Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Geoffrey Cox for next CON leader? He’s head and shoulders abov

Comments

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    There's a delay in the aye lobby.

Ooh matron.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Government lose by 18
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    I see Woodcock voted with the Tories (he's suspended already so I suppose Labour can't deselect him), but most of DUP and two Tories voted with the Opposition.
  • Options
    Motion carries 311 to 293.

Government held in contempt.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nico67 said:

The country is becoming ungovernable !

Let us remember the words of David Cameron before the 2015 GE.

A vote for Ed Miliband is a vote for a coalition of chaos ! Utterly hilarious given the chaos we’ve seen over the last few years with this inept Tory government !

Surely Coalition of Chaos was May's line in 2017?

Failing to vote in #Edstone in 2015 is increasingly looking like a failure by the British public.
    You think it would have been better to have had chaos in 2015 rather than in 2017? A curious view.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Blimey, at this rate May's administration isn't going to make it to the vote
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

While normally I think that a debate between leaders should be on BBC first and foremost the BBC do seem to have come up with a ludicrous proposal. ITV's actsully sounds like a proper debate.

I agree. Head to head. Both should be worried. But May's team will be more worried than Corbyn's.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Government caves in, will publish the full legal advice.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

I see Woodcock voted with the Tories (he's suspended already so I suppose Labour can't deselect him), but most of DUP and two Tories voted with the Opposition.

Who are the Tories?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I thought that was decided by the committee, and not the house?
  • Options
    RobD said:

The motion to refer it to the committee was defeated.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

A vote for Ed Miliband is a vote for a coalition of chaos ! Utterly hilarious given the chaos we’ve seen over the last few years with this inept Tory government !

Failing to vote in #Edstone in 2015 is increasingly looking like a failure by the British public.
    You think it would have been better to have had chaos in 2015 rather than in 2017? A curious view.
    After the last 3 years, PM Ed Milliband and CoE Ed Balls looks a missed opportunity for government that is merely amusing rather than the current lot doing slapstick on the edge of a cliff.
  • Options
    Sir Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, asks a point of order. What can be done to ensure the full legal advice is published?

Andrea Leadsom, the Commons leader, says the full legal advice will be published. But she has also asked the privileges committee to investigate the issues that arise from this.

Guardian
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

The motion to refer it to the committee was defeated.
    Ah, thanks.
  • Options

I thought Mr Cox was to be frogmarched?
  • Options
    Leadsom says the legal advice will be published tomorrow.

She looks deflated and humiliated.
  • Options
    The tactics of the government on this are hard to understand. Were they playing for time, or hoping this would be a distraction? I don't get it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

After the last 3 years, PM Ed Milliband and CoE Ed Balls looks a missed opportunity for government that is merely amusing rather than the current lot doing slapstick on the edge of a cliff.
    The economy is sailing along, merrily, and most people are getting a yoy pay rise and lower petrol prices.

Its only us political anoraks that remember all the little crises.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

This is in the context of the referendum. Now of course Lab wouldn't have offered a referendum but not to have done so would have been less democratic given the 4m who had effectively been disenfranchised.
  • Options

Sadly no frogmarching appears to be necessary because Leadsom caved immediately. :(
  • Options

The tactics of the government on this are hard to understand. Were they playing for time, or hoping this would be a distraction? I don't get it.

I'm increasingly leaning towards the theory that the Chief Whip has lost control of the PCP.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

But that wasn't the choice. You are confusing 2015 with 2017. If (heaven forbade, thank goodness) we'd had the dire spectacle of Ed Miliband as PM, that would not have made the referendum go away, it would merely have delayed it. And in any case, a lot of the present problems are precisely because it's a hung parliament. Why on earth would a Miliband minority government have been any better?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited December 2018
    Mortimer said:

I'm increasingly leaning towards the theory that the Chief Whip has lost control of the PCP.
    If that was the case why is he always so happy!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What a lot of political capital spent defending an indefensible position. And what a warning shot!
  • Options

Well, they only lost (on their amendment) by 4. We may understand better when we have seen the advice: that legal advice should be privileged seems to be a principle worth defending, especially in the context of a negotiation.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Why suffer the humiliation, and then publish?

They could have avoided this by publishing yesterday.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

But that wasn't the choice. You are confusing 2015 with 2017. If (heaven forbade, thank goodness) we'd had the dire spectacle of Ed Miliband as PM, that would not have made the referendum go away, it would merely have delayed it.
    He could not have done worse than Cameron.
  • Options

Leadsom says the legal advice will be published tomorrow.

She looks deflated and humiliated.

But she IS a mother!
  • Options

Well, they only lost (on their amendment) by 4. We may understand better when we have seen the advice: that legal advice should be privileged seems to be a principle worth defending, especially in the context of a negotiation.
    I am minded (and this is a rarity) to give the Government the benefit of the doubt on this one.

But we shall see.
  • Options

Because May is surrounded by people telling her she can win.

She has ZERO idea what's going on.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

While normally I think that a debate between leaders should be on BBC first and foremost the BBC do seem to have come up with a ludicrous proposal. ITV's actually sounds like a proper debate.

Why should BBC be the first resort? They have been completely outplayed by ITV on political coverage for years now. Laura K is a terrible journalist, so painful to watch I have given up entirely on BBC News and now tolerate the crap ads and woeful investigative stuff on ITV just to avoid her. Election night coverage is far, far superior on ITV. And the TV debates are consistently better.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Leadsom says she has listened to all sides of the House. Only a couple of years too late.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nico67 said:

The economy is sailing along, merrily, and most people are getting a yoy pay rise and lower petrol prices.

Its only us political anoraks that remember all the little crises.
    Under the 2 Eds we would have been thriving, and Corbyn would be a never was on the backbenches, a Brexit referendum would be in the future. It would be an interesting counterfactual.
  • Options

True, the first vote was close enough that they must have thought they had a chance.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Anazina said:

While normally I think that a debate between leaders should be on BBC first and foremost the BBC do seem to have come up with a ludicrous proposal. ITV's actually sounds like a proper debate.

Why should BBC be the first resort? They have been completely outplayed by ITV on political coverage for years now. Laura K is a terrible journalist, so painful to watch I have given up entirely on BBC News and now tolerate the crap ads and woeful investigative stuff on ITV just to avoid her. Election night coverage is far, far superior on ITV. And the TV debates are consistently better.
    Laura K a terrible journalist? Far from it
  • Options

Mortimer said:

If that was the case why is he always so happy!
    Haven't you seen the size of is majority in Skip & Rip? He could be the last Tory standing.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Anazina said:

Oh she is. Take it from one who knows. She is utterly dire.
  • Options
    The government's argument that current legal advice should be withheld because future legal advice might contain commercial or national security sensibilities is cretinous.

Why not withhold the advice only when it *does*, rather than when it *doesn't*.

Better still, why not provide a mechanism for partially redacting such advice so this stupid goddamn situation never happens again.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited December 2018
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Brexit is not dead yet but it is lying on the floor toga askew and a few men with knives stand peering over it
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

Yes, I really cannot understand it, it defies reason. It'd be called humiliation either way but they could have avoided some ignominy at least.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Brom said:

Anazina said:

Oh she is. Take it from one who knows. She is utterly dire.
    Anything specific?
  • Options

The government's argument that current legal advice should be withheld because future legal advice might contain commercial or national security sensibilities is cretinous.

Better still, why not provide a mechanism for partially redacting such advice so this stupid goddamn situation never happens again.

There is a mechanism - they can show the advice to the opposition leaders under Privy Council terms, and agree any redaction necessary.

Of course, that does rather assume that the leader of the opposition isn't a terrorist-supporting extremist who sides with our enemies.
  • Options

Sadly no frogmarching appears to be necessary because Leadsom caved immediately. :(
    It's not really fair, but I think that this isn't making Mike's bet that he'll be next leader very likely - he'll be remembered as the chap who lost a key vote.
  • Options
    May on ITV deal

Appears to have done a

I'M THE PM GET ME OUT OF HEEERE
  • Options

There is a mechanism - they can show the advice to the opposition leaders under Privy Council terms, and agree any redaction necessary.

Of course, that does rather assume that the leader of the opposition isn't a terrorist-supporting extremist who sides with our enemies.
    Perhaps if they'd made that argument in Parliament they would have gotten a fair few sympathetic Labour switchers.
  • Options

I am minded (and this is a rarity) to give the Government the benefit of the doubt on this one.

But we shall see.
    I'm not. I get defending that principle but after they did not contest the first vote about releasing it the game was up.
  • Options

It's not really fair, but I think that this isn't making Mike's bet that he'll be next leader very likely - he'll be remembered as the chap who lost a key vote.
    Surely that was Ms Leadsom?
  • Options

Brexit is not dead yet but it is lying on the floor toga askew and a few men with knives stand peering over it

and Brutus is Boris?
  • Options

Who is managing the Commons for Labour? They have done a cracking job.
  • Options

He shall be associated with refusing to provide the advice as demanded - weren't people saying he could be suspended for this? - so he will be remembered for it.
  • Options
    When the opposition starts defeating a government it is really hard for the government to recover. If you can defeat them once, you can do it again.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It has been a first-class performance from Labour from start to finish. They are serious.
  • Options
    Bradley on BBC is right - if MPs go to talk to their constituents they might find that approval of the deal is increasing. Whether that will make a difference we don't of course know.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

When the opposition starts defeating a government it is really hard for the government to recover. If you can defeat them once, you can do it again.

Well in the short term at least the DUP are essentially part of the the opposition bloc, and on any Brexit issue the government is heavily divided, so winning votes in the next few weeks will be tricky.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

VONC due on the 12th isn't it?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

It has been a first-class performance from Labour from start to finish. They are serious.
    I'll grant that they are serious about embarrassing and defeating the Government. On Brexit policy, not so much.
  • Options
    DUP: “We haven’t broken the confidence & supply deal - Theresa May broke it”

Never cross an Ulster Unionist.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

And Sir Keir boosts his leadership chances with every passing day.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Peston really is an over-excitable chump, though to be fair the Labour Whips' Twitter have put him away here:
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1069995463326269440

I have never seen a journalist so far out of his depth as Peston is. Time and again he just repeats nonsense that anyone with any understanding of politics could see is nonsense.

I sometimes wonder whether there's a competition to to see what the most ridiculous thing is that they can get him to pass on is.
    I'm not sure why people are so down on Preston, but he's got a really good analysis of the implications of Grieve's amendment:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1069981350822899712
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    We live in strange times .

What price the DUP supporting Labours Customs Union plan ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Bradley on BBC is right - if MPs go to talk to their constituents they might find that approval of the deal is increasing. Whether that will make a difference we don't of course know.

The problem is the bubble effect - even if approval of the deal is increasing (and it'll be interesting to see if that changes now remain is very much back on the table) the Commons seems to be focused on its own struggles and procedures, on securing GEs or changes in direction, and they are whipped up into a frenzy where I don't feel a trend toward the deal in their constituencies will permeate that bubble.
  • Options

Idiotic talk like that is why your party is in this mess.

Your leader couldn't debate a 5 year old child
  • Options
    I can't see how the government can avoid defeat on the Grieve amendment. Not only are the numbers in his favour, he's also got a strong argument, given that there is no longer any risk that the amendment will compromise the government's negotiating position.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

He seems to be leading them on the Brexit issue in every sense of the word. He can be cynical and disingenuous, but he seems quite competent and has played the whole thing very well to get toward his own preferred outcome, regardless of where the leadership might have been.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Yes, he does. If we're ever in the mood to elect a leader with no very clear ideological profile who is simply competent and serious, he's in pole position.
  • Options

A contempt motion is neither a confidence nor a supply motion, so it's moot.
  • Options

That may be, but at least she has never invited terrorists into parliament to rub the noses of victims in the horrors of a recent bombing and attempt to destroy an elected government.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Jonathan said:

Yes, he does. If we're ever in the mood to elect a leader with no very clear ideological profile who is simply competent and serious, he's in pole position.
    I’d vote for Sir Keir in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

The problem is the bubble effect - even if approval of the deal is increasing (and it'll be interesting to see if that changes now remain is very much back on the table) the Commons seems to be focused on its own struggles and procedures, on securing GEs or changes in direction, and they are whipped up into a frenzy where I don't feel a trend toward the deal in their constituencies will permeate that bubble.
    plus the GE is three and a half years away.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

He sure does.
  • Options

We tried to tell you Theresa. Doing a deal with the DUP will *end in tears* we said.

But you wouldn't listen...
  • Options

He seems to be leading them on the Brexit issue in every sense of the word. He can be cynical and disingenuous, but he seems quite competent and has played the whole thing very well to get toward his own preferred outcome, regardless of where the leadership might have been.

He has played Corbyn as well as May.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

If Sir Keir were leader you'd be 25 points ahead. And that's not even a particularly strong endorsement of Sir Keir, any sensible figure would do.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

It's hard, prima facie, to look at this Parliament as it is constituted today, and find it a house capable in any way of enduring another three and a half years of tortured existence.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Could be three and a half months away the way things are going.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Is scheduled to be three and half years away.

I don't see how this government can function even past the new year. Obviously FTPA is an obstacle, but just how on earth will this shambles drag on beyond Brexit (if it even occurs - I put it as more likely than not it does not occur)?
  • Options

He has played Corbyn as well as May.

And he'd pick up a shedload of soft Cons votes if he lead Lab into the next GE. Mine, for example, if "my" party is lead by the likes of Johnson, Redwood, Bridgen, Francois et al.
  • Options

We tried to tell you Theresa. DoingBetraying a deal with the DUP will *end in tears* we said.

Fixed that for you.
  • Options

We tried to tell you Theresa. Doing a deal with the DUP will *end in tears* we said.

What would you have had her do? Ask Labour to agree another GE? Stumble along right from the start with a minority government full of potential rebellions on Brexit?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

You mean the only deal with a Parliamentary majority that also meets the DUP Red Lines
  • Options
    kle4 said:

What would you have had her do? Ask Labour to agree another GE? Stumble along right from the start with a minority government full of potential rebellions on Brexit?
    Having made a deal I'd have had her honour it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    kle4 said:

Either you do a deal with one party, or you have to do lots of mini-deals, which becomes impossible
  • Options
    Since this is surely about Brexit and not about party advantage, how about May says after the deal is voted down that the plan is they won't hold a referendum or GE, but they will all ask the EU for an extension and Labour can negotiate to see if they can come up with a better deal, then they can come back and parliament will vote on the two options?

Sounds ridiculous, but frankly Labour have a better chance of getting something through the Commons.
  • Options
    It's Starmer of the Remove on the BBC being interviewed now.

I half expect Billy Bunter to come up to him at any moment and ask to borrow five shillings.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Having made a deal I'd have had her honour it.
    That was not the point grabcoque was making though.
  • Options
    House is divided on the Grieve amendment.

This should carry by a pretty sizable margin, I'd think?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

I can't see how the government can avoid defeat on the Grieve amendment. Not only are the numbers in his favour, he's also got a strong argument, given that there is no longer any risk that the amendment will compromise the government's negotiating position.

Particularly since he's told the house that he won't be amending any primary legislation.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Peston really is an over-excitable chump, though to be fair the Labour Whips' Twitter have put him away here:
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1069995463326269440

I have never seen a journalist so far out of his depth as Peston is. Time and again he just repeats nonsense that anyone with any understanding of politics could see is nonsense.

I sometimes wonder whether there's a competition to to see what the most ridiculous thing is that they can get him to pass on is.
    I'm sure tom bradby is itching to punch him sometimes.
  • Options

Yep, maybe a majority of 40ish?
  • Options

DUP voting with Government
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Particularly since he's told the house that he won't be amending any primary legislation.
    He'd do anything it took to get Remain, but in any case his amendment seems to have easily enough support to carry. Very bad day for the government, not that they will have many good days between now and the MV.
  • Options

DUP voting with Government
    If so, then it might be close.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

That may be, but at least she has never invited terrorists into parliament to rub the noses of victims in the horrors of a recent bombing and attempt to destroy an elected government.
    Point taken. Labour cocked up royally by allowing Corbyn's trojan horse to come in and take over. Starmer or Cooper would be excellent leaders. But I'm still going to vote for Corbyn's Labour because I want a government that believes in compassion and opportunity.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He shall be associated with refusing to provide the advice as demanded - weren't people saying he could be suspended for this? - so he will be remembered for it.
    What a Cox up.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

If Sir Keir were leader you'd be 25 points ahead. And that's not even a particularly strong endorsement of Sir Keir, any sensible figure would do.
    Macron
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Maybe the DUP have just been offered something
  • Options
    Anazina said:

kle4 said:

What a Cox up.
    Cox out.
  • Options

nico67 said:

You mean the only deal with a Parliamentary majority that also meets the DUP Red Lines
    And the ever repeatable question - if the DUP could go into government with Martin McGuinness, why would Corbyn be a step too far as keeps being claimed?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Macron
    What about Macron? France has a very different political culture compared to the UK.
This discussion has been closed.