Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New London poll finds Sadiq Khan heading for a first round vic

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New London poll finds Sadiq Khan heading for a first round victory in his re-election bid

There’s a new YouGov/QMUL poll London Mayoral poll just out that has Sadiq Khan on 55% against just 27% for his Tory opponent Shaun Bailey. The voting system, it will be recalled is based on the supplementary vote so that a contender needs to win 50% only first round to be sure of victory.

Read the full story here

Comments

• grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Foisted.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Hope you all got on at 2-5.
  • He will still win easily, but I wonder how his stealth massively expanded congestion charge will go down.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited December 2018
    FPT:

The FTPA specifices no restrictions on who may move a motion of no confidence. Barring any guidance to the contrary, I'd assume that yes, he could.
    But the Speaker would have to choose the motion for debate, which isn't a given, unless there's an SNP Opposition Day coming up.
    I don't know about that. Both convention the FTPA say that motions of no confidence take precedence over *all other business of the day*.
    You may be well right. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out, especially given Bercow's views...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,972
    edited December 2018
    Pulpstar will be happy.
  • Shaun Bailey has turned out to be a bit of a numpty hasn't he.
    I hope everyone compares his Barnet result to the Lab locals there in 2020.
    edited December 2018

Shaun Bailey has turned out to be a bit of a numpty hasn't he.

What has Bailey done or not done ?

Also the polling looks dire for the Lib Dems. I wonder if Khan will take any of the current LD seats on first prefs.
  • I see the Fall Out 76 Larpers are out again today in Paris, this time protesting an increase in non-EU uni fees. Macron isn't going to get any reforms through now is he.
  • Curious. We were confidently told that the crime surge would sink Khan. What happened? Are Londoners a bit too thick to notice, or do they place the blame elsewhere?
    Pulpstar said:

Also the polling looks dire for the Lib Dems. I wonder if Khan will take any of the current LD seats on first prefs.
    Standing as a Tory in London is pretty numpty-ish.
  • Mr. Urquhart, to be fair, the nylon bag scandal was quite the fiasco.
  • Man held by armed police at UK Parliament

A man is being held by armed police officers after it is believed he broke into the grounds of Parliament in Westminster.

An eyewitness told the BBC the man jumped over railings before being Tasered by police.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46524839

Mr. Urquhart, to be fair, the nylon bag scandal was quite the fiasco.

I'm delighted that Fallout 76 went down like a bucket of cold sick.

I've been saying for *years* (since Oblivion) what everyone else is saying about Bethesda now. Glad you finally caught up with me, guys!
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    FPT

rcs1000 said:

Brexit disaster !

wages rise at their fastest rate since 2008

Stuart Rose wasnt joking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46520876

That chart isn't that encouraging. Wages are only growing a little faster than inflation.
    lol

RCS look backwards they werent growing at all for most of that period
    One reason why we are in the mess we are in is that for many people the only pay rises have been the legally enforced minimum wage increases while at the same time more and more people have dragged into the minimum wage sphere (as their job that used to pay more than minimum wage started to be paying less than the increased minimum wage).
  • SeanT said:

Curious. We were confidently told that the crime surge would sink Khan. What happened? Are Londoners a bit too thick to notice, or do they place the blame elsewhere?

He's got the Remain vote, the BAME vote, the trad Labour vote, the EU nationals' vote (if they don't emigrate). It's a massive natural majority.

It's also quite depressing, as he is measurably poor as a mayor. Demonstrably worse than Johnson (crime, Tfl etc).

The only hope for antiKhan Londoners like me is that the Crossrail debacle will bring him down. It is not unthinkable.

He was measurably poor as a minister, so no surprise there.
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Pulpstar said:

Lib dems dont put any real effort into the GLA and Mayoral elections
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

I see the Fall Out 76 Larpers are out again today in Paris, this time protesting an increase in non-EU uni fees. Macron isn't going to get any reforms through now is he.

There's a couple of FT articles saying this (and they were pro-Macron). The tax concessions he has just made to the Gilets Jaune are enough for France's budget deficit to break 3% and be subject to EU fines (which won't happen: "France is France" etc etc). The FT thinks he is a busted flush already, just another president who promised so much (like Sarko, Chirac, Hollande) but caved to street protests.

France is maybe unreformable, absent war or aliens landing.
    The thing is for us over here, his reforms seem so minor. I mean considering academic performance when deciding who should get on to a massively oversubscribed university course, what an outrageous idea.

Possibly, maybe, being able to sack somebody from a job during a trial period if they are found to be utterly shit. Scandalous.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    edited December 2018

FPT:

The FTPA specifices no restrictions on who may move a motion of no confidence. Barring any guidance to the contrary, I'd assume that yes, he could.
    But the Speaker would have to choose the motion for debate, which isn't a given, unless there's an SNP Opposition Day coming up.
    I don't know about that. Both convention the FTPA say that motions of no confidence take precedence over *all other business of the day*.
    You may be well right. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out, especially given Bercow's views...
    If it were tabled by a lone MP I guess the Speaker could ignore it, but coming from Parliament's third and Scotland's principal party I think he would have to take it. Good for them for putting Labour on the spot; Labour's abject timidity and paranoia about doing anything, deciding anything or saying anything worthwhile has been absolutely pitiful.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited December 2018

Depends on the Speaker AIUI.
    That's yes then. Bercow is without balance at the moment, he's losing it.

• brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

Curious. We were confidently told that the crime surge would sink Khan. What happened? Are Londoners a bit too thick to notice, or do they place the blame elsewhere?

He's got the Remain vote, the BAME vote, the trad Labour vote, the EU nationals' vote (if they don't emigrate). It's a massive natural majority.

It's also quite depressing, as he is measurably poor as a mayor. Demonstrably worse than Johnson (crime, Tfl etc).

The only hope for antiKhan Londoners like me is that the Crossrail debacle will bring him down. It is not unthinkable.

I think its highly probable that the Tories will never win the London Mayoralty ever again - it will be a Labour held post unless some exceptional independent perhaps big business figure runs. Even the outer London fiefdoms like Bromley and Havering will go Labour eventually.

The demographics make that all but certain.

He will still win easily, but I wonder how his stealth massively expanded congestion charge will go down.

Stealthily.
  • brendan16 said:

SeanT said:

The Tories will never win the London Mayoralty ever again - it will be a Labour held post unless some exceptional independent perhaps big business figure runs.

Nothing in elections is ever certain but the Tories are extremely unlikely to win London for the foreseeable future until there is an unpopular Labour government in Westminster.
  • Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

Too busy to notice, maybe.

I'm not sure if the penny has dropped that the excuse for the next tube strike is that LU sacked a driver who failed a drugs test.

I see the Fall Out 76 Larpers are out again today in Paris, this time protesting an increase in non-EU uni fees. Macron isn't going to get any reforms through now is he.

The constant dilemma - if you give in to some demands will it defuse tensions or just encourage those who will demand more.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    edited December 2018
    FPT:
    For @JosiasJessop

In these Brexit-obsessed times, it's good to look at something else. So here's a question that might be worth a threader from one of our esteemed writers:

What's the matter with the Lib Dems?

They should be making hay with both main parties hopelessly split, and led by (on one side) an anti-Semite, and on the other a woman who is faced with an impossible task, and is doing it poorly. The Lib Dems should be polling 20%, and yet they are nowhere.

There are probably many factors: the after-effects of the coalition (which perversely now feels like a glorious period of sane government), a very poor leader, few MPs, no stellar talent, and little media attention. They also seem to lack a coherent message. I cannot say how the activist base is feeling, but they can't be filled with joy.

Have I missed anything?

I think it was the Richmond Park by-election where the seeds of short-term tactical success were sown and the chance of a crop of long-term strategic success was lost.

The Lib Dem activists found on the doorstep that the third runway got no cut-through either way (at least half their pledge were fine with it). The electors there were pissed off about Brexit. Naturally, as the most anti-Brexit Party, this was a gift and they naturally pivoted to maximise on it. And won.
    The media coverage led to an influx of new members - very motivated, more likely to become activists than most... and utterly anti-Brexit.

The Party started to resemble a single-issue Party: the Anti-Brexit League. Media coverage was solely on this. The leadership responded - all of a sudden the desperately needed media coverage was back... as long as they talked about Brexit. And, of course, they could harness the outrage of the Remainers, with the Big Two not taking this chance; a polling score of 48% beckoned!

Unfortunately, with a single-issue party, if you don't agree that the issue is the most important and agree with the party, you're going to ignore them. And only 60% or so think Brexit is the most important thing. Of these, maybe a quarter are pro-Brexit, a half just want it to stop, and a quarter are anti-Brexit. This means they're actually fishing in a pool of 15%, not 48%.

And YouGov did polling to see whether or not voters have "forgiven the Lib Dems". Hearteningly, a lot had. There was only one demographic that was relentless in their anger: "Remainers who haven't accepted the result." So not only are they fishing in a pool of about 15%, it's the most hostile 15% after the Coalition. Good luck getting half of them (while bleeding core voters who are sick of Brexit or are Leavers).

Solution? Dunno. None this side of Brexit.
  • I reckon Brian Coleman could beat Sadiq Khan.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    SeanT said:

Fascinating chart. Look how approving Labour is of the SNP: +40. This is not reciprocated, the SNP think -3 and Meh of Labour.
    You're reading that the wrong way round.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    SeanT said:

Fascinating chart. Look how approving Labour is of the SNP: +40. This is not reciprocated, the SNP think -3 and Meh of Labour.
    Other way around, I think.
    kle4 said:

A good Speaker stands up for the rights of Parliament against an overbearing and overmighty executive.

Thus, if the government is pissed off with them, it's a sign they are doing their job properly.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/100503/andrea-leadsom-questions-commons-speaker

QED.

(Incidentally I think we can add the rights and responsibilities of the Speaker's Chair to the bumper book of Things Mrs Leadsom Does Not Understand).

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,713
    The only way I can see Khan losing is if Lord Sugar runs as an independent.

However even so it should be pointed out Bailey ties Khan in Outer London, it is only Inner London which gives Khan his clear lead
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776

Pulpstar said:

That depends where you stand. The Conservatives should manage to win 18-25 seats in London.
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

That depends where you stand. The Conservatives should manage to win 18-25 seats in London.
    Yes, it's always risky talking about London as if it were a homogeneous political entity.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

You're reading that the wrong way round.
    lol. Am I?? My excuse is I just got up (yes yes, 1pm, fat lazy writer)

If that is the case (and I am sure you are right), then it is more interesting: this shows the potential for Labour to bounce back in Scotland, if only they had decent leadership in London and Edinburgh.
    Yep! Although a lot of those people could already be Labour voters, confusingly. The chart would probably be more useful if the top axis was "Among voters for this party"

kle4 said:

A good Speaker stands up for the rights of Parliament against an overbearing and overmighty executive.

Thus, if the government is pissed off with them, it's a sign they are doing their job properly.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/100503/andrea-leadsom-questions-commons-speaker

QED.

(Incidentally I think we can add the rights and responsibilities of the Speaker's Chair to the bumper book of Things Mrs Leadsom Does Not Understand).

I agree the speaker must stand up to an overbearing government. But Bercow seems to be openly condemning the government even when he acknowledges they are within their rights to pick one of two options, and makes interventions which are points the opposition would more appropriately make.

I don't want or expect Bercow to give the government an easy time, that is not his job, but it is no secret the gov hates him and he hates it, and he should do a better job of pretending otherwise.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,713
    brendan16 said:

SeanT said:

I think its highly probable that the Tories will never win the London Mayoralty ever again - it will be a Labour held post unless some exceptional independent perhaps big business figure runs. Even the outer London fiefdoms like Bromley and Havering will go Labour eventually.

People said the same about New York city which had Democratic Mayors for years until crime got so bad Giuliani won in 1993 on a 'zero tolerance' tough on crime ticket. After Giuliani it then elected Bloomberg the GOP turned Independent turned Democrat businessman and now the Mayor is a liberal Democrat again, Bill Di Blasio

kle4 said:

Not if he gives off the impression that he would be much more slack if the other side were in power,
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    FPT:

How well distributed is this claimed ‘wage growth’? Anecdotally there is next to no wage growth here in the North East of England.
    edited December 2018
    kle4 said:

I agree the speaker must stand up to an overbearing government. But Bercow seems to be openly condemning the government even when he acknowledges they are within their rights to pick one of two options, and makes interventions which are points the opposition would more appropriately make.

I don't want or expect Bercow to give the government an easy time, that is not his job, but it is no secret the gov hates him and he hates it, and he should do a better job of pretending otherwise.

I think Bercow was absolutely right to shame the government. The grand old Duke of Leadsom marched parliament 60% of the way to the top of the hill and then ran away in terror. May deserves every dressing down she gets, with the contemptible way she's treated the house.

In any case, it's all piss and wind since they both know Leadsom has neither the votes, nor the balls, to move against him. So all she's done is let him know he's getting under her skin, and she's powerless to stop it.

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, it's always risky talking about London as if it were a homogeneous political entity.
    In 1997, the Conservatives finished 18% behind Labour, 19% behind them in 2001, and 22% behind in 2017. In terms of seats they won 11, 13, and 21, as their vote had become more efficiently distributed.
    Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

Not if he gives off the impression that he would be much more slack if the other side were in power,
    Bercow won't be speaker at the next election. Time for the Tories to start thinking about what Speaker they want to gift the Labour/SNP government.

FPT:

How well distributed is this claimed ‘wage growth’? Anecdotally there is next to no wage growth here in the North East of England.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2018

Figure 7.

North East is both the lowest paid and slowest growing region.West Mids and NI the highest growing, East Mids and Yorkshire also outstrip London for growth with Scotland and NW a fraction behind.

Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

Bercow won't be speaker at the next election. Time for the Tories to start thinking about what Speaker they want to gift the Labour/SNP government.
    Rees Mogg!

The fact I have a quid on that has nothing to do with this (It was from before he became the main rent a quote chap)
    kle4 said:

Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

Rees Mogg!

The fact I have a quid on that has nothing to do with this (It was from before he became the main rent a quote chap)
    You know, I... think he'd make a good speaker.

You just made me say a nice thing about JRM.

You bastard.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Donny43 said:

FPT:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2018

Figure 7.

North East is both the lowest paid and slowest growing region.West Mids and NI the highest growing, East Mids and Yorkshire also outstrip London for growth with Scotland and NW a fraction behind.
    Fantastic.
    edited December 2018

kle4 said:

I think Bercow was absolutely right to shame the government. The grand old Duke of Leadsom marched parliament 60% of the way to the top of the hill and then ran away in terror. May deserves every dressing down she gets, with the contemptible way she's treated the house.

In any case, it's all piss and wind since they both know Leadsom has neither the votes, nor the balls, to move against him. So all she's done is let him know he's getting under her skin, and she's powerless to stop it.

Can't the opposition and rebels criticise how the house is treated? If it is a legitimate thing the gov can do then that is that, if he's asked can they do it. The speaker doesn't need to step in when plenty are already going to make the point about if they should do it.

Can they do it is a procedural question. Should they do it is a political question.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited December 2018
    Donny43 said:

Too busy to notice, maybe.

I'm not sure if the penny has dropped that the excuse for the next tube strike is that LU sacked a driver who failed a drugs test.
    Nah, it's just gammons shivving gammons. No one cares about that.

OT: I see Mrs May is once more LARPing the Book of Job. Poor woman.
  • Curious. We were confidently told that the crime surge would sink Khan. What happened? Are Londoners a bit too thick to notice, or do they place the blame elsewhere?

Crime and blame? Maybe some voters blame the EU for sending all those foreign criminals the Brexiteers warned about. If voters want more police, they blame the government and especially Theresa May for police cuts.
    F---ing hell.

May told the EU that she was pulling the vote before she told Cabinet, let alone her own party, let alone the House.

Hence Gove saying "yes, it's 100% going ahead".

This should be worth another half-dozen letters to Graham Brady Old Lady...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/theresa-may-told-eu-leaders-brexit-vote-pulled
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Can't the opposition and rebels criticise how the house is treated? If it is a legitimate thing the gov can do then that is that, if he's asked can they do it. The speaker doesn't need to step in when plenty are already going to make the point about if they should do it.

Can they do it is a procedural question. Should they do it is a political question.
    There is a motion down from Labour to that effect, isn't there?

kle4 said:

There was a non zero probability Bercow could have interpreted the rules similiar to the way you/Chris Bryant pointed out. I think Leadsom's comments were ill judged this morning.
    kle4 said:

Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

Rees Mogg!

He won't get it now, he is way too partisan. And probably would struggle to keep order anyhow.
  • brendan16 said:

SeanT said:

If, say, Khan were to decide that he wants to be London Mayor indefinitely then the voters in general are likely to tire of him before the Labour party does. That would then open the door to a different candidate who could appeal to instinctively Labour voters.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The rights of the House are the Speaker's responsibility. Certainly a member *may* raise a Point of Order asking for the Speaker to make a ruling. But the Speaker should be quite willing to defend the rights of the house of their own volition, not just when requested by a Point of Order.

That said, the level to which speakers are active vs reactive varies a lot. Betty Boothroyd and John Bercow were much more active speakers than Michael Martin, who was a very reactive speaker.
    Next speaker - Hoyle must be heavy odds on ?
  • SeanT said:

This, remarkably, is a very good thread from a nutty "anarcho-Marxist" Corbynite aged about 13.

She understands why Remain lost, exactly, and analyses, acutely, why they might easily lose a 2nd vote, too.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1072429810507497472

Yep, very good.
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

This, remarkably, is a very good thread from a nutty "anarcho-Marxist" Corbynite aged about 13.

She understands why Remain lost, exactly, and analyses, acutely, why they might easily lose a 2nd vote, too.

Yes, that's an excellent thread.

But I think contained in it is the reason why Remain has a much better chance this time. She says:

"They've made the fight about broad political values (sovereignty, control as embodied by the functioning of borders, national identity) bolstered by the occasional figure, (£350mil) or policy area (fishing). Brexit didn't win on a manifesto, it won on emotionally resonant memes."

That is indeed how Remain will fight EUref2. And their emotionally resonant meme is going to be "fight the gammon".

EUref1 was (broadly speaking) about old and working class people voting against a polity that has been taken from them, using the EU as a symbol of that.

EUref2 is going to be about young and middle class people voting against a polity that is otherwise about to be taken from them. The young and middle class are going to fight EUref2 in a way they never really fought EUref1, complacently believing it was in the bag.

Those who say "beware the division that EUref2 might awaken" are half-right. Half-right in that it will be divisive, but half-wrong in that there is an option to let the division sleep. There isn't. It's too late for that now.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

A Corbynite has worked out that populist bullshit wins votes?

Really?

Wow.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited December 2018

SeanT said:

Yes, that's an excellent thread.

But I think contained in it is the reason why Remain has a much better chance this time. She says:

"They've made the fight about broad political values (sovereignty, control as embodied by the functioning of borders, national identity) bolstered by the occasional figure, (£350mil) or policy area (fishing). Brexit didn't win on a manifesto, it won on emotionally resonant memes."

That is indeed how Remain will fight EUref2. And their emotionally resonant meme is going to be "fight the gammon".

EUref1 was (broadly speaking) about old and working class people voting against a polity that has been taken from them, using the EU as a symbol of that.

EUref2 is going to be about young and middle class people voting against a polity that is otherwise about to be taken from them. The young and middle class are going to fight EUref2 in a way they never really fought EUref1, complacently believing it was in the bag.

Those who say "beware the division that EUref2 might awaken" are half-right. Half-right in that it will be divisive, but half-wrong in that there is an option to let the division sleep. There isn't. It's too late for that now.
    I think that Remain have to keep the vote focused on May's deal (which we know is unpopular) to be sure of winning.

If it's simply a vote on whether or not to revoke A50, then there's a good chance Remain will lose.
  • SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

Rees Mogg!

You bastard.
    i think JRM would make a very fine Chancellor. No, stop. Really. He's a ridiculous figure in many ways (which is why he must not go near the leadership) but he's also logical, lucid, calm and astute, solid under pressure, and very good with money (see his CV). He'd be an absolute hate figure for the Left, but he clearky doesn't give a fuck what people think of him (and yay for that) so he'd soak up a lot of the ire of the Guardianistas, leaving the PM (whoever that might be) less menaced.

As a Brexiteer, he would also have to carry the can for managing the economy through Deal or No Deal turbulence.

And appointing him would appease the ERG.

JRM for Chancellor!
    I am sure among the more nuttier elements of the Left his work with the Rothschild family won't go unnoticed.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,883

F---ing hell.

May told the EU that she was pulling the vote before she told Cabinet, let alone her own party, let alone the House.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/theresa-may-told-eu-leaders-brexit-vote-pulled

How do we know how many letters this Brady arsehole really has? He could be throwing them in the bin for all we know.
    edited December 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

How do we know how many letters this Brady arsehole really has? He could be throwing them in the bin for all we know.
    What do you mean? Now we cross to exclusive footage inside Brady's office.

• Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

i think JRM would make a very fine Chancellor. No, stop. Really. He's a ridiculous figure in many ways (which is why he must not go near the leadership) but he's also logical, lucid, calm and astute, solid under pressure, and very good with money

He apparently can't count to 48
    edited December 2018
    Sean_F said:

If it's simply a vote on whether or not to revoke A50, then there's a good chance Remain will lose.

It seems pretty clear to me that the only referendum question that will be permitted by the House, and the Electoral Commission, and the European Council, will be Remain vs May's Deal.

You might be tempted to think a referendum in those circumstances would be a foregone conclusion, but I'd never make such a prediction.
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

There is a motion down from Labour to that effect, isn't there?
    Ah, yes, the Meaningless Vote.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

A Corbynite has worked out that populist bullshit wins votes?

Really?

Wow.
    Yes, she's dangerous in that respect. I was staggered that my wife's public-school educated Cambridge-graduate young lawyer nephew was taken in by the Momentum videos on Facebook, to the extent that he voted for Corbyn in 2017 (and in Westminster, too, FFS!). He didn't even realise that he'd been the target of propaganda. Looking at Ms Sarkar's Twitter pages, that sort of propaganda video is exactly what she and her colleagues do. It's going to be a hell of a challenge seeing off that sort of stuff.
  • So far, these student protesters in Paris are very boring. Just turned on the live stream and they all appear to be standing around smoking with one humorously wearing a traffic cone (I kid you not).
    Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

He'll have more than 48 right now I expect - but they won't be authorised to be 'used' till the moment of maximum May weakness, losing the meaningful vote.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

Time for Recorded Delivery?
    You realise, of course, if the UK goes full Yellow Jacket, Comrade Corbyn will be happy as a pig in shit. Violent revolution! Finally something interesting to talk about instead of bloody Brexit.
  • The Chelsea fan accused of calling Raheem Sterling a 'f***ing black c***' has been unmasked today and said: 'I want to apologise unreservedly to Raheem. I’m deeply ashamed by my behaviour'.

Colin Wing, 60, was caught on camera screaming insults at the Manchester City player in a Premier League match at Stamford Bridge on Saturday - but he denies the abuse was racist.

Mr Wing, from Beckenham, south-east London, says that he has lost his job and his season ticket at Chelsea, after 50 years watching the club, adding: 'Everybody’s got what they wanted'.

The married father-of-two, who lives in a £500,000 house and is believed to be a former BT manager, insists that he called Mr Sterling a 'Manc c***' not a 'black c***', although the England star is understood to have told police he heard racist language.

Mr Wing said: ‘I’m deeply ashamed by my own behaviour and I feel really bad. But I didn’t call him a black c***, I called him a Manc c***.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6481297/Chelsea-fan-accused-racially-abusing-Sterling-says-called-MANC-c-not-black-one.html

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    SeanT said:

Your missus?
  • You realise, of course, if the UK goes full Yellow Jacket, Comrade Corbyn will be happy as a pig in shit. Violent revolution! Finally something interesting to talk about instead of bloody Brexit.

He and McDonnell will be out there rioting against themselves.

Mr Wing said: ‘I’m deeply ashamed by my own behaviour and I feel really bad. But I didn’t call him a black c***, I called him a Manc c***.

Yes, that was obvious from the video. It's possible he also called him "black" off camera, I suppose.
  • This is a £500,000 house?

Christ, Southerners are being robbed blind.
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

He'll have more than 48 right now I expect - but they won't be authorised to be 'used' till the moment of maximum May weakness, losing the meaningful vote.
    Of course all the letters are in from (Well the vast majority) the hardcore Brexit faction so whilst the ship appears to be sailing toward "No Deal" they won't move.
    May delaying this vote has made me feel better about being on her survival till year end.
  • Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

He said he doesn't accept post dated letters.
  • On the other hand it means I can enjoy Liverpool v Napoli without having to worry about the vote.
    https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1072487752736878592
    edited December 2018

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

He sounds like the inverse of most DPD delivery drivers. If you don't answer the door within 5s of them ringing the bell, you must be out and they are taking that parcel back to the depot.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Ken Clarke MP on the WATO showing real class and putting the boot into some of his colleagues. A great pity he is not our PM.

On topic, Khan seems a bit 'meh' to be honest. I don't really see the point of the Mayor. Or what he is doing for London, particularly. But I think he will likely win again, unless he gets tripped up by something like Crossrail.
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

That dolt Andrea Jenkyns said there were "mid-40s" on DP. So only another three to go. Quite mind-boggling, thinking about it how there is no prevaricating, no "let me answer that this way" type of dodging by the nutters. They are straight Route 1 the leader of my Party must go.

kle4 said:

Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

Rees Mogg!

You bastard.
    I thought he might before he got big for his boots.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    Just finished watching Ken Burns Vietnam on Netflix

absolutley brilliant.

Londoninnit
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The ERG continue to move the goalposts . They will vote against any deal and want a no deal . Will the country be held to ransom by these nutjobs ?

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

That dolt Andrea Jenkyns said there were "mid-40s" on DP. So only another three to go. Quite mind-boggling, thinking about it how there is no prevaricating, no "let me answer that this way" type of dodging by the nutters. They are straight Route 1 the leader of my Party must go.
    Remember when disloyalty was all done by anonymous briefing !?
    Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

That would be hilarious. The price for his knighthood? :)

absolutley brilliant.

We discussed this the other day - it's fantastic - I am at E.7 so just the denouement to go. Amazing treatment.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

F---ing hell.

Yes - its something short of miraculour that the letter total is not 148 - unless one or 2 people have been tellimh porkies.
  • Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

That seems to be about the only thing that makes sense about this whole madness.
  • Apologies, a mistake in my previous post: it wasn't Westminster in which my wife's nephew voted Labour (that wouldn't have been so bad...) it was much worse that that: Kensington, won by the utterly detestable Emma Dent Coad by just 20 votes!
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    TOPPING said:

absolutley brilliant.

We discussed this the other day - it's fantastic - I am at E.7 so just the denouement to go. Amazing treatment.
    yes it was that discussion which prompted me to watch it. I can remember a lot of the key events from when I was growing up,

Londoninnit
    The difference is, we can afford it....

Apologies, a mistake in my previous post: it wasn't Westminster in which my wife's nephew voted Labour (that wouldn't have been so bad...) it was much worse that that: Kensington, won by the utterly detestable Emma Dent Coad by just 20 votes!

I hope he's learnt the error of his ways.
  • Pulpstar said:

Apologies, a mistake in my previous post: it wasn't Westminster in which my wife's nephew voted Labour (that wouldn't have been so bad...) it was much worse that that: Kensington, won by the utterly detestable Emma Dent Coad by just 20 votes!

I hope he's learnt the error of his ways.
    I gave him a good dressing down when we took him for dinner at Fera in Claridges, as you would expect.

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

F---ing hell.

He sounds like the inverse of most DPD delivery drivers. If you don't answer the door within 5s of them ringing the bell, you must be out and they are taking that parcel back to the depot.
    I actually like DPD, but then I have a decent local driver.
This discussion has been closed.