Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On a huge political day the main Brexit linked betting changes

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Months and months ago I, and others I am sure, speculated that if any top Brexiteer was to flip back to remain and kind of make it work, it would be Boris. His words there are once again so anti the deal, or any similar deal, that remaining seems very viable.
    Since deep down I think he is a remainer, were not adopting a contrary stance so much to his apparent personal advantage (at least until that moment when he was photographed having just won the vote), there was a time when I thought you were right, and saw that as a possible solution. But he is now so discredited that I am not sure any sensible remainer would want him on board.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited December 2018

HYUFD said:

I don't mind the Norway option much - it works well enough for Norway! Thanks to Andy Cooke for his handy overview of it on the last thread. However, it preserves freedom of movement, and there's very strong evidence that FOM is the main thing that most Leavers were trying to escape. I can't see it standing up to serious scrutiny when people contemplate the potential backlash.

Boris is certainly toast in the Parliamentary party in terms of getting to the last 2. But if there's a split, I wonder if he might lead the Brexiteers - they would have a decent chance with him as he has universal recognition and a significant following. Compared with Farage, who IMO would not top 15%, he'd be a better bet to actually win seats.

There are at least 80 Tory MPs who are staunch Brexiteers, if they get behind Boris they alone will ensure he gets to the final 2
    He looked a defeated man tonight with zest gone and under attack from fellow conservatives

Game over and even he knows it.

If he was even given a chance there would be defections. He is over
    In the Conservative Party maybe... But what would his future be in a new Farage Party?

They were spotted having dinner together a few weeks back... ;)
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 27

HYUFD said:

I don't mind the Norway option much - it works well enough for Norway! Thanks to Andy Cooke for his handy overview of it on the last thread. However, it preserves freedom of movement, and there's very strong evidence that FOM is the main thing that most Leavers were trying to escape. I can't see it standing up to serious scrutiny when people contemplate the potential backlash.

Boris is certainly toast in the Parliamentary party in terms of getting to the last 2. But if there's a split, I wonder if he might lead the Brexiteers - they would have a decent chance with him as he has universal recognition and a significant following. Compared with Farage, who IMO would not top 15%, he'd be a better bet to actually win seats.

There are at least 80 Tory MPs who are staunch Brexiteers, if they get behind Boris they alone will ensure he gets to the final 2
    He looked a defeated man tonight with zest gone and under attack from fellow conservatives

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The government has shown it does not have the necessary will and numbers to govern and parliament has shown it does not have the numbers to act decisively (except maybe for Norway?)

Can’t belive I’m saying this but it’s time for a GE.

Which acvording to the polls will lead to just more indecision and an even more hung parliament
    As the previous election showed, we can’t guarantee a result based on pre campaign polls.
    The Tories poll rating of 42% actually almost exactly matched that at the start of the campaign, all that happened was Corbyn squeezed the minor parties votes which he cannot do again.
    The next election hangs, as I have said before, upon who is unsqueezed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    As I say, an exhausted-looking Boris (to me at least) seems almost resigned to the outcome now.
    The more BINO the Brexit ironically the better for Boris as he can then lead the Brexiteer backlash
    What backlash. They are much diminished and losing influence by the hour
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 27
    In the Rodeo of British Politics Boris chose Bull Riding - High risk, maximum gain.. Got thrown off and ground in to the dust. Should have stuck to Team Roping!
  • Options

eek said:

kle4 said:

Johnson bumbling around now. Quite the busted flush these days.

That's future PM Johnson, thank you.

Actually I have no idea who the Tories could possibly choose. I've no doubt Hunt and Javid will twist to positions more pleasing to the membership once May goes next week, but the true believers still won't buy anything from them, Johnson seems to be very disliked by MPs, strong remainers are right out, so who? Contemptuous Cox? Come on.
    Liddington if May leaves immediately and I suspect Gove when the party election finishes...
    Liddington is 65 on BF
    Lidington is 100/1 with Betfred.
    Thanks.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    As I say, an exhausted-looking Boris (to me at least) seems almost resigned to the outcome now.
    The more BINO the Brexit ironically the better for Boris as he can then lead the Brexiteer backlash
    I honestly don't think there will be one; people have had enough and if things settle down after a BINO type deal, no-one will be willing to hear much more from the Brexit hardnuts, whose reputations and credibility are mostly shot. Their only chance of any sort of backlash is if we remain.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Pulpstar said:

Think this is a shift, SNP coming out for straight up remain.

I'm surprised they would have pretended otherwise up until now.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

In the Conservative Party maybe... But what would his future be in a new Farage Party?

They are welcome to him. The sooner he decides to go the better
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Boris gets to the final 2 up against a Remainer, he’ll win. Even as a Leaver I think that would be a mistake but I would support him against a Remainer just as you would support any Remainer against any Leaver. I don’t see how the party holds together myself.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    I think Farage is planning to lead the backlash. At least he can say he had absolutely naught to do with it all.

Boris was iirc the Foreign Sec during most of this mess.
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325

FOM is potentially fixable, FSVO "fixable", along the lines of the IPPR's proposals: https://www.ippr.org/files/publications/pdf/free-movement-welfare_Nov2015.pdf
    Not within the EEA or EU it isn't. Cameron would have tried it if he could. These were fantastical legal claims by people trying to get us to stay in the EU.

If the political elite turn around and tell the working class that unlimited immigration is back to stay, the backlash will be bigger than almost all of them are expecting. "Your vote doesn't count. We will keep asking until you are defeated" is an explosive position. MPs are playing with fire.
  • Options
    Novo said:

HYUFD said:

I agree he looked defeated. Exhausted and lacking the zest.

His hero would say KBO.

Will Boris?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Pulpstar said:

So they suddenly aren't bothered about fishing rights anymore.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The government has shown it does not have the necessary will and numbers to govern and parliament has shown it does not have the numbers to act decisively (except maybe for Norway?)

Which acvording to the polls will lead to just more indecision and an even more hung parliament
    As the previous election showed, we can’t guarantee a result based on pre campaign polls.
    The Tories poll rating of 42% actually almost exactly matched that at the start of the campaign, all that happened was Corbyn squeezed the minor parties votes which he cannot do again.
    Your thinking the election will be a normal Con Vs Lab election. It will not.

At the moment all the main parties are speaking for the 48%. Nobody is speaking for the 52% and in fact the 52% is held in contempt by the establishment.

That's not sustainable so inevitably a new party for the 52% will rise to fill the vacuum. Add to that the looming Con split and you can see how the right of center vote will be torn apart allowing Labour through the middle.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Huge risk. I presume in between studying Greek and Sumerian, Boris had a glance at the workings of FPTP?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    We all need a bit of light relief. That made me laugh
  • Options
    Next election will be next year and Britain will not leave the EU. Corbyn will be PM, the Tory Party will be decimated, businesses will flee the U.K. and we’ll regret we ever stuck with May for so long or defied the referendum result.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

So lots of fun on PB today I assume :wink:

What strikes me is despite the utter uselessness of governments (and its a similar story in other western countries) life for almost all people continues to roll on as normal.

There must be great inertia in modern society.

I wonder if this was how people felt in the last century of the Roman Empire.

That's why we need something bigger than the traditional Nation State. With some form of democratic management.

The Roman Empire had become concentrated on its own small centre.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    On the one hand we live in a time of zombie politics. No argument is ever truly dead, or incapable of being resurrected by a sufficiently charismatic leader. If people are looking for a grievance then they would have a whopper to latch onto.

On the other hand, I'm reminded of the salience of the EU in the Mori Issues polling over the years, and if it was settled, and no longer a source of uncertainty then, provided immigration from the EU did not surge again I could see it being forgotten.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

At the moment all the main parties are speaking for the 48%. Nobody is speaking for the 52% and in fact the 52% is held in contempt by the establishment.

That's not sustainable so inevitably a new party for the 52% will rise to fill the vacuum. Add to that the looming Con split and you can see how the right of center vote will be torn apart allowing Labour through the middle.
    Theresa May is speaking for the 52%. She has won back control of immigration, UK courts supreme over British law again and the ability to go and ended vast billions being sent to Brussels each year.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

Charlatans and liars, just like Labour.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Boris gets to the final 2 up against a Remainer, he’ll win. Even as a Leaver I think that would be a mistake but I would support him against a Remainer just as you would support any Remainer against any Leaver. I don’t see how the party holds together myself.
    Win and he would lose several defections and any chance of governing
  • Options
    Just a thought...but:

Did May instruct some of her supposed loyal types to support Grieve?

i.e. I want Parliament to take the next step?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Theo said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Theresa May is speaking for the 52%. She has won back control of immigration, UK courts supreme over British law again and the ability to go and ended vast billions being sent to Brussels each year.
    What will the annual contribution for the future relationship be? You have no way of knowing so it's completely misleading to say we will stop sending billions to Brussels each year.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    All roads to Brexit (other than no deal) still lead through the Withdrawal agreement. That is one of the things so ridiculous about all the current debate about "Norway" etc. We aren't going to have "Norway" from 1st April next year. We would have two years of effective continued EU membership during the transition period, followed by Norway afterwards - as the solution negotiated through the trade deal.

May's deal doesn't rule out a Norway solution, but a Norway solution requires the withdrawal agreement. Realistically anybody opposing the Withdrawal agreement can only be in favour of Remain or No deal as an alternative. Various stripes of alternative Brexits, still lead through the transition period that requires the Withdrawal Agreement.
  • Options
    Talking to family this evening, some previously hardcore leaver relatives seem to have thrown in the towel and have switched to "what's the point... we might as well remain"; no real anger more resignation. Interesting to see where opinion polls move - or not - over coming days
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Remember how earlier this year some people tried to claim that foreign investment in the UK had collapsed ?

' Investment into the UK from foreign companies rose to the highest level ever recorded last year as investors shrug off Brexit worries.

The value of the UK’s foreign direct investment (FDI) stocks in 2017 was £1,336.5bn, a rise of £149.2bn since 2016, according to figures published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The total, which is a record high, was boosted by a 321 per cent growth in investments from India.

Outward investment also increased by £38.7bn to £1,313.3bn over the period. Earnings from these investments enjoyed considerable growth, reversing the negative trend seen in recent years. '

http://www.cityam.com/270147/uk-foreign-investment-hits-record-high-investors-shun

Please don't let a tiny thing like facts get in the way of the remainiacs doom porn.

Also see

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-04/mervyn-king-says-may-s-brexit-deal-is-a-betrayal

"Before the referendum, official economic projections intended to scare the country into voting Remain didn’t succeed. Based on flimsy and arbitrary assumptions, they were subsequently proved wrong. The same strategy has resurfaced.

It saddens me to see the Bank of England unnecessarily drawn into this project. The Bank’s latest worst-case scenario shows the cost of leaving without a deal exceeding 10 percent of GDP. Two factors are responsible for the size of this effect: first, the assertion that productivity will fall because of lower trade; second, the assumption that disruption at borders — queues of lorries and interminable customs checks — will continue year after year. Neither is plausible. On this I concur with Paul Krugman. He’s no friend of Brexit and believes that Britain would be better off inside the EU — but on the claim of lower productivity, he describes the Bank’s estimates as “black box numbers” that are “dubious” and “questionable.” And on the claim of semi-permanent dislocation, he just says, “Really?” I agree: The British civil service may not be perfect, but it surely isn’t as bad as that. "
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    On the one hand we live in a time of zombie politics. No argument is ever truly dead, or incapable of being resurrected by a sufficiently charismatic leader. If people are looking for a grievance then they would have a whopper to latch onto.

On the other hand, I'm reminded of the salience of the EU in the Mori Issues polling over the years, and if it was settled, and no longer a source of uncertainty then, provided immigration from the EU did not surge again I could see it being forgotten.
    You are living in a dreamland if you think a hundred thousand unskilled workers coming to the UK every year with no limits on it will be forgotten. Especially if people who had long felt disenfranchised by politics finally got to have a say on it and then their victory got overturned. Remain won't put the fire out. It will throw gasoline on it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited December 2018
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Excuse me. When did I say I would not support a leaver. Not an ERG member but there are many euro sceptics in the party

The party will hold together, painfully maybe, butnCorbyn unites the whole party to keep him out
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Next election will be next year and Britain will not leave the EU. Corbyn will be PM, the Tory Party will be decimated, businesses will flee the U.K. and we’ll regret we ever stuck with May for so long or defied the referendum result.

Evening David. I mean Andy, sorry.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Blue on blue now.

This is a government falling to pieces in front of our eyes.

That has been the case for months, yet still the Tories level with Labour in the polls and May leads Corbyn as best PM
    Something is going to give at some point. Even if you want to vote Tory how would you even know what you might be voting for if there were an election? Labour's Brexit policy is a deliberately vague contradiction, but at least I know it, the Tories could be backing anything by next week when May goes, and even then hundreds of them will be supporting some other thing, who knows what any candidates might think.
    It won't as most Tory voters would vote for them over Corbyn even if Tory MPs were machinegunning each other in the Commons whether that have agreed on anything or not
    I think quite a lot of Tory voters would simply abstain at the moment. The party is driving itself into the ground and appears incapable of running the country in any coherent fashion, good or bad. Tory voters will be deeply sceptical of Corbyn, but Labour has managed to look reasonably coherent for the last year and both McDonnell and Starmer are clearly competent. You can't beat something with nothing, and I think a fair number of voters will shrug and say "OK, let them have a go while the Tories sort themselves out".
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    edited December 2018
    Theo said:

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm no, the SNP aren't liars - they're straight up about remaining. Many on the Labour side are being deeply duplicitous.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's just crap, though, isn't it? There is no 52%. There is a small number of libertarian Brexit fanatics on the right. There is a larger number of people strongly opposed to the EU largely because of open borders and immigration. Then there is a larger still number of people who don't, and never did, care that much about Europe either way but chose to vote Leave on balance for a variety of reasons of which funding for the NHS figures highly (just as there are a mass of Remain voters who aren't strongly pro-EU).

There is no political market of any size for the first group (which is why they have always tried to hijack the Tory Party from within). The third group don't care enough. Whether or not the second group might back some sort of new Banks/Farage type enterprise is indeed an open question, but (as with much of UKIPs support) they would draw support from across the political spectrum.
  • Options

Theo said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What will the annual contribution for the future relationship be? You have no way of knowing so it's completely misleading to say we will stop sending billions to Brussels each year.
    As things stand, nothing. If it is anything near the current amount we turn it down and seek trade elsewhere. It's not like the EU can shut the borders on us.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    edited December 2018
    Scott_P said:
    6 on BFEx on the Deal passing at present, and an interesting new market on the number of Ayes.

The Headbangers are indeed a bit dim, but I also reckon that they will funk it.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

OllyT said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT (so we can go through this thread without it being repeased)

Novo said:

None of the analysis here reflects on our changing Demographics might effect the outcome of a second referendum. There are roughly 500,000m deaths each year in the uk. If we assume that 75% voted leave and they are replaced by 16-17yr old from 2016 who would vote 75% to remain, then the original majority has probably disappeared. We should have sought a 60%+ majority for such major consitutional change. Parliament and our people are hopelessly divided - a good reason for staying as we are!

Oh not this rubbish again!

For every old person who dies another old person replaces them and they tend to be just as right wing.

Hence the reason we don't stop having right of center governments!
    Generally I would be inclined to agree but not over such a short time scale. People might become more conservative over decades as they get older but I doubt anyone has suddenly become more Brexity because they are 2 years older.

You might not care to admit it but demographics will undoubtedly help Remain if there is a second vote. Deaths will have come overwhelmingly from the most Brexit demographic and youngsters joining the register are likely to be overwhelmingly remain. I'm not sure how you can seriously argue otherwise.
    The whole electorate has had two more years to watch the EU in action. Some who previously voted remain will no doubt have misgivings about its behaviour.
    The polling evidence would suggest that more leavers are switching to remain than the other way around. However the point of the demographic argument is that the leave majority has all but disappeared even if nobody else has changed their minds.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Talking to family this evening, some previously hardcore leaver relatives seem to have thrown in the towel and have switched to "what's the point... we might as well remain"; no real anger more resignation. Interesting to see where opinion polls move - or not - over coming days

I agree. Outside political circles Brexit is a massive yawn and people just want it to go away. The chances that there will be a massive backlash if we end up with BRINO or remain are wildly overstated, mostly by people who spent their entire lives obsessing about the EU and think that everyone else has done the same. But they haven't.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Huge risk. I presume in between studying Greek and Sumerian, Boris had a glance at the workings of FPTP?

It's interesting, though, isn't it?

Thus far the cast-iron argument against a new centrist party has been that it's doomed under FPTP, as SDP Mark 1 was. Because if the Radicals or the Democrats or the Together Mix take 30% of the vote, most of that is off Labour and so the Tories live to fight another day.

But what if there's a new right-wing party as well? Farage+Boris vs May+Hammond vs Chuka+Soubry+Vince vs Corbyn+McDonnell. You potentially have four parties roughly scrapping around the 20-30% mark.

Uncharted waters. Obviously it'll never happen. But "obviously" doesn't work so well on a day where the Government has lost three votes in a row.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    6 on BFEx at present, and an interesting new marker on the number of Ayes
    https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1070041963561476101
  • Options
    Theo said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

You are living in a dreamland if you think a hundred thousand unskilled workers coming to the UK every year with no limits on it will be forgotten. Especially if people who had long felt disenfranchised by politics finally got to have a say on it and then their victory got overturned. Remain won't put the fire out. It will throw gasoline on it.
    I did mention immigration quite specifically as a potential stumbling block.

I don't know what level of immigration from the EU would be high enough to cause political problems. Maybe 100,000 a year would be enough. I don't make a judgement on it. What I say is that it might be the only thing that would be able to keep the issue alive. Without it the importance of the issue disappears.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Theo said:

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm no, the SNP aren't liars - they're straight up about remaining. Many on the Labour side are being deeply duplicitous.
    They claimed to oppose the deal because it didn't guarantee 100% repatriation of fishing rights. Now they are supporting a position that guarantees 0% repatriation.

But once again the Remain media doesn't call out the hypocrisy of Remainers.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Win and he would lose several defections and any chance of governing
    Undoubtedly, but he’ll still win if he gets to the final two. He might even win a general election against Corbyn but he would be a terrible PM and not last long. Labour however might at least find someone sensible to replace Corbyn. The Tories will elect a Remainer and allow Corbyn in or another Leaver andallow Brexit to proceed. Don’t see the latter happening myself.
  • Options

Thus far the cast-iron argument against a new centrist party has been that it's doomed under FPTP, as SDP Mark 1 was. Because if the Radicals or the Democrats or the Together Mix take 30% of the vote, most of that is off Labour and so the Tories live to fight another day.

But what if there's a new right-wing party as well? Farage+Boris vs May+Hammond vs Chuka+Soubry+Vince vs Corbyn+McDonnell. You potentially have four parties roughly scrapping around the 20-30% mark.

Uncharted waters. Obviously it'll never happen. But "obviously" doesn't work so well on a day where the Government has lost three votes in a row.
    Interesting stuff.

Goodwin has pointed out, many times, that the most likely new party is not some Blair centrist thing but a social conservative, Brexit-loving, economically to the slight left, thing to the right.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's just crap, though, isn't it? There is no 52%. There is a small number of libertarian Brexit fanatics on the right. There is a larger number of people strongly opposed to the EU largely because of open borders and immigration. Then there is a larger still number of people who don't, and never did, care that much about Europe either way but chose to vote Leave on balance for a variety of reasons of which funding for the NHS figures highly (just as there are a mass of Remain voters who aren't strongly pro-EU).

There is no political market of any size for the first group (which is why they have always tried to hijack the Tory Party from within). The third group don't care enough. Whether or not the second group might back some sort of new Banks/Farage type enterprise is indeed an open question, but (as with much of UKIPs support) they would draw support from across the political spectrum.
    Yep - suspect far less people are ultimately obsessed by Brexit than people on here possibly seem to think!

To think that 52 per cent will vote for the hard Brexiteer option is a non starter; let alone as their primary issue of focus at a GE (vs. NHS, education, taxes, etc); it is a hardcore minority who will fight on. Everyone else will move on I suspect....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2018
    Scott_P said:
    I presume the scoring system of the Eton wall game working a bit differently to other games?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Blue on blue now.

That has been the case for months, yet still the Tories level with Labour in the polls and May leads Corbyn as best PM
    Something is going to give at some point. Even if you want to vote Tory how would you even know what you might be voting for if there were an election? Labour's Brexit policy is a deliberately vague contradiction, but at least I know it, the Tories could be backing anything by next week when May goes, and even then hundreds of them will be supporting some other thing, who knows what any candidates might think.
    It won't as most Tory voters would vote for them over Corbyn even if Tory MPs were machinegunning each other in the Commons whether that have agreed on anything or not
    I think quite a lot of Tory voters would simply abstain at the moment. The party is driving itself into the ground and appears incapable of running the country in any coherent fashion, good or bad. Tory voters will be deeply sceptical of Corbyn, but Labour has managed to look reasonably coherent for the last year and both McDonnell and Starmer are clearly competent. You can't beat something with nothing, and I think a fair number of voters will shrug and say "OK, let them have a go while the Tories sort themselves out".
    How are the polls and best leader ratings doing just now Nick
  • Options

I agree. Outside political circles Brexit is a massive yawn and people just want it to go away. The chances that there will be a massive backlash if we end up with BRINO or remain are wildly overstated, mostly by people who spent their entire lives obsessing about the EU and think that everyone else has done the same. But they haven't.
    We may well come full circle. Until a few years ago (a number which can be more precisely measured by using the number of appearances by Farage on the bbc :-) ) most people couldn't give a cuss about the detail of the EU.

• Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018

There will undoubtedly be a huge backlash if there is no Brexit.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

Have you been speaking to my ex? She did vow that she would smear my reputation...
  • Options
    JRM was speculating it will be 5 votes either way earlier today for what that is worth. I can’t believe it will be that close. The deal has nothinggoing for it.
  • Options

Remainer trying to convince himself that overturning the referendum result will have no consequences?
  • Options

What strikes me is despite the utter uselessness of governments (and its a similar story in other western countries) life for almost all people continues to roll on as normal.

That's why we need something bigger than the traditional Nation State. With some form of democratic management.

As has the EU.

And its 'democratic management' is based upon allowing only what its self-perpetuating leadership wants.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I presume the scoring system of the Eton wall game working a bit differently to other games?
    Well, that's made Private Eye's 'Colman Balls' column (can't remember exactly what it is called now)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Evening David. I mean Andy, sorry.
    Sorry, pal. I don’t know who David is but he’s not me.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I doubt it. As I said yesterday, this isn't France. If Brexit is abrogated, I just won't vote Tory again. It will be very sad that the country would have sold itself for a mess of pottage, but I won't let bitterness consume me - bad for the complexion if nothing else!
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/04/brexit-fatigue-basildon-essex

With in-laws from Basildon my experience of the town every time I visit is that eyes were glazed over a long time ago...
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Liked May’s line to parliament that the outcome has to satisfy the 52% who voted Leave as well as the 48% who voted Remain. That all this is corrosive to our politics and that all progress is built on compromise.

She might have been bullied into it. The Citizens of Nowhere might now be, erm, nowhere. But she got there, eventually.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018

HYUFD said:

Excuse me. When did I say I would not support a leaver. Not an ERG member but there are many euro sceptics in the party

The party will hold together, painfully maybe, butnCorbyn unites the whole party to keep him out
    Name 1 Leaver whom you would support against a Remainer.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited December 2018

HYUFD said:

Far from it, game is only just beginning.

Of course he is not going to be happy he is not getting pure Brexit, all the better for him to lead the Brexiteer backlash
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

As has the EU.

And its 'democratic management' is based upon allowing only what its self-perpetuating leadership wants.
    its moving in th right direction, though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Head to head against Remain even No Deal gets at least 45% ie the same as Yes got in Scotland in 2014 and we all know what happened after the nationalist backlash in Scotland at General election 2015
  • Options
    Margaret Beckett clearly didn't read @Antifrank piece on trade negotiations.
  • Options
    Brilliant intervention from Margaret Beckett. Authoritative, Experienced, Factual.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even Labour lost lots of votes to UKIP in 2015 as it could do again if BINO
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Blue on blue now.

I’m instinctively antagonistic to McDonnell as you would expect from someone well to the right of him. But I’ve been very impressed by him. He presents as pragmatic and competent even if he is not.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Just watching back Boris. What a rambling incoherent idiot.

Why didn't he just stand up, say he disagrees with the deal, sit down and let what he didn't say speak for him. Instead he is proving his moronicity.
  • Options

Brilliant intervention from Margaret Beckett. Authoritative, Experienced, Factual.

She always be a moron.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    I honestly don't think there will be one; people have had enough and if things settle down after a BINO type deal, no-one will be willing to hear much more from the Brexit hardnuts, whose reputations and credibility are mostly shot. Their only chance of any sort of backlash is if we remain.
    There are more than enough Brexit hardliners to provide 20 to 25% for a new populist anti immigration party and we have our own FN, AfD, Swedish Democrats or Lega Nord
  • Options

Interesting stuff.

Goodwin has pointed out, many times, that the most likely new party is not some Blair centrist thing but a social conservative, Brexit-loving, economically to the slight left, thing to the right.
    I was with you until you write ‘thing to the right’. Eh?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Blue on blue now.

I’m instinctively antagonistic to McDonnell as you would expect from someone well to the right of him. But I’ve been very impressed by him. He presents as pragmatic and competent even if he is not.
    He is a man that supported a killing campaign against British citizens.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Blue on blue now.

Presents being the operative word.
  • Options

She always be a moron.
    Triggered Art 50 when she clearly never intended to follow through with any sort of Brexit, ever.
    No clue about how long trade deals take.
    Got Corbyn on the ballot.
  • Options

She always be a moron.
    She is pretty much the first speaker that I have heard (I missed the PM's intro) who recognises the seriousness and import of the debate and is making points of substance rather than just trying to score debating points.

Boris behaved as if he was in a university union debate and, once it had finished, the only job remaining was a trip to the bar.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Blue on blue now.

Even now the Tories are polling at least as high as they got at General election 2015 with most post 2017 movement to UKIP not Labour
  • Options

JRM was speculating it will be 5 votes either way earlier today for what that is worth. I can’t believe it will be that close. The deal has nothinggoing for it.
    Very interesting that JRM called the MV that close. The only way it can be is if he supports May in the vote.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    There are more than enough Brexit hardliners to provide 20 to 25% for a new populist anti immigration party and we have our own FN, AfD, Swedish Democrats or Lega Nord
    So thought ukip. Once upon a time. If we remain, perhaps. But BINO doesn't agitate 2% let alone 20%. Brexit means Brexit (and nothing more), remember?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Very interesting that JRM called the MV that close. The only way it can be is if he supports May in the vote.

https://twitter.com/AlexanderGardin/status/1070026410679549957
  • Options

She always be a moron.
    I am the moron for sitting watching this in my hotel room. But its a politics trip to London so why not watch politics on TV before watching from the gallery tomorrow?
  • Options
    Listening to her speech, I'm wondering why the hell did Beckett trigger Art 50 or the referendum ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Just watching back Boris. What a rambling incoherent idiot.

Why didn't he just stand up, say he disagrees with the deal, sit down and let what he didn't say speak for him. Instead he is proving his moronicity.

DIdn't see it but the fact that so many remainers here and on social media are attacking Boris's speech so intensely makes me think that it was probably rather good...
  • Options

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Blue on blue now.

Presents being the operative word.
    Hence why I used it!
  • Options

I wouldn’t be surprised if he did. He is all talk and very little substance.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Listening to her speech, I'm wondering why the hell did Beckett trigger Art 50 or the referendum ?

The referendum - Because she didn't think there was any chance of the plebs defying their masters and voting the "wrong" way.

A50 - God knows!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2018
    It must be really tiring seeing racism in every story...rather than guy who wrote a stinker of a book got it published because he has name recognition which is likely to make it sell and has made publishers a lot of money over the years.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/04/bad-sex-award-james-frey-katerina-fiction
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Penny Mordaunt
  • Options

I’m starting to doubt that. I think most normal people (I.e. not PBers) are bored to tears with it, past caring.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Penny Mordaunt
    Fair enough. I had a lot of time for her myself but not if she supports May’s deal.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Far from it, game is only just beginning.

Of course he is not going to be happy he is not getting pure Brexit, all the better for him to lead the Brexiteer backlash
    It is over for him in the conservative party, maybe he can lead UKIP with Farage
  • Options
    Isn't there going to be a UKIP/Tommy Robinson march in London on Sunday? I think Farage is expecting violence and he's dissociating himself before it all starts kicking off.

Though I'm sure he's lining up starting a new party as well...
This discussion has been closed.