Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CNN reveals document on Russian tower deal signed by Trump con

12345679»

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    If her sentence is less than 12 months she does not have to resign her seat. Clearly that would be suboptimal for Labour whether or not she is an official Labour MP.
    If she's imprisoned even for ten days she'll be expected to quit. Certainly she won't be able to stand again.

But I think she will get six months and that effectively removes her from Parliament if as seems likely there is an election in the spring. I don't think an MP has been elected while in jail since 1918.
    Fermanagh South Tyrone 1981 ?!
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited December 2018
    It would be handy if we had video of the Corbster saying the words people and woman* in the same sentence for comparison.

You're welcome.

(*actually women.. but the consonants are the same and I don't have all day. Also, it's about 2'40 into the video, a few secs after this bookmark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJO1iiOXWr4&feature=youtu.be&t=158
  • Roger said:

justin124 said:

I could not care less whether Corbyn said it or not. Even if he did , half the country is likely to agree with him. Now had he called her a 'silly F..... Cow' - that would have been a different matter!

'Silly fucking cow' may have been more impolite but it would have been less politically incorrect. 'Stupid woman' suggests she's stupid by dint of her being a woman. 'Stupid fucking cow' is non specific.
    No it's not. I've never heard a man called a 'cow'; it's a derogatory term used to (or of) women. "Stupid idiot" would have been less politically incorrect, at least in gender terms.
  • Pulpstar said:

Onasanya can remain an MP if her sentence is under 12 months I believe.

CAN, not should or will.

I'd have the sentence spread at around that mark.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Sean_F said:

notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    wasnt the tory she beat remarkable for been even more loathsome and a sometime poster on here?
    Stewart Jackson is certainly a piece of work.

IMHO, he is why a marginal seat that voted 63% for Brexit went Labour.
    He would not agree, I was at an event where he firmly insists May has cost him two jobs now.
  • It would be handy if we had video of the Corbster saying the words people and woman* in the same sentence for comparison.

You're welcome.

(*actually women.. but the consonants are the same and I don't have all day)

Do we have to watch all 59m 30s?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1075414843094720514 By election timing could be interesting.

though it is possible it never actually takes place.

I have to say that person has a very naive view of what we expect of politicians.

Well, it looks like only one Labour MP is getting done for lying today.

She was done like a kipper, but Corbyn is proving a red herring?

• James Forsyth
    ‏Verified account @JGForsyth
    2m2 minutes ago

Vicky Ford says that Bercow has called her a ‘stupid woman’. Bercow says that he refutes it 100%

#ibelieveher
  • Alistair said:

Whilst all the arguments rage (or whimper?) about what one adult may or may not have said to another adult, I notice the EU have published their No Deal Brexit plans this morning which seem on face value to deal with a lot of the concerns about immediate impacts.

So.

UK flights will be allowed to operate into and out of the EU.

No, the deal was UK operated flights could make technical stops in the EU without restriction. Technical stops do not allow passengers to board or disembark.

To actually fly passengers to/from locations UK operated flights would have to apply for permission.
    That is not what is being reported by any of the news agencies (I still haven't found a link ti the actual document.) They are saying that flights continue between the UK and EU as normal but UK airlines will not be operate flights within the EU.
  • notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    Pulpstar said:
    funniest twitter conversation of the day... the "country's foremost forensic lip-reader" was investigated for perjury, with "the cps has decided not to rely on Jessica Rees as a prosecution witness in current or future cases"
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    If her sentence is less than 12 months she does not have to resign her seat. Clearly that would be suboptimal for Labour whether or not she is an official Labour MP.
    If she's imprisoned even for ten days she'll be expected to quit. Certainly she won't be able to stand again.

But I think she will get six months and that effectively removes her from Parliament if as seems likely there is an election in the spring. I don't think an MP has been elected while in jail since 1918.
    Fermanagh South Tyrone 1981 ?!
    Yes, you're right, I was forgetting the hunger strikers. Makes me sound like a Thatcherite...

In 1918 the jailbirds in question were Irish revolutionaries as well, of course.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/SiDedman/status/1075412056092958721

Might make moving a vote of no confidence more difficult for Corbyn.

Be fun if they lost it by Bercow's casting vote.....on so many levels.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Alistair said:

Whilst all the arguments rage (or whimper?) about what one adult may or may not have said to another adult, I notice the EU have published their No Deal Brexit plans this morning which seem on face value to deal with a lot of the concerns about immediate impacts.

So.

No, the deal was UK operated flights could make technical stops in the EU without restriction. Technical stops do not allow passengers to board or disembark.

To actually fly passengers to/from locations UK operated flights would have to apply for permission.
    That is not what is being reported by any of the news agencies (I still haven't found a link ti the actual document.) They are saying that flights continue between the UK and EU as normal but UK airlines will not be operate flights within the EU.
    Haven't looked any further than the front page.

europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-6851_en.htm
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    wasnt the tory she beat remarkable for been even more loathsome and a sometime poster on here?
    Stewart Jackson is certainly a piece of work.

IMHO, he is why a marginal seat that voted 63% for Brexit went Labour.
    He would not agree, I was at an event where he firmly insists May has cost him two jobs now.
    "He would say that, wouldn't he?"
  • One third of Peterborough council is up for election next May, if there is a by election, I wonder if Labour will schedule it as the same day as those locals?

James Forsyth
    ‏Verified account @JGForsyth
    2m2 minutes ago

Vicky Ford says that Bercow has called her a ‘stupid woman’. Bercow says that he refutes it 100%

#ibelieveher

Would be hilarious if a throwaway insult by Corbyn led to the destruction of Bercow.

We'd have to start referring to Jeremy Blair as nothing seems to stick to him...
  • RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Bobby Sands. Didn't hold it for long tho'.
  • notme2 said:

Pulpstar said:
    funniest twitter conversation of the day... the "country's foremost forensic lip-reader" was investigated for perjury, with "the cps has decided not to rely on Jessica Rees as a prosecution witness in current or future cases"
    He gives Aarons a very bad name.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    My by-election klaxon must be on the blink.

One third of Peterborough council is up for election next May, if there is a by election, I wonder if Labour will schedule it as the same day as those locals?

Who controls it now? And is control switching a possibility?
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Sean_F said:

notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Doesn't she have to resign then? I thought you couldn't be an MP if convicted, or is there some rule about if it involves a prison sentence or some such?
    You have to resign if you get a sentence of 12 months or longer.
    She can continue to vote until sentenced.
    ydoethur said:

One third of Peterborough council is up for election next May, if there is a by election, I wonder if Labour will schedule it as the same day as those locals?

I think it's the MP's party that moves the writ.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882

Pulpstar said:

CAN, not should or will.

Huhne got 8 months and he fully admitted it. I'd expect more than 12 months.
    What effect would an appeal have?
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

I meant the city council.
  • ydoethur said:

The Blue Meanies control it now.

Currently out of 60 seats they are held by

Con 31, Lab 14, LD 7, Werrington First 3, Ind 2, Green 1, Liberal 1, UKIP 1.

Who on earth do Peterborough residents write to for an MP matter in the next few months ?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

ydoethur said:

The Conservatives regained control of the Council in May, which also lends weight to the view that last year's vote was a vote against Stewart Jackson.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited December 2018
    justin124 said:

Depends on what she appeals.

She could appeal on either the conviction or sentence, or both.

I think the Speaker would follow the precedent he set in the Phil Woolas case.
    edited December 2018
    Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

CAN, not should or will.

The longest possible sentence is three years.

I suppose it depends on how dim a view the judge takes of double perjury and her attempts to throw her brother under a bus to save her career.

But for this I would have thought it would be more like 6-8 months.
  • Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

CAN, not should or will.

He only pleaded guilty at the last moment so only got partial credit for that.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    ydoethur said:

Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

CAN, not should or will.

I suppose it depends on how dim a view the judge takes of double perjury and her attempts to throw her brother under a bus to save her career.
    Dimmer than Andrew Bridgen I should think.
  • Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    Pulpstar said:

Who on earth do Peterborough residents write to for an MP matter in the next few months ?
    Protocol is for the neighbouring MPs to help out.

justin124 said:

Will you stand by Tommy Robinson Phil ?
  • Mr. Eagles, she'll be ceremonially handbagged by Joanna Lumley?

ydoethur said:

So it could flip, but I suppose the bigger danger is that they end with a campaign dominated by 'Labour foisted a forger, liar and criminal on us, do you want to make that mistake again?'
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A by-election in Peterborough must be very likely following this verdict I'd have thought.
    The case does highlight the chance nature of our criminal justice system. Two juries presented with the same evidence have arrived at different conclusions. The element of subjectivity should be an overwhelming argument against capital punishment.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Are there open prisons where you get let out to do a day job, where she could serve her sentence?
  • Pulpstar said:

Same people the residents of NW Leicestershire wrote to between December 2009 and May 2010.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Nigelb said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

I could not care less whether Corbyn said it or not. Even if he did , half the country is likely to agree with him. Now had he called her a 'silly F..... Cow' - that would have been a different matter!

You may not care but the PR for Corbyn is dreadful and the story has more to come
    How do you know it's dreadful?

I agree with Justin. Having just caught up with this story and watched Mrs May's peculiar panto rant, my instant thought was ""stupid woman". I could actually have been ruder. If it had been a man, I would have thought "stupid prick". Then I saw Corbyn mouth something similar and thought "you're right".

I don't know whether the offence is to describe her as stupid or describe her as a woman. PC storm in a teacup brewed up by Corbyn haters.
    The point is surely that it is at complete odds with his right-on PC image ?

If, in the public sphere, you can only refrain from what you yourself would describe as sexism when dealing with people you approve of, then your criticism of your opponents for similar offences looks like rank hypocrisy.

Equally, in Bercow's case, he has a tendency to assert rules of decorum only when it suits him.

(And for the record, I was not impressed in the slightest by May's rather abject performance.)
    The point is as simple as he would not accept a defence if a tory said it, not in a million years. So it matters if he said it. On that score apparently it's ambiguous enough he should be fine.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2018

Labour will look a bit silly if they delay the by-election for as long as that, particularly with Corbyn claiming they could win a general election within weeks if one were called.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    justin124 said:

The case does highlight the chance nature of our criminal justice system. Two juries presented with the same evidence have arrived at different conclusions. The element of subjectivity should be an overwhelming argument against capital punishment.

If we were to have capital punishment, it would surely be limited to cases where there was no doubt whatsoever (Thomas Mair being a good example).

Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

CAN, not should or will.

He only pleaded guilty at the last moment so only got partial credit for that.
    Huhne had cash in the bank I believe and a second job as an energy & climate change consultant (no laughing at the back there). A career with no obligations on being sentenced.
    Onasunya's second career as a solicitor will be torpedoed by this - does she have cash in the bank...
  • rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Are there open prisons where you get let out to do a day job, where she could serve her sentence?
    She'd be in a Cat A/B Prison at the start of her sentence, so no open prison for her at the start, only towards the end of her sentence.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Anorak said:
    Too bad she wasn't an MP at the time of "Calm down dear"
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    justin124 said:

The case does highlight the chance nature of our criminal justice system. Two juries presented with the same evidence have arrived at different conclusions.

My experience in the jury room doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the system, to put it mildly. Wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of that.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,282

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

You may not care but the PR for Corbyn is dreadful and the story has more to come

I agree with Justin. Having just caught up with this story and watched Mrs May's peculiar panto rant, my instant thought was ""stupid woman". I could actually have been ruder. If it had been a man, I would have thought "stupid prick". Then I saw Corbyn mouth something similar and thought "you're right".

I don't know whether the offence is to describe her as stupid or describe her as a woman. PC storm in a teacup brewed up by Corbyn haters.
    I know it is dreadful pr. Just watch the media
    Right wingers smear Corbyn is not only a tired meme but a profitable one for the left TBH, those that haven't figured out that throwing something petty and probably untrue at Corbyn is only likely to reinforce his support need to catch up.

Some already committed Conservatives might feel a little extra buzz but if this kind of nonsense was going to convince swing voters it would have been working for the last 3 years.
    It's amazing how Corbyn fans have changed the meaning o the word "smear" from "unwarranted malicious accusation" to "something there is literally video or photographic evidence for".

Still, I suppose, cults always have their own language.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited December 2018

Mr. Eagles, she'll be ceremonially handbagged by Joanna Lumley?

He let Woolas remain an MP whilst Woolas exhausted the appellate process.
  • It would be handy if we had video of the Corbster saying the words people and woman* in the same sentence for comparison.

You're welcome.

(*actually women.. but the consonants are the same and I don't have all day)

Do we have to watch all 59m 30s?
    No -edited the original shortly afterwards to say it's from about 2.40 (ie shortly after the timecode I linked)
  • TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

So.

This Q & A is quite useful for seeing what exactly would happen:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/contingency-qanda_en.pdf

In case of no deal, the Commission is proposing that "point-to-point" flight connections, i.e. connections from the territory of the United Kingdom to the territory of the EU27, are temporarily allowed on the basis of a unilateral measure. This measure will enter into force in case of no deal, if the United Kingdom reciprocates, and last until 30 March 2020.

If I understand correctly, this may not cover onward flights, though, and intra-EU flights are definitely not covered.
  • Rhubarb said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Bobby Sands. Didn't hold it for long tho'.
    It is still possible though. The RPA(1981) only bars candidates who are in jail serving sentences of 12 months or more i.e. the same criterion that disqualifies an MP if so sentenced. They could still be nominated and elected if serving a shorter term - though presumably only with an understanding electorate.

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    She'd be in a Cat A/B Prison at the start of her sentence, so no open prison for her at the start, only towards the end of her sentence.
    As poor as her behaviour has been, is a cat A/B prison really neccessary ?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

justin124 said:

Has she surrendered her passport ?
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    ydoethur said:

Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

CAN, not should or will.

Solicitor though. That's generally viewed less kindly (and rightly so).
    ydoethur said:

Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

CAN, not should or will.

I thought the longest tariff was life imprisonment?
  • Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    As poor as her behaviour has been, is a cat A/B prison really neccessary ?
    Is the default.

Is where they do all the processing.

Plus most Cat Cs/Ds are far away from the big cities and thus the big courts.
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

I meant the city council.
    I'm dumb, sorry. 31 Con, 30 needed for majority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_City_Council
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Bobby Sands
  • NEW THREAD

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

CAN, not should or will.

I thought the longest tariff was life imprisonment?
    https://www.inbrief.co.uk/offences/perverting-the-course-of-justice/

So yes, in theory, but not in practice.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

So.

This Q & A is quite useful for seeing what exactly would happen:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/contingency-qanda_en.pdf

In case of no deal, the Commission is proposing that "point-to-point" flight connections, i.e. connections from the territory of the United Kingdom to the territory of the EU27, are temporarily allowed on the basis of a unilateral measure. This measure will enter into force in case of no deal, if the United Kingdom reciprocates, and last until 30 March 2020.

If I understand correctly, this may not cover onward flights, though, and intra-EU flights are definitely not covered.
    Thanks.

As I read it, they are imposing an effective shortened transition period. After that, well I suppose they would roll over the terms in all practicality. And it seems very skewed towards the UK being compliant with EU regs.

No issue with the backstop on account of the "all relevant EU legislation on the importation and exportation of goods will apply to goods moving between the EU and the UK" clause.

Do we know what the ERG have said? What about @RichieTyndall, perhaps forthcoming Independent candidate in Peterborough?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Scott_P said:
    Crick makes a very good point there.

And I like the piccie in the bacground of his tweet. Not for the steam locomotive, but for (I think) the superlative Glenfinnan Viaduct it's going over. ;)
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    MJW said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

I know it is dreadful pr. Just watch the media
    Right wingers smear Corbyn is not only a tired meme but a profitable one for the left TBH, those that haven't figured out that throwing something petty and probably untrue at Corbyn is only likely to reinforce his support need to catch up.

Some already committed Conservatives might feel a little extra buzz but if this kind of nonsense was going to convince swing voters it would have been working for the last 3 years.
    It's amazing how Corbyn fans have changed the meaning o the word "smear" from "unwarranted malicious accusation" to "something there is literally video or photographic evidence for".

Still, I suppose, cults always have their own language.
    https://twitter.com/MomentumCV/status/1075393606448484352

That is a smear to, despite there being video evidence for it...

Read the follow up tweet, explains what was actually said.

I realise it doesn't fit into your strange Corbyn is terrible worldview which includes Tommy Robinson apparently being a fan of his but I don't think reality has to take your beliefs into account.
  • blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Oh dear - has Magic Woke Grandpa turned out to be a bit of an unreconstructed fool?
  • Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    Floater said:
    Interesting point in there: the Tory PPC is already in place.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    This is bloody good. https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-pmqs-stupid-woman-theresa-may-brexit-latest-christmas-a8690986.html

Next to Ms Leadsom on the front bench, the Prime Minister’s eyes widened as if she had sat suddenly upon an epipen. Up on his great green throne, the speaker’s world collapsed from under him.

Mr Bercow has a well established taste in loud ties. Never before have they been so singularly outshone by his face. It turned first to pink, then to crimson, then to puce, like a sunset in a nuclear winter.

“I have no need...the honourable lady...four months ago...nothing further on the matter…” This is the verbatim quote, not least as, presumably through sheer embarrassment, his microphone broke too, leaving his desperate prevarications inaudible. That actually happened.

It was a revenge served at a temperature that can only be measured on the Kelvin scale. It was, frankly, immaculate.
This discussion has been closed.