Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The detail of the YouGov “LAB would slip to 3rd place behind t

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,644
    https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1075001513435635712

Blimey, I read this and thought: things are getting really serious if we're going to have to hold the COBRA meetings on the other side of the Atlantic! :wink:
  • Options
    On the first day of Christmas my true love sent me
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Because it keeps in his pocket the card of tabling the motion that won't be passed?
    He could table a VoNC in the government as many times as he likes - it's not a one-shot option.
    Using that card even once nullifies the loophole he is using to avoid the terms of his Conference motion. Naughty Mr Corbyn, who once used to take Conference so seriously.
    Or naughty Mr. Milne who probably holds similar views on the EU to John Redwood.

• Options

Oh, I feel so fucking reassured. I can't wait. Everything will be fine then. My Irish mist is really beginning to come down!!!!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    This isn't completely stupid at 250/1 (or even 100/1).

Cameron might well be asked to mind the shop if:
    (1) a vacancy arose at no notice;
    (2) a HoC VoNC propelled May out of office, Corbyn tried to form a govt but lost a HoC vote too, and someone was required to head the government during the ensuing election, who hadn't just been No Confidenced by the House.

I appreciate that scenario (2) is unorthodox but I'm not sure we fully appreciate the dynamics of the FTPA yet. Previously, if a govt loses a VoNC then it either resigns immediately or goes to the country immediately. That no longer applies. The two-week period effectively makes for a game of pass-the-parcel. Would it be right that whoever was the last to try to form a government and failed to do so got to hold on in office for the general election? My guess is that it wouldn't be - that they too should resign as the previous government had. In that situation, it might well be appropriate to call on an experienced politician who is out of current front-line politics to head things up on a temporary basis until the GE had clarified matters - and that someone from the party in govt before the VoNC would be the natural choice.
    Surely it would have to be someone who is in the HoC or at the very outside, the HoL?

Hague, Cable, Clarke, Beckett all more likely interim candidates imo.

Aside from not being in parliament, Cameron would be far, far too divisive, as would for example Blair or Brown.
    If someone in the Lords is acceptable, then anyone can be ennobled in a matter of minutes.

There are IMO two realistic scenarios in which someone like Cameron might be needed. The first, as I've mentioned, is in the event of some political crisis that requires someone to act as a temporary PM pending the resolution of the crisis, when all other leading candidates are ruled out for political reasons. I agree that Cameron, in such circumstances might be divisive. However, he'd still be a possibility.

The other is in what we might call the Brighton Bomb scenario, where other current leaders might not be available.

Bear in mind that in the 73 years since Attlee formed his government, the average PM tenure is about 5 years, so a 250/1 shot implies the sort of thing that happens less than once-a-millennium. Granted that there's much more flux at the moment and a change of PM is more likely that usual but I still think that 250/1 is more than fair.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Again apols if posted before - Another good thread - the 'Tinkerbell theory of Brexit':

https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1074634063322013696

All countries have their 'myths' ours of "stood alone" (with a quarter of the planet) is no substitute for rational analysis

It is things like this that make me want No Deal Brexit. Queues of lorries, high unemployment and everything completely FUBAR'd, because it seems to be the only way we will ever be free of this Plucky Little Britain Triumphs Again bullsh*t.

Basically, wallowing in nostalgia is no way to improve the future.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Ruling out those impossible things I believe our options are:

1) May's deal passes - 85%
    2) May's deal doesn't pass, May extends A50, referendum is called Deal vs Remain - 15%

I have 75/25 so I vest leadership of the lean but mean Dealer Faction in you and am delighted to do so.

Great betting opportunity because the market has it below 50% never mind 75 or 85.

Except not a great betting opportunity (for me) because I'm maxed out and at odds that are a lot worse than now available. Ah well.
    I will try to serve selflessly and with all my heart.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,180

There won’t be a general election unless May’s deal is defeated and she loses a VNOC in her Gov. The Tories don’t want to follow May into another GE.

Is the view not that she is vulnerable to a VNOC defeat (because of the DUP) if her 'treasonous' deal is passed rather than if it is defeated?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    So how much money are we going to spend on this ‘no deal’ Brexit that should not happen?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

As Badenoch points out, currently the only majority in Parliament at the moment is for 'No Deal' - so those wanting Brexit better start thinking.....

https://twitter.com/HenryNewman/status/1075005599799279616

Against no deal, is what she's saying.
    Wake up - May's Deal and No Deal are the only two options her government are considering. You want anything else - force a General Election.
    There won’t be a general election unless May’s deal is defeated and she loses a VNOC in her Gov. The Tories don’t want to follow May into another GE.

As @seanT would say, we are utterly fucked.

And, as a minor side consequence, so will the Tories be. They will be wiped out on a scale that is like Canada when the utter disaster that is no-deal happens in April. No matter how long they put off the GE. No voter will give a hoot, or even remember, that they voted for this: they will be too busy going nuts about job losses, lack of food and basic supplies, byzantine rationing schemes, meds problems, hospitals busting open with the elderly who can't get regular meds etc etc.

Don't forget this lot can't even organize a new railway timetable without chaos. Imagine them rationing food and organizing twenty miles of backed-up lorries full of vital supplies.

I see one of the Cabinet warned others that in the end the massive job losses would include their own voters who would act accordingly.
    Yes.. one of the TV highlights in the first week of April after a No Deal will be watching Tory MPs beaming at having delivered What The People Voted For, and wondering why the People in question don't seem very grateful.

There will be some very short memories in voter-land if jobs are lost and people go short of meds (or, frankly, have to wait for half an hour at Tesco for a delivery of Petit Filous).
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,644

Scott_P said:
    This isn't completely stupid at 250/1 (or even 100/1).

Cameron might well be asked to mind the shop if:
    (1) a vacancy arose at no notice;
    (2) a HoC VoNC propelled May out of office, Corbyn tried to form a govt but lost a HoC vote too, and someone was required to head the government during the ensuing election, who hadn't just been No Confidenced by the House.

I appreciate that scenario (2) is unorthodox but I'm not sure we fully appreciate the dynamics of the FTPA yet. Previously, if a govt loses a VoNC then it either resigns immediately or goes to the country immediately. That no longer applies. The two-week period effectively makes for a game of pass-the-parcel. Would it be right that whoever was the last to try to form a government and failed to do so got to hold on in office for the general election? My guess is that it wouldn't be - that they too should resign as the previous government had. In that situation, it might well be appropriate to call on an experienced politician who is out of current front-line politics to head things up on a temporary basis until the GE had clarified matters - and that someone from the party in govt before the VoNC would be the natural choice.
    Surely it would have to be someone who is in the HoC or at the very outside, the HoL?

Hague, Cable, Clarke, Beckett all more likely interim candidates imo.

Aside from not being in parliament, Cameron would be far, far too divisive, as would for example Blair or Brown.
    If someone in the Lords is acceptable, then anyone can be ennobled in a matter of minutes.

There are IMO two realistic scenarios in which someone like Cameron might be needed. The first, as I've mentioned, is in the event of some political crisis that requires someone to act as a temporary PM pending the resolution of the crisis, when all other leading candidates are ruled out for political reasons. I agree that Cameron, in such circumstances might be divisive. However, he'd still be a possibility.

The other is in what we might call the Brighton Bomb scenario, where other current leaders might not be available.

Bear in mind that in the 73 years since Attlee formed his government, the average PM tenure is about 5 years, so a 250/1 shot implies the sort of thing that happens less than once-a-millennium. Granted that there's much more flux at the moment and a change of PM is more likely that usual but I still think that 250/1 is more than fair.
    Fair points.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    They really are going for it.

I didn't think they had the minerals.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

So how much money are we going to spend on this ‘no deal’ Brexit that should not happen?

About £3.6bn iirc.
  • Options

As you can see I am in a foul mood this afternoon.

The mess we are in is off the scale and we are being led by clowns of the highest order.

History will hold these people as effectively wanton criminals who should never have been near office.

...the thing that annoys me more is that the person who is the default replacement PM is a thick twat of the first order, and he is playing games with the prosperity of the country
  • Options
    John_M said:

About £3.6bn iirc.
    Can’t we spend that on the NHS instead ?
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Reminds me of 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed'

This is going down to the wire

TM's deal looks more and more like the safety blanket the country needs
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Xenon said:

Should produce a decent Tory lead in the polls once the pivot to no deal is complete. Rather cruelly for the Lib Dems Labour will also do well as it ensures further polarisation.
  • Options
    John_M said:

About £3.6bn iirc.
    The whole cabinet should be tried for missuse of public funds in my opinion. This could have been done 2 years ago for much cheaper im sure! What a disgrace.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Mrs M thinks several moves ahead. She knows there'll be a reaction.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719

Hah. image

Poverty too. Always good to see someone embracing non-traditional solutions.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,588

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love sent me
    Four waiting Lorries, three customs officers, two portaloos and a riot in the city...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Hah. image

There was a problem with anthropgenic global warming as I recall.
  • Options
    Whoever we blame for no deal being a real possibility and how much we blame them, it is a very real possibility, it is not madness to prepare for it. Indeed, that they have not prepared because of the backlash they'd get for doing so is part of the madness.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

They're looking like they're going for it.....

Which may not be quite the same thing......
  • Options
    Careful now, might need a second fag packet.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    IanB2 said:

Mrs M thinks several moves ahead
    Her Premiership would beg to differ. Things like pulling the MV at the last minute even though it was known for quite some time it would be defeated do not particularly suggest she thinks about more than getting through the next day.

Alternatively yes, she does think several moves ahead, but unfortunately she only does so assuming everyone else will make the moves she wants them to make, and if they do differently she has no real contingency.
    Foxy said:

Careful now, might need a second fag packet.
    As long as I have some sand to put my head in I'll be fine.
  • Options

Xenon said:

Which would be even worse.

Firstly playing chicken with Parliament and the country and then spending over £3b in the process. 3 billion pounds for a game of chicken! Madness. Disgraceful.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,268
    edited December 2018
    Foxy said:

Four waiting Lorries, three customs officers, two portaloos and a riot in the city...
    And for balance, just how will that be any different from across the Irish Sea, The Channel, and North Sea ports

The EU will be well and truely log jammed and if you think the French are having a go just now, just wait for 20 mile queus at Calais, and the Irish hgv blocked in Dun Laoghaire
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,941
    edited December 2018
    IanB2 said:

Mrs M thinks several moves ahead. She knows there'll be a reaction.
    One of the amusing bright spots of the last few months has been non-Tory Remainers claiming to be May seers.

Us Tories don’t know what she is planning, other than getting through day to day.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

And for balance, just how will that be any different from across the Irish Sea, The Channel, and North Sea ports

The EU will be well and truely log jammed and if you think the French are having a go just now, just wait for 20 mile queus at Calais, and the Irish hgv blocked in Dun Laoghaire
    On the 9th day of christmas, my true love gave to me
    9 VAT box obselete, 8 box too !!!
  • Options

Xenon said:

Firstly playing chicken with Parliament and the country and then spending over £3b in the process. 3 billion pounds for a game of chicken! Madness. Disgraceful.
    Whatever they want to do now no outcome can be guaranteed. It would be madness to not spend on no deal prep even if they have no intention of going down that route, because the proceedings of parliament might lead to no deal anyway. So no, it is not a disgrace whatever their motivation, since no deal could happen and must be prepared for, motivation is irrelevant.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Exactly. They want to squeeze the 'no deal' vote, and it won't drive support for the deal but for Remain.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Foxy said:

They’ll be a long time blocked in Dun Laoghire given the port is long gone.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Anything short of total end of the world mayhem on Brexit day will be seen as another reason to ignore rejoiners in the future.

• Options
    A predictably lively Cabinet meeting today as ministers discussed no-deal planning. Jeremy Hunt said that EU attitudes were hardening because they could see a second referendum coming into view, in part, because of the speculation that people around the Cabinet table were indulging in it. The Foreign Secretary warned that a failure to deliver Brexit would be as devastating for the Tories as the Lib Dems’s failure on tuition fees was to them.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/12/the-cabinet-steps-up-planning-for-no-deal/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Xenon said:

Whatever they want to do now no outcome can be guaranteed. It would be madness to not spend on no deal prep even if they have no intention of going down that route, because the proceedings of parliament might lead to no deal anyway. So no, it is not a disgrace whatever their motivation, since no deal could happen and must be prepared for, motivation is irrelevant.
    No deal can be ruled out by revocation of Article 50 as you well know. There is no way we can accidentally fall into ‘no deal’ unless the Government chooses to.

This is nothing more than a misuse of public funds.
  • Options

Oh, I feel so fucking reassured. I can't wait. Everything will be fine then. My Irish mist is really beginning to come down!!!!
    Item 1) if your business has any trade with the EU, then prepare P45s for your staff

2) If your business trades with businesses who themselves trade with the EU, then see item 1.
  • Options

A predictably lively Cabinet meeting today as ministers discussed no-deal planning. Jeremy Hunt said that EU attitudes were hardening because they could see a second referendum coming into view, in part, because of the speculation that people around the Cabinet table were indulging in it. The Foreign Secretary warned that a failure to deliver Brexit would be as devastating for the Tories as the Lib Dems’s failure on tuition fees was to them.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/12/the-cabinet-steps-up-planning-for-no-deal/

Yes, it might well be. They won't be able to deliver no deal Brexit though, too many in their own ranks will prevent it despite its default status. So they're pretty screwed. Just a question of how long before they have to face the electorate. 3.5 years or less.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    TGOHF said:

Anything short of total end of the world mayhem on Brexit day will be seen as another reason to ignore rejoiners in the future.

No, any significant economic disruption and its the hard Brexiters who will take the hit. But May's plan to force her side to the deal is all coming along nicely.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

kle4 said:

Xenon said:

No deal can be ruled out by revocation of Article 50 as you well know. There is no way we can accidentally fall into ‘no deal’ unless the Government chooses to.

No it is not. Revocation can indeed happen but there may not be parliamentary approval to do so. So actually we can fall into no deal. I think people upset that the government is, at last, preparing for a worst case scenario are getting mad at the wrong things. Just hoping that revocation will happen just because it must would be insanely reckless.

As it happens I think we would revoke rather than crash out, but getting mad at the government for at least trying to put in place a contingency? I bet if the worst happens and no deal happens you'd cry foul that they never prepared for it.

We can hope that no deal will not be as bad as people think (though beware anyone trying to dismiss it with mere aphorisms and bland assurances).
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Afternoon all :)

Another day, another instalment of Project Fear and watch how frightened everyone gets as soon as the Army gets mentioned.

Calculated nonsense aimed at panicking frightened people into signing up to May's Deal. All she and her allies have now is fear and they are hoping a couple of weeks of this propaganda will do the job.

There's nothing that can't be arranged or sorted in plenty of time (and would have been if this group of dullards had considered the most elementary contingency planning).

No one is going to starve, run out of medicines or be stopped from going anywhere. A great man once said the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Nowadays, the only weapon a bad politician has is fear.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

Xenon said:

NO DEAL has to look for real in order that it can be avoided.
  • Options
    WTF???

BBC now reporting that May is planning series of votes on options before her own.

This after it was reported that she was against this idea in Cabinet, which took place, oh a whole four hours ago.

Is her software being updated on a hourly basis now?
  • Options

Xenon said:

To be fair, the money is not being wasted, it is being used in Keynesian stimulus. Admittedly substantially for wharehouses and fridges, but not wasted.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Xenon said:

No it is not. Revocation can indeed happen but there may not be parliamentary approval to do so. So actually we can fall into no deal. I think people upset that the government is, at last, preparing for a worst case scenario are getting mad at the wrong things. Just hoping that revocation will happen just because it must would be insanely reckless.

As it happens I think we would revoke rather than crash out, but getting mad at the government for at least trying to put in place a contingency? I bet if the worst happens and no deal happens you'd cry foul that they never prepared for it.
    Then we should have had the vote already so we could have found out! Playing a 3.6b game of chicken with Parliament and the country is a misuse of public funds and an utter disgrace.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Xenon said:

Then we should have had the vote already so we could have found out! Playing a 3.6b game of chicken with Parliament and the country is a misuse of public funds and an utter disgrace.
    Yes we should have had the vote, and other votes, before now. That is a disgrace. But given parliament has no majority for anything, that is well known, preparing is still not a disgrace. And it is definitely not a misuse of public funds just because you think it a bad use of public funds.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Probably, but that is not our problem.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Panic on PB.com as the chances of May's deal passing and remain being consigned to the dustbin of history are rising at pace...

• Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Xenon said:

We can hope that no deal will not be as bad as people think (though beware anyone trying to dismiss it with mere aphorisms and bland assurances).
    We need a Supreme Courth ruling on the legal protocol to revoke A50 in domestic law.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    How long were the queues at Dover back in 1972 before we joined the EEC?
  • Options
    PeterC said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Xenon said:

We need a Supreme Courth ruling on the legal protocol to revoke A50 in domestic law.
    Yes indeed - given the arguments that would no doubt occur if it is tried.
    TGOHF said:

Panic on PB.com as the chances of May's deal passing and remain being consigned to the dustbin of history are rising at pace...

The chances of it passing are rising? I must have missed that.
  • Options
    Once again the common man pays for the games of the political class.
  • Options
    matt said:

Foxy said:

They’ll be a long time blocked in Dun Laoghire given the port is long gone.
    It is years since I crossed from Holyhead to Dun Laoghire so I did not know it was now Dublin but the same issue applies
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    If one believes "No deal" would be a disaster then I reckon the following.

Number of politicians putting the national interest first

i) Not May & the Cabinet - Even Nabavi warns No deal would be a disaster. Failed to reach out over the aisle, now engaged in wanton blackmail.
    ii) Not Corbyn, playing games and trying to make the Tories own a hard Brexit.
    iii) Not the Lib Dems, not backing the deal.
    iv) Not the DUP - Prepared to head to "No deal"
    v) Not the bulk of the TOry remainers, prepared to vote down the deal to try and engender a 2nd ref.
    vi) Definitely not the ERG !

Politicians putting the national interest first

i) Lady Hermon, Caroline Flint, Stephen Lloyd, Ken Clarke & the SDLP

Politicians putting Scotland's the SNP's interests first

THE SNP :D
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Another day, another instalment of Project Fear and watch how frightened everyone gets as soon as the Army gets mentioned.

Calculated nonsense aimed at panicking frightened people into signing up to May's Deal. All she and her allies have now is fear and they are hoping a couple of weeks of this propaganda will do the job.

There's nothing that can't be arranged or sorted in plenty of time (and would have been if this group of dullards had considered the most elementary contingency planning).

No one is going to starve, run out of medicines or be stopped from going anywhere. A great man once said the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Nowadays, the only weapon a bad politician has is fear.

You seem very confident.

I suspect your post will not age well on a No Deal exit.
  • Options
    All this no deal buzz, it makes total sense. To get the deal through TM has to scare the shit out of the remainer opposers. They are a bigger and softer target than the hard brexiters. Bigger because there are a lot more of them and softer because they are not maniacs. So she stamps on 2nd referendum but ramps up no deal. The choice she wants to present is not deal vs 2nd ref (that won't do the business because too many MPs quite like the idea of the 2nd ref) but the pure and diabolical noel edmunds. I thought that the Grieve amendment was supposed to stop her doing this but perhaps she has sussed out that it doesn't. Smart and robust, if so. An appalling carry on, but smart and robust. What a woman.
  • Options

WTF???

BBC now reporting that May is planning series of votes on options before her own.

This after it was reported that she was against this idea in Cabinet, which took place, oh a whole four hours ago.

That was the way the amendments were planned last time. I do not see any change
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

All this no deal buzz, it makes total sense. To get the deal through TM has to scare the shit out of the remainer opposers. They are a bigger and softer target than the hard brexiters. Bigger because there are a lot more of them and softer because they are not maniacs. So she stamps on 2nd referendum but ramps up no deal. The choice she wants to present is not deal vs 2nd ref (that won't do the business because too many MPs quite like the idea of the 2nd ref) but the pure and diabolical noel edmunds. I thought that the Grieve amendment was supposed to stop her doing this but perhaps she has sussed out that it doesn't. Smart and robust, if so. An appalling carry on, but smart and robust. What a woman.

Blackmailing Parliament, using the fear of ‘no deal’, to accept a sub-par agreement that Parliament does not want?

Yeah, some woman. History will not be kind.
  • Options
    In other news......IFS on the tax changes in the Scottish budget:

https://twitter.com/TheIFS/status/1075068053052899331
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

WTF???

“Reporting” “Reported”. Any actual facts to justify your frenzy?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

They were so long that weary travellers would band together to share a tale to pass the time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It is everyone's problem including the EU who will have failed completely. The pressure on governments across the EU will be colossal
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Oh FFS.

Trade, modern supply chains, new technology etc etc etc Transformed out of all sight compared to 1972.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,339
    Caveats apply but the poll really does show the unique awfulness of Corbyn as Labour leader. Essentially Labour voters are strongly remain. The party has to either be remain or as close to it as practically possible or, as shown the left splits rather as was shown in earlier polls on what would happen if the party split - between liberal social democrats and Corbynite true believers who think Brexit is a price worth paying for radical socialism.

But Corbyn still loses backing remain or BINO. Why? Because he's uniquely awful as a persuader. Labour could win as a party of remain but it would need to do two things. Firstly persuade remain voting Tories and Lib Dem holdouts that it wasn't a threat - your Matthew Parris types who think Brexit is such a bad idea that they'd be prepared to vote Labour. However, Corbyn is unlikely loathed even on the centre-left let alone the centre-right for his hard left connections and the authoritarian nastiness and worse that they entail.

Secondly, win over wavering Brexiteers. This has been the great opportunity cost of the past three years. Firstly, because Corbyn's dislike of the EU and approach to politics makes him unable to passionately advocate for it. He can't tour the country telling factory workers to get behind remain to safeguard their jobs and that staying could create new ones because he thinks the nebulous concept that is neoliberalism is at fault, not Brexit and that his brand of socialism is the only solution that matters. Secondly, he just isn't good at persuading people. Having spoken to political allies all his life and shunned anyone who doesn't fit with his worldview, he lacks the kind of persuasive empathy, that even if faked, can win round those who disagree. Great at comforting those whose suffering fits with his beliefs. As we've seen with anti-Semitism, repulsive to those who believe he's a cause of their suffering.

Oh dear. He got away with it in 2017 thanks to May's awfulness and the large amounts of sceptics who held their nose to vote for the more socially liberal party. Can't see it happening again. Probably why he's holding out for a Brexit cataclysm to sort it all out for him.
  • Options
    matt said:

WTF???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46608952
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt is a PM in waiting with the touch of the common man and woman.

https://twitter.com/jeremy_hunt/status/1075069498921750528?s=21

The only question is does he become Tory leader/PM in a coronation or landslide.
  • Options

On which note, I would have thought the 250/1 on the Lib Dems winning Most Seats at the next election represents value. There's a fair few steps needed but they're all more than possible.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

matt said:

WTF???

Theresa May is now thought to be in favour of giving MPs a vote on alternatives to her plans when they debate her Brexit deal.

The prime minister was previously thought to be against this idea.

So that's a no, then...!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

matt said:

WTF???

Perhaps she heard arguments at Cabinet and changed her mind? I thought a big criticism of her was that she didn't listen. Damned if you do...
  • Options

matt said:

WTF???

Err is the BBC not just describing amendments the same that could be made to any bill ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    justin124 said:

A slightly pointless question. Firstly, the amount of trade has increased massively in that time. But most importantly, that was a static situation: processes had been in place for decades, if not centuries, slowly evolving. Brexit means a revolution, and one that the processes and systems might not be in place for.
  • Options
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Remember that '2nd Ref' is not a Brexit outcome; it's a Brexit mechanism. There's no such thing as Deal vs Ref, the true option is certainty of Deal vs (one of various options delivered via an uncertain and uncontrollable referendum).
  • Options

On which note, I would have thought the 250/1 on the Lib Dems winning Most Seats at the next election represents value. There's a fair few steps needed but they're all more than possible.
    Is this the start of one of those Turkey is joining the EU threads?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,500
    kle4 said:

Hah. image

But at the cost of a negative growth rate of 100%.
    And a full default on intergalactic debt.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Finally, they've found a use for all those old "Protect and Survive" leaflets.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    edited December 2018
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

They were so long that weary travellers would band together to share a tale to pass the time.
    Post of the day.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

kinabalu said:

Remember that '2nd Ref' is not a Brexit outcome; it's a Brexit mechanism. There's no such thing as Deal vs Ref, the true option is certainty of Deal vs (one of various options delivered via an uncertain and uncontrollable referendum).
    There is still Deal vs Remain in a referendum, though. Think of the way it would be sold. I have negotiated an exit to the EU but parliament cannot agree and therefore I am going to ask you the people to decide.

Follows a unilateral extension of A50 and done by May (the month, not the Prime Minister).
  • Options

kinabalu said:

If the referendum is Deal v Remain (backed by a successful meaningful vote with a people's vote amendment), then it locks down the outcome to either the deal or Remain.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Hah. image

But at the cost of a negative growth rate of 100%.
    And a full default on intergalactic debt.
    A one off correction. Growth figures were steady in the subsequent years.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

What you've missed is that talk of Norway Plus, Canada Plus and of other Starred Unicorns has markedly diminished. People are at last focussing on the genuine options before us, and as they do so, the actual deal available will become more attractive. Whether that's enough is a whole different question.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

NO DEAL has to look for real in order that it can be avoided.

Exactly right. If it looks like a bluff the remainer opposition in the various parties will hang in there and then she will be forced to cancel brexit via a referendum. If it looks like for real enough of them will cave in and the deal will be passed. The challenge (and it's a big one) is to make it look real even though it must be a bluff, because there is no way that a prime minister of this country will really sanction a chaotic no deal exit from the EU. In other words, yes, in a nutshell, no deal has to look real in order that it can be avoided. See how I can use many sentences to express what could just as well be expressed in one?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Again apols if posted before - Another good thread - the 'Tinkerbell theory of Brexit':

All countries have their 'myths' ours of "stood alone" (with a quarter of the planet) is no substitute for rational analysis

It is things like this that make me want No Deal Brexit. Queues of lorries, high unemployment and everything completely FUBAR'd, because it seems to be the only way we will ever be free of this Plucky Little Britain Triumphs Again bullsh*t.

Until plucky little Britain triumphs again.

It's what we do.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

The last three elections have all had results that were surprising.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

What you've missed is that talk of Norway Plus, Canada Plus and of other Starred Unicorns has markedly diminished. People are at last focussing on the genuine options before us, and as they do so, the actual deal available will become more attractive. Whether that's enough is a whole different question.

I think every Conservative supporter of Norway Plus said they would back the deal anyway, so there's no net gain for the deal. Narrowing the choices and making it clear how unpalatable no deal is makes a Deal/Remain referendum more credible.
  • Options

The last three elections have all had results that were surprising.
    Indeed, and the Lib Dems traded at single figures for Most Seats in 2010.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970

It's what we do.
    We haven't got an Empire we can call on for help now.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It is everyone's problem including the EU who will have failed completely. The pressure on governments across the EU will be colossal
    Nothing like the pressure here.

After all, Brexit was our choice not theirs.
  • Options

It's what we do.
    We haven't got an Empire we can call on for help now.
    And at least half the population think that the hardcore Leavers are demented.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

There is still Deal vs Remain in a referendum, though. Think of the way it would be sold. I have negotiated an exit to the EU but parliament cannot agree and therefore I am going to ask you the people to decide.

Follows a unilateral extension of A50 and done by May (the month, not the Prime Minister).
    The PM can't unilaterally extend A50 - though for a referendum most people seem to think that the EU would agree to one. Not that I think another referendum is at all likely anyway.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

A slightly pointless question. Firstly, the amount of trade has increased massively in that time. But most importantly, that was a static situation: processes had been in place for decades, if not centuries, slowly evolving. Brexit means a revolution, and one that the processes and systems might not be in place for.
    I understand that - though technology changes might well bring greater flexiblity rather than imposing restrictions. We also have the Channel Tunnel today which was not available to us in that earlier period. I am not sure the position was as static as suggested - trade had increased greatly in the more than 25 years following World War 2.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

The PM can't unilaterally extend A50 - though for a referendum most people seem to think that the EU would agree to one. Not that I think another referendum is at all likely anyway.
    Yes sorry when I mean unilaterally I mean on our side. I think the EU as you say would agree. And neither do I think a referendum is likely. I gave it a 15% chance earlier. But it is possible especially if the move towards Deal acceptance (85%) stalls short of being able to pass in the HoC.

In which case I believe the sequence and referendum question would be as I stated.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nothing like the pressure here.

After all, Brexit was our choice not theirs.
    Indeed because we see a positive out of this. They don't.
This discussion has been closed.