of course remain would win that particular farce.

If they want to remain then just remain, don't try and pretend it is any way democratic, because it really isn't.
    edited November 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Hoisted by their own fantasies. I think there is a serious danger of the 48 letters going in if May puts forward that particular referendum though.

The letters may well go in. But that doesn't necessarily mean she will lose the VONC.

Anyway, what does she have to lose? She's trying to do her duty, and to be fair has done well to get this far. If she's lost the withdrawal bill vote anyway, she's got to find some other plan, and if Tory MPs decide to chuck her out, it's no longer her problem.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,684
    Dura_Ace said:

She's right, you can't have the old bill running people over at will. The police need less powers to inflict violence on the citizenry not more.
    The person they rob should be able to run them over several times and then give them a good kicking though.
    edited November 2018

The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that there is only one possible plan for Theresa May and the government if and when the deal is voted down.
    Therefore the choice is stark: either get the deal agreed some other way, or ask the EU if we can please reverse this Brexit malarkey. In terms of avoiding utter disaster, either would work if there is sufficient democratic cover.

I thought you disagreed with this, because I am fairly certain that, when I said, you told me it was not an option.
    That is what I thought, you are right. I have changed my mind because of the extraordinary behaviour of those Tory MPs who have decided to vote against the deal. That closes off the only way Brexit could reasonably be implemented, unless it can be salvaged through the referendum (although I think in practice the result would now be to cancel Brexit).
    TOPPING said:

No that is unfair. You are effectively saying that everyone should "see sense" and vote with the Conservatives. But that makes a mockery of our politics. It is the job of the opposition to oppose and they are allowed to say that they wouldn't have started from there. It is a moral hazard for any government to get itself into all and any kinds of trouble and then expect the opposition to bail it out.

It's very fair. It is not the job of the 'opposition' to oppose: it it to do what they think is right for the country. And indeed, they frequently do vote with the government, particularly after amendments.

Sadly, too many politicians think that doing what is right for the country really means doing what is right for their party, regardless of the harm it may cause the country. Oddly enough, something you could not accuse the ERGers of.
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

A two stage referendum.
    Deal or no deal
    If no deal wins the second referendum is remain or leave.
    TGOHF said:

My conclusion therefore is the obvious one that Plan B is a Remain/Deal referendum,

The flaw in that plan is that it would peeve many many Conservative MPs and many many voters who would be quite angry.

Nobody much would campaign for the deal - remain would probably win due to apathy - and the party would disintegrate.

It does kick the can down the road for a couple of months so it's right up TM's street.
    Since there are in fact three possible outcomes, there should be three outcomes on the ballot.

1. Leave the EU, accepting the terms of the deal
    2. Leave the EU, rejecting the terms of the deal
    3. Remain in the EU.

No-one will feel left out. May should go for this and promote the Goldilocks option.
  • The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that there is only one possible plan for Theresa May and the government if and when the deal is voted down. A general election to get a public mandate for the deal just doesn't work as a plan - Tory MPs, having just trashed the deal, are hardly going to campaign a few weeks later in support of it. and if the PM tried it, she would split the party. However, there is no realistic possibility of the deal being renegotiated in any substantive way, and leaving with no deal is unthinkable. Asking for extra time of itself won't square this circle. Therefore the choice is stark: either get the deal agreed some other way, or ask the EU if we can please reverse this Brexit malarkey. In terms of avoiding utter disaster, either would work if there is sufficient democratic cover.

The legal challenges alone would take you way past 29th March. And if you do not include a No Deal option the hardliners will bring down May like a shot.
    Agreed, but what other options are there?
  • TGOHF said:

Again, what other options are there?
    Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Since there are in fact three possible outcomes, there should be three outcomes on the ballot.

3. Remain in the EU.

No-one will feel left out. May should go for this and promote the Goldilocks option.
    What about people who wanted to leave but with a different deal?
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

3. Remain in the EU.

What about people who wanted to leave but with a different deal?
    They vote for 2
    Scott_P said:
    My God - someone infiltrated an ERG meeting? I love the banner "Clinging to power". Brilliant :D
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Sean_F said:

This is the point. The question/s to be put are not at all clear, and in what order, and under what system? Two stage French style, vote? AV? All options unfamiliar to an electorate used to FPTP.

It's a total zoo, and a dangerous one at that.

Imagine a 51/49 style result either way with an option left off, (or half an option if we are allowed to consider "minimal deals on planes etc), carried out under an unfamiliar voting system that genuinely confused people. If we think it's fraught now just wait till people cry foul over the process itself - and have justification for doing so.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547

Yes I think this is how things will go. Hard to see how a second referendum can be avoided. And hard to see how remain would not beat deal by a significant margin, helped on its way by those leavers who have helpfully pointed out that the deal is worse than remain.

edited November 2018

TGOHF said:

May could say we're preparing for "No deal". She could offer a second vote to the commons, she might resign.
    All the options look terrible to her.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited November 2018
    philiph said:

Remain as unhappy members, difficult members, a split nation who are members because they couldn't get the goodies they want. If you were the EU would you let us remain without some long term commitment? Say no more referendum for 10 years? Could we give that commitment?

No, I wouldn't. Because:
    1) A short-term headache is trying to either go away or postponing itself, which is one less thing to worry about, so risk messing it up?
    2) You know governments can't bind their successors, so there's no point in making someone make a commitment they can't keep
    3) It's pretty obvious that after Cameron ended an otherwise promising career by calling an EU referendum, no PM is going to be trying anything like that that again any time soon

I don't support another referendum at all but if we have to have one it should be Deal vs No Deal. We already asked the question about whether or not we leave.

Yes I think this is how things will go. Hard to see how a second referendum can be avoided. And hard to see how remain would not beat deal by a significant margin, helped on its way by those leavers who have helpfully pointed out that the deal is worse than remain.

The problem is I cannot see how a second referendum can realistically occur, yet alone be conclusive. The problems Richard mentions in his post are just too great. I'm also really doubtful if the EU will leave all options open whilst we bicker amongst ourselves.

We're being utterly unreasonable.
  • On topic, I'm not convinced that Beto isn't still value at around 9-10 on Betfair. Being funded purely by small individual donations is a huge asset. Do the traditional "rules" of primaries still hold in the era of social media and Trump?

I do agree with @rcs1000's other tips though (Klobuchar / Brown).

TGOHF said:

I think we are at the point where - if she fails to get her vote through - particularly by a wide margin - that 2 years is sufficient to judge Mrs May.

She has failed to bring enough of her party and the country along with her - she needs to go and someone else needs to have a chance to do it in a better way - not just the deal details but the selling of the deal.

It would require someone quite different from Mrs May and her unispiring "grey management" approach.

The time for aching hand wringing pragmatism is over.

I don't support another referendum at all but if we have to have one it should be Deal vs No Deal. We already asked the question about whether or not we leave.

There are three possible outcomes today. All three should be put to the people.

That is what I thought, you are right. I have changed my mind because of the extraordinary behaviour of those Tory MPs who have decided to vote against the deal. That closes off the only way Brexit could reasonably be implemented, unless it can be salvaged through the referendum (although I think in practice the result would now be to cancel Brexit).
    So because our democratically elected representatives don't like the deal and want to go for a no deal bare bones exit, then that option must somehow be removed completely in a referendum stitch up.

Xenon said:

Scott_P said:

Which Aces were those?

There are not even two prominent politicians in that photo who share each other's views. That is what is wrong with this process: Cameron launched the referendum and later May triggered Article 50 without either of them troubling to establish what Brexit ought to look like. There is no consensus even amongst leavers, even amongst the ERG or UKIP, and there never was.
    Oh, what a tangled web we weave
    When first we practise to deceive!
    edited November 2018

TOPPING said:

It's very fair. It is not the job of the 'opposition' to oppose: it it to do what they think is right for the country. And indeed, they frequently do vote with the government, particularly after amendments.

Sadly, too many politicians think that doing what is right for the country really means doing what is right for their party, regardless of the harm it may cause the country. Oddly enough, something you could not accuse the ERGers of.
    But Labour thinks that what is right for the country is not to have had a Conservative government in the first place. Once either side frames any policy (Brexit, nationalising Tescos) as in the national interest then according to your view of how it should work, national politics would grind to a halt.

:+1:

I also moved on a bit. I am not sure we will get a referendum. I do not think we have the time, I suspect that, ECJ willing, we might simply have to ask for the process to be stopped and then Westminster takes the consequences.

I suspect that the bulk of the population will not care, they have bigger concerns called "Everyday life"
  • It damages democracy that those in favour of Leaving said this wouldn’t happen because we held all the cards etc.

Which Aces were those?
    Good question. Others are laughing without thinking but you've asked the good question.

Ace of Hearts: This was our choice.
    May has acted afraid and recalcitrant, like she's worried but 'doing her duty' in doing what the voters said, instead of doing what she wanted. This makes it very easy for the EU to threaten negative consequences and get her to back down as a result. For someone who campaigned for this to happen the idea of threatening consequences would have been dismissed as "we know that, we chose it".

Ace of Diamonds: Money, money, money
    Unlike Greece which desperately needed money from the ECB to keep their banks open and pay the bills, the EU wants our money.

Ace of Spades: First mover.
    The vote caught the EU off guard, the genuinely weren't expecting we'd actually do it, and following that they waited for us to propose our solutions. We didn't do so. We waited, stalled and May chose to 'keep her cards close to her chest' until belatedly the Commission got fed up and came up with their own proposals which then have become the outcome. Had May come up with a fleshed our proposal like Chequers when she invoked Article 50 that would have set the groundwork to build on, instead of chucking away that opportunity and waiting for the Commission to do her work for her.

Ace of Clubs: Parliament.
    @IanB2 suggested that a 'real Brexiteer' being able to command support in Parliament better was a 'flying unicorn' but of course that would have happened. Parliament was top ace for May. The Tories had an overall majority in Parliament and an opposition led by Jeremy Corbyn who was no confidenced by almost all his own MPs but clung on. She chucked away an overall majority, a 20+ point lead in the polls, a divided opposition and an opposition leader who wasn't taken seriously by calling an election then failing to turn up to the debates or win a majority.
    Leaving with PM's deal, apparently can't happen

Leaving with no deal, apparently can't happen.

Remain, apparently can't happen.

One of these must happen
  • I don't support another referendum at all but if we have to have one it should be Deal vs No Deal. We already asked the question about whether or not we leave.

This has to get through parliament, and the vast majority of MPs quite rightly view No Deal as unthinkable.
  • Scott_P said:

One of these must happen

No there's a fourth option.

Leaving with a different deal can get through Parliament.
  • Jonathan said:

There are three possible outcomes today. All three should be put to the people.
    If there is a referenum it should be a two stage question

1)- Do you still wish to leave the EU?

if 'Yes' to 1 then

2) Do you wish to accept the negioated deal with the EU

If No to do then no-deal.
    Scott_P said:

One of these must happen

The May/Hammond "can't do" attitude is spreading.
    edited November 2018
    Scott_P said:

One of these must happen

We will leave with May's deal.

Edit: how, you ask! Well of course I have absolutely no idea but when you have ruled out two impossible things before breakfast...
    TOPPING said:

But Labour thinks that what is right for the country is not to have had a Conservative government in the first place. Once either side frames any policy (Brexit, nationalising Tescos) as in the national interest then according to your view of how it should work, national politics would grind to a halt.

Labour cannot turn back the clock. For right or wrong, we've had a Conservative government. They need to deal with the reality that faces them.

As for the rest, I'm unsure you're representing my view of how it should work correctly ...

There is no other deal. You still want a unicorn, even now.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited November 2018
    This two week fakey-election campaign is going about as well for May as the real one went.

The thing is, May has spent two years painting herself into a corner using landmines, and now she has to come out of the corner. And the landmines are going off, one by one, and she's running out of limbs.

It's not even lunchtime, and today she's stepped on Sir Michael Fallon, Donald Trump, Gavin Barwell's pathetic pleading to a half-empty audience of Labour MPs, and trying and failing to pull a bait and switch on the Attorney General's legal advice.

The danger is that ridiculing the deal has now achieved critical mass. Once that happens, everything becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, every event gets construed in terms of how it confirms the narrative.

Even worse, countervailing narratives can no longer get a foothold. MPs who were minded to support or abstain on the deal, now feel they can or must join in the pile-on or be ridiculed/left out of the fun.

Nobody wants to be on the wrong side of history, and Parliament seems to be about to award May an absolutely momentous shellacking of unparalleled historical brutality.

For comparison, Neville Chamberlain lost a VONC in the house by 83 votes, which as the time was considered an unparalleled political failure and abject humiliation.

May is on course to nearly double that record. She's going to massively outstrip the mauling of a Prime Minister whose crime was to appease Hitler.

Scott_P said:

One of these must happen

That one definitely can't happen.

If there is a referenum it should be a two stage question

1)- Do you still wish to leave the EU?

if 'Yes' to 1 then

2) Do you wish to accept the negioated deal with the EU

If No to do then no-deal.

Fraught with difficulty. The order of the questions materially affects the result.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

@Richard_Nabavi - "Agreed, but what other options are there?"

Take a time machine and tell Ted Heath not having a referendum in 1972 was dumb beyond belief, and we were going to start having lots of them in future anyway despite his objections then, and that also he should've thought very hard about actually meaning "not joining without the whole hearted consent of the British people" rather than relying on Roy Jenkins and his mates in the lobby. Then telling all PM's since not to do anything by the way of signing treaties with the EU without having a referendum at each stage (like the sensible Irish), as all you would be doing is sweeping more gunpowder under the carpet for the future.

In other words, very unhelpfully, I wouldn't start from here(!)
  • philiph said:

A two stage referendum.
    Deal or no deal
    If no deal wins the second referendum is remain or leave.

The PM would have to be nuts to go for that because it encourages Remain enthusiasts to vote No Deal to get their referendum. There's no need to get clever with conditionals and things, just do two rounds.

Go back to the EU, say this deal is unacceptable and needs to change.
  • Xenon said:

So because our democratically elected representatives don't like the deal and want to go for a no deal bare bones exit, then that option must somehow be removed completely in a referendum stitch up.

If an option can't get through parliament, it can't get through parliament. Reality trumps indignation, even in cases where the indignation is justified.
    Scott_P said:

One of these must happen

Don't forget: Renegotiating the deal - apparently can't happen
  • Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

One of these must happen

That one definitely can't happen.
    Why not? If it addresses Parliament's concerns it can get through.
This discussion has been closed.