Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As if things weren’t complicated enough

13»

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

"Herefordshire is more rural than Northumberland? As I said. Hexham JCP covers an area bigger than Herefordshire. And it is the only one."

It depends, of course, on how you define rurality. I think Herefordshire might be unique in England in having no high rise buildings (more than, say, ten storeys high), and no official length of motorway (unless you count the Ross spur (which some don't))

In other words its complicated. Northumberland would surely win on other metrics. Population density?

Isle of Wight has no motorways and only one extremely short stretch of dual carriageway outside the hospital. And no buildings more than ten storeys high afaik
    But the IoW is part of Hants.
    Well, if you’re going to use real county boundaries and not fiat ones, then Northumberland does contain motorways and high-rise buildings as its southern border is the Tyne, all the way to the sea.
    I think Dorset might be the only traditional county without a motorway
    Using the historic boundaries as defined pre 1972, I think Glamorgan is the only traditional Welsh county with one.
    The western end of the M4 is in Carmarthenshire.
    And the Severn Bridges (both of them) lead to Monmouthshire.

But even that pales in comparison to Hyufd's extraordinary claim on the last thread that there are ferries from Ullapool to Inverness. I still have a vision of the old Suilven steaming through solid granite towards Garve...
    But it would be oh so scenic..... Even the long route round. (The drive from John O'Groats to Cape Wrath is awesome.)

Edited to prevent a REALLY long journey! Cape Fear...dear dear dear.....
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Macron has caved to the mob on fuel tax
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,883
    Nigelb said:

matt said:

Do you really think Boris will be PM?

Unlikely. So many in Westminster don't want him. But if it gets to the members, I think he probably still gets it, as the standard bearer for Brexit. Would he really Hard Brexit? I'm not sure he would, when it came down to it. Not out of choice. He'd be looking for some compromise. But at least he would make efforts to achieve that better deal. Unlike May, who has gone as far as she wants - even if it is not as far as she needs.

But I don't think he would shirk from delivering Brexit if he had to - once all the other options had fallen away. And I still wonder whether Hard Brexit might be the way to go. It has the benefit of starting the EU trade negotiations with a clean slate, rather than under the hideously compromised May deal. A trade arangement that could last decades. And there would no doubt be some initial economic hardship (although the death and famine doom will look to be ridiculously over-played when reality arrives).

But I do think - could it be a Black Wednesday Redux? Getting out of a European arrangement that initially caused economic mayhem, but proved self-evidently the right thing to do when it allowed the economy to power head. I could see Boris getting stuck in to deliver that. And at least the Tory MPs could remove him from Number 10 at a later date. The same can not be said if they have facilitated PM Corbyn.
    Looking at your post and the Jim Pickard post below, I find that I have to restrain myself from wishing genuine ill on leavers. As for their fantasies of Singapore on the North Sea, I’d understood much of the public we’re resolutely statist, pro-support for nationalisation various and very keen to have other people taxed....
    For a fraction of the cost of Brexit, we could purchase the Isle of Wight, and donate it to the Mogg/Redwood tendency so they could live out their Singapore fantasy.

There’s probably somewhere around half a million Brits who’d join them. They might fall a bit short of their sub minimum wage worker target, though.
    Who is Jacob Rees-Galt?
  • Pulpstar said:

The leader of France surrenders?

I am SHOCKED!
    Pulpstar said:

Strong and stable leadership. Ha!
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    I think the contempt thing is odd but don't forget Labour has generally been a passive by-stander in all of the talks with the EU. It's been a teenager getting frustrated at the adults because it's not all about them. Carping from the side lines is all they can do to make themselves feel important. It's a natural frustration for oppositions, and I suspect the Tories might be doing the same if the boot was on the other foot.

Irritating, but in a family, you tend to indulge them a little. Not a good look, though.

• Pulpstar said:

I am SHOCKED!
    Ha.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Pharmacy Magazine, a magazine which is widely read among community pharmacists...... pharmacists in 'chemists' ........ has this (slightly edited, but not to change thrust)

'Concerns have been expressed by the MHRA and by the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry that there was insufficient cold warehouse storage to stockpile sufficient amounts of medicines such as insulin should the flow of medicines into the UK be disrupted by a no deal Brexit.
    The Sec of State for Health (etc!) said: “Community pharmacies, like everybody else should support the prime minister’s deal, which will make sure that that eventuality does not occur.”
    In the run up to the cabinet’s approving the draft Brexit plan, he reportedly told colleagues he could not guarantee that a no deal scenario and the medicine supply issues that could ensue from this would not lead to patient fatalities.'

Now I'm an optimist, and am sure it won't be as bad as worst case, but I'm only 'sure'. I've been in commercial situations where 'worst case', although considered unlikely, actually happened.

As an aside of course he can’t “guarantee” something won’t happen. Correct use of language by him
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

"Herefordshire is more rural than Northumberland? As I said. Hexham JCP covers an area bigger than Herefordshire. And it is the only one."

It depends, of course, on how you define rurality. I think Herefordshire might be unique in England in having no high rise buildings (more than, say, ten storeys high), and no official length of motorway (unless you count the Ross spur (which some don't))

In other words its complicated. Northumberland would surely win on other metrics. Population density?

Isle of Wight has no motorways and only one extremely short stretch of dual carriageway outside the hospital. And no buildings more than ten storeys high afaik
    Well, if you’re going to use real county boundaries and not fiat ones, then Northumberland does contain motorways and high-rise buildings as its southern border is the Tyne, all the way to the sea.
    Using the historic boundaries as defined pre 1972, I think Glamorgan is the only traditional Welsh county with one.

But even that pales in comparison to Hyufd's extraordinary claim on the last thread that there are ferries from Ullapool to Inverness. I still have a vision of the old Suilven steaming through solid granite towards Garve...
    But it would be oh so scenic..... Even the long route round. (The drive from John O'Groats to Cape Wrath is awesome.)

Now I've got an image of a car driving through the South Atlantic...

Pulpstar said:

I am SHOCKED!
    Was he eating cheese at the time? :smile:
    ydoethur said:

Macron caves on fuel prices.

They've drilled into his last reserves...
    He’s a slick one, that Macron
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724
    Charles said:

Pharmacy Magazine, a magazine which is widely read among community pharmacists...... pharmacists in 'chemists' ........ has this (slightly edited, but not to change thrust)

'Concerns have been expressed by the MHRA and by the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry that there was insufficient cold warehouse storage to stockpile sufficient amounts of medicines such as insulin should the flow of medicines into the UK be disrupted by a no deal Brexit.
    The Sec of State for Health (etc!) said: “Community pharmacies, like everybody else should support the prime minister’s deal, which will make sure that that eventuality does not occur.”
    In the run up to the cabinet’s approving the draft Brexit plan, he reportedly told colleagues he could not guarantee that a no deal scenario and the medicine supply issues that could ensue from this would not lead to patient fatalities.'

Now I'm an optimist, and am sure it won't be as bad as worst case, but I'm only 'sure'. I've been in commercial situations where 'worst case', although considered unlikely, actually happened.

As an aside of course he can’t “guarantee” something won’t happen. Correct use of language by him
    Quite. Underlines my last paragraph.

Pulpstar said:

You can’t say the EU leadership doesn’t listen to the voters...
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

Er.... North Carolina! Where you heading? There's Cape Disapointment on South Georgia.....
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

But his political instincts appear crude.
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nah. Right time to pour oil on troubled waters
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

OPEC it in, both of you!
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Well-drilled government....

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

Er.... North Carolina! Where you heading? There's Cape Disapointment on South Georgia.....
    In a further brilliant muddle, I was confusing it with Cape Horn!

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

OPEC it in, both of you!
    Our puns need refining, I think.
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

...as Boris proposes we renegotiate Brexit by trashing the Eiffel Tower.....

(I shouldn't jest! It only gives him ideas....)
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,545

Unlikely. So many in Westminster don't want him. But if it gets to the members, I think he probably still gets it, as the standard bearer for Brexit. Would he really Hard Brexit? I'm not sure he would, when it came down to it. Not out of choice. He'd be looking for some compromise. But at least he would make efforts to achieve that better deal. Unlike May, who has gone as far as she wants - even if it is not as far as she needs.

But I don't think he would shirk from delivering Brexit if he had to - once all the other options had fallen away. And I still wonder whether Hard Brexit might be the way to go. It has the benefit of starting the EU trade negotiations with a clean slate, rather than under the hideously compromised May deal. A trade arangement that could last decades. And there would no doubt be some initial economic hardship (although the death and famine doom will look to be ridiculously over-played when reality arrives).

But I do think - could it be a Black Wednesday Redux? Getting out of a European arrangement that initially caused economic mayhem, but proved self-evidently the right thing to do when it allowed the economy to power head. I could see Boris getting stuck in to deliver that. And at least the Tory MPs could remove him from Number 10 at a later date. The same can not be said if they have facilitated PM Corbyn.
    " proved self-evidently the right thing to do when it allowed the economy to power head."

Yep, a wet dream. ;)
    Political action: France

Riot, loot, smash, burn, build barricades, torch barricades, threaten death and destruction.

Political action: England

Tut. Mutter under breath "This won't do. Won't do at all...."
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,718
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

There are certainly ferries from Inverness to Ullapool, I would presume the other way too.

Bus services from Ullapool to Inverness certainly

http://www.ullapool.co.uk/transport.html
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    Is there any scenario ever anywhere that May can't make worse? Is there anything that our political classes won't do to avoid engaging with the actual realities that we face as opposed to their various fantasies?

And the clock keeps ticking....

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

OPEC it in, both of you!
    And we have a winner 😆

These conversations should have been had in Cabinet two years ago. Not when looking down the barrel of Brexit.

An egregious failure of Government.
    You can book a hospital appointment before you shoot your arm off, that does not make it a good idea
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,545

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

(Snip)
    And a better walk. That north coast is superb terrain. With the added bonus of a nuclear research site, and soon a rocket complex! ;)

Wouldn't like to live there, though. When I fractured my elbow it would have been a three hour drive to the nearest A&E in Inverness. I'm sure HYUFD could tell us how long the ferry journey would be ...
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

In a further brilliant muddle, I was confusing it with Cape Horn!
    It was late early, we were tired....
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

There are certainly ferries from Inverness to Ullapool, I would presume the other way too.

No there are not Hyufd. There are bus services that connect with the Ullapool-Stornaway ferry and are therefore called 'ferry buses.'
    DavidL said:

Is there any scenario ever anywhere that May can't make worse? Is there anything that our political classes won't do to avoid engaging with the actual realities that we face as opposed to their various fantasies?

A nuclear war between Trump and Putin.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724
    edited December 2018
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

That link doesn't give one. The Citylink site givs a Bus and Ferry service from Inverness to Stornway, via Ullapool. Bus to Ullapool, boat to Stornaway.
    Pulpstar said:

That is a victory for rural and small town France who have seen Macron as the President for the rich and for metropolitan France and who are most reliant on their cars and most in need of fuel
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

That was of course the point made by the prof on R4. You can't come to power saying you will listen to the people and then not listen to the people.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    DavidL said:

As Hague shows today Parliament can change the rules to provide more time by pushing things through in days rather than years. Whether its sensible to do that is of course an entirely different matter.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

No there are not Hyufd. There are bus services that connect with the Ullapool-Stornaway ferry and are therefore called 'ferry buses.'
    So you can get there by bus and ferry, there is still a clear public transport route between the two
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited December 2018

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

(Snip)
    And a better walk. That north coast is superb terrain. With the added bonus of a nuclear research site, and soon a rocket complex! ;)

Wouldn't like to live there, though. When I fractured my elbow it would have been a three hour drive to the nearest A&E in Inverness. I'm sure HYUFD could tell us how long the ferry journey would be ...
    It was only your elbow. Nothing wrong with your legs you shirker you could have walked.

:smile:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

That link doesn't give one. The Citylink site givs a Bus and Ferry service from Inverness to Stornway, via Ullapool. Bus to Ullapool, boat to Stornaway.
    It must be every inch of 220 miles from Ullapool to Inverness by sea. Hardly less than 100 if you go to Banavie and pick up the Caledonian Canal.

Why would anyone do that instead of catch the bus via Garve?

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

(Snip)

Well if you choose to live in one of the most remote parts of Britain that is the price you pay for the scenery
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

So you can get there by bus and ferry, there is still a clear public transport route between the two
    Yes, but that's not what you said!

(And no, you do not catch a ferry at any point between Ullapool and Inverness. Ullapool is the port for the Stornaway ferry.)
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

That was of course the point made by the prof on R4. You can't come to power saying you will listen to the people and then not listen to the people.
    Unlike May of course, who comes to power promising to implement Brexit, then doesn't listen to the people who voted for Brexit....
    HYUFD said:

These conversations should have been had in Cabinet two years ago. Not when looking down the barrel of Brexit.

You can book a hospital appointment before you shoot your arm off, that does not make it a good idea
    Well done. You just bled to death through lack of planning.....
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Presumably they are talking about fully licensed storage facilities. At a pinch temperature sensitive medicines could be stored in other commercial warehouses - not ideal but it wouldn't kill anyone.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

FFS!

I know you have this unbending need to be right all the time but a bus/ferry/bus combination is not “a clear public transport route”

On that basis, if you include shank’s pony, it is possible to travel for free anywhere on the GB mainland

As an aide memoire:

https://xkcd.com/386/
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    This thread is now OLD

HYUFD said:

So you shoot your arm off anyway leaving yourself permanently severely disabled but can congratulate yourself on the fact you might not bleed to death!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Charles said:

I don't think Black Wednesday was self evidently the right thing to do.
    With hindsight it had proved to be

At the time it was a balance between politics and economics with the politicians deciding in favour of politics
    Yes, looking back our exit from the ERM was the firing of the starting gun on a decade and a half of unprecedented and uninterrupted economic growth.

It was difficult for a short while, as things adjusted to the new normal, but the U.K. is full of resourceful people who soon worked out how to benefit from the changed arrangements.

Brexit has the potential to be the same, if only the politicians on all sides could see the opportunity staring them in the face and get behind leaving the EU. 90% of worldwide economic growth in the next decade is forecast to come from outside the EU.

*runs away*
  • NEW THREAD

• CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    edited December 2018
    Mr HYUFD,

"That is a victory for rural and small town France who have seen Macron as the President for the rich and for metropolitan."

Like the EU, you mean?

Being in opposition when the government is doing all the negotiating is like being Vice-President of the USA - not worth a bucket of warm spit, as the saying goes. and that's Labour's problem.

They have two options … oppose everything (there's a Monty Python sketch about that), or put forward your own policies and hope they get a hearing. Labour have chosen the first because they haven't actually got a consistent policy on Europe. They have the six tests which are BINO writ large without saying so, but their real policy is to lie low and say nuffin. So that only leaves … oppose everything and make a lot of noise.

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Fpt

Dixiedean:

"Herefordshire is more rural than d. Northumberland would surely win on other metrics. Population density?

FFS!

I know you have this unbending need to be right all the time but a bus/ferry/bus combination is not “a clear public transport route”

On that basis, if you include shank’s pony, it is possible to travel for free anywhere on the GB mainland

As an aide memoire:

https://xkcd.com/386/
    It is a public transport route even in one of the most rural parts of the UK.

As I said last night there are public transport routes to jobcentres anywhere in the country. As for harsh welfare policies in say the USA or Canada or Italy for example where if you have not made sufficient unemployment insurance contributions you do not get unemployment benefits at all, and benefits are time limited. If you really want to whinge about food banks try living there!
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So you shoot your arm off anyway leaving yourself permanently severely disabled but can congratulate yourself on the fact you might not bleed to death!
    Our politicians are the ones who have contrived to get themselves in a pickle, where their arm might just get shot off. Yet they refuse to make preparations for limb-loss at the local infirmery, because....they refuse to face up to their own mortality? They'd rather die from blood loss than admit their arm might be a gonna.

Or something....weird analogy, weird situation.
    edited December 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Our politicians are the ones who have contrived to get themselves in a pickle, where their arm might just get shot off. Yet they refuse to make preparations for limb-loss at the local infirmery, because....they refuse to face up to their own mortality? They'd rather die from blood loss than admit their arm might be a gonna.

Or something....weird analogy, weird situation.
    No Deal with our largest market will by definition be the equivalent of losing a limb, you can only try and minimise the damage, damage there still will be if May's Deal is rejected
This discussion has been closed.