Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The question supporters of a ‘People’s vote’ need to answer. I

Comments

• Options
    Mr. D, not so bad, although I'm irked my PC earphones decided to go iffy. Glad I've got a second set.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    alex. said:

Re Labour and a second referendum. It should be pointed out that if they are currently trying to put down amendments to make “No deal” impossible (whether or not you agree they can do that) then one thing is certain - there cannot be any referendum supported by them which includes “no deal” as an option.

A second vote looks unlikely, but still possible. If it proceeds it will, however, and despite the desperate posts from the leave headbangers on this site, be deal v Remain.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    IanB2 said:

I don't see much doubt that if a specific Leave proposition is put to the people and accepted, that's the path we will take.

But we must leave before we start negotiating the future relationship. Brexit is by definition blind. The only way to discover what it means is to do it.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    I don’t know why anyone thinks that a Scottish vote to leave the U.K. would do anything other than end up like Brexit on speed a couple of years down the line. I suppose the only difference is that it will be easier for Unionists to move to England than it is for remainers to move to the EU
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    IanB2 said:

alex. said:

Re Labour and a second referendum. It should be pointed out that if they are currently trying to put down amendments to make “No deal” impossible (whether or not you agree they can do that) then one thing is certain - there cannot be any referendum supported by them which includes “no deal” as an option.

A second vote looks unlikely, but still possible. If it proceeds it will, however, and despite the desperate posts from the leave headbangers on this site, be deal v Remain.
    Now that is a truly ironic post.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes.

I am opposed to a 2nd ref but if it does somehow come to pass then the binary 'Deal vs Remain' question is the only one that I can see being put.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    There won't be a 'deal vs remain' referendum. Even the BBC would smell that rat.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    I think the SNP has been 180 degrees wrong on how to play Brexit.

They should have said, fine it has been a UK wide decision to Brexit. So we will support the Brexit process.

Then when Brexit has been enacted March 2019 with the help of their votes, they should say "....but Scotland never wanted to leave - and still wants to be an EU member. We will have a Referendum on that. If it passes, then Scotland will have to cede from the Union to implement that rejoin."
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    dr_spyn said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I see they are at it again today in France.

The stereotypical Frenchman is always at it.

And they riot a lot as well...
    Even by French standards, where rioting is a national pastime, the footage on twitter is really really bad.
    Tim Montgomerie has made a faux pas though:

https://twitter.com/adriannorris/status/1069204466098941952?s=19

My granny went to Paris and came back with a bloody T Shirt.
    Even Guardian writers are asking what went wrong for Macron.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/28/emmanuel-macron-populism-french-president

The metropolitan Paris elite vs the poor and those living in rural France. Remind us of anything?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

I am opposed to a 2nd ref but if it does somehow come to pass then the binary 'Deal vs Remain' question is the only one that I can see being put.
    And about 50,000 Tory members burn their memberships......
  • Options
    edited December 2018

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

Anyone want to suggest any more spin off benefits?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

True, but beside the point. There's no way in hell that May or anyone could go to the public and say you can have my crappy deal or you can remain. It's a cartoon booby trap we can all see a mile off. The scenario is an absolute remainer pipe dream. If that is their Machiavellian master plan, I feel sorry for them.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

There won't be a 'deal vs remain' referendum. Even the BBC would smell that rat.

We could have multiple leave options - May's deal, no deal, negotiated WTO.

But why do we assume remain is the status quo and there is only one remain option? After putting them through two and a half years of hassle why do we assume in our hour of humiliation when we go crawling back to stay in won't the EU seek their pound of flesh - ending the rebate at the next budget round for a start.

We have debated what leave means - but was does remain on the ballot mean? Should we have

remain as long as we keep the rebate?
    remain even if we lose the rebate?
    remain plus join Schengen and the Euro - full EU?

Because I wouldn't be surprise if we did go back cap in hand that some price might well be exacted?

• Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    Can anyone clarify for me, assuming we take the deal, when would we leave the CFP and the CAP?

- 29th March 2019?
    - at the end of the transition period?
    - if/when we leave the temporary customs arrangement?

Thanks in anticipation
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

But why do we assume remain is the status quo and there is only one remain option? After putting them through two and a half years of hassle why do we assume in our hour of humiliation when we go crawling back to stay in won't the EU seek their pound of flesh - ending the rebate at the next budget round for a start.

We have debated what leave means - but was does remain on the ballot mean? Should we have

Because I wouldn't be surprise if we did go back cap in hand that some price might well be exacted?

Making any Remain option even more vanishingly unlikely.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

True, but beside the point. There's no way in hell that May or anyone could go to the public and say you can have my crappy deal or you can remain. It's a cartoon booby trap we can all see a mile off. The scenario is an absolute remainer pipe dream. If that is their Machiavellian master plan, I feel sorry for them.
    The withdrawal agreement would be the same for any orderly Brexit, even if you tear up May's Chequers 2.0 political declaration.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

Where would she get the HoC votes to put those two options on the ballot?

100 Tories + DUP will already have said no to her deal.

Labour will have said no to her deal. John McD is coming around to 2nd vote it seems, but bet he wont want May's deal on the ballot.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Remaining without the rebate is a hugely smaller price than the leavers will force upon us for following through with their lifelong obsession. Anything else is for the future.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    No UK Government could, with good conscious, endanger their citizens by putting 'No Deal' on a ballot paper. To suggest otherwise is just dangerous.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

I might re-join the Conservative Party and get others who are Conservative inclined voters who look upon Brexit as severely damaging to join or re-join as well. We cannot understand Brexit people who want lower economic growth, less influence for the country in international relations and the diminution of the UKs ability to mitigate European integration and hence power over the UK. Brexit is based on ignorance, non European Immigration will replace European Immigration, far from getting your country back ever more people are going to arrive and they may well establish diasporas that do not integrate as well as Europeans....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

brendan16 said:

Remaining without the rebate is a hugely smaller price than the leavers will force upon us for following through with their lifelong obsession. Anything else is for the future.
    + 1
  • Options
    Mr. Taxman, calling the other side ignorant is unlikely to persuade them to change their mind, any more than calling them xenophobes and racists (or traitors, the other way).
  • Options
    Schards said:

Can anyone clarify for me, assuming we take the deal, when would we leave the CFP and the CAP?

- 29th March 2019?

Thanks in anticipation

End of the transition period (which can be extended up to the end of 2022).
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

IanB2 said:

brendan16 said:

+ 1
    Our net membership fee without rebate would be entirely unjustifiable. Out of whack for any other EU country.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

The withdrawal agreement would be the same for any orderly Brexit, even if you tear up May's Chequers 2.0 political declaration.
    Neatly making the case for a so called 'disorderly' one, just as Cameron's faux negotiation made the case for Brexit. Though I hardly see what is disorderly about simply doing something we'll have been planning to do for several years.
  • Options
    Remainer meltdown on here today.

What if no deal turns out to be another millenium bug? BBC film crews on the day after desperately trying to find some distressed no deal victims. What if the drinking water remains drinkable, and watery?
  • Options
    Mr. 1983, leaving without any agreement will be more difficult than it might've been due to May's prevarication and indecisiveness.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

I might re-join the Conservative Party and get others who are Conservative inclined voters who look upon Brexit as severely damaging to join or re-join as well. We cannot understand Brexit people who want lower economic growth, less influence for the country in international relations and the diminution of the UKs ability to mitigate European integration and hence power over the UK. Brexit is based on ignorance, non European Immigration will replace European Immigration, far from getting your country back ever more people are going to arrive and they may well establish diasporas that do not integrate as well as Europeans....
    We shouldn't be trying to 'mitigate EU integration'. The eurozone has some political imperatives it has to work through, and a UK, smug with its opt outs and rebate, attempting to frustrate those imperatives would be very damaging to the European project. As for immigration, most people want 'control', not necessarily 'less'. As long as people can contribute I don't gaf what colour they are.

I appreciate that this is a long chewed over and flavourless debate but you've struck a nerve :).
  • Options

What if no deal turns out to be another millenium bug? BBC film crews on the day after desperately trying to find some distressed no deal victims. What if the drinking water remains drinkable, and watery?

But what if it doesn't?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

Where would she get the HoC votes to put those two options on the ballot?

100 Tories + DUP will already have said no to her deal.

Labour will have said no to her deal. John McD is coming around to 2nd vote it seems, but bet he wont want May's deal on the ballot.
    Labour can’t go from “legislating to avoid no deal” to putting no deal as an option in a referendum. Labour’s position on the deal is nonsensical anyway, since the WA would be identical if they were in power. They might do something different post transition but that isn’t what the withdrawal agreement is about. With the exception of the backstop, and Labour’s position on that is permanent customs union anyway (ie they wouldn’t even require the Eu to grant “permission” to leave it, they would prevent us from even asking!
  • Options

To believe this, you have to believe that the EU27 countries will still continue to treat us in every respect as if we are still a member in the days and weeks after we leave with no deal.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

The film crew would go to the local corner shop, remove all the Mars Bars and say look "Disaster no Mars Bars."
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Mr. Taxman, calling the other side ignorant is unlikely to persuade them to change their mind, any more than calling them xenophobes and racists (or traitors, the other way).

I have not called anyone a traitor, even the ones who call for the breakup of the United Kingdom. I have to say and the immigration figures released recently support the hypothesis that leaving the EU will result in higher immigration from non European countries. If people were voting to stop immigration, they were ignorant as they did not understand the implications of voting Leave. Likewise the ease of negotiating trade agreements was based on ignorance. Indeed, even the repatriation of powers has been deeply disappointing for the Brexit supporters in relation to the current deal on the table. Brexit is therefore based on naivety at the least but in my opinion more likely ignorance and downright stupidity. I do not expect to change minds on this forum...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

When I was in East London it was the "non Europeans" that many leavers seemed to think that Brexit would get rid of. At the same time as the Leave campaign was telling local Asian voters that Brexit would allow lots more of their relatives to arrive.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

No UK Government could, with good conscious, endanger their citizens by putting 'No Deal' on a ballot paper. To suggest otherwise is just dangerous.

Yes citizens were really endangered before 1975....yawn
  • Options
    Schards said:

- 29th March 2019?

Thanks in anticipation

My understanding is we would be leaving CAP more or less instantly, except Northern Ireland.

We would however stay in the CFP for the transition period, and there is no very clear definition of what would happen after that at this time. However, the Declaration accepts the UK would be 'an independent coastal state.'

I think probably what will ultimately happen is that we will stay in a version of the CFP but instead of it being enforced (or rather, 'enforced') by officials in e.g. Spain or Holland it will be enforced by the UK, which on its own would end numerous abuses and criminal behaviours.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

IanB2 said:

brendan16 said:

+ 1
    But why not let the people decide in the 'people's vote'? Remain may not be the status quo we have now - so perhaps we also need to negotiate a remain deal before we vote in the people's vote.

Is it remain keeping the rebate - or remain with the loss of the rebate. Surely the people need to know all the facts before they vote?
  • Options

Yes, they could, and I don't think they would have a choice in the matter. Just as they would have no choice but to put Labour on the ballot for the next election despite the damage they would do if they won.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

The world has changed. We joined the EEC with a long transition period. We didn't join all the institutions overnight just like we shouldn't leave all the institutions overnight.

Your avatar however suggests I will be unable to reason with you.
  • Options

Mr. 1983, leaving without any agreement will be more difficult than it might've been due to May's prevarication and indecisiveness.

Maybe, but I dare say not really as difficult as it would seem.
  • Options

To believe this, you have to believe that the EU27 countries will still continue to treat us in every respect as if we are still a member in the days and weeks after we leave with no deal.
    It's not really the EU27 countries though is it? We do relatively small amounts of trade with most of 'em (our exports to Guernsey are 3x our exports to Czechia).

People are very fond of pointing out the blindingly obvious about things like the gravity model of trade, but geography didn't change when the EU lurched into the sunlight. Our important partners are the usual suspects. Cyprus, Malta, Czechia, Slovakia et al, less so.

I don't want to see 'no deal Brexit', or at least not the NO-DEALS-WHATSOEVER worst case scenario, but we wouldn't need 27 plates spinning; just bilateral arrangements with said usual suspects - assuming they were willing ofc.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/internationaltrade/articles/whodoestheuktradewith/2017-02-21
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yes, they could, and I don't think they would have a choice in the matter. Just as they would have no choice but to put Labour on the ballot for the next election despite the damage they would do if they won.
    They couldn't because it doesn't mean anything. No deal at all? Only some deals? Only a few bilateral arrangements? It solves nothing.

Norway+Customs Union without a referendum *with* freedom of movement is the clear and only way forward after the Government is humiliated in Parliament.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

I have not called anyone a traitor, even the ones who call for the breakup of the United Kingdom. I have to say and the immigration figures released recently support the hypothesis that leaving the EU will result in higher immigration from non European countries. If people were voting to stop immigration, they were ignorant as they did not understand the implications of voting Leave. Likewise the ease of negotiating trade agreements was based on ignorance. Indeed, even the repatriation of powers has been deeply disappointing for the Brexit supporters in relation to the current deal on the table. Brexit is therefore based on naivety at the least but in my opinion more likely ignorance and downright stupidity. I do not expect to change minds on this forum...
    Lower EU immigration doesn't automatically mean an increase in non-EU immigration. It's a nonsense argument.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

They couldn't because it doesn't mean anything. No deal at all? Only some deals? Only a few bilateral arrangements? It solves nothing.

Norway+Customs Union without a referendum *with* freedom of movement is the clear and only way forward after the Government is humiliated in Parliament.
    From 30th March 2019 or after a transition period?
  • Options
    John_M said:

It's not really the EU27 countries though is it? We do relatively small amounts of trade with most of 'em (our exports to Guernsey are 3x our exports to Czechia).

People are very fond of pointing out the blindingly obvious about things like the gravity model of trade, but geography didn't change when the EU lurched into the sunlight. Our important partners are the usual suspects. Cyprus, Malta, Czechia, Slovakia et al, less so.

I don't want to see 'no deal Brexit', or at least not the NO-DEALS-WHATSOEVER worst case scenario, but we wouldn't need 27 plates spinning; just bilateral arrangements with said usual suspects - assuming they were willing ofc.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/internationaltrade/articles/whodoestheuktradewith/2017-02-21
    If we need agreements with France, Ireland, Belgium, the Netherlands, etc, then we need to work with the EU, because they rightly see it as the best way to protect their interests.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

After an extension of Article 50.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

When I was in East London it was the "non Europeans" that many leavers seemed to think that Brexit would get rid of. At the same time as the Leave campaign was telling local Asian voters that Brexit would allow lots more of their relatives to arrive.
    Indeed, I spoke to one bloke who thought Brexit would mean all the non Europeans would "go home". I have encountered many people who voted for Brexit and simply did not understand what they were voting on, they thought it was like a decision to exit a building, they simply do not understand the institutions, obligations and benefits of being in the EU. The profoundly depressing thing is I have met some people who voted for Brexit and are now complaining about the effects on their lives of Brexit. I realise Brexit advocates on this board are more sophisticated than the examples I cite but for many their decision to support Brexit was based on ignorance.
  • Options

Gina Miller said this morning that if a referendum is held it has to be a choice of - deal - no deal - remain

Furthermore the HOC is split almost 33% to each choice

I would also state, yet again, it is in law and is default unless the HOC comes to it senses

The easiest way of closing all this down is to pass TM deal but of coursevno deal goes on any ballot
  • Options

It is possible to agree with this analysis but nevertheless feel it important that the 2016 referendum is respected and that we leave the EU.

I know for a fact it's possible.
  • Options

Gina Miller said this morning that if a referendum is held it has to be a choice of - deal - no deal - remain

I would also state, yet again, it is in law and is default unless the HOC comes to it senses

The easiest way of closing all this down is to pass TM deal but of coursevno deal goes on any ballot
    Gina Miller isn't the fountain of all knowledge.

We all know the amount of disinformation 'fake news' that would be used in favour of a 'no deal' in a referendum of that nature.

Why are we still talking about May's deal like it will pass? It clearly wont.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    brendan16 said:

IanB2 said:

brendan16 said:

+ 1
    But why not let the people decide in the 'people's vote'? Remain may not be the status quo we have now - so perhaps we also need to negotiate a remain deal before we vote in the people's vote.

Is it remain keeping the rebate - or remain with the loss of the rebate. Surely the people need to know all the facts before they vote?
    We managed to get ourselves into this mess without knowing what voting to Leave actually meant, somehow it would not be surprising if we supposedly got ourselves out of this mess by not knowing what a vote to Remain meant.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

Indeed, I spoke to one bloke who thought Brexit would mean all the non Europeans would "go home". I have encountered many people who voted for Brexit and simply did not understand what they were voting on, they thought it was like a decision to exit a building, they simply do not understand the institutions, obligations and benefits of being in the EU. The profoundly depressing thing is I have met some people who voted for Brexit and are now complaining about the effects on their lives of Brexit. I realise Brexit advocates on this board are more sophisticated than the examples I cite but for many their decision to support Brexit was based on ignorance.
    Yawn, you happened to meet people who confirmed your own prejudice.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

To be honest those ultra brexiteers/ukippers in the party will not be missed by many of us
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

The UK economy was not as intertwined pre 1975 as it is now. When the UK joined the EC, which evolved into the EU, its primary goal was to create a vast market for European countries to trade within without impediments to trade. Forty years of integration that suddenly unravels in a No deal is going to be catastrophic for some parts of the economy.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

The Brexit advocates on the board drone on about the will of the people and then sneer at the same people watching Mrs Brown’s Boys. You may draw your own conclusion about their selectivity.

• Options
    JayWJayW Posts: 33
    edited December 2018
    SunnyJim said:

Yeah, that's not going to happen. If we do leave the EU we will be rejoining in absolute max ten years (and probably less than 5). And the backlash from the younger generations against the dying political forces that brought us there is going to resound for a generation at least.

The ratchet will only realistically turn one way post-exit and it isn't going to towards the EU.

There is going to be electoral gold in promising to right perceived wrongs in the deal even if they are of little economic consequence.

Conversely the pathways for rejoining are going to be limited...

1. No Conservative leader is ever going to be elected by the membership/party on a platform of rejoining.

2. A new Labour leader might but my feeling is that the downsides electorally of campaigning on a manifesto of another referendum/direct entry will outweigh the gains from the ever dwindling band of remainers who would still be making the subject a priority.

3. The Lib Dems will in all likelihood become the net gainers from disaffected remainers who cannot reconcile themselves to the result.

The reason remainers in parliament are fighting so hard is that they realise that once we're out the chances of persuading the public to rejoin are very, very slim.

They are in last chance saloon.

Quite the opposite. This is the Gammons' Last Stand. Every day that passes the electoral maths moves incrementally towards remain. If they don't achieve their beloved festival of mindless xenophobia right now, it will never happen. As it is, best case scenario the whole project will be overturned within the decade and the reactionary bigoted politics of deluded nostalgia that gave the whole disaster life will be despised for a generation, along with its dwindling proponents.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

I don't say anything to them about their decision to vote for Brexit. Quite often they bring it up. The only yawning I see is the gap between reality and your dogmatic perception of how Trade, Immigration and the economy will work....
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited December 2018
    kjohnw said:

Why don’t you bugger off back to 1975. Equating the EU to Nazis as per your picture is the mark of a premier grade Brexiteer.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

A lot of Tory members did not renew because of Brexit and the ERG loons within the Party, I am one such lapsed member. I won't renew again ever. I guess I am no loss to a Party bent on self harm.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

The Taxman is spot on.
  • Options
    matt said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

The Brexit advocates on the board drone on about the will of the people and then sneer at the same people watching Mrs Brown’s Boys. You may draw your own conclusion about their selectivity.

Can't say I have noticed any comments on Mrs Brown's boys here recently? I wonder what his/her views are about the backstop?

Its certainly a very sneered at show even though it tops the Xmas ratings every year now - although I expect that's probably more the case amongst the remain voting London chatterati than the average leave or remain voter.
  • Options

Cannae see it masel'.
    Of course there's been lots of things happening recently which I didn't foresee, only for them to magically materialise before me (none of them good).

I can see it happening if the SNP receive over 50% of the popular vote, I think we'll be headed for a whole heap of mess if the SNP win a majority of seats on circa 37% of the vote.

Whilst I don't count yourself in the latter, I suspect quite a few Nats will get enraged if the latter threshold is met but not enacted on by the SNP which will make Scotland unpleasant.
    Well, to put it another way, as long as Nicola Sturgeon is leader of the SNP and FM there won't be any leaps into the UDI mire.

If there's a no deal Brexit then we're all in a world of various kinds of pain. As someone else has pointed out below there's already currently a Holyrood majority for the right to call Indy ref II, and Sturgeon also has the option of resigning to force a snap Holyrood election. I'd guess various scenarios have been wargamed.

Not the least pleasure of Indy ref II actually taking place would be the entire raison d'etre of Ruth and her dwarves being entirely dissolved.
  • Options

Any 3 way referendum really has to be in two stages - an “AV” type scenario has the problem that people might be forced to vote against their preferred option to avert their most disliked option.

So should be eg.

1) deal yes or no?
    2) if no, remain or leave (with no deal)

Or

1) remain or leave
    2) if leave, deal or no deal

• Options

Gina Miller isn't the fountain of all knowledge.

We all know the amount of disinformation 'fake news' that would be used in favour of a 'no deal' in a referendum of that nature.

Why are we still talking about May's deal like it will pass? It clearly wont.
    In the end it might as it is the only option on the table to stop no deal

You seem to think no deal can be deleted from the equation. It simple cannot
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Lower EU immigration doesn't automatically mean an increase in non-EU immigration. It's a nonsense argument.
    Have you not seen the latest immigration figures from the Office of National Statistics. I think you are in denial or being obtuse about it. I am not going to get the figures for you but if you look at the ONS data you will see European Immigration has fallen, only to be offset by a rise in Non-European Immigration. Whether you like it or not, skill shortages in the UK economy are still inherently visible and the Immigration is only meeting a need.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

In east London many Asians also voted for Brexit as they assumed it would mean fewer eastern Europeans and therefore make Commonwealth immigration easier. Leave nearly won boroughs like Redbridge and Newham. Barking and Dagenham voted 63% leave - but barely 40% of the population now is white British. Its never that simple to box people!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

There is no clear way forward at all. If there was we wouldn't be where we are. I prefer Norway but that is not without it's problems. You cannot just say Norway and it happens, especially as legislation has to pass the HOC by the 29th March or we leave on no deal
  • Options
    JayW said:

SunnyJim said:

Yeah, that's not going to happen. If we do leave the EU we will be rejoining in absolute max ten years (and probably less than 5). And the backlash from the younger generations against the dying political forces that brought us there is going to resound for a generation at least.

The ratchet will only realistically turn one way post-exit and it isn't going to towards the EU.

There is going to be electoral gold in promising to right perceived wrongs in the deal even if they are of little economic consequence.

1. No Conservative leader is ever going to be elected by the membership/party on a platform of rejoining.

2. A new Labour leader might but my feeling is that the downsides electorally of campaigning on a manifesto of another referendum/direct entry will outweigh the gains from the ever dwindling band of remainers who would still be making the subject a priority.

3. The Lib Dems will in all likelihood become the net gainers from disaffected remainers who cannot reconcile themselves to the result.

The reason remainers in parliament are fighting so hard is that they realise that once we're out the chances of persuading the public to rejoin are very, very slim.

Quite the opposite. This is the Gammons' Last Stand. Every day that passes the electoral maths moves incrementally towards remain. If they don't achieve their beloved festival of mindless xenophobia right now, it will never happen. As it is, best case scenario the whole project will be overturned within the decade and the reactionary bigoted politics of deluded nostalgia that gave the whole disaster life will be despised for a generation, along with its dwindling proponents.
    Did you vote Remain by any chance?
  • Options
    edited December 2018

John_M said:

If we need agreements with France, Ireland, Belgium, the Netherlands, etc, then we need to work with the EU, because they rightly see it as the best way to protect their interests.
    We need to bulk buy some extra water cleaner, and whatever the NHS thinks it needs to continue the rather below par job it does of putting people back on the road to recovery.

Beyond that, it's just people and countries acting as the economic units they are. It is foolish for remainers to overplay the 'no deal' hand, but they have not shown an awful lot of common sense up till now, so what should we expect?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

After an extension of Article 50.
    OK. Please explain the process to arrive at an extension of A50 when the EU have said they would only agree a short extension for a referendum or a GE but not at all for further negotiations. As they confirmed in Argentina this weekend, the deal has passed the EU and will not be re-opened
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    John_M said:

JayW said:

SunnyJim said:

Whenever someone uses a racist slur in the first sentence, it's a good sign you can ignore the rest of the post.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    notme said:

IanB2 said:

brendan16 said:

+ 1
    Our net membership fee without rebate would be entirely unjustifiable. Out of whack for any other EU country.
    With tongue firmly in cheek: one could say that if we Remain after all, after The Bus and its claims, we can be judged as willing to pay the gross membership fee without rebate.
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    alex. said:

Any 3 way referendum really has to be in two stages - an “AV” type scenario has the problem that people might be forced to vote against their preferred option to avert their most disliked option.

So should be eg.

1) deal yes or no?
    2) if no, remain or leave (with no deal)

Or

1) remain or leave
    2) if leave, deal or no deal

A second referendum would be a disgrace in these circumstances. It would be Remainers deliberately sinking a deal so they could say a deal isn't possible.
  • Options
    No Deal on the ballot?

Ok, so it's there and shock horror it wins.

EU rings Parliament: "OMG! We simply cannot have this. Tell you what, you can have the deal of the century then. Eat the whole cake today and eat it again tomorrow and every day for ever and ever amen. How's that?"

Parliament: "Sorry. It's No Deal. The People have spoken."

EU: "Oh alright then. But look, how about at least we strike a few quick and dirties to keep the show on the road. Just the essentials. You know, air space, medicines, no mass deportations, travel rights, security, stuff like that. You're cool with that surely to goodness?"

Parliament: "Nope. On yer bike. The people have spoken in a referendum and said it's No Deal. No way will we dishonour a referendum. It would be a scandal. No Deal means No Deal."

:-)

C'mon. Hall of Mirrors.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

John_M said:

We need to bulk buy some extra water cleaner, and whatever the NHS thinks it needs to continue the rather below par job it does of putting people back on the road to recovery. Beyond that, it's just people and countries acting as the economic units they are. It is foolish for remainers to overplay the 'no deal' hand, but they have not shown an awful lot of common sense up till now, so what should we expect?
    This is a pretty good blog from the perspective of a libertarian Brexiteer which explains why you're wrong. Which bit of it do you disagree with?

https://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.com/2018/12/deal-or-no-deal.html

The conclusion is:

There was nothing inevitable about our current predicament and you wouldn't start from here, but now that we're here it would be irresponsible to jump from the frying pan to the fire. The European Commission and the British establishment have won. The Brexiteers have been outmaneuvered. We have lost and it is not worth wrecking the economy and opening the door to socialism to make a point. The only realistic choice now is between remaining in the EU and accepting May's deal. No deal is a no go.
  • Options

Xenon said:

Have you not seen the latest immigration figures from the Office of National Statistics. I think you are in denial or being obtuse about it. I am not going to get the figures for you but if you look at the ONS data you will see European Immigration has fallen, only to be offset by a rise in Non-European Immigration. Whether you like it or not, skill shortages in the UK economy are still inherently visible and the Immigration is only meeting a need.
    It's possible to run a country without adding 300k people every year. It's not a law of nature, it's current government policy which could be changed.
  • Options
    Mr. Taxman, the 'traitor' line is one more commonly used against Remainers by some Leavers. I don't think it's helpful, likewise the stupid/xenophobe line the other way (I only included it in an attempt to make plain I don't think it's a one-way street).
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Theo said:

John_M said:

JayW said:

SunnyJim said:

Whenever someone uses a racist slur in the first sentence, it's a good sign you can ignore the rest of the post.
    The thing is, the word ‘gammon’ ticks all the boxes that would normally constitute a racist epitaph and as such, the people using it would be horrified in other circumstance.

A charcheteristic that’s exclusive to a particular race, is used to humiliate and imply a set of views are a consequence of, and that the holder of this racial characteristic are (to use a left’s term) othered and their views are not worthy of taking seriously.

It doesn’t take much imagination to see how this could be applied in any other context. And what the consequences would be.
  • Options

John_M said:

nse up till now, so what should we expect?
    This is a pretty good blog from the perspective of a libertarian Brexiteer which explains why you're wrong. Which bit of it do you disagree with?

https://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.com/2018/12/deal-or-no-deal.html

The conclusion is:

There was nothing inevitable about our current predicament and you wouldn't start from here, but now that we're here it would be irresponsible to jump from the frying pan to the fire. The European Commission and the British establishment have won. The Brexiteers have been outmaneuvered. We have lost and it is not worth wrecking the economy and opening the door to socialism to make a point. The only realistic choice now is between remaining in the EU and accepting May's deal. No deal is a no go.
    I take issue with him not knowing that the BoE published the criteria for stress testing the banks not a forecast of what would happen. I also take issue with him accepting the Treasury forecasts of the regional hits to GDP whilst they have refused to publish the calcs and assumptions that created the forecast.
  • Options

Mr. Taxman, the 'traitor' line is one more commonly used against Remainers by some Leavers. I don't think it's helpful, likewise the stupid/xenophobe line the other way (I only included it in an attempt to make plain I don't think it's a one-way street).

+1
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    kinabalu said:

No Deal on the ballot?

EU rings Parliament: "OMG! We simply cannot have this. Tell you what, you can have the deal of the century then. Eat the whole cake today and eat it again tomorrow and every day for ever and ever amen. How's that?"

EU: "Oh alright then. But look, how about at least we strike a few quick and dirties to keep the show on the road. Just the essentials. You know, air space, medicines, no mass deportations, travel rights, security, stuff like that. You're cool with that surely to goodness?"

Parliament: "Nope. On yer bike. The people have spoken in a referendum and said it's No Deal. No way will we dishonour a referendum. It would be a scandal. No Deal means No Deal."

C'mon. Hall of Mirrors.

Perhaps it should be "not this deal", rather than "no deal"
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    IanB2 said:

But what if it doesn't?
    Then what does that look like? And if it does look like the UK somehow becoming a cross between Gin lane, Cherobyl, and downtown Somalia overnight, who is really going to be blamed, the people that wanted to leave the EU, or the people who've been running the country so disastrously that leaving a set of customs arrangements (with 3 years' notice) makes that happen?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

But what if it doesn't?
    What does that look like? And if it does look like the UK somehow becoming a cross between Gin lane, Cherobyl, and downtown Somalia overnight, who is really going to be blamed, the people that wanted to leave the EU, or the people who've been running the country so disastrously that leaving a set of customs arrangements (with 3 years' notice) makes that happen?
    Why the f does it matter who “gets the blame” in those circumstances?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

No Deal on the ballot?

C'mon. Hall of Mirrors.

At this point there is no other deal left. It's this deal or no deal, that's been made very clear by the EU. I don't see how a new PM or government will change that. They may be able to shape the long terms deal to be much more favourable than the WA, however, the WA is set in stone. Anyone claiming they can change it is selling a pack of lies.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

It's possible to run a country without adding 300k people every year. It's not a law of nature, it's current government policy which could be changed.
    The best way would be to crash the economy, but it would probably need to crash to African standards to put off the migrants. I am not suggesting we would need to go full South Sudan, Kenya would probably do...
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    matt said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

, less influence for the country in international relations and the diminution of the UKs ability to mitigate European integration and hence power over the UK. Brexit is based on ignorance, non European Immigration will replace European Immigration, far from getting your country back ever more people are going to arrive and they may well establish diasporas that do not integrate as well as Europeans....

My father, who has since died, voted Leave. He knew little of current affairs but was (before the onset of his dementia) very sharp, having successfully run his own business for many years. He had zero knowledge of what the EU did beyond what he read in the Daily Mail.

On the morning after the referendum I patiently explained that Brexit could (and still unfortunately could) lead to a recession which would threaten my business which employs about 70 people. Not surprisingly he was appalled at what he had helped to make happen.

I don’t blame him in any way, but will never forgive the Tory bastards who wilfully mislead him and abused his lack of knowledge.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

No Deal on the ballot?

C'mon. Hall of Mirrors.

At this point there is no other deal left. It's this deal or no deal, that's been made very clear by the EU. I don't see how a new PM or government will change that. They may be able to shape the long terms deal to be much more favourable than the WA, however, the WA is set in stone. Anyone claiming they can change it is selling a pack of lies.
    Agreed, but I was thinking in terms of kinabalu's hypothetical.
  • Options

I hope in that same interview she was asked to apologise for the continuing risk of No Deal Brexit? Without her intervention, May's Deal would be May's Agreement, signed, sealed, delivered.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

No Deal on the ballot?

C'mon. Hall of Mirrors.

Agreed, but I was thinking in terms of kinabalu's hypothetical.
    Well that would basically give the Govt the power to agree ANY deal that wasn’t precisely the deal already agreed. Which then wouldn’t pass the HoC which means another referendum...
  • Options

I don’t blame him in any way, but will never forgive the Tory bastards who wilfully mislead him and abused his lack of knowledge.

On the day after the referendum one of the vox pops from a pub somewhere showed an old man with tears in his eyes saying, "I've got my country back!" It was very poignant but I remember feeling such anger towards the people who made him feel that he'd lost his country in the first place.
  • Options

matt said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Yes.

, ....

My father, who has since died, voted Leave. He knew little of current affairs but was (before the onset of his dementia) very sharp, having successfully run his own business for many years. He had zero knowledge of what the EU did beyond what he read in the Daily Mail.

On the morning after the referendum I patiently explained that Brexit could (and still unfortunately could) lead to a recession which would threaten my business which employs about 70 people. Not surprisingly he was appalled at what he had helped to make happen.

+1
  • Options

On the day after the referendum one of the vox pops from a pub somewhere showed an old man with tears in his eyes saying, "I've got my country back!" It was very poignant but I remember feeling such anger towards the people who made him feel that he'd lost his country in the first place.
    Agreed. Signing the Lisbon Treaty without the promised referendum was a disgrace.
  • Options
    Following the at best questionable logic behind the lamentable campaign for a second EU referendum, any second Scottish independence referendum resulting in a vote for independence would have to be backed by a second referendum on the deal negotiated by the Scottish Government.
  • Options

He was also clearly an immensely tolerant, wise and forgiving father, in a way that perhaps you have yet to understand or appreciate.
  • Options

The film crew would go to the local corner shop, remove all the Mars Bars and say look "Disaster no Mars Bars."
    I think Mars Bars are made in Slough....tha disaster would probably be down to the no-change-there railways being buggered....
  • Options
    RobD said:

But 'Not This Deal' winning does not resolve the impasse.

Also 'The Deal' is just the Withdrawal Agreement. It does not define the all important future relationship.

Which brings me back to my recurring point. No Deal is not suitable for a public vote and neither is The Deal.

So no 2nd referendum. It's superficially attractive but collapses on scrutiny.

Only way to have another EU referendum before we leave that is both defensible and practical is to enter the Tardis, jump back to 2016, and get it done before Cameron bags the slot for his.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Patronising much?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited December 2018
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

But 'Not This Deal' winning does not resolve the impasse.

Also 'The Deal' is just the Withdrawal Agreement. It does not define the all important future relationship.

Which brings me back to my recurring point. No Deal is not suitable for a public vote and neither is The Deal.

So no 2nd referendum. It's superficially attractive but collapses on scrutiny.

Only way to have another EU referendum before we leave that is both defensible and practical is to enter the Tardis, jump back to 2016, and get it done before Cameron bags the slot for his.
    There won’t be a vote.

The default is no deal. Politicians need to grow up and agree a deal, or some side deals, if they want to avoid that.
  • Options

He was also clearly an immensely tolerant, wise and forgiving father, in a way that perhaps you have yet to understand or appreciate.
    What a truly disgusting post.

This discussion has been closed.