Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Geoffrey Cox for next CON leader? He’s head and shoulders abov

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Pointer, it's just "Gordon's alive?!"
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I'm not sure that being able to revoke Art 50 makes any difference.

There has to be a will to do it. I'm not sure that telling 17 million plus voters that the referendum didn't happen because it was all a dream (as in 'Dallas') will work too well.

What do you think would happen if the reverse happened? If Remain had won and Cameron's successor had said ... "F*ck it, we have to take account of the dissenting voices who are more worthy, so we're leaving anyway."

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    RobD said:

Anorak said:

This been posted yet? Wars have been started for less, etc, etc. Cheeky bastards have even arranged the funnels to give the 'v' sign.

Payback for us projecting a huge picture of the Queen onto the Rock?
    I bet you like Paella too, you traitor.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

I barely managed to restrain myself from saying that. Now that you have, I can say "Mr Pointer, fall on your sword."
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,789
    CD13 said:

There has to be a will to do it. I'm not sure that telling 17 million plus voters that the referendum didn't happen because it was all a dream (as in 'Dallas') will work too well.

It's appears 17m people don't matter now.

Just let this rotten Parliament keep digging...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    Anorak said:

FPT:

I will clarify my comment. She never had the first idea about what drove Brexit.
    She fell for the Remainers straw man that it was about immigration and not control.
    https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/784395049618509825?lang=en-gb
    Someone already pointed out a couple of weeks ago when this word cloud was put up that it is a fake.
    https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/784395049618509825?lang=en-gb

It was me. This word cloud is definitely a fake.

Zoom in and you will see 'imigration', with one 'm' both above and below the huge 'immigration' in the middle.

Now call me old-fashioned but I feel a valid word cloud should have one entry for each word which each word being sized proportionately to the number of times thew word is used. This has clearly been constructed unscientifically to make a (possibly valid) point. The padding words around the outside are just plain weird (plain and weird are probably in there themselves - 'etc', 'yes', 'let' and 'fit' certainly are, to pick a few random examples).

If anybody from the British Election Study would like to explain why I am wrong, I'd love to hear it.
    Surely it would be more likely to be fake if it didn't encompass leavers mis-spelling 'immigration'?
    ... but twice?

I am not saying the words weren't all taken from Leave voting respondents. I am not saying immigration wasn't the most often mentioned topic. But the relative sizing of the words is totally unconvincing, which leads me to believe the relative size of 'immigration' is most likely exaggerated (compared with, for example, money or bureaucracy).

The word cloud is fake, no question. The BES should be ashamed to have published it.
    That's a bit tin-foil-hat. One is imigration and the other is migration, at least as far as I can untangle the blur.
    Mmmm... having looked again I think you may be right. *red face* (Though find it strange that Whilst 'immigration' dominates, 'migration' is in a smaller font than 'best' and 'want' for example.)

It's a rubbish word cloud: if you're going to include 'etc', where's the huge 'A' and the very big 'The'?

I shall never speak of it again. (Now where's that red face emoji?)
  • Options
    CD13 said:

What do you think would happen if the reverse happened? If Remain had won and Cameron's successor had said ... "F*ck it, we have to take account of the dissenting voices who are more worthy, so we're leaving anyway."

I think, faced with a cliff edge no deal scenario, it becomes much more likely.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

CD13 said:

What about the 29m voters who didn't vote to leave?
  • Options
    Mr. CD13, I suspect there is such a will in the Commons.

They should hold a referendum, though, and promptly, so my bet comes off.
  • Options
    Mr. Price, must admit, not quite flabbergasted with that, given Corbyn wasn't going to be there.

I wonder if May will end up going to ITV? [For the debate, I mean, not as an imminent career change].
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

CD13 said:

What about the 30 million voters who did not vote to remain.
  • Options
    Jezza will be pleased, he can pretend to watch the I’m a celeb final now.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,789

GIN1138 said:

CD13 said:

Are you talking about 16m + The one's who couldn't be bothered?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I barely managed to restrain myself from saying that. Now that you have, I can say "Mr Pointer, fall on your sword."
    Haha. Yes very good!

I shall start claiming someone's hacked my PB account to explain my bad hair day! :lol:
  • Options

Yelling "show us your p*ssy" at Owen Jones.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1069971860069277698
    Trump supporters really are a confused bunch.

As weasley as Owen Jones is, that's out of order.
    Jones was publicly defending Osamor after she threatened a journalist with a baseball bat and threw a bucket of water over him.

I don't defend the abuse given him by any stretch but I will call him out as a hypocrite.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    GIN1138 said:

CD13 said:

I honestly don't think the bulk or remainers or leavers expect anything other than Brexit to go ahead. There is the 20% of the public fully engaged with politics who will be reading today's developments with interest but for the rest it will hardly register.

If parliament overturned Brexit it would be such a sharp jolt to the majority who expect it to happen that the only outcome would be complete chaos far beyond the worst kind of no deal. That is the game some arch remain MPs are playing, though I certainly think the Brexiters have a much firmer legal standing to ensure Brexit does get pushed through than Remainers do to ensure it is cancelled.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Haha. Yes very good!

I shall start claiming someone's hacked my PB account to explain my bad hair day! :lol:
    Blame autocorrect. Is what I do.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Tories: ok, we'll do ITV, but we need these format changes.
    Labour: well we're not doing it now.

Rinse, repeat ad infinitum.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

CD13 said:

What about the 30 million voters who did not vote to remain.
    If you don't vote, you don't count. Abstainers, by not voting, delegate the decision to those who can be bothered.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

CD13 said:

Are you talking about 16m + The one's who couldn't be bothered?
    Yes indeed. The ones who were so outraged at the EU that they couldn't be bothered to vote to Leave.

But look, to save a long argument:

Leave won; I think we should Leave; May's deal seems the best approach; I suspect the A50 revocation news will only help her win the MV.
  • Options
    Mr. Garner, quite. It's statistical delinquency to claim every non-voter is on your side or, at least, opposes your chosen adversaries.

Mr. Herdson, quite (again).
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

Peronally I think a quick 3-way ref (No Deal v May's Deal v Remain) is the way to go now that we know all 3 are legally viable.

That gerrymanders for remain.

What I favour (if we have to have one) is the following binary:

Which of the following is MOST important to you. Tick only one box.

- That the UK be a prosperous and influential nation.
    - That the UK be free of Brussels.

Then if it's a clear win (minimum 60/40) for the UK being a PAIN we Remain.

If it's at least 60/40 the other way, that we be FOB, we do a Brexit that's so hard you wouldn't believe.

Any other result we exit with Theresa's deal.

I just don't see a flaw in that. Plus it could be done very quickly because there would be no need to have a campaign period. Just ask the people. Ask them.
  • Options

Jones was publicly defending Osamor after she threatened a journalist with a baseball bat and threw a bucket of water over him.

I don't defend the abuse given him by any stretch but I will call him out as a hypocrite.
    Careful he will call you a massive homophobe.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    CD13 said:

It is more likely that they will say "We tried to implement Brexit as instructed in the referendum, but no one would back it. Sorry.... but we are done here"
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Tories: ok, we'll do ITV, but we need these format changes.
    Labour: well we're not doing it now.

Rinse, repeat ad infinitum.
    Suspect we'll have had the MV vote, revoked A50, reinstated it, left the EU, and re-joined... before a decision is made about the debate.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

Mr. Price, must admit, not quite flabbergasted with that, given Corbyn wasn't going to be there.

I wonder if May will end up going to ITV? [For the debate, I mean, not as an imminent career change].

"I'm the Prime Minister get me out of here!"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

This been posted yet? Wars have been started for less, etc, etc. Cheeky bastards have even arranged the funnels to give the 'v' sign.

Hey... I'm up for projecting even bigger portraits of the Queen and even minor royals onto the Rock to annoy the Spanish. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Anorak said:

https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1069961316738174979

A strategically placed fishing net would put an end to their capers as they float by out of control with a fouled prop and rudder. We could even magnanimously offer the use of a tug to assist and it could belt out the sound of Basil Fawlty laughing maniacally whilst towing them back :D
  • Options

Anorak said:

Haha. Yes very good!

Blame autocorrect. Is what I do.
    Sage advice TSE - I will add it to my (large) excuses folder :smile:
  • Options

Do we have an official pb tip for IAC...? Someone (pulpstar?) put up Faye for Strictly.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,089
    CD13 said:

If confirmed by the judgment, and if there were a referendum, it could make a big difference to the arguments.

If the UK needed the unanimous approval of the other countries to revoke Brexit, that would have raised the question of concessions over our future terms of membership, which could have been a powerful argument against voting to remain.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Rumours are they are going to put on a rerun of Last of the Summer Wine and see if anyone notices the difference.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

Hey... I'm up for projecting even bigger portraits of the Queen and even minor royals onto the Rock to annoy the Spanish. ;)
    Hmm. You're still on a yellow card.
  • Options
    Mr. Pointer, F1 drivers sometimes have great excuses. The wind, which obviously doesn't affect any of the other cars, changing conditions, lack of running in practice, bad luck, bad set of tyres, traffic, debris on the track etc etc.

Speaking of which, going to put up a 2018 driver comparison post on Saturday (team by team). Some battles are closer than one might expect.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Rumours are they are going to put on a rerun of Last of the Summer Wine and see if anyone notices the difference.
    From the Compo and Batty era?
  • Options

Careful he will call you a massive homophobe.
    He may find unexpected complications with that line too.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

There is no other era. All a figment of a feverish imagination to suggest otherwise. Compo, Clegg, and Foggy.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Has he ever been mentioned at all?

As I've said many times passim, I reckon the next Conservative leader will be one of the ones who is little-known to the public, and certainty not someone who has openly coveted the job.

Cox would certainly fit that bill.

As others may be as clueless about him as I am, here's his wiki page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Cox_(British_politician)

You are fond of using this quasi-intellectual Latin.

Yet it does you no favours.

Passim is almost always redundant in this context.
    Why are you obsessed with the posting style of other posters? Its not as if there isn't lots of actual politics going on at the moment.
    Not that I'd expect a banality-wallah like you to understand, but the defence of plain English is a noble pursuit. The cliche-ridden, showy-offy, meme-ridden cesspit that is PB needs setting straight once in a while.
  • Options
    Mr. Anazina, me miserum!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2018
    A Met Police officer who knocked a teenager off a moped while employing a new ramming tactic could face criminal charges.

A file of evidence gathered by the police watchdog is to be passed to prosecutors and Scotland Yard. If he is prosecuted, the officer could be charged with actual bodily harm or grievous bodily harm.

The Met could also decide if there is a case to answer for misconduct, which could result in dismissal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-46440172

Of course the youth in question was just pottering along on the way home from college and never done wrong in his life...

The boy later pleaded guilty to five offences at the youth court, including theft, dangerous driving, and driving without a licence.
  • Options
    Chris said:

CD13 said:

If confirmed by the judgment, and if there were a referendum, it could make a big difference to the arguments.

If the UK needed the unanimous approval of the other countries to revoke Brexit, that would have raised the question of concessions over our future terms of membership, which could have been a powerful argument against voting to remain.
    Yes, and also it would remove the doubt that the Remain option might not be available at all (for example if some minor player decided to veto it), and therefore be potentially chaotic.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,912

Jonathan said:

You've got to include Clegg!
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, if the tactic which has shown moped crime decline sharply in London is taken off the table, I wonder what might happen...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,817
    Its off Amber Rudd can breathe easy as BBC debate scrapped
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,879

A Met Police officer who knocked a teenager off a moped while employing a new ramming tactic could face criminal charges.

A file of evidence gathered by the police watchdog is to be passed to prosecutors and Scotland Yard. If he is prosecuted, the officer could be charged with actual bodily harm or grievous bodily harm.

The Met could also decide if there is a case to answer for misconduct, which could result in dismissal.

Of course the youth in question was just pottering along on the way home from college and never done wrong in his life...

The boy later pleaded guilty to five offences at the youth court, including theft, dangerous driving, and driving without a licence.

Seems fair enough.

Just because someone is a criminal piece of scum, does not mean the police can perform acts that could injure or kill them when no-one else is being threatened.

IMO a couple of the incidents in those videos went over the line - unless there was context we weren't shown.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

LOL
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I just don't see a flaw in that. Plus it could be done very quickly because there would be no need to have a campaign period. Just ask the people. Ask them.

Or alternatively, with the crisis approaching and the new EU ruling, if May's Deal fails, just rescind Brexit. It is the fastest option. No need for all the months of prep that would be needed for a referendum.

There may well be fall-out, but that will be for later.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    edited December 2018
    Do you think he realises that tarrifs are a tax paid by US Consumers?
  • Options

and TM no longer needs to invent a reason why she had to send Amber Rudd
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    So now we’ll see how good the Labour whipping operation is.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

"some Labour MP s aren't around today "
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Ms C,

"There may well be fall-out, but that will be for later."

I suspect that's what Fidel Castro thought when he urged Kruschev to nuke Washington during the Cuba Missile crisis in 1962.
  • Options
    Goody! I was rather wanting to see another episode of the fabulous Dynasties.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Ms C,

"There may well be fall-out, but that will be for later."

I suspect that's what Fidel Castro thought when he urged Kruschev to nuke Washington during the Cuba Missile crisis in 1962.

Undoubtedly. He would have correct :D
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

They’re bloody useless!
  • Options

It is quite right that the police are held to account if they use excessive force in the course of their duties, even if their actions result in an arrest. That's quite a big 'if' though: the principle of proportionality applies throughout.

The news report is riven through with conditionality: "could" this, "could", "if" this, "if" that. Let's wait and see what's done before being too critical.
  • Options
    NotchNotch Posts: 145
    Nothing said about herd immunity is an argument for mass use of a particular vaccine that is being flogged and heavily promoted by a particular pharmaceutical company and getting "What they said"-ed by the medical fraternity. "Herd immunity is good" does not imply "this vaccine is good".
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    ITV say their offer is still open to Mrs May.

Hoping that ITV have the guts to empty-chair her. She can be represented by a useless bag of nothing.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

You've got to include Clegg!
    Not many people saying "I agree with Nick" this time round!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Anorak said:

This been posted yet? Wars have been started for less, etc, etc.
    https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1069961316738174979

Time to deploy our Trident submarines.
    Shush! A nuclear deterrent only has to be credible. It doesn't have to actually exist.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,089
    I suppose it would also mean we could unilaterally extend the deadline by revoking our notification, and then putting in another one the next day.

Somehow I don't think that would go down too well.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

DanSmith said:

They’re bloody useless!
    To be fair it depends which ones I guess, if the most avid Labour Leavers have decided to give today a miss thats probably better than them voting with the government.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

Hoping that ITV have the guts to empty-chair her. She can be represented by a useless bag of nothing.

So Amber Rudd will be standing in then!
  • Options
    Government Loses
  • Options
    311 - 307 defeat for govt amendment
  • Options

Government Loses

Not so useless afterall, I guess.
  • Options
    Note: government *amendment* defeated.

The opposition parties have won the first vote on the government being in contempt of parliament by 311 noes to 307 ayes.

House to vote on the unamended contempt motion next.
  • Options

DanSmith said:

They’re bloody useless!
    Well they won first vote 311-307
  • Options

Government Loses

On the amendment to kick it into the long grass - main resolution up now
  • Options
    C O N T E M P T
    Find out what it means to me
    C O N T E M P T
    Take care... ERG

• Options

Bollocks. It is Corbyn who is frit.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Its off Amber Rudd can breathe easy as BBC debate scrapped

Chortle. Bravo!
  • Options
    Peston really is an over-excitable chump, though to be fair the Labour Whips' Twitter have put him away here:
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1069995463326269440
  • Options

Corbyn has already accepted ITV's offer. It's up to May now whether she chicken walks away from the head to head debate she asked for...
  • Options
    TM who was so desperate for a head to head debate has so far

Refused to agree to a head to head debate offered by ITV

She is absolutely useless
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Peston really is an over-excitable chump, though to be fair the Labour Whips' Twitter have put him away here:

Assuming the government loses the main motion by a similar margin, what is the significance of it?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,912
    edited December 2018
    Just popped up on my Facebook page, something from the Metro to the effect that because we IMPORT most of our cod and haddock the price of fish and ships is likely to rise.

Our fishermen appafently catch mackerel, langoustine and scallops.

Can't see scallops being a reasonable swap for cod in fish and chips!
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Cox is clutching a large envelope.

What do we think is in it? Change of underpants?
  • Options

Come on Mike, you know that's not true. Corbyn has accepted ITV's offer, it's in May's court now.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Assuming the government loses the main motion by a similar margin, what is the significance of it?
    Well, that depends a bit on what action the Speaker then takes, and who in particular he finds in contempt. Presumably the full advice will have to be published: personally I think this is utterly misguided but it is for Parliament to decide.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Text of the motion currently being voted on:

That this House finds ministers in contempt for their failure to comply with the requirements of the motion for return passed on 13 November 2018, to publish the final and full legal advice provided by the attorney general to the cabinet concerning the EU withdrawal agreement and the framework for the future relationship, and orders its immediate publication.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Well, that depends a bit on what action the Speaker then takes, and who in particular he finds in contempt. Presumably the full advice will have to be published: personally I think this is utterly misguided but it is for Parliament to decide.
    In the first place the Serjeant-at-Arms will be ordered to march Cox to his office and retrieve the documents as requested.
  • Options

How do you work that out.

Perhaps Amber Rudd has a prior engagement
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited December 2018

He's written a letter in 48pt type, as per his rhetorical style, and is just about to hand it to Graham Brady
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Two Dealers suspended from Parliament in contempt
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The country is becoming ungovernable !

Let us remember the words of David Cameron before the 2015 GE.

A vote for Ed Miliband is a vote for a coalition of chaos ! Utterly hilarious given the chaos we’ve seen over the last few years with this inept Tory government !
  • Options

I have never seen a journalist so far out of his depth as Peston is. Time and again he just repeats nonsense that anyone with any understanding of politics could see is nonsense.

I sometimes wonder whether there's a competition to to see what the most ridiculous thing is that they can get him to pass on is.
  • Options
    While normally I think that a debate between leaders should be on BBC first and foremost the BBC do seem to have come up with a ludicrous proposal. ITV's actsully sounds like a proper debate.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Sean_F said:

Presumably, the House would have to pass a vote to suspend MPs?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,200

He's written a letter in 48pt type, as per his rhetorical style, and is just about to hand it to Graham Brady
    Nuclear passcodes to give to Corbyn?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I believe the power to hand out punishments largely resides with Mr Speaker? However, as long as Cox complies and hands over the documents requested, he'll probably get away with a dressing down. If he refuses, he'll be looking at a suspension.
  • Options
    I'm so glad I didn't vote for chaos with Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    Sean_F said:

As I understand it, this is basically a final warning to hand over the advice. If they do, fine. If they "persist in contempt" then a further motion can be put proposing a penalty. I don't think it's up to Bercow.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I think it is up to speaker what happens next, but could be wrong.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The country is becoming ungovernable !

Let us remember the words of David Cameron before the 2015 GE.

A vote for Ed Miliband is a vote for a coalition of chaos ! Utterly hilarious given the chaos we’ve seen over the last few years with this inept Tory government !

Surely Coalition of Chaos was May's line in 2017?

Failing to vote in #Edstone in 2015 is increasingly looking like a failure by the British public.
This discussion has been closed.