Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Which will happen first? TMay to step down as PM or the UK to

Comments

• Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

So why Gatwick? Why not Heathrow, or both?

Lots of countryside around Gatwick to do the recovery and recharging without being spotted. This has got to be a deliberate protest; whoever it was ran it throughout the night and today is the busiest travelling day for the Xmas getaway

It will be environmentalists stopping emissions.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited December 2018
    Leaving aside the relevance of the comparison, I'm unclear which court she believes Moses was found guilty by.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Lots of countryside around Gatwick to do the recovery and recharging without being spotted. This has got to be a deliberate protest; whoever it was ran it throughout the night and today is the busiest travelling day for the Xmas getaway

This is clearly going to happen again now its been so succesful isn’t it?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994
    Depending on the weather I think shooting a drone down is actually quite hard. Birdshot is only good out to about 35-40m so you probably want something like a .22LR.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

One can't deny it's been extremely effective, seem to have been no contingency plans for it whatsoever.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

I hope it becomes a nationwide craze like Pokemon Go.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Or it could be a trial run for something more sinister. Airplanes grounded. The police diverted looking for the drone operator. Meanwhile, hundreds, thousands of people are trapped inside an airport and anyone can just turn up and ..... well, use your imagination.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Every day she doesn't resign is another £150 odd in the bank..
    Quite so - at the very least she won't want to resign today. Labour must be furious (see leak source!), though I note that Nick Brown gave evidence for her as a character witness.

But in a message sent to other Labour MPs on various WhatsApp groups this morning and leaked to The Times, Ms Onasanya hinted she would not quit, saying “this was not his end but rather the beginning of the next chapter” of her “story”, as it was with Jesus.
    When's the sentencing?
  • Options
    What on earth has it got to do with him?
  • Options
    Daniel might be able to explain to Ms Onasanya that the writing is on the wall.

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Or it could be a trial run for something more sinister. Airplanes grounded. The police diverted looking for the drone operator. Meanwhile, hundreds, thousands of people are trapped inside an airport and anyone can just turn up and ..... well, use your imagination.
    Err...why would you need a trial run? I hope you are not the only one with such a thought.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It was his idea in the first place. Dugin's Osnovy geopolitiki is his fucking koran.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited December 2018

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

I would be very surprised if the police aren't keeping a very close eye on Extinction Rebellion.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    I suppose this thing at Gatwick it's a bit like Die Hard 2 (without the fake snow) - is that a Christmas movie?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Quite so - at the very least she won't want to resign today. Labour must be furious (see leak source!), though I note that Nick Brown gave evidence for her as a character witness.

But in a message sent to other Labour MPs on various WhatsApp groups this morning and leaked to The Times, Ms Onasanya hinted she would not quit, saying “this was not his end but rather the beginning of the next chapter” of her “story”, as it was with Jesus.
    When's the sentencing?
    There's been no date set yet. Perhaps we could have an Onasanya advent calendar when the judge obliges us.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

If it doesn't happen he'll be wanting a refund?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

When's the sentencing?
    There's been no date set yet. Perhaps we could have an Onasanya advent calendar when the judge obliges us.
    If the judge has a sense of humour they'll give her an 11 month stretch.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Pulpstar said:

I suppose there is the answer to my question if she would own up now the trial is done
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,772
    RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

Kinda amazing that 1 drone can shut down Gatwick for what, 12 hours?

Yes, they are not that sturdy - the police could just send their own drones in the air to knock it out the sky. Or use a trained bird of prey. This stuff really isn't tough.
    I can assure you it's not that simple.

Drone technology has come on a long way. They are bigger, strong, can fly further and higher, and faster. They are now capable of disrupting flights before it is possible to intervene.

I don't know the specifics at Gatwick but all UK airports are now spending millions of pounds to try and keep up.
    Phalanx CIWS on the M23 exit for the airport.
    What is Phalanx CIWS ?
    A gatling cannon - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS
    20 calibre rounds at 50/second and a 2.2 mile range, if fired at low trajectory say in the direction of the M4/M25, could make rush hour interesting!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Err...why would you need a trial run? I hope you are not the only one with such a thought.
    So do I. But I am assuming those with sinister intentions do some form of reconnaissance and planning.

Anyway it doesn’t bear thinking about.

In more joyful news I have just been given as a Xmas surprise tickets to the Olympia Horse Show this evening so I shall be quaffing champagne and watching horse dancing and jumping and there is some stuff going on with dogs too. Sounds wonderful! I am a sucker for horse shows and agricultural shows and stuff like that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Cyclefree said:

He loves to have fun is all.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Seems like he's entitled to his opinion, he paid for the campaign...
  • Options
    Of course, the space cannon could've easily taken out the drone by now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I suppose there is the answer to my question if she would own up now the trial is done
    She clearly hasn’t got the message. It’s Jeremy who’s the Messiah not her.
  • Options
    Latest from the BoE:

These uncertainties are weighing on UK financial markets. UK bank funding costs and non-financial high-yield corporate bond spreads have risen sharply and by more than in other advanced economies. UK-focused equity prices have fallen materially. Sterling has depreciated further, and its volatility has risen substantially. Market-based indicators of inflation expectations in the United Kingdom have risen, including at longer horizons.

The further intensification of Brexit uncertainties, coupled with the slowing global economy, has also weighed on the near-term outlook for UK growth. Business investment has fallen for each of the past three quarters and is likely to remain weak in the near term. The housing market has remained subdued. Indicators of household consumption have generally been more resilient, although retail spending may be slowing.
  • Options
    Gatwick now closed unti 4pm earliest
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

When's the sentencing?
    If the judge has a sense of humour they'll give her an 11 month stretch.
    Day release to vote with St Jeremy.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited December 2018
    An interesting Skydata poll in relation to the Welsh Assembly_
    National Assembly Regional Ballot

Lab 39
    Con 23
    PC 22
    AA 7
    UKIP 4
    LD 2
    Others 3

7-14 Dec, 1,014 people online

AA is the Abolish the Assembly group. On those figures they will gain representation next time. Were I still a resident , I would certainly support them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Dura_Ace said:

Cyclefree said:

It was his idea in the first place. Dugin's Osnovy geopolitiki is his fucking koran.
    I saw one of Putin's MPs on Russian TV the other week saying that Russia was the only country holding out against a unipolar world controlled by America. I'm not sure their worldview is ready for China becoming a superpower.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Once May’s deal is defeated, she can’t possibly stay and no one in the Tory Party would want her to. She would face a proper VNOC from Labour then, which she’d probably win but she would then be the news rather than policy which would be a massive distraction.

With Labour currently on the back foot after Corbyn’s mad moment yesterday, and idiotic attempt at a VNOC which made the Keystone Cops look competent, she’d after to make way. She won’t be missed.

As for Brexit, it might not happen at all. The chances of no deal or no Brexit must be about neck and neck.

You do not talk for the conservative party as a whole. Indeed are you even a voting member

Furthermore, if the deal fails the DUP will not support a vnoc

As far as the future outcome we cannot look past the meaningful vote and the order the amendments are taken and whether any will have majority support

TM will stand down in due course but right now she is an asset to the party and has a great amount of support in the country, compared to any of the alternatives
    You don’t speak for the Tory Party either. Like me, you don’t speak for anyone but yourself but that is what the comments are for isn’t it - expressing individual opinions. As such, your high and mighty tone is both misplaced and risible frankly.

The meaningful vote is meaningless. May’s deal won’t pass with the backstop and the backstop isn’t going to change. She pulled the vote for a reason.

Once her deal is defeated, thoughts will turn to the inevitable leadership contest and the next general election. Whatever is left of her shattered authority and and power will ebb away and she’ll be gone. She’s been a total disaster and a worse Tory PM than either Eden or Heath which is really plumbing the depths.
    BigG speaks sense on this unlike your fanaticism.

May has got a Deal which is more than most would have and got 42% in 2017
    May got a deal because she meekly conceded every point the EU demanded. 42% is pretty meaningless when you lose a 20% lead in the polls and your majority in a snap election you call and are saved from losing office by a Scottishrevival you have nothing to do with. Still, facts are not your strong suit are they.
    I am not convinced the PM would have a deal that right now still stands some chance of being the resolution if that person had instead been Leadsom, or Boris, or Davis....
    We have to deal with reality, not counterfactual speculation.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,213
    Cyclefree said:

Well, he quite likely paid for it...
  • Options
    edited December 2018

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Once May’s deal is defeated, she can’t possibly stay and no one in the Tory Party would want her to. She would .

With Labour currently on the back foot after Corbyn’s mad moment yesterday, and idiotic attempt at a VNOC which made the Keystone Cops look competent, she’d after to make way. She won’t be missed.

As for Brexit, it might not happen at all. The chances of no deal or no Brexit must be about neck and neck.

You do not talk for the conservative party as a whole. Indeed are you even a voting member

As far as the future outcome we cannot look past the meaningful vote and the order the amendments are taken and whether any will have majority support

TM will stand down in due course but right now she is an asset to the party and has a great amount of support in the country, compared to any of the alternatives
    You don’t speak for the Tory Party either. Like me, you don’t speak for anyone but yourself but that is what the comments are for isn’t it - expressing individual opinions. As such, your high and mighty tone is both misplaced and risible frankly.

The meaningful vote is meaningless. May’s deal won’t pass with the backstop and the backstop isn’t going to change. She pulled the vote for a reason.

Once her deal is defeated, thoughts will turn to the inevitable leadership contest and the next general election. Whatever is left of her shattered authority and and power will ebb away and she’ll be gone. She’s been a total disaster and a worse Tory PM than either Eden or Heath which is really plumbing the depths.
    BigG speaks sense on this

May got a deal because she meekly conceded every point the EU demanded. 42% is pretty meaningless when you lose a 20% lead in the polls and your majority in a snap election you call and are saved from losing office by a Scottishrevival you have nothing to do with. Still, facts are not your strong suit are they.
    I am not convinced the PM would have a deal that right now still stands some chance of being the resolution if that person had instead been Leadsom, or Boris, or Davis....
    The reality is that she has done better than anyone else would have, imo. Which is not to say she has handled it brilliantly; a more colleagiate approach from the outset might have increased her chances of getting the deal through. But the challenge was near impossible to start with.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,831
    Endillion said:

Leaving aside the relevance of the comparison, I'm unclear which court she believes Moses was found guilty by.
    As far as I know, none of them perverted the course of justice.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Dura_Ace said:

Cyclefree said:

I saw one of Putin's MPs on Russian TV the other week saying that Russia was the only country holding out against a unipolar world controlled by America. I'm not sure their worldview is ready for China becoming a superpower.
    With all those lovely natural resources in Russian far east you would have thought they would realise where the greater strategic threat comes from.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

She clearly hasn’t got the message. It’s Jeremy who’s the Messiah not her.
    She is just a silly woman.....

Tm Jezbollah
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't want to be her counsel trying mitigate after that. Is she raving mad?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Once May’s deal is defeated, she can’t possibly stay and no one in the Tory Party would want her to. She would face a proper VNOC from Labour then, which she’d probably win but she would then be the news rather than policy which would be a massive distraction.

The reality is that she has done better than anyone else would have, imo.
    That’s your opinion. Nothing to do with reality.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't want to be her counsel trying mitigate after that. Is she raving mad?
    What is there to say, when your client has revealed herself to be an unrepentant serial liar?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Does your second sentence not give some indication on direction of travel for the first?
  • Options

Of course, the space cannon could've easily taken out the drone by now.

And half of Crawley. Whether that is a bonus or a cost I leave to the reader.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I suppose this thing at Gatwick it's a bit like Die Hard 2 (without the fake snow) - is that a Christmas movie?

Time for a remake. The Brexit Britain drone version.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    That bondholders aren't very confident about the company's future and have been heavily selling

Edit/ and that if you are confident about Debenhams then their bonds are an early new year bargain
  • Options

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Or a couple of bored Sussex stoners getting off on leading the news for 18 hours while they do nothing more than lurk by a lock-up with a remote controller.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    IanB2 said:

Gatwick now closed unti 4pm earliest

Just as it is getting dark. What could go wrong...
  • Options
    In her defence she can cite that the first jury didn’t find her guilty*.

She’s fully justified in exhausting the appellate procedures.

*To an appropriate standard.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Or a couple of bored Sussex stoners getting off on leading the news for 18 hours while they do nothing more than lurk by a lock-up with a remote controller.
    "Punks stealing luggage."
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    TBC, this a resumption of the programmed business from a few weeks ago. Five days of business were programmed, only three were ordered. So there's two days of debate remaining, including disposing of whatever amendments Mr Speaker selects.

Since this a continuation of the previous business, the Grieve Amendment remains in effect. Which is to say, when MPs reject the Meaningful Vote is when Parliament gets to take control of the process.
  • Options
    Bonds are redeemable at 100.

Therefore if you buy them at <100, that is one part of your return.

Lower prices = higher return = implies higher risk.

They will also pay interest, but the assumption of the tweet is that in the interest is the same.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Exodus 2:11-15 - I'll give her that one, allowing for the judicial standards of the time.

NB he was guilty.
  • Options
    In English? The markets believe that Debenhams is only weeks away from collapse.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

What is there to say, when your client has revealed herself to be an unrepentant serial liar?

"Why the hell did we let this go to trial?"
  • Options
    Would the fact that the first jury did not convict her be likely to have an impact on sentencing?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Cyclefree said:

Doesn't want all that social media effort put to waste.
  • Options
    I’m flexible and open to new positions.

https://twitter.com/mistaoowl/status/1074317613705113601?s=21
  • Options

Endillion said:

Exodus 2:11-15 - I'll give her that one, allowing for the judicial standards of the time.

NB he was guilty.
    Hmm. Maybe if she'd said "by the judicial processes of their day", but "by the courts" is stretching it a bit...
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Would the fact that the first jury did not convict her be likely to have an impact on sentencing?

Depends how close it was.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    justin124 said:

No - but it might impact her appeal.

• Options
    justin124 said:

A mistrial is neither a conviction nor acquittal, so doesn't tell you much. Especially as they won't have been party to the Jury's deliberations.
  • Options

justin124 said:

As much as anything the case does highlight the arbitrary 'luck of the draw' nature of justice. A third jury might have acquitted her.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

As much as anything the case does highlight the arbitrary 'luck of the draw' nature of justice. A third jury might have acquitted her.
    Nah. If I recall correctly an overwhelming majority of the first jury voted to convict.

She got lucky that one juror fell ill and the threshold to convict effectively increased.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Why?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    An interesting comparison.
    Though the Don is more of an overweight, lumbering kind of dinosaur.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/20/oh-no-the-day-trump-learned-to-tweet-1070789
    "The moment I found out Trump could tweet himself was comparable to the moment in ‘Jurassic Park’ when Dr. Grant realized that velociraptors could open doors,” recalled McConney, who was the Trump Organization’s director of social media from 2011 to 2017. “I was like, ‘Oh no.”"...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited December 2018
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Was it a hung jury? You only need three of the twelve jurors to not go with the majority decision.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Nah. If I recall correctly an overwhelming majority of the first jury voted to convict.

She got lucky that one juror fell ill and the threshold to convict effectively increased.
    I wasn't aware that such information was divulged.
  • Options
    I'm not saying Brexit is making everyone lose their minds, but:

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1075740230223847424
  • Options

justin124 said:

Why?
    See my post at 1.12pm
  • Options

justin124 said:

Why?
    See my post at 1.12pm
    I mean, why would there be a difference in sentence (except for time served, although I doubt she was on remand) between this conviction and if the first jury had convicted?
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Surely that information is known only to the jury?
  • Options
    Surely jury deliberations are meant to remain secret and anyone revealing details would be liable to prosecution?
  • Options

justin124 said:

Why?
    See my post at 1.12pm
    I mean, why would there be a difference in sentence (except for time served, although I doubt she was on remand) between this conviction and if the first jury had convicted?
    Because she didn’t plead guilty at the earliest opportunity which resulted in two costly trials.

She ain’t getting a discount for that.
  • Options
    Kuenssberg was saying last night that May has got Olly Robbins working another magic unicorn to get the DUP onside which shows us several things.

1) Olly Robbins is a wonderful beneficiary of white male privilege. Every time he's fucked up, May has rewarded him with failing upwards.

2) Theresa May is incapable of learning from past experience.

3) The Cabinet is still holding out for a Unicorn hero to save them from their grand no-deal bluff.

4) The Cabinet do not believe the DUP or the Tory remainers are bluffing about a VONC.
  • Options
    Presumably that only affects remote controlled drones, not autonomous ones.
  • Options

I work well on my own and in teams.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

I prefer to work alone.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Dura_Ace said:

I am adaptable and willing to take on any role if asked.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Hizzoner is sentencing her and her brother concurrently?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

The judge can work it out if the jury ask for a direction or if the judge changes from accepting a unanimous verdict to lower threshold.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

The judge can work it out if the jury ask for a direction or if the judge changes from accepting a unanimous verdict to lower threshold.
    Would it be the same judge for the second trial?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Dura_Ace said:

I am adaptable and willing to take on any role if asked.
    I like to keep it in the family.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    Does anyone understand Andrea Leadsom's plan for a managed No Deal?

Apparently it still involves negotiating a deal with a transition period, but presumably no backstop? Is she suggesting we should give up anything in return for the EU giving up the backstop? If not, why should the EU agree to her "No Deal Deal"?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Edit: Fake account lol
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    edited December 2018
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/FionaOnasanya/status/1075422858971701251

She's appealing; how the flying f*ck did she pass her LPC ?

Privelidge?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/FionaOnasanya/status/1075422858971701251

She's appealing; how the flying f*ck did she pass her LPC ?

I think that's a parody account. She's not an ex MP... yet....
  • Options
    FAKE NEWS alert !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Edit: Fake account lol

That's not her account if that's your source.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Gauke’s judgement was shown to be fundamentally flawed on the Worboys case. Why would anyone expect it to be different on Brexit or anything else.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Cyclefree said:

Well he did pay for it.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I doubt it, the evidence was overwhelming.

In the two trials, 21 out of 23 jurors believed her to be guilty.
This discussion has been closed.