Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Last night’s confidence vote points to a pathway to the leader

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited December 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Last night’s confidence vote points to a pathway to the leadership for Johnson

One of the big question marks over Boris’ leadership hopes has been whether he’d be able to secure the support of enough fellow MPs in the first rounds of voting to be able to secure a place in the final two names that go to the membership.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    First? Would be surprised if it were 100.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Oh please no

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    I don't buy this.
    Among those voting against May were:
    -hard Brexiteers
    -those wanting a softer approach to Brexit
    -loyalists peed off about how May had bottled the vote and left her ministers looking dumb over the weekend.

Boris would have no chance with groups 2 and 3, and I'll believe that the hard Brexiteers will unite behind a single candidate when it happens.

Not buying it sorry.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Corbyn and Johnson? Jesus. I'd rather have Lord Buckethead. Or even Vince Cable.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    tpfkar said:

I don't buy this.
    -hard Brexiteers
    -loyalists peed off about how May had bottled the vote and left her ministers looking dumb over the weekend.

Boris would have no chance with groups 2 and 3, and I'll believe that the hard Brexiteers will unite behind a single candidate when it happens.

Not buying it sorry.

Would add to that list of noes. Absolutely anyone who thought they had a chance of becoming PM. So, at least 10, regardless of what they said in public.
    Another group not for BoJo, apart for himself, natch.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Boris? I'd rather have a pollock as PM.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    John_M said:

Boris? I'd rather have a pollock as PM.

youve got one
  • Options
    Boris - he has had his chips...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited December 2018
    Given the total against May was somewhat higher than some expected, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that, say, some Hunt or Javid supporters - seeing she was clearly safe - voted against, if only to help put the skids under her now reduced tenure in Number 10.

So don't chalk them all up to Boris!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    Is stopBoris something every PBer can actually agree on?
  • Options
    Mr. tpfkar, that's my reading too.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,112
    He was trying so hard look all serious and grown up on the last Marr. Quite sweet.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

First? Would be surprised if it were 100.

It doesn't have to be 100. As I pointed out a few months back, a figure in the 70s might well be enough:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/08/14/numerology-the-next-conservative-leader/

Boris Johnson's first problem is making sure he is enough MPs' first choice to get through the early rounds. That does not seem automatic.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,580
    I would hope that the ERG choose someone else as their standard-bearer come the leadership election. McVey, Patel, Moggster. Anyone but BoJo.

This of course assumes that the ERG are still part of the Conservative Party at that time.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kinabalu said:

He was trying so hard look all serious and grown up on the last Marr. Quite sweet.

He'd have done better to have spent more than three quid on his haircut.
  • Options
    I'd have thought his chances, already not terribly high, are reduced as a result of the vote. Theresa May cannot be challenged for a year, so a leadership contest in the next few weeks is now less likely. Meanwhile Boris and his new haircut are wasting assets.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kinabalu said:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1073114467590905861
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    It rather ignores the story that the ERG were utterly unable to agree whether Johnson, Raab or Davis ought to be their candidate on the afternoon before the confidence vote, and that none of the three were prepared to make way for one of the others.
    Each can scent the possibility of the leadership, and I think it fanciful that either Raab or Davis won't split the headbanger vote.

Clear betting favourite Johnson is not.
  • Options

he is the unity candidate in that regard
  • Options

I would hope that the ERG choose someone else as their standard-bearer come the leadership election. McVey, Patel, Moggster. Anyone but BoJo.

This of course assumes that the ERG are still part of the Conservative Party at that time.

Did they not pick their candidate in the "kill zone" yesterday?

Shame...
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,934

he is the unity candidate in that regard
    HYUFD will be along any moment to disagree...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It rather ignores the story that the ERG were utterly unable to agree whether Johnson, Raab or Davis ought to be their candidate on the afternoon before the confidence vote, and that none of the three were prepared to make way for one of the others.
    Each can scent the possibility of the leadership, and I think it fanciful that either Raab or Davis won't split the headbanger vote.

Raab called on the PM to quit today for winning the vote comfortably.

Did the others take to the airwaves also?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Beginning to think the sweet relief of death might be a blessing.
  • Options
    Seriously though, it is time we had some constitutional change. With the amount of executive power in the hands of the PM (well normally, TMay being an exception), the idea that a party can allow a PM who has led their party to a GE be deposed and replaced by some moron like Boris or Rees Mogg is an outrage.
  • Options
    The disgraced sack of shit and amoral sociopathic snake Boris Johnson (PBUH) is going to make an entirely unconvincing and yet completely successful damascene conversion to remain, *just in time* for him to cling on to the remain campaign like a limpet.
  • Options
    The ERG must be pleased that Theresa is cemented in place for another year. They can now concentrate on engineering their beloved hard Brexit - possibly even in an alliance with Jezza - and blame Theresa when the meltdown ensues: lack of preparation, too soft on the EU, never 'understood' Brexit blah, blah, blah. It would be open season on them if Boris or another ERG-ite was PM; better to do their dark work from shadows.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

I don't buy this.
    -hard Brexiteers

Not buying it sorry.

Not sure that's true. While 2 and 3 are pissed off with May I suspect they viewed yesterday's vote as a referendum on the ERG as much as May and voted they did have confidence accordingly. Even if they don't.

Soubry, Clarke et al backed May very vocally yesterday. So I don't think 2 holds many votes if any.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Nigelb said:

Raab called on the PM to quit today for winning the vote comfortably.

Did the others take to the airwaves also?
    Oh dear, just when I was beginning to think he was the almost acceptable face of Brexiteers, he goes and proves he has the brain of haddock also
  • Options
    Some people aren’t getting into the Christmas spirit...

An angry mum spat in the face of an elf at a shopping centre Christmas grotto. The woman lost her temper when told she could not take her child into the grotto in Stockton-on-Tees because she did not have a booking, police said.
  • Options
    Mr. Foremain, hey!

The enormo-haddock are fantastically intelligent. And vengeful.
  • Options

Seriously though, it is time we had some constitutional change. With the amount of executive power in the hands of the PM (well normally, TMay being an exception), the idea that a party can allow a PM who has led their party to a GE be deposed and replaced by some moron like Boris or Rees Mogg is an outrage.

I don't think that such a move would particularly lower his reputation for honesty....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    edited December 2018
    Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

£7.50?! Cleverly showing how out of touch he is.

(Edit: It was a witty comment though!)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    kinabalu said:

About four years too late....

Shame. I would have been fascinated to see Boris going for it in the hustings in 2016 for the one job he clearly covets. I'm sure he'd have been passionate and articulate and engaging. And he would have had a deep reservoir of good will from the party faithful that I don't see for Theresa May. But could he show he had put in the really hard graft that demonstrates he would know what the hell to do if he got to Downing Street? Those who are most Borisphobic are his fellow MPs. Many of whom would be actively willing him to fail.

Although from the other side of the EU debate, I suspect that like Ken Clarke, Boris would have been a pretty decent PM - if they hadn't both been so intractable in their views on Europe.
  • Options
    Mr. Pointer, I used to pay about half that...
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

I could get a haircut for £6 where I live (zone 4), and Uxbridge is further out...
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

The Monday Club were.
  • Options

Mr. Foremain, hey!

The enormo-haddock are fantastically intelligent. And vengeful.

I think I was referring to all reproducers of fishy offspring
  • Options

kinabalu said:

About four years too late....

Shame. I would have been fascinated to see Boris going for it in the hustings in 2016 for the one job he clearly covets. I'm sure he'd have been passionate and articulate and engaging. And he would have had a deep reservoir of good will from the party faithful that I don't see for Theresa May. But could he show he had put in the really hard graft that demonstrates he would know what the hell to do if he got to Downing Street? Those who are most Borisphobic are his fellow MPs. Many of whom would be actively willing him to fail.

Although from the other side of the EU debate, I suspect that like Ken Clarke, Boris would have been a pretty decent PM - if they hadn't both been so intractable in their views on Europe.
    Not sure it can be claimed with any seriousness that Boris is 'intractable' in his views on Europe.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

Well mine is only £8 but then this is North Wales
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

No , I am with HYFUD .
    Boris beats Corbyn IMO.

Not sure May or any of the other contenders will.
    If he gets to the Conservative members ballot , I think he wins.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Donny43 said:

Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

I could get a haircut for £6 where I live (zone 4), and Uxbridge is further out...
    Blimey, I'm the one who's out of touch then. Mrs. P cuts mine with my beard clippers since it, er, got too sparse to warrant a proper haircut.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2018
    Yorkcity said:

No , I am with HYFUD .
    Boris beats Corbyn IMO.

Genuine question. Why do you think he beats corbyn but say Javid doesn’t?

I would have thought corbyn could easily dismantle Boris with all his baggage, his “of the few rather than the many” background etc
  • Options
    Mr. Pointer, aye. We don't all go to your bourgeois, decadent coiffure salon :p
  • Options
    If May were in a stronger position, the party might be minded to proscribe Tory members from contact with the ERG, just as was done to the Monday Club and the Conservative Federation of Students by past Tory chairmen.

But May's position is not strong enough for that, yet.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    I agree, most of the ERG were in that 117 and should get Boris on the final ballot even if a Dealer gets most MPs and he likely wins that final ballot as like Corbyn and unlike May he is much more popular with the party membership than his party's MPs.

Notice May today said she would step down for a new Tory leader by the 2022 general election if Parliament lasts the course but did not rule out leading the party at a snap general election if she loses a VONC in the Commons
  • Options

If May were in a stronger position, the party might be minded to proscribe Tory members from contact with the ERG, just as was done to the Monday Club and the Conservative Federation of Students by past Tory chairmen.

If/when it becomes clear that the ERG are actively trying to force the UK out with no deal, against the wishes of Parliament, Party and People, I can imagine them getting proscribed very quickly.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

No , I am with HYFUD .
    Boris beats Corbyn IMO.

I think Corbyn is a disingenuous lying little toad with the brain of a mullet. The problem is that much of his fan base think he is "authentic" and this is his USP. Nobody except the most supremely gullible would describe Boris Johnson as honest and authentic. Even his own family didn't think he was sincere in his support of leave. He would be a disaster for his party and the country
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Pah! £9 for a gents haircut in the local barbers in Gillingham, Dorset. Yet another example of the thouse of us in the country getting ripped off no doubt
  • Options

That’s what I’d do if I were Tory leader.

In the event of No Deal I’d make all Leavers recant their support for Leave or face expulsion and being launched into the Irish Sea via catapult whilst they wore concrete shoes.

If they float they are traitors if they don’t they are witches/warlocks and we’ve sent them on a good Christian burial.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018
    If Boris was worth backing for the leadership, he would have already put in the hard yards to develop a detailed plan of what Leave meant, how he would would prepare for it and how he would implement it. He hasn’t and neither has any other Leaver. They are bone idle windbags - and I say that as a Leaver.

May has not been effectively challenged on her Brexit plans by Leavers and or the Remainers for that matter, and none of them have challenged her on her total lack of a domestic policy programme.

The only parliamentarian who has a brain and seems willing to use it effectively is Dominic Grieve and he, sadly is an ardent Remainer intent in making clinical strikes to ensure Leave is neutered at source.

The stop Boris campaign is well merited by sadly seems to be run by a bunch of headbangers like Soubry, Morgan and Allen. They, like Boris, have absolutely no credible plans on any issue, Brexit or otherwise.

The only alternative would be Labour but with Corbyn in charge that would be turkeys voting for Christmas he is so bad.

Surely there has to be one politician in the Tory who can campaign effectively with the sense to put together a cogent plan for Leaving and a sensible domestic policy agenda.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "Not salary linked"?

Are there discussions around Parliament docking Mrs May's wages like a naughty mail boy who spends too long in the lavatory?
  • Options

In the event of No Deal I’d make all Leavers recant their support for Leave or face expulsion and being launched into the Irish Sea via catapult whilst they wore concrete shoes.

If they float they are traitors if they don’t they are witches/warlocks and we’ve sent them on a good Christian burial.
    That's outrageous - you can't do that!! What if some of them are of other faiths?
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

Pah! £9 for a gents haircut in the local barbers in Gillingham, Dorset. Yet another example of the thouse of us in the country getting ripped off no doubt
    £9 is what I normally pay. I have a two grade clipper cut and it isn't worth paying any more.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Time to remove the whip from these traitors-cum-Corbyn enablers.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, civilised people use trebuchets for the launching of miscreants into the sea.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    TM will have the last laugh on them when she either accepts a referendum on her deal or revokes A50
  • Options
  • Options

That's outrageous - you can't do that!! What if some of them are of other faiths?
    Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
    He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
    He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword:
    His truth is marching on.
  • Options
    What is Evolve Politics?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    TM will have the last laugh on them when she either accepts a referendum on her deal or revokes A50
    TBH I think she'd laugh more if she got to launch them into the sea with a trebuchet.

Maybe we can have a referendum on which sea.

I vote for the Irish -- sorry, "West British" -- Sea.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,934
    HYUFD said:

I agree, most of the ERG were in that 117 and should get Boris on the final ballot even if a Dealer gets most MPs and he likely wins that final ballot as like Corbyn and unlike May he is much more popular with the party membership than his party's MPs.

Notice May today said she would step down for a new Tory leader by the 2022 general election if Parliament lasts the course but did not rule out leading the party at a snap general election if she loses a VONC in the Commons

Which is why the Tories should have deposed her when they had the chance. 2019 remains the hot favourite for a GE on Betfair and if it happens, they are going into the next GE with a proven voter repellent at the helm.

BoJo may be unpopular amongst his colleagues and the PB cognoscenti, but I think he has a better chance of beating Corbyn in a GE.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

If Boris was worth backing for the leadership, he would have already put in the hard yards to develop a detailed plan of what Leave meant, how he would would prepare for it and how he would implement it. He hasn’t and neither has any other Leaver. They are bone idle windbags - and I say that as a Leaver.

May has not been effectively challenged on her Brexit plans by Leavers and or the Remainers for that matter, and none of them have challenged her on her total lack of a domestic policy programme.

The only parliamentarian who has a brain and seems willing to use it effectively is Dominic Grieve and he, sadly is an ardent Remainer intent in making clinical strikes to ensure Leave is neutered at source.

The stop Boris campaign is well merited by sadly seems to be run by a bunch of headbangers like Soubry, Morgan and Allen. They, like Boris, have absolutely no credible plans on any issue, Brexit or otherwise.

The only alternative would be Labour but with Corbyn in charge that would be turkeys voting for Christmas he is so bad.

Surely there has to be one politician in the Tory who can campaign effectively with the sense to put together a cogent plan for Leaving and a sensible domestic policy agenda.

Yes she's just retained the confidence of her MPs.

(Sorry had to strike your final clause 'cos she's not doing that bit.)

((Just had to strike a bit more now on second reading))
  • Options
    Look at the other headlines on that site...
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, civilised people use trebuchets for the launching of miscreants into the sea.

Brexiteers aren’t civilised.
  • Options

What is Evolve Politics?
    Precisely. I won't believe it until Peston says it's not true.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The ERG’s behaviour will soon, if not already, make another referendum seem very logical.....
  • Options
    That said, it would be an absolute, inexcusable dereliction of duty if Corbyn and McDonnell and Starmer weren't promising the DUP a moon on a stick right now to peel them off.

Imagine, nailing May with a VONC on the last day of term before Christmas.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

Which is why the Tories should have deposed her when they had the chance. 2019 remains the hot favourite for a GE on Betfair and if it happens, they are going into the next GE with a proven voter repellent at the helm.

BoJo may be unpopular amongst his colleagues and the PB cognoscenti, but I think he has a better chance of beating Corbyn in a GE.
    If there's an early election, the question of who is leader will be the least of the party's worries compared with the splits on No Deal.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,020

The story seems to be based on Beth Rigby repeating the DUP's threat to bring down the government if the deal passes.
  • Options

Hard to find them through all the adverts.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

If there's an early election, the question of who is leader will be the least of the party's worries compared with the splits on No Deal.
    If there's an election, the party, somehow, needs a manifesto.
  • Options

Would agree with most / all of this. Suspect between now and March there will be increasing (and occasionally surprising) agreement outside of the super hard core extremes on both sides.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly. And one which mentions Brexit somewhere.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly. And one which mentions Brexit somewhere.
    Brexit means brexit.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    If Boris is favourite again, that is a betting lay. He is hated far and wide.
  • Options

Yes she's just retained the confidence of her MPs.

(Sorry had to strike your final clause 'cos she's not doing that bit.)

((Just had to strike a bit more now on second reading))
    She’s a lame duck with a 117 voting against her and she won’t see out 2019 as PM. The DUP won’t support her in a VNOC with the backstop in place and the EU aren’t going to let her off the hook because it’s how they ensure any trade negotiations give them exactly what they want. None of her own party wants to go into a GE with May still as leader which, despite protestations to the contrary must happen if she loses that VNOC.

She’s going to be forced out by losing votes in Parliament through either the Temain FTA toon or the ERG faction voting against her. The clock is ticking.
  • Options

Is more of what we can look forward to when jezza gets in and funds “alternative” journalism.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

No. I have money on Boris as next Tory leader, and have had for a long time. Besides, he'd make an amusing LOTO.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222

And they said they wouldn't, just this lunchtime
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

That said, it would be an absolute, inexcusable dereliction of duty if Corbyn and McDonnell and Starmer weren't promising the DUP a moon on a stick right now to peel them off.

The DUP are pretty left-wing on strictly economic policies.
  • Options

At two of those three want a United Ireland and they are so ideologically driven, it won’t occur to them to offer the DUP an olive branch and the DUP wouldn’t believe them if they did.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And they said they wouldn't, just this lunchtime
    Lunch is a long time in Brexit politics.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

No , I am with HYFUD .
    Boris beats Corbyn IMO.

I would have thought corbyn could easily dismantle Boris with all his baggage, his “of the few rather than the many” background etc
    Because in their own way they are both populist.
    I honestly believe to members of the public , who are not interested in politics.
    Boris Johnson has cut through with those , who only tune in at general election time,with no party allegiance .
    Javid is a good cabinet Minster but would not reach those mentioned above.
  • Options

If that’s true, then the Tories will lose and soon find themselves in a GE with either May or no leader. Either way, Labour will win a big majority and then we shall be deep in the mire.
  • Options

The timing would be glorious. It would mean a VoC required by 3rd January or else an election.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

At two of those three want a United Ireland and they are so ideologically driven, it won’t occur to them to offer the DUP an olive branch and the DUP wouldn’t believe them if they did.
    I have no doubt Labour are perfectly willing to meet the DUP's demands. It's mostly a question of tactics. Would they give up their vice-like grasp on Mrs May's short and curlies in exchange for a promise of no backstop? A promise they surely know Mr Corbyn cannot meaningfully deliver?
  • Options

The timing would be glorious. It would mean a VoC required by 3rd January or else an election.
    I suspect that there would be a considerable kick-back by voters against a silly stunt like that.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018

I have no doubt Labour are perfectly willing to meet the DUP's demands. It's mostly a question of tactics. Would they give up their vice-like grasp on Mrs May's short and curlies in exchange for a promise of no backstop? A promise they surely know Mr Corbyn cannot meaningfully deliver?
    Yes, what would be in it for the DUP?
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018

The only way I can see the DUP backing Labour is to sabotage May’s backstop and make it a straight choice between no deal or no Brexit. Either of those means no backstop with NI still part of the U.K. and the same terms.
  • Options

I suspect that there would be a considerable kick-back by voters against a silly stunt like that.
    If the opportunity presents itself to bring down the government, you take it. I mean, sure, it'll ruin Parliament's christmas, but I'm not sure anyone else will be that bothered as they tuck into their fifteenth slice of turkey and custard pie.
  • Options

Er really? What's it to voters? They won't need to vote until late February.
  • Options

The only way I can see the DUP backing Labour is to sabotage May’s backstop and make it a straight choice between no deal or no Brexit.
    A Labour government, especially one in hock to the LibDems, Plaid, and the SNP, is not going to go for No Deal under any circumstances, so it would be the current Withdrawal Agreement or Revoke, neither of which the DUP wants. In fact, I don't really see what they do want.
  • Options

Er really? What's it to voters? They won't need to vote until late February.
    Voters would see it as not playing cricket.
  • Options

If the opportunity presents itself to bring down the government, you take it. I mean, sure, it'll ruin Parliament's christmas, but I'm not sure anyone else will be that bothered as they tuck into their fifteenth slice of turkey and custard pie.
    Custard pie? Now I'm thinking you might be based in Moscow... It's Christmas pud over here comrade!
  • Options

Yes, what would be in it for the DUP?
    That's always a fun game. Jez invites Arlene round for a cuppa. "Let's make this happen", he says, "Name your price."

What does she ask for?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2018
    Prime Minister Theresa May has said she will not lead the Conservative Party into the next general election. She said the party would prefer to "to go into that election with another leader", as she arrived in Brussels for an EU summit.
This discussion has been closed.