Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CNN reveals document on Russian tower deal signed by Trump con

Comments

• justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    More significant than it seems. It fits the stereotype of an old fashioned lefty from the days of male dominated unions and closed shops. Quite a slip for someone who by all accounts is well mannered.
    I see nothing untoward about calling someone a 'stupid man' or a 'stupid woman'.
  • OortOort Posts: 96
    edited December 2018

Oort said:

The first word was "stupid", and the second was two syllables, each beginning with a bilabial stop.

"Stupid people"
    "Stupid Pepe"
    "Stupid babies"
    "Stupid pebble"

It was patently obviously "Stupid people", much as "Stupid Pepe" would be more interesting. But wait - @OxfordSimon can "think of no idiomatic usage that would make 'stupid people' a likely utterance from anyone". There are 12.9 million cases on the web, so maybe people never say it and only write it?

There are about 566 million cases of "stupid woman" on the web.

Want to revisit the point you were making?
    566 million > 12.9 million is no argument for 12.9 million being equal to zero.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    More significant than it seems. It fits the stereotype of an old fashioned lefty from the days of male dominated unions and closed shops. Quite a slip for someone who by all accounts is well mannered.
    Yes whatever it was they got to him and he showed it.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    Oort said:

Oort said:

The first word was "stupid", and the second was two syllables, each beginning with a bilabial stop.

"Stupid people"
    "Stupid Pepe"
    "Stupid babies"
    "Stupid pebble"

It was patently obviously "Stupid people", much as "Stupid Pepe" would be more interesting. But wait - @OxfordSimon can "think of no idiomatic usage that would make 'stupid people' a likely utterance from anyone". There are 12.9 million cases on the web, so maybe people never say it and only write it?

566 million > 12.9 million is no argument for 12.9 million not being equal to zero.
    There was a (Tory) minister who when asked why a particular recurring problem had not been eradicated said, 'Look, the target's zero, but with big numbers "zero" means plus or minus a few.'
  • justin124 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    I see nothing untoward about calling someone a 'stupid man' or a 'stupid woman'.
    I wouldn't expect you to - it comes under the heading of respect
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

RobD said:

What was Labour's big announcement? :p

That Len McCluskey doesn't like the idea of a second referendum...

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2018/12/len-mccluskey-second-brexit-referendum-risks-tearing-our-society-apart
    There is no chance of a second referendum.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Brits lose their freedom of movement rights so the government can bring in more non EU nationals to fill the jobs Europeans would have done .

I’m sure the UKIP crowd would love that !
  • Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Furthermore he was responding to TM final response to him so 'woman' is far more likely
    If it's "people" then he's either referring to his own MPs or the country as a whole. Neither of which is exactly a good look either.
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH

Actually, looking at it again. I do believe it could be Stupid Woman.

Meanwhile, re the backstop and the EU's temporary measures, I believe this kicks the can down the road for nine months:

"The Commission has also adopted a proposal for a Regulation to allow UK operators to temporarily (nine months) carry goods into the EU, provided the UK confers equivalent rights to EU road haulage operators and subject to fair competition conditions."
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    SeanT said:

Whilst all the arguments rage (or whimper?) about what one adult may or may not have said to another adult, I notice the EU have published their No Deal Brexit plans this morning which seem on face value to deal with a lot of the concerns about immediate impacts.

So.

UK flights will be allowed to operate into and out of the EU.
    UK Road Hauliers will be able to drive on EU roads without additional permits until the end of 2019.
    UK financial services regulations - in a limited number of areas - to be recognised as equivalent to the EU's for one or two years.
    Visas will not be required for UK visitors to the EU for less than 90 days stay.
    UK citizens who have lived in the EU for more than 5 years must be granted long term residents status.

The EU has said Pet Passports will be invalid, though. So the Endtimes have not been entirely averted.
    Enjoy Crufts 2019. Might be the last time that Johnny Furriner walks off with all the Best In Breeds.......
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Oort said:

"Stupid people"
    "Stupid Pepe"
    "Stupid babies"
    "Stupid pebble"

Well quite.

There are plenty of occasions when you can talk about stupid people - but it tends to come in the context of a longer phrase or sentence. 'There are a lot of stupid people who believe..' - that sort of thing. And indeed that is what Google appears to be showing up.

I honestly cannot think of any time in my nearly 50 years on this planet when someone has used 'Stupid People' as a standalone phrase in this sort of circumstance (as a dismissive retort/reaction)

justin124 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    It falls well short of being abusive - otherwise 'Stupid Boy' would not have been repeated ad nauseam on Dad's Army. It is PC gone mad - though Corbyn has certainly contributed to that over time.
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    It falls well short of being abusive - otherwise 'Stupid Boy' would not have been repeated ad nauseam on Dad's Army. It is PC gone mad - though Corbyn has certainly contributed to that over time.
    Ooh if we're bringing Dad's Army into it can we please have Love Thy Neighbour and Steptoe & Sons as icons of Left-leaning right on humour?
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

I thought that was an oblique way of saying 'new thread' for a moment.

I'm not sure that the LotO being either sexist or slagging off his own backbenchers is a moment that defines it is a great time to be alive.
    Pooh to you, sir. With knobs on. (c) Pitt the Younger.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    TOPPING said:

Meanwhile, re the backstop and the EU's temporary measures, I believe this kicks the can down the road for nine months:

"The Commission has also adopted a proposal for a Regulation to allow UK operators to temporarily (nine months) carry goods into the EU, provided the UK confers equivalent rights to EU road haulage operators and subject to fair competition conditions."

So no worry over permits?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    View from the Asian community: Wor lass reckons it was 'Woman'. And that was without knowing what he might have said.

I then repeatedly mouthed both words at random, and she got it right every time.

• AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Furthermore he was responding to TM final response to him so 'woman' is far more likely
    Only just arrived online, so please could someone explain to me why calling someone a stupid woman or man is sexist? I thought the big problem was being certain what gender the person identifies as, but it sounds as though that is common ground.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited December 2018
    I take it "Rachael Swindon" seeks only the unvarnished truth in this world ?

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1075394489529835520
    edited December 2018
    TOPPING said:

It could be, zooming in close and playing it slow. But I still think 'stupid people' is more plausible. I think it's 'l' not 'm'. The first word is definitely 'stupid.'

And, incidentally, I have always thought Balls really did say 'so weak' as well.

I hope for his sake it is 'stupid people.' Otherwise he's going to be in much more trouble for lying about it than he would have been for saying it.
  • Sky is playing the whole piece with TM launching her attack and then focussing on Corbyn

My wife has justed watched it and has said it was 'woman'.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Can someone do a comparison between Gorden Kaye saying 'You Stupid Woman' on 'Allo, 'Allo and today's video?

I fear that the French accent and more deliberate speech pattern might make it tricky - but as it was a frequently used phrase in that show, it might shed some light on things!
  • I have years of extensive lip reading and I can say without fear of contradiction that Corbyn in fact said 'Stupid Zionist'
  • notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

This is a game-changing phenomenon in white countries, if it endures and progresses (and I see no reason why it shouldn't). It was entirely predictable, given the way the Left relentlessly bangs on about sexual and racial identity and white guilt, eventually the gammonistas were bound to react, and fight back - and vote - on the basis of their racial identity.

Trump is president because of this phenomenon. He's probably just the beginning. The Left is creating a powerful and very dangerous enemy for itself.

This is quite an interesting thread about how the right have slowly moved towards "owning the libs" as their main driving force.

https://twitter.com/prchovanec/status/1075182846300643330
    https://twitter.com/prchovanec/status/1075185190736154624
    Yes, that's a good analysis.

It could be summed up this way: the Left has always hated the right, especially poor white rightwingers, and the Left is pretty open about this, accusing the "gammons", "deplorables", "gilets jaunes" of racism/stupidity etc etc

For the first time, poor white people are beginning to hate the Left in turn, and automatically oppose everything the Left says and thinks; these people will do anything to upset the Left, just BECAUSE it upsets them. Trump has benefited.

And clearly the phenomenon has crossed the Atlantic. How many Brexiteers voted Leave, just because it would distress liberal metropolitan snobs? Quite a few, I reckon.

What's more, it will very likely get worse.

If there was a second referendum it might be the only reason i would vote leave.
    I could not care less whether Corbyn said it or not. Even if he did , half the country is likely to agree with him. Now had he called her a 'silly F..... Cow' - that would have been a different matter!
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

"In a no deal scenario, all relevant EU legislation on the importation and exportation of goods will apply to goods moving between the EU and the UK. The Commission has today adopted the following technical measures"

Pretty self-explanatory.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    notme2 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

This is a game-changing phenomenon in white countries, if it endures and progresses (and I see no reason why it shouldn't). It was entirely predictable, given the way the Left relentlessly bangs on about sexual and racial identity and white guilt, eventually the gammonistas were bound to react, and fight back - and vote - on the basis of their racial identity.

Trump is president because of this phenomenon. He's probably just the beginning. The Left is creating a powerful and very dangerous enemy for itself.

This is quite an interesting thread about how the right have slowly moved towards "owning the libs" as their main driving force.

It could be summed up this way: the Left has always hated the right, especially poor white rightwingers, and the Left is pretty open about this, accusing the "gammons", "deplorables", "gilets jaunes" of racism/stupidity etc etc

For the first time, poor white people are beginning to hate the Left in turn, and automatically oppose everything the Left says and thinks; these people will do anything to upset the Left, just BECAUSE it upsets them. Trump has benefited.

And clearly the phenomenon has crossed the Atlantic. How many Brexiteers voted Leave, just because it would distress liberal metropolitan snobs? Quite a few, I reckon.

If there was a second referendum it might be the only reason i would vote leave.
    That's a bad reason.

I have years of extensive lip reading and I can say without fear of contradiction that Corbyn in fact said 'Stupid Zionist'

You're sure it wasn't 'good working class Yorkshire Muslim boy?'
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SeanT said:

Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Those who use it now on Twitter and elsewhere just look passe and vindictive, and a little dim; those who over-react to it are fools.

Ssssssh, you're not supposed to point it out. PB is the only place I frequent where the word routinely provokes a hilarious overreactions from people. Soon it will have no power anywhere at all.

Somewhat surprised we haven't seen a reclamation movement from the right yet.

#gammonpride

OH SNAP I JUST INVENTED A NEW MOVEMENT.
    You're us put gammon in the Twitternames, or use pictures of it in their avatars.
    Can anyone think of what happened the last time that white men decided to act politically as a cohesive minority group?
    The Grand Tour.
    The second series was rather good. My wife's stepmother is the producer.

In all seriousness, there's now plenty of evidence that white people, especially poorer white women and men, are beginning to cohere as a political bloc, based on their race and background.

All politics is identity politics. If you think white people haven't been cohering as a political block in the past then you haven't been paying attention.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Just a stupid man...

The real significance is both sides going into their bunkers and being even less willing to come up with a way out of Brexit logjam. Personal animosity allied with stubborness and political differences is not likely to make for a government of national unity.

Incidentally @TSE I read this this morning and thought of you:

Action film Die Hard came in sixth place.
    There's always a fierce debate about whether Die Hard is really a Christmas film.
    Bruce Willis plays an off-duty cop who walks barefoot through broken glass to stop a group of German terrorists - not exactly a traditional Christmas vibe.
    But it is set on Christmas Eve, and who doesn't enjoy watching an action classic with the family and a box of chocs?

Best Christmas film: Elf, The Muppets and Love Actually miss top spot
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46616452
    GIN1138 said:

Whilst all the arguments rage (or whimper?) about what one adult may or may not have said to another adult, I notice the EU have published their No Deal Brexit plans this morning which seem on face value to deal with a lot of the concerns about immediate impacts.

So.

UK Road Hauliers will be able to drive on EU roads without additional permits until the end of 2019.
    UK financial services regulations - in a limited number of areas - to be recognised as equivalent to the EU's for one or two years.
    Visas will not be required for UK visitors to the EU for less than 90 days stay.
    UK citizens who have lived in the EU for more than 5 years must be granted long term residents status.

Well there's a surprise...
    I thought managed no deal was a myth. This is exactly that...
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    ydoethur said:
    It clearly wasn't credible; what more could she want?
  • justin124 said:

I could not care less whether Corbyn said it or not. Even if he did , half the country is likely to agree with him. Now had he called her a 'silly F..... Cow' - that would have been a different matter!

You may not care but the PR for Corbyn is dreadful and the story has more to come
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Those who use it now on Twitter and elsewhere just look passe and vindictive, and a little dim; those who over-react to it are fools.

Ssssssh, you're not supposed to point it out. PB is the only place I frequent where the word routinely provokes a hilarious overreactions from people. Soon it will have no power anywhere at all.

#gammonpride

You're us put gammon in the Twitternames, or use pictures of it in their avatars.
    Can anyone think of what happened the last time that white men decided to act politically as a cohesive minority group?
    The Grand Tour.

In all seriousness, there's now plenty of evidence that white people, especially poorer white women and men, are beginning to cohere as a political bloc, based on their race and background.

All politics is identity politics. If you think white people haven't been cohering as a political block in the past then you haven't been paying attention.
    Not very much in the UK previously (the US is obviously different).
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

TBH the American right and some white parts of it were ahead of the game a long time before Hillary made her deplorables comments. Right wing extremists were agitating for a long time in America. It is to a lesser extent in Britain but we have a similar situation with an extreme section whipped up further by the right wing press. Jo Cox was killed before Brexit happened.

What happened in America isn't white people fighting back, it is a deliberate strategy on behalf of the Republican party to push a culture war and hover up enough of the white vote by railing against the minorities and other weak groups. The Republican party had 2 choices, start reaching out to more groups in society or double down on their white vote by embracing hatred and division.

The democrat party has plenty of responsibility for the situation that has developed in America and for not being a better alternative and for making Clinton their candidate but the American right chose xenophobia, hatred and racism. They raced ahead of any attempt by the left to push them.

So.

No, the deal was UK operated flights could make technical stops in the EU without restriction. Technical stops do not allow passengers to board or disembark.

To actually fly passengers to/from locations UK operated flights would have to apply for permission.
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. 124, I largely agree it's a storm in a teacup, but there is a strange respect for May in the country, so it may not go down well.
    notme2 said:

GIN1138 said:

So.

It's pretty much on the EU's terms, that said. It just contracts the transition period to nine months.
  • Can someone do a comparison between Gorden Kaye saying 'You Stupid Woman' on 'Allo, 'Allo and today's video?

I fear that the French accent and more deliberate speech pattern might make it tricky - but as it was a frequently used phrase in that show, it might shed some light on things!

oh 'eck

Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. 124, I largely agree it's a storm in a teacup, but there is a strange respect for May in the country, so it may not go down well.

A Tory minister called Harriet Harman 'a stupid cow' in 1996 during the debate on BSE.

However, Boothroyd dropped on him like a ton of bricks and he withdrew it.
    kinabalu said:

CD13 said:

In football, to call someone a 'black c*nt' is a racial slur. To call someone a 'c*nt' is common banter. The colour of the skin is the issue. 'Gammon' doesn't refer to its nutrient flavour but to the colour of the skin. Ah, you may say, but the reason behind it is the real issue; calling someone a 'Gammon' is merely mocking their skin colour, so that's alright.

I fully agree, go right ahead and use it at every opportunity you can.

This is not quite right. It is not mocking the base colour of the skin, that would be racist, it is mocking the RAISED colour of the skin due to the angry rush of blood pressure which typically accompanies a diatribe on how 'the country is full' and how we need to be an independent coastal state with complete control over our borders and our fish.

We all come across these types. Well I don't, I live in Hampstead, but if I got out of my locale a bit more I'm sure I would.

Edit: And I've seen them on the television.
    If you are red faced due to high blood pressure its pretty much a permanent state. They arent red when angry, just generally red all the time.
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

#gammonpride

The Grand Tour.

I think it is a new phenomenon in Britain, and fairly new in America. Moreover, it has never had an obvious influence on politics: until Trump, and in part, Brexit and the Gilets Jaunes.
    White identity politics has always been strong in the South. It's probably strongest of all in Mississippi where in a typical election, 85-90% of white people vote Republican, and 95-98% of black people vote Democratic.

It's notable though that non-Hispanic whites across the US as a whole now vote Republican in the same proportion that Southern Whites did 30 years ago, and the proportion will probably keep rising.

• CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Oort said:

notme2 said:

I hope Lincolnshire County Council has enough grit, gumption, plasterboard and UPVC double glazing to build 100,000 pensioner chalets in twelve weeks cos we're sure as shit not letting them all live in Remainia when Spain deports the diaspora Costa community.

I hope Lincolnshire County Council has enough grit, gumption, plasterboard and UPVC double glazing to build 100,000 pensioner chalets in twelve weeks cos we're sure as shit not letting them all live in Remainia when Spain deports the diaspora Costa community.

We have 3.7 million Eu citizens in the UK. Every year we have a net addition of 100,000 Eu citizens to the uk.
    Actually we have 62.9m EU citizens in the UK. Sadly, about 59.2m are in danger of having that citizenship stripped from them.
    Minus about 7 million British citizens entitled to Irish passports who haven't already got one. So Arlene Foster for example will be all right, as will Tony Blair.

But you're right. Most of us are being stripped of our EU citizenship because millions of xenophobic Sun readers have globbed on to the EU membership issue because that's the path of least resistance.
    7 million O_O !?
    That’s the solution!

We should all get Irish passports and vote for the reunification of the British Isles!
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

#gammonpride

The Grand Tour.

Not in the sense of "vote for X because you are a white man".
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Having watched it slowly, the first word does seem to be a "w", but the second syllable seems to be more a "p" than an "m".

So we can conclude that Corbyn definitely said "stupid woople"
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    OK, I've watched it again:

"Stupid gammon"
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

"In a no deal scenario, all relevant EU legislation on the importation and exportation of goods will apply to goods moving between the EU and the UK. The Commission has today adopted the following technical measures"

Pretty self-explanatory.
    So it'll be as if we never left? :p
    edited December 2018
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Oort said:

notme2 said:

We have 3.7 million Eu citizens in the UK. Every year we have a net addition of 100,000 Eu citizens to the uk.
    Actually we have 62.9m EU citizens in the UK. Sadly, about 59.2m are in danger of having that citizenship stripped from them.
    Minus about 7 million British citizens entitled to Irish passports who haven't already got one. So Arlene Foster for example will be all right, as will Tony Blair.

But you're right. Most of us are being stripped of our EU citizenship because millions of xenophobic Sun readers have globbed on to the EU membership issue because that's the path of least resistance.
    7 million O_O !?
    That’s the solution!

We should all get Irish passports and vote for the reunification of the British Isles!
    Lol - Are you entitled to one too :p
    TOPPING said:

notme2 said:

GIN1138 said:

So.

It's pretty much on the EU's terms, that said. It just contracts the transition period to nine months.
    But the withdrawal agreement was 24 months and it came with two years of membership fees.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

I have years of extensive lip reading and I can say without fear of contradiction that Corbyn in fact said 'Stupid Zionist'

Tea leaf.
    https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/1075389803598888961

justin124 said:

You may not care but the PR for Corbyn is dreadful and the story has more to come
    It will pass most people by and in so far as it is noticed at all the general response is likely to be of bemusement - certainly not outrage. I am sure MPs call each other 'stupid' on a regular basis - even when sitting on the same side of the House. I recall an incident just prior to Parliament being dissolved in May 1970 when the Shadow Chancellor - Iain Macleod - muttered 'Bastard' at Harold Wilson. Nobody made a fuss over that at all!

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

TBH the American right and some white parts of it were ahead of the game a long time before Hillary made her deplorables comments. Right wing extremists were agitating for a long time in America. It is to a lesser extent in Britain but we have a similar situation with an extreme section whipped up further by the right wing press. Jo Cox was killed before Brexit happened.

What happened in America isn't white people fighting back, it is a deliberate strategy on behalf of the Republican party to push a culture war and hover up enough of the white vote by railing against the minorities and other weak groups. The Republican party had 2 choices, start reaching out to more groups in society or double down on their white vote by embracing hatred and division.

The democrat party has plenty of responsibility for the situation that has developed in America and for not being a better alternative and for making Clinton their candidate but the American right chose xenophobia, hatred and racism. They raced ahead of any attempt by the left to push them.
    "push a culture war"

I can hardly stop laughing.
    Anorak said:

Tea leaf.
    How about 'stupid Womble' - incompetently clearing up someone else's mess?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    When was Betty Boothroyd MR Deputy Speaker?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    justin124 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Stupid 'woman' is a particular old fashioned expression which is offensive and patronising
  • Anorak said:

Tea leaf.
    I hadn’t seen that.
    edited December 2018
    notme2 said:

TOPPING said:

notme2 said:

GIN1138 said:

So.

But the withdrawal agreement was 24 months and it came with two years of membership fees.
    Yes absolutely it contracts the withdrawal period. As for the £39bn wasn't some/all of that scheduled and contracted rather than ongoing fees for membership?

And then at the end of the nine months, presumably, if we are still in turmoil, it will be extended again, but all of this is in the context of the following:

"In a no deal scenario, all relevant EU legislation on the importation and exportation of goods will apply to goods moving between the EU and the UK."

Do we have any idea of an ERG response to this?
  • What was Labour's news at 1pm?
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

justin124 said:

How do you know it's dreadful?

I agree with Justin. Having just caught up with this story and watched Mrs May's peculiar panto rant, my instant thought was ""stupid woman". I could actually have been ruder. If it had been a man, I would have thought "stupid prick". Then I saw Corbyn mouth something similar and thought "you're right".

I don't know whether the offence is to describe her as stupid or describe her as a woman. PC storm in a teacup brewed up by Corbyn haters.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

View from the Asian community: Wor lass reckons it was 'Woman'. And that was without knowing what he might have said.

I then repeatedly mouthed both words at random, and she got it right every time

We're all round your place at Christmas. The party games sound a hoot.....
    Donny43 said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

#gammonpride

The Grand Tour.

"If you want a n****r for a neighbour vote Liberal or Labour" ring any bells?

Across the pond America had a series of acrimonious elections followed by a civil war on the tricky subject of whether black people were human beings or property.
  • The rule remains that all Speakers are "Mr Speaker" unless they state a preference otherwise., Betty Boothroyd did, I think, as speaker - but as deputy speaker? note sure.
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

#gammonpride

The Grand Tour.

I think it is a new phenomenon in Britain, and fairly new in America. Moreover, it has never had an obvious influence on politics: until Trump, and in part, Brexit and the Gilets Jaunes.
    Identity politics in the uk has always been a game of minority top trumps, largely an urban game of who can deploy the most resources on grateful minorities.

Brexit was the very first time in modern uk politics when white working class people fought back. That it was such an easy win was as much as a shock to them as everyone else.

Len McCluskley is opposed to another referendum
    HM and HRH have had heavy colds in the past and survived. :o
    Roger said:

justin124 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Stupid 'woman' is a particular old fashioned expression which is offensive and patronising
    No more so than being called a stupid'man'. To suggest otherwise is blatantly sexist.
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Just a stupid man...

The real significance is both sides going into their bunkers and being even less willing to come up with a way out of Brexit logjam. Personal animosity allied with stubborness and political differences is not likely to make for a government of national unity.

very true.
    Alistair said:

Donny43 said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

#gammonpride

The Grand Tour.

Across the pond America had a series of acrimonious elections followed by a civil war on the tricky subject of whether black people were human beings or property.
    Colin Jordan and his ilk have been pretty marginal political figures.
    Not true. Last year the Queen and Prince Phillip both had heavy colds and it delayed their departure for Sandringham.

That said, I did wonder aloud if an announcement about one or other of them was imminent, and it turned out I was right although not in the way I expected.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited December 2018
    justin124 said:

No reference to what Wilson said in 1947 as if it were relevant today. You disappoint.
  • RobD said:

HM and HRH have had heavy colds in the past and survived. :o
    It is karma for being an adulterer/fornicator.

The Church takes these things seriously.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Pulpstar said:

We are absolutely fucked unless some politicians become statesmen and put the national interest ahead of petty party shit in the next six weeks.

Christmas holidays for parliament till the 7th soon xD
    Yeh, just great isn't it? The country faces its biggest national crisis since the WWII, and parliament buggers off for a holiday.

I am incandescent today, at this mess.
    Be careful- some think it immoral on the support staff to come in if parliament does not recess

Probably more consequential than stupidwomangate.
    Remember - Julian Assange is still in the embassy.
  • Scott_P said:
    Michael Gove’s campaign manager.

I wonder if Gove will weigh in and if he doesn’t condemn Boles......

According to the Guardian blog:

"May says, if Corbyn does not want to see money spent on no-deal, he should vote for this deal."

How does he do that when she won't hold the vote?

True, but the absence of a vote does not prevent someone signalling support.
    TOPPING said:

notme2 said:

TOPPING said:

notme2 said:

GIN1138 said:

So.

Yes absolutely it contracts the withdrawal period. As for the £39bn wasn't some/all of that scheduled and contracted rather than ongoing fees for membership?

And then at the end of the nine months, presumably, if we are still in turmoil, it will be extended again, but all of this is in the context of the following:

"In a no deal scenario, all relevant EU legislation on the importation and exportation of goods will apply to goods moving between the EU and the UK."

Do we have any idea of an ERG response to this?
    I think the vast bulk was two years membership fees, then various programmes we still are signed up to and then pension contributions. We were clearly done up like a kipper on this figure, but their insistence on sequencing meant the longer we talked about the bill the less time we had on the WA. Tick Tock was the tweet...

The rule remains that all Speakers are "Mr Speaker" unless they state a preference otherwise., Betty Boothroyd did, I think, as speaker - but as deputy speaker? note sure.

She asked to be called 'Madame Deputy Speaker' on her first day in 1988(?). So yes, it may have been one of the others.

He’s said it before.
    matt said:

justin124 said:

No reference to what Wilson said in 1947 as if it were relevant today. You disappoint.
    Are you really so lacking in insight?
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Time for BBC Parliament to be upgraded to 4K to make the lip reading easier.
    RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:
    What was the point in sharing this? The fact that a nation with a population 20x our own is going to overtake us in total GDP should be cause for very modest celebration. Very modest because the standard of living for hundreds of millions of Indians is still absolutely wretched, and malnutrition is worse than in Sub-Saharan Africa.

It will be good when they reach 90%+ literacy. After all, it’s been a priority since 1947.
    Indeed. Some seem to almost feel a perverse joy at the idea we are declining, when as you note India really should be above us
  • Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

How do you know it's dreadful?

I agree with Justin. Having just caught up with this story and watched Mrs May's peculiar panto rant, my instant thought was ""stupid woman". I could actually have been ruder. If it had been a man, I would have thought "stupid prick". Then I saw Corbyn mouth something similar and thought "you're right".

I don't know whether the offence is to describe her as stupid or describe her as a woman. PC storm in a teacup brewed up by Corbyn haters.
    I know it is dreadful pr. Just watch the media
    notme2 said:

"push a culture war"

I can hardly stop laughing.

America fought an actual war over whether black people were human beings. The losers of that one never accepted the result.
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Scott_P said:
    What was the point in sharing this? The fact that a nation with a population 20x our own is going to overtake us in total GDP should be cause for very modest celebration. Very modest because the standard of living for hundreds of millions of Indians is still absolutely wretched, and malnutrition is worse than in Sub-Saharan Africa.

It will be good when they reach 90%+ literacy. After all, it’s been a priority since 1947.
    Indeed. Some seem to almost feel a perverse joy at the idea we are declining, when as you note India really should be above us
    India's GDP could be five times the size of ours, and we'd still have a much higher standard of living.
    Alistair said:

Donny43 said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Donny43 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

#gammonpride

The Grand Tour.

A one off, widely condemned at the time, and from the distant past.
    RobD said:

Did he tell her to calm down too? :smiley:
    Which as we know is beyond the pale.

I suspect outrage and lack of outrage will mysteriously switch places for this event compared to that one.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

What was Labour's news at 1pm?

Yes and no.

Referendum with not much support from MPs gets confirmation that some MPs will not be allowed to support..
This discussion has been closed.