Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CNN reveals document on Russian tower deal signed by Trump con

Comments

• Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

ydoethur said:

Can I shock everyone? As I'm partially deaf, I've become quite a good lip-reader. I've looked at the video and I think Corbyn's telling the truth. The second word looks like 'people' to me - there's an L in it.'

I am no Corbyn supporter, but it looks more like "people" than "woman" to me. The "Wo" of "woman" requires more of a pucker of the lips. The "pe" of "People" draws the side of the mouth out.
    On first watch I thought he said "stupid bitch" which was why I thought there was all the uproar. It did look more of a "p/b" sound than "w..."

But I am no expert, plainly
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

ydoethur said:

I have to say, in a sense, that's almost to miss the point. Is it really smart of him to make muttered asides about anyone being stupid while he's on camera?

OK, so I have occasionally said such things, especially to the incompetent loons who run the Stupid Loan Company, but I try not to do it where people will notice.

It was very careless. It also suggests if he's making errors like this that he's feeling the pressure.

Careless errors have been the watchwords for the entire sorry Corbyn era. He's just not very good at front bench politics. Partly it's because he's old and partly because he was thrust into the limelight despite never having developed an affinity for the dark arts of front bench politics by climbing the greasy pole the way most front benchers do. Remember that in his three decades as an MP he's never so much as been a PPS.

Labour are artificially handicapping themselves *a lot* by having him as leader.
    Fuck me, I'm defending Corbyn, causing the Jezziah to abandon his(?) reflexive support for Labour and now I'm in agreement with Grabcocque!

The world's gone mental!!! Can I go back to school please where things are sane...er, no actually that wouldn't be true either.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

What's worse than Corbyn is the duplicitous manner Bercow handles these things. Anna Soubry was right. If it had been a Tory who had said it, Bercow would have reacted immediately. What an odious man he is. He needs to GO.

Bercow departing as Speaker before year end would spoil Christmas in a number of households......
    At least there is zero chance of the wee smog getting the job in current circumstances.
  • Options
    Oort said:

notme2 said:

I hope Lincolnshire County Council has enough grit, gumption, plasterboard and UPVC double glazing to build 100,000 pensioner chalets in twelve weeks cos we're sure as shit not letting them all live in Remainia when Spain deports the diaspora Costa community.

I hope Lincolnshire County Council has enough grit, gumption, plasterboard and UPVC double glazing to build 100,000 pensioner chalets in twelve weeks cos we're sure as shit not letting them all live in Remainia when Spain deports the diaspora Costa community.

We have 3.7 million Eu citizens in the UK. Every year we have a net addition of 100,000 Eu citizens to the uk.
    Actually we have 62.9m EU citizens in the UK. Sadly, about 59.2m are in danger of having that citizenship stripped from them.
    Minus about 7 million British citizens entitled to Irish passports who haven't already got one. So Arlene Foster for example will be all right, as will Tony Blair.

But you're right. Most of us are being stripped of our EU citizenship because millions of xenophobic Sun readers have globbed on to the EU membership issue because that's the path of least resistance.
    I never asked for or wanted EU citizenship.

Had I been alive at the time I’d have felt much more aggrieved (and even then not that much) at the UK ending its common nationality code with Australia and Canada, which would have been of far more interest to me.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

ydoethur said:

Can I shock everyone? As I'm partially deaf, I've become quite a good lip-reader. I've looked at the video and I think Corbyn's telling the truth. The second word looks like 'people' to me - there's an L in it.'

I am no Corbyn supporter
    Lolza.

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Unless Bercow is a lip reader himself, it seems silly to expect him to make an immediate ruling. Long-grass it to the standards committee. Let them hire a lip-reading expert.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

People who think gammon is racist have a bit of a victim complex, people who compare it to seriously racist words probably just have some very confused views on the subject of racism.

I'm not exactly great at lip reading myself but is that clear enough for it to be proof that he said stupid woman, watched it a few times and couldn't confirm it to any level but not something I'm good at doing.

Wouldn't be impressed if he did, not his usual standard.

I have to say, in a sense, that's almost to miss the point. Is it really smart of him to make muttered asides about anyone being stupid while he's on camera?

OK, so I have occasionally said such things, especially to the incompetent loons who run the Stupid Loan Company, but I try not to do it where people will notice.

It was very careless. It also suggests if he's making errors like this that he's feeling the pressure.
    The saying stupid whatever was a slip up by his usual standards yes. He's pretty good with the pressure usually so I will let him off what is a pretty small offence in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_P said:
    Very Trump like. Alternative facts for Jezza.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Just signed in for a lunchtime update. No idea if the 'stupid woman' comment attributed to Corbyn is true. Smearing him is a cottage industry after all. But it will be really damaging if it is true. It undermines his core appeal.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    dr_spyn said:
    Well, I could be wrong. There was an occasion in 2016 when I made a slight slip. There might be another one about due. :smiley:

But as a lip reader myself, I have to say I don't agree. The form of his mouth looks wrong to me.

That said, he's a fool to have said it and he will not have improved his hold on the PLP by calling them all stupid.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Had I been alive at the time I’d have felt much more aggrieved (and even then not that much) at the UK ending its common nationality code with Australia and Canada, which would have been of far more interest to me.

Repeal their independence! A sovereign parliament can change its mind!
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Those who use it now on Twitter and elsewhere just look passe and vindictive, and a little dim; those who over-react to it are fools.

Ssssssh, you're not supposed to point it out. PB is the only place I frequent where the word routinely provokes a hilarious overreactions from people. Soon it will have no power anywhere at all.

Somewhat surprised we haven't seen a reclamation movement from the right yet.

#gammonpride

OH SNAP I JUST INVENTED A NEW MOVEMENT.
    You're using it to provoke, it makes you look a juvenile tit. But I imagine that's a badge of pride. I've done the same myself.

Incidentally, it HAS been proudly reclaimed on Twitter; you just haven't noticed. There's lots of Kippers and Leavers who've put gammon in the Twitternames, or use pictures of it in their avatars.
    Can anyone think of what happened the last time that white men decided to act politically as a cohesive minority group?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I just watched the video, I agree with Evelyn Glennie
    Corbyn is in a deep hole and hasn't been honest about it IMHO.. He is in deep shit.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Watching it in quick succession, I do think he says "people" but it is one of those things where once the word is in your head, your brain tells you that's what he mouthed. I was convinced enough it was "woman" when everyone was telling me that!

Whether it was "woman", "people" or even "bitch", I can't see any of this doing Corbyn any harm whatsoever. Millions will agree with him.

It may even end up with the Tories having to withdraw and apologise to him!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    It's a lovely day when the Christmas holidays begin.

Can I shock everyone? As I'm partially deaf, I've become quite a good lip-reader. I've looked at the video and I think Corbyn's telling the truth. The second word looks like 'people' to me - there's an L in it.

Whether that helps him or not I don't know. A sexist smear at his enemies might be better than calling all his supporters 'stupid.'
    I'm far from being an expert lip-reader (my mum's fairly good, having been totally deaf in one ear since she was a baby), but I agree with you: it looks like 'people' rather than 'women'. However it would be good to see over videos of him saying 'people' and 'women' to confirm.

Of more note is how easy it is for him to get riled. A very different side of his character than that publicised by his fans.
  • Options
    On the plus side for the government, this brouhaha has completely buried their botched launch of the immigration white paper.

Lucky escape for Sajid.
  • Options

Corbyn is in a deep hole and hasn't been honest about it IMHO.. He is in deep shit.

Whether he told the truth or not is quickly going to become irrelevant. 'Corbyn accused of sexist jibe' is a headline that will dominate coverage for 48 hours especially as everyone is sick of Brexit.

And 'Corbyn accused of lying about sexist woman remark,' even if untrue, just feeds the fire.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Those who use it now on Twitter and elsewhere just look passe and vindictive, and a little dim; those who over-react to it are fools.

Ssssssh, you're not supposed to point it out. PB is the only place I frequent where the word routinely provokes a hilarious overreactions from people. Soon it will have no power anywhere at all.

#gammonpride

You're using it to provoke, it makes you look a juvenile tit. But I imagine that's a badge of pride. I've done the same myself.

Incidentally, it HAS been proudly reclaimed on Twitter; you just haven't noticed. There's lots of Kippers and Leavers who've put gammon in the Twitternames, or use pictures of it in their avatars.
    Can anyone think of what happened the last time that white men decided to act politically as a cohesive minority group?
    The Grand Tour.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Now that is very good.

But remember, he'll be there but he won't be involved.
  • Options

He really isn't, he has the "she's a Tory" excuse.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    OGH happened to post this helpful link on Twitter from The Guardian.

https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/354999716330745856
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Point of Order: I agree with Bev C and Pulpstar etc, I reckon Corbyn is telling the truth. If you watch the vid it does look more like "stupid people" than "stupid woman". At the very least, it is a clever lie, and cannot be disproved.

Bercow is now the one in trouble, not Corbyn.

I'm not sure he was in trouble per se anyway. It'll just be one to keep in the memory banks for the next time the pitchfork mob get up against a Tory - "remember that time Corbyn called May a stupid woman?"
  • Options
    glw said:

Evelyn Glennie is a Tory?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Point of Order: I agree with Bev C and Pulpstar etc, I reckon Corbyn is telling the truth. If you watch the vid it does look more like "stupid people" than "stupid woman". At the very least, it is a clever lie, and cannot be disproved.

Calling people stupid is still contrary to his friendly image. Has he had the good sense to apologise for it yet?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    But, but, but, people don't really say "stupid people" in a moment of disdain or anger. It's just not a thing.

"Stupid man / woman / idiots / clowns / prats / wallies / kids / blokes" all yes. But who really says "stupid people"?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    glw said:

It's a bit like the joke about Stalin's moustache:

Stalin is having a meeting with Marshal Zhukov on war plans against the Germans. Stalin is in something of a crabby mood, and Zhukov takes a bit of a tongue-lashing from the dictator. After the meeting, Zhukov heads out of Stalin's office, muttering under his breath, "I hate that idiot and his stupid mustache."

Stalin's secretary hears this and immediately reports what Zhukov has said. Stalin is not pleased and summons Zhukov again.

"Whom did you mean when you said you hated 'that idiot and his stupid mustache?" Stalin demanded.

"Hitler, of course," replied Zhukov smoothly.

Stalin nodded and turned slowly on his secretary. "And whom did you think he had in mind, Comrade Secretary?"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Watching it in quick succession, I do think he says "people" but it is one of those things where once the word is in your head, your brain tells you that's what he mouthed. I was convinced enough it was "woman" when everyone was telling me that!

Whether it was "woman", "people" or even "bitch", I can't see any of this doing Corbyn any harm whatsoever. Millions will agree with him.

It may even end up with the Tories having to withdraw and apologise to him!

I'm fairly certain he says stupid. What follows is not clear - but I think two syllables.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

I am no Corbyn supporter, but it looks more like "people" than "woman" to me. The "Wo" of "woman" requires more of a pucker of the lips. The "pe" of "People" draws the side of the mouth out.
    Yes that's my reading of the situation too.
    So in fact all those MP's who were in uproar are stupid people even the women MPs
  • Options
    @ydoethur Ha, ha.
  • Options
    Whilst all the arguments rage (or whimper?) about what one adult may or may not have said to another adult, I notice the EU have published their No Deal Brexit plans this morning which seem on face value to deal with a lot of the concerns about immediate impacts.

So.

UK flights will be allowed to operate into and out of the EU.
    UK Road Hauliers will be able to drive on EU roads without additional permits until the end of 2019.
    UK financial services regulations - in a limited number of areas - to be recognised as equivalent to the EU's for one or two years.
    Visas will not be required for UK visitors to the EU for less than 90 days stay.
    UK citizens who have lived in the EU for more than 5 years must be granted long term residents status.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

#gammonpride

The Grand Tour.
    Started November 2016. You get half a point for identifying an event in the correct month.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    So will Jezza use the 'Chelsea defense' and claim that he actually said 'Stupid Manc'?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Anorak said:

But, but, but, people don't really say "stupid people" in a moment of disdain or anger. It's just not a thing.

"Stupid man / woman / idiots / clowns / prats / wallies / kids / blokes" all yes. But who really says "stupid people"?

I hadn't thought of it in that way - but you are right. I can't think of no idiomatic usage that would make "stupid people" a likely utterance from anyone.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    It's political correctness gone mad, you can't even call gammon gammon any more.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

"I want to live like stupid people
    I want to do whatever stupid people do
    I want to sleep with stupid people
    I want to sleep with stupid people like you."
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Careless errors have been the watchwords for the entire sorry Corbyn era. He's just not very good at front bench politics. Partly it's because he's old and partly because he was thrust into the limelight despite never having developed an affinity for the dark arts of front bench politics by climbing the greasy pole the way most front benchers do. Remember that in his three decades as an MP he's never so much as been a PPS.

Labour are artificially handicapping themselves *a lot* by having him as leader.
    Someone else could undoubtedly run a smoother, more pr friendly operation, good links with the media, the right looking faces saying the right sounding words.

Even ignoring the political positioning for the moment and looking at the other stuff. What Corbyn lacks in the above which puts some people off is also what gives him his strengths in some people's eyes of authenticity, honesty and a different approach.

You can't simply bank these things and add the other. I think people who aren't supporters just imagine the benefits of improving on the weaknesses without thinking too much of what the benefits of the current strong points are. Possibly because these strong points are harder to see from their POV (same goes for Corbyn supporters and weaknesses obviously)

You could argue much the same with policy you swing towards one direction and you can lose as many as you gain from the change.

More of a general point than about him saying stupid people today. There was a youth surge and a general under 50 surge for Labour and Corbyn did play a part in that, he puts people off but he brings more in.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Anorak said:

"I want to live like stupid people
    I want to do whatever stupid people do
    I want to sleep with stupid people
    I want to sleep with stupid people like you."
    Is that how he seduced Diane?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    Why is it sexist to say stupid woman anyway? Might be rude but not sexist. Stupid man, stupid boy, stupid child.... What is the issue? This devalues the issue of real sexism.
  • Options

So will Jezza use the 'Chelsea defense' and claim that he actually said 'Stupid Manc'?

How about the Onasanya defence - 'it's all my brother, he just happened to be sitting in my seat at the wrong moment?'

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/peterborough-mp-fiona-onasanya-tells-court-she-was-betrayed-by-her-brother-1-8743023

After all, nobody would be surprised at anything Piers said...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

glw said:

It's a bit like the joke about Stalin's moustache:

Stalin is having a meeting with Marshal Zhukov on war plans against the Germans. Stalin is in something of a crabby mood, and Zhukov takes a bit of a tongue-lashing from the dictator. After the meeting, Zhukov heads out of Stalin's office, muttering under his breath, "I hate that idiot and his stupid mustache."

Stalin's secretary hears this and immediately reports what Zhukov has said. Stalin is not pleased and summons Zhukov again.

"Whom did you mean when you said you hated 'that idiot and his stupid mustache?" Stalin demanded.

"Hitler, of course," replied Zhukov smoothly.

Stalin nodded and turned slowly on his secretary. "And whom did you think he had in mind, Comrade Secretary?"
    That's a good joke.
  • Options
  • Options

Whilst all the arguments rage (or whimper?) about what one adult may or may not have said to another adult, I notice the EU have published their No Deal Brexit plans this morning which seem on face value to deal with a lot of the concerns about immediate impacts.

So.

UK Road Hauliers will be able to drive on EU roads without additional permits until the end of 2019.
    UK financial services regulations - in a limited number of areas - to be recognised as equivalent to the EU's for one or two years.
    Visas will not be required for UK visitors to the EU for less than 90 days stay.
    UK citizens who have lived in the EU for more than 5 years must be granted long term residents status.

Yes, I commented downthread that the sensible "temporary" (hm...) measures the UK and EU will put in place to avert mutual harm may well end up looking a better offer than the withdrawal agreement and warm words we have been served up with. Why sign up to that, or to reversing Brexit, if we can have a year to try to sort out the longer term arrangements? Seems quite clear neither side will allow armageddon to ensue...

But I still feel we need to just get out of this mess, abort the path we are on, and stay in for now.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Isn't this just a standard Corbyn story.

Right wingers pleased they have more propaganda to throw at Corbyn and left wingers pleased they've been given further proof that the truth is secondary to trying to attack and smear Corbyn.

End result, everyone more polarised nobody gains.

There is a reason the Tories keep doing this with Corbyn, they prefer it to having to talk about policies.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Even ignoring the political positioning for the moment and looking at the other stuff. What Corbyn lacks in the above which puts some people off is also what gives him his strengths in some people's eyes of authenticity, honesty and a different approach.

You're right, to a point, but it's possible to seem authentic to the membership and not make nearly so many unforced errors.

John McDonnell, for example.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

So.

Yes, I commented downthread that the sensible "temporary" (hm...) measures the UK and EU will put in place to avert mutual harm may well end up looking a better offer than the withdrawal agreement and warm words we have been served up with. Why sign up to that, or to reversing Brexit, if we can have a year to try to sort out the longer term arrangements? Seems quite clear neither side will allow armageddon to ensue...

But I still feel we need to just get out of this mess, abort the path we are on, and stay in for now.
    hope so... Grown ups!!
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

#gammonpride

Unite the Union ?
  • Options

Isn't this just a standard Corbyn story.

Right wingers pleased they have more propaganda to throw at Corbyn and left wingers pleased they've been given further proof that the truth is secondary to trying to attack and smear Corbyn.

End result, everyone more polarised nobody gains.

There is a reason the Tories keep doing this with Corbyn, they prefer it to having to talk about policies.

They prefer it to having to talk about Brexit.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    SeanT said:

Point of Order: I agree with Bev C

A unique moment in PB history. SeanT has agreed with me.

It has never happened before. It might never happen again.

I am in shock.

A cup of tea is definitely required...........

• Options

SeanT said:

Calling people stupid is still contrary to his friendly image. Has he had the good sense to apologise for it yet?
    It is!

It isn't really worth any kind of anger or disappointment but it is out of his usual character.

I think the argument will end up on the second word instead though...
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Going global. It's white dress / blue dress all over again!
    * beaten to it by william *
  • Options
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It's political correctness gone mad, you can't even call gammon gammon any more.

I was in a Wetherspoon last night. They had run out of gammon.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Trump is president because of this phenomenon. He's probably just the beginning. The Left is creating a powerful and very dangerous enemy for itself.

The advantage of culture war is it gets more people interested in politics.

The downside is that everyone is permanently furious and innocent people get hurt in the crossfire.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    edited December 2018
    CD13 said:

In football, to call someone a 'black c*nt' is a racial slur. To call someone a 'c*nt' is common banter. The colour of the skin is the issue. 'Gammon' doesn't refer to its nutrient flavour but to the colour of the skin. Ah, you may say, but the reason behind it is the real issue; calling someone a 'Gammon' is merely mocking their skin colour, so that's alright.

I fully agree, go right ahead and use it at every opportunity you can.

This is not quite right. It is not mocking the base colour of the skin, that would be racist, it is mocking the RAISED colour of the skin due to the angry rush of blood pressure which typically accompanies a diatribe on how 'the country is full' and how we need to be an independent coastal state with complete control over our borders and our fish.

We all come across these types. Well I don't, I live in Hampstead, but if I got out of my locale a bit more I'm sure I would.

Edit: And I've seen them on the television.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Andrew said:

40% is fair bit higher than I would have it personally.

https://twitter.com/kevcunningham/status/1075377057352351744

The numbers are a bit weird.

Chance of leaving the EU by end of March = 65% (so 35% of not leaving)
    Chance of No Deal crashout = 40%
    Chance of May's Deal passing by end of March = 52% (20% in Jan, 20% in Feb, 12% in March).

The discrepancy seems to be in the idea of a second referendum (and thus A50 extension).
    So, by end of March:
    52% Withdrawal Deal
    35% Not Leave
    and thus 13% crashout with no Deal at end of March

On the 35% Not Leave (due to referendum)
    61% of 35% Remain (21%)
    33% of 35% Deal (12%)
    6% of 35% No Deal (2%)

Giving total chances of:
    Leave with May's Deal by end of 2019: 64% (52% by Parliament, 12% by referendum)
    Remain after all: 21% (all by referendum)
    Crash out with No Deal: 15% (13% by Parliament, 2% by referendum)

Yet they separately say a No Deal crashout is 40%
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    I'm out of popcorn.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

So.

The EU has said Pet Passports will be invalid, though. So the Endtimes have not been entirely averted.
    I think the point is that these agreements are unilateral, limited in scope, short term, and may be revoked by the EU at any time.

If we think the EU have us over a barrel now, in April the EU will have the power to destroy a UK market segment with the flick of a finger.

And we'd still have to negotiate the backstop under these conditions.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Trump is president because of this phenomenon. He's probably just the beginning. The Left is creating a powerful and very dangerous enemy for itself.

The downside is that everyone is permanently furious and innocent people get hurt in the crossfire.
    A very insightful and uncharacteristically bile-free comment.

[I think that's what they call a back-handed compliment]
  • Options
    I love the term "gammon". It allows me - a middle aged white bloke - to belong to a political minority. We now have our own gang.

Yay for gammon. With pineapple on top.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

I'm out of popcorn.

Another Brexit shortage...
  • Options
    Anorak said:

SeanT said:

A very insightful and uncharacteristically bile-free comment.

[I think that's what they call a back-handed compliment]
    Say what you want about Trump, but for nerds like us, watching the fire and fury unfold has been fascinating, if horrifying.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @ Andy Cooke

Whoever did that should be betting HUGE on UK to leave by 29 March.

On BF that is not even a 50% chance let alone 76% or 65%.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    edited December 2018
    Does Captain Mainwaring need to apologise to Pike for suggesting he is a boy or for calling him stupid.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Given that we have former West Wing staffers chiming in, it is only a matter of minutes before Joey Lucas gets on a plane to explain the polling on #stupidwomangate to Josh and Toby
  • Options

I love the term "gammon". It allows me - a middle aged white bloke - to belong to a political minority. We now have our own gang.

Yay for gammon. With pineapple on top.

Gammon never sways in and out of fashion - prawn cocktail came and went but up and down the country gammon and eggs and PINEAPPLE is proudly being enjoyed.

• Options
    SeanT said:

lol. I'm slightly LESS certain he said "people" now. It *could* still be woman. But he does stare around as he says it. Hmm.

twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1075385049636397056

Ah, if Evolve Politics said he didn't do it, then he didn't do it. :p
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

I'm out of popcorn.

Another Brexit shortage...
    We haven't left yet... *innocent face*
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    It wasn't "stupid woman"

(Lipreading experience: zero)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

lol. I'm slightly LESS certain he said "people" now. It *could* still be woman. But he does stare around as he says it. Hmm.

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1075385049636397056

His lips don't meet on the 'W'. Can't say a 'P' without yer lips a-touchin', squire.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803

So.

Well there's a surprise...
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    kjh said:

Does Captain Mainwaring need to apologise to Pike for suggesting he is a boy or for calling him stupid.

Neither.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Yet another shitshow. Grim.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

This is a game-changing phenomenon in white countries, if it endures and progresses (and I see no reason why it shouldn't). It was entirely predictable, given the way the Left relentlessly bangs on about sexual and racial identity and white guilt, eventually the gammonistas were bound to react, and fight back - and vote - on the basis of their racial identity.

This is quite an interesting thread about how the right have slowly moved towards "owning the libs" as their main driving force.

https://twitter.com/prchovanec/status/1075182846300643330
    https://twitter.com/prchovanec/status/1075185190736154624
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE
  • Options

SeanT said:

So.

The EU has said Pet Passports will be invalid, though. So the Endtimes have not been entirely averted.
    I think the point is that these agreements are unilateral, limited in scope, short term, and may be revoked by the EU at any time.

If we think the EU have us over a barrel now, in April the EU will have the power to destroy a UK market segment with the flick of a finger.

And we'd still have to negotiate the backstop under these conditions.
    In the event of a No Deal Brexit there is no backstop.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Jezza getting in to the festive spirit by giving the Tories a dead cat as an early Christmas present.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Who cares!

The country is going to hell and we have the media obsessing over whether Corbyn says woman or people .

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Anorak said:

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

I thought that was an oblique way of saying 'new thread' for a moment.

I'm not sure that the LotO being either sexist or slagging off his own backbenchers is a moment that defines it is a great time to be alive.
  • Options

You're right, to a point, but it's possible to seem authentic to the membership and not make nearly so many unforced errors.

John McDonnell, for example.
    I can't speak for the entire Corbyn inspired Labour voting block but I'll try, whilst I do think Of McDonnell as maybe the more effective politician at getting things done I think Corbyn has just got that something extra in terms of the qualities I listed earlier which is why I like them as they are. I think they provide a good contrast and the leader needs to be more inspiring whilst the chancellor needs to more practical.
  • Options
    OortOort Posts: 96
    edited December 2018
    The first word was "stupid", and the second was two syllables, each beginning with a bilabial stop.

"Stupid people"
    "Stupid Pepe"
    "Stupid babies"
    "Stupid pebble"

It was patently obviously "Stupid people", much as "Stupid Pepe" would be more interesting. But wait - @OxfordSimon can "think of no idiomatic usage that would make 'stupid people' a likely utterance from anyone". There are 12.9 million cases on the web, so maybe people never say it and only write it?

Of course the headlines will read "Corbyn 'did not call May a "stupid woman" ', and the subconscious isn't good with "not".
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    SeanT said:

Its going to be the new gold and white or blue and white dress thing....
  • Options
    Not at all clear what Jeremy's 2nd word actually is. Could be woman but it is not case proven for me. Does not look like people either. Best I can come up with is vermin. Stupid vermin I think he's saying. So I guess he's off the hook.
  • Options
    What was Labour's big announcement? :p
  • Options
    Oort said:

The first word was "stupid", and the second was two syllables, each beginning with a bilabial stop.

"Stupid people"
    "Stupid Pepe"
    "Stupid babies"
    "Stupid pebble"

It was patently obviously "Stupid people", much as "Stupid Pepe" would be more interesting. But wait - @OxfordSimon can "think of no idiomatic usage that would make 'stupid people' a likely utterance from anyone". There are 12.9 million cases on the web, so maybe people never say it and only write it?

There are about 566 million cases of "stupid woman" on the web.

Want to revisit the point you were making?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_P said:
    More significant than it seems. It fits the stereotype of an old fashioned lefty from the days of male dominated unions and closed shops. Quite a slip for someone who by all accounts is well mannered.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    RobD said:

That Len McCluskey doesn't like the idea of a second referendum...

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2018/12/len-mccluskey-second-brexit-referendum-risks-tearing-our-society-apart
  • Options
    RobD said:

Apparently it was McCluskey, who had a small one.

That isn't really news, but fortunately Corbyn has found a way to dominate the headlines with a feminist agenda...
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    More significant than it seems. It fits the stereotype of an old fashioned lefty from the days of male dominated unions and closed shops. Quite a slip for someone who by all accounts is well mannered.
    Furthermore he was responding to TM final response to him so 'woman' is far more likely
  • Options

Oort said:

"Stupid people"
    "Stupid Pepe"
    "Stupid babies"
    "Stupid pebble"

There are about 566 million cases of "stupid woman" on the web.

Want to revisit the point you were making?
    Corbyn prides himself on being different and not going for the option that favours the 1% (more like the 0.1%)...
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Anorak said:

SeanT said:

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1075385049636397056

His lips don't meet on the 'W'. Can't say a 'P' without yer lips a-touchin', squire.
    I'm no lip reader but if he definitely said Stupid and the second word was People then the lip shape should look the same for all the "P-" syllables. I dont think it does.
This discussion has been closed.