Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though there could be by-election in an ultra marg

Comments

• Options

Fine upstanding Brexiteers tell Anna Soubry she's "on the side of Adolf Hitler".

https://twitter.com/MikeStuchbery_/status/1075448896791474176

Brexitsm has the ugliest underbelly.

It’s like that scene in Mitchell and Webb. When are the Brexiters going to realise that they are the baddies?
    Are all 17 million who voted Leave in that referendum baddies, or are you just some sort of generalising fuckwit?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

AndyJS said:

"The Tories are on the verge of a nervous breakdown

Daniel Finkelstein

The party is so divided on Brexit that it may end up splitting – and losing elections – like it did a hundred years ago"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/tories-on-the-edge-of-a-nervous-breakdown-wzc36rt7f

Theresa should have thought about that before assuming the mantle of “fuck the economy, fuck the union, and fuck the young”.

I don’t know if the Tories will split, but if Labour can replace Corbyn - a big if, of course - they will win the next general election.
    Jeremy has to watch out for MI5/6 poisoned umbrellas or arsenic in his cucumber's!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,261
    PeterC said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Project Fear oh wait.

https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1075440331309502464

Cannot imagine why Gove didn't put this on the side of a bus

Perhaps because he wasn't campaigning for a No Deal Brexit? Just a thought.

Or he is a complete moron.
    'The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.'

Michael Gove 9th of April 2016.

Exactly my point he had no concept of scenario analysis.

So moron it is.
    Hold on a minute the Cabinet, which had Brexiteers in it agreed to the GE as did MPs. I agree the PM is not very good at her job hence 117 MPs from her own party think anybody else would be better than her at the job!
    Well indeed. When the election was called I was very excited. By the time of the vote I was annoyed and upset.

So many avoidable mistakes. Cameron, Osborme and Crosby had won the election previously with a strong focus on the economy. Being faced by literal Marxists who want to "smash capitalism." May had nothing worthwhile to say on the economy and silenced her Cabinet.

But then she had nothing worthwhile to say on anything else either and chickened out of the debates. It was an utterly avoidable disaster and frankly the result she deserved. In 2015 I delivered leaflets for a hard working ultra marginal MP who won his seat against the odds. By 2017 I had moved away so did not again but in an avoidable election he lost thanks in no small part to May's shortcomings.
    The ground game does make a real difference in a marginal seat.

This is where Labour have a huge advantage now, the Labour membership is huge, young and enthusiastic. In terms of volunteers Labour can hit very optimistic targets with bigger numbers than the Conservatives could get to key marginals.
    Wandsworth? Barnet? Westminster?
    Certainly they threw a lot at Barnet. Lots of activists makes it easier to win an election, and can turn a defeat into a victory, but people still have to want to vote for you in the first place.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    PeterC said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Project Fear oh wait.

'The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.'

So moron it is.
    Hold on a minute the Cabinet, which had Brexiteers in it agreed to the GE as did MPs. I agree the PM is not very good at her job hence 117 MPs from her own party think anybody else would be better than her at the job!
    Well indeed. When the election was called I was very excited. By the time of the vote I was annoyed and upset.

So many avoidable mistakes. Cameron, Osborme and Crosby had won the election previously with a strong focus on the economy. Being faced by literal Marxists who want to "smash capitalism." May had nothing worthwhile to say on the economy and silenced her Cabinet.

But then she had nothing worthwhile to say on anything else either and chickened out of the debates. It was an utterly avoidable disaster and frankly the result she deserved. In 2015 I delivered leaflets for a hard working ultra marginal MP who won his seat against the odds. By 2017 I had moved away so did not again but in an avoidable election he lost thanks in no small part to May's shortcomings.

This is where Labour have a huge advantage now, the Labour membership is huge, young and enthusiastic. In terms of volunteers Labour can hit very optimistic targets with bigger numbers than the Conservatives could get to key marginals.
    Wandsworth? Barnet? Westminster?
    Labour won the popular vote in Wandsworth at the LEs
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    He’s from

Fine upstanding Brexiteers tell Anna Soubry she's "on the side of Adolf Hitler".

It’s like that scene in Mitchell and Webb. When are the Brexiters going to realise that they are the baddies?
    Are all 17 million who voted Leave in that referendum baddies, or are you just some sort of generalising fuckwit?
    He’s from New Zealand

Of course he’s a generalising fuckwit
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Incidentally, in all the furore over Brexit this story seems to have been overlooked:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/labour-suspends-top-official-west-15562523

Anti-Semitism is the scandal that isn't going away for Labour, and they need to be careful, politically speaking, that it isn't still running when the press bore of Brexit (hopefully next summer).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

If Channel 4 7 pm news is your only news channel 'Leavers' would shoot themselves and any survivors would be shot by Remainers. They are predicting Armageddon.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Donny43 said:

Life in Tory Britain, where a homeless man can be found dying metres away from the entrance to Parliament. He had a job, but couldn't afford to live in London on what he was earning. He collapsed near the revolving doors into Parliament, a victim of the cold. Died in hospital.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/homeless-man-dies-metres-from-westminster-entrance_uk_5c1a621de4b0432554c6a3b6

I think we should remember this man, when a Tory MP next tells us we have "record numbers of people in employment".

This man was part of those record numbers.

It says "had recently found work", so he may not even have been paid yet. One wonders why he didn't ask his employer to help - or if he did, why they didn't.
    Are there any emmployers who would take someone on 'of no fixed abode'?

I suspect he was either in employment before he became homeless or, perhaps more likely, necessarily lied about his homelessness to get a job.

In any event it's a woeful illustration of the state of this country.
  • Options
    Roger said:

If Channel 4 7 pm news is your only news channel 'Leavers' would shoot themselves and any survivors would be shot by Remainers. They are predicting Armageddon.
    Roger, I'm shocked. I may have to feign outrage at you advocating the execution of innocent people.
  • Options
    Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

...says person generalising about New Zealanders.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Well, there are so few of them.. :D
  • Options

Donny43 said:

Life in Tory Britain, where a homeless man can be found dying metres away from the entrance to Parliament. He had a job, but couldn't afford to live in London on what he was earning. He collapsed near the revolving doors into Parliament, a victim of the cold. Died in hospital.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/homeless-man-dies-metres-from-westminster-entrance_uk_5c1a621de4b0432554c6a3b6

I think we should remember this man, when a Tory MP next tells us we have "record numbers of people in employment".

It says "had recently found work", so he may not even have been paid yet. One wonders why he didn't ask his employer to help - or if he did, why they didn't.

I suspect he was either in employment before he became homeless or, perhaps more likely, necessarily lied about his homelessness to get a job.

That is another very good reason why we need more hostels.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Sorry, who's the New Zealander here ?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Heh. Nice.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,598
    Just back from the local.

Gammon and a couple of Saltaire Blondes.

Enough of the clientèle, what did I have to eat and drink?

I'm here all week...
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

There seems to be something about fascism that causes a greatly increased appetite and a greatly decreased motivation to do exercise.
    ydoethur said:

Mr "Jezziah" Momentum is the nearest political movement to the Nazis we have ever seen in this country. Thuggish, violent and anti-Semitic. I don't really care if you think I am rude. You are either a useful idiot or you actively condone the thugs that support Corbyn, so you are in a much worse moral place than I am. Sorry if you think that is rude you pathetic little snowflake (OK that last bit was rude, but who cares; I am referring to a Corbyn apologist)

While I concede that many of Momentum's members are undoubtedly racist, and thuggish, and indeed violent, I don't think you can credibly say an organisation founded and led by a Jew is anti-Semitic.
    I don't see why that should be a problem, MJW's complaints are based on fantasy anyway, if he wants to imagine Lansman as some rabid anti semite then it is no different to his other delusions.
  • Options

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Sorry, who's the New Zealander here ?
    The one with PM Robert Muldoon as his avatar.
  • Options
    Most read stories on Beeb tonight:

1) Headline includes 'Corbyn' and 'stupid woman.'

2) Banksy

3) Labour MP is criminal

4) EU plan for no deal Brexit.

How on earth did Labour screw this news cycle up? Presented with an open goal and the opposition all in the pavilion, they've shot themselves carefully in both feet and then launched the ball into their own net.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

How on earth did Labour screw this news cycle up? Presented with an open goal and the opposition all in the pavilion, they've shot themselves carefully in both feet and then launched the ball into their own net.

Good god, that's a metaphorical abomination.
  • Options

There seems to be something about fascism that causes a greatly increased appetite and a greatly decreased motivation to do exercise.
    ydoethur said:

Mr "Jezziah" Momentum is the nearest political movement to the Nazis we have ever seen in this country. Thuggish, violent and anti-Semitic. I don't really care if you think I am rude. You are either a useful idiot or you actively condone the thugs that support Corbyn, so you are in a much worse moral place than I am. Sorry if you think that is rude you pathetic little snowflake (OK that last bit was rude, but who cares; I am referring to a Corbyn apologist)

While I concede that many of Momentum's members are undoubtedly racist, and thuggish, and indeed violent, I don't think you can credibly say an organisation founded and led by a Jew is anti-Semitic.
    I don't see why that should be a problem, MJW's complaints are based on fantasy anyway, if he wants to imagine Lansman as some rabid anti semite then it is no different to his other delusions.
    Many years ago I read an article by the late David Cesarani claiming that Jewish politician Edwin Montagu was an anti-Semite. His crime was apparently to offer some practical criticism of the Balfour declaration and to be friends with hard-right and highly controversial Home Secretary Joynson-Hicks. And that was a professor of History at RHUL. So such mad claims do exist.

However, that said, Labour does have a serious problem with anti-Semitism that it is far too complacent about.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally, in all the furore over Brexit this story seems to have been overlooked:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/labour-suspends-top-official-west-15562523

Anti-Semitism is the scandal that isn't going away for Labour, and they need to be careful, politically speaking, that it isn't still running when the press bore of Brexit (hopefully next summer).

I think the media has pretty much done the damage it is going to do there already. I imagine if the media started running them heavily again barely anybody would change their mind just reinforce their current beliefs. From a partisan POV might be better for them to go for that than something more effective.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Donny43 said:

+1 Agreed.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

I’m someone watching the country disintegrate while bullies threaten Members of Parliament. What about you?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Good god, that's a metaphorical abomination.
    Trust you to put the boot in... :smile:
  • Options
    Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Good god, that a metaphorical abomination.
    "Stubbed the ball into the net with their bloodied stumps" would have been more accurate.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2018

I'm here all week...

Any pineapples?
  • Options
    Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

I presume this is only “joke” racism, Charles?
  • Options

I’m someone watching the country disintegrate while bullies threaten Members of Parliament. What about you?
    I'm a bloke on the internet laughing at another bloke on the internet. What about you?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Well, there are so few of them.. :D
    4.7m Quite a few.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    ydoethur said:

Over many, many years - arguably (unbelievably) since the closure of workhouses in 1948 - one of the big shortcomings of our national housing policy is the total lack of temporary hostel accommodation for the homeless - especially the vulnerable homeless (e.g. people fleeing domestic violence). I don't see however any sign that any party is making a meaningful move to solve that.
    There are homeless shelters and hostels run by the likes of Crisis but we need more of them.

Some sensible things that have happened under this government are councils now have a duty to try and house singles and the government has imposed a levy on absentee property owners in London to fund rough sleeper initiatives
  • Options

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

On a point of pedantry - it's actually xenophobia.

I was disappointed your guys couldn't get past Mathews in the Test, by the way. Also sad that an honorary Bristol boy like Kane Williamson (who captained Gloucestershire at 20 and was clearly a special talent even then) couldn't quite take the record. But that can't be far off.

I'll admit though that my more intense disappointment was reserved for Australia's win at Perth.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
  • Options

I'm here all week...

Any pineapples?
    I had the choice of pineapple, egg or both. I chose both!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Over many, many years - arguably (unbelievably) since the closure of workhouses in 1948 - one of the big shortcomings of our national housing policy is the total lack of temporary hostel accommodation for the homeless - especially the vulnerable homeless (e.g. people fleeing domestic violence). I don't see however any sign that any party is making a meaningful move to solve that.
    There are homeless shelters and hostels run by the likes of Crisis but we need more of them.

Some sensible things that have happened under this government are councils now have a duty to try and house singles and the government has imposed a levy on absentee property owners in London to fund rough sleeper initiatives
    But they remain inadequate.

Moreover, statutory duties are all well and good but they need funding. And one area that has been savagely cut is local government funding.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    Sean_F said:

WRT sentencing, there are three aggravating factors (abuse of a position of trust, absence of contrition, failure to co-operate with the authorities) and no mitigating factors that I can think of.

Plus being a solicitor. She abused that position of trust as well as that of being an MP.

What a nitwit.
  • Options

I'm here all week...

Any pineapples?
    I had the choice of pineapple, egg or both. I chose both!
    Just so long as it was a gammon steak and not pizza.

Otherwise serious measures will have to be taken to preserve the integrity of PB.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

WRT sentencing, there are three aggravating factors (abuse of a position of trust, absence of contrition, failure to co-operate with the authorities) and no mitigating factors that I can think of.

Plus being a solicitor. She abused that position of trust as well as that of being an MP.

What a nitwit.
    And she has lost literally everything trying to avoid a £60 fine.

Madness.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

I was disappointed your guys couldn't get past Mathews in the Test, by the way. Also sad that an honorary Bristol boy like Kane Williamson (who captained Gloucestershire at 20 and was clearly a special talent even then) couldn't quite take the record. But that can't be far off.

I'll admit though that my more intense disappointment was reserved for Australia's win at Perth.
    Fair dos.

I admit I haven’t followed the cricket since the Vettori era, but I note we are decently ranked these days.

I’m afraid I fail the Tebbit test, so I’m expecting to be stuffed in an orange vest and deported when the Brexit Rapture finally happens.
  • Options

OllyT said:

kle4 said:

Labour have contrived to have a week of car crashes with a botched vnoc, Corbyn squirming on whether he did or did not say stupid woman to the PM, and one of their mps found guilty of perverting the course of justice

I don't doubt Labour are in trouble, however I watched PMQ's live and felt embarrassed by PM May doing the pantomime oration and the craven response behind her.

l watched PMQ's live and I thought at the time Corbyn muttered "stupid people" as the behaviour of the PM and her backbenchers was childish and embarrassing. Given the state of affairs this country faces as a direct result of the PM's judgements I do not think this bodes well. I say this as someone who does not view Corbyn in a good light, I think he is extreme and presents even more dangers for the country.
    PMQs is full of stupid posturing and lame jokes on all sides at all times, and doesn't really reflect the merits or not of either side. So that May might have made a stupid crack is neither here nor there really. I don't think Corbyns alleged words matter much though, especially as he's provided an explanation enough for supporters (And even some non supporters).
    #StupidPeople trending on twitter now...

In an amazing turn around making up some rubbish to smear Corbyn with was counterproductive. In fairness to the Conservatives only a strategic genius or someone with the power to see into the future could have predicted that this would go the same way other silly little smears have gone for over 3 years....
    Sadly you don't have to make stuff up to smear Corbyn, you just have look into his past. His election as leader and his duplicitous attitude to Brexit has proved a disaster for Labour and I say that as someone who was a member up to a couple of years ago.
    Yes his bringing the Labour party back to a realistic shot of winning was terrible...

If Corbyn had gone the 2nd referendum route the Tories would have won a majority and done what they wanted with Brexit. It is all well and good to complain about what he's done but without him Labour wouldn't have this power to effect Brexit anyway.
    A large part of LAB's surprise result at GE2017 came from anti-Brexit tactical voters like me switching to LAB because we thought it was the best option.

Never again my friend.

But The Labour manifesto promised to implement Brexit in 2017 Mike. Why vote for that if you are anti Brexit?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Fair dos.

I admit I haven’t followed the cricket since the Vettori era, but I note we are decently ranked these days.

I’m afraid I fail the Tebbit test, so I’m expecting to be stuffed in an orange vest and deported when the Brexit Rapture finally happens.
    No, mate, we'll need slave labour to pick our cabbages and wipe our old people's arses. We ain't letting you out.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Fair dos.

I support three Test teams.

First loyalty, even as a Welshman, is to England.

Second is to New Zealand, as my grandfather was in 2nd New Zealand Division in the war, and also, as a Gloucestershire boy, I saw some great New Zealand players including KW turn out for us.

The third - is whoever is playing Australia.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.
    Did you mean stupid woman?
  • Options

I'm a bloke on the internet laughing at another bloke on the internet. What about you?

I’m not laughing. Like the rest of the Remainers in my bubble, I’m watching the country commit seppuku and recalibrating where I expect to pay taxes in the future.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.

Madness.
    Utter madness. And I hope she gets a sentence that reflects how far she has fallen.

A law-maker and legal professional needs to be held to higher standards. An example has to be made that no-one is above the law.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

I would have thought ascribing a disagreeable trait to every member of a nation, and on the basis they were from that nation, strayed well into racism.

For example, if I said about some stupidity "ooh that's a bit Irish", I'd surely be guilty of racism.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is North Hampshire -> Basingstoke -> Aldershot the most consistently Tory (Or seat for any party) constituency in the country, being a gain from the Whigs in 1857 ?

Basingstoke was held by the DUP for a while in the. Noughties
  • Options

I’m not laughing. Like the rest of the Remainers in my bubble, I’m watching the country commit seppuku and recalibrating where I expect to pay taxes in the future.
    That's the problem right there. far to many bubbles.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

I would have thought ascribing a disagreeable trait to every member of a nation, and on the basis they were from that nation, strayed well into racism.

For example, if I said about some stupidity "ooh that's a bit Irish", I'd surely be guilty of racism.
    No, because the Irish are the same race. (Yes, I know almost every country is multiracial.) So it's xenophobia - dislike of foreigners.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Fair dos.

Second is to New Zealand, as my grandfather was in 2nd New Zealand Division in the war, and also, as a Gloucestershire boy, I saw some great New Zealand players including KW turn out for us.

We are quite similar, then.

Swap NZ with England for first and second place. And add “South Africa” as preferred opponent in third.

Probably I would support North Korea against South Africa in an ODI.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

No, because the Irish are the same race. (Yes, I know almost every country is multiracial.) So it's xenophobia - dislike of foreigners.
    So the Irish can be considered a race but Kiwis cannot?
  • Options
    edited December 2018

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Fair dos.

Swap NZ with England for first and second place. And add “South Africa” as preferred opponent in third.

I'd support North Korea against England.

Not out of patriotism. Just because of the likely consequences for the NK team if they lost.

But fortunately they're not big on cricket so it isn't a problem.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Is North Hampshire -> Basingstoke -> Aldershot the most consistently Tory (Or seat for any party) constituency in the country, being a gain from the Whigs in 1857 ?

Basingstoke was held by the DUP for a while in the. Noughties
    Great quiz question there.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Probably I agree with @ydoethur, NZers are not a race. Strictly speaking, my race is best defined as Pakeha - NZ European.

Charles is still a twat though.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.

Madness.
    Utter madness. And I hope she gets a sentence that reflects how far she has fallen.

A law-maker and legal professional needs to be held to higher standards. An example has to be made that no-one is above the law.
    She deserves to be sent down purely for that shades and ear muffs combo.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Huh? That makes no sense.

Have you misunderstood me? Or are you not the same race as the Irish?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Probably I agree with @ydoethur, NZers are not a race. Strictly speaking, my race is best defined as Pakeha - NZ European.

He can't really help it though, it's all that inbreeding. :wink:
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    ydoethur said:

Donny43 said:

Absolutely. The charity shelters that we have are great - and there's one less than 5 minutes from where this man worked - but they only scratch the surface.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

The country isn't disintegrating. Don't be do melodramatic.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

He is saying WE (British) are the same race as the Irish, so insulting the Irish is xenophobia. Same for Kiwi's, it is xenophobia.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Fair dos.

I'd support North Korea against England.

Not out of patriotism. Just because of the likely consequences for the NK team if they lost.
    I'm English. I support any team that plays in any sport against the Scots or the Welsh, but support the Irish as my second team .Except in football where Iceland are my faves and I support anyone against England as long as it's not the Scots, Welsh or France. It's complicated.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

I have clearly misunderstood you.

Am I to take it then that you do not see generalised, unfounded slurs against 'the Irish' as racist?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

He can't really help it though, it's all that inbreeding. :wink:
    He has no consanguinity actually - checked it at the peerage website
  • Options

I'm English. I support any team that plays in any sport against the Scots or the Welsh, but support the Irish as my second team .Except in football where Iceland are my faves and I support anyone against England as long as it's not the Scots, Welsh or France. It's complicated.

We had some good Irish players for Glos as well. I saw Porterfield score 175 at Cheltenham. And we had Kevin O'Brien for hit and giggle for a couple of seasons. I was pleased they got Test status but I worry they won't maintain it effectively now their senior pros are retiring.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Am I to take it then that you do not see generalised, unfounded slurs against 'the Irish' as racist?
    Not when they're from other nationalities of the same race, no. I see them as xenophobic.

Just as I see generalised slurs against my own people by the English as xenophobic, not racist.
  • Options
    OortOort Posts: 96
    Nigel Farage has told HuffPo he won't be standing in Peterborough. "Who would I stand for?" he asks. Well he may not be a member of a political party now but he could set one up or he could stand as an independent is the obvious answer. But perhaps he has run for so many seats and lost (seven) that he doesn't want to do it again. Then again he's only 54.

Nick Robinson wrote this piece about the city (ramping a film) in 2013.

"Britain has changed and nowhere more so than in Peterborough. In the past decade 24,000 immigrants moved into this city. That is more than one in eight of the population."

Similar to London in that respect, then.

"More than a fifth of all people who live (in Peterborough) were born outside the UK, according to the latest census."

"One school recently revealed that none of its pupils spoke English as a first language. In Peterborough 10% of households have no-one at home who speaks English.

The EDL have marched in the city on several occasions.

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Generalised slurs against the English on here (racist, xenophobic etc.) seem fine, so I guess it's ok all round?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.

Madness.
    True , hard to understand her thinking.

£60 fine , plus 3 points on your licence, or a speed awareness course , if you have not had one before.
    Was she anywhere near loosing her licence ?
    Because of previous points.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

If the Tories don’t win back Peterborough, they are going to get steamrollered in the next general election.

Managing Expectations...
  • Options

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Slow clap for @Benpointer
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Not when they're from other nationalities of the same race, no. I see them as xenophobic.

Just as I see generalised slurs against my own people by the English as xenophobic, not racist.
    Ok fair enough.

I am sure we can agree that all sweeping generalisations are a bad thing! :wink:
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.

Madness.

£60 fine , plus 3 points on your licence, or a speed awareness course , if you have not had one before.
    If I read the evidence correctly - which I may not be - she lied on both occasions she was caught speeding. So technically she kept a clean licence. Which makes her conduct still more baffling.

Now I cannot honestly say I've never broken the speed limit and I'm sure you will tell me that's true of every driver. I've been lucky in that so far I've never been caught. But I hope that if (when) I am caught I will see a slap on the wrist and a small fine that will not stop me driving as preferable to a long prison sentence that would destroy my career.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Ok fair enough.

I am sure we can agree that all sweeping generalisations are a bad thing! :wink:
    Your coat sir...!

Edit - I have of course made a sweeping generalisation about all drivers above...but is there anyone here can say it's wrong?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Ok fair enough.

Your coat sir...!
    At your service!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

Stewart Jackson poss back.. That will liven things up a bit, esp for an ex contributor to these pages. A twitter account will go nuts!

Don't the Tories already have a candidate?
    Yes the Tories do have a candidate.

I don't think Jackson is going to run as an independent as he would get very few votes. He is not a people person by all accounts!
    Did he go for it and wasn't reselected, or has he just moved on to other things? I remember him as noit very popular on PB, though I'm not sure why in particular.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.

Madness.

If I read the evidence correctly - which I may not be - she lied on both occasions she was caught speeding. So technically she kept a clean licence. Which makes her conduct still more baffling.

Now I cannot honestly say I've never broken the speed limit and I'm sure you will tell me that's true of every driver. I've been lucky in that so far I've never been caught. But I hope that if (when) I am caught I will see a slap on the wrist and a small fine that will not stop me driving as preferable to a long prison sentence that would destroy my career.
    Indeed. Totally. Utterly. Baffling.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

and homelessnes is at about its eighth lowest since we started making record forty years ago. It's lower than every year under the last government except the last two.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Ok fair enough.

Your coat sir...!

Edit - I have of course made a sweeping generalisation about all drivers above...but is there anyone here can say it's wrong?
    We have all made sweeping generalisations!

PS Was there ever a generalisation that wasn't sweeping?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Stewart Jackson poss back.. That will liven things up a bit, esp for an ex contributor to these pages. A twitter account will go nuts!

I don't think Jackson is going to run as an independent as he would get very few votes. He is not a people person by all accounts!
    Did he go for it and wasn't reselected, or has he just moved on to other things? I remember him as noit very popular on PB, though I'm not sure why in particular.
    If I recall correctly, and not to put too fine a point on the matter, I think the main objection was that he was an egregious aresehole.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.

Madness.

Indeed. Totally. Utterly. Baffling.
    She clearly thought she would never be caught or challenged, because of who she was. But to put it mildly that was foolish. Precisely because she was high profile she would attract more attention.

Put it this way, if this is a sample of her approach I'm glad she wasn't my solicitor. Mine is very meticulous and plays it absolutely by the book - which is what I look for in a solicitor.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.

Madness.
    Perhaps it was more initial panic, then one thing led to another, deeper & deeper.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If I recall correctly, and not to put too fine a point on the matter, I think the main objection was that he was an egregious aresehole.
    I was thinking the opposite - that he was a total knobstick.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

Generalised slurs against the English on here (racist, xenophobic etc.) seem fine, so I guess it's ok all round?
    I can't say I've noticed much of that. Note an English person saying 'little Englanders' is not xenophobic. Also not sure if you were hinting at it but gammon is not racist.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

But how was that ever a barrier to him being a Tory candidate?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    edited December 2018

Ooh me please me please.

Yes. They are all baddies.

Not all of them realise it though. So I understand your confusion.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    AnneJGP said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.

Madness.
    Perhaps it was more initial panic, then one thing led to another, deeper & deeper.

Good evening, everyone.
    Not Status Quo lyrics again?!

PS Good evening to you too! :smile:
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Project Fear oh wait.

So moron it is.

its very urban focussed and its' not that motivated. The people going out are the same old hands who have always gone out and a few newbies. The membership on paper bears no relationship to the people who come out to help.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

The country isn't disintegrating. Don't be do melodramatic.
    I’m fed up with Brexiters pissing on my leg and telling me it’s raining.

The country is in a state of political and cultural enervation unknown in a generation.

We are openly talking about about the likelihood of independence for Scotland *and* Irish unification, and I note that in the case of a kamikaze (aka No Deal) Brexit all bets on Gibraltar are off.

I’m happy to use the disintegration metaphor.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

A good example of rhetoric so OTT that it ceases to be offensive and just becomes funny. But SeanT does it better.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This is an urban problem were population growth has outstripped supply. My own area has in the last eight years had a purpose built 'family and children emergency' accommodation and a totally refurbished male shelter.

Our rough sleeper count was zero, as it is for a great many areas across the country.
  • Options

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Nothing to do with your race - that’s the only distinguishing feature I know about you. I could have equally said “North Londoner”

It was meant to be an obvious generalisation about obviously generalising.

But I forgot you were a humourless fuckwit. For the avoidance of doubt, that’s just you and has nothing to do with your race, colour, religion or sexual preferences
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Just out of interest: Livingstone and Corbyn... but who are the other two?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,224

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.

Madness.

Chris Huhne got 8 months for a guilty plea. She has got to be facing at least a year, possibly a bit more.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

How can I put this?

Irish jokes were funny - when told by Dave Allen or Dermot Morgan.

Welsh jokes are funny - when I tell them.

If an Englishman makes remarks about the English - that's OK.

And most people on these boards are English.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What a nitwit.

Madness.

Chris Huhne got 8 months for a guilty plea. She has got to be facing at least a year, possibly a bit more.
    Don't be sure. A year and she will almost certainly appeal. The judge will not want that. A lower sentence might come into play for that reason.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Did things like this not happen between 1997 and 2010?
    They happened a lot more, homelessness was much higher then.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

He’s from

He’s from New Zealand

Nothing to do with your race - that’s the only distinguishing feature I know about you. I could have equally said “North Londoner”

It was meant to be an obvious generalisation about obviously generalising.

But I forgot you were a humourless fuckwit. For the avoidance of doubt, that’s just you and has nothing to do with your race, colour, religion or sexual preferences
    I think we all know it was a joke... don't slip into full-on Streisand mode. :wink:
  • Options
    notme2 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Project Fear oh wait.

its very urban focussed and its' not that motivated. The people going out are the same old hands who have always gone out and a few newbies. The membership on paper bears no relationship to the people who come out to help.
    That bears little to no relation to what happened. Previously dead constituencies sprung to life. Some constituencies ballooned to massive membership numbers and even most of the biggest critics of Corbyn and momentum after the election came out and praised them and the other new young members work for helping produce the result.

You had individual constituency campaigns getting more volunteers coming in than they knew what to do with.
This discussion has been closed.