Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If TMay has to go quickly then, surely, Javid or Hunt should b

1235»

Comments

• AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    notme said:

Pulpstar said:

Ooh I might get a mini referendum before the vote !

https://twitter.com/JohnMannMP/status/1069321971685568515

These kinds of things get the nutters on both sides going, but not good at sampling the less engaged voter.

They sound ideal for PBers then!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    A great leap forward. Is Trump trolling them?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1069575605199482881
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    notme said:

Considering child poverty is lower now than when they took office, that the changes to personal allowances and national living wage means those earning at the bottom have seen their wages rise quicker, oh and there's absolutely *ZERO* evidence to suggest that there's been any increase in undernourishment rates amongst children.

But facts don't fit the "evil milk-stealing Tory" trope.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Anazina said:

notme said:

Pulpstar said:

Ooh I might get a mini referendum before the vote !

https://twitter.com/JohnMannMP/status/1069321971685568515

These kinds of things get the nutters on both sides going, but not good at sampling the less engaged voter.

They sound ideal for PBers then!
    touché
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    glw said:

notme said:

Considering child poverty is lower now than when they took office, that the changes to personal allowances and national living wage means those earning at the bottom have seen their wages rise quicker, oh and there's absolutely *ZERO* evidence to suggest that there's been any increase in undernourishment rates amongst children.

Poverty Mongering will be their undoing.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,852

Nothing is impossible, as we've repeatedly seen this year, but I think that's unlikely - Corbyn will want to have a shot at getting a deal more tailored to what Labour wants (e.g. fewer restrictions on state aid) by dropping something which Mrs May regarded as a red line (not having as permanent customs union). But if there is an election Labour will need to be pretty specific about it.

Ok. Let's say that would be the Lab offering then.

So IYO what would the Cons manifesto have for brexit?

And who wins?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,676
    notme said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Tbf this nationalist has been pretty quiet recently

Unlike this one...

https://twitter.com/ali_harper/status/1069287917359648770
    Tories prefer to be promoting themselves opening foodbanks whilst pretending it is a great achievement
    https://twitter.com/UpTheWorkers/status/1069366748363845632
    assume you got that bollox direct from your CCHQ handbook
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793

John_M said:

currystar said:

Sean_F said:

Free migration has never been popular among the voters.

I think we've learned the hard way that attempting to placate extremism doesn't work and can backfire spectacularly.

I think what has never been adequately addressed is the reason why the UK's benefits, housing and healthcare systems are so unduly strained by what should be a reasonably sustainable level of immigration, especially as compared to other EU nations.

I think there's been a real public policy failure here. Blaming immigration allowed politicians to ignore serious structural problems in our services for decades, and here we are.
    300,000 a year is reasonably sustainable?
    I mean, other EU nations seem to be able to cope with proportionate levels of immigration. We cannot- and I don't think UK politicians have ever seriously engaged with why.
    Name the other EU nations with our population density and out net migration rate.
    Not directly responding to you, but for those interested, here's a useful link:

http://bruegel.org/2017/12/how-the-eu-has-become-an-immigration-area/

Gives a per-country breakdown.
    Fascinating. By my reading of the graph the only EU nation with comparable migration rates to us are Luxembourg (micronation, not really a comparison for anything) and Sweden. No other nation I can see have had our sustained rates of migration.

Second part of my question was population density.
    UK 395 people per square kilometre.
    Sweden 22 people per square kilometre.

So doesn't look like, despite grabcocque's claims to the contrary, that any other is comparable to us.
    Looking at the graphs, that doesn't seem correct for sustained rates of immigration. Note that the y-axis changes in size when you click along.
    - Austria looks broadly comparable with a greater peak of severity
    - Denmark looks comparable
    - Sweden looks comparable
    - Germany - less time (a few years less back) but significantly greater severity in recent years
    - Ireland, from a bit earlier than us, until the GFC; now starting to return to trend
    - Luxembourg is far more sustained than us - lasting twice as long with a severity four times greater
    - Malta, other than two brief spikes downwards, more severe than us for longer
    - Spain had it far, far greater than us for a comparable amount of time until the GFC, when it dropped of a cliff. But it is returning to trend.

Haven't done population density yet.
    glw said:

notme said:

LOL, Tories and facts are strangers, you fan boys of CCHQ mouth the lies you are spouted from the nasty party. Ask your servants how they are doing.
    notme said:

glw said:

notme said:

Poverty Mongering will be their undoing.
    Away you halfwit.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    malcolmg said:

LOL, Tories and facts are strangers, you fan boys of CCHQ mouth the lies you are spouted from the nasty party. Ask your servants how they are doing.

Wide of the mark as per usual.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

New Thread

This discussion has been closed.