Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Geoffrey Cox for next CON leader? He’s head and shoulders abov

Comments

• Options
    I saw someone tweet they'd registered it.

I'm at work and it's been blocked, perhaps clicking was a mistake in itself...
  • Options

TGOHF said:

The ECJ has finally published the legal opinion of the Advocate General in the Wightman case.

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/celex.jsf?celex=62018CC0621&lang1=en

The document published earlier this morning was a press release issued by the ECJ.

As always it is important to read the legal opinion rather than just a summary.

So the claim is that a second notification would be an abusive practice which could be denied by the ECJ?
    So Brexit would be blocked forever ? Lol.
    It is certainly a defect in logic in the opinion.

It would be much cleaner to say that it would be abusive to revoke A50 unilaterally in circumstances where MS intends to re-serve also immediately.

The opinion makes clear it would be for the ECJ to decide what counts as an abusive practice. But it would not be the second invocation of A50 that was the potentially abusive practice, but the second revocation.

ECJ has given the UK a Mulligan on Brexit.
    Not sure if you have a typo there, but the A-G's submission is the first revocation gets a free pass. That seems to me very strange.

If the government announced revocation on 28 March and a second Article 50 on 29 March I do not think that abuse happens on the 29 March only.
    It would depend on the linkage I expect between the two.

Say, we revoke on 28th March. Government falls. New election with the Tories being controlled by the ERG and they win an election on the basis they were re-submitt Art50.

Then i think the 'new' claim would be valid, as there was no linkage between the first removal and the second notifiation.
    The ERG are piss and wind. What we've learned over the past fortnight is that they are nothing like as strong as they make out.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

TGOHF said:

The ECJ has finally published the legal opinion of the Advocate General in the Wightman case.

The document published earlier this morning was a press release issued by the ECJ.

So the claim is that a second notification would be an abusive practice which could be denied by the ECJ?

It would be much cleaner to say that it would be abusive to revoke A50 unilaterally in circumstances where MS intends to re-serve also immediately.

The opinion makes clear it would be for the ECJ to decide what counts as an abusive practice. But it would not be the second invocation of A50 that was the potentially abusive practice, but the second revocation.

Not sure if you have a typo there, but the A-G's submission is the first revocation gets a free pass. That seems to me very strange.

If the government announced revocation on 28 March and a second Article 50 on 29 March I do not think that abuse happens on the 29 March only.

Say, we revoke on 28th March. Government falls. New election with the Tories being controlled by the ERG and they win an election on the basis they were re-submitt Art50.

Then i think the 'new' claim would be valid, as there was no linkage between the first removal and the second notifiation.
    The ERG are piss and wind. What we've learned over the past fortnight is that they are nothing like as strong as they make out.
    Strong enough to help prevent a deal and secure remains ultimate victory. They must be proud.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I'm just talking hypopethicals. That if a new government with a mandate to envoke Article 50 came into power after being elected, then I don't see that as being 'abusive practice'.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited December 2018
    I have only seen snippets of him (Cox) and he has seemed ok, nothing special nothing dreadful but with more colour than the other greys (May, Hammond), more sane than the Brex-o-loons (Johnson, Davis, Leadsom, Mogg, Mordaunt), more intelligent than the pseudo-intelligent Brexiters (Raab, Javid), has less baggage than others (Hunt, Gove), and has a safer seat than the otherwise outstanding candidate (Rudd),

So, in a let's have him until a known unknown something better turns up, then I think this is a good tip.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, maybe someone should write an article comparing the ERG's failed coup attempt to the desire of the Eastern Roman Empire to fight the Battle of Manzikert.

Or the Roman Republic to fight Cannae.

Of course, those significant defeats had diametrically opposed strategic impacts on the destinies of the losing sides...
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I'm just talking hypopethicals. That if a new government with a mandate to envoke Article 50 came into power after being elected, then I don't see that as being 'abusive practice'.
    Yup, seems legit. I mean, you could imagine the same sequence of events without this ruling: UK PM and parliament says they want to stay, EU Council agree, UK government falls and the next government asks to leave again.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Doesn't look like many on board either. Fitting. Done and dusted bar the shouting.
  • Options
    Good afternoon from the splendour* of First Class on Grand Central as I travel down to that London for a trip to Westminster tomorrow. I've chosen a very boring period to visit and I expect a tame PMQs session and boring afternoon session from my ticketed seat in the gallery
  • Options
    One awaits Mr Montgomerie's equally stern words for No Deal Brexiters:

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1069965140605485058
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kle4 said:

Doesn't look like many on board either. Fitting. Done and dusted bar the shouting.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1069952782730493957
  • Options
    Can I just ask that if the country is doomed can we please skip out the hyperinflation stage? It would be a terribly tedious job to refactor the IT systems I'm working on to deal with necessary extra digits.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    edited December 2018
    Mr. P, whatever else is the case, we're certainly leaving in interesting times.

Wonder how the odds are swinging. Suspect those on May's deal passing on 11 December will soon be lengthening dramatically, and a second referendum may become more likely than not.

The Commons *could* just revoke Article 50 (if the ECJ agrees with the opinion given, but do we have a date for judgement?) by itself, but that would be... contentious.

Or it could revoke Article 50 and subsequently hold a referendum, perhaps making it advisory or introducing a threshold requirement (I'm not advocating any particular path, just musing on how the pro-EU MPs may be planning things).

Edited extra bit: it occurs to me the sceptics needed a Quintus Fabius Maximus and ended up with Varro.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Sean_F said:

How many MPs would take the trouble to read the full legal advice if they had it?

I mean it's only six pages.

Maybe 10%?
    But, the other 90% would have an opinion, without having read it,
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Scott_P said:
    Parliament cannot negotiate with foreign powers. It doesn't have the powers.

This is just absurd.

The wrecker-Remainers are doing themselves no favours here at all.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, point of order: Montgomerie came out in favour of the deal. Reasonably sure he did have some criticism for those against it on the Leave side.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1069952782730493957
    In fairness they're not the only ultras poisoning things.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Why do some of the proposers get a 'Mr' before their name but others don't? Is that a personal preference?
  • Options
    Mr. Mortimer, it's curious how keen the Commons is to intervene on this, yet how happy it was to merely nod through treaty after treaty, even those for which a referendum had been promised.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    kle4 said:

FPT:

May never had the first idea about Brexit and has done everything she can to make sure it cannot be completed.

It's a remarkable achievement to block something so effectively while not having the first idea about it. I'd say nobody in parliament understands Brexit as well as Theresa May at this point.
    I will clarify my comment. She never had the first idea about what drove Brexit.
    She fell for the Remainers straw man that it was about immigration and not control.
    https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/784395049618509825?lang=en-gb
    Someone already pointed out a couple of weeks ago when this word cloud was put up that it is a fake.

It was me. This word cloud is definitely a fake.

Zoom in and you will see 'imigration', with one 'm' both above and below the huge 'immigration' in the middle.

Now call me old-fashioned but I feel a valid word cloud should have one entry for each word which each word being sized proportionately to the number of times thew word is used. This has clearly been constructed unscientifically to make a (possibly valid) point. The padding words around the outside are just plain weird (plain and weird are probably in there themselves - 'etc', 'yes', 'let' and 'fit' certainly are, to pick a few random examples).

If anybody from the British Election Study would like to explain why I am wrong, I'd love to hear it.
    yes indeed. If it is illustrative of a true point it can still be fake. Which makes it worse if the point is true, since why mock something up.

Out of interest, where is the lower "imigration"? I'm not doubting you @Benpointer, I've just failed to find it so far.

The source data is mentioned at https://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-findings/what-mattered-most-to-you-when-deciding-how-to-vote-in-the-eu-referendum/#.XAaPKq10eDI . If there are failings in the word cloud I find it fairly unlikely that BES would traduce their reputation intentionally - more likely that it's a failing in whatever software they've used to produce the word cloud. After a bit of digging, I think that software was probably Wordle, which can be downloaded at wordle.net, or something similar.
  • Options
    Mr. Dawning, might Right Honourable or not be the difference?
  • Options

Mr. Mortimer, it's curious how keen the Commons is to intervene on this, yet how happy it was to merely nod through treaty after treaty, even those for which a referendum had been promised.

Your grasp of modern history is as bad as your grasp of classical history or do you honestly believe Parliament merely nodded through the Maastricht Treaty for example?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    edited December 2018

Scott_P said:
    Why do some of the proposers get a 'Mr' before their name but others don't? Is that a personal preference?
    Are the others lawyers so have are treated differently or something?

Edit: a quick check says no...so probably how they've written it down.
  • Options

I think it's well-established by now that votes in favour of More Europe are final and binding, whereas votes against are temporary and provisional.

It's just a pity that the ERG are too blinkered to see that they're doing their opponents' bidding.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Scott_P said:

Yes. Everyone gets asked on arrival how they want to be referred to - Nick ,Nicholas, Dr Nicholas, whatever.
  • Options

Some of them are women...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scott_P said:

George Freeman?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

Having read through, my summary would be that he said, "Look, you can't throw a member state out against its will. A revocation that's vetoed by one or more other member states would equate to throwing out a member state against its will. States retain the right to change their mind on their intentions until enacted. So unilateral has it."
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

FPT:

May never had the first idea about Brexit and has done everything she can to make sure it cannot be completed.

It's a remarkable achievement to block something so effectively while not having the first idea about it. I'd say nobody in parliament understands Brexit as well as Theresa May at this point.
    I will clarify my comment. She never had the first idea about what drove Brexit.
    She fell for the Remainers straw man that it was about immigration and not control.
    Someone already pointed out a couple of weeks ago when this word cloud was put up that it is a fake.

Zoom in and you will see 'imigration', with one 'm' both above and below the huge 'immigration' in the middle.

Now call me old-fashioned but I feel a valid word cloud should have one entry for each word which each word being sized proportionately to the number of times thew word is used. This has clearly been constructed unscientifically to make a (possibly valid) point. The padding words around the outside are just plain weird (plain and weird are probably in there themselves - 'etc', 'yes', 'let' and 'fit' certainly are, to pick a few random examples).

If anybody from the British Election Study would like to explain why I am wrong, I'd love to hear it.
    Surely it would be more likely to be fake if it didn't encompass leavers mis-spelling 'immigration'?
    ... but twice?

I am not saying the words weren't all taken from Leave voting respondents. I am not saying immigration wasn't the most often mentioned topic. But the relative sizing of the words is totally unconvincing, which leads me to believe the relative size of 'immigration' is most likely exaggerated (compared with, for example, money or bureaucracy).

The word cloud is fake, no question. The BES should be ashamed to have published it.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, did the Commons wrest the process on Maastricht away from the Government? Or on Nice? Or on Lisbon, even though the Government of the day, under Brown, was contravening its own manifesto promise?

You have to go back decades to find your example, and whilst the Commons then was truculent it went along with Major's desires.

Mr. F, they shot their pistol, having failed to load a bullet.

That said, as I wrote in my ramble published here a few weeks ago, if we end up remaining every single idiotic EU pronouncement and act (Article 13 stands out as an immediate example of one coming down the tracks) will be salt in the wound.

Whatever happens in a potentially turbulent few days ahead, this discord will not be over for years, and probably decades.
  • Options
    The bit about needing to send revocation by formal instrument does give the absurd mental picture of the Government, at the last moment, deciding to revoke Article 50 and sending a formal letter to be conveyed to the European Council, but rebel ERG-ers are chasing it with the intent to head it off just long enough for time to run out.

After many shenanigans, they are defeated by the quick-witted civil servants, but in a shock twist, another masked group block them at the final step and the clock runs out.

It is seen after the fact that the masked group are covert European Council/French/Spanish (delete as appropriate) operatives who didn't want to accept unilateral revocation and in a post-credit scene, are seen drinking in celebration with the bruised ERG-ers.

Suggested title: "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Brexit"

• Options

Mr. Eagles, did the Commons wrest the process on Maastricht away from the Government? Or on Nice? Or on Lisbon, even though the Government of the day, under Brown, was contravening its own manifesto promise?

You have to go back decades to find your example, and whilst the Commons then was truculent it went along with Major's desires.

That said, as I wrote in my ramble published here a few weeks ago, if we end up remaining every single idiotic EU pronouncement and act (Article 13 stands out as an immediate example of one coming down the tracks) will be salt in the wound.

Whatever happens in a potentially turbulent few days ahead, this discord will not be over for years, and probably decades.

My guess is that if Brexit is reversed, we'd return to the position of the 2013-15 period, with Conservatives and Labour polling in the low thirties, UKIP in the mid/high teens.
  • Options

On Maastricht they took the process so far away from the government* that the government had to push through a vote of confidence.

Ratifying Nice and Maastricht was in the manifestos of all three major parties, so they did what the country voted for.

*The bastards backed the Labour amendment to accept the social chapter which was ingenious.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Scott_P said:

Women? In Parliament? Insanity.
  • Options
    The ECJ news does seem to have concentrated some minds...

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1069716209665523713
  • Options
    Mr. F, UKIP's changed though. Not to mention both main parties are led by people not necessarily popular with their own side.

I wonder if the co-operation of left Conservatives and right Labour types might lead to a new party.

Mr. Eagles, a referendum on Lisbon* was in all three manifestos too. Funny how manifesto commitments to more integration happen, but commitments to a referendum on said treaty do not.

*Changing the title from Constitution to Lisbon Treaty makes not a jot of difference. I recently added the Hero of Hornska series title to my Sir Edric novels. It doesn't change the content one iota.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

He announced that before the AG's announcement.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    edited December 2018
    Mr. Palmer, what happens if you take the piss and say you want to be known as the Harbinger of the Doomed Rat?

Edited extra bit: and, just checking the list again, it's interesting that not a single woman I could see opted for a title other than 'Dr', whereas some chaps did go for 'Mr'.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

On Maastricht they took the process so far away from the government* that the government had to push through a vote of confidence.

Ratifying Nice and Maastricht was in the manifestos of all three major parties, so they did what the country voted for.

*The bastards backed the Labour amendment to accept the social chapter which was ingenious.
    Perhaps Parliament could do what the country voted for in a referendum and a General Election this time, then, eh?
  • Options

Mr. F, UKIP's changed though. Not to mention both main parties are led by people not necessarily popular with their own side.

I wonder if the co-operation of left Conservatives and right Labour types might lead to a new party.

Mr. Eagles, a referendum on Lisbon* was in all three manifestos too. Funny how manifesto commitments to more integration happen, but commitments to a referendum on said treaty do not.

*Changing the title from Constitution to Lisbon Treaty makes not a jot of difference. I recently added the Hero of Hornska series title to my Sir Edric novels. It doesn't change the content one iota.

The problem for a new centrist party is the same as for the SDP. It gets a decent-sized vote in most constituencies, but rarely enough to win.
  • Options

Lisbon was Blair not Brown, and had already been watered down after two other countries rejected it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Just popped out of Hampstead for a moment and braved a visit to the Blocked Cock in Barnsley. Informed the regulars in there that due to the machinations of a chap called 'Dominic Grieve' down in Westminster there was now no chance of a proper Brexit. You should have seen their faces. Gammon doesn't come close.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Perhaps Parliament could do what the country voted for in a referendum and a General Election this time, then, eh?
    I agree.

We have to Leave next March, even with no deal.

Is the quickest way to Rejoin.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited December 2018
    Yelling "show us your p*ssy" at Owen Jones.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1069971860069277698
    Trump supporters really are a confused bunch.
  • Options

As weasley as Owen Jones is, that's out of order.
  • Options

FPT:

Apologies Ben I thought It was Robert. I remember him having some critical words about it as well.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I agree.

Quickest to rejoin maybe but that's not enough for the Commons - they want not to have left at all.

Here's a thought, let's have a GE and referendum at the same time. That way the public could really confuse everybody and vote to remain while also electing the Rees-Mogg ultra brexiteer led Tory party to a majority.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Not so. The AG is explicit in Article 155:

"Moreover, any abuse could occur only when a second notification of the intention to withdraw is submitted, but not by unilaterally revoking the first."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Too bad Lord Bridges doesn't matter in this scenario anymore - they need a lot more turncoats in the right place!
  • Options

Is there time to negotiate an accession treaty to come into force at [lim dt -> 0] (midnight + dt) on the 30th March, 2019?

That way we will have Brexited, legally speaking, for a non-zero although infininitesimal period of time, before rejoining. Brexit means Brexit, but nobody said for how long.
  • Options
    Curious - received an email about a YouGov survey, but when I click the link it takes me straight to the evaluation page that follows a survey. Was it simply too explosive a survey to press on with? I shall never know.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If it has considerable Tory support the battle's already won, surely?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Too bad Lord Bridges doesn't matter in this scenario anymore - they need a lot more turncoats in the right place!
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if the only vote May wins is the meaningless vote in the Lords? The very worst consolation prize: a pity vote from the Lords.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Scott_P said:
    Article 50 is going to be revoked through a private member's bill :p ?
  • Options

FPT:

Apologies Ben I thought It was Robert. I remember him having some critical words about it as well.
    No worries. It's all a bit irrelevant now anyway. May could yet pull this off when the ERG stare A50 revocation in the eye.

Peronally I think a quick 3-way ref (No Deal v May's Deal v Remain) is the way to go now that we know all 3 are legally viable.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

My guess is that if Brexit is reversed, we'd return to the position of the 2013-15 period, with Conservatives and Labour polling in the low thirties, UKIP in the mid/high teens.

And a nastier UKIP too. There's a gap in the domestic market for one of those vulgar nativist movements that are gaining traction elsewhere to do so here. Effective leader + strong enough grievance narrative and roberto is your father's brother.

So let's not, if at all possible.
  • Options
    If the Grieve amendment passes, May will completely lose control of events surrounding the MV.

Not, I guess, that she was ever really in control.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

He sounds like a Brian Blessed knock-off delivering lines that Digby Jones rejected for his tweets as too mindlessly banal.

50/1 is no doubt a great price, given the state of mind of the current Conservative party.

I hate to break it to you, but that's how all lawyers sound to us normals. ;)
    You haven't heard me speak yet. It will be a revelation. :)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Curious - received an email about a YouGov survey, but when I click the link it takes me straight to the evaluation page that follows a survey. Was it simply too explosive a survey to press on with? I shall never know.

They probably already predicted your responses from your seach history. :wink:
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Cox is an eBay Netenyahu. Right down to the combover, corpulence, basso profundo voice and being a right wing shitbag.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

And a nastier UKIP too. There's a gap in the domestic market for one of those vulgar nativist movements that are gaining traction elsewhere to do so here. Effective leader + strong enough grievance narrative and roberto is your father's brother.

Know your enemy. I think we've learned the hard way that placating gammons ends in disaster. Let's flush them out.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Cyclefree said:

He sounds like a Brian Blessed knock-off delivering lines that Digby Jones rejected for his tweets as too mindlessly banal.

50/1 is no doubt a great price, given the state of mind of the current Conservative party.

I hate to break it to you, but that's how all lawyers sound to us normals. ;)
    You haven't heard me speak yet. It will be a revelation. :)
    There's a standard text you have to record for the Blessedometer reading.

It goes...

"Flash Gordon's alive!??"

Edit: apologies for that, I didn't realise the impact of the h1 tag. Promise not to use it again except for when there's a new thread.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

A *genuine* grievance narrative.
  • Options
    Earth, ca. 2019

• Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    If it has considerable Tory support the battle's already won, surely?
    Be interesting to see how the DUP and Labour Leavers like Flint vote, but yeah surely even Tory remainers can't lose this one.
  • Options

If the Grieve amendment passes, May will completely lose control of events surrounding the MV.

Not, I guess, that she was ever really in control.

I doubt she is too much worried. Let Parliament take control and sideline ERG
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Earth, ca. 2019

Shoot the portrait videographers first
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Only if she loses.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Earth, ca. 2019

Someone has pinched her burger!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

Know your enemy. I think we've learned the hard way that placating gammons ends in disaster. Let's flush them out.
    Who is the gammon pictured?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

As someone who thinks neither side should act like this, its hard not to think about the tsunami of hatred him and others have unleashed against Conservatives. I still remember the shocking ugliness of the 2015 manchester conference. A wall of hate, bile and intimidation. A friend got rape threats walking into the controlled zone.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

TGOHF said:

I hate people who don’t immunise their kids. Surely we should make it a crime?

More than 500 children in London have had emergency measles vaccinations to stop an outbreak of the disease among strictly orthodox Jews.

More than 60 cases have been reported since the beginning of October. The patients had not been immunised and most were Haredi Jews from Hackney and Haringey.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/israeli-measles-epidemic-hits-uk-3wmcngcw6

They should allow head teachers to ban any pupils not immunised from schools.
    If the other parents have their children immunised there is nothing to be concerned about for those parents. No we should not make it a crime, a quite ridiculous suggestion. We are still, (in spite of the referendum) a liberal democracy, and we should not force medical treatment on anyone or their children against their wishes.
    The trouble is that by not immunising they are not just harming their kids but potentially others as well.

See the plentiful literature on herd immunity.

When I was pregnant with my third I discovered that one of my son's friends had not been immunised because his mother believed all the crap about it all being a frightful conspiracy or something. Had that boy had measles and been in my house at the time, as he was frequently, he could have caused my unborn child harm. No-one has a right to inflict that others because they choose not to believe in well-established science.

It should not be a crime but making it a requirement that to go to school you must be immunised seems reasonable to me - and is what is done in lots of other countries.
  • Options
    notme said:

A *genuine* grievance narrative.

Yes even worse if it's genuine. And it would be.
  • Options
    notme said:

As someone who thinks neither side should act like this, its hard not to think about the tsunami of hatred him and others have unleashed against Conservatives. I still remember the shocking ugliness of the 2015 manchester conference. A wall of hate, bile and intimidation. A friend got rape threats walking into the controlled zone.
    That’s because the Tory scum deserve it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

kle4 said:

I don't know if it is just me, but my experience of posh self confident people with booming voices is that they are generally clueless buffoons. Usually with the added USP of being unmanageable. When I heard him speaking at the Tory party conference I was cringing. Case in point he was quoting Milton. A Conservative politician citing the radical's radical?

He's a successful barrister so he's clearly not a buffoon. His political skill particularly at senior levels is, however, unknown.
    I never said he was a buffoon. He may well be just the man the country needs and I'll support him if that is how it turns out. I am just pointing out that his persona doesn't inspire me with confidence.
    Certainly a loud mouthed windbag, if being shouty makes you PM material he has a great chance.
  • Options

FPT:

Surely it would be more likely to be fake if it didn't encompass leavers mis-spelling 'immigration'?
    Exactly , given the state of the UK I would say that authenticates it as real.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    notme said:

What you don't understand is that those on the left are incapable of nasty or bigoted behaviour because they have right (small 'r') on their side.
  • Options

Too late I fear. One of them asked me why he and the missus and everybody else in their street bothered voting Leave in that big referendum if this Dominic Grieve character wouldn't let it happen. I started mumbling something about perhaps they hadn't realized what was involved but was soon drowned out by the shouting. It got quite ugly. Was relieved to get back to Hampstead to be honest.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

More than 500 children in London have had emergency measles vaccinations to stop an outbreak of the disease among strictly orthodox Jews.

More than 60 cases have been reported since the beginning of October. The patients had not been immunised and most were Haredi Jews from Hackney and Haringey.

If the other parents have their children immunised there is nothing to be concerned about for those parents. No we should not make it a crime, a quite ridiculous suggestion. We are still, (in spite of the referendum) a liberal democracy, and we should not force medical treatment on anyone or their children against their wishes.
    Given that other children may be too young to be immunised, medically unable to be immunised, and that immunisation is not 100% effective, then sufficient numbers of non-immunised children provide a vector for attack for the virus to the vulnerable.
    Herd immunity protects the too young, too vulnerable, and unfortunate. When enough parents decide to avoid immunisation of children old enough and suitable for vaccination and herd immunity collapses, the resulting deaths (of other peoples children) are caused by that decision.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2018

FPT:

... but twice?

I am not saying the words weren't all taken from Leave voting respondents. I am not saying immigration wasn't the most often mentioned topic. But the relative sizing of the words is totally unconvincing, which leads me to believe the relative size of 'immigration' is most likely exaggerated (compared with, for example, money or bureaucracy).

The word cloud is fake, no question. The BES should be ashamed to have published it.
    That's a bit tin-foil-hat. One is imigration and the other is migration, at least as far as I can untangle the blur.
  • Options
    How many possible Tory leader threads must we have before the obvious candidate, Tracey Crouch has her time in the all powerful PB spotlight...
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Anorak said:

FPT:

... but twice?

That's a bit tin-foil-hat. One is imigration and the other is migration, at least as far as I can untangle the blur.
    Whew. That's what I read too. I was beginning to think my eyesight was failing.
  • Options

They got it right I think
  • Options
    RobD said:

notme said:

You have seen sense at last Rob
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

notme said:

I’ve embraced my inner (and outer) Tory scumness. :p
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

The trouble is that by not immunising they are not just harming their kids but potentially others as well.

See the plentiful literature on herd immunity.

When I was pregnant with my third I discovered that one of my son's friends had not been immunised because his mother believed all the crap about it all being a frightful conspiracy or something. Had that boy had measles and been in my house at the time, as he was frequently, he could have caused my unborn child harm. No-one has a right to inflict that others because they choose not to believe in well-established science.

It should not be a crime but making it a requirement that to go to school you must be immunised seems reasonable to me - and is what is done in lots of other countries.
    Yes, that would be an appropriate and proportionate response.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Cox is an eBay Netenyahu. Right down to the combover, corpulence, basso profundo voice and being a right wing shitbag.

Well described
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2018
    This been posted yet? Wars have been started for less, etc, etc. Cheeky bastards have even arranged the funnels to give the 'v' sign.
    https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1069961316738174979
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Scott_P said:
    You know if it has Letwin's name attached to it it's going to turn to ashes don't you Scott? :D
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited December 2018
    Anorak said:

This been posted yet? Wars have been started for less, etc, etc.

Time to deploy our Trident submarines.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

This been posted yet? Wars have been started for less, etc, etc. Cheeky bastards have even arranged the funnels to give the 'v' sign.

Payback for us projecting a huge picture of the Queen onto the Rock?
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

notme said:

I’ve embraced my inner (and outer) Tory scumness. :p
    You will feel all the better for it, you need to know explicitly that you are among the most hated scumbags in the country.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

You know if it has Letwin's name attached to it it's going to turn to ashes don't you Scott? :D

The ERG claim it doesn't matter.

You know, the ace team of Parliamentarians who can't count to 48...
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Some desperate spin going on by the ERG regarding Grieves amendment .

It might not be legally binding but politically it is . Is the executive really going to embark on a course of action with a majority of MPs against it !

If they do that then MPs will have to hit the nuclear option of revoking article 50 as a last resort to stop a no deal .

Bearing in mind that a simple motion is all that’s needed to instruct the government in that eventuality.
This discussion has been closed.